• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid questions that don't deserve their own individual threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bollocks

So how do models get paid?
Like Victoria's Secret fashion show, how do they pay non US models?
Normally if you want to work here you need some kind of visa, without that it's illegal to earn money, you can still do it voluntarily but no money for you. So how do they get their money, do they really hand out visas to models? lol
Likewise what's the situation in Europe with non members of the EU?

VERY stupid question, but:

Can anyone tell me why anyone would opt to shoot on a "proper" HD video camera over a DSLR? I feel like all the footage I see with SLRs looks a lot better than what you can get otherwise. Is it just that you can record longer? Easier to hold? What's the point?

Cyan

Banned
So how do models get paid?
Like Victoria's Secret fashion show, how do they pay non US models?
Normally if you want to work here you need some kind of visa, without that it's illegal to earn money, you can still do it voluntarily but no money for you. So how do they get their money, do they really hand out visas to models? lol
Likewise what's the situation in Europe with non members of the EU?

Presumably yes, the organizations get visas for their models or otherwise have deals in place with the respective governments.

OK, this seems fairly daft and basically confirms I have poor understanding of internal anatomy, but here goes...

Why is it when one takes a leak, it's harder for one to hold in a shit? I figure it involves muscles.

Bollocks

Presumably yes, the organizations get visas for their models or otherwise have deals in place with the respective governments.
Well, the more you know, there is actually a visa specifically for fashion models lol:
http://definitions.uslegal.com/h/h-1b3-visa/
H-1B3
The H-1B3 Visa is a nonimmigrant Visa issued aliens who come temporarily to the U.S. to work as fashion models. The fashion model should be nationally or internationally recognized for his/her achievements, merit and abilities.

Angry Fork

Why does the taste of water turn bad when you let it sit for a few hours or longer? Especially if it's in a bottle/container. Maybe not 'bad' in the sense that it 'spoils' but the difference is very noticeable.

Why does the taste of water turn bad when you let it sit for a few hours or longer? Especially if it's in a bottle/container. Maybe not 'bad' in the sense that it 'spoils' but the difference is very noticeable.

You mean why does water taste like shit after you leave it in a bottle overnight ? Yeah, I have the same question. Why ?

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan

Wait until you drink milk that isn't straight out of the fridge.

bleurgh

i recently partitioned my hard drive to use as backup space. things were good until yesterday

where when i restarted my computer it goes to the starting windows screen it stays there for awhile but eventually goes to a black screen with just a cursor.

i've tried putting the recovery disk in but it will show a screen that says windows is loading files but goes to the black screen and i cant login my computer any way even through safe mode or low screen resolution

is there any suggestions or way of getting files off the hard drive if it is dead?

LordCanti

I wanted to buy something, so I signed up for an account at an online retailer. When I went to put in the e-mail, I missed a digit, and sent the e-mail to someone else. I didn't notice this until after I had purchased something.

So someone else has my name/address/phone etc, which I'm sure were all on the receipts they auto mail you when you buy something.

What is the courteous thing to do here GAF? E-mail the person, asking them to disregard any e-mails that might come addressed to me? I don't want the guy to think I've logged into his account to buy something, or anything like that. Do I just completely disregard?

I'm banging my head against my desk right now.

Obviously I've already changed all the account info, so that his e-mail account is no longer associated.

i recently partitioned my hard drive to use as backup space. things were good until yesterday

where when i restarted my computer it goes to the starting windows screen it stays there for awhile but eventually goes to a black screen with just a cursor.

i've tried putting the recovery disk in but it will show a screen that says windows is loading files but goes to the black screen and i cant login my computer any way even through safe mode or low screen resolution

is there any suggestions or way of getting files off the hard drive if it is dead?

If it can get to Windows, the drive isn't dead. It's likely that Windows is just corrupted or something. Create a linux live CD, and boot into it. You should then be able to get your data off. After that, you can try to repair the installation, using the Windows install discs.

If it can get to Windows, the drive isn't dead. It's likely that Windows is just corrupted or something. Create a linux live CD, and boot into it. You should then be able to get your data off. After that, you can try to repair the installation, using the Windows install discs.

you really are lord canti. going to try this and kinda feel dumb for not thinking of trying this. i'll reply back if it works.

as far as the email thing my advice is to probably ignore it unless is may have some information that is important and can harm you. most people are so used to spam email and such so the person may just ignore the email in the first place

and thank you again for the suggestion. going through a mental breakdown of losing all my music.

VERY stupid question, but:

Can anyone tell me why anyone would opt to shoot on a "proper" HD video camera over a DSLR? I feel like all the footage I see with SLRs looks a lot better than what you can get otherwise. Is it just that you can record longer? Easier to hold? What's the point?

For a new page. I must know!

Salazar

OK, this seems fairly daft and basically confirms I have poor understanding of internal anatomy, but here goes...

Why is it when one takes a leak, it's harder for one to hold in a shit? I figure it involves muscles.

I don't know, but the ability to leak with equal ease while erect would be godlike.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.

There are still a lot of basic features many camera operators are used to having access to in a more complete physical body, as well as an interface that's actually well-suited to video. For faster paced doc/eng work DSLRs don't make much sense.

For narrative, though... I'd probably pick DSLR every time depending on budget.

I don't know much about PC, but I have this Dell Inspiron and the soundcard is built on the motherboard. Can I buy a new soundcard without creating conflitcs/problems?

Yes, just boot the PC up and go into the BIOS and disable the onboard one, then install your new one.

Camera comes with more in and outputs for mics, external monitoring... They also have built in autofocus, timeline synchronization and other filming stuff I don't use.

Everybody jumped on DSLR for shooting movie because you can shoot amazingly sharp HD for half the price and the bokeh from the fast prime lens is giving a very peticular and beautiful creamy smooth blur.

alright i installed ubuntu 11.10 and was wondering how I would go about getting files in a backup i had when using windows 7

their are loads of zip files and i was wondering if their was a correct way to extract them as most would make no sense if done out of order I think. most the files are music and pictures if that helps

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Can we have a NeoGAF Holiday Name Tag Giveaway please?

Question about YouTube - I received an e-Mail saying I attained a subscriber, yet when I go to the YouTube page, there are none listed. In fact it still claims there is a "subscriber" (new channel, couple weeks old for personal stuff) on the left panel, but there's no subscribers listed under the section. I can find no reference to who subscribed, is this normal?

zychi

Banned
What's the best media/file player/streamer ala the Apple TV? I know there's the Roku and the WD Live. I want to be able to stream wirelessly, or throw a video file onto a flash drive and have no issue playing the files. Whether it be mkv, avi, or whatever. I'm hoping to keep the price under $100. Obviously this doesn't warrant a thread so I posted in here.

I got a crippling virus about a week ago, called something like - Win7 Security 2012. I decided it would be easier to just do the "restore to factory settings" option, or whatever it is, the one where it erases the hard drive and puts everything back to the way the computer was when it was new. I assumed this would erase the virus, and for a week my computer was fine. But today I got the same virus again. Was it just coincidence, or could the virus have still been lurking in my computer, even after that complete restore, and it just took a week to come out again? Maybe this is ridiculous, but could my iPod have the virus, and when I plugged it in again, I got the Win7 virus again? The first time I got the virus I was at a shady website, but when I got it again today it was normal websites like GAF and wikipedia. Why did I get this virus again? I had Microsoft Security Essentials, and that did no good. Should I buy a retail virus protection like microtrend security or something? Why does this keep happening?

I got a crippling virus about a week ago, called something like - Win7 Security 2012. I decided it would be easier to just do the "restore to factory settings" option, or whatever it is, the one where it erases the hard drive and puts everything back to the way the computer was when it was new. I assumed this would erase the virus, and for a week my computer was fine. But today I got the same virus again. Was it just coincidence, or could the virus have still been lurking in my computer, even after that complete restore, and it just took a week to come out again? Maybe this is ridiculous, but could my iPod have the virus, and when I plugged it in again, I got the Win7 virus again? The first time I got the virus I was at a shady website, but when I got it again today it was normal websites like GAF and wikipedia. Why did I get this virus again? I had Microsoft Security Essentials, and that did no good. Should I buy a retail virus protection like microtrend security or something? Why does this keep happening?

What kind of virus is it exactly? One of those "fake" security programs? If so, find the full name (when it opens) and Google for step by step information on how to fix it, should be discoverable.

Lo_Fi

Hey GAF, anybody know what the font is used for this book's title?:

41b7USsTJEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Or similar fonts if you don't know the exact one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom