• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Gaf. Nintendo announce that the Wii U is now called the Nintendo Infinite because it has infinite possibilities n' shit. At E3 they announce the 'From One to Infinity' tag line and announce the Wii U lineup in this order.

1| Miyamoto new IP
2| Mirror's Edge 2
3| Half Life 3
4| Mother IV
5| GTA V
6| Resident Evil 6
7| FFVII HD
8| Mario Kart 8
9| Call of Duty 9
10| Metroid 10
∞| Bioshock Infinite

What do you do?
Locate smelling salts and hold the bottle in my hand to save time later.

Kokonoe

Banned
Ok Gaf. Nintendo announce that the Wii U is now called the Nintendo Infinite because it has infinite possibilities n' shit. At E3 they announce the 'From One to Infinity' tag line and announce the Wii U lineup in this order.

1| Miyamoto new IP
2| Mirror's Edge 2
3| Half Life 3
4| Mother IV
5| GTA V
6| Resident Evil 6
7| FFVII HD
8| Mario Kart 8
9| Call of Duty 9
10| Metroid 10
∞| Bioshock Infinite

What do you do?

I wait to find out if they have a standard controller to go with most of those titles.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

1| Miyamoto new IP
2| Mirror's Edge 2
3| Half Life 3
4| Mother IV
5| GTA V
6| Resident Evil 6
7| FFVII HD
8| Mario Kart 8
9| Call of Duty 9
10| Metroid 10
∞| Bioshock Infinite

What do you do?
Considering the series has twelve entries so far (excluding Galactic Pinball - Samus Mini Game), wouldn't it be Metroid 13? Not that it would actually be named that, the actual title would probably be Metroid Dread. As for the list, I would be very content with these titles. Especially because of Half-Life 3.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

1| Miyamoto new IP
2| Mirror's Edge 2
3| Half Life 3
4| Mother IV
5| GTA V
6| Resident Evil 6
7| FFVII HD
8| Mario Kart 8
9| Call of Duty 9
10| Metroid 10
∞| Bioshock Infinite

What do you do?

Create a Wii U sticker to place over the Nintendo Infinite logo.

I would actually make what's on the controller look different than what is on the screen. I think if you look at the Wii OS and then the 3DS OS you can see the evolution of the channels into what's seen on the 3DS. I also think you can look at the 3DS and how the main options and picking this/that is all done on the one screen, and the large screen is just a highlight of what's selected.

It's like a combination of the Wii OS's main interface and then what you get when you select something on the Wii OS before launching it fully. I think if you went with some kind of combination of that, IE an evolution of the 3DS OS, you'll be much closer to what we'll see with the Wii-U OS. I'm not expecting messages to pop up that way either, I think it'll be some kind of highlight or other accent to make people realize to go into their inbox to see messages.

Nibel

Now you know what would be a cool idea: to place the icons and pages of the main OS in a 3D spherical space that you can navigate by moving around the PAD (of course optional) and simply use a stick to navigate through on the TV.
So you could've movies above you, Browsing to your left etc. I would love something like that.

Do you mean kinda like this?

77kjd.png

Totally forgot about that feature. But I think it would feel very gimmick-like when this is used for the homescreen. They should create some kind of horror game with that idea of yours :)

I would actually make what's on the controller look different than what is on the screen. I think if you look at the Wii OS and then the 3DS OS you can see the evolution of the channels into what's seen on the 3DS. I also think you can look at the 3DS and how the main options and picking this/that is all done on the one screen, and the large screen is just a highlight of what's selected.

Even better, just let the player customize both screens. Won't happen, but that's the best option.

snesfreak

Banned
Yes because all of them would be utterly unplayable with the current controller.
I for one don't believe anything said about that ugly looking thing.
It's probably uncomfortable as fuck and everyone saying otherwise is lying cause they're all being paid by Nintendo.

jacksrb

Nice work Nibel!

These mockups (and the box art mocks) are way more interesting than the circular dialog without new news (not that I don't read all of it).

I see the direction you are heading, that works a little more like folders or the eShop with the highlighted sections containing one or many things. That would be awesome to be able to group SNES games together, etc. or by something like genre.

Do you mean kinda like this?

77kjd.png

Totally forgot about that feature. But I think it would feel very gimmick-like when this is used for the homescreen. They should create some kind of horror game with that idea of yours :)

Pretty much, but with a simulated Virtual Lobby or Room. Hell this would be a great way to start off an adventure game. Point and Click Adventures could really be done in an amazing way on this console. Horror games like Fatal Frame would probably cause several heart attacks as well^^

With the new focus on downloadable titles, smaller projects and dedicated experiments using this feature could really hit turn out amazing.

Rösti;35198553 said:
Considering the series has twelve entries so far (excluding Galactic Pinball - Samus Mini Game), wouldn't it be Metroid 13? Not that it would actually be named that, the actual title would probably be Metroid Dread. As for the list, I would be very content with these titles. Especially because of Half-Life 3.

For Story telling entries I'm getting 9, in rough when they happen order.

Metroid/Metroid Zero Mission (same events)
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime II Echos
Metroid Prime III Corruption
Metroid II The Return of Samus
Super Metroid AKA Metroid III
Metroid Other M
Metroid Fusion

I wouldn't count Zero Mission as a separate entry since it's a remake with extended story details of the first game. Trilogy is just a collection of the Metroid Prime games, so I wouldn't count that. Then that leaves is Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt, which was just a demo of what was doable. It contained no story or anything else. Plus like you said not counting the Pinball game. I don't think I'm forgetting any games either.

*edit fixed an order problem*

1| Miyamoto new IP
2| Mirror's Edge 2
3| Half Life 3
4| Mother IV
5| GTA V
6| Resident Evil 6
7| FFVII HD
8| Mario Kart 8
9| Call of Duty 9
10| Metroid 10
∞| Bioshock Infinite

What do you do?

Get on GAF and create thread titled 'Waiting for redesign'.

1| Miyamoto new IP
2| Mirror's Edge 2
3| Half Life 3
4| Mother IV
5| GTA V
6| Resident Evil 6
7| FFVII HD
8| Mario Kart 8
9| Call of Duty 9
10| Metroid 10
∞| Bioshock Infinite

What do you do?

I'd rant a little and hope for better announcements at Nintendo Fall Conference. :D I don't have any desire for Call of Duty or the further destruction of the Resident Evil series (and lets face it, Multiplats in general won't take too much advantage of the WiiUs features, probably not even of the Wiimote), but I certainly need my Retro-, Monster-, and Monolith games in HD asap, lol. New EAD Tokyo game wouldn't be too bad either alongside Pikmin 3 *dreams*.

Anth0ny

It's okay everyone. We have Markman. He'll hook GAF up with the official Madcatz Wii U Gamecube controller.

68066961_o.jpg

It'll look like that, but have a screen in the middle.

All will be well.

I'd rant a little and hope for better announcements at Nintendo Fall Conference. :D I don't have any desire for Call of Duty or the further destruction of the Resident Evil series, but I certainly need my Retro-, Monster-, and Monolith games in HD asap, lol. New EAD Tokyo game wouldn't be too bad either alongside Pikmin 3 *dreams*.
Better announcements? Are you serious? Please tell me you're kidding.

It's okay everyone. We have Markman. He'll hook GAF up with the official Madcatz Wii U Gamecube controller.

68066961_o.jpg

All will be well.
Why does that exist?

effzee

Of all the the fantasy wishes on that list, a new Myamoto IP is the the least likely.

I think from Nintendo first party we should expect 2-3 titles, one of which being Pikmin 3 and the other a brand new 3D Mario game hopefully.

royalan

1| Miyamoto new IP
2| Mirror's Edge 2
3| Half Life 3
4| Mother IV
5| GTA V
6| Resident Evil 6
7| FFVII HD
8| Mario Kart 8
9| Call of Duty 9
10| Metroid 10
∞| Bioshock Infinite

What do you do?

Don't fucking do this to me, man. ;_;

Although now that I think about it, Mirror's Edge is a game that I imagine could be really awesome using the upad as a glorified map screen. Imagine nothing on the tv screen but the city in all its HUD-less glory, meanwhile the upad screen has a google maps interface feeding you information on where enemies are and where you're located in relation to the rendezvous point.

effzee

If you are looking for some top 3rd party support to help the console out right from the start, you better hope some of the most mainstream games are on the list. You might not purchase COD but everyone else will be interested.

Azure J

68066961_o.jpg

All will be well.

You just reminded me, I hope there'll be some good fight stick love coming Wii U's way. I'm hesitant to invest in anything for current gen consoles, even though I'm dying to level my Marvel game up. :lol

Kokonoe

Banned
Yes because all of them would be utterly unplayable with the current controller.
No, but it would be less enjoyable for me, and circlepads aren't nearly as decent as analog sticks. Not to mention how far the A button is.
Jesus fucking christ..seriously?
I'm quite serious. I've already mentioned before that this controller should be optional, and that they should make a revamped Gamecube controller, or revamped Classic Controller Pro.

