• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
And we're back!

ilb1zy4XP4BwU.jpg

Playtime! Yay! ...nevermind.

iW1l6fExMeXBW.jpg

Farewell Corel. Hello Scarlet and her Invisible Gun!

iOn8aHkXVSdeT.jpg

Yes because I'm stupid and still don't know my way around this horrid prison.

i47MAu7jVoHEp.jpg

"I don't wanna fight you!" cue battle screen transition.

iL1yEnLm02vxJ.jpg

Manual Trasmission... for a bird? My buggy broke down already?! What a cheap pos!

iZUSzrIVhWNde.jpg

After a cram session on planet study, we see Sephiroth cheap shotting poor weak little Cloud with a materia.

iRdvBUEVXLFyc.jpg

I can't disagree with this, but do any of them know how to fly?

i5VxXl5gXGZqb.jpg

Ah he seems like a nice guy!...... Yes sir.

ibnLbSzT4zDh1A.jpg

Greatest ending to a battle ever.

iAtwBExQtjsWH.jpg

That's right! Take your crash landing like a man! Now I can freely sail the seas on our stolen downed plane. So let's pay one last visit to our buggy which will soon disappear off the world map forever. Bye bye buggy!

God damn mandragora and their chestnut attacks, got Quina to learn Limit Glove off from them after a few deaths, don't know what it does though, I think I got most of the skills on this continent, time to move on to Gizamaluke’s Grotto!
If Quina has exactly 1 HP, Limit Glove will do 9999 damage.
Took forever to steal the ice staff from gizamaluke! Quina died in the process of it, and many potions were used
Don't forget to get Magic Hammer once you get to Burmecia!

Aeana

Hopefully, I'll be able to get back to FF3 tomorrow. Busy, busy, busy this week. I really need to finish it before the weekend, so I can dive into 13-2. Fortunately, I'm already about halfway through, so I only need a day or so to beat it.

Cheska

I'm loving that some of you are taking screen shots of your games as your playing through. Are you guys just playing on a home console and using a capture card? I'd love to do the same, but with so many Final Fantasy titles available on portable systems, I see myself leaning towards that route instead. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to take decent shots of a game being played on a DS/PSP.

Aeana

I'm loving that some of you are taking screen shots of your games as your playing through. Are you guys just playing on a home console and using a capture card? I'd love to do the same, but with so many Final Fantasy titles available on portable systems, I see myself leaning towards that route instead. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to take decent shots of a game being played on a DS/PSP.

For PSP games, you can use a custom firmware plugin. There isn't a good solution for DS.

Glix

Surprised and impressed with Crisis Core.

Just one more mission... lol. Also, Square's usual PSP graphics mastery on display.

Aeana

Shit out of luck on both those things then :( Oh well, thanks Aeana!

Is there some reason why you can't use CFW on PSP? It's really safe and undoable now. These days, what you do is, you run an app on the PSP that puts you into temporary CFW that gives you all of the benefits of CFW until you reboot the system. At that point, it's back to stock OFW. There's no danger, so IMO there's no reason not to do it!

Here's a quick and easy rundown by Stump here in this thread: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34637129&postcount=367

Jucksalbe

Banned
This thread is becoming a recruting ground for the PSP custom firmware thread. Would never have tried it if it wasn't for this thread (and now I can finally use my PSX game saves with my PSN versions! :) ).

Scythian

Finished FF1 yesterday. I thought about posting more images, bosses and the final "Final Fantasy" screen, but I decided to not post them in case it ruins anyone's enjoyment :D

I got the Wind Crystal
icpkadiQ6xx7t.bmp

Fought some monsters and finally beat Chaos.
iLsZbp2vxzPjN.bmp

Final party:
ihbgbbFp9m2fL.bmp

I actually forgot to turn off my PSP in the middle of a battle for two hours, so I beat the game in approximately 15 hours. I still don't understand how Aeana could beat it in four.

Anyway, I started a Final Fantasy 2 game right away.
iRGWdZST0xJdZ.bmp
iCkqz7zkkSMbu.bmp

I realized the screenshots that I already took were really boring, so I'll update later.

-Stranger-

I'm in

First up i'm going to complete my replay of FFVII i started awhile ago, around 1/2 through.
Then i'm going to finish up FFXII for the first time, been playing it for a couple of years and just keep getting sidetracked (on the last dungeon)
Then i'm going to replay FFVIII on my PSP and start up my copy of FFIX for the first time.
Also need to complete my replay of FFX
And lastly i'll be starting up FFXIII on my 360
:)

Aeana

I actually forgot to turn off my PSP in the middle of a battle for two hours, so I beat the game in approximately 15 hours. I still don't understand how Aeana could beat it in four.

Well, I personally am surprised it's taking people 15ish on average! In the PSP version, pretty much what I do is just walk from one place to another without stopping for grinding for any reason for most of the game. Once I get the ship, I do the puzzle game to get a couple of items to sell (sadly, the gil reward was nerfed in this version from the Origins version), and then continue on normally until I get to the ice cave, where I fight the Evil Eye boss over and over again for a little while for ~3000 gil and exp per fight. That's the only grinding I do in the game, and it probably isn't even necessary, it's just kind of a habit. From there, I continue on normally until I beat it. It really doesn't take very long at all!

I know it takes longer if you don't know exactly where to go from each location, or what you can get away with in each boss fight, but the game is super short.

Scythian

Well, I personally am surprised it's taking people 15ish on average! In the PSP version, pretty much what I do is just walk from one place to another without stopping for grinding for any reason for most of the game. Once I get the ship, I do the puzzle game to get a couple of items to sell (sadly, the gil reward was nerfed in this version from the Origins version), and then continue on normally until I get to the ice cave, where I fight the Evil Eye boss over and over again for a little while for ~3000 gil and exp per fight. That's the only grinding I do in the game, and it probably isn't even necessary, it's just kind of a habit. From there, I continue on normally until I beat it. It really doesn't take very long at all!

I know it takes longer if you don't know exactly where to go from each location, or what you can get away with in each boss fight, but the game is super short.

This was my first time beating the game, so I didn't know where to go most of the time, I even had to use a walkthrough. And since the encounter rate is really high, I constantly over-leveled so, with the exception of Marilith, all of the bosses were a breeze. I took my sweet time through the game :D

Jucksalbe

Banned
After playing some Sword of Mana for comparison (yeah, it sucks), I continued playing Mystic Quest.

4ywN1.png
EhLnJ.png

Welcome to Wendel.

Ytyq6.png
Aqfd0.png

After a lot of running around, I finally found the mine. Don't really know why they made me run around for oil, but at least it wasn't far off. You have to be careful in the mine, as far as I remember you can actually completely screw up your game if you save inside with too few items. Luckily I brought enough.

huV6G.png
6NqNX.png

Another broken boss fight. Just stay on the stairs and attack with your whip. The worm can't reach you there.

FI24i.png
rNbhT.png
oqRX8.png

Reached the ship, only to be thrown off again. At least I got the amulet...for a short while.

0asyZ.png

The game has a nice visual effect for showing of blindness.

7Mlm5.png

I remember being stuck at this place for hours when I first played it. Maybe it's the translation but the game isn't very clear about what you have to do. To open the cave you have to walk around the palms in an 8 figure, not really something you find out by chance.

x8h5R.png
Pb6ei.png

Boss fights. From my experience the chain whip is the only weapon to comfortably fight most bosses.

V1kCJ.png

Moogle! (sorry for the blurry image, had to stay alive)

BnypI.png

I have seen this boss before.

skXZT.png
ZBOJJ.png

This is where I stopped with my current stats. You're leveling up very fast in this game, I'd guess about once every 10 minutes.

randomkid

Haha I got curious enough to check my FF1 GBA cart and looks like I've got a couple save files. In one I'm at the Dragon Caves, two crystals are filled, I'm at Level 47 and the clock says 15:18. In my Game Clear file I'm at Level 81 and the clock says 25:33.

The saves are from 2006 and it was my first time playing, so I really don't remember much. I think I did every bit of bonus material. Maybe I left it on for a while checking out the bestiary (which is at 91%)? Maybe I spent a lot of time lost? Maybe I'm the worst FF1 player in history? Like I said, I choose instead to believe Aeana is just a super savant.

Anyways, beat Garland again for fun, couldn't figure out how to do more than 1800 sword damage even with temper and haste, seems kinda low for an FF endgame. Game still looks really pretty.

kyubajin

Just purchased VI on PSN a coupe of days ago and I'm throughly enjoying it. After I'm done with that I'll finally go on and finish VII and VIII, then it's glorious IX's time again.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I played a little bit of Final Fantasy (PSP) for a change. I had an all-Warriors save left, that I started over a year ago on a boring train ride. I started off with this:

MiY3K.png

Started right before I reached Melmond.

1W6DN.png
qK5QI.png

Right on to the first two bosses. The Vampire went down fast, the Lich, well....

yajw6.png

That damage values I'm dealing out don't look so good.

0HBjB.png

Okay, paralyzing my whole party isn't very nice.

cQB01.png

And this was my last attack. Not pictured: My death.
Is there anything I can do with a party full of Warriors? Didn't see any elemental equipment or something like that.

Like I said, I choose instead to believe Aeana is just a super savant.

Every single time I play a new (to me) RPG, I'll say something like "hmmm, so I've been playing for about 35 hours and I'm to {dungeon X}, am I getting near the end?" and Aeana will be all like "y u so n00by i beat that in liek 12 hrs PEACE"

Ultratech

Haha I got curious enough to check my FF1 GBA cart and looks like I've got a couple save files. In one I'm at the Dragon Caves, two crystals are filled, I'm at Level 47 and the clock says 15:18. In my Game Clear file I'm at Level 81 and the clock says 25:33.

The saves are from 2006 and it was my first time playing, so I really don't remember much. I think I did every bit of bonus material. Maybe I left it on for a while checking out the bestiary (which is at 91%)? Maybe I spent a lot of time lost? Maybe I'm the worst FF1 player in history? Like I said, I choose instead to believe Aeana is just a super savant.

I went and looked at my GBA saves for FF1. I got two sitting at around 10 hrs, and those supposedly cover all of the Bonus Dungeon stuff, with one having a Lv93ish party. (With something like a ~90% Bestiary entry, since the last bonus dungeon is a bitch to go through multiple times.)

I'm not surprised somebody can beat FF1 within a few hours.

For PSP games, you can use a custom firmware plugin. There isn't a good solution for DS.

The only way I'm aware of is using an emulator to take screenshots. That's what I had to do when I needed pics of Soma Bringer way back when for a project.
Granted, that's not totally feasible for everyone...

Aeana

Every single time I play a new (to me) RPG, I'll say something like "hmmm, so I've been playing for about 35 hours and I'm to {dungeon X}, am I getting near the end?" and Aeana will be all like "y u so n00by i beat that in liek 12 hrs PEACE"

Hey, that's not true.
I don't say PEACE. I'm not Pimpwerx.

stupei

Just chiming in to say that I'm trying to do this!

Saw the thread over the weekend and none of my friends managed to talk me out of it. (Though they do make many valid points about how my backlog is already huge! They're so right!) I'm not sure yet if I'll be insane enough to attempt every game in the series. I'm very bad at finishing games -- unlike, say, Aeana, who is ridiculously good at finishing them in like a day -- but this seems like a very good excuse to try, and I'm sure the extra motivation provided by the anniversary couldn't hurt.

So on that note I'm playing my DS copy of III in the evening and a PSN purchased copy of VIII on my PSP during my commute so that my 3DS can streetpass. The two are so different that it doesn't seem likely that I'll end up burnt out. But who knows!

Never played any of 3 before, but I'm liking it way more than I thought I would. Was frustrated for about a half hour last night during the minis part, but now I'm good. I've got a boat!

I played 8 way back in the day but never finished it. It's not even that I hated it like some people do, it's just that the shift to the tall "realistic" character design was a huge turn off at the time. It was such a big let down after 7 or games like Suikoden that felt at least a little whimsical in style. But I've made peace with its differences now, so I think I'm ready to go. Very early going in that one since I only started it this morning and spent a lot of time poking around in the computer at Squall's desk. I think all the tutorials it sends you through at the beginning was another thing that put me off of 8 when I was younger that I don't really mind at all now.

I am also pretty sure I will use this thread as an excuse to replay 7 and 4, since they're my favorites, and to get my dad to finally mail me my SNES copy of 6.

Aeana

Ooh, first-time 3 player. I definitely want to hear your thoughts.
Even though I like the DS version a lot less than the Famicom version, it's still good, and honestly my perspective comes from someone who has played the FC version a lot. If you need any tips, perhaps I can help with that.

The game does have an item dupe trick for any item you can use in battle, but it's kinda cheap to use (although it can be useful to dupe phoenix downs if you're dying a lot, since you cannot buy them in stores).

It suddenly occurs to me that my party (B. Mage, Summoner, Bard, Dragoon) might actually be able to beat the two superbosses in the rift. I'll have to give that a shot when I get there.

WANTED: Omega
Omega_FF5.png

(This one should be easy.)

WANTED: Shinryu
Shinryu-ffv.gif

(This one will probably be a pain.)

Matchew

4 hours into VIII still really like it, although it takes some time to draw magic and get enough to junction to make your stats increase, I can see this becoming a grind later on.

Another thing, why couldn't I have had a teacher like Quistis, she putting out for Squall and he is the biggest ass to her, lol. The scene in the training center I think I would have never talked to Squall again if I was Quistis.

Never played any of 3 before, but I'm liking it way more than I thought I would.

Nice! I totally adored FF3 when I played through the DS version (almost entirely, in my memory at least, during trips to the laundromat.) It's just so adorable!

catchan

Neo Member
I played yesterday for a while. That's how far I got:

found sleeping beauty:
pic_0009.jpg

argh, not again a sealed door....I want the mystic key!
pic_0015.jpg

hm...Astos somehow reminds me of those troll-figurines with the neon coloured upstanding hair.
pic_0019.jpg

finally:
pic_0023.jpg

that sounds somehow familiar....
pic_0026.jpg

that was one easy fight....he went down by the second attack:
pic_0028.jpg

so, that's how far I came:
pic_0032.jpg

Jucksalbe

Banned
Back to Mystic Quest:

ROALV.png

The dungeon starts right off with a boss fight in the third room. After a minute of trying to hit it, you should probably have noticed that you can't hit him with your current weapons. So back into the dungeon! (luckily they don't lock the door behind you!)

C8yXE.png
13YP0.png

The next target is another boss deep within the dungeon. He looks mean, but you can easily evade all of his attacks and attack him from below with your whip. Your reward is the mace.

98q3K.png
ovREn.png

So back to the Golem. The fight is pretty easy, you can hit him from the side and run around him when he comes too close.

ksVnM.png

Back to the castle from the beginning of the game. Will this be the final dungeon?

FdTFt.png
0Ij2A.png

First boss fight: Chimera. This one's not as easily evaded as the other ones before. You have to watch out! It actually kicked me out of the screen in the lower right and I had to start over. I beat it by brute force. It doesn't hit too hard, with a bit of healing you can directly confront it. After the fight you're reunited with the girl (which means free healing!), only to tell her you screwed up.

oezJR.png
bOE30.png

Finally: the Dark Lord! The fight is very easy if you use the sword. You have to hit him from behind, but if you use your powered up attack you're guaranteed at least one hit. Use the "Kraftschwert" (power sword?) you found inside the dungeon and you're even automatically healed while you fight.

j0sFA.png
wKEpC.png

Of course, the game's far from over. The girl's kidnapped, the actual evil guy wins, he's now so powerful noone could ever beat him, except for you of course.

JVxhD.png
4JJdx.png

And he fell again. But what's that? Yes! A chocobo (they actually call it "dodo" in the German version....). So this is Final Fantasy after all.

j65o1.png

After this I forgot to take screenshots for a while. In between I traveled around the world on my chocobo bought some armor, visited a town where almost everyone's frozen and entered the ice dungeon to help them. After this very, very long dungeon comes this boss fight. It's not easy to evade its attacks, but if you bought the ice armor beforehand, every attack only hits you for 1HP. So in the end, another easy fight.

fiOkp.png
tSouU.png

And this is where I stopped. The village is saved and I'm now in search of the legendary sword "Excalibur". Level 43 already, the other save file is at the end of the game, so I should be done soon.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I had quite the lengthy post going. I accidentally clicked the close tab button.

There isn't a loud enough sigh for this.

Anteater

Damn, missed the mythril sword from Beatrix, just got to Treno with Rusty and Dagger! Good to have a healer back in the party

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Previously on Butts and Balls

The group continues their travels north, and then east past a mountain pass, to the town of Pravoca. The locals greet them warmly.

ibqB2Tl8u2bVHh.jpg
izqH9liYkkH1H.jpg

Dejected, and muttering amongst themselves about the rude locals, they accidentally bump into a band of pirates.

ioQSCAkll09i3.jpg

Somehow, a fight breaks out. It isn't much of a fight.

ibhqlDBzbl10dn.jpg

Bikke, fearing a similar trouncing, offers them his ship.

ilUKDgsOSbjIG.jpg

Skeptically, the group heads out to the pier. Lo and behold, there was a ship waiting for them!

i6zxze5VAeLJR.jpg

They run aboard to check out their new ride, and amid all the excited squealing, Gauche finds a strange puzzle game in the main quarters.

iv4Bl8ymQdDwq.jpg

After what seemed like hours of playing, Gauche feels a rough shove on his shoulder from Droit.

"Hey man, what's wrong with you? You've been staring at that wall for like ten minutes man!"

Dazed, Gauche leans on the box in front of him to stagger to his feet, just as Gauche pushes him aside.

"Hey, where'd this chest come from?!"

They were 60,000 gil richer.

Shopping and a night in a nice, comfy bed ensued.

ibjC7DtnXu10Tp.jpg
iiMVI58xnZl0R.jpg

In the morning, they set sail due southwest, and find themselves docking near the town of Elfheim. Again, they are accosted by the locals.

izeQbTU7jeYZy.jpg
irjc2bikOoRZy.jpg

Tired of this crap, they head straight for the blacksmith in town and demand his shiniest swords.

isyMkwUXcSW9w.jpg

Afterwards, they find that the town is a depressing place filled with mopey elves talking about how their beloved prince won't get up from bed. They decide to head west and explore further.

Eventually, they stumble upon the Western Keep.

ip07Xd1a9OI2L.jpg

The place is in ruins and looks deserted. Just as the group discusses moving on, they hear a cough from the central throne room.

ivhYfVL1fAurJ.jpg
i7ojKG5UxEMZk.jpg

Feeling bad for the old minor king, they agree and head south to the Marsh Cave.

iberah3sH5qNZ0.jpg

Inside, they barely manage to escape with their lives as they run past an unending tide of dangerous critters in their search for the crown. Finally, they find themselves in a room with a chest guarded by a pair of Piscodemons. Convinced they have no other choice, they engage the pair.

iWRx4oA2tnlzn.jpg
iqWPIrATagvhn.jpg

As luck would have it, therein lied the crown.

iv9j9iWTLfdjz.jpg

Victorious, they marched back north to the Western Keep and the old king.

iiwqxniUivJgq.jpg
iED1ZzX5yWpG7.jpg

For all the pomp and circumstance, Astos wasn't much of a threat.

ibzyjSSxKVKzao.jpg
iWA38ES7Pe219.jpg

Examining the crystal eye, Rechts recalls one of the Pravocan locals talking about an old blind witch who saw with a crystal eye.

So, they sail back north, dock at Cornelia and travel across the bridge again, but investigate to the west of the mountain pass. There, they find Matoya's Cave.

ibukarQZNbcRUF.jpg

Inside, they find an assortment of gibberish-spouting walking brooms and the blind witch herself.

i4VG4vtXBIQZT.jpg

With the return of her precious Crystal Eye, Matoya is so happy she whips up a batch of her Jolt Tonic for them. Strangely, just as this happens, she proclaims that they're far too ugly to be in her presence, and promptly kicks them out.

Slightly dejected, they decide to travel back to Elfheim and see if the Jolt Tonic will wake the comatose Elf Prince.

iqWR5Zgs2FkOx.jpg

It does, and as soon as he awakens, the prince proclaims them to be the legendary Warriors of Light, and bestows upon them the Mystic Key.

iULNspeeMPHbY.jpg

Realizing the Mystic Key opens up all those locked rooms they've found since visiting Cornelia, they go on a whirlwind tour of treasure hunting.

i2mvBllE3f3zV.jpg
iM5gwUoP90w5M.jpg

They end their search in Cornelia, where a wise old man approaches them before they can get to their precious treasure.

iKMMt2GAfObdt.jpg
iXkjw444qwDqz.jpg

Not knowing what to do with the Nitro Powder. one of them recalls hearing about an industrious group of dwarves in Mount Duergar who may be able to help. They sail out towards Mt. Duergar.

iYvPghPYZtjow.jpg

Asking around, they find a dwarf working on a canal to allow them to travel outside of the Aldean Sea. The group eagerly offers the Nitro Powder to the dwarf to complete his task.

ir1nOSAFKMQsU.jpg

And with a loud bang...

iJayaLbxAOETu.jpg
iK1DEjo2hhQ7O.jpg

Eager to explore, the crew sails west through the canal, and finds themselves at the town of Melmond. As usual, there's a problem.

i1hd3bMYvQstA.jpg
ibwOA5kDUijz7.jpg

Also as per usual, they decide to go shopping. However, this time, they find that the wares being offered are far too rich for their blood.

ii1E8c0d1lQ85.jpg

Regardless, they decide they have nothing better to do, and head west, and then south, to the Terra Cavern to find this vampire. They decide to camp out before heading into the cavern in the morning.

ifYOAeah4c1jH.jpg

Next time on Butts and Balls

Toth

I'd like to have a little fun with a mage walk through of FF 1. Is an all BLM team still possible or ridiculously difficult?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
After playing some Sword of Mana for comparison (yeah, it sucks), I continued playing Mystic Quest.
I remember being very excited when this was announced. Playing Mystic Quest with SD3 gfx was the ultimate dream for me. Such a fucking shame what they did instead

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I'd like to have a little fun with a mage walk through of FF 1. Is an all BLM team still possible or ridiculously difficult?

I've done it on the original NES FF1. It's possible. It can be very difficult though. You're going to need a lot of potions. It's probably a lot easier on later revisions of the game (Easy mode FF Origins, or the GBA/PSP remakes).

I was talking with Segs about this the other day, and he made a good point about pretty much any team being viable. There's one-man White Mage runs documented. It's just a matter of how hard you want to make it for yourself.

I'm really familiar with the game, and I love a challenge, so I'm having fun with this low level run I'm screenshotting. That being said, fighting Lich with a party of level 5s is pretty frustrating, even for me.

stupei

Ooh, first-time 3 player. I definitely want to hear your thoughts.
Even though I like the DS version a lot less than the Famicom version, it's still good, and honestly my perspective comes from someone who has played the FC version a lot. If you need any tips, perhaps I can help with that.

The game does have an item dupe trick for any item you can use in battle, but it's kinda cheap to use (although it can be useful to dupe phoenix downs if you're dying a lot, since you cannot buy them in stores).

Well, since you offered!

I have a (probably very stupid) question about the job system in this one. So far I'm going with a warrior, red mage, and white mage, but uncertain what I want to make Refia into so for now she's still been a freelancer and she's doing pretty good damage. My concern is whether or not the other jobs unlock as you naturally progress through the game or if I have to let characters level up enough in a specific job to unlock other similar paths. If that's the case, I'll probably want to move Refia along into SOMETHING sooner than I would otherwise.

Probably a stupid question because I'm sure it'd be easy to find an answer but I'm at work at the moment and GAF is often a better resource than google anyway.

Aeana

Well, since you offered!

I have a (probably very stupid) question about the job system in this one. So far I'm going with a warrior, red mage, and white mage, but uncertain what I want to make Refia into so for now she's still been a freelancer and she's doing pretty good damage. My concern is whether or not the other jobs unlock as you naturally progress through the game or if I have to let characters level up enough in a specific job to unlock other similar paths. If that's the case, I'll probably want to move Refia along into SOMETHING sooner than I would otherwise.

Probably a stupid question because I'm sure it'd be easy to find an answer but I'm at work at the moment and GAF is often a better resource than google anyway.

Jobs unlock precisely the way they do in FF5. You'll get the power of a crystal, and it'll give you jobs. I would definitely recommend against keeping people in freelancer because freelancer isn't great at anything and the stats are very middling. You might want to look into monk, because they're very powerful in the game, unlike some other FFs. Just keep in mind that if you don't have two weapons to give them, they're better barehanded. Equipping only one weapon in one hand will actually lower your attack.

Another tip I would give is that you should never be averse to changing jobs when the need arises, because sometimes in the game, you're going to be pretty much forced to use certain jobs (like when you have to be mini, obviously you need to be mages).

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Previously on Butts and Balls

Exploring the Terra Cavern made the group long for their time exploring the Marsh Cave. The creatures living here were even more relentless in their pursuit, and there were many times they found themselves near death.

Even so, the quartet finds themselves in front of the purported "vampire". They giggle at the thought of swatting this flying rodent out of the air.

i0hP0ookcm8BY.jpg

Apparently, they weren't familiar with the concept of vampires.

iin4RfjUyhfbK.jpg

A vicious battle ensues, largely between Rechts and the foul beast. With the aid of his friends, Rechts manages to strike the final blow.

iy3HfDsbtVjWV.jpg
iDk6lqz3kauWs.jpg

They trek back to Melmond to find that nothing has changed. They decide to rest for the night.

if8FtcelRpZNU.jpg
ijJQqpg8sEbBc.jpg

In the morning, they bump into a local who spots Links handling the Star Ruby they found in the cavern. He tells them about the cave pass blocked by a titan enamored with gems.

They head west and south to the Titan's Cave.

ibuIQbyGqtrwri.jpg

They find the massive Titan standing guard in the cave, and offer it the Star Ruby.

ibpsoKDud7Tfm7.jpg
ierDPcE168NnU.jpg

Astonished that the Titan would eat the damned thing, they can do little but watch it stomp away.

ibyvFxb0SDY1KO.jpg

On the other side of the cave, they find themselves in a clearing overlooking a small mountain range. They travel around it and find another cave.

i4wDpShtyAUmK.jpg

Peeking inside, they find a Sage living there, and accept his offer to sit for a spell. They tell their tale, and he offers an important item to help the town of Melmond.

iO2n2bz5g5dvY.jpg
iqy7QRUS8Vn4d.jpg

So, they trek back through the cave, and straight on back to the Terra Cavern. They press on from where they defeated the Vampire, and find the stone plate the Sage spoke of.

iTjFkWFUr9yNN.jpg

Droit touches the Earth Rod to the plate, and it vanishes, revealing a passage deeper into the cavern.

i0soKlKOIZIY.jpg

Evading even more dangerous critters than the ones they encountered above, they find their way to a chamber with a large floating crystal.

ioCTvKYL1vJZn.jpg

Could this be the entity blocking the flow of the Earth Crystal's power?

i48Ozz5AVtTvo.jpg
io8B3ZroxGVPA.jpg

And with that, they find themselves face to face with the most monstrous creature they have yet encountered. The battle with the Lich is especially long and arduous, and just as they think they might be done for, Links manages to sink his sword into the Lich's chest.

irCbCFtgqAzdF.jpg
ibp4jIJgsevsqY.jpg

No sooner did Lich's lifeless body hit the ground, than the earth crystal they were carrying begin to hum in time with the larger crystal in front of them.

i7bKDFPJLpfXn.jpg
ijxhAbLqLWZbs.jpg

Flush with victory, they decide to all step onto the glowing dais.

ibxNrC2cIkHjvs.jpg
ibtmMbFcy0LbLd.jpg

And in an instant, they are outside Terra Cavern. Confused, yet relieved, they set out on their long trek back to Melmond for some well-deserved rest.

iZ3ygIdFEH9f2.jpg
ivmJy9jlORWVi.jpg

stupei

You get more jobs as
you find the rest of the crystals.

Jobs unlock precisely the way they do in FF5. You'll get the power of a crystal, and it'll give you jobs. I would definitely recommend against keeping people in freelancer because freelancer isn't great at anything and the stats are very middling. You might want to look into monk, because they're very powerful in the game, unlike some other FFs. Just keep in mind that if you don't have two weapons to give them, they're better barehanded. Equipping only one weapon in one hand will actually lower your attack.

Another tip I would give is that you should never be averse to changing jobs when the need arises, because sometimes in the game, you're going to be pretty much forced to use certain jobs (like when you have to be mini, obviously you need to be mages).

Thanks guys.

I wasn't originally planning to keep her as a freelancer. I actually thought it might be fun to equip her with a bow for a while but I don't have the Hunter class yet. I didn't come up with a Plan B so I was just leaving her alone for now since she was doing pretty decently still. Might try monk, though; thanks for the suggestion.

Aeana

When I last left off, I had just gained access to the sewers in Amur, and had run across some dudes who were impersonating my party.

w51wel.jpg
eud10l.jpg

hQjW4l.jpg
qn7frl.jpg

So we head into the sewers, and find the legendary heroes surrounded by a group of... goblins? After we save them from the scaaary goblins, they realize that they probably are not, in fact, the legendary warriors.

Y6kiRl.jpg
AdMQSl.jpg
LzZ7Xl.jpg

c2rt4l.jpg
Qg0uzl.jpg
DYByKl.jpg

At the end of the sewer, we find the person who has the floating shoes we need to get past the swamp. At first, the person does not want to give up the shoes, and actually throws a bomb-disguised-as-shoes at us (omg). However, it would appear that the fake legendary warriors are friends with this person, so we get the shoes in the end!

UHhqKl.jpg

The opposite of strong is women!

NSB24l.jpg
Udyktl.jpg

I forgot to mention this earlier in the run, but the reason why we needed to get into the sewers and get the shoes is because our ship is chained up outside, and the person who has the key is holed up to the south, across a dangerous poisonous swamp!

hzIdRl.jpg
3nKi4l.jpg

Inside Goldor's mansion, there are locked doors that can either be unlocked for free by a thief, or with magic keys. But first...

ISKtxl.jpg
jPV3wl.jpg

There is a treasure room here that has golden swords. 11 of them! They have terrible, terrible stats, but can be sold for a nice amount of money. This is good, because we're going to need some of that money very shortly.

cM50dl.jpg
8hv35l.jpg

P7Zaml.jpg
QYxnNl.jpg

Goldor's a ninny. He casts level 2 spells, which can certainly hurt, but my blackbelt can use focus and deal over 500 damage per hit, so he's down in a couple of turns.

W8D8Rl.jpg
wW9Xll.jpg
0F4uXl.jpg

In a last-ditch effort to rob us of any good fortune, Goldor destroys the crystal he was guarding, so no new jobs for us just yet. (._. ) Fortunately, he does leave behind the key to the chains on the Enterprise, so woo-hoo.

DKOuUl.jpg
LADLRl.jpg

Airship freed, I head to Duster, the home of geomancers for no reason in particular. One of the NPCs here mentions what that weird shadowy thing was to the south of Gurugan valley early in the game, though. And I get two earth drums that I'll probably never use. Since I'm not using bard, geomancer or conjurer at the moment, this village and the summoner village to the northwest aren't useful at the moment, so the next destination is the vast kingdom of Saronia.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
8 hours down. I found myself watching as Cait Sith heads towards his final destination...

30 minutes later I'm prompted to switch to Disc 2 after watching Aeris head towards hers... ;_;

Aeana

KLWiEl.jpg
PkWWJl.jpg

UK2cel.jpg
boUuwl.jpg

As we fly into Saronian airspace... suddenly, cannon balls come from all directions, and our airship is destroyed! After we fall to the ground and live (what?), we find out that something is very, very wrong here. The king is having the soldiers fight each other.

CNKR7l.jpg

The very first time I played this game, this place kinda surprised me. It's really, really big. It has four districts which are like towns themselves, plus the castle.

ztlUwl.jpg
bvbqKl.jpg

Inside the tavern in the southwestern district, it seems that the prince is being harassed by some dudes. After we save him, he asks for our help in getting back into the castle so he can try to reason with his father.

69giRl.jpg
s758Xl.jpg
CPtHll.jpg

As I wander around talking to people and looting chests, I start to think that mayhaps the game is trying to tell me something...

oFE98l.jpg

Ah yes. Why else would there be 4 complete sets of dragon armor around the city for free? This is the most infamous part of FF3, I think. I really don't like it, so I just rushed through as quickly as I could.

ptZMrl.jpg
Z2TNbl.jpg
QC41Yl.jpg
NObtDl.jpg

After we get into the castle, we find out that apparently the king wants to talk to us. Crazy king who cast out his son suddenly lets him in with no resistance. There's nothing suspicious here, at all.

3kXKal.jpg
A9Kwwl.jpg
n5H1Rl.jpg
CrNwol.jpg

Ah, right. Well, the king is pretty crazy, but he's being controlled by Gilgamesh. Instead of killing the prince, he turns the knife on himself, and Gilgamesh attacks us.

YQi1rl.jpg
9LPUxl.jpg
Q2kj8l.jpg

This fight is notorious for being absolutely ridiculous. Every turn, Garuda will cast thunder, which will do about 450-500 damage per person. The only way to get through this battle at a reasonable level is to take the game's earlier not-so-subtle advice and change everyone to dragoons so you can use jump. I died twice, but on my third attempt, I managed to get all of my jumps off without being attacked, and won in three turns.

BETgel.jpg
rNGZVl.jpg
EkKoll.jpg

After we win, we wander around and get some hints about what to do next. We also get a brand new airship called the Nautilus that doubles as a submarine! :fluttershyyay

PLYptl.jpg
eksIql.jpg

After doing a little bit of shopping and admiring my kickin' new ride, I'm ready to go.

YQi1rl.jpg
9LPUxl.jpg
Q2kj8l.jpg

This fight is notorious for being absolutely ridiculous. Every turn, Garuda will cast thunder, which will do about 450-500 damage per person. The only way to get through this battle at a reasonable level is to take the game's earlier not-so-subtle advice and change everyone to dragoons so you can use jump. I died twice, but on my third attempt, I managed to get all of my jumps off without being attacked, and won in three turns.

I had "fun" with this in the DS version (Where Garuda gets two actions per turn, both of which can be thunder). It took me many tries (Because thunder sure is some BS), but the one that I finally won ended in two turns: one for the launch, one for everyone's landing.

I like Dragoons more than is probably healthy (they've really never been that good), but that fight is stupid.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ready to fire Mystic Quest up for a little bit since work got in the way on the weekend (;_;)... and I get the feeling that school's going to get in the way of it and FFXIII-2 over the next week or so, lol. And as of this writing, it has indeed. Oh joy. :/

Previously on Megaman Legends Gaiden...

Last time, Megaman got an Axe a Rolling Cutter and decided to chop down all the trees around him. With the Rolling Cutter in hand, Megaman is now ready to take on the world! Speaking of the world...

epbAg.gif
World

iKyUu.png

Oh. Battlefield. These are always nice because you level up multiple times at the end. lol. They aren't very hard either.

So now we head to the Sand Temple.
epbAg.gif
Shrine of Light
Open the treasure chest for our FREE ELIX--…

7kS56.png

Wat. Suddenly, we’re alerted to something via a music cue!

CAtXz.gif
Rock Theme

S4SzG.png

UDKKV.png
j9IC0.png
afkoJ.png

This cracked me up when I was a kid.

Tristam the Ninja decides that instead of giving you the Elixir for free since you can’t afford his price of 9000 GP, that you’ll work it off by going Treasure Hunting with him. I dunno who’s cooler, Tristam (whose JP name is Lock, lol) or Locke. But we know he’s cooler than Megaman. Just look at his stats.

K8520.png
39aA2.png
QRvzU.png
p4RAV.png

Strong against Fire, Resist Fatal, and Ninja Stars are throw weapons (strong against flying) and can inflict Poison and Paralyze on enemies.

Why is everyone better than Megaman? :/

Anyway, Tristam and Megaman clear the nearest Battlefield out together (we get a pretty shitty charm worth 1 DEF, btw), and then go to the …

CAtXz.gif
Bone Dungeon

qYMk4.png

I always thought this dungeon was pretty great, but that’s because of the music (and also because it was the first dungeon where you could find Seeds. Seeds give you MP back, but we’re not going to be spamming spells this time).

Halfway through the dungeon, we come to a bombable wall. Tristam decides to show us how to use bombs. That isn’t very ninja-like of him, but at least we can use Bombs the Hyper Bomb now!

RrJpY.png

He also tries to rip us off. Refuse his first offer because it sucks.

bOo7H.png
ohMKn.png

GS1Qa.png
54TAR.png

Bombs are multi-target weapons, and you only have a limited supply of them, maxing out at 99. If there are more enemies on the field, their power will diminish when you use ‘em. You’ll usually use Bombs against ocular enemies or slimes. They have set power and don't grow stronger when Megaman levels up, so they won't be very effective in a lot of future areas. You can also use them on the field to take out fragile walls, much like you would in Zelda. You can restock when you find them in Treasure Chests, or you can buy them (but why would you waste money like that when Treasure Chests replenish themselves).

We also get a few notable chests in this dungeon:

KoGig.png
jWq4n.png
GnL3G.png

sBQnL.png

Seeds are awesome. If you're deep in a dungeon and can't replenish your magic after spamming it, Seeds become your best friend. You'll be able to buy them in Fireburg, but we're not there yet.

76gdC.png

Quake is the Earth Black Magic spell in this game. It targets all enemies on the field, and some will argue that it's the strongest Black Magic spell in the game.

Well, gosh, doesn’t this look unpleasant.

n4EVq.png
Fl4tg.png

Flamerus Rex is one of the "Vile Four". Just think of the Four Fiends in FFIV. He isn't too hard. Just keep your HP up with Potions, and cast Cure on it.

t9zWh.png
DKAA5.png

After the battle, the Crystal of Earth reappears, and Tristam doesn't give a crap.

45LL4.png
AmYyp.png

I always liked the Claw's SFX. Tristam is also good on his word and gives us the Elixir we wanted. And then he leaves. lol.

m6XzM.png

Don't forget to get the Sand Coin. You're gonna need it, otherwise you'd have to trudge through this dungeon again.

pDlQi.png

Everywhere's back to normal! And Kaeli's better.

LdGP8.png
ZPfA6.png
AxqPu.png
LfPsr.png

rVjdZ.png
1rx3H.png

Next time, Megaman has to trudge to the land of ice and snow. The dungeons there are long. Also, we'll get a good look at Focus Tower. The BGM there is pretty great.

Top Bottom