• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm going the "no gambits" route. So far, it's exceedingly fun. Even a mundane encounter is very interactive. I can see myself at some point turning them on for grinding purposes, but I'm enjoying actually controlling my characters.

Imagine that.

I picked up FF6 in the PSN sale last night (first time playing.) Fantastic game so far, I'm only about three hours in but I feel like it's going to be one of my favourites. Love the characters, music and humour I've seen so far.

Not sure whether or not to pick up another FF game whilst the sale is on. I still have 7, 8 and 9 on disc, and I've played 4 to death. It'd have to be 1, 2 or 5...

.JayZii

Banned
I'm going the "no gambits" route. So far, it's exceedingly fun. Even a mundane encounter is very interactive. I can see myself at some point turning them on for grinding purposes, but I'm enjoying actually controlling my characters.

Imagine that.

I usually end up going for the middle ground approach after a few hours of no gambits. I turn on gambits for cures, steal and auto-attacks and micro manage from there.

Also just picked up my FFIX playthrough about halfway through the game again today. How nostalgic.

Aeana

origins version.

When you say inaccurate, are you talking about actually missing, or "ineffective"? In the Origins version, there's an option to turn on auto-targeting, without which you will miss if you try to attack an enemy that is no longer alive.

But if you're talking about regular missing, well, that is a bit odd, but the weapon you're using will determine your accuracy (and number of hits) when you attack.

When you say inaccurate, are you talking about actually missing, or "ineffective"? In the Origins version, there's an option to turn on auto-targeting, without which you will miss if you try to attack an enemy that is no longer alive.

But if you're talking about regular missing, well, that is a bit odd, but the weapon you're using will determine your accuracy (and number of hits) when you attack.

just regular old missing and not connecting at all.

but if that's the case it's probably just the weapons accuracy. it's really not that bad i was just kinda surprised i was missing so much.

I usually end up going for the middle ground approach after a few hours of no gambits. I turn on gambits for cures, steal and auto-attacks and micro manage from there.

I played something like this. A lot of the point of gambits in FFXII is to let you ensure that your party are acting and doing useful things while you switch around to micromanage whichever actions are most important in the battle. Setting stuff like steals and emergency cures lets you still do direct commands for people on things like attack spells/techniques while avoiding having to manually select every single thing that happens.

Ultratech

just regular old missing and not connecting at all.

but if that's the case it's probably just the weapons accuracy. it's really not that bad i was just kinda surprised i was missing so much.

This is towards the beginning, right? Pretty sure that's happening because of your weapons' accuracy and whatnot. Like the daggers/knifes you can get at the beginnig have decent ACC, but low ATK. Conversely, stuff like the Hammer and Staff have 0 ACC on them. It's sorta why you'll miss a lot early on, but gets better as you level up. (Noticed some of this while playing the GBA version last night.)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Mystic Quest certainly does. Doubt FFA counts as one as it is pretty much the original Seiken Densetsu game.

Did you know that the original Seiken Densetsu was subtitled "Final Fantasy Gaiden" in Japan?

1D79s.jpg

^ that's what it says right there above the main title, in smaller katakana/kanji.

It's more of an FF than us westerners were led to believe by the whole "FF Adventure isn't really an FF game in Japan!!" trivia.

The FF Legend games are more arguably not FF though... they're Saga games.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I meant the European Mystic Quest. I just finished the SNES Mystic Quest (Legend). I'm asking because Final Fantasy Adventure is called Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden in Japan, so you could argue it counts.

Vamphuntr

Well, did the Vector/Magitek Factory part of the story...

Here we are, the empire at last!

b0GnL.png

Dr. Cid is such a good person! He's draining the life force of espers so that this little brat can cast cure.

uEzC6.png
JYfc5.png

Enemies are resistant to physical attacks in here so you have to use magic. At first I didn't have much to cast but the Fire Dance blitz is considered magic so I spammed that. You eventually find some elemental swords in there to help you. Like the thunder blade and the Flame blade. There's also Gold Equipment in chests in this area.

vWU6o.png

I don't know what did I do to the RNG but I got this random encounter over 10 times in a row. I didn't complain as its worth 4ABP each time.

oDG1B.png

This boss fight was slightly annoying. AFAIK the only thing that damages them is magic and the only one that does any useful amount of damages is their weakness. Only Celes had Ice/Blizzard so it took a while. They seldomly cast ga/3 spells and these would one shot kill one of my character at my current levels.

j1hEi.png

Another boss in there while trying to look for the espers. He uses a wall change ability and he only takes the damage from one element. You're supposed to try each one until you find the right one (and before he switches his wall) but I didn't bother. Suplex did huge amount of damage so I spammed that.

CCUHo.png

You have to fight this thing while escaping the exploding factory. I had to use a bunch of phoenix downs here as the boss has some kind of instant death spell called blaster. It also casts stop a lot. Pretty easy as the whole trek through the factory gave me loads of ABP so I had a bunch of ra/2 spells.

jdnuC.png

Another boss before being able to leave this area. One of the Crane absorbs Fire and the other absorbs Thunder. I spammed Ice 2 with Locke to win. They have some earthquake move that they can use but it doesn't hit hard enough for you to cast float anyway. Setzer is pretty awful in that fight.

EHsky.png

Back to help terra! Now I have a bunch of espers too.

hYrD5.png
Ag72q.png

Esper world, here we go.

0xF5G.png

Aeana

Now that the whirlpool is gone, I can go to the dwarf hollow, but first, I'm going to take a little bit of a sidetrip.

MBA3Vl.jpg
wE25Ul.jpg
rHb9Hl.jpg
IpZw2l.jpg

In the village of Gysahl, one can purchase magic keys (if you couldn't tell by the decorations in the shop pictured above) and carrots for the fat chocobo, and you can talk to the FF3 development team, and you can even find a shuriken. In this game, shurikens are absurdly expensive and valuable. They do more damage than anything except the onion sword, but they also cost ~65000 gil apiece. That also means that you could sell the one you get here for half that, which is enticing, but I think I'll hold on to this one!

1xaY8l.jpg
aWGcfl.jpg
7zyMLl.jpg
Cms7nl.jpg

To the west of the Tower of Owen lies the dwarven hollow. Inside, the dwarves all speak as dwarves should, spouting lali-hos and such. Here, the dwarves have had one of their precious horns stolen by a bad dude, so we're gonna get it back. The entrance to the cave where he's holed up requires toad for entry, once again... for some reason.

T2Ayol.jpg
lfvwUl.jpg
bcz6yl.jpg

At the back of the cave lies our perpetrator. He's another boss who is pretty resistant to magic, so I rely on my physical attackers once again. I could change jobs, but why bother? Easy boss is easy.

1BqqIl.jpg
Ga3R4l.jpg
d3x5Al.jpg

After the battle, we retrieve the horn, but... there seems to be something following us. Just what is that, anyway? Weird.

QkCAfl.jpg
s4MMTl.jpg
lGmeTl.jpg

...Oh. Well, phooey. He steals BOTH horns and rushes off to the cave to the north. Time to go get them back.

kTw4jl.jpg
z1Pj5l.jpg
oQHqBl.jpg

Woo, fire cave. Something interesting about this place is that the lava does not damage you when you walk on it, unlike in the DS version, where it drains 10 HP every step or so. There is a lavafall further in that does damage you when you walk under it, but it's very brief.

2fm1rl.jpg
kDQQml.jpg
2JL52l.jpg
LDPpml.jpg

This boss is, by far, the hardest boss in the game so far. The reason is that he does an attack called 'blaze' that will do about 150 damage per character unless they have some resistance equipment on. You could change everybody to warriors and give them all ice armor, but why bother? My strategy is simply to burn it down as quickly as possible with the icebrand, blizzaga and casting cura every round to soak up the damage. Works out fine, and I won.

uEIXul.jpg

After this battle, we get the fire crystal jobs, which are knight, thief, hunter and scholar. I change my warrior to a knight, and my white mage to a hunter for now. I like hunter in this game, particularly with medusa arrows. Sadly, she won't be able to remain a hunter for long (more on that below).

KNr6Il.jpg
odYE5l.jpg
HWIecl.jpg

Upon returning to the dwarves' place, a dude from Tokkle comes in and begs for our help, dropping a hint about an upcoming boss in the process. Afterward, we go check out the kickin' rad treasure room, which has some good loot.

Aj1ETl.jpg
y43q4l.jpg

Yo dawgs, I heard there was a pro--

3nZZQl.jpg

...where are we? Hyne's castle. The king of Argus and those loyal to him have been locked up, and so have we.

