• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So did Resident Evil PSP become Resident Evil Revelations for 3DS?

I just gave you an example of a Capcom console series doing pretty well on PSP... If they tailored RE and DMC into something like Crisis Core, I don't see why they couldn't have been successful early on in the PSP's life.

Calling Monster Hunter a console series is kind of a stretch if you ask me.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wow so Revelations was the PSP game ? Capcom really screwed the PSP, MH 4 on 3DS and switching plattforms on RE.

CamHostage

If they tailored RE and DMC into something like Crisis Core, I don't see why they couldn't have been successful early on in the PSP's life.

RE PSP seemed like a last-minute buddy request from Sony or something, it was so late in the system's lifespan that few of us are surprised it never came to fruition (or, possibly, got swapped over to a more viable platform.)

DMC PSP, however, that was announced practically Day One, I don't figure the platform's rough regional sales had anything to do with its cancellation because it was AWOL almost immediately. DMC was potentially the game gamers were waiting for, so cancelling it for a soft market (especially when the game began listing mid-2004, the platform didn't ship in NA and Europe until March of 2005, and it was at least a full year before it became clear that DS was going to live up to its pedigree while PSP had no chance against Nintendo and Apple) doesn't make sense to me. It's impossible to say because the game came and went so fast (western-made 3DS games like Assassin's Creed and Saints Row Drive-By were stillborn quite early too, but I think different factors were involved there) and Capcom never made any mention of ANYTHING regarding the PSP version, but to me it's more likely it was pure vaporware than anything that got started but that was dropped in development.

...I've also completely gotten over ever seeing anything of the PSP DMC project, so I won't let anything bring any glimmer of hope back to that painful memory. It never was, I must accept that.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Omelette du formage! Omelett du formage! Omelette du formage! PSP owned! PSP owned! PSP owned!

No, but really, I wouldn't ever expect Revelations to be what Capcom was thinking to bring on PSP. As almost everyone, I always thought it became ORC. Surprised.

fRomage

He's the forum's biggest Resident Evil expert.

He owns everything.

Every. Thing.
With all due respect, owning everything (and we know that pretty much applies) and knowing something is on a completely different level. That said, I refuse to believe this until you divulge your source a bit further, cvxfreak. :p I just don't think anyone from the development team would have blurted this out casually without major sites reporting on it.

And Resident Evil Portable was always described as something completely different (Operation Raccoon City), was announced at a time the idea for another game came up (Operation Raccoon City), not to mention that the title screen hinted at something Outbreak 3-ish (Operation Raccoon City). And development on Revelations didn't start until early 2010, after RE5 Gold Edition was released (integral parts of the RE5 team are putting together Revelations).

Luigiv

Is there any actual proof that Revelations started off on PSP?

No. Not publicly, anyway. Capcom's official stance is that RE PSP never existed and Revelations only began development when Nintendo presented the team with 3DS dev kits.

Beyond being a series super fan, I have no Idea what industry connections cvxfreak actually has to possibly acquire such information. As such until someone can clarify, I'm taking his words with a few grains of salt.

That being said, if Capcom's claims on revelation's start are true, then the game would have only had a 20 month dev cycle, which seems kinda fishy to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the game did start pre-production on another platform.

CamHostage

No. Not publicly, anyway. Capcom's official stance is that RE PSP never existed and Revelations only began development when Nintendo presented the team with 3DS dev kits.

Don't go that far with Capcom's "official stance" (I'm not sure there is much by way of statement about the game, did they even outright say that it is dead or did they just casually delist it?) Some form of the game document existed, but whether a single line of code was written, we'll probably never know and are safe to doubt since we'll never see it anyway.

TEJ

That said, I refuse to believe this until you divulge your source a bit further, cvxfreak. :p I just don't think anyone from the development team would have blurted this out casually without major sites reporting on it.

if my theories are correct he is secretly on several RE development teams.

Sectus

I'm trying to find the thread about RE PSP on Capcom forums, but I just can't find it again. Maybe I remember wrongly about Capcom denying that Revelations and RE PSP were related.

I'm trying to find the thread about RE PSP on Capcom forums, but I just can't find it again. Maybe I remember wrongly about Capcom denying that Revelations and RE PSP were related.

I definitely remember at least one interview where a producer swore up and down that it was never intended for any platform other than 3DS. Can't find the link at the moment, though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
He's the forum's biggest Resident Evil expert.

