• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speculate about the PS4 Contest

Log4Girlz

jeff_rigby said:
Naming conventions employed by Sony and others do have some logic that we the uninformed masses may not understand.

I'm sure all know by now that the Xbox name derived from Microsoft's DirectX required for primarily games. Naming conventions for Sony are at the same time more and less obscure...Playstation is obvious but the numbering scheme has some recent connections with features that might not be coincidence. Playstation 2 supports 2D, Playstation 3 supports 3D and 3-D and Playstation 4 is going to support 4K resolution. And yes this requires a very long view that to most of us is impossible to conceive so we think it coincidence.

Numbering schemes are important to Sony programmers also. All firmware updates to multiple Sony platforms to enable Flash 3.5 video streams have a 3 and 5 in them; PS3 firmware 3.5, PSP firmware 6.35, Torne 3.5.

Yes I believe you're right, playstation 2 in fact was the first system to ever support 2D iirc.

*rolls eyes*

Caramello

jeff_rigby said:
Naming conventions employed by Sony and others do have some logic that we the uninformed masses may not understand.

I'm sure all know by now that the Xbox name derived from Microsoft's DirectX required for primarily games. Naming conventions for Sony are at the same time more and less obscure...Playstation is obvious but the numbering scheme has some recent connections with features that might not be coincidence. Playstation 2 supports 2D, Playstation 3 supports 3D and 3-D and Playstation 4 is going to support 4K resolution. And yes this requires a very long view that to most of us is impossible to conceive so we think it coincidence.

Numbering schemes are important to Sony programmers also. All firmware updates to multiple Sony platforms to enable Flash 3.5 video streams have a 3 and 5 in them; PS3 firmware 3.5, PSP firmware 6.35, Torne 3.5.

KuGsj.gif

jeff_rigby said:
Naming conventions for Sony are at the same time more and less obscure...Playstation is obvious but the numbering scheme has some recent connections with features that might not be coincidence. Playstation 2 supports 2D, Playstation 3 supports 3D and 3-D and Playstation 4 is going to support 4K resolution. And yes this requires a very long view that to most of us is impossible to conceive so we think it coincidence.

What? Even the PS1 had 2d and 3d graphics

Mandoric said:
Ivy Bridge-most modern x86 chips in fact-can handle 4k video, just at a high enough CPU usage to make them poor at multitasking while doing so. Cell is definitely more efficient at the task, but a shift to h/w decoders is indicative of a cheap splash in dedicated silicon to improve the average user's experience rather than a long-term strategy to handle video--I'm 99% sure their solution doesn't handle the 10bit format now a standard feature of x264 and it certainly won't be able to handle h.265/HEVC slated for next year.
That's more accurate than my post but essentially you are saying the same thing.

I would GUESS that the fixed hardware video decoding in Ivy bridge does include support for video codecs on the immediate horizon but probably can't support what hasn't been envisioned yet. Edit: h.265 looks like it can be supported by Ivy bridge. The internal flow chart diagrams for the video codec do have the same process names as used by h.265.

The AMD and Intel designs allow more X86 cores in a package to run efficiently. More cores in a package became possible because smaller dies sizes allow the real-estate on a chip to have more cores and since cores are more energy efficient at smaller die sizes they generate less heat so more can be in a package. BUT according to reports some of the new AMD multi-core designs can not run 100% duty cycle with all cores, they will overheat. Games for long periods can require 100% of a CPU.

The Power PC and Cell designs can run faster and cooler because they are RISC with smaller less complicated cores. They are less efficient per clock cycle at general purpose tasks but can run faster and use less energy with repetitive simple tasks. Video encoding/decoding and games are for the most part simple repetitive tasks. This is the reason all game machines of this generation have PowerPC processors. It doesn't look like that's changing.

My guess is Sony is sticking with some improved PowerPC Cell Hybrid.

Hydrogen Bluebird said:
What? Even the PS1 had 2d and 3d graphics
I guess I didn't make it clear, I'm talking about PS2 2-D video support, PS3 3-D video support and PS4 4K resolution video support.

3D as it first person viewpoint starts for the most part with the PS2 with full support in the PS3. 3-D starts 100% with the PS3 and is a distinguishing feature worthy of a "Name" based on that feature, same for 4K resolution and the PS4.

Caramello

jeff_rigby said:
I guess I didn't make it clear, I'm talking about PS2 2-D video support, PS3 3-D video support and PS4 4K resolution video support.

3D as it first person viewpoint starts for the most part with the PS2 with full support in the PS3. 3-D starts 100% with the PS3 and is a distinguishing feature worthy of a "Name" based on that feature, same for 4K resolution and the PS4.

OR it might just be that the PlayStation 2 is the second PlayStation and the PlayStation 3 is the third? If the PS3 was going to be named after a distinguishing feature they would have called it the PlayStation HD.

Caramello said:
OR it might just be that the PlayStation 2 is the second PlayStation and the PlayStation 3 is the third? If the PS3 was going to be named after a distinguishing feature they would have called it the PlayStation HD.
You do know that the PS2 supported 1080i, the original PS3 design had two HDMI ports as at that time it was the only way to display 3-D. 3-D support for the PS3 five years later came as a shock to many, it shouldn't have.

I guess we will have to wait and see if the Playstation after 4 is called 5 or something else.

I suppose you think the Sony IPTV framework developed by Charles Ying and others called Trilithium is because it's based on some fictional Lithium compound rather than a reference to the fuel that powers the Star Trek Enterprise Warp engines. A reference to empowering enterprise, I.E. making money using a javascript engine.

Or Rygel the Collabora Linux DLNA version 1.5 server isn't named for the Farscape character Rygel who is the Dominar. Dominar because of it's functionality compared to DLNA version 1.

No comment on Flash 3.5 streams and Sony version numbers?

There are some very smart people writing software with great imaginations and that bleeds over into other things than coding. I've said this before in other threads, we are getting clues constantly from Sony as to what they are doing but it's subtle. Too subtle sometimes <sigh>.

The Home 1.5 beta had sites that featured Foliage, a touted feature of the Sony Phyre game engine and Phyre just had a update to version 3.0 which supported Lua for scripting which is what Home uses. So can we say that the totally revamped Playstation Home is now using the Sony Phyre engine? No not definitely but clues are there.

herod

jeff_rigby said:
You do know that the PS2 supported 1080i, the original PS3 design had two HDMI ports as at that time it was the only way to display 3-D. 3-D support for the PS3 five years later came as a shock to many, it shouldn't have.

I guess we will have to wait and see if the Playstation after 4 is called 5 or something else.

I suppose you think the Sony IPTV framework developed by Charles Ying and others called Trilithium is because it's based on some fictional Lithium compound rather than a reference to the fuel that powers the Star Trek Enterprise Warp engines. A reference to empowering enterprise, I.E. making money using a javascript engine.

Or Rygel the Collabora Linux DLNA version 1.5 server isn't named for the Farscape character Rygel who is the Dominar. Dominar because of it's functionality compared to DLNA version 1.

No comment on Flash 3.5 streams and Sony version numbers?

There are some very smart people writing software with great imaginations and that bleeds over into other things than coding. I've said this before in other threads, we are getting clues constantly from Sony as to what they are doing but it's subtle. Too subtle sometimes <sigh>.

The Home 1.5 beta had sites that featured Foliage, a touted feature of the Sony Phyre game engine and Phyre just had a update to version 3.0 which supported Lua for scripting which is what Home uses. So can we say that the totally revamped Playstation Home is now using the Sony Phyre engine? No not definitely but clues are there.

this is awesome. lol.

Raistlin

I think a potential CPU design would (mostly) remove the shackles of CELL's asymmetric architecture. Similar to expectations for Wii U, I would suspect an OoO POWER-derived CPU. Here I'd imagine a POWER7 as opposed to the rumored quad-core POWER6 'Fox' CPU for Nintendo, though POWER6 may be enough due to extra cores.

It would have the same or higher per-core eDRAM ratio as Wii U, and be 6-8 cores. The final core count and frequencies would be based on what yields the best balance of performance, TDP, costs, etc. Where it gets weird however, is I can envision it also have a die-shrunk CELL PPE* as a co-processor.

That is not to say it would be asymmetric. Instead, all game code would actually run on the main POWER6/7 cores. The PPE would be used exclusively for the OS and multitasking when running PS4 content.

