• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

I was hoping you would play the iOS version and maybe enjoy it more this time. :(

Besides, everybody named their characters like that!

We used swears.

i've never really looked for screens of FF3 before but damn! it is pretty good looking, pretty nice sprite work going on there.

Yeah, especially comparing the two next to each other, it's actually really impressive to me how much nicer FF3 looks compared to FF1.

Jucksalbe

Banned
la8wh.png

So much for the tower. I guess if you know what you're doing this can be pretty short, but running around and killing everything takes a very long time.

In this version of FF3, you gain capacity points (CP) after battle. This is a global pool of points that is consumed when your characters change jobs. In the DS version, you can change jobs whenever you want, but you get a stat penalty that will stick with you for several battles. In this one, you just spend the points to change whenever, with no penalties.

At least this sounds like the DS version did it better.

Aeana

At least this sounds like the DS version did it better.

Why? In the DS version, when you change jobs, you have to go fight around before the stat debuff wears off. Pain in the butt. CP is not in short supply in FF3, you should never really not have some when you need it to change. Admittedly, FF5's system is the best, where it doesn't have anything obstructing job changes whatsoever, but in my mind, the Famicom version of 3's is far superior to the DS version's. The thing is that you'll be changing jobs a lot in FF3, and being able to get back into the action immediately is important.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I haven't played the Famicom version of FF3, so I can't say how limited CP are. But it sounds to me that it hinders experimenting with different jobs because you always have to keep your CP in mind. In the DS version you don't have to think about something like that and you can just change whenever you want. At least I can't remember being all too worried about the debuffs.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I never had a problem with CP supply at all when I played the Famicom version of FFIII.

I used to think the addition of the Job Transition Phase in the DS version was a neat addition, and then when I went back to play it on a second playthrough (which essentially was a speedrun), I found it rather limiting because I had to fight around to get rid of the debuffs it had placed on my character. It's annoying, and it sucks spending time to go through battles just so that a few characters could overcome a stat handicap.

I tried playing FFXIII again. Odin is still unbeatable.

Fuck that game.

If odin is unbeatable, then Bahamut is impossible, took me 3 tries til i found the right team/paradigm combo

I honestly don't think it's a good one to start with. I started with FFX (and it hooked me), but I think FFIX would be the best in that regard.

I recommend IX to anyone. I LOVE IT. I'm 'kinda' going for 100% but prolly wont get that far. ie im not going for all cards although i do think its fun. Im gona try to get quina's frog skill to do 9999 dmg

33.jpg

Oh hey, it's my Red Wings, what's up guys, how's it...oh...

34.jpg

Still plays.

35.jpg

What? I've only been gone for like two hours! I thought we had something special, Red Wings.

38.jpg

Uhhh, as appealing as that sounds I actually got this thing with this dancer, so I don't really, uhh...

39.jpg

I'm in!

42.jpg

Sure buddy, and I have a bridge in Cornelia I'd love to sell you.

46.jpg

What a shocking turn of events. After figuring out why I was getting rocked by pincers, Rydia actually did something of worth and Chocokicked it to death. That's totally a word now. Chocokick.

Suairyu

Banned
Those PSP FF titles look like RPG Maker XP games. I mean, it doesn't look objectively bad at all, but I just can't disassociate that resolution of graphics = free amateur RPG in my head. For crying out loud, it even has the RPG Maker-style face-image-in-the-dialog-box thing going on.

Those PSP FF titles look like RPG Maker XP games.

They look a lot less bad in practice on an actual PSP (at least, FF4 does; FF1 still looks pretty bad IMO) but yeah, it's definitely an issue. The art style doesn't translate smoothly up to that level of resolution.

Jucksalbe

Banned
uJeki.png

The Dark King Part 2

7MoRt.png

Part 3

M99GY.png

And done!

XBoDV.png

I have to applaud the masterly writing of this game.

JeTWf.png

All thanks to Mr. Fujioka (and Mr. Woolsey).

5mh5g.png

Awww

EAI1A.png

My last save right before the final boss. I mostly fought every enemy, so you should be able to finish this game considerably slower, in fact the best speedrun on speeddemosarchive.com is 2h44m.

They look a lot less bad in practice on an actual PSP (at least, FF4 does; FF1 still looks pretty bad IMO) but yeah, it's definitely an issue. The art style doesn't translate smoothly up to that level of resolution.

Yea, it is a little jarring. My images are shrunk a bit to cut down on post length, but as someone who played the hell out of SNES RPGs, it's a little weird to suddenly be looking at what looks like a flash game.

Still, it grows on you after a while. I don't even really notice it now, and the effects are all really well done.

My last save right before the final boss. I mostly fought every enemy, so you should be able to finish this game considerably slower, in fact the best speedrun on speeddemosarchive.com is 2h44m.

Congrats! I was wondering how long it took to finish that game. I still have the cart lying around somewhere. One day...

Aeana

8lwutl.jpg

So we take the airship north from Sasoon and enter the cave. Inside, we find the princess, stupidly thinking about taking Djinn on by herself. Derpy derp.

RsHiql.jpg

Here's an encounter that could never happen on the DS version, since it's limited to 3 enemies. Feels good, man.

QiHNrl.jpg
EAnFpl.jpg
BgmI6l.jpg

Being a small dungeon, we get to Djinn fairly quickly, and the princess seals his power and we fight him. Super easy, no problem. He's weak to blizzard.

sAdFIl.jpg
MbK7ml.jpg

Once he's defeated, Sara seals Djinn away and warps us back to Sasoon to dispose of the ring. Her father gives us the canoe, which is a good thing, because the airship is on the other side of a lake after we were warped back to the castle!

xhOmDl.jpg
OfcRgl.jpg

Now that everyone is back to normal, Cid approaches us back in town and asks us to take him home. We head to the blacksmith's place and he installs a drill on the ship so we can break the big boulder blocking the path. This guy is Refia's father in the DS version, if I recall correctly.

So now our airship is totally spiffed-out with a neato drill. Let's go take it for a spi--

L24LEl.jpg

Well... I suppose it was nice while it lasted.

iI2I7l.jpg
64vTIl.jpg
M57Dxl.jpg
XtwDSl.jpg

When we get to Cid's town, he leaves our party and goes to check in on his wife. We follow, and we find that she needs an elixir to get better. It just so turns out that we can find an elixir right in town, so I guess Cid must be feeling like a pretty big idiot right about now. Giving the elixir to Cid's wife opens up a treasure room with some decent stuff in it, so hooray for that.

kf8tAl.jpg
Lacxxl.jpg
hhMpZl.jpg

Our next destination is the mountain nearby. As we approach it... a big ol' dragon comes soaring by. That's probably not a good thing.
While scaling the mountain, one may come across the aero spell, which turns the white mage from kinda useless to pretty rad in many situations (and especially the upcoming part). Once we get up the mountain, we get a little respite on the world map - there's most likely a reason for this. Probably so you can save. I bet.

Aez66l.jpg
tpBMZl.jpg
LqukAl.jpg

When we enter the summit, we find a nest with baby dragons and... a man. This is Desh, FF3's amnesiac. He might have lost his memory, but he at least had enough sense to tell us to run away from Bahamut. So we do.

ArUkil.jpg
opvm5l.jpg

Then we jump off the mountain and land below. A mini guy in the forest (not pictured) tells us that we'll need to use the mini spell to enter the mini village Tozas in the forest to the south, so I use mini on everybody and we go check it out.

11AAWl.jpg
7arOWl.jpg
H95i5l.jpg

In the mini state, physical attacks are worthless, so at this point it's wise to change everybody to mages. The game is helpful if you check everything and find this burning staff, which lets the white mage cast fire for free in battle when she uses it as an item. Of course, she's also got aero for the big guns.

From here, we enter a secret path in one of the houses that will lead us all the way to the viking base.

uORMpl.jpg

Yaay, freedom. Time to turn back to normal, right? Well, no. Not just yet.

vSDGol.jpg
l6wRel.jpg

Yay, vikings. Big, burly, manly men of the sea. Who are apparently afraid of a sea monster, and need lil' old mini-me to take care of it for them. Quite literally...

hfHp2l.jpg

Out on the world map, the Enterprise is waiting for you, but if you try to take it, you'll just run into the sea monster, and this is what happens!

X2P0Bl.jpg
mw2NKl.jpg
QOSkBl.jpg

So we head north a bit to the Nepto Shrine. Inside, a relief of Nepto is missing an eye, leaving a curiously mini-me-shaped space. Indeed, we can enter if we're small enough.

HZuXWl.jpg
lTfj2l.jpg
UDHkgl.jpg

Inside, at the end of the dungeon, is a rat who's guarding the other eye for the statue. We fight it, using the wonderful second level spells we got behind a hidden passage in the viking base, and he's not long for this world.

P9SEPl.jpg
vzchml.jpg

Eye in hand, we exit and return it to its rightful place. Nepto thanks us and promises to stop scaring the vikings, and gives us the water fang for our trouble.

LKtfml.jpg

And here's where my party stands right now. Now that Nepto is dead, we've got access to a ship and have a bit of freedom.

Chris R

I found my VGA converter box so I decided to play FFIX on my psone instead of fighting my pos psp with all the issues it has. Just out of the forest after my first session. I'd take pictures but I can't capture them ingame :(

FFVIII is next after IX.

alright! i finished up what i wanted to complete and now i'm gonna purchase origins on psn and either get to playing them tonight or tomorrow.

this thread has also made me consider holding out on getting 13-2 and using that money to get a refurbished ps2 and the three FF games of that era. oh decisions... T_T

Vamphuntr

Just did the Opera part.

I stole some Dragoon Boots from those annoying monsters that steal your money in Zozo to improve Locke since I'm stuck with him.

FMWGk.png

At least he can Jump out of the way now.

Opera management is serious business.

8IYvI.png

Guess I had the best characters for the silly replies for this event.

NusDP.png
jk9GS.png
GpGtG.png

That Octopus is still up to no good. He first tried to sink our raft and now he's trying to flatten Celes >.>

43CLm.png
OjUtA.png

4R8g2.png

Had 5 min to climb all the way up and the battles were all worth 3ABP each. It was pretty useful to me as I didn't grind ABP beforehand. Learned a bunch of spells on the way there.

tYinS.png

Once again easy boss battle. It didn't last long, about 2 turns. Fire 2 hits him for almost 1000 HP and Ramuh was doing 600HP damage. I also used Slow I learned on the way to the boss.

I'll stop there for tonight. I'll try the Magitek Factory tomorrow but I don't know if it will be easy without Cure2/Cura.

Bit of a long one, as I have more than a passing familiarity with the early game at this point:

After beating Siren, one reaches a city, where I pick up things that come in handy later.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_24.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_01-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_03-1.png

Going up the mountain, I learned flash. Forgot to take a screenshot, so here's the aftermath. (Blue mages aren't actually hindered by this as Goblin Punch can't miss, but it's still annoying.)
FinalFantasyVAdvance_06.png

The mildly creepy boss didn't even get to summon her husband. (The list of things in this game that are immune to Aero is rather small.)
FinalFantasyVAdvance_01-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_04-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_09-1.png

On to Walse:
FinalFantasyVAdvance_08-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_09-2.png

And Walse Tower:
FinalFantasyVAdvance_16-1.png

The boss of said tower, Garula, is notable for giving many FJF parties a hard time, as he hits very hard and counterattacks everything, sometimes twice. Blue mages make him a joke.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_17.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_18-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_19.png

Fun fact: Garula does have an action that isn't physically attacking. If turned into a frog, he will sometimes cast frog on himself to reverse the effect.

This thread is filling me with all sorts of happy feelings.

Might have to grab that FFIV anthology off of the PSN and give it a whirl on the Vita...

47.jpg

Choices...

48.jpg

Nah, that was Kain. Dude was a total douche anyway. Killed this girl's mother and everything.

49.jpg

I hate this town.

52.jpg

...when that asshole Kain burned everything to the ground and killed your mother. Remember that? When Kain did all that, totally on his own?

55.jpg

Sweet, I now have five party members for the first (only?) time in the whole franchise. If only most of them weren't terrible.

59.jpg

This went from bad to worse. Actually it was kind of a cake walk, as all of the bosses have been so far. I should switch to the DS version, I hear there's some difficulty there.

This went from bad to worse. Actually it was kind of a cake walk, as all of the bosses have been so far. I should switch to the DS version, I hear there's some difficulty there.

Mombomb would rip you to pieces in the DS version if you didn't know what to do. The DS version of FF IV is one of the most satisfying FF games I have ever played challenge-wise. FF IV is one of my favorite games and I found the PSP version to be pretty terrible to be honest. DS is the only one I can play now out of all the versions.

Vamphuntr

Mombomb would rip you to pieces in the DS version if you didn't know what to do. The DS version of FF IV is one of the most satisfying FF games I have ever played challenge-wise. FF IV is one of my favorite games and I found the PSP version to be pretty terrible to be honest. DS is the only one I can play now out of all the versions.

Yeah in the DS one her explosion attack will wipe you out unless you guard and time you input well. Even then, she will still kill some of your characters.

I agree that IV DS is the definitive version of FFIV.

Currently getting sucked into FF1 on iOS.

Played for a couple hours, I'm stopping at Elfheim for the night. Any advice or info I should know before I pick it back up tommorrow?

can't believe i did this but i ordered X/XII on ebay for around $25 and i don't even have a ps2 anymore. going to pick one up whenever i get up to 8 since i played 9 recently. don't know when that'll be but i'm going to guess sometime after xenoblade releases.

Without a randomizer to decide classes for me, I'm free to proceed through the game with all the sidequest-happy classes I want.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_23-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_26.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_04-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_03-2.png

The king is kind enough to tell me where to go next, but I had to stop for a detour first. (Not pictured: the mad dash for the Elven Cloak in the castle basement.)
FinalFantasyVAdvance_05-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_06-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_09-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_10-2.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Last time on Megaman Mystic Quest...

Some old man told us to show a girl named Kaeli crooked tree branches. We said okay.

vMBTp.png
ODPXf.png
bpkYi.png

epbAg.gif
Foresta

Uh. I'm noticing a theme in this village. Why is everyone old and dressed in blue? God, this is reminding me of that Blue Village in Earthbound... I hope I don't get into some messed up shit here.

PT3qW.png
B7cyA.png

I believe you guys. Really. I do. >.>

njArf.png

Why are these guys still young? INCONSISTENCY! But I'll let 'em off the hook since I can rest in their comfy, comfy bed.

Speaking of the elderly...

TVLQP.png

Aw, thanks! Explain why I can't jump over jars but I can jump over people.

ryTDr.png
npnhx.png

Oh, how convenient. Thanks for the Cure book, guy.

Onto Kaeli's House. Her mom's talking about how her husband forgot his lucky hat, but I don't care about that. I care about Treasure.

k0XdJ.png

And Kaeli.

ZU4v2.png

Hi.

yZPNO.png
cCpDm.png
lIoP6.png

Blah blah blah. Plot plot plot.

dZFh2.png

Hey, I have this crooked branch that old man from across the street wanted me to show ya.

4danZ.png
kokKA.png

But it doesn't sound like I had to convince you at all, and your mom didn't put up much of a... you know what? Never mind.

2CPXn.png

Yey. Stats time.

aIBiv.png
QKx0O.png
YkySf.png

So Kaeli's more useful than poor Megaman here. She has a better weapon (the Axe, which is one of the more fun weapons in the game to use), and better armour (strong against Water and Petrify; strong against Mute). She's also a few levels higher and as a result, has better stats. She's even stronger than Megaman when he hits Level 3.

I didn't show it, but she has access to the Life Spell. The other party members in this game can either be Manually or AI-controlled. As a result of being AI controlled, they generally have access to the Life spell to rescue Megaman when he's downed. They usually try to attack with spells and weapons that hit the enemies' weakpoints, and they automatically use appropriate items if they get a chance to in the round (if they don't have access to the appropriate spell, of course). Since I hate what the AI chooses, and I like to conserve spells anyway, I'm going with Manual input.

MsRgv.png
nOCUm.png

I5o5u.png

A battle!

epbAg.gif
Battle 1

So, battles in this game are generally on the easy side. You can get away with physically attacking most of the time (and it's sometimes best to if you're in a large dungeon). Here, since you don't have any offensive spells at all, you can just wail on the enemies, and make sure Kaeli hits a different target from Megaman (since she can wipe them out in one hit at the moment). Also, enemies don't hit much here, so you're not going to be wasting Cure Potions yet.

Anyway, didn't I say that Kaeli's still stronger than Megaman when he reaches Level 3? Cuz she is. (It's mostly because Megaman has crappy armour and weapons at this point.)

8kkvv.png

kCyUh.png

That thing looks like it's been sprayed with Agent Orange (warning: graphic content based on after-effects of Agent Orange on the Wiki page; not for sensitive people). Don't get too close to it.

UdNZ2.png
sQCWE.png
d1VnP.png

What did I say? Kaeli, you dunderhead. Anyway, this all leads into a boss fight.

The boss music in this game is awesome. Hit it, boys!

CAtXz.gif
Battle 2

LDmjS.png
AhFnt.png
oDZNL.png

He just looks like he keeps getting madder and madder every time he gets weaker.

JBaEB.png

How did you get here?

jZUzp.png

Those are expensive. Have you seen the prices that the Namingways charge for them on the Moon? We could never afford the--

A2LOm.png

Oh. Well, okay. If it's free.

f8czY.png

No. Don't give me that! The axe is a bad thing in my hands! Stop. No.

WBjzo.png

:((((((((((((

5YO2h.png
FZCWe.png

PNbny.png
UlrXo.png

bu3r4.png

DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU MADE ME DO?!

(So anyway, whenever I get to a place where I can cut stuff down, I kinda get a tendency to cut everything down... Forests in this game are bad for me. -_-)

Ogzjp.png

lol, I can jump over Kaeli in her bed.

Alright, last one for tonight.

60.jpg

I mean, makes sense, it's just a chocobo nest after all, I don't see anything out of the ordinary that would...

63.jpg

Oh God why?!? Kill it with fire!

It's alright, this is all just a bad dream. Any minute now I'm going to wake up in bed and everything's going to be fine.

64.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I need to hit the bar, this has all gotten to be a little much.

66.jpg

Finally, things are looking up. Lady, you're the best thing to happen to me all night.

67.jpg

I agree. What the...?

71.jpg

It's a man, baby! I think I've played too much today, things have gotten a little too weird.

65.jpg

You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

FF1: I got myself an airship! The best part about it is having to park 8 miles away from my desired destination because apparently its landing gear can only tolerate the softest of green grasses.

AqfUf.png

On my way to the Citadel of Trials I ran into some weretigers. They wouldn't uncross their legs or show me what they were hiding behind their backs, so I had to kill them.

j4fDP.png

Now that I'm here, let's spend 10 minutes warping around in circles because I have a memory like a sieve and can't remember which warp goes where. At least the music for this place is pretty.

wauiM.png

Fighter: Buh? Why would someone just open one chest and leave all the others?
*opens remaining chests, discovers Cottage and ~5000 gil*
Fighter: Oh.

DVOy5.png

Awesome, I knew coming here would be worth my ti--wait, what?

0dEsT.png

What?!

weeaboo

Quick question GAF, FFIV NDS (I like de lowpoly style) or PSP?

I've played many times the other versions and I want to see the new ones

started final fantasy 1 (origins version) and decided to go with warrior/black belt/white mage/black mage. not really far in but it took me a few moments to realize i had to buy my own spells haha.

Aeana

Quick question GAF, FFIV NDS (I like de lowpoly style) or PSP?

I've played many times the other versions and I want to see the new ones

FF4 is the same as the FF4 you've played tons of times before, just with different graphics. FF4 DS is a legitimately new experience, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Labadal

This thread is costing me money. Rebought FFV and FFVIII since I had sold my copies.

Will be playing FFVIII on PS3 and FFV on PSP. Will also try CFW on my PSP, anyone have a good link for PSP CFW (for dummies)?

Ultratech

Why? In the DS version, when you change jobs, you have to go fight around before the stat debuff wears off. Pain in the butt. CP is not in short supply in FF3, you should never really not have some when you need it to change. Admittedly, FF5's system is the best, where it doesn't have anything obstructing job changes whatsoever, but in my mind, the Famicom version of 3's is far superior to the DS version's. The thing is that you'll be changing jobs a lot in FF3, and being able to get back into the action immediately is important.

Yep. One of the reasons I hate the DS version. They got rid of the CP system and make switching jobs a pain (stat debuff? WHY?!).

But as far as CP supply goes, you're rarely hurting for it. The main killer in losing CP is if you switch from Physical -> Magical jobs (or vice-versa) since it eats up more CP than normal. I don't remember ever being short of CP in my playthroughs.

On to Karnak, and the next crystal. On the way, I met my favorite enemy in the game.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_03-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_05-3.png

To recap: Wild Nakks always appear in groups of five, they are the only encounter in their area, and fall to nearly any multi-target attack. As a result, you can gain 625 gil for every formation you see and beat in a single turn. They also teach the blue magic spell "???", but I forgot to screenshot that. This is a screenshot from the challenge this past summer, I think I went on to kill about 200 more.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_01-10.png

Anyway, Karnak. Land of fire and cheap weapons.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_09-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_10-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_12.png

Or not.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_19-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_20-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_21.png

Anyhow, something about a ship, and a crystal, and a non-boss. (Actually fighting this guy is kind of annoying, the hand form can one-shot physical classes with fira.)
FinalFantasyVAdvance_32.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_30.png

What comes after shall be left for the next update. It's simultaneously awesome and terrible for blue mages.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I halted my playthough of FFVI (seems well covered ITT) and started FFXII.

I judged this game way, way too harshly back when it was released, and for some reason I can't really recall why. I'm guessing it was because I really wanted the return of the traditional battle system. Maybe it was the controls that you can't change (inverted horizontal controls still bug the crap out of me).

I don't know.

In any event, looking at it with fresh eyes in 2012, I have a feeling I'm going to peg this as one of the best Final Fantasy games. I mean, it has one of the best cities right off the bat, ever. The hunting system allows for a perfect escape from railroading through the plot, and the story so far is a bit...older than I remember. Vaan is young, but not a child, and it appears that he's not really the focus of the game anyway.

Matchew

I was about to join in with VIII, but I hooked my ps2 up and it doesn't work anymore. I have a slim and the red light comes on goes green for a second and turns off, anyone had a similar problem before?

Gravijah

i'll probably be pretty slow going through ffvii because i haven't had a whole lot of time to put into it, and i'm juggling generations and minish cap with it. plus i'm a slooow gaaaamer.

I halted my playthough of FFVI (seems well covered ITT) and started FFXII.

I judged this game way, way too harshly back when it was released, and for some reason I can't really recall why. I'm guessing it was because I really wanted the return of the traditional battle system. Maybe it was the controls that you can't change (inverted horizontal controls still bug the crap out of me).

I don't know.

In any event, looking at it with fresh eyes in 2012, I have a feeling I'm going to peg this as one of the best Final Fantasy games. I mean, it has one of the best cities right off the bat, ever. The hunting system allows for a perfect escape from railroading through the plot, and the story so far is a bit...older than I remember. Vaan is young, but not a child, and it appears that he's not really the focus of the game anyway.

best way to play ffxii: use the bare minimum amount of gambits while constantly switching between and controlling all your characters.

too bad the story falls apart.

Aeana

best worst way to play ffxii: use the bare minimum amount of gambits while constantly switching between and controlling all your characters.

Fixed. Talk about creating needless tedium for yourself.

Aeana

When I last left off in FF3, I had beaten Nepto and gotten the Enterprise.

TLkPZl.jpg
7UCVdl.jpg
bi17Ml.jpg

The village of Tokkle is just to the southwest of the viking hideout, however when we enter, everyone seems a bit spooked. It turns out that soldiers from Argus are coming to town and abducting people, taking them into the desert to the south.

D0lpIl.jpg

As we ourselves venture into the desert, we see this weird floating structure.. wonder what that's all about?!

PJQvdl.jpg
euGM7l.jpg

Moving onward, we come across a weird-looking forest. Walking into the center of it reveals that it is, indeed, a chocobo forest. Hooray, chocobos. I pick one up and ride it three steps west to the village of the Ancients.