He owns everything.

Every. Thing.

That can either paint him as an expert or as a wildly irrational fan. I like my own opinions more than many on the mainline titles at least. The series needs to go back to the roots and less into the action horror of 4 (lesser) and 5 (more). Skip co op too. If you're going to do it, do it right or keep it single player.

Takao

Banned
Calling Monster Hunter a console series is kind of a stretch if you ask me.

Joke post, or joke poster? Monster Hunter started out as a console series on the PS2, and every single PSP game is either a port, or uses ported content from one. Until 3DS the main series was on consoles, and the Portable series was well, on PSP.

RE PSP seemed like a last-minute buddy request from Sony or something, it was so late in the system's lifespan that few of us are surprised it never came to fruition (or, possibly, got swapped over to a more viable platform.)

DMC PSP, however, that was announced practically Day One, I don't figure the platform's rough regional sales had anything to do with its cancellation because it was AWOL almost immediately. DMC was potentially the game gamers were waiting for, so cancelling it for a soft market (especially when the game began listing mid-2004, the platform didn't ship in NA and Europe until March of 2005, and it was at least a full year before it became clear that DS was going to live up to its pedigree while PSP had no chance against Nintendo and Apple) doesn't make sense to me. It's impossible to say because the game came and went so fast (western-made 3DS games like Assassin's Creed and Saints Row Drive-By were stillborn quite early too, but I think different factors were involved there) and Capcom never made any mention of ANYTHING regarding the PSP version, but to me it's more likely it was pure vaporware than anything that got started but that was dropped in development.

...I've also completely gotten over ever seeing anything of the PSP DMC project, so I won't let anything bring any glimmer of hope back to that painful memory. It never was, I must accept that.

IIRC back in the day Capcom announced both RE, and DMC for PSP before the 2009 rebirth, and subsequent death.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Here's what Jun Takeuchi had to say about it:
Revelations is the first game to use MTFM, said Takeuchi. "[Revelations] is a completely new project that we started up after hearing about the 3DS. It's not a project that was progressing on separate hardware and was moved to the 3DS."
http://andriasang.com/comp7w/3ds_mt_framework_detailed/

The wording is very specific. I'm guessing this is what Sectus and Father Brain are talking about.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Why is it relevant if RER started as a PSP project?

Is it because if this is an original project, there is a ray of hope that the RE Portable game is in development for another handheld?
Or is it because if it is, we can say that 3DS's best looking game is a port of a last generation game?

The game looks incredible, better than any other 3DS game I've seen, I don't think the origin is important at all.

Joke post, or joke poster?

If you can't see why calling it a console series when it only does big numbers on portables is a stretch, the only joke is you.

The subject was established console franchises like MGS which were already blockbusters on consoles and the failed attempt to translate that console success to the portable space. Monster Hunter is the opposite example, a series that did modest numbers on consoles and blew up on portables.

I thought that this would have been obvious from the context of the conversation but perhaps I was expecting too much critical thought from the man who spends most of his time making creepy obsessive threads about how worried he is about the future of the PSP and Vita.

CamHostage

Is it because if this is an original project, there is a ray of hope that the RE Portable game is in development for another handheld?
Or is it because if it is, we can say that 3DS's best looking game is a port of a last generation game?

The game looks incredible, better than any other 3DS game I've seen, I don't think the origin is important at all.

It has NOTHING to do with a statement for or against the 3DS game as it is today, all power to it and all of that. There's just curiosity about what RE PSP was or what ever was done on it (especially since Capcom's Chris Kramer described the Resident Evil PSP project with these words: "Wow. Totally different for a Resident Evil game".) So if the PSP game ended up folding into either Revelations or Operation Raccoon City then that'd make a lot of sense and we could quell our curiosity. But without that definitive answer, we can't help but try to figure out what that "wow" was based on.

It's like the history of "Resident Evil 1.5" and "Resident Evil 3.5". All of that is interesting, but none of that investigation and chatter and craving to play those alphas takes away from the greatness of RE2 or RE4.

Deadbeat

Banned
(especially since Capcom's Chris Kramer described the Resident Evil PSP project with these words: "Wow. Totally different for a Resident Evil game".)So if the PSP game ended up folding into either Revelations or Operation Raccoon City then that'd make a lot of sense and we could quell our curiosity.
But how is Revelations in any way different for a Resident Evil game? Its going back to its survival horror roots. That isnt totally different for a resident evil game. its done that before.

