• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

kunonabi

I might run through:

FFIV,FFVI,FFX, and FFX-2

I don't really like the rest of series apart from crystal chronicles and tactics.

One wind shrine later (and one boss fight cut entirely too close) I've got my second-favorite class in the game.

FinalFantasyVAdvance_10-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_11.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_18.png

As usual, I spend too much time idling so the number on the play clock doesn't really match time actually spent playing.

Ultratech

Yeah, I was gonna ask - what are the definitive versions of FF IV, V, and VI? I assumed the GBA versions were the answer to all 3, but honestly I'm not sure.

IV: PSP if you want the "original" version. DS version is considerably different in a lot of things including boss/enemy strategies that have changed, which makes it much more difficult than any other version.
V: GBA; No contest here.
VI: GBA; Sound quality aside, it's pretty much superior.

Just bought FF PSP on ebay. Will finally play it for the first time aside from the 5 minutes I spent with the NES version and quit after the first battle.

Comet

I've beaten FF1-9. Then played some of 10, some of 12, and beat 13. I'm waiting to get 10 on the Vita before I beat it. So that leaves me with 12, I really wish they put this on Vita or a PS2 classic....

Jucksalbe

Banned
NKl0i.png

Ugh, that ice dungeon is way too long, I wanted to finish this tonight, but I guess this will have to wait until tomorrow. My goal for tomorrow: Finish the game!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Gah, PSPs outta juice! Break time! Zooming through the games pretty weird. I never did it before an it feels kinda wrong skipping so many goodies! Playing it on the small screen for the first time ever reminds me just how much I prefer playing it on the big screen.

Anyways I'm at the entrance to Shinra HQ at the 2 hour mark. Now which would be faster: climbing a million billion stairs or busting some heads? Hope I'm not underleveled cause the bosses coming up can be quite annoying even when playing normally.

So my progress in XIII is going solid.

Lake Bresha is by far one of the coolest looking areas as far as gaming is concerned. It's just a beautiful area and even the crystal fire looks cool. There's some more nice character beats between Light and Snow. Their story arc I think is one of the better parts of the game. It's nice to see the extremal optimistic character be full of hot air and yet be told that. Still it's quite obvious the Light is just jealous. She's so hard up on being responsible and only dealing with what seems factually possible. I of course like some of Szah's moments as well I always like the rational and clear headed character. Hope is pretty annoying here as he hasn't found any resolve and Vannille is just super cheerful. I don't dislike Vannile. I find her cute, not in a creepy "i want to protect moe kind of way", just cute in the way she looks and animates. Obviously, I know whats shes about, but its still nice to see her unsubtly switch between worrisome and cheerfulness.

Sadly most of the gameplay in Lake Bresha is pretty boring as enemies don't require much at all. But I guess that's to be expected.

The Vile Peaks is after and this isn't my favorite area visually wise. It looks very broing and the texture work he is not the best in the game. Still, if offers some solid explanation and backstory of the world of XIII. You get to know the relationship of Pulse and Coccon more and you understand how something by Pulse got from Pulse to Bodum. So the begining of the game and why the Purge happen makes more sense. People complained that a lot of XIII's areas feel superfluous and that people's actions in them could have taken place anywhere. Where Vile Peaks is one of the few areas that actually feels like it explains parts of the world and gives context to a good portion of whats going on.

As far as characters go. Light is still stand-offish, but you at least by now have seen why she got on the train to Purge town anyway. You get a good sense that right now she doesn't really care about anything and that's she's kind of desperate, not really thinking things through. She's just like Snow, but he is at least optimistic about things. Szah and Vannille start their partnership which is also a great part of XIII. They both are characters that don't really know what to do and are just moving along. Of course Vannille has a bit more going on. There is some funny comedy between them as well so that's nice. Hope is still kind of lame, but he's showing signs of being better.

As far as gameplay is concerned the Vile Peaks is pretty fun. More interesting enemies and since you are forced into using your party different ways, you feel the need to explore the other roles. Here I am constantly switching between set-ups and it's pretty fun. There's also a short minigame involving Hope and a Dreadnaught. They really should have turned this into a minigame somewhere in the game. I believe there should have been a city on Pulse to do stuff in and hey maybe this minigame reappears there.

Next up is the all Light and Hope area of Gapra Whitewood, which of course looks cool. But this area isn't all that great. Beyond the joke of follow the lights, it's mostly about Hope finding some resolve to kill Snow. It's not all that interesting. Plus the area goes on a little too long and most of the combat is Just switching between Com/Rav and Rav/Rav. I don't think I did much else.

Anyway next up is the visually awesome Sunleth Waterscape and that's where the stream is continuing

Yeah, I was gonna ask - what are the definitive versions of FF IV, V, and VI? I assumed the GBA versions were the answer to all 3, but honestly I'm not sure.

FFIV has no definitive version. The DS remake has completely redesigned gameplay, an expanded script, and its own special (if minor) special content; the PSP version has the original gameplay, both versions of the soundtrack, and the (somewhat extensive) extra content added to the GBA versions, which makes it the definitive version of "FF4 Original Flavor." Don't play the GBA version; it has tons (in the JP/US releases) of major bugs, of which the EU version only fixes a small subset.

FFVI on GBA is definitely the definitive version of the content; it adds some new material, and contains a translation that's respectful of Woolsey's great efforts but still takes advantage of the ability to use more space than the squeezed-in FF3US localization. Unfortunately, the soundtrack is completely butchered; there's a patch that claims to improve it significantly, but there's really only so much you can do with the GBA sound hardware.

FFV GBA is straight-up the definitive version; it looks awesome and has an amazing translation that makes it into the rollicking off-brand Shakespearean comedy it always should have been.

Seanspeed

Banned
As far as characters go. Light is still stand-offish, but you at least by now have seen why she got on the train to Purge town anyway. You get a good sense that right now she doesn't really care about anything and that's she's kind of desperate, not really thinking things through. She's just like Snow, but he is at least optimistic about things. Szah and Vannille start their partnership which is also a great part of XIII. They both are characters that don't really know what to do and are just moving along. Of course Vannille has a bit more going on. There is some funny comedy between them as well so that's nice. Hope is still kind of lame, but he's showing signs of being better.

Nope. Every character is terrible, generic tripe. Its worse than bad.

Apart from the linearity, its the worst part of the game for me. I'm starting Chapter 8 and I've relegated myself to enjoying the strategic aspects of the fighting system when facing harder enemies. I also enjoy the beautiful environments for the brief time I get to experience them, cuz I'm usually just busy running down a corridor. Everything else, including the story, the characters, the dialogue, the voice acting, the directing, EVERYTHING related to the storytelling in other words, is god fuckin awful.

Hope and Vanille need to die. Seriously. "Heeehehe." "mmm" "uooohoh" "huhuh" "oooh" That is the trascription of 5 seconds of Vanille dialogue. Its the worst thing ever. It drives me crazy. And Hope is a whiny, little bitch who I'd have left to die a long time ago.

Seriously, Square have proven that they have absolutely no clue about human nature. None at all. I realize older games dont exactly show this either, but they at least had other things to distract from the god-awful writing. This game is just pure story-driven and terrible.

Dreamer RD

Replayed FF7 + CCFF7 lately. I think every FF fan must play through FF7 compilation. Dirge of Cerberus is obviously not neccessary lol. Gonna watch AC Complete again now.

a26f7ce1fc76.jpg

4c5b213d5910.jpg

35770c5e433c.jpg

072e6320d019.png

Emitan

K89hQ.png

Sorry, I was at this party...

ygDpK.png

What have they done to you, Yoshi?

bkUgV.png

Better get used to this... Terrible steal rate in this game it seems like...

Uv1VO.png

Finally!

rpuFP.png

I pity the fool?

XDWti.png

Doesn't sound out of place for a Wario game actually...

CDqfb.png

So that's Bowser.

0Yzhf.png

Waluigi had better things to be doing than listening to the plan.

bpqph.png

Just as dumb as Bowser.

ou5xQ.png

Dude, she's like 14.

l39UG.png

And so it begins...

Nope. Every character is terrible, generic tripe. Its worse than bad.

Apart from the linearity, its the worst part of the game for me. I'm starting Chapter 8 and I've relegated myself to enjoying the strategic aspects of the fighting system when facing harder enemies. I also enjoy the beautiful environments for the brief time I get to experience them, cuz I'm usually just busy running down a corridor. Everything else, including the story, the characters, the dialogue, the voice acting, the directing, EVERYTHING related to the storytelling in other words, is god fuckin awful.

Hope and Vanille need to die. Seriously. "Heeehehe." "mmm" "uooohoh" "huhuh" "oooh" That is the trascription of 5 seconds of Vanille dialogue. Its the worst thing ever. It drives me crazy. And Hope is a whiny, little bitch who I'd have left to die a long time ago.

