• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Suikoden announced for PSP

scy

Every time I see this topic, I forget myself for a moment and get giddy. And then sad.

However, the director of this game is Osamu Komuta. He directed Tierkreis too. Hm. :/

:/ indeed. I mean, maybe it won't be so bad...! Tierkreis was an okay game, just not a very good Suikoden title! If I keep telling myself this, I may not crush my own soul!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
LOL, I'll take the hit and import it. I was already planning on doing so, but I guess this means I'll be getting the physical version rather than the digital version now.

I'll translate the rest of that article later tomorrow after my last exam.

R_thanatos said:
I WANT THAT suiko 5 theme... but it looks way to simple ..
Gonna have to pass
Yeah, they're all the logo art. So basically, you have the art if you have the OSTs! :lol

I suppose you're going to dislike me for ordering this Suikoden V artbook for myself this Christmas. :p Well, it's really a Kaori Fujita book, but it includes Suikoden V artwork. I was pretty close to ordering the Genso Suikoden V Complete Edition guide just for the art (and the awesome cover), but then I decided against it.

Even though Fumi Ishikawa is my favourite artist out there, Fujita's pretty great too.

I collect some of the clean doujin out there too, but most of mine involve Genso Suikoden I or II characters... and they have to have good art overall otherwise I'm not going to be interested in it. The Genso Suikoden Marugoto! book (it's the blue book in the last pic with all the Suikoden stuff) is a really nice collection of most of the art used in previous books, actually.

scy said:
:/ indeed. I mean, maybe it won't be so bad...! Tierkreis was an okay game, just not a very good Suikoden title! If I keep telling myself this, I may not crush my own soul!
And that's what worries me. :S

But given some of the plot details released so far, I'm not going to denounce this game just yet. Especially since they opened preorders for the Soundtrack Box yesterday, and they reprinted the huge Gensopedia that Akselziys has.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is there any gameplay of this?
Shockingly, no. We got some footage/screens of Tierkreis shortly after it was announced, iirc. So this is really weird...

So far, we've only gotten one battle screenshot in a magazine. Battles seem like they're like Tierkreis battles. No rune option, only skills. HP amounts are bigger than normal Suikoden games. Seems to use an MP bar, but I'm unsure if that's an MP bar since I couldn't make it out clearly. Models look kinda weird but that might be the scan quality.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The fact that Norio Wakamoto is voicing the leader of the resistance group should be enough for a lot of people to play it. In Wakamoto we trust!

Let's just hope his character doesn't die off or only get a smidgen of dialogue :(

Kudos to Dark Schala for translating. The lack of media is slightly alarming but plot details are giving me some hope.

scy

That's part of my conflict. I mean, at least Tierkreis wasn't a terrible game so, at the very least, this may still be a competent game itself so I'm happy for that. Then the Suikoden fan in me gets angry for that idea of settling for just a playable game.

I'll never give up the dream of Suikoden VI~

Dark Schala said:
LOL, I'll take the hit and import it. I was already planning on doing so, but I guess this means I'll be getting the physical version rather than the digital version now.

Thanks; it at least sounds as if they went with SOME realpolitik after a happy frolic in that other game.

I'll never give up the dream of Suikoden VI~

That's why we have Trails of.

if konami deosn't want to localize this, they should give the smaller publishers a chance to do so. i don't want to play a japanese rpg in 2012.

i'm glad they finally opened the pre-order for the suiko ost box, but that shit is so expensive with tax and customs, ugh. don't know if i could order it at my current level of sanity.

I'll translate the rest of that article later tomorrow after my last exam.
Please do
Yeah, they're all the logo art. So basically, you have the art if you have the OSTs! :lol
They are good as a freebie , indeed.BUt nothing else
I suppose you're going to dislike me for ordering this Suikoden V artbook for myself this Christmas. :p Well, it's really a Kaori Fujita book, but it includes Suikoden V artwork. I was pretty close to ordering the Genso Suikoden V Complete Edition guide just for the art (and the awesome cover), but then I decided against it.
Not at all i'm quite satisfied so far of my suiko 5 stuff . Nothing like you so far but i got everything i could when i could ( OST , manga, doujins ) ..yeah i'm missing that kind of artbook..but i can live with that as i could find the scans of the previous artook online.
Even though Fumi Ishikawa is my favourite artist out there, Fujita's pretty great too.

I collect some of the clean doujin out there too, but most of mine involve Genso Suikoden I or II characters... and they have to have good art overall otherwise I'm not going to be interested in it. The Genso Suikoden Marugoto! book (it's the blue book in the last pic with all the Suikoden stuff) is a really nice collection of most of the art used in previous books, actually.

But given some of the plot details released so far, I'm not going to denounce this game just yet. Especially since they opened preorders for the Soundtrack Box yesterday, and they reprinted the huge Gensopedia that Akselziys has.

It could do well if they realised WHY the previous teikreis wasn't received as well by the fans .. i am hoping that they understood what the previous one lacked even if they don't want to intrude in the original trilogy.. i'm sad we'll not get to explore the original world ..but if i can get my EPIC political turmoil with charismatic characters within the original concept ( more of less ) of runes ..i would be able to accept this game...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mmkay, here's the rest of the article. There were a few phrases here and there that I didn't completely get, but for the most part, it's semantically correct.

Also... apparently, for the soundtrack box set, they won't actually print it unless it has 1000 preorders. They've gotta be kidding me. At that price (25000 yen)? They're utterly mad. Hope... fading... D:

You can read the rest here:
Main character descriptions and pics
Boxart
The four other characters, incl. the hero's ancestor
Story Summary
The Holy Empire of Aionia
First Half of the Article Regarding Regional/Political Landscape; PSP Themes

Dirom Rantzess
Seiyuu: Ryūichi Kijima
“You greenhorns don’t make an appearance in this act.”

He is the leader of the 3rd Branch of the Holy Aionian Imperial Army. He’s very practical and leads his unit well, but some say that he lacks the soul of a soldier. He isn’t very popular. He comes from a noble family and tends to look down on commoners.

The Scarlet Axe
The Scarlet Axe is an underground organization expanding its support within the Regional Forces with the goal of defeating the Holy Aionian Empire. Its [original] leaders were overthrown in an incident three years ago and now Aaron (Norio Wakamoto) is now the leader. The origin of the organization’s name comes from their motto: “Even if we’re covered in the blood of our brethren, we’ll cut down the great tree, Aionia!” To show this, the members wear red gloves on their right hands. The members of this organization have all lost people dear to them and have vowed revenge against the Empire. What is this “Multillion Tragedy” that they had experienced?

The Scarlet Axe Leader: Aaron
Seiyuu: Norio Wakamoto
“As long as Aionia exists, we’ll never be content! That is the reason why our organization was formed!”

He is a middle-aged man with long, white hair. He is the leader of the Scarlet Axe, an underground organization that is now gaining support within the Regional Forces, with the goal of defeating the Holy Empire in mind. 20 years ago, while he was away, his hometown was destroyed and his wife and child killed. Because of this, he joined the Scarlet Axe. He acquired the leadership position by being very skilled in combat [Ed. Note: the phrase used here is “being aware of his footing” which is usually used in sports or combat. I took it as meaning that he has great spatial awareness in combat, of good swordsmanship, or even just short-range combat in general.]

Wakamoto-sama states, “He is very charismatic, an excellent speaker and he’s very sharp. But he’s also a very human character who can get caught up in himself/his emotions and show lots of reckless behaviour.”

Zaveed
Seiyuu: Takahiro Sakurai (yaaaaay)
"I will cut down the evil toxic tree, Aionia, by any means necessary!”

He is a sharp-eyed man with red hair. He feels a lot of animosity towards the main character (who has allied himself with the Holy Aionian Empire). This is because, three years ago, he joined a resistance group against the Empire in Multillion (I guess this is a town). His friend was killed by the Holy Imperial Army, and Zaveed also sustained life-threatening injuries. Ever since then, he’s vowed revenge against the Holy Empire.

Takahiro Sakurai says that Zaveed is a hot-tempered mage.

Zociom
Seiyuu: Ryūsei Nakao
“If I’m a devil, then what the hell are you, who burned thousands of humans alive in the town?!”