Takao

Banned
If you can't see why calling it a console series when it only does big numbers on portables is a stretch, the only joke is you.

The subject was established console franchises like MGS which were already blockbusters on consoles and the failed attempt to translate that console success to the portable space. Monster Hunter is the opposite example, a series that did modest numbers on consoles and blew up on portables.

I thought that this would have been obvious from the context of the conversation but perhaps I was expecting too much critical thought from the man who spends most of his time making creepy obsessive threads about how worried he is about the future of the PSP and Vita.

Except Monster Hunter was a console series. The sales aren't really representative of that, but the actual games are. Almost all of the big shifts, and changes in the Monster Hunter franchise first occurred on the console games. The original intended market prior to the brand explosion was consoles. Is Street Fighter now a console series because the revenue generated by them in the west is higher than the revenue generated in the arcades? With the main MH series moving to handhelds it is now a handheld franchise, but back when Unite launched it wasn't.

But thanks for the cheap shots.

CamHostage

(especially since Capcom's Chris Kramer described the Resident Evil PSP project with these words: "Wow. Totally different for a Resident Evil game".) So if the PSP game ended up folding into either Revelations or Operation Raccoon City then that'd make a lot of sense and we could quell our curiosity.

But how is Revelations in any way different for a Resident Evil game? Its going back to its survival horror roots. That isnt totally different for a resident evil game. its done that before.

It's structure is different. It has some unusual "30-minute train ride" segmenting and hops to flashbacks differently than we've seen, stuff like that. And even though people say it's going back to its roots, the way they're approaching that according to the reviews is still its own thing.

But whatever, we don't know what makes Chris Kramer go "Wow." It could have been the storyline, it could have been the gameplay, it could have even been something (if cvxfreak is right that RE Revelations was born from the failed RE Portable) that didn't survive to the final design doc when they actually sat down to make the game, who knows.

MHF Unite on PSP shipped more than 400k in the west, you don't think an early DMC, and RE in PSP's life cycle would've done well?
How much did it sell though? Serious question, I don't keep track of the numbers. Iirc UGG totally bombed.

Also RE:p was announced at E3 2009 iirc. Hardly early on in the PSP's life.

Tailor-made DMC, RE PSP wouldn't have done well enough to justify the costs imo. I'm also not sure whether it'll be a success on 3DS. Mercs did OK I guess for a quick and dirty job but yeah, not a sure thing at all.

if my theories are correct he is secretly on several RE development teams.
Well all joking aside he could be on the QA team or have some other form of contact to the dev team. Iirc he is also operating a fansite so it's not out of the question. I also never witnessed him making shit up deliberately so I'll take his word for it for now (it's sth like a "fun fact" anyway).

I think people are simply curious about the development, inner workings and how of video games. I don't think there's any console war type stuff behind this.

Takao

Banned
How much did it sell though? Serious question, I don't keep track of the numbers. Iirc UGG totally bombed.

Also RE:p was announced at E3 2009 iirc. Hardly early on in the PSP's life.

Tailor-made DMC, RE PSP wouldn't have done well enough to justify the costs imo. I'm also not sure whether it'll be a success on 3DS. Mercs did OK I guess for a quick and dirty job but yeah, not a sure thing at all.

I haven't a clue on the sell through for Unite, but I do know their PSP remakes didn't do well. If they did we would've seen more Megaman remakes, but we didn't.

I swear Resident Evil appeared on one of those generic "We're x and we're bringing yyy to platform xyz!" lists, but I can't find it anywhere... Maybe it was just DMC.

I think people are simply curious about the development, inner workings and how of video games. I don't think there's any console war type stuff behind this.
Yeah, I don't get any console war type vibe here either - the obvious "will wait for Vita port" post aside.

I haven't a clue on the sell through for Unite, but I do know their PSP remakes didn't do well. If they did we would've seen more Megaman remakes, but we didn't.

I swear Resident Evil appeared on one of those generic "We're x and we're bringing yyy to platform xyz!" lists, but I can't find it anywhere... Maybe it was just DMC.
UGG was a remake? I thought it was an original game. I never played it obviously, guess I'm part of the problem.

