• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Progress report!

As the clock ticked up to the end of the 6th hour I was in battle chucking an X-Potion at Gi Nattak for an instant kill. I messed up some more along the way to. Such as accidentally entering the endless Corel Desert and losing the first Chocobo race. Totally skipped Gongaga Town as I did Fort Condor. And finally I took the time to clear out some of my inventory by selling stuff. Still didn't have enough money for a MP Plus material ;_;

Chris R

Man I forgot just how tight disc 1 of FFIX is. Hoping to have it beat tonight, just have the Grotto and Burmecia left (and what an ending that disc has!)

Labadal

W9BPl.png

Broman & Co enters the wind shrine.

ysopY.png

They reach the top floor only to be greeted by a vicious enemy.

K5fGD.png

In the end they manage to vanquish their foe. They gain the power of the Wind chrystal!

Cnkz1.png

Drinking after fighting tough monsters is highly recommended.

fDxBb.png

Broman visits the beginner's house, he's no beginner, but he knows about the treasure inside.

6povN.png

He then goes to the pub and demands that the dancers give him special treatment.

nvmNy.png

Broman, Reina and Galuf decide to check up on Faris who went upstairs. They find something out, but we'll talk about that later. The party visits Zok and asks him for the key to open the closed doors to the canal. No luck.

eSGBd.png

It turns out that Broman is so awesome that he was given the key while the others were asleep.

lxVPE.png

On their way through the canal, they face yet another evil monster. In the end Hydra has to sacrifice himself to save the party.

KQaAV.png

With no wind and no Hydra the boat drifts to the zombie boatyard.

Stay tuned to learn what happens to Broman and friends.

Labadal

My love for the job system overcomes almost everything. I've been sick the last four days, so it was about time I started playing this. It's better to play FFV with long loadtimes than do nothing in bed. I'm browsing the net on the phone and playing the game at the same time, lol.
I still think CT and FFVI ports are worse than the FFV port. (I stopped FFVI PSX version, because I feel it is almost unplayable compared to the SNES version. And FFVI is my favorite game of all time.)

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Previously on Butts and Balls

You see, our intrepid adventurers may have been carting around the fabled four crystals, but if everyone had known how they had stumbled upon them, they may have been reluctant to deem them "heroes".

In fact, one might be reluctant to even call them "warriors".

i0BRVgPiRAXlr.jpg

Alas, resigned to their fate, our adventurers decide to gear up for the upcoming trial.

ib1gW0Z1JwAokL.jpg

Short on cash, and unable to resolve petty arguments about whether "shinier = better" they settle on rapiers and chain mail for all.

iKBej09gY7cdy.jpg
ibySDaqIa3dZVh.jpg

Surprisingly, this does not change their usual tactics as they travel north to the Temple of Chaos.

i7VgPRyHAX29S.jpg

Already a little weary from all that fleeing, (not to mention a few stabs in the back, as pictured above) our adventurers are pleased to see that it is a rather small temple. They are able to quickly find their way to the main room where Garland is holding Sara.

ibo9tzKs43xfpk.jpg
iLJQtMXrzdVLO.jpg

Forced to actually fight this time, they are shocked at how quickly he falls. Rechts gives out a poopy squeal of joy as Garland gurgles his last accursed breath.

ibkTLMWKRZLDpJ.jpg

Sara is saved! The team is feeling euphoric. Or maybe it's just light-headedness from all the adrenaline, who knows?

iRLCbEsryhtcV.jpg

As promised, Garland has his men repair the bridge. What was amazing, was how they seemed to be lollygagging about their duties until the moment they saw Sara return to the castle. Then, it just took them like five seconds to finish up.

iduz4ts8aa9rD.jpg
iWIhUyIbqXZpr.jpg

While the quartet was hopeful they would be showered with gifts and money (and women) when they arrived, they receive nothing more than the thanks of the king and an old busted lute from the princess. Thankfully, they were able to loot Garland's body, so they decide that if they were going to travel around it might be a good idea to have the mages learn how to heal them.

ibknFs1mHI6psR.jpg
ibsclwgx6Y5vRd.jpg

Having just enough money left over to get some shuteye at the inn, they finally get the rest they came to Cornelia for.

iUO1DInyo8f8P.jpg

In the early morning, they set out and cross the newly built bridge.

izP75WIjRsukP.jpg

And so, their journey begins.

Next time on Butts and Balls

And as one journey begins, another comes to a close...

GpaTc.png

Knight: Aw yeah! I'm the wiz! Nobody beats me!
Ninja: .oO(How did I get Krazy Glue into my sword sheath AGAIN?)
White and Black Wizard: *continue practicing for the karaoke party they're attending later on*

Chaos was the only fight in this entire game* I had trouble with; on my first try I just wasn't doing damage fast enough. Things got a lot easier when I realized I could just spam Temper and buff my Knight up to Herculean proportions, letting him hit for thousands of damage per swing while the White Mage kept everyone healed.

*the main game, anyway; my brief experience with the extra dungeons annoyed the crap out of me (hello, dungeon version of the freakin' world map!) so I just left them alone.

So that's FF1 done, yay! I'm game to try FF2 next, but not right away... maybe in a few weeks or so.

Scythian

Late update :p

So I started a game, things happened and now I'm fighting Lich...
ikS5cA9KCBeCr.bmp

Now I'm spending time here for some reason...
iBSKvHWSbvfy1.bmp

After that I got my canoe and entered Mt. Gulg...
ibqL9M9wSeCuj.bmp

and battled Marilith.
iOvx8jdCGpC8l.bmp

Now fast-forward to the Sunken Shrine and battling Kraken with my upgraded party :D
iS8TKk0nZPEMG.bmp

Then I traveled around, fought my way around the Tower of Mirage and got warped to the Flying Fortress.
ibn4DTea217DxP.bmp

Sorry for the sporadic screenshots, I constantly forget to take them :p

Jucksalbe

Banned
Took a break from Mystic Quest and played some FF IV Complete Collection. I still had an older save to continue from, so this is where I started:

RyBCe.png
bFEvV.png
BVH8M.png

I left off right before descending into the underworld. Almost immediately I was greeted by some astounding high quality FMVs. I guess these were already in the PSX version (I honestly don't remember)?

DOtKh.png
jU5VW.png
bQzpN.png

Right away I arrive at the Dwarf's Fortress and soon after my first boss fight follows.

odQMP.png
3ECly.png

I have to admit, some of the spell animations look really great in this version.

PtmlD.png

And since I haven't played the game for some time, I get a fitting summary for the story so far.

O50Q4.png

I wish I had known before I paid good money at the inn right before this place.

Kkvdd.png

And that's it for today. Got some nice weapons in the tower and quit at the first save point I reached.

Vamphuntr

After opening the sealed gate, we decided to investigate where the espers where going. There was a chocobo stable hidden in the forest so the trip was quick and painless.

25Ao5.png

We were soon greeted by chaos and panic in a burning Vector city. Strangely, Arvis was pretty quick to tell us that it was like that when he first came here. Not suspicious at all...

K5AlF.png
6BNjl.png

Eventually we talked to Emperor Gestahl and he told us with teary puppy eyes that he was so sorry for causing a world spread war and how he was embarassed that mystical creatures were now free and torching the world. HE'S VERY SORRY GUYS. He had no idea that dangerous looking creatures with huge amount of mystical energy would be a threat. Doesn't sound like an hypocrite at all.

lqi9u.png

We had to sit at his banquet where it was possible to answer his questions with ridiculous answers. Beforehand, we also had to convince some his soldiers to stop bein evil or something. I have this strange feeling that it was possible to get rewards from this...

A52Vx.png
4O6BF.png

We eventually agreed to help his hyporcitical highness to track the espers and sign a truce with them. During the boat trip Terra had a serious need to find love.

axe8j.png

We arrived at the village of Thamasa where all inhabitants are trying to make us believe they have no idea what magic is even though they are all casting spells in the town. We met some old senile fool who is supposed to be a great Magic Warrior even though he doesn't start with any magic spells at all except 3 blue magics. The town was so boring that we eventually went to sleep only to be woken up in the middle of the night by the old senile guy. Apparently, his granddaughter is trapped inside a burning house and he's too old to go inside himself.

The inhabitants try to shock us by casting magic spell in plain sight while trying to douse out the flames but we remain stoic as they were already casting spells in front of our eyes before this incident. Apparently, the fire is resistant to spells because there are many fire rods in the house (see picture below)

"Fire Rod"
JN50B.png

We eventually go inside the house and find a magical monster responsible for the blaze. Strangely, the battle didn't last long.

N6kPi.png

With Shadow's help we eventually escaped this burning mess and finally got Strago to help us with our investigation. With then set course for the generic magical mountains to the west because espers are *gasp* apparently attracted to magic. Once inside we tried to not see Relm following us even though she was often at mere centimeters from us.

We reached some magical statues which have the blessing of the espers. Unfortunately, that annoying octopus was there trying to steal them. For some reason, we couldn't defeat him even after spamming Fira and Thundara each worth 1400 HP damages. To beat him we had to have Relm paints Ultro's portrait. When Ultros realized he was actually a generic octopus, because he had no idea he was that boring before, he ran away by diving into the ground. Yes, by diving into the ground.

PwBt5.png
pPkkJ.png

We eventually found the espers and they were quite happy to see us.

R7DZz.png

We all went back to town as a big happy family. Everything was perfect before that insane clown barged in. Kefka and Leo then had a shocking duel.

dU3gs.png

Soon after, Kefka unleashed his most amazing magic spell ever. A spell that makes the screen flash with all of the colors of the rainbow in quick succession. After we recovered from a severe seizure, we eventually realized that Kefka had transformed every espers into magicites. The clown also ran straight to the sealed gate to find even more mystical statues.

Soon after, we had a team reunion where everyone seemed quite happy to accept the new members in.

nPe2E.png
2i8Bb.png

As we climbed aboard the airship, we saw a super magical island of doom in the sky! We even heard Kefka's diabolical laughter even though he was thousands of kilometers above us in the sky.

Since we have no better things to do, we decided to chase him there. I mean what could gowrong when exploring a magical island of doom that contains statues powerful enough to ruin the world's balance?

vtqu3.png

to be continued...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't know if this is the right thread for this but what's the story behind Time Kompression, 3(or 11) sorceresses, Ellone, Rinoa, Adel, and Ultimecia? I never got a hold of the Time Kompression part and what the 4 women actually do.

I don't know if this is the right thread for this but what's the story behind Time Kompression, 3(or 11) sorceresses, Ellone, Rinoa, Adel, and Ultimecia? I never got a hold of the Time Kompression part and what the 4 women actually do.

Time compression is just some insane means to kill Ultimecia in the story, who knows what she actually does it for. Doc Odine is pretty much the only person who explains it and even ends up saying "You need to go into time compression just cause kay???"

Its some sort of odd goal of hers that just gets overshadowed by the fact that it is Ultemicias weakness.... somehow....

Its basically a massive plot device that doesn't have any real goal.

Edit: I think her goal was to endlessly possess new sorceresses for disney villian levels of power or something.

Time Compression smushes the past, present and future into a big ball, with Ultimecia being one of the few people able to survive it (since it's basically her magic). She does it so that SeeD never gets a chance to try and kill her, but wouldn't you know it? They get a chance to anyways.

She possessed Edea and Rinoa as a way to further her plans to unlock Adel from imprisonment, since Adel is still one of the strongest sorcerers alive. Once Adel was possessed, her next objective was to snatch up Ellone, who was the key to the entire Time Compression spell in the first place.

This is all from memory, so there may be some incorrect bits. It's the gist of it all, anyways.

Seda

Time compression is just some insane means to kill Ultimecia in the story, who knows what she actually does it for. Doc Odine is pretty much the only person who explains it and even ends up saying "You need to go into time compression just cause kay???"

Its some sort of odd goal of hers that just gets overshadowed by the fact that it is Ultemicias weakness.... somehow....

Its basically a massive plot device that doesn't have any real goal.

Edit: I think her goal was to endlessly possess new sorceresses for disney villian levels of power or something.

Basically.

"Compressing time with magic... Vat good will it do for ze sorceress to compress time? There may be many reasons, but it doesn't matter."

That's pretty much all that is explained on it. The rest you have to infer however you feel.

Ulti also is slightly insane from having to deal with the whole prophecy of being killed by SeeD, which is why you see dead SeeD members scattered about when you first step into the Time Compressed world. Like it was mentioned, she's one of the few - if only - people who can survive in that world. Obviously your party can survive, but c'mon, it's a game.

anaron

Ulti also is slightly insane from having to deal with the whole prophecy of being killed by SeeD, which is why you see dead SeeD members scattered about when you first step into the Time Compressed world. Like it was mentioned, she's one of the few - if only - people who can survive in that world. Obviously your party can survive, but c'mon, it's a game.

I thought it was implied that TC wasn't fully completed which is why the party was able to make it through? It was stated in game that only Ultimecia could exist in TC.

I thought it was implied that TC wasn't fully completed which is why the party was able to make it through? It was stated in game that only Ultimecia could exist in TC.
It wasn't. Ellone sent Ulti back to the future before the spell was completed, which is why they were able to swim around and reach Ulti's future after the compression.

Trying to finish up XIII before playing XIII-2. Currently in ch11 and gonna move on from the grinding.

Meanwhile, on my psp:

pic_0005.jpg

Yeah, I kill dwarves.
Actually, Yang is bouta die!
For now..

pic_0007.jpg

Gn all!

randomkid

FF1 on GBA and PSP are the same in terms of balance and stuff. Origin and the Wonderswan Color version lie between the original and the GBA/PSP versions in terms of balance. It's quite a sweet spot, in my opinion.

I certainly don't remember being level freaking 40 in <4 hours in the GBA version, so I'll just continue to believe you're a crazy savant.

Random observation: FF4 PSP is the most aesthetically unappealing game ever released, no hyperbole. I say this because the game combines a total of four conflicting styles that are somehow distinctly awful, and it seems like actual effort was put into each hideous style. Just an all around travesty.

I certainly don't remember being level freaking 40 in <4 hours in the GBA version, so I'll just continue to believe you're a crazy savant.

Random observation: FF4 PSP is the most aesthetically unappealing game ever released, no hyperbole. I say this because the game combines a total of four conflicting styles that are somehow distinctly awful, and it seems like actual effort was put into each hideous style. Just an all around travesty.

I kinda agree. It looks like it was made in RPG maker.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Well, it took me nearly an hour of retries to barely beat Lich with a party of level 5 heroes. This does not bode well for the rest of the playthrough. More screenshots/story after I get some sleep.

So, the advice given here has gotten me further in FF1. I realised that the fantasia style magic broomsticks in the shrine actually give you a hint as to how to use the world map "tceles nottub hsad" - this is the point I realised there was also a dash button! *facepalm*

And then I got to the village with the pirates with two party members down, and fell prey to an anti-trope wherein I assumed I was totally safe in a town and didn't heal and save - cue battle with 9 pirates and death. Geez, if you expect any game in the series to hold fast to the genre conventions it would be the first one! (I guess there were no conventions back then...)

Now I am in the elf village, where I found Link's grave! Naughty Square..

Anyway, I am enjoying it much more than I thought I would, the simplicity is actually very refreshing.

Anteater

God damn mandragora and their chestnut attacks, got Quina to learn Limit Glove off from them after a few deaths, don't know what it does though, I think I got most of the skills on this continent, time to move on to Gizamaluke’s Grotto!

darksnowman

Neo Member
Great thread. Loving reading everyones memories and replays.

I might dig back into FF III on DS to try and make some progress in that after quite some time off from it. I got it on release (Europe) and haven't played since long after that as I got burnt out levelling up the jobs, lol. For some reason I thought I would take time out to get all the jobs on each character up to lvl 99 which took its toll on me...! I think I got two or three jobs per character maxed out before never touching the game again. I think I'm at some part where you get thrown in prison, or just after that. Thats the most advanced story point I can remember anyway. If I can reorientate myself in it, I might ignore my job levels and crack on a bit.

Can I get some pointers for FF I? I completed it on Dawn of Souls and enjoyed it alot. Then I went and got it on the Virtual Console to experience it in all its original glory, got to the final dungeon and proceeded to be massacred by the Kraken. I only just squeaked past him in his dungeon - my party couldn't cope with his physical attack at all. Party is Red Mage, Thief, Black Belt and Black Mage, all since promoted. Help!

Just curious but would anyone fancy going into a bit of detail about how you's achieve such quick play times on these games? I'm in awe.

Played a bit of Crisis Core while waiting on the side of a road for a repairman (>_>). Got through the
Angeal and Genesis battles.
The former was probably the first time I've gotten anywhere close to dying. I actually did die, but had a Phoenix Down active thankfully.

The latter's ending was surprisingly emotional. I mean, holy crap I nearly teared up there. ;-;

Phew, Mount Gulg was a bitch. This game has so many random battles. It is mental. I burned through 70 some odd potions (seems pure potions don't exist in the PSP Origins version). Just got my Levistone, time to head to the desert, fuck yeah. The is nothing like unlocking an airship for the first time in a FF game.

EdgecrusherLSU

Neo Member
Damnit! These threads always get me excited to play some old final fantasies but I never go through with it.

Seems so wrong that I haven't beaten the greats like FF6 and 9. I started em but got like an hour or 2 into each and had my attention taken away by other things and just let em get away.

Also, I've been really wanting to replay FF Tactics lately and do all the extra stuff. Maybe I can find the motivation to get started on that.

Look forward to reading about everyone's final fantasy exploits.

Ultratech

Basically.

"Compressing time with magic... Vat good will it do for ze sorceress to compress time? There may be many reasons, but it doesn't matter."

That's pretty much all that is explained on it. The rest you have to infer however you feel.

This is what I found on it:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Compression

But yeah, it's a damn confusing plot point other than time/space gets melded into a singularity.

Apparently, by invoking Time Compression, Ulti hoped to assimilate everything into her, essentially becoming a living god and control pretty much everything (time/space, creation, death, etc.).
But it kinda messes up, since it only partially completes, thus allowing the party to survive (or something along those lines) and to find/defeat Ulti.

Labadal

dHx43.png
LROmD.png

yyr2r.png
KK82S.png

Broman and his friends are determined to fight their way out of this hollowed place. They manage to find a safe room to rest in. Faris is a bit uncomfortable with this situation, he doesn't want to share a room with Broman and Galuf... turns out he's a she.

UOmja.png
pWGsv.png

tARlO.png

Before they manage to escape, Siren interveins and tries to steal the groups lifeforce, but Galuf is immune to her dark magics and slaps the other three in the face. An excellent way to get them to focus at the task at hand. Turns out Siren is no match, she can't handle the kicks and punches Galuf throws at her. They head for the nearest town and Broman needs a way to relax from all the adventure. First he drinks a little, then he plays some music. He's getting better!

PieI7.png
UFZfW.png

BM & Co can't get a boat, but how about a dragon? They ascend the Northern Mountain. The evil Magissa tries to stop them for reasons unknown. Sure enough, they find Reina's father's helmet and further up they find the dragon.

fUR6J.png
LPNsa.png

alERi.png
M9twU.png

The dragon is wounded, Reina finds something that will heal the dragon but manages to poison herself. The dragon is healed and returns the favor by healing Reina. Nothing more to do here so why not visit Walz? The first thing Broman does in Walz is go visit the castle dungeons. His old friend Harpy lives there, you see? Problem is, Harpy wasn't very happy to see Broman again. Broman decides to go visit the King instead. They tell him about the current situation in the world, he doesn't believe them until another meteor hits. Walz tower is in danger, time to investigate! The verocious Y Burns appear!

mxySi.png
OnoCA.png

i699l.png
ZiEnY.png

The party faces another evil monster. The strongest monster Broman has ever seen! They barely manage to defeat it. Luckily, Broman was there to save the day. Walz tower sinks to the bottom of the ocean, but our heroes are miracilously saved by Hydra. With his last powers he saves the party and then unfortunately dies. The sad adventurers salute Garuda's heroism. (Narrator sheds a manly tear.)

kswiston

I really want to join in on this. Even if I have limited time, I should be able to beat a game a month.

I have a ton of Final Fantasy versions at my disposal. Any version recommendations for the first 6 games? Completion speed would be my priority.

What I have:

FF1: NES, PS1, GBA, PSP
FF2: PS1, GBA, PSP
FF3: DS <- an easy choice
FF4: SNES, PS1, GBA, DS (I would consider getting the PSP version if it is worth it)
FF5: PS1, GBA
FF6: SNES, PS1, GBA, Virtual Console

Berordn

It's true, the GBA and PSP versions are 100% gameplay-identical. You must just have a hazy memory!

PSP/iOS version also has a new dungeon and superboss. Not identical!

But the difficulty is the same in both. PSP FF1 and Dawn of Souls are super easy.

After reading through 15 year anniversary of FF7 thread and getting so damn nostalgic I thought of a playthrough or a try of one in any case :)

Now to the "hard" part :)
What to play it on... My original discs are all scratched to death curtsey of my younger brother but I managed to make backups on my PC so emulator is a safe bet.
Or I can go and buy it from PSN but I'm worried how it would look on my TV (46'' LCD HDTV nothing fancy)

So folks help an old man (has it really been 15 years dammit) relive last trickles of his youth ;)
(33 y/o)

Pachimari

I'm reminded that I actually got to the very end of Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII without ever completing it. =;(

Was the ending worth all the hours?

And I am thinking of signing up for PS+ to buy FF VII and FF IX on discount, and get FF V for free next month. I haven't played any of them ever.

Aeana

After reading through 15 year anniversary of FF7 thread and getting so damn nostalgic I thought of a playthrough or a try of one in any case :)

Now to the "hard" part :)
What to play it on... My original discs are all scratched to death curtsey of my younger brother but I managed to make backups on my PC so emulator is a safe bet.
Or I can go and buy it from PSN but I'm worried how it would look on my TV (46'' LCD HDTV nothing fancy)

So folks help an old man (has it really been 15 years dammit) relive last trickles of his youth ;)
(33 y/o)

It won't look that bad on your TV, especially if you turn the smoothing option on (adds a bilinear filter to the image, making it a bit softer).

After jumping back into Final Fantasy XIII (34 hour mark, Chapter 10) I gotta say I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Even moreso than when I was initially playing it back at release (maybe that had to do with being in the middle of grad school at the time...).

Just beat
Raines
--- I really struggled to find the right battle team and paradigm setup with this one. I ended up using Lightning, Vanille, and Hope. Normally I'm much more offensive, and not a fan of having two mages/casters, but it was the only conceivable way to win the battle. Using the combo of the two to debuff/buff and heal.

The thing that is still eluding the hell out of me is the upgrade system. I mean I understand the mechanics of it, but I'm not always sure if I'm making the right choices in terms of my upgrades. Also, not sure about when is the right time to dismantle weapon and begin using upgrades on a new weapon. I don't really want to use a guide to tell me what to do, just hope I don't screw it up too much.

By the time I had finally finished the battle it was late, so I'll be playing more tonight for sure. Hope to make some nice progress.

also...hell yeah that FFV is coming out for free on PSN in February! --- one of the few FF mainline games I haven't beaten

Top Bottom