He is a short old mage who carries a staff. He’s the former leader of the Scarlet Axe and Aaron’s close associate. Several decades ago, his family was murdered by the Holy Imperial Army. Due to this, he lives for revenge. His role appears to be to supervise the Mage Institution within the Scarlet Axe… but…

Rochel (ロシェル)
Seiyuu: Aya Hisakawa
“Make haste! At this rate, we won’t be able to meet Lord Aaron!”

She is one of the leaders of the Scarlet Axe. She is a beautiful woman, who’s Aaron’s chief officer, supporting the him and the organization with her military and literary knowledge. She adores (…loves…?) Aaron from the bottom of her heart. Everyone who joined the Scarlet Axe joined because they lost someone dear to them, but her reason for joining the organization isn’t clear…

The Regional Forces
Many Regional Forces, such as Shuraat Town and Orosk Village, as well as the hero’s hometown of Terube Village, are living under self-governance in the Holy Aionian Empire’s region. Leaders—or those with a lot of influence—in the respective regional forces have arrived at a crossroads due to the Holy Empire forcing the idea of subordination upon them due to the appearance of the Centennial Monster. When the Stars of Destiny meet them, will they be able to bring balance to the forces of these regions?

Hagar Biarkie
Seiyuu: Hidenori Takahashi
“But we have no intention of following orders, so we’ll give no one any excuse to set foot on our land!”

He is the chief of Terube Village. He excels at managing the village’s organization, and also diplomacy. He’s earned a lot of trust from the villagers. No one’s ever seen him take up a weapon, but the way he carries himself exceeds the level of an ordinary man. Due to this, people fear that if we were to get serious, no one would be able to best him.

Borden
Seiyuu: Yousuke Akimoto
“If you’ve harmed anyone in this village, I’ll punish you with my fists!”

He is the village chief of Orosk, and he’s skilled in Kenpo. He’s very energetic, and takes the initiative because he dislikes leaving everything to other people. But this doesn’t mean that he acts before he thinks! He’s earned respect from the villagers [as a result of his initiative and planning].

Yousuke Akimoto says, “Anyway, he’s a hot-blooded guy! Very manly/macho.” (Actually, ムンムン is written here to describe his manliness/machismo, so I guess that makes him a ladies' man when combining it with ムンムン, lol.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've been debating making a new thread for new news and to make it easier to find character info/plot info, but I probably won't until there's a new trailer up. Or screens. Or something. What is this nonsense, Konami? (Probably waiting until Frontier Gate is released... I dunno.)

Anyway... some small details of the battle system courtesy of Siliconera:
Suikoden: The Woven Web of a Century begins with the heroes time-traveling to the past so they can learn how to fight from their ancestors. It’s a plot device and also a gameplay mechanic. Konami created a teacher-student relationship system where abilities are actually passed down to characters.

The young heroes from the future have learn battle commands when veteran heroes from the past use them in battle. Each time an an ability is used it raises a skill’s training rate and when it reaches 100% you can use the move in battle.

Suikoden: The Woven Web of a Century has six person battles with three characters in the front row and three in back.

Also new stuff that I've translated. It expands a tiny bit on the skill inheritance.

There are six-member battle parties, with three in the front and three in the back. Magic, rather than using MP or usage points (think like how it normally is in Suikoden, ex: 9/5/3/1), will consume energy/vigour when it's used.

[Character(s)] will be in a master-student relationship with the heroes from the past. During battle, when the Master character uses the "Hand Down" option, the skill's training rate will increase. When it reaches 100%, the student character will be able to inherit the past character's skill.

New Character Info:

The strategist, Regius (Seiyuu: Sho Hayami) (no... he doesn't seem to have a last name, and I bet it isn't "Silverberg")

The princess of the Aionian Empire from 200 years ago, Astrid (Seiyuu: Kikuko Inoue)

The mage, Lete (Rete? レーテ) (Seiyuu: Hisako Kanemoto)

The archer, Rodrick (Seiyuu: Keiji Fujiwara)

Another ancestor of the hero, Shildis (Seiyuu: Naoko Yasuda)

The founder of the Blue Flash style of combat along with Shildis, Maximos Zafir (Seiyuu: Shintaro Asanuma)

A one-horned demi-human, Radneen (ラドニーン) (Seiyuu: Kentaro Yamazaki)

Top Bottom