This yields some benefits:
  • Other than a relatively small RAM footprint, games are not sharing resources with the OS. No worries of threading on the PPE, nor giving up a core. Basically hit that shit to the max.
  • The OS has powerful, dedicated processing for things like in-game XMB and multitasking. All of the issues PS3 had in this department go away with tons of room for added OS-level and multitasking functions.
  • PS3 'emulation' now becomes relatively trivial*. When playing PS3 content, the PPE acts as it did in CELL, and the POWER6/7 cores function as SPE's.

Basically you get a very powerful architecture for gaming, dedicated silicon for OS and multitasking functions, and full PS3 BC.

*The CELL architecture actually had 7 functioning SPE's, with one dedicated to the OS. If they were to only select 6 cores for the POWER6/7-derived CPU, they may need to add a single SPE to the PPE.

Raistlin said:
I think a potential CPU design would (mostly) remove the shackles of CELL's asymmetric architecture. Similar to expectations for Wii U, I would suspect an OoO POWER-derived CPU. Here I'd imagine a POWER7 as opposed to the rumored quad-core POWER6 'Fox' CPU for Nintendo, though POWER6 may be enough due to extra cores.

It would have the same or higher per-core eDRAM ratio as Wii U, and be 6-8 cores. The final core count and frequencies would be based on what yields the best balance of performance, TDP, costs, etc. Where it gets weird however, is I can envision it also have a die-shrunk CELL PPE* as a co-processor.

That is not to say it would be asymmetric. Instead, all game code would actually run on the main POWER6/7 cores. The PPE would be used exclusively for the OS and multitasking when running PS4 content.

This yields some benefits:
  • Other than a relatively small RAM footprint, games are not sharing resources with the OS. No worries of threading on the PPE, nor giving up a core. Basically hit that shit to the max.
  • The OS has powerful, dedicated processing for things like in-game XMB and multitasking. All of the issues PS3 had in this department go away with tons of room for added OS-level and multitasking functions.
  • PS3 'emulation' now becomes relatively trivial*. When playing PS3 content, the PPE acts as it did in CELL, and the POWER6/7 cores function as SPE's.

Basically you get a very powerful architecture for gaming, dedicated silicon for OS and multitasking functions, and full PS3 BC.

*The CELL architecture actually had 7 functioning SPE's, with one dedicated to the OS. If they were to only select 6 cores for the POWER6/7-derived CPU, they may need to add a single SPE to the PPE.
Certainly a well thought out possibility. In reading through older threads on the PS4 some things pop out. Sony might use cheaper DDR ram and that would require more eDRAM in the Cell so that supports much of your argument. But for cost reasons Sony in the article is going to use the same SPUs with minor changes (more cache assumed) and a FEW more SPUs to be determined by developer feedback. They might use a couple of newer PowerPC CPUs in addition to more SPUs, I certainly hope so.

The article mentioned a 4 year life cycle for the Playstation not 10 years in future generations because creating a Playstation console with tech/power that lasts 10 years is prohibitively expensive. This supports a PS4 that is not 10 times more powerful but some lesser amount to be determined by both Game Developers and Sony...PS4 cost the determining factor.

The articles seem reasonable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Raistlin, I disagree. The relatively simple.nature of the CELL SPEs vs full cores should mean you can fit more on the same die, or the same number for less cost. And considering the gaming-focused tasks they are likely to be doing, super-SPEs would be enough. Have some improvements to memory access etc

plus theyd give you BC, at least in the CPU (and the GPU should be simpler to do BC than trying to emulate the GS was)

Rolf NB

Raistlin said:

Here's what I don't get:
The challenge for Cell programming was the memory model. Not the asymmetry. SPEs can do anything the PPU could do, minus (fast) arbitrary access to any memory anywhere, anytime. The easiest way to solve the asymmetry "problem" in Cell is to not use the PPU for anything. But that isn't the problem that needed solving. It's the memory model.

With that said, what do you think eDRAM would be good for? If it's cache, let's curb the exciting buzz talk and just call it that: cache. If OTOH it's supposed to be a private memory space ... wouldn't that be just a new flavor of local store? A repeat of Cell's biggest practical challenge? Why is that preferable to the current SPE model, where all the hard work has already been done?

Raistlin

mrklaw said:
Raistlin, I disagree. The relatively simple.nature of the CELL SPEs vs full cores should mean you can fit more on the same die, or the same number for less cost. And considering the gaming-focused tasks they are likely to be doing, super-SPEs would be enough. Have some improvements to memory access etc

plus theyd give you BC, at least in the CPU (and the GPU should be simpler to do BC than trying to emulate the GS was)
I don't necessary think it's the best move.

It was more about riffing on the idea that Sony is moving away from CELL, reportedly due to developer criticism. A number of analysts have theorized that Sony may go to a symmetrical architecture in order to ease general development as well as to be close to PC's and console competitors to ease porting.

Given that assumption as a possible direction, I was trying to sort out a design in my head that would allow for BC and improve upon PS3's shortcomings in terms of multitasking and in-game OS functionality.

Raistlin

Rolf NB said:
Here's what I don't get:
The challenge for Cell programming was the memory model. Not the asymmetry. SPEs can do anything the PPU could do, minus (fast) arbitrary access to any memory anywhere, anytime. The easiest way to solve the asymmetry "problem" in Cell is to not use the PPU for anything. But that isn't the problem that needed solving. It's the memory model.
I was under the impression there were more limitations to SPE's? ... but yes, the memory model is one of the more significant issues I assume.

With that said, what do you think eDRAM would be good for? If it's cache, let's curb the exciting buzz talk and just call it that: cache. If OTOH it's supposed to be a private memory space ... wouldn't that be just a new flavor of local store? A repeat of Cell's biggest practical challenge? Why is that preferable to the current SPE model, where all the hard work has already been done?
If you look at the descriptions of the Wii U CPU, besides local storage (2 levels of cache IIRC), the cores have a 'significant' shared store (I suppose it could be considered L3 cache?). Reportedly it's quite a bit of eDRAM (32MB was one listing I read).

So yes, it solves the memory model of CELL.

As far as the 'buzz talk' though, if people don't understand what it means ... too bad. They can either ask or look it up. It's embedded DRAM. I'm calling a spade a spade.

Raistlin

mrklaw, Rolf NB,

Just to clarify ... I'm not advocating that design. It was simply a thought experiment based on predictions they'd go symmetric.

If you actually look at some of my previous posts regarding PS4 expectations --- dating back to well before the incorrect reports of CELL's demise a year or two ago, though discussion picked up quite a bit then --- I've actually been a proponent of continuing CELL. Not just for BC, but because I think it makes sense for a console architecture.

Not coincidentally, beyond potentially adding more PPE's and SPE's, the main update I was advocating was a pool of shared memory ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thanks for the clarification

are devs still.complaining about CELL? I thought that was earlier in the PS3's life.

so tech gaf.

if the rumors of Sony switching to AMD for the ps4 GPU are true does that mean Backwards compatibility is out?

That would kind of suck. Not that play alot of old games or anything but its all the PSN stuff that I would like to keep around.

stuff like Pixel Junk games will probably look just as good on the ps4 then they do on the ps3 since they are already in full 1080p / 60fps.

well unless sony push 4X in the ps4 but that would be dumb.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
depends how close to the.metal devs.were allowed on.the ps3. In theory.if they didnt go very.low.level then emulating a 'standard' pc gpu might be doable

certainly more.doable than.trying.to emulate GS from PS2

PS3 Developer Has Shifted 'Entire Focus' to PlayStation 4 - Report

Developers speaking to IndustryGamers have indicated that there are more improvements to be made still on PS3, but those same people could soon be looking to the PS4. According to an Edge report, one of Sony's top PS3 developers has already put its full force behind PS4 development.
I'd guess this confirms LESS than 2 years to a PS4 release. Normal development cycle for most games I've heard is 2 years. IF all are on the PS4 project that might indicate a need to push for a less that 2 year window. The Digitimes article is getting more support.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/ps3-developer-has-moved-on-to-ps4/ said:
Who it is and what they are working on was obviously not revealed, but this shift could also signal an earlier than anticipated arrival for the next generation consoles. With dates having been speculated as far out as 2014, these new rumors suggest that late 2012 could be the release of the new hardware.
http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/rumor-xbox-720-in-2012-ps4-not-far-behind-9569 said:
Sources close to Edge have told the magazine that Ubisoft Montreal, as well as other developers have preliminary hardware based on the "intended specifications of Microsoft's Xbox 360 successor". Genuine dev kits on custom hardware are expected before this Christmas, which points to a 2012 retail release.

This would mean Microsoft would have to have something to show at E3 2012. Their goal, would be to keep the Wii U from gaining any ground in the next generation console war, and again get the jump on Sony.

Then again, Sony may be closer to a PS4 than previously thought. Edge also says that one Sony-owned developer has ceased work on the PS3 completely, and moved on to the successor's hardware.

Another guess would be it's 100% backwardly compatible with the PS3 and a game developed for the PS4 could also run on a PS3 with somewhat less game detail like the Vita does with PS3 titles but in reverse. Something like this would shift a developer to support the more powerful machine with down-converting resources to a PS3 possible but up-converting to a PS4 more difficult. You don't drop support for a platform (PS3) with millions of potential customers for one that is just starting, you support both unless my above reasoning is accurate. This would remove much of the support for PS4 early release but both guesses could be accurate.

More support for a Cell type CPU?

Aaron Lee, Taipei; Adam Hwang, DIGITIMES [Monday 4 July 2011]

Sony will have Taiwan-based partners begin production of PlayStation 4 (PS4) featuring body movement-based control like Kinect at the end of 2011 for launch in 2012, according to Taiwan-based component makers.

Foxconn and Pegatron Technology, assemblers of PS3, will undertake assembly of PS4 as well, the sources pointed out. The planned shipment volume of PS4 in 2012 is at least 20 million units, the sources indicated.
End of 2011 would have 22-28nm die for GPU and Cell.

In reading through older threads on the PS4 some things pop out. Sony might use cheaper DDR ram and that would require more eDRAM in the Cell. For cost reasons Sony in the article is going to use the same SPUs with minor changes (more cache assumed) and a FEW more SPUs to be determined by developer feedback. They might use a couple of newer PowerPC CPUs in addition to more SPUs, I certainly hope so.

The article mentioned a 4 year life cycle for the Playstation not 10 years in future generations because creating a Playstation console with tech/power that lasts 10 years is prohibitively expensive. This supports a PS4 that is not 10 times more powerful but some lesser amount to be determined by both Game Developers and Sony...PS4 cost the determining factor.

Factors supporting an early release of a PS4:

1) DRM, the current PS3 is broken, a new Key and system is now more likely.

2) Power efficiency, third world countries are the next big market and cost of electricity is expensive. That can be partially fixed with a new smaller die size.

3) As Patsu said, a higher res PS Eye is needed/rumored but the current USB port couldn't handle that. That has new Set top boxes by others having a much better picture than Sony products. In my opinion a big plus for a new system.

4) Voice and motion detection using pattern masking recognition is very memory intensive, the Kinect method and "move" are shortcuts to use fewer resources. More memory is needed.

5) 3-D is just barely possible on the PS3 for AAA games and a slightly more powerful chipset needed. 1080P 3-D and higher framerates for 2-D needed.

I doubt this rumor (20 Million sold the first year) unless newer hardware is faster, uses less power, offers more features and is cheaper. The same theme is in all articles, cheaper with less than our wished for 10X increase in performance. This also would allow an early release for the PS4.

Hyoushi

jeff_rigby said:
Another guess would be it's 100% backwardly compatible with the PS3 and a game developed for the PS4 could also run on a PS3 with somewhat less game detail like the Vita does with PS3 titles but in reverse.

You don't drop support for a platform (PS3) with millions of potential customers for one that is just starting, you support both unless my above reasoning is accurate.

Dyno

As the name kind of implies it will be FOUR PS3s duct together with goose tape and it will spin around very fast so there will be no need for fans.

Also, it is more than a year away at least and none of us should give a fuck at this point.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
These machines will be upgrades to the existing product line, as iPad2 is to iPad.

At this stage in the game there is no reason whatsoever to depart from the existing tech strategy for either Sony or MS, CELL will continue to be used.

Developer "comfort" isn't a factor close in magnitude to the potential disadvantage created by abandoning backwards compatibility across the PS3/PSN portfolio.

Not that this should really matter anyway. A major advantage of increasing base power is you are better in position to offer high-level code development sandboxes.

noobie

Banned
jeff_rigby said:
PS3 Developer Has Shifted 'Entire Focus' to PlayStation 4 - Report

I'd guess this confirms LESS than 2 years to a PS4 release. Normal development cycle for most games I've heard is 2 years. IF all are on the PS4 project that might indicate a need to push for a less that 2 year window. The Digitimes article is getting more support.

Another guess would be it's 100% backwardly compatible with the PS3 and a game developed for the PS4 could also run on a PS3 with somewhat less game detail like the Vita does with PS3 titles but in reverse. Something like this would shift a developer to support the more powerful machine with down-converting resources to a PS3 possible but up-converting to a PS4 more difficult. You don't drop support for a platform (PS3) with millions of potential customers for one that is just starting, you support both unless my above reasoning is accurate. This would remove much of the support for PS4 early release but both guesses could be accurate.

More support for a Cell type CPU?

In reading through older threads on the PS4 some things pop out. Sony might use cheaper DDR ram and that would require more eDRAM in the Cell. For cost reasons Sony in the article is going to use the same SPUs with minor changes (more cache assumed) and a FEW more SPUs to be determined by developer feedback. They might use a couple of newer PowerPC CPUs in addition to more SPUs, I certainly hope so.

Factors supporting an early release of a PS4:

1) DRM, the current PS3 is broken, a new Key and system is now more likely.

2) Power efficiency, third world countries are the next big market and cost of electricity is expensive. That can be partially fixed with a new smaller die size.

3) As Patsu said, a higher res PS Eye is needed/rumored but the current USB port couldn't handle that. That has new Set top boxes by others having a much better picture than Sony products. In my opinion a big plus for a new system.

4) Voice and motion detection using pattern masking recognition is very memory intensive, the Kinect method and "move" are shortcuts to use fewer resources. More memory is needed.

5) 3-D is just barely possible on the PS3 for AAA games and a slightly more powerful chipset needed. 1080P 3-D and higher framerates for 2-D needed.

I doubt this rumor (20 Million sold the first year) unless newer hardware is faster, uses less power, offers more features and is cheaper. The same theme is in all articles, cheaper with less than our wished for 10X increase in performance. This also would allow an early release for the PS4.

I partially believe with your analysis..
But one thing which is confusing me is that if Sony is going with an updated version of Cell then IBM should have been involved in it.. But as far as i know IBM stopped all future development on Cell.
But there was this one statement by IBM that they will develop Cell if they get request...

One of the reason i believe Sony will like or SHOULD continue with the updated Cell version in PS4 is that Sony is not a very strong Software company and they did took a lot of time for getting all the tools and compilers and engines for PS3.. and by the time their game studios started understanding and utilizing the PS3 properly they had lost the battle... 3rd Parties are not going to push a very crazy architecture as Sony expected them. But now most of the third parties and Sony own studios have not started the hang of the Cell but also they have produced some pretty impressive games.

Moreover with the advent of network gaming the amount of background resources and stuff you have to setup for each console have gone crazily high.. You have to optimize not only OS but also the Network and its associated services and so many other things. Its simply not logical for a reinvestment in all these stuff.

So if Sony goes with PS4 based on Cell then they can use the existing OS of PS3 which is pretty optimized and network and may be, just may be the PS3 and PS4 consumer can play together on the PSN without much of a problem. if PS4 games are compatible on PS3 with lower setting as you mentioned.

/loud thoughts

artist

Banned
I'll go completely out on a limb and guess Sony will not go with Nvidia this round. I'm basing this solely on how games have evolved and the unified shader arch has evolved post PS3. BC shouldnt be a problem either, only that it will be harder to tweak the codebase in reverse (for the PS3) for a game developed on PS4 .. However multi-platform codebase shouldnt be as difficult to port as both Nintendo and Microsoft will be going with some sort of AMD design.

I'm basing this solely on how Nvidia's designs have lately been compared to AMD's - large dies that are not really on par with perf/mm2. Add to that Nvidia's contracts in these sort of things is always more expensive than AMDs. These two factors should reduce the GPU cost quite a bit.

AMD also has the upper hand in GDDR5 tracing on the boards which could be of help to the PS4 dev team.

Joe Molotov

jeff_rigby said:

And the Playstation 1 only supported 1D graphics, but they looked amazing back then!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
jeff_rigby said:
I think there is some truth to this; for years, rumors circulated about some of the names Sony considered for the PS2, the most trending were: PS3, PSDVD, and PStory. Same sources cited that some of the suggested PS3 names were: PS2, PS2HD, PSBlu, and PS1080p120fps.

FatalT

Banned
jeff_rigby said:
Having a parent that was bipolar kept me from developing your form of posting. LOL
What does that even mean? Apparently bipolar disorder causes mental deficiency in offspring.

Joe Molotov said:
And the Playstation 1 only supported 1D graphics, but they looked amazing back then!

Playstation 1 played Audio CDs (1D)!

Ken Kutaragi had it all outlined right from the start. Mind blown.

But 4K sounds kind of lame, Ken please come back everything is forgotten.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I wonder what the PS5 is going to be a reference to?

PS5

P is an inverted 9

S in an inverted 2

5 is an inverted 2

So now we have the number 922, but what's the significance of this number?

Maybe it's the birthday of someone, someone really important, say someone named Ken Kutaragi?

This may seem like a coincidence, almost impossible to conceive, but all it really takes is a very long view.

PS6

Think about it.

Six degrees of separation.

Who is everyone six degrees of separation away from?

Kevin Bacon.

If you buy six PS6's, you will become Kevin Bacon!

painful fart said:
Playstation 1 played Audio CDs (1D)!

Ken Kutaragi had it all outlined right from the start. Mind blown.

But 4K sounds kind of lame, Ken please come back everything is forgotten.
The first console in the series, the PlayStation, was the first video game console to ship 100 million units after 9 years and 6 months of its initial launch.[2] Its successor, PlayStation 2, is the best-selling console to date, having reached over 150 million units sold as of January 31, 2011.[3] Sony's current console, PlayStation 3, has sold over 50 million consoles worldwide as of March 29, 2011.[
There was no Playstation 1, it was just called Playstation. Playstation 2 supports 2D, Playstation 3 supports 3-D and Playstation 4 supports 4K media. Sony is a MEDIA company and the Playstation series has supported MEDIA with the PS2 supporting a DVD, PS3 supporting blu-ray 3-D and the PS4 4K blu-ray.

Xbox then Xbox 360 signifying a 360 view for first person (out of the eyes of the character you are playing or true 3D not 3-D. Yes the numbers provably mean something for the Xbox and I'm speculating that they do for Sony as well.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
jeff_rigby said:
Xbox then Xbox 360 signifying a 360 view for first person (out of the eyes of the character you are playing or true 3D not 3-D. Yes the numbers provably mean something for the Xbox and I'm speculating that they do for Sony as well.
Hmmm, I never thought about it this way, then again I rarely examine these things as carefully.

amrihua

Don't quote me on this, but I don't see the next Playstation having a Cell BBE. IBM halted all development on it and unless Sony is going solo on the Cell, which is highly unlikely, Sony will have to go with another solution. Though, it might be another Cell. Sony has the tendency to repeat some of its design decisions regardless of whether they always make sense or not.

herod

The problem with the '3' of 'PS3' signifying '3D' or '3-D', apart from being almost ridiculously pointless, is also factually incorrect. Binocular perception of stereo images isn't 3D at all, and provides no meaningful information that the human brain couldn't already work out without the stereoscopic presentation, except in cases of optical illusions (although ironically I believe their only 3D optical illusion game, Echochrome, doesn't actually support 3D anyway).

Head tracking that actually lets you change your viewpoint is more "3D" than stereoscopic image presentation. Something that was accomplished on the Nintendo DS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf8udkeVcVs

I wonder what will Sony call their Playstation that can connect to actual holographic 3D displays? I guess they failed to take that into account in their naming scheme.

herod said:
The problem with the '3' of 'PS3' signifying '3D' or '3-D', apart from being almost ridiculously pointless, is also factually incorrect. Binocular perception of stereo images isn't 3D at all, and provides no meaningful information that the human brain couldn't already work out without the stereoscopic presentation, except in cases of optical illusions (although ironically I believe their only 3D optical illusion game, Echochrome, doesn't actually support 3D anyway).