I think it was just DMC. Iirc RE:p was announced in the wake of the PSPgo.

Except Monster Hunter was a console series. The sales aren't really representative of that, but the actual games are. Almost all of the big shifts, and changes in the Monster Hunter franchise first occurred on the console games. The original intended market prior to the brand explosion was consoles. Is Street Fighter now a console series because the revenue generated by them in the west is higher than the revenue generated in the arcades? With the main MH series moving to handhelds it is now a handheld franchise, but back when Unite launched it wasn't.

But thanks for the cheap shots.

Let me spell this out and remind you what the original topic of conversation was: We are discussing why Capcom might not have wanted to put DMC on portables, and why it might not have done well if they had. DMC, like MGS, was already a big international franchise on consoles with a large, established userbase which was used to the console experience and satisfied with it. Monster Hunter was a much more modest and entirely regional franchise which had lots of room to grow, and it did when it found that it suited the portable format better than the consoles.

In one case you are trying to simply replicate the existing console experience and success, and in the other you are finding new success which the console entries never had. Monster Hunter was the kind of game people wanted to play on the go. MGS was not, and there is no compelling argument for why DMC would have been.

But don't let that stand in the way of your fanboy bitterness towards Capcom. Your gimmick is seriously over the top, so think about throwing stones in a glass house next time you're tempted to trot out the "joke poster" attack.

CamHostage

Resident Evil Portable was very clearly and very publicly announced. It was part of the Sony Computer Entertainment E3 2009 presentation (the one where PSP Go debuted, and even though this wasn't ready to go at that time, I think this development partnership was entered into because the system was in need of a revival and RE was one of the games Sony was seeking to do it. A graphic was revealed (as vague as it was) and there has been that talk of a design doc floating around Capcom's offices.

Resident_Evil_Portable.png

Devil May Cry PSP has a less pronounced and documented history, but as I remember it, the game was listed as one of Capcom's three PSP titles on its Japanese website when PSP was very first announced in 2004. Nothing of it was ever shown, nothing was talked about how it'd play or even if it was a unique title or port, no talk of any footage or anything being shown behind the scenes. (Kotaku had one article about rumors that DMC3 running on PSP was being shown backstage at an E3, but that sounds fishy to me that they'd port it or not finish it once they started porting it, plus I think DMC3 was one of the titles being shown as a video demo for a video encoding technology at GDC so maybe they got confused?) It just sat there on Famitsu release calendars until Capcom finally wised them up that it was never coming.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/546/546914p1.html
http://www.1up.com/news/devil-cry-psp-officially-cancelled

Mr_Zombie

Where is RE 1.5 floating around? Why are you holding out on us?

There's a version of RE 1.5 floating around collectors. Few years ago a guy from Playstation Museum got his hands on a copy and did some YouTube videos. He now claims that he no longer has the copy (that it was only borrowed) and that due to HDD failure he has no more movies from the playthrough he did.

Takao

Banned
No, it was a sequel. I thought his point was just that it was a 2D game.

Well, I don't think those games struggled because they were 2D games. The Capcom bunch of MegaMan, MegaMan X, Power Stone, Street Fighter and Ghosts and Goblins weren't at their heights of popularity when they received the ports/remakes/sequels Capcom put on PSP. Things like Onimusha, RE (though RE's kind of an always popular brand now), and DMC were when PSP was young. I was arguing that Capcom didn't put their top franchises on the device, and judged support from games that may have struggled elsewhere (MegaMan games didn't do amazingly well on DS either).

Resident Evil Portable was very clearly and very publicly announced. It was part of the Sony Computer Entertainment E3 2009 presentation (the one where PSP Go debuted, and even though this wasn't ready to go at that time, I think this development partnership was entered into because the system was in need of a revival and RE was one of the games Sony was seeking to do it. A graphic was revealed (as vague as it was) and there has been that talk of a design doc floating around Capcom's offices.

Devil May Cry PSP has a less pronounced and documented history, but as I remember it, the game was listed as one of Capcom's three PSP titles on its Japanese website when PSP was very first announced in 2004. Nothing of it was ever shown, nothing was talked about how it'd play or even if it was a unique title or port, no talk of any footage or anything being shown behind the scenes. (Kotaku had one article about rumors that DMC3 running on PSP was being shown backstage at an E3, but that sounds fishy to me that they'd port it or not finish it once they started porting it, plus I think DMC3 was one of the titles being shown as a video demo for a video encoding technology at GDC so maybe they got confused?) It just sat there on Famitsu release calendars until Capcom finally wised them up that it was never coming.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/546/546914p1.html
http://www.1up.com/news/devil-cry-psp-officially-cancelled

Ah okay, it's just a misunderstanding on my part. I thought RE for PSP was announced prior to the E3 2009 announcement (like alongside DMC) and then just forgotten until the re-announcement. I now know that was not the case.

Let me spell this out and remind you what the original topic of conversation was: We are discussing why Capcom might not have wanted to put DMC on portables, and why it might not have done well if they had. DMC, like MGS, was already a big international franchise on consoles with a large, established userbase which was used to the console experience and satisfied with it. Monster Hunter was a much more modest and entirely regional franchise which had lots of room to grow, and it did when it found that it suited the portable format better than the consoles.

In one case you are trying to simply replicate the existing console experience and success, and in the other you are finding new success which the console entries never had. Monster Hunter was the kind of game people wanted to play on the go. MGS was not, and there is no compelling argument for why DMC would have been.

But don't let that stand in the way of your fanboy bitterness towards Capcom. Your gimmick is seriously over the top, so think about throwing stones in a glass house next time you're tempted to trot out the "joke poster" attack.

Well, at least you're not arguing that Monster Hunter wasn't a console series, though you still seem a bit on the rude side (admittedly I started it) ... You never mentioned that you believed cinematic console games (like Metal Gear) didn't work on PSP. This is what you said:

Ignis Fatuus said:
Console series entries on PSP generally did pretty poorly in the west.

Which made me think you meant games based on a console series in general. Not cinematic heavy ones, so I replied with this:

Takao said:
I just gave you an example of [Monster Hunter] doing pretty well on PSP... If they tailored RE and DMC into something like Crisis Core, I don't see why they couldn't have been successful early on in the PSP's life.

I mentioned Crisis Core because I feel that's one of the good early examples of transitioning a console series (Final Fantasy) into a game that very much works for handhelds. It still has cutscenes and the like, but its structure flows more like Peace Walker in that there's mostly short missions you can set out on. Crisis Core was really successful worldwide, partially because it was part of a huge well-established brand, and partially because it worked as a handheld game.

I felt if Capcom had taken that approach with RE and DMC they could've worked really well and had a shot at success. I'd even agree with you that if Capcom had taken the approach of "We're going to make a new DMC exactly as we would've made it on PS2, but put it on PSP" it probably wouldn't have done well, which is why I prefaced it with the Crisis Core comment. ;p

With Peace Walker in particular I think that's a complicated example. It was a success in Japan, but I think it came too late in the west. PSP as a platform was dead. If it was released instead of Portable Ops in 2007, I think it could've done very well, since that game breathes what a handheld game should be, where as Portable Ops was trying to emulate the traditional Metal Gear stylings without realizing that didn't work on PSP.

Overall, my opinion with that isn't because I'm bitter at Capcom. I understand that a business is going to do what it thinks is right, and for the most part, Capcom did get burned on PSP, but I think they maybe should've tried their largest IPs at the time before making their support just Monster Hunter, and Sengoku Basara.

yurinka

Regarding Monster Hunter, it's a console series because it started in consoles and the main numbered chapters have been released there, even if they were specially succesful in PSP.

But is just his opinion. Or did he provided a source to confirm it or at least something that suggested it? Because as I now we have 0 hints that may suggest that REP turned into RER.

As I remember Capcom just stated that was going to be a different Resident Evil. They also stated at least twice that RER was created from scratch for the 3DS.

Even if Sven denied the ORC stuff, considering ORC devs are basically experienced in PSP, and that the game has co-op elements, maybe they were trying to follow a certain Monster Hunter approach to PSP trying to succed in western markets as a shooter and RE and in Japan as a RE ad-hoc coop game. But after noticing it was dying in USA they switched it to HD consoles to get better sales in western markets.

I think it makes more sense to consider that it ended being ORC than Revelations, specially considering PSP doesn't have touchscreen, second analog or MT Framework support.

But if we consider Capcom never lied, then REP is a separated game not connected to RER or ORC.

Top Bottom