Seriously, Square have proven that they have absolutely no clue about human nature. None at all. I realize older games dont exactly show this either, but they at least had other things to distract from the god-awful writing. This game is just pure story-driven and terrible.

Well, I simply don't agree with you. I like the cast and the story a lot. And I don't even think the writing as anywhere worese then most video games outside of a few cringe worthy lines. There's nothing terrible here compared to what else I have played, the linearity does no bother me. The areas are no worse then FFX. Not every game needs to be Xenoblade.

I simply like the game and do not agree with you at all.

And I think you are factually wrong about the voice acting. It's very good. I can't help with what they are saying, but how they are saying it is pretty good.

Astra

I actually downloaded FFIX from PSN not that long ago, and started playing. I didn't play it very much at all since I got it. Reading through this thread got me wanting to play it. It's the only FF game I haven't actually played.

Emitan

cRXLb.png

Rd4zK.png

... the fuck?!

jwvVT.png

oRq1P.png

StIDK.png

This is no time for hanafuda, old man!

sxd0N.png

Giving gambling advice to a kid? Alexandria starts 'em young. This is how child slavery starts...

nJSyb.png

This DmC reboot is going to far.

Rt4ST.png

WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT SLAVERY?!

KLsah.png

Well, I do really wanna see the show...

mszMZ.png

NOW I'M THINKING ABOUT IT, JERK >:|

VjPOf.png

At least the other slaves know their place, I'm number one!

iJ4Ys.png

Climbing a ladder holding a ladder is so meta...

rDoO6.png

And bed time!

Vamphuntr

Played the game a bit. My timer is saying 1:52. I'm simply following the story without grinding or anything.

yk7Do.png
bmaza.png

Really easy fight. Fire + Autocrossbow then you have to use pummel to beat him.

v6qF1.png

>.>

cD62w.png

I liked how everytime you cast Fire on him he says OUCH! Seafood Soup! Ultros is a translation goof, right? In the GBA release he's Orthros.

And now I'm at the part where you have to do the three branches to proceed.

x350v.png

Game is way to easy so far. I didn't remember it as that easy. Tools and Blitz are so overpowered.

Will continue tomorrow.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sort of inappropriate for the thread I suppose, but I'm playing through XII and XIII right now for the first time, yay

Aeana

Done with FF2 for today.
I don't have much to show, and I know a lot of people actually haven't played FF2, so I don't want to spoil it.

I did have a pretty funny moment, though. Ever since Gordon joined, I had been complaining to my friends about how much he sucks and how much I want him to go away.

So then I got here:

JxCJt.jpg

This box contains an ice shield that's guarded by a hill gigas. I didn't manage to get a screenshot of him, but if you remember the gigas enemy in Zozo in FF6, he looks identical. At any rate, I knew he was coming and I thought I was prepared. I guess I was overconfident, because...

m3GvZ.jpg

Gordon saved the day. (._. )

5JZIB.jpg

So I'm off to Deist, home of the dragoons, tomorrow. Here's my current party.

MechaX

Game is way to easy so far. I didn't remember it as that easy. Tools and Blitz are so overpowered.

I was surprised by how easy it was too on my VI Advance playthrough a few years back. Sabin can solo the game if he wanted to, and it gets worse when Edgar starts getting better tools (I distinctly remember using the Chainsaw a lot) and party members start getting good Espers and magic.

Emitan

I was surprised by how easy it was too on my VI Advance playthrough a few years back. Sabin can solo the game if he wanted to, and it gets worse when Edgar starts getting better tools (I distinctly remember using the Chainsaw a lot) and party members start getting good Espers and magic.

Only bad thing about the Chainsaw is how it sucks for bosses. Most are immune to instant death spells (lol vanish doom), so the instant death for the chainsaw just misses and you wasted a turn. I prefer the drill for bosses because of that

Aeana

I expect a major running theme in this thread will be people realizing that FF games are much easier than they remember.

FFVI is very easy.

Edger's tools are pretty strong, plus you have that equipment that allows you to do multiple attacks. I mean my Sabin does 8 attacks in 1 turn, kind of making Kefka a joke.

I expect a major running theme in this thread will be people realizing that FF games are much easier than they remember.

I think the only way I do replays nowadays is by self imposing handicaps on myself. ie: throwing away Ultima Weapon in FF VI, or ignoring Cointoss in FF V....etc.

Kind of wish I was playing the version of FF 2 that you are. The spells level up soooo slowly in the Origins release. I am having fun though because it is one of the only FFs that I have only beaten once, and that was many years back on the Wonderswan.

Vamphuntr

I think I'll try using characters I rarely use. I'm still not using Gau though. Guess I'll try using Relm a lot. Usually I would use Terra, Celes, Sabin and Edgar.

Aeana

I think I'll try using characters I rarely use. I'm still not using Gau though. Guess I'll try using Relm a lot. Usually I would use Terra, Celes, Sabin and Edgar.

Dude. Use Gau.
He is the best character in the game! Get stray cat and watch him kill everything early on. Plus he can get fira pretty much immediately, way way way earlier than anybody else can get it in the game.

I loves Gau and his rages.

Aeana

I think the only way I do replays nowadays is by self imposing handicaps on myself. ie: throwing away Ultima Weapon in FF VI, or ignoring Cointoss in FF V....etc.

Kind of wish I was playing the version of FF 2 that you are. The spells level up soooo slowly in the Origins release. I am having fun though because it is one of the only FFs that I have only beaten once, and that was many years back on the Wonderswan.

And I wish I were playing Origins, since I prefer the level rate in that game. I'm currently trying to avoid using certain spells because they're leveling up so fast. Last time I played the PSP version, I ended up discarding my cure spells and starting over because it cost too much to heal after a while.

Vamphuntr

Dude. Use Gau.
He is the best character in the game! Get stray cat and watch him kill everything early on. Plus he can get fira pretty much immediately, way way way earlier than anybody else can get it in the game.

I loves Gau and his rages.

I really don't like how you lose control over him when you use rage. Trying to find the monster you want on the Veldt can be annoying too.

So far pretty much everyone except Locke and Banon is trashing everything. Doesn't Terra learn Fira naturally too?

Just saw you were saved by Gordon. haha.

On my recent replay I am using Gau for the first time seriously and loving it. It may seem limited using him at first because of him being raged, but pretty soon you will have way more options to attack than you will even know what to do with. He can also learn and use spells too. And using the Retainer enemy rage gives you Leo's shock attack. That alone makes it worth it imo.

Another thing I like to do in FF VI is make sure I don't teach my characters every spell. I will designate each character into whatever classic FF job matches them. ie: Lock using haste or blink a-la ninja.

Aeana

There's actually a way to manipulate the encounters on the Veldt to get exactly what you want. It's possible because the encounters there aren't entirely random, they go in a sequence of groups and then a formation is chosen randomly from within that group. Your first battle, you'll encounter an enemy group from group A, then an enemy group from group B, and so on. Using that information, you can cycle through groups by fighting on the Veldt, and then through formations by fighting /off/ of the Veldt. I can explain it better or link you to something that explains it if you want.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
My Final Fantasy VI party composed of Celes (main), Tina, Gogo, and Umaro. Dunno why I picked Umaro, probably because his physicals are strong if you are able to control it. Gogo for mimicking Ultima+Dualcast (so basically I can cast Ultima 5x, the 5th from Tina). I beat the final boss in one to two turns I believe. :p

cD62w.png

I liked how everytime you cast Fire on him he says OUCH! Seafood Soup! Ultros is a translation goof, right? In the GBA release he's Orthros.

<3

Vamphuntr

There's actually a way to manipulate the encounters on the Veldt to get exactly what you want. It's possible because the encounters there aren't entirely random, they go in a sequence of groups and then a formation is chosen randomly from within that group. Your first battle, you'll encounter an enemy group from group A, then an enemy group from group B, and so on. Using that information, you can cycle through groups by fighting on the Veldt, and then through formations by fighting /off/ of the Veldt. I can explain it better or link you to something that explains it if you want.

:O

I found something on gamefaqs about it here. http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/562865-final-fantasy-vi/faqs/13573 There's 64 groups altogether? This is useful, reloading the game adds 13 to the group number too.

Thanks for sharing that info!

Lindbergh

Final Fantasy for NES felt easier when I played it as a kid. I don't remember it taking so long to level up and how hard Mad Ponies pound the party near Provoka when I got it for VC recently.

Seda

The only final fantasy I own is FF7 on PSN. Is it really worth it? No lies and fanboyisn! :mad:

I honestly don't think it's a good one to start with. I started with FFX (and it hooked me), but I think FFIX would be the best in that regard.

Top Bottom