5gX3wl.jpg
VpJb4l.jpg

To get out of the cell, we have to mini ourselves again and then make our way to Hyne. In one of the above screenshots, you can see why medusa arrows are so rad. They have a high chance of petrifying any enemy, so I love to use them here.

I also think this dungeon looks really cool in this version. It looks cool in the DS one too, admittedly, but in this one, it was just so surreal when I first got here. The green water is so spooky.

gIBvXl.jpg
5TWEll.jpg

MsMjsl.jpg
yOnsbl.jpg

For this battle, you pretty much have to have a scholar in order to stay sane. It is, of course, totally possible to win without one, but you really will have no idea what element to use if you don't use the scholar's peep ability. Once his weakness is revealed, you simply go all out on him, using your best spells and attack items, not bothering with physical attacks since they're useless.

J5CiPl.jpg
U8QrYl.jpg
qRNG0l.jpg
zab5tl.jpg

After the battle, the wall begins talking to us. It turns out that Hyne's "castle" is actually the elder tree from the living forest. (This is the weird structure that was hovering over the desert that I showed in an earlier post.)

iMVIel.jpg

And so here we are. I think a lot of people who give FF3 a serious shot tend to quit around here, most likely before. It's a shame, since aside from one or two kinda dumb battles (GARUUDAAA), it only gets better from here on out.

Did you know that the original Seiken Densetsu was subtitled "Final Fantasy Gaiden" in Japan?

1D79s.jpg

^ that's what it says right there above the main title, in smaller katakana/kanji.

It's more of an FF than us westerners were led to believe by the whole "FF Adventure isn't really an FF game in Japan!!" trivia.

The FF Legend games are more arguably not FF though... they're Saga games.

So it does. That's a pretty cool piece of info I did not know. Now I really kind of want to play the game now as I never played it outside the horrid GBA remake. I have a vague recollection of reading in a Nintendo Power that there were chocobo's and the original elemental fiends from FF I in the game.

Jucksalbe

Banned
EskoV.png

And so a new adventure begins. Sorry for the non-english version, but it's the only one I own.
Oh and this is when this wonderful music plays.

IdaW2.png

I remember this fight being harder.

b8yAF.png

I really doubt he was called "Willy" in the original Japanese version.

2S2Zv.png

This is the very moment you realize this is going to be a good game. Because it's when this music starts to play (that's if the title theme didn't convince already).

HIIW9.png

I don't....know what it all means.

KS2zp.png

This is serious stuff, a lot of people are dying in this game.

I've been wanting to play 6 for a while now, I have the GBA version so should really just get on with it.

Always wanted to play more FF games, only completed 3 and 12.

72.jpg

Actually I'm still kind of recovering from last night. If it's cool I'm just going to lie down over here for a minute.

73.jpg

What did you call me? Fine, whatever, let's do this.

77.jpg

This went about as well as I expected.

78.jpg

Kain! Thank god, these people around me are all idiots.

79.jpg

Hey, buddy, you're not still mad at that one time when I got you killed by that earthquake, are you? It was all a joke, I didn't think she'd buy it. I mean it was pretty obvious I was joking. You can take a joke, right?

82.jpg

I never liked you anyway.

86.jpg

You guys are all jerks. Stereotypical, cliche jerks. With cool helmets.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I bet German games on GB are pretty painful. Lots of abbreviations, I bet.
Yes, but I don't think it's considerably worse than in English games. They tried to find ways around it in Mystic Quest at least. That leads to some strange words, though. On the other hand, considering Nintendo's German translations at the time, it might just have been on purpose. In the worst case this is another one of Moyse's translations.

E452k.png

First real boss. There are some areas where he can't hit you, so this was a pretty easy fit. I guess I will be saying this a lot in this game, but I remember this being harder.

After the fire-powered ship, the next dungeon is the no-longer-on-fire Karnak Castle. There's a ten-minute time limit on this one and a ton to pick up, so let's get to it!
FinalFantasyVAdvance_01-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_02-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_04-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_06-3.png

Given the limits of the job system on this type of run, The ribbon was picked up mostly because letting it burn seems like a travesty. Most of the chests not pictured here contain either gil or an elixir. The real treasure is the blue magic here, and I left plenty of time for the boss because learning his can be a pain.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_03-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_10-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_18-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_21-1.png

The final reward: More shards, but my chosen job is not among them.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_22-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_27.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_28.png

On to the library, where I intentionally de-sync my levels next time!

BocoDragon

So it does. That's a pretty cool piece of info I did not know. Now I really kind of want to play the game now as I never played it outside the horrid GBA remake. I have a vague recollection of reading in a Nintendo Power that there were chocobo's and the original elemental fiends from FF I in the game.

And of course, Seiken Densetsu 2/Secret of Mana has a Moogle village in it.

vA6JJ.jpg

They also appear in SD3 as NPCs, and in both games, you can get "Moogled" as a status effect.

So I guess you could consider the Seiken Densetsu games as early FF spinoffs, in a sense.

Jucksalbe

Banned
l0pNW.png

Next boss. Fans of Secret of Mana might have seen this one before. A lot of Secret of Mana's enemies are already in this game, I didn't notice this as much when I played the game as a child.

nMzsM.png

That's it for today. I'm already up to level 11, it sure goes fast in this game.

And for something completely different: What do all of you think of a similar thread for the Megami Tensei series when it hits its 25th anniversary at the end of this year? Might give me the push I need to finally finish some the games.

Aeana

And for something completely different: What do all of you think of a similar thread for the Megami Tensei series when it hits its 25th anniversary at the end of this year? Might give me the push I need to finally finish some the games.

It'd be kinda boring since most of the early games aren't available in English. I could play some of them, but I wouldn't want to carry the thread myself.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay. Six hours pretty much nonstop of FFXII.

The "no using gambits" thing changed real quick. The game was clearly designed to use them...heh. I'm bringing Basch back to the city, and the world has really opened up.

The difficulty in this game is pitch perfect so far. You can die if you're not paying attention, you have to manage resources and the mix of respawning minor enemies and mid-bosses scattered around keeps you from going full autopilot.

So far, so good. Can't believe I put this down before.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well, did the Vector/Magitek Factory part of the story...

Here we are, the empire at last!

b0GnL.png

Dr. Cid is such a good person! He's draining the life force of espers so that this little brat can cast cure.

uEzC6.png
JYfc5.png

Enemies are resistant to physical attacks in here so you have to use magic. At first I didn't have much to cast but the Fire Dance blitz is considered magic so I spammed that. You eventually find some elemental swords in there to help you. Like the thunder blade and the Flame blade. There's also Gold Equipment in chests in this area.

vWU6o.png

I don't know what did I do to the RNG but I got this random encounter over 10 times in a row. I didn't complain as its worth 4ABP each time.

oDG1B.png

This boss fight was slightly annoying. AFAIK the only thing that damages them is magic and the only one that does any useful amount of damages is their weakness. Only Celes had Ice/Blizzard so it took a while. They seldomly cast ga/3 spells and these would one shot kill one of my character at my current levels.

j1hEi.png

Another boss in there while trying to look for the espers. He uses a wall change ability and he only takes the damage from one element. You're supposed to try each one until you find the right one (and before he switches his wall) but I didn't bother. Suplex did huge amount of damage so I spammed that.

CCUHo.png

You have to fight this thing while escaping the exploding factory. I had to use a bunch of phoenix downs here as the boss has some kind of instant death spell called blaster. It also casts stop a lot. Pretty easy as the whole trek through the factory gave me loads of ABP so I had a bunch of ra/2 spells.

jdnuC.png

Another boss before being able to leave this area. One of the Crane absorbs Fire and the other absorbs Thunder. I spammed Ice 2 with Locke to win. They have some earthquake move that they can use but it doesn't hit hard enough for you to cast float anyway. Setzer is pretty awful in that fight.

EHsky.png

Back to help terra! Now I have a bunch of espers too.

hYrD5.png
Ag72q.png

Esper world, here we go.

0xF5G.png

Sorry for quoting this whole thing, but my heart melts a little seeing these screens. That Secret of Mana shot had a similar effect.

I've got other stuff I'm trying to playthrough right now, but damn I want to play these again like right now. :( :)

Aeana

KEuSfl.jpg
MvGb0l.jpg
kT1sOl.jpg

After saving the king of Argus, we go visit him in his castle and he gives us the wheel of time. If we take this to Cid, he's able to convert our ship into an airship, and not the gimpy one from the beginning of the game either.

2o1M9l.jpg

Flying to the edge of the continent, it looks like the whole thing is floating. I wonder what's outside...?

w436Kl.jpg

... :O
This is the moment when I fell in love with Final Fantasy 3, way back in 1990. It absolutely blew my mind. Leaving the world as you know it and realizing that it's simply a tiny floating continent was quite a revelation to my then-self, and honestly it still kind of gives me goosebumps when I get here and the overworld music changes to this and suddenly you're met with an endless ocean.

From here, you just fly around and find nothing but ocean. You fly, and fly... and finally...

nBQfyl.jpg

A shipwreck. :eek:

QEC1Ol.jpg
Y3ZhQl.jpg
ku436l.jpg

Dj56Il.jpg
DT5V5l.jpg
50F5Fl.jpg

Inside the shipwreck, more amazing music is playing. We go downward, into the depths of the wreck, and come across an old man and a woman laying sick in bed. Apparently, the earthquake caused the rest of the world to submerge, and this is all that's left.

Giving the woman an antidote heals her, and she introduces herself as Elia, the maiden of the water shrine. She asks us to take her there immediately.

oeEQOl.jpg
I6zbZl.jpg
P8EuIl.jpg

Inside the water shrine, we pick up the fragment of the water crystal, and then head into the cave to the north. Inside, Elia unlocks the seal and we go into the depths.

WnKyGl.jpg
SlEbUl.jpg

bXFSnl.jpg
0Kcsnl.jpg

As we enter... tragedy strikes. But there's no time to worry about that, because we're immediately attacked by...

XygkCl.jpg
lvbLVl.jpg

Kraken. This dude again. He's kinda hard for my party setup. His spells did a little bit more than I remembered, and I ended up just barely scraping by. Fortunately, this little lull in effectiveness is about to end.

NQNPUl.jpg
xaBRFl.jpg
WBUp5l.jpg

After Kraken is defeated, another earthquake occurs. The submerged lands resurface once again, and we wake up in the village of Amur, 3 days later.

cHRebl.jpg
MZscCl.jpg
3PKXll.jpg

When we go to see the elder, we find out that there are some impostors impersonating our group. And they're kinda weird. But he lets us into the sewers anyway.

eVlkLl.jpg
x1w6Fl.jpg
c1M8zl.jpg

With the water crystal's power, we get access to several more jobs: geomancer, dragoon, blackbelt, mystic knight, conjurer, and bard. The only one of these jobs I'll use at the moment is blackbelt, which is a direct upgrade for Ingus's monk. Something amazing happens in this village, though - we encounter the first equipment that gives significant stat bonuses when equipped. Hidden in the north part of Amur is a set of equipment for the thief that boosts his agility and strength dramatically, turning it into the best job at this point in the game by far. To make him even better, the weapon shop here sells boomerangs, which allow the thief to do full damage from the back row. Even better, in the upcoming dungeon is a dagger for him that will let him drain HP from enemies. Just crazy stuff.

Rarutos

I'm thinking I'll play a few Final Fantasy games this year for the Anniversary! Definitely playing XIII-2, and maybe finally going back to beat the ones I haven't beaten yet.

Just hit 70 hours in FF XIII and made it to the final dungeon. Good lord, this place is full-on scenery porn. With a shitload of battles, too. Bosses all up and through this bitch. o_O

Those fucking Megrim Threshers in particular...ugh. Two mandatory fights, each one took 10 minutes. Uuuuuugh. Facepalmed when I realized that I hadn't used the Crystarium since I started doing missions weeks ago. >_>

Matchew

Go my ps2 working and started up VIII. The most I have played of this game is around the 10-15 hour mark a long time ago, so it's pretty fresh so far. 2 hours into it I really like the junction system and how you can really do a lot of different things with it. Like learning I Mag-RF ability and turning items like fish fin's into waters raising my HP stat. While I haven't got to play a lot of the card game, I can see this becoming addicting.

I'm a slow gamer with not a lot of time to play games, so I will be working on this game for the next few months.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Inside the shipwreck, more amazing music is playing.

So good. Probably my favorite track from III. That and the battle theme.

And thanks to you (and everyone else) for posting their playthroughs of the various games. Loving reading through the thread. Haven't started my series playthroughs yet as I'm still waiting for my copies of the PSP versions of I and II to arrive from amazon.

It'd be kinda boring since most of the early games aren't available in English. I could play some of them, but I wouldn't want to carry the thread myself.

Even if 90% of the thread is just playing Nocturne/P3/P4/DDS/DDS2, we should still do it.

Just made it to some small white room called "The Narthex". Jesus Christ, the lighting in this room is unreal. I loooove the view outside the windows. Gonna keep a save here so I can load it up and stare whenever I want. =3=

Suairyu

Banned
At the risk of exposing myself as a complete and total nerd, I shall post my most glorious moment in FF history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Pss-FmXO0

Might wanna turn your speakers down a bit :>
Good god I'm amazed that I even made it halfway through the Dark Aeons myself. It's just that the grinding to get to the minimum level suitable for each - which was, by itself, putting you in the "beat the final boss in one hit!" category - took ages, even with the Tonberry damage > sphere method. It's bullshit!

... and I've been forever haunted by the fact I didn't do it :(

Oh well, FFX HD comes out before the end of the decade, maybe.

Venfayth

Good god I'm amazed that I even made it halfway through the Dark Aeons myself. It's just that the grinding to get to the minimum level suitable for each - which was, by itself, putting you in the "beat the final boss in one hit!" category - took ages, even with the Tonberry damage > sphere method. It's bullshit!

... and I've been forever haunted by the fact I didn't do it :(

Oh well, FFX HD comes out before the end of the decade, maybe.

Yeah, I spent SOOO much time grinding spheres and levels just to get everything maxed. I hope the INTL bosses are included in the HD version, and that they're just as hard. I want to find a way to beat the Dark Magus Sisters (all 3 at once) since that's far and away harder than Penance.

At the risk of exposing myself as a complete and total nerd, I shall post my most glorious moment in FF history:

Ha!

I was replaying FFX in... 2005, I guess, when I decided to take a shot at earning all the ultimate weapons, something I'd never managed to do in the game before. I had spent at least two multiple-hour sessions trying (and failing) to beat the Chocobo Racing, and my asshole roommate would keep walking through going "oh man, y'know, you're never going to manage it, you should really just give up, there's no way you'll ever pull it off, you're just going to make yourself crazy trying and failing over and over, just give up blah blah blah," with me getting angrier and angrier until finally I was just sitting there hunched around the controller, a pure ball of spiteful rage muttering "I'll show you" to myself over and over.

Well, the pure rage must've worked, because about ten minutes after his last trip in I finally managed to pull it off -- at which point I threw the controller to the ground, ran into his room, shoved my hands in his face and started shouting "FUUUUUUCK YOU! IN YOUR FACE! SUCK IT" (etc. etc.), tossed all the shit on his desk onto the floor, and then did a victory lap around the house.

The Crystal Cave Theme from FF3 is one of my favorite tracks in any FF.

FF3 has always had a severely underrated soundtrack. Some of Uematsu's best work and definitely a towering achievement in 8-bit chiptune RPG music.

Vamphuntr

Our objective was to help Terra then travel to the Esper World's gate in hope that they would help us crush Kefka and the emperor.

The first thing you learn through Maduin's memory is that Espers are racists and that Madonna is *evil*. That's right folks, Madonna is evil according to FFVI!

OUgBr.png
r0K6g.png

So about Gestahl's sprite... I've never seen an old man on that sprite. I always see a dog with huge ears on the side of his head. Even his nose looks like one of a dog!

4AU7O.png

Terra eventually recovers after this reminiscence and you have to go to Narshe for the next story point. I took this opportunity to recruit Mog, the slam dancing moogle.

nW0PH.png
5d9vT.png

The next dungeon is the "Cave to the Sealed Gate" or the cave to the Esper World. There's some light puzzles in the area involving switches and moving bridges. There's some good treasures in there including the Genji Glove and the Atma/Ultima Weapon.

V3p0Y.png
InIKU.png
6pnm7.png

Enemies in this area are much more diffcult than the one in the previous area. Some of them can zombify you but I always destroyed them before they were able to. The game is mocking you a bit here by offering you the assassin dagger. Since the enemies are undead, it pretty much revive them with full health after the "fake" K.O. caused by the dagger. The Aura Bolt blitz is super powerful here. I guess its because its considered an "holy" move. It would deal 1200+ damage every time. Some are also weak to Ice so I used Slam Dancer with Gau for Free Blizzara/Ice 2 and equipped the Blizzard Blade on Locke while having him Jump.

Qp36F.png

This thing here is pretty weird. When you pull the switch here it summons a character looking like a thief/pirate babbling about treasures and he attacks you. In battle, he's actually a ninja >.>. I managed to steal a cherub down from him, not that its useful though.

4GeZs.png
XzoYL.png
jVIDI.png

We eventually reached the gate where *gasp* Kefka appeared out of nowhere.

zOBj6.png
P1FNw.png

The gate to the Esper World eventually open up and Espers are unleashed on the World causing some serious havoc.

nY4wu.png
sfUHv.png

The Airship is out of commission for now and we are now heading for Vector to see what the Espers are up to.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Hey hey! I'm not forgetting to update the thread today!

5 hours on the clock & I'm at Corel Prison ready to go beat up a gun-arm guy. I hate this area.

ipM76UMUibGbZ.jpg

Mindblown! Now let us never speak of this limit break again. Playable flashbacks? I've never heard of such a thing!

iburMfa97dukOv.jpg

I never did understand why Tifa slumps over in this scene. Is she dying of boredom?

ivdUJncDTCfeU.jpg

Take a look? Okay.... jesus christ! No more looking inside weird containers again!

iQYNKTjVmrZFb.jpg

The face a million fangirls fell in love with. btw didn't I just say no more looking in weird containers?! >_<

itqODT4QpAAZi.jpg

I haven't been showing off battle pics so let's check out this cool new summon! ...oh. Well picking "bad" dialogue choices is always good for a giggle.

iZMIK96GWqrui.jpg

Jenova V1 wasn't a pushover. Almost killed my whole party. Meanwhile Hojo's living it up with beach babes.

In honor of our first Jenova battle listen to her awesome "out of this world" battle theme of hers! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9kGaw216HM

i64mxJ7jWkwGH.jpg

What a weird monster. I never fought it not "over powered" before so I never got swarmed like this before!

ix7vhMN97XzWC.jpg

Birdie babies ^_^! But Cloud is right. Phoenix Downs cost money I don't got and as I'm underleveled they're even more needed! Sorry to kill your parent lil guys ;_;

i9OTlYqztwITZ.jpg

Now would be a good time for Barret & Cloud to bond based on their hometowns similar fates. But fuck that. Let's go to an amusement park instead!

FF XIII:
Barthandelus
is a lot less difficult the third time. Thanatosian Laughter is a bitch, but I can handle it so long as I'm in the Combat Clinic Paradigm.

BocoDragon

I have to say, this thread is delivering. Good job guys. If I wasn't busy with college I'd definitely join up.

Now that the wall isn't there, time to head to the library of the ancients. The first enemies who can cast Level 5 Death are here, so it's time to make sure that A) It doesn't cause an instant game over and B) I can actually learn it.

Intentional: killing Galuf off so his level lags behind. Not intentional: Running into this. It hits for about 50% more than my characters' HP in damage right now, but I lucked out and didn't die. Can't argue with the end result (and now I don't have to come back for that one).
FinalFantasyVAdvance_29.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_31.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_32-1.png

In the library, one can find a few books.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_33.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_35.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_37.png

Lots of books.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_40.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_46.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_51.png

The boss's difficulty in this particular challenge depends on if you can come up with enough sources of fire. Summoner makes this one pretty much an auto-win, as he won't counter Ifrit. (Special note: This is the first boss to use the boss death animation.)
FinalFantasyVAdvance_07-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_08-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_13.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_15-2.png

Having rescued an inventor's grandson, we now have access to the mighty Fire-Powered Ship, and have a name for the thing we should be afraid of.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_26-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_29-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_35-1.png

And so I sail to Crescent, where the ship officially becomes the shortest-lived vehicle in any game.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_37-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_39.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_42.png

Ah well. Plenty to do to stay busy.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_43.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_45.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_46-1.png

And finally, a way out of here (with a slightly disgusting bonus).
FinalFantasyVAdvance_49.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_51-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_52.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_53.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_54.png

Finally beat Final Fantasy XIII! Definitely one of my favorite endings and one of my overall favorite games in the series. Gonna shelve it for now, though. I'll finish the rest of the missions later this year, perhaps after my marathon of the series.

Top Bottom