Unlike you, i'm rather tired of using stuff that does little to improve what I easily could do on a normal controller. Not to mention this controller most likely is going to be more expensive.

It has a screen, therefore it sucks. Even though it has the same amount of buttons and sticks as anyother contoller it is not normal.
It actually does not have the same amount of buttons, it's missing L3/R3, and you hardly point out the issues with the controller.
Not everyone wants to use a touchscreen, is that so bad?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
We haven't had any or at least very few Xenias-esque teasers/mockups, right? In a way, the road to E3 2006 was more exciting than what we currently have as there at least was fake screenshots from various games. Prior to the reveal of Red Steel in the May 2006 issue of Game Informer, there was only that Metroid "tech demo" from E3 2005 and the playable demo of Metroid Prime 2: (Dark) Echoes at Tokyo Game Show 2005 shown I believe. And Nintendo's ninjas are seemingly running a tight shift this time around, so I wonder if any gameplay footage from any game will surface before E3. And then I mean gameplay footage of something other than very early alpha assets.

4331.jpg

Conor 419

Banned
Little?

Mate, the possibilities are magnificent with this thing. Simple things such as removing the HUD is excellent for immersive storytelling. The touch screen opens better control schemes for all games, whilst also giving much more flexibility to console MMO's and RTS's. On top of that the multiplayer capabilities with the thing will no doubt be ingenious.

I can't wait.

Pappasman

68066961_o.jpg

All will be well.

Madcatz really should make a GC style controller for smash 4. That would be amazing.

Kokonoe

Banned
Little?

Mate, the possibilities are magnificent with this thing. Simple things such as removing the HUD is excellent for immersive storytelling. The touch screen opens better control schemes for all games, whilst also giving much more flexibility to console MMO's and RTS's. On top of that the multiplayer capabilities with the thing will no doubt be ingenious.

I can't wait.

That sounds fine, but you have to remember this isn't the DS, and the controller isn't going to be right in front of your face.

All that other stuff is the reason why the controller should be optional. I know you can use Wiimotes/Classic Controller Pro's on this system(At least that's what I heard), but at the end of the day the CCP is still a 20 dollar controller that's missing L3/R3 and triggers.

I'm quite serious. I've already mentioned before that this controller should be optional, and that they should make a revamped Gamecube controller, or revamped Classic Controller Pro.

Unlike you, i'm rather tired of using stuff that does little to improve what I easily could do on a normal controller. Not to mention this controller most likely is going to be more expensive.

Okay, now I know you're trolling.

TunaLover

Game Idea: Face Planet

The person with the upad fight against other people to defend his/her planet, the planet will be the guy face renderized in a spherical surface.

People with Wiimotes must destroy this "face-planet" in order to score points, the face-planet is displayed on TV and it will change depending on user face expresions.

Somnid

It's always interesting to me how this culture of hatred popped up over controllers that aren't Dual Shock-based. It even goes so far that these people will judge and despise controllers not only before they touch them but before they even see them (see Xbox tablet controller thread.)

Kokonoe

Banned
Okay, now I know you're trolling.

Difference of opinion is trolling?

It's always interesting to me how this culture of hatred popped up over controllers that aren't Dual Shock-based. It even goes so far that these people will judge and despise controllers not only before they touch them but before they even see them (see Xbox tablet controller thread.)

The issue I have with your post is you're assuming I haven't done my research on this controller. Because someone has a different opinion, doesn't mean they're a part of the masses.
I'm saying that for those who don't want to use a touch screen, it's a rather useless addition to them.

Nibel

So I thought about a 3DS-style Wii-U OS and this is what I came up with (last mock-up for today, don't fear!):

wiiu-oslecf9.png

The basic idea is that you select your channel on the controller. Notice the two dots on the bottom? Yeah, they mean than there are currently two homescreens and that the first is selected (just like on iOS).

If you choose a channel with the stick or with your finger, it will get a blue frame and the logo of the game will show up on the screen. You get information about how many coins you collected, when you've played the last time and if any friends are playing this.

In this case, there are friends who are playing this. If you press the NIN-logo on your controller, it should directly link you to a list of friends who are playing the selected game. Otherwise this button opens up the NIN menu with more options, friendslist, chats, video chat, and so on.
Hope you like it, GAF!

royalan

I think the hate in that thread stems from the idea that the 720 controller won't be based on the current 360 controller design, not the Dual Shock. I don't even think Playstation fans like the Dual Shock these days...

So I thought about a 3DS-style Wii-U OS and this is what I came up with (last mock-up for today, don't fear!):

wiiu-oslecf9.png

The basic idea is that you select your channel on the controller. Notice the two dots on the bottom? Yeah, they mean than there are currently two homescreens and that the first is selected (just like on iOS).

If you choose a channel with the stick or with your finger, it will get a blue frame and the logo of the game will show up on the screen. You get information about how many coins you collected, when you've played the last time and if any friends are playing this.

In this case, there are friends who are playing this. If you press the NIN-logo on your controller, it should directly link you to a list of friends who are playing the selected game. Otherwise this button opens up the NIN menu with more options, friendslist, chats, video chat, and so on.
Hope you like it, GAF!

I really like that title screen...

Although I still think there needs to be more contrast between the text and the background. I had to squint to make out that it read "You have been added to GAF-COM".

Somnid

The issue I have with your post is you're assuming I haven't done my research on this controller. Because someone has a different opinion, doesn't mean they're a part of the masses.
I'm saying that for those who don't want to use a touch screen, it's a rather useless addition to them.

You have no research to do, you've seen images and read reports (which are overwhelming positive unless you cherry picked). I'm not concerned with whatever you say your opinion is, only how you came to it.

Anth0ny

That's a really nice mockup.

My only problem is you should be able to start a game without the use of the tablet controller. Lets say the standard controller for Smash Bros becomes the classic controller. Would I need the tablet controller handy in order to start the game? Cause that shit was really annoying with Brawl/having to start the game with a wii remote.

I'm sure Nintendo doesn't give a fuck, though. It'll probably resemble that mock up, lol.

Mokka

Neo Member
Difference of opinion is trolling?

You want a different "standard" controller that has L3, R3 buttons but no screen in the middle and your argument is that these buttons are less useless than a touchscreen? Sorry...even if didn't hate this analogue stick button overload I'd still say your argument is pretty flawed.

Kokonoe

Banned
You have no research to do, you've seen images and read reports (which are overwhelming positive unless you cherry picked).
There have been videos of people using the controller as well. And you can see what the controller is with your own eyes, I don't like the layout, I don't wish to use a touchscreen while i'm on a console, i'd prefer to have analog sticks, and a layout that doesn't have to feel like a new experience when I play each game.

The games themselves should have the innovation, the controller shouldn't have to.

I dislike how large the controller is, and you also have to note that only 2 can be used at the same time. A touchscreen isn't a replacement for buttons, it's another option, and that option isn't something I prefer.

I'm not concerned with whatever you say your opinion is, only how you came to it.
My opinion came from buying Nintendo consoles from the NES, all the way to the Nintendo Wii in which I eventually became tired of having to use all types of things I consider gimmicks to get the job done. It was only until the Wii that I felt I needed to get another console from that generation.

It's more of all the time I spent on the Wii, and utilizing the Kinect is what made me see this.

Nibel

That's a really nice mockup.

My only problem is you should be able to start a game without the use of the tablet controller. Lets say the standard controller for Smash Bros becomes the classic controller. Would I need the tablet controller handy in order to start the game? Cause that shit was really annoying with Brawl/having to start the game with a wii remote.

I'm sure Nintendo doesn't give a fuck, though. It'll probably resemble that mock up, lol.

One solution would be my first OS mockup which basically would wirk without a tablet: plug in the classic controller and select the drive channel - that's the solution for playing without the tablet.

The solution for playing without TV is also mock-up 1 since all essential info is given and the channels could be selected wiith your finger.

The third possibility is playing with both TV and tablet - mock-up 2 is the solution.

I'm working on a solution for only using the TV and the balance board, lol

Conor 419

Banned

wiiu-oslecf9.png

Hope you like it, GAF!

Love the evolution of these ideas.

I think the message system in the friends lists should be a crossover between iPhone texting and Pictochat, in which it saves the entire conversation, but also lets you write messages in real time. Also, the ability to create groups and have chat logs between friends would be really cool. It should also be always available from the controller, whether in game or not.

Lastly, I'm excited about publishers allowing written chat within online games. Written text is a communicative method that everyone can get involved in quite quickly, it'd be amazing to use it to co-ordinate strategies in games, whilst also being able to do other things like setting waypoints, warning markers (Sniper here) and other stuff.

The drawbacks would be that it'd also revolutionise trash talking, and no doubts a lot of in game chats would just be dicks galore :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom