• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Traveling to Tokyo...-age (two week trip) - tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Please expand man, i was thinking of going there for 2 days/1 night, or just going for one full day.

You don't need to go to Yokohama for two days. You can get there from Shinagawa in Tokyo in less than 30 minutes on the train. There isn't that much to do there except for chinatown.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Is radiation still a concern in Tokyo? I've been thinking of going some time next year, but I still have my doubts.Ive been reading some stuff off the net, good and bad, and now I am just wondering if I can get a gaffers's opinion on it.One more thing, is it safe to eat most foods, I've been reading about contamination in some of the food (think it was the beef)

I appologise if this has been mentioned before, I've just read the last few pages of this thread.

So in a nutshell, is Tokyo safe to travel to for a week or two?

Thanks.

I'd say that just the food would be the concern now. And it's kind of hard to avoid food from the areas near Fukushima when you are eating in restaurants and have no idea where the ingredients come from. Just about all foods from those areas will have some level of radiation. The government tells you its safe though if its under a certain amount, if you want to trust them.

decaf

Planning to be in Tokyo for the New Year - anyone have advice on interesting places to go and things to do for New Year's Eve, midnight and New Year's Day?

Zoe

Wow looks neat, do you think they would have issues if you tried cramming a few friends in there too?

Be a neat way to split the costs.

The FAQ says you can fit as many people as you want and can even rent extra beds/cots.

Too bad it's a monthly thing though.

Zyzyxxz

The FAQ says you can fit as many people as you want and can even rent extra beds/cots.

Too bad it's a monthly thing though.

Yeah I wouldn't mind just spending an entire month in Tokyo and taking my time to go through it's nooks and crannies but I doubt I could find friends to do it.

FreeMufasa

I ended up renting a furnished apartment through Space Design so that I would have a full size fridge, burner, etc.

http://www.space-d.co.jp/en/

The cost was about 170 000 Yen for a full 30 days. (About 5600 Yen per night)

That does look awesome. But i'll be on my own for 2 weeks so no go.

I'm just trying to find really cheap accomodation. I'll spend 90% of my time outside so all i'll need is a room with a bed. I should probably look into hostels. But do they have curfews?

Garou

That does look awesome. But i'll be on my own for 2 weeks so no go.

I'm just trying to find really cheap accomodation. I'll spend 90% of my time outside so all i'll need is a room with a bed. I should probably look into hostels. But do they have curfews?

If thats the case, I recommend one of the two Maruchu-hotels:
www.hotelmaruchu.com/pc-e/
www.hotelmaruchu.com/classico/pc-e/

Northern side of Tokyo, so not too far from eg. Akihabara, but a bit longer until Shinjuku/Shibuya. Small rooms with a bed, air conditioner, TV and refrigerator. Free Wi-Fi throughout the house, toilets and places to wash your face/brush your teeth on each floor, Japanese-style bath and coin-showers on ground-floor. No curfew.

FreeMufasa

If thats the case, I recommend one of the two Maruchu-hotels:
www.hotelmaruchu.com/pc-e/
www.hotelmaruchu.com/classico/pc-e/

Northern side of Tokyo, so not too far from eg. Akihabara, but a bit longer until Shinjuku/Shibuya. Small rooms with a bed, air conditioner, TV and refrigerator. Free Wi-Fi throughout the house, toilets and places to wash your face/brush your teeth on each floor, Japanese-style bath and coin-showers on ground-floor. No curfew.

Wow. Thanks a lot for this, i'll probably book here. It'll only cost me about £320 for 2 weeks.

Garou

Wow. Thanks a lot for this, i'll probably book here. It'll only cost me about £320 for 2 weeks.

I have to add that I just noticed that the normal Maruchu actually has a curfew (1am), but the Classico (where I stayed for a week) doesn't. Both are quite close to each other, so the Classico might be a better choice if you care about that.

FreeMufasa

I have to add that I just noticed that the normal Maruchu actually has a curfew (1am), but the Classico (where I stayed for a week) doesn't. Both are quite close to each other, so the Classico might be a better choice if you care about that.

I've been reading up on both for the past few days and I think i'll go with it. Thanks. Can't believe how cheap it is.

jaxword

Looks like I'll be joining the ranks of gaffers visiting Japan this year.

Perhaps a few of the crowd would like to meet up? We can exchange rare products we can't get back here.

jaxword

When are you planning on heading over?

That's the thing I am pondering right now.

I have heard late summer is FAR too hot.

I also want to go when Mt. Fuji is open.

And I Want to get in as many festivals as possible over a 2 week period (I've already traveled to Japan and done the "random exploring" part, traded some rare stuff to other neogaffers) but this time I want more cultural experiences.

Raide

And I Want to get in as many festivals as possible over a 2 week period (I've already traveled to Japan and done the "random exploring" part, traded some rare stuff to other neogaffers) but this time I want more cultural experiences.

Do you want to climb Mt.Fuji or just see it fairly close? Its closed from Later Oct till April/May (I think) but you can go an see it any time, as long as you get a clear day to see it. Its covered in clouds most days.

As for festivals, there is loads all year round but Golden Week has the most but that also happens to be a pretty hellish time to visit. :D Maybe check online for the kinds of festivals you want to see and base it around that.

Early October is just about right for the weather. Still nice and warm but not crazy hot. Or late Spring so you are in-between not too cold and not too hot, plus you get all the flower viewing fun if you time it right. .

Lived here in Okinawa for the last year (moving back to America this week) and I have to say it was one of the greatest experiences I've ever had. I wish I had a chance to go up to Tokyo and go to Akihabara but I'm sure I'll get there sometime in my life.

jaxword

Do you want to climb Mt.Fuji or just see it fairly close? Its closed from Later Oct till April/May (I think) but you can go an see it any time, as long as you get a clear day to see it. Its covered in clouds most days.

As for festivals, there is loads all year round but Golden Week has the most but that also happens to be a pretty hellish time to visit. :D Maybe check online for the kinds of festivals you want to see and base it around that.

Early October is just about right for the weather. Still nice and warm but not crazy hot. Or late Spring so you are in-between not too cold and not too hot, plus you get all the flower viewing fun if you time it right. .

Thanks for the info!

I want to climb it. So it sounds like I have to really be careful with the timing. What's so hellish about Holden week?

October, sadly, will not work. I have to get back to class by then. So my window is about April to August, really.

Raide

Thanks for the info!

I want to climb it. So it sounds like I have to really be careful with the timing. What's so hellish about Holden week?

October, sadly, will not work. I have to get back to class by then. So my window is about April to August, really.

Golden Week is a week of different festivals, which usually means important things like banks etc end up being closed. Thats ok if you have enough cash or know someone that can help out. If you run out of money during that time, it can mean major headaches, so plan ahead if you fancy hitting that week. Also costs of flights will be more expensive at that time. :D

Fuji can be very strange when it comes to weather, hence being closed over the winter, since it can get brutal up there. From Spring onwards you can climb it but expect lots of people to be doing the same thing at peak time. Most don't climb it that much, so if you intend to get to the summit, only a few will make it.

April to August? Hrmm...How long did you plan on visiting for?

jaxword

Golden Week is a week of different festivals, which usually means important things like banks etc end up being closed. Thats ok if you have enough cash or know someone that can help out. If you run out of money during that time, it can mean major headaches, so plan ahead if you fancy hitting that week. Also costs of flights will be more expensive at that time. :D

Fuji can be very strange when it comes to weather, hence being closed over the winter, since it can get brutal up there. From Spring onwards you can climb it but expect lots of people to be doing the same thing at peak time. Most don't climb it that much, so if you intend to get to the summit, only a few will make it.

April to August? Hrmm...How long did you plan on visiting for?

I think I'd probably go for about 2 weeks. I think Fuji is going to be my focus, if few can make it, then oh I definitely want to be one who can!

Daft_Cat

I ended up renting a furnished apartment through Space Design so that I would have a full size fridge, burner, etc.

http://www.space-d.co.jp/en/

The cost was about 170 000 Yen for a full 30 days. (About 5600 Yen per night)

Wow. Thanks. Bookmarking this for when I eventually make my way down to Tokyo for the first time. I fly free as long as I'm a full time student (dad's at an airline), so I'll be going down sometime in the next couple years before I finish grad school. I was looking to stay for around a month as well, so this is awesome.

Raide

I think I'd probably go for about 2 weeks. I think Fuji is going to be my focus, if few can make it, then oh I definitely want to be one who can!

If you want to climb it then, late July - August is your best bet, since that happens to be the season for climbing Mt.Fuji. :D There are a few stops as you head up the mountain and you can stay overnight if you fancy getting up early to catch the sun-rise.

Check out http://www.japan-guide.com/event/ and put in the dates. It will list what kind of stuff is on during that time. August might be your best bet but then you would have to travel around to catch the various festivals etc, since there is not much happening in central Tokyo.

Avoid June-mid July, since that happens to be rainy season. :D

Wow. Thanks. Bookmarking this for when I eventually make my way down to Tokyo for the first time. I fly free as long as I'm a full time student (dad's at an airline), so I'll be going down sometime in the next couple years before I finish grad school. I was looking to stay for around a month as well, so this is awesome.

Depending on your needs, Sakura House is pretty good and reasonable too. Mainly designed for foreigners visiting Japan. They do shared houses and private apartments if you want that.

Gacha-pin

You mean Maturi (祭り, Japanese festivals)? Then July - August is the best. We have various festivals called Natu-Matsri (夏祭り) during the months across Japan. I don't think there are much festivals in the golden week period. But the climate in May is definetely better than humid summer.

Sumidor

Kind of a random question... I'll be going to Japan in April, and was wondering if anyone knows how expensive the drinks are, whiskey in particular. I plan on trying as much Japanese whisky as I can, since it's hard to get any real variety here in the US.

P.S. I know it's a very broad question, since it depends on where I go, what I order and all that. For example, how much would a dram of Yamazaki 12 cost?

FreeMufasa

What would be the cheapest and most effecient way to use the underground/trains? I plan to dart all over Tokyo on my 2 weeks. I remember reading up about some passes that give you all access over a period of time.

Also what would be the best way to exchange my money (UK)? From what i've read, most people are saying to just withdraw from a cash point in Tokyo as you're only charged a small fee.

Thanks for reading.

isny

napkin dispenser
What would be the cheapest and most effecient way to use the underground/trains? I plan to dart all over Tokyo on my 2 weeks. I remember reading up about some passes that give you all access over a period of time.

Also what would be the best way to exchange my money (UK)? From what i've read, most people are saying to just withdraw from a cash point in Tokyo as you're only charged a small fee.

Thanks for reading.

Personally, I found the exchange rate over there to be terrible compared to what I paid at a local foreign exchange counter (in Canada). Using my credit card also seemed to be a good way to avoid getting rooked on the high exchange fees most places there charge.

Suica+Pasmo cards are the way to get around. Buy the Suica+NEX ticket which will get you to and from the airport, and will give you a RFID card good for the trains/busses/etc. which you can then reload at any station (The menus have an English option, but you'll get used to doing it in Japanese after awhile anyways)

I'll be going to Tokyo with my wife and kids near 2nd week of April for cherry blossom for about 5 days.

So far, our travel plans are: -

- Ueno park
- Disneyland
- Asakusa
- Odaiba
- Harajuku
- Akihabara

Not going to Roppongi....since I'm not interested in clubbing. Any places of interest at night? Or perhaps, some cherry blossom park at night?

I'm interested in good mom & pop food shops. Anything to recommend?

This is my first trip to Japan. Help me Tokyo-GAF!!

FreeMufasa

Personally, I found the exchange rate over there to be terrible compared to what I paid at a local foreign exchange counter (in Canada). Using my credit card also seemed to be a good way to avoid getting rooked on the high exchange fees most places there charge.

Suica+Pasmo cards are the way to get around. Buy the Suica+NEX ticket which will get you to and from the airport, and will give you a RFID card good for the trains/busses/etc. which you can then reload at any station (The menus have an English option, but you'll get used to doing it in Japanese after awhile anyways)

Thanks for the info.

I leave on March 20th for 13 days. Really excited for this!

Sumidor

Kind of a random question... I'll be going to Japan in April, and was wondering if anyone knows how expensive the drinks are, whiskey in particular. I plan on trying as much Japanese whisky as I can, since it's hard to get any real variety here in the US.

P.S. I know it's a very broad question, since it depends on where I go, what I order and all that. For example, how much would a dram of Yamazaki 12 cost?

Anyone? I'm leaving this Thursday, and would love to get some kind of idea.

I'll mostly be in Tokyo if that helps.

isny

napkin dispenser

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Anyone? I'm leaving this Thursday, and would love to get some kind of idea.

I'll mostly be in Tokyo if that helps.

All spirits/liquor are cheaper by a good margin, all beer is way more expensive.

I got a standard bottle of Nikka from the barrel a couple months ago for about 1800 yen, worth it!

Zoe

Has anyone taken a side trip to Okinawa from Tokyo?

From what I've seen, it's practically twice the price to go there for just a couple of days rather than just spend the whole trip there :\

From what I've seen, it's practically twice the price to go there for just a couple of days rather than just spend the whole trip there :\

Okinawa doesn't sound like a sidetrip, seeing how you have to fly there.

When my wife and I were on our honeymoon in 2006, we ran into a couple on Miyajima who were thinking of going to Okinawa. They asked "how long is it to get there on the train?" .... huh.

Steelrain

I was planning to go this summer but..Thailand flights were way cheaper from Tokyo. Oh well maybe i'll get there next year.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
finally going back to Tokyo next weekend after a long 10 year break. I'm actually taking the dreamliner plane from boston straight to tokyo no stops no layovers, 13hrs...:( Is there any pre-paid phones or sim cards i can use in my iphone while i am there?

Zoe

Okinawa doesn't sound like a sidetrip, seeing how you have to fly there.

When my wife and I were on our honeymoon in 2006, we ran into a couple on Miyajima who were thinking of going to Okinawa. They asked "how long is it to get there on the train?" .... huh.

Well looking at travel sites now, it's not twice the price, but it's still considerably more expensive even though the order of the flights is the same -_-

The idea is to go to Okinawa for a few days and then spend the remainder in Tokyo or vice versa. The Okinawa part is just for a specific event, so I don't know if we'd actually want to spend the entire trip there.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

The prices of all those domestic flights are terribad. Going to Korea is much cheaper then traveling to Hokkaido/Okinawa...

Wife and I started talking about our next Japan trip. Probably won't be until 2014, but we're thinking Tokyo, Osaka and Hakone this time around.

2006: Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima, Miyajima
2010: Tokyo, Kamakura, Yokohama, Enoshima, Nikko
2014: Tokyo, Osaka, Hakone

isny

napkin dispenser
finally going back to Tokyo next weekend after a long 10 year break. I'm actually taking the dreamliner plane from boston straight to tokyo no stops no layovers, 13hrs...:( Is there any pre-paid phones or sim cards i can use in my iphone while i am there?

Yes. Softbank has downtown Tokyo locations where they can rent you a Sim card. They have English reps as well that will help you set up your rental.

http://mb.softbank.jp/en/start/contents/shop.html

Sumidor

Been in Japan for a few days now. I just wanted to say, even if you dont know the language, it's still pretty easy to get around. I do have the fall back of having a lot of Japanese friends that have been showing me around also though. But a few nights I've gotten stupid drunk and wandered off alone and made it safely from kashiwa back to my hotel in narita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom