• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Finally beat Final Fantasy XIII! Definitely one of my favorite endings and one of my overall favorite games in the series. Gonna shelve it for now, though. I'll finish the rest of the missions later this year, perhaps after my marathon of the series.

Really? Not to diminish your enjoyment.. but hmm... I don't agree.

Love me some VI, VIII and XII endings, though.

Consider CFWing your PSP. You can get temporary CFW these days that allows you to access PSN, and I think PSP firmware updates are totally done at this point so you're not likely to have any future trouble.

I got a very noob question to ask. If i wanna take a screenshot on my psp, how do i do that? What do I need (to do)? I've installed the CFW but my mind now is all o_o ???

I feel like someone mentioned how to take a screenshot but i cant find that post atm.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You don't agree with it being one of my favorites? :p

Yeah I think you should have a rethink on that ;)

But I just meant the ending. Talking for myself, thought it was weak. Deus Ex Machina. Nothing showing the real relationships with the characters.

XIII's ending makes me feel complete. It may be bad, but it still makes the story complete.

IX's ending sure dosent, but then again most of the 2nd half of that game isn't satisfactory.

RussellXV

Didn't realize it was the franchise's 25th anniversary. I recently resumed and completed FF3 on the DS. I'm trying to find FF4 on the DS, which I have ordered at Amazon, but it's not currently in stock. In the meantime, I played about an hour of FF6. Not really feeling it after playing FF3 in 3D.

Anteater

I was fine with XIII's ending. I thought it wrapped it up quite well, and it was probably my favorite part of the entire game. As far as ending goes, I was happy with VI, IX, X, XII, XIII.

Just got to Lindblum in FFIX, I've been stealing with Zidane a lot, seems that enemies carry a lot of useful items, and bosses carries at least 2 pieces of equipment for me to steal (missed one item from waltz #3 though since he was defeated before I get the 3rd item), gaining skill is a little slow but I just ran into this friendly monster dude that gave me 10AP when I was trying to skill up before moving on, so it's all good.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
Since I'm already about 8 or 9 hours into Final Fantasy IV from the Final Fantasy Complete Collection, I'll just continue from there, play the Intermission and After Years games for the very first time and then will start playing the series from I again.

Final Fantasy IV (Final Fantasy II for the SNES at the time) was the first Final Fantasy game that I've ever played, so it's a good start for me.

Labadal

I got CFW to work on my PSP thanks to stump, but how do I take screenies? Should I use this?

My journey in FFTA2 is fun, completed 140 quests so far. This far in and I'm still annoyed by the fact there is no rotateable camera. My only real problem with the game. Cid is overpowered, so I try to use him sparingly.

I was charmed enough by the redrawn graphics (and the PSN sale!) on the PSP to take a look at where it all began with FF1. There's no manual though - is there any way to bring up a world map? I've rescued the princess and fixed the bridge, but the game was a bit coy and I am not exactly sure what I have to do next. "Find some more crystals" is about the extent of my handle on it! ;-) Anyone give me a gentle nudge?

_Justinian_

Gold Member
I was charmed enough by the redrawn graphics (and the PSN sale!) on the PSP to take a look at where it all began with FF1. There's no manual though - is there any way to bring up a world map? I've rescued the princess and fixed the bridge, but the game was a bit coy and I am not exactly sure what I have to do next. "Find some more crystals" is about the extent of my handle on it! ;-) Anyone give me a gentle nudge?

Press "Select" plus the Circle button at the same time to open the world map. To answer your second question, cross the bridge and head north to Matoya's cave to get a few items and/or continue to head east to a town called Pravoka. You'll know what to do when you get there.

Press "Select" plus the Circle button at the same time to open the world map. To answer your second question, cross the bridge and head north to Matoya's cave to get a few items and/or continue to head east to a town called Pravoka. You'll know what to do when you get there.

Many thanks! Select + Circle... what the hell, haha? I did notice that square (I think) brings up a pretty cool bestiary, which gives you full details on all previously fought monsters. I'm a bit miffed there is no electronic manual, there is nearly always little things like that which are too easily missed.

And thanks for the story tips too.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It'd be kinda boring since most of the early games aren't available in English. I could play some of them, but I wouldn't want to carry the thread myself.

Some of the games have fan translations now at least. At least SMT1 and SMT2 do. Not sure about "if". Even Megami Tensei seems to have an almost finished translation (maybe it's done by September?). Not counting those, there are still 13(?) officially translated games.

If i wanna take a screenshot on my psp, how do i do that? What do I need (to do)? I've installed the CFW but my mind now is all o_o ???

Look here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34648750&postcount=12521

Started FFXII over the weekend. I thought the game looked a lot better than it did. Would it be best to play this on a CRT rather than my LCD?

Ourobolus

Banned
All right, buckled down and ordered a new PSP. Now I can finish where I left off with FFIX, and also knock out FFIVCC.

I'm tempted to follow Aeana's lead and play FFIII NES though. It's been ages since I've played that version (I did a four-job-fiesta last time, it was actually pretty fun).

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Got a few hours in to my low level FF1 run via FF Origins over a busy weekend. Screenshots coming later today when work stops demanding my full attention.

So far, I've killed Garland, the Pirates, a handful of Piscodemons and Astos. My entire party is at level 4. I also spent about 20 minutes abusing the sliding puzzle to make a metric ton of money.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Played FFIV over the weekend and should be finishing it off tonight. Debating going back to 1/2/3. I've beat 1 before, but haven't really put much time into 2 and 3 so that'd be fun.

I am on board for playing all the FF games, especially since pre VII I only played IV and VI on SNES. I also never finished VII,VIII,IX,X-2. I always get right to or near the last boss and level and do side quests and forget to finish the games off. Pretty nice that I can dust of my PSP (phat...so so phat) and play almost all of them up to FFX.

Hit the home button on your PSP and select Software Manuals. There are you game manuals for both FF and FF2

Got a few hours in to my low level FF1 run via FF Origins over a busy weekend. Screenshots coming later today when work stops demanding my full attention.

So far, I've killed Garland, the Pirates, a handful of Piscodemons and Astos. My entire party is at level 4. I also spent about 20 minutes abusing the sliding puzzle to make a metric ton of money.

What is this sliding puzzle you speak off!? I just blasted the canal open.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
What is this sliding puzzle you speak off!?
When you're on the ship, hold down the confirm button (A on the Nintendo systems, X on the Sony ones) and press the cancel button (B on the Nintendo systems, O on the Sony ones) 55 times.

You'll pop open a hidden sliding puzzle game. I don't remember how the reward structure goes exactly in the other versions, but in Origins, you get prizes for beating any of the top 3 records. If you beat the #1 record (under 2 minutes), you get 10,000 gold. If you manage to beat your own #1 record, you get 10,000 again. I beat my own record repeatedly and racked up 80k gold pretty quickly.

Normally, I don't bother, even in the Origins/NES versions which aren't nearly as piss easy as the remakes. However, I am running from every non-mandatory battle, so I need the equipment to survive and I had no other way of making money early on.

I just blasted the canal open.
Enjoy your trek to Melmond and the Terra Cavern. It's filled with Piscodemons you can't run away from. Since I want to keep to low levels, I'll probably have to do a lot of abusing the Memo save.

I am on easy mode since I want to play all of these older FF games and actually finish them this year. I think I am level 15 already so hopefully I can hang. My biggest hang up with FF games is I get into a grind fest and forget to move the story/quests forward and lose interest or move on to something else. Once I hit FFVI I will probably try to "get the full experience" and play them a little more comprehensively.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I am on easy mode since I want to play all of these older FF games and actually finish them this year. I think I am level 15 already so hopefully I can hang. My biggest hang up with FF games is I get into a grind fest and forget to move the story/quests forward and lose interest or move on to something else. Once I hit FFVI I will probably try to "get the full experience" and play them a little more comprehensively.

I just beat Astos and my party dinged Level 4. It's not too tough so far, but I'm a little wary of what the end game will be like. At this rate, I'm wondering if I'll even get to use the Level 4 spells I bought with all that cash.

Edit: And there's nothing wrong with preferring the easy mode or the even easier GBA/PSP versions. I just grew up on this game, and as such I already know the ins and outs. I'm not nearly as well versed as Aeana, but I wanted to do something other than just blow through the game in a few hours.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
XIII's ending was pretty in a sort of messy way.

But yeah, the ending song could have been better (MY HANDS).

Labadal

This is the tale of Broman, he had to become a bro and a man at a young age, and this is the only name he remembers.

WvFBU.png
Tm368.png

6oZyW.png
oJlWi.png

The story begins when there is something that seems wrong with the Wind Shrine. The King is going to investigate. Things seem to go not so well for the King.

9TPrS.png
lmrvf.png

5BFpk.png
kqkDR.png

Meanwhile, Broman is camping with his friend Boko. Suddenly a meteor drops, and Broman wouldn't be Broman if he didn't investigate. At the meteor crash site he sees the princess is in trouble. He defeats the Goblins and lets out a roaring victory cry.

v46hf.png
oapxf.png

tmLQh.png
R8qVJ.png

QnlZs.png
sRtuk.png

(Fast forward a little bit.) The princess Reina and Broman have met Galuf, he's lost his memory, but Broman is still stunned by this manly hunk. Never has he seen someone as awesome as Galuf. If only every man on the planet could be like him. They aimlessly walk through a cave when they find a pirate hideout. They need a way to get on the ship so they decide to sneak their way in. Things don't go so well, because they get caught. Broman and Galuf start nagging at eachother. Luckily they get an offer they can't refuse.

What adventures awaits our hero Broman? You'll find out in a not too distant future.

lol, so I beat Lich in Final Fantasy 1 and saw that statue in the other cave disappear so I went to investigate.

Didn't realize there was such a huge crazy dungeon lurking there...one that you can't get back out of. Eek! So I work my way down there and through the crazy phantom desert (in a cave?) and the ghost forest (in a cave?) only to come against 4 doors.
I chose the 1st on the left and faced a giant Cerberus....which killed me in two turns! lmao.
All that work getting down there and beaten so easily.
Happy it wasn't gameover and I just got kicked back out the dungeon, but damn....not going back in there for a while.
I'm level 23 BTW, I guess I'll just try and find out where I gotta go next.

Also had a panic when my thief was turned to stone and I couldn't find any softs in the entire world....only to find out that they're called Golden Needles in FF1. Doh!

Really enjoying myself, but not had as much time to play coz of work. Grr.

I just beat Astos and my party dinged Level 4. It's not too tough so far, but I'm a little wary of what the end game will be like. At this rate, I'm wondering if I'll even get to use the Level 4 spells I bought with all that cash.

Edit: And there's nothing wrong with preferring the easy mode or the even easier GBA/PSP versions. I just grew up on this game, and as such I already know the ins and outs. I'm not nearly as well versed as Aeana, but I wanted to do something other than just blow through the game in a few hours.

I am looking to play 1-9 on my PSP, any bad versions or hangups I should be aware of? I really like the Origins pack I got of PSN. The iPhone remakes lose the aesthetic of the classic games and fuck virtual d-pads/joysticks, they're the worst.

Ultratech

lol, so I beat Lich in Final Fantasy 1 and saw that statue in the other cave disappear so I went to investigate.

Didn't realize there was such a huge crazy dungeon lurking there...one that you can't get back out of. Eek! So I work my way down there and through the crazy phantom desert (in a cave?) and the ghost forest (in a cave?) only to come against 4 doors.
I chose the 1st on the left and faced a giant Cerberus....which killed me in two turns! lmao.
All that work getting down there and beaten so easily.
Happy it wasn't gameover and I just got kicked back out the dungeon, but damn....not going back in there for a while.
I'm level 23 BTW, I guess I'll just try and find out where I gotta go next.

Also had a panic when my thief was turned to stone and I couldn't find any softs in the entire world....only to find out that they're called Golden Needles in FF1. Doh!

Really enjoying myself, but not had as much time to play coz of work. Grr.

Yeah, every time you beat a Fiend, one of those little semi-random dungeons open up. The first two aren't that big, and you can probably beat them sometime before you beat the game.
The last two are really long and have some rough bosses (especially the 3rd one). You'll want to save those last two towards the end of the game.

catchan

Neo Member
Well, that thread is a good opportunity to finally play all Final Fantasy games. To the end.

I always get right to or near the last boss and level and do side quests and forget to finish the games off.

Count me in here; that's what happened when I played FFV, VIII, IX, XII and XIII. And a lot of other games too...

I'll try to finish all parts of FF until the end of the year, meaning that I'll replay all the finished ones and will finish the others from my last save point.

So now I started with FFI on PSP.

Since I wasn't very successful with the four white mage ironman I chose a rather boring party
pic_0000.jpg

...and saved the princess...
pic_0004.jpg

...and beat up some pirates (just got blind and had to use it)
pic_0007.jpg

I still have some screenshots from the FFV four-job-fiesta which I didn't post back then. I can catch up on that as soon as I get to V.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Loaded up my Lunar Underground save from my original FFIV cart and gave Zeromus a good spanking. Awww yeah. Can't believe the battery still works.

1WeHI.png

i feel incredibly stupid now. after reading some posts i just learned that there is a dash button in FF origins.... that certainly makes the game quite a bit better.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Alright, so as I mentioned a few times already in this thread, I decided to play FF1 via FF Origins on my PSP Go, and since I'm pretty familiar with the game, I'm going to try for a low level run.

The ideal rules I've made for myself are simple:

• Run from every possible battle so as to finish the game at the lowest level I can manage.

Before I started, I mulled it over a bit and figured that I'd have to leverage good equipment in lieu of good stats, so I would need a cheap party (no warriors), or I'd have to leverage an alternate money source. I remembered the secret sliding puzzle game, so I figured I could abuse that, and settled on two warriors and two red mages for my party.

Game Intro said:
A great darkness shrouded the world.

The wind died.

The sea raged.

The earth began to decay.

Only a prophecy kept hope alive in people's hearts:

"When darkness veils the world, four warriors of light shall come."

And after journeying far, four young warriors did at last appear.

In the hands of each rested a mysterious crystal...

Heeeeeeeeere we go.

ibu9ro4hTXY6Hw.jpg

The warriors Links & Rechts (colloquially referred to as the Balls brothers) and the red mages Gauche & Droit (colloquially referred to as the Butts brothers) arrive at Cornelia!

iLO4t9cAXCbcK.jpg
iyDL1ccvYrapa.jpg

Weary from travel they stagger into town, and in their stupor they fail to notice the excited murmurs from the rabble. A shriek from a town guard shocks them just in time to hear him proclaim them to be the warriors of legend! They are quickly shuffled directly in front of the King:

iPmG1aJUSViIb.jpg

'
"You mean these?"

iHVwYCEtinbBa.jpg

More excited rambling, and suddenly they are tasked with rescuing the King's daughter from some madman. Apparently, the king claims the only bridge out is in shambles. Of course, this is odd since it's the only way in and out without a boat, and our heroes had just arrived. The king, of course, offered to fix the bridge if the warriors could save his darling princess.

This all seemed very convenient, but our heroes had little choice in the matter.

Of course, "heroes" was what they were being called. It wasn't necessarily a very apt descriptor for the bunch...

Next time on Butts and Balls

This makes me realise I've not beaten a FF game after VI (okay I never did beat III but I got to the final boss at least). Then again the only FF I played after VI was VIII which I got to disc 3 of before the slowness of it all just got the better of me and was worried the other 3D FFs would fare worse so decided to never find out. Being in a PAL region (so rubbish 50Hz conversions) compound the problem I guess.

Honorable mention to the re-arrangement from Chocobo Racing. The soundtrack to that game is seriously a FF "Best of".
I think most the FF spinoffs ended up like that. Well I don't think Chcocobo's Dungeon 1+2 were but FF Fables on DS (I don't this one had any music after VI as I seem to recognise virtually all the tunes) and Chocobo's Dungeon Wii (& the Japan-only DS port) certainly are.

I feel stupid for having a Thief in my FF1 party. Are there any redeeming qualities? He is lower HP than my Red Mage, does less damage than my Warrior and has no special perks like magic or anything. WTF is the point of them?

Edit: Just read he helps you flee. I am definitely utilizing flee, so maybe that is worth it.

Aeana

I feel stupid for having a Thief in my FF1 party. Are there any redeeming qualities? He is lower HP than my Red Mage, does less damage than my Warrior and has no special perks like magic or anything. WTF is the point of them?

Edit: Just read he helps you flee. I am definitely utilizing flee, so maybe that is worth it.

Well, ninjas can use haste and temper, which are absolutely fantastic buff spells that raise speed and attack respectively. Provided you're not playing on NES, anyway, since temper does nothing in that version.

Its been about 2-3 years since I played FF1 but from my experience (of what i remembered) my Thief was pretty useful. A benefit i got from him was that he was very accurate and his hit dmg was the best, if not then about the same as the warrior.

These good words for FF XIII's ending make me glad I've decided to go back and finish it up.

Currently in Chapter 10, where I left off about 8 months ago. Gonna wrap this up before digging into my copy of XIII-2

OK, I will give Drake a chance to prove his worth. Meanwhile my Warriors Cutter and Sully are splitting skulls. Elena is proving to be a useful Red Mage.

They turn into Ninjas, who are pretty cool. Haste can destroy the game. Though by the end, every class is pretty broken in one way or another.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o

He's a cheap Warrior to start off. Fewer equipment options (especially armor), no magic, but high evade and luck, so enemies will miss often and yes, your flee goes up. Overall, not the best choice for a class at the beginning.

However, the upgrade to Ninja from Thief is arguably the biggest jump for a class in the game. He gets to use 99% of all the best weapons and armor (Knights get a few exclusive pieces to keep them better on this front), which makes him an extremely capable fighter/tank on top of having very high evade and luck. And then on top of that, Ninjas can use up to level 4 Black Magic.

I <3 Ninjas. Well worth the trouble to have the Thief early on.

He's a cheap Warrior to start off. Fewer equipment options (especially armor), no magic, but high evade and luck, so enemies will miss often and yes, your flee goes up. Overall, not the best choice for a class at the beginning.

However, the upgrade to Ninja from Thief is arguably the biggest jump for a class in the game. He gets to use 99% of all the best weapons and armor (Knights get a few exclusive pieces to keep them better on this front), which makes him an extremely capable fighter/tank on top of having very high evade and luck. And then on top of that, Ninjas can use up to level 4 Black Magic.

I <3 Ninjas. Well worth the trouble to have the Thief early on.

Cheers, that makes me feel much better.

fatty

I was wondering that as well. I started playing the GBA Dawn of Souls version of FFI a while back and I ending up picking the Fighter, Red Mage, White Mage and Black Mage combo...the same one I used back when playing it on the NES. Didn't make it very far, just to Garland SP?, and I am looking to start over again because of this thread and go a much different route. Will definitely use the thief as one of the members of the party.

So GBA FF1 is much easier than FF1 Origins on PSOne? Most people seem to recommend the Origins version so maybe I'll rip that to the PSP and play that one. Is the FFI from Origins the same one as the PSP version of FF1?

Aeana

I was wondering that as well. I started playing the GBA Dawn of Souls version of FFI a while back and I ending up picking the Fighter, Red Mage, White Mage and Black Mage combo...the same one I used back when playing it on the NES. Didn't make it very far, just to Garland SP?, and I am looking to start over again because of this thread and go a much different route. Will definitely use the thief as one of the members of the party.

So GBA FF1 is much easier than FF1 Origins on PSOne? Most people seem to recommend the Origins version so maybe I'll rip that to the PSP and play that one. Is the FFI from Origins the same one as the PSP version of FF1?

FF1 on GBA and PSP are the same in terms of balance and stuff. Origin and the Wonderswan Color version lie between the original and the GBA/PSP versions in terms of balance. It's quite a sweet spot, in my opinion.

fatty

FF1 on GBA and PSP are the same in terms of balance and stuff. Origin and the Wonderswan Color version lie between the original and the GBA/PSP versions in terms of balance. It's quite a sweet spot, in my opinion.

So Origin it is then, thanks. Yeah, when I was playing Dawn of Souls I thought it seemed easier than I remembered it on the NES. But I figured it had been so long since I played it (I was about 11 years old) that my l33t gaming skillz had obviously been refined since then. :p

Top Bottom