Head tracking that actually lets you change your viewpoint is more "3D" than stereoscopic image presentation. Something that was accomplished on the Nintendo DS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf8udkeVcVs

I wonder what will Sony call their Playstation that can connect to actual holographic 3D displays? I guess they failed to take that into account in their naming scheme.
They will have to go with with another name. It's just a coincidence that Sony took advantage of in their numbering scheme and that breaks with 5. It's still speculation but I believe Sony knew they were going to introduce 3-D during the life of the PS3 and 4K resolution during the life of the PS4. There is also that PS3 Firmware 4.0 may enable 4K resolution on the PS3 in early 2012. I'm afraid that if that is true the new browser may be delayed till early next year also.

jeff_rigby said:
There is also that PS3 Firmware 4.0 may enable 4K resolution on the PS3 in early 2012. I'm afraid that if that is true the new browser may be delayed till early next year also.
If I'm to assume that you're on to something with your hypotheses, this suggestion seems preposterous. You only get one chance to do something as brilliant as releasing the fourth iteration of something that also happens to coincide with 4K resolution capability. Why would they waste that opportunity with a firmware update?

They wouldn't. The fourth iteration of their PlayStation-branded home console having 4K resolution is far too perfect an opportunity to pass up.

TheExodu5

Banned
CPU:
New IBM architecture. Quad-core CPU (no SPUs). 3.4GHz

GPU:
AMD 7xxx series offshoot

RAM:
2GB DDR3

HDD:
250GB/500GB

MEDIA:Blur-Ray

CONTROLLERS/NO_CONTROLLERS:
DS4 with concave triggers.

PRICE:
$399/$499

I think they're going to be overly conservative with this one.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Steve Youngblood said:
If I'm to assume that you're on to something with your hypotheses, this suggestion seems preposterous. You only get one chance to do something as brilliant as releasing the fourth iteration of something that also happens to coincide with 4K resolution capability. Why would they waste that opportunity with a firmware update?

They wouldn't. The fourth iteration of their PlayStation-branded home console having 4K resolution is far too perfect an opportunity to pass up.

There may be something the the '4' thing...

- Quad-core @ 4Ghz
- 4 Cells
- 4GB RAM
- 4K resolution (at least for BR)
- 400GB harddrive
- 4 PS platforms compatibility with PS, PS2, PS3, PS4
- Part of Sony's new Four-Screen Platform
- 4 USBs, Bluetooth 4.0
- $400 ($399)

;)

Launches with: Killzone 4 and Uncharted 4, naturally. Maybe 4 months apart.

Jibbed

Arkham said:
There may be something the the '4' thing...

- Quad-core @ 4Ghz
- 4 Cells
- 4GB RAM
- 4K resolution (at least for BR)
- 400GB harddrive
- 4 PS platforms compatibility with PS, PS2, PS3, PS4
- Part of Sony's new Four-Screen Platform
- 4 USBs, Bluetooth 4.0
- $400 ($399)

;)

Launches with: Killzone 4 and Uncharted 4, naturally. Maybe 4 months apart.

I see what you did there.

Really though... I'm expecting something along the lines of:

- 6-core CPU @ 3.4~GHz
- Dual-core GPU based off GTX500/Radeon 6000 series, similar to high-end cards like 570
- 2/3/4GB of RAM (I can picture Sony using 2GB to save money)
- 120GB HDD at launch, 320GB/500GB in later models
- USB/Bluetooth controllers, no changes from Dualshock 3 (concave sticks?! PLEASE?!)
- Primarily a digital/cloud platform, PS1/PS2/PS3 games available on PSN Store
- Blu-ray drive, I wouldn't bet on backwards compatibility

Price: $499

Aren´t the japanese afraid to death of the number four?

Friends told me it´s a bad number in their culture and it equates death.

Logic points to the next Playstation being PS4, but with this in mind Sony might try to change the name.

Knoxcore

I've changed my predictions multiple times before, so lets change them again.

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 6870 derivative (was released in Q4 2010)
CPU: 3.55GHz IBM POWER7 710 Express (octo-core) -- PLEASE Sony, go with the simpler architecture.
RAM: 2GB of XDR2 and 1GB of GDDR5
HD: 16GB of SSD for the OS and 500GB HDD
Optical: Blu Ray read up to 100GB discs with possibility of firmware upgrade
Controllers: DS4 with real triggers
Ports: 2 HDMI, 3 USB 3.0, Ethernet, Optical etc.

Price: $399

A lot of this depends on the release date. If it's launching in 2012, these are the specs I'll expect (or something within that range).

Top Bottom