U48vRl.jpg
GFzrgl.jpg
BAJQil.jpg

ltv5Ml.jpg
DcDBVl.jpg

There's a lot of stuff to buy here, but it's kinda expensive. One of the things that's for sale here is the sight spell. The sight spell makes the world map come up, much like B+select in FF1 and 2. It can be useful, although I personally never use it anymore. There's one more thing about the sight spell, though...

In this version of the game, there's a bug with the spell that lets you duplicate magic. To do it, all you have to do is give the spells you want to duplicate to someone who can use the sight spell, and then unequip the spells while staying on the magic screen and then use the sight spell. The map will come up, and when you exit it, you can go back into the magic screen to find that the spells you unequipped are still there, yet the ones you unequipped are in your inventory. Hooray dupes!

I personally don't really use this exploit, since money is fairly easy to come by. There's also some stuff for sale that we can find for free soon. And even though stuff is kinda expensive at this town, we'll find that there's quite a bit of money to be had nearby...

YhiKYl.jpg
OaTNMl.jpg

To the north is Argus Castle, the place where the evil kidnapping soldiers are supposed to be from. It's deserted, though, for some reason. Loot time! In this castle is a hidden passage that leads to a mountain of gil. I didn't add it up, but I think it's at least 10,000 - plenty to buy everything we need. There's also a couple of locked doors here that we can't open without a thief or a magic key, so we'll come back for those later.

3If3cl.jpg
RGCYjl.jpg

West of the castle is the valley of the Gurugans, who are mentioned in the introductory text. They're a tribe of blind seers who seem to know an awful lot about things. The elder gives us the toad spell, which he says we'll need in the Tower of Owen. Well, all right, buddy. He also seems to know who Desh is!

2Sm68l.jpg
Kvw39l.jpg

North of the valley is another chocobo forest, hooray. Let's ride him all the way to the tower.

oq1Mil.jpg
8wViEl.jpg
FwQtgl.jpg
cRn7Jl.jpg

Inside the tower, there are a bunch of frogs, and the ground is flooded. Turns out the only way to get into this place is by being a toad. Weird? Oh well, thankfully Mr. Guruguy was looking out for us and we're prepared.

This dungeon would certainly suck if you had to remain a toad for the whole thing, but fortunately, you can change back after you get inside.

25Uoql.jpg
rKHqil.jpg
SDO8Tl.jpg

As we climb the tower, Desh seems to begin to remembering stuff. And we come across some flame mail that was super expensive at the village, but is now ours for free. Yippee.

NlPh1l.jpg
Vm63rl.jpg
Ssdvol.jpg
Ane5sl.jpg

At the top, we meet the person who's been talking to us while we've been climbing. It's Medusa, and she's kind of a jerk. She's very strong against magic, which makes our mages fairly useless. One could stop to change the mages into monks or something, but it really isn't necessary if your physical attackers are properly equipped - they'll do ~100 per hit and she only has about 900 health, so the battle will be over in no time regardless. The only scary thing she can do is cast stone, but it misses almost every time anyway.

After the battle is a sad scene. It's fairly terse, as was common with RPGs of this era, but it's kinda powerful in its own way. I had screenshots here, but I decided to take them for consideration of others who may not have played the game.

ohJCrl.jpg

Thanks to the events in the tower, the whirlpool blocking the way into the outer sea is gone, so now we can continue. (._. )

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
i'll probably be pretty slow going through ffvii because i haven't had a whole lot of time to put into it, and i'm juggling generations and minish cap with it. plus i'm a slooow gaaaamer.

best way to play ffxii: use the bare minimum amount of gambits while constantly switching between and controlling all your characters.

Well, we found Himuro's alt.

That sounds absolutely dreadful.

Gravijah

it's really not so bad and makes the battle system feel a lot more engaging. iirc, the gambits i actually used were stuff to make buffs easier and maybe healing when people were very low on life.

Emitan

it's really not so bad and makes the battle system feel a lot more engaging. iirc, the gambits i actually used were stuff to make buffs easier and maybe healing when people were very low on life.

I sort of play that way. I have basic gambits for no brainer stuff like maintaining buffs and curing status effects, but most of the time I am manually giving commands.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Think I'll pick up my save from FF6, just need to finish that damn opera and I'm on course to finally finish it for real this time

Top Bottom