• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syndicate |OT|

Wow, milestones 13&14 are what this game should've been all along. Really enjoying these more open arenas, I feel like they give you more space to tie tactical shooting with augmented slomo & breaches. When it's really clicking--when you're staying mobile and chaining stuff together--it reminds me of Crysis 1's gunplay.

But more insane.

Only borderline?

By the way just solo'd Atlantic Accelerator. Holy shit that boss fight against 4 agents was intense.

i mentioned that feat earlier in the thread..was NOT prepared for that, but it only took me 3 retries to kill them!

That's crazy. How did you manage to take them down?

"gotta keep'em separated" you can kite an agent away from the pack and pick them off one at a time..i learned to anticipate the flood of grunts that appear out of seemingly nowhere after each one dies.

Bloom? We don't want no stinking BLOOM or at least a reduction of it...

one of these apparently works in your cfg...
C:\Users\<your acc>\Documents\Syndicate\environment.cfg

XR_FLARES 0
XR_ZFOG 0
XR_EFFECTMODELS 0

or

XR_FLARES=0
XR_ZFOG=0
XR_EFFECTMODELS=0

I've tried the first version and haven't been blinded yet.

http://donotargue.com/note/syndicate-cfg-maker-on-its-way-bloom-fix-and-enhanced-quality/

BLOOM FIX:
press ctrl+alt+~
enter xr_effectmodels 0
ENHANCED QUALITY:
pressctrl+alt+~
enter xr_adaptivequalitymode 3
enter xr_fxaa 3
enter xr_postaa 3
enter xr_ssao 2
enter xr_ssaogain 0.5
KNOWN ISSUES:
although the heavy bloom will be fixed, the screen will darken when running. I’m trying to resolve this issue and will incorportae it into the upcoming Syndicate CFG maker on release. Enjoy!

Sigh

I'm enjoying the campaign
just freed Lily at Eurocorp HQ

Is it a bit of a disspointment? Yes in the sense that they didn't take a stronger stance on emphasizing the story/world. Having to stop and read every piece of intel (if you are so inclined) is just shitty and obliterates the pacing of the game. I've just been skipping them enitrely. I want to look at this world, not text dammit! ...and crazy small text at that!

That being said,

The gunplay/combat is fucking top-notch and congrats to Starbreeze for making an excellent shooter finally (not just a FP-Adventure). Most satisfying gunplay this gen next to RAGE/Killzone. Visceral, exciting, and highly satisfying.
Also blown away but the techinical merits that Starbreeze acheived here. Really solid performance on PS3 surpisingly.

Been avoiding the thread cause don't wanna be too distracted by opinions before I finished the SP

Haven't even booted up the Coop yet ...can't wait!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
http://donotargue.com/note/syndicate-cfg-maker-on-its-way-bloom-fix-and-enhanced-quality/

BLOOM FIX:
press ctrl+alt+~
enter xr_effectmodels 0
ENHANCED QUALITY:
pressctrl+alt+~
enter xr_fxaa 3
enter xr_postaa 3
enter xr_ssao 2
enter xr_ssaogain 0.5
KNOWN ISSUES:
although the heavy bloom will be fixed, the screen will darken when running. I’m trying to resolve this issue and will incorportae it into the upcoming Syndicate CFG maker on release. Enjoy!

The FOV man! THE FOV! Help us with the fov for christ's sake it's killing me.

frontieruk

BLOOM FIX:
press ctrl+alt+~
enter xr_effectmodels 0
ENHANCED QUALITY:
pressctrl+alt+~
enter xr_fxaa 3
enter xr_postaa 3
enter xr_ssao 2
enter xr_ssaogain 0.5
KNOWN ISSUES:
although the heavy bloom will be fixed, the screen will darken when running. I&#8217;m trying to resolve this issue and will incorportae it into the upcoming Syndicate CFG maker on release. Enjoy!

Loves you boob :)
Could you not tweak the gamma setting to lighten it a bit?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hey, while you are waiting for the FOV fix, take some screens of the fixed bloom so we can see the difference pretty please.

Sure, here as a bunch of screens with the bloom fix - sorry I couldn't do straight side by side comparisons I'm just that lazy :(

syndicate2012-02-2816omkos.png

syndicate2012-02-2816ndjiv.png

syndicate2012-02-2816o6k9b.png

syndicate2012-02-2816q5jfd.png

syndicate2012-02-2815qmjsw.png

syndicate2012-02-2815d4j4t.png

syndicate2012-02-28155ikl5.png

The bloom is definitely more subdued but then we have effects like this that occur when you stare into certain lightsources.

syndicate2012-02-2816vzjmb.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The toned down bloom looks really nice. Removing it completely would kind of ruin the look of the game but toning it down a bit makes it less insane.

That's crazy. How did you manage to take them down?
Just luck I guess, and shields, C2C pulse, and a fully upgraded TAR. Also I have the chips that give me the overshield and the take 20% less damage bonus.

I used C2C/shields while I chipripped the agents so they couldn't be revived.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The subdued bloom looks pretty good and I understand the lack of side-by-side shots, they are a serious pain in the ass to do most of the time.

Tycho from Penny Arcade weighs in on the game:

I was gone when it would have been relevant, but I’ve played through Syndicate. How is it (pretend that you don’t know)? An earlier iteration of myself might have called the single player campaign “retarded.”

In 2012, an era of diplomacy and grace, I might call it concussed. This is more robust, anyway: it describes a state of such profound head trauma that confusion and even unconsciousness are the result. In a time where Deus Ex: Human Revolution did not occupy some portion of our media consciousness, or that the original Syndicate had never existed, this new one would just be dumb. In a time where DE’s sharp script and transhuman themes are still present and actively pulsing, it’s almost unconscionable. Unlockable journal entries and the introduction itself reveal that clever writers were in the vicinity. What happened?

The campaign has a few visionary moments, times where its spartan environments seem elevated to the ideal of Homogenous Corporate Sterility as opposed to simply plain. There are overwhelming fights where your suite of “App” powers flow into one another, and you get a sense of the good game they might have made instead.

The multiplayer invests that loose jumble with a clean matrix of startling, platinum wire. Every weapon, every ability, and your character itself become research trees. Missions generate currencies. The weapons themselves are thoughtful and (generally) pragmatic in their construction, and communicate their weight and power. You’ll be eaten alive if you don’t play together. I loved it in the demo, and it only gets better.

Which of these games came first? They have no business being on the same physical platter; If I were to leave it out on the counter overnight, I expect that in the morning I would see two half-sized discs. Was the single player campaign created as the “ballast” for a Triple A retail release, or was this multiplayer the result of some strange alchemy performed on the existing assets?

Ezel

Neo Member
Sure, here as a bunch of screens with the bloom fix - sorry I couldn't do straight side by side comparisons I'm just that lazy :(

The bloom is definitely more subdued but then we have effects like this that occur when you stare into certain lightsources.
Quick question, how did you force anti-aliasing?

The singleplayer isn't really hooking me like I thought it would but I'm finally going to give the co-op a shot today or tomorrow. Do I need to be invited to GAF's PS3 Syndicate or can I search/join?

Dave1988

The singleplayer isn't really hooking me like I thought it would but I'm finally going to give the co-op a shot today or tomorrow. Do I need to be invited to GAF's PS3 Syndicate or can I search/join?

I'll get you into the syndicate, just send me a Friend request (PSN ID = Dave1988). Joining a syndicate is really weird. The inviter and invitee have to be in the same game for the option to become available. AFAIK you also can't search for Syndicates.

reson8or

Sigh

I'm enjoying the campaign
just freed Lily at Eurocorp HQ

Is it a bit of a disspointment? Yes in the sense that they didn't take a stronger stance on emphasizing the story/world. Having to stop and read every piece of intel (if you are so inclined) is just shitty and obliterates the pacing of the game. I've just been skipping them enitrely. I want to look at this world, not text dammit! ...and crazy small text at that!

That being said,

The gunplay/combat is fucking top-notch and congrats to Starbreeze for making an excellent shooter finally (not just a FP-Adventure). Most satisfying gunplay this gen next to RAGE/Killzone. Visceral, exciting, and highly satisfying.
Also blown away but the techinical merits that Starbreeze acheived here. Really solid performance on PS3 surpisingly.

Been avoiding the thread cause don't wanna be too distracted by opinions before I finished the SP

Haven't even booted up the Coop yet ...can't wait!

I'm on PS3 also, and agree with everything you've said. While I can see how others complaints are valid, I'm having a blast with the game. Want to finish up Single player also before hopping into co-op.

The fact that Starbreeze made another first person game where your character feels like it has weight and exists in the world always makes me smile. I hope Half Life 3 does something similar to immerse you more in the world, it's quite a difference coming from the detached camera views from FPSes like Half-Life and CoD, to "weighty" characters in games like Mirror's Edge, Condemned, Killzone and the Starbreeze games (Riddick, Darkness, Syndicate). I hope we'll see more of the latter in the future.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The co-op in this has hooked me more than any other MP mode in a long time. It accomplishes the rare feat of being able to get more fun as time goes on. The upgrades come quick and are all very tangible, which is nice.

I only wish I didn't keep getting weird freezes when playing with the PS3 GAF Syndicate whenever I get a token, complete a challenge, or finish research. It only happens when I'm with our Syndicate and usually seems to happen when I'm standing in front of a Reactive Armor with Minigun.
KuGsj.gif

Speaking of the PS3 GAF Syndicate, we need more people. There's only 5 of us right now, although Dave1988 probably counts for 10 people since he's so good.

Beat colorado solo..and man..am i glad they don't let enemies spawn infinitely..i just hung back and sniped, and alpha'ed everything..

took 8 tries but i am still having the most fun i've ever had in a single player campaign in my entire life..the odds stacked so high against me adds another layer of euphoria when i get past it..i did a no death solo on the first mission, so i'm improving ..

i have a feeling the last 3 missions are going to be brutal, i don't have either of the best applications since i haven't beaten those missions yet, but they sound like they would help a lot..if i have to resort to playing multi to beat any of the final missions, so be it, i think i've had a good run by my lonesome.

kami_sama

I have seen some players in the co-op with weapon skins other than the gold ones. Anybody knows why?

Also, those in the PC Syndicate, I'm well ahead the second person inside :p Play more!

Dave1988

The co-op in this has hooked me more than any other MP mode in a long time. It accomplishes the rare feat of being able to get more fun as time goes on. The upgrades come quick and are all very tangible, which is nice.

I only wish I didn't keep getting weird freezes when playing with the PS3 GAF Syndicate whenever I get a token, complete a challenge, or finish research. It only happens when I'm with our Syndicate and usually seems to happen when I'm standing in front of a Reactive Armor with Minigun.
KuGsj.gif

Speaking of the PS3 GAF Syndicate, we need more people. There's only 5 of us right now, although Dave1988 probably counts for 10 people since he's so good.

The wierd thing is that after you left, those freezes started to happen to me as well.

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
So is there an established chip rip etiquette? I usually don't care since everyone gets the tokens regardless, but I've heard people yelling at each other for "stealing" the chiprips in pub games.

Also, started running into several invincible enemies last night, either you couldn't breach their armor or you just did no damage once you did breach.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The wierd thing is that after you left, those freezes started to happen to me as well.

They started happening to me a lot more later on too. I'm thinking it was a server side issue. It was even happening on menus. It seemed like any time it was synching profile data to the server it would lock up for a while.

So is there an established chip rip etiquette? I usually don't care since everyone gets the tokens regardless, but I've heard people yelling at each other for "stealing" the chiprips in pub games.

Also, started running into several invincible enemies last night, either you couldn't breach their armor or you just did no damage once you did breach.

My stance is whoever does the most damage/work should get dibs

I typically don't care as I get so much XP healin'/being a good samaritan

Isn't it just 250XP? That's almost neglegiable. Everyone gets the blueprint tokens don't they?

Dave1988

Isn't it just 250XP? That's almost neglegiable. Everyone gets the blueprint tokens don't they?

But the Chiprip animation is awesome :< Anyway, I used to complain about chiprippers untill I realized that everyone gets the same amount of tokens from the rip. Now I just steal their power weapon and let somebody else do the ripping ;p

Need help with the first boss
fucker has the lock-on gun and he seems to take a billion shots with my grenade launcher. Even the ammo bots don't help. Fuck this guy

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Need help with the first boss
fucker has the lock-on gun and he seems to take a billion shots with my grenade launcher. Even the ammo bots don't help. Fuck this guy

Use DART to slow down time to shoot him with the TAR. After you hit him once and he dodges he takes a lot more damage for a little bit. Just repeat until you hit the checkpoint in the middle. He drops the Gaus Gun there.

Tried China..so TENSE.. made it past the shield dudes after much issue, turns out you can shoot their feet! got to protect the UGV and it all fell apart, i can clear the first ambush but the area near the train car is a clusterfrack, too many macers and whatnot gang up on the thing, i need to power up more or this may be where i throw in the towel..

is THAT the last part to protect the UGV or is there more?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Something for RoboPlato and others who may be experiencing this:

http://syndicateforum.com/showthread.php?p=212

This is a bug where the game will freeze for 5 or more seconds whenever it's autosaving. Very annoying. Apperently it's liked to joining a syndicate. No known fix as of yet.

Oh, goddammit. The game has gotten to the point where it's almost unplayable for me now. The freezes even happen in the SP too. Tried deleting my game save and reinstall but it didn't help. I was having an awesome time doing Expert tonight but the freezes basically make me useless at the end since I get a ton of research/challenges/tokens all at the same time. Each time is a five second freeze. I hope there's a fix soon. This is what was supposed to tide me over until ME3. Oh well, I just hope there are a few people in the PS3 Syndicate that play for a while since I'll definitely keep coming back as long as I can actually play.

I guess I could just leave the Syndicate for now and then join once a fix is out.

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
Something for RoboPlato and others who may be experiencing this:

http://syndicateforum.com/showthread.php?p=212

This is a bug where the game will freeze for 5 or more seconds whenever it's autosaving. Very annoying. Apperently it's liked to joining a syndicate. No known fix as of yet.

Oh man! I was wondering if that was just coincidence. Didn't happen at all until I joined the syndicate, but since I joined it happens every damn time I play. Pretty infuriating I must say, along with the usual "did anyone actually test this damn game?"

Every time it autosaves, we get application tokens, weapon tokens, gain a level, complete a challenge, finish research, or complete a level, it's like I'm playing the "will I be dead when this unfreezes?" lottery

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
Tried China..so TENSE.. made it past the shield dudes after much issue, turns out you can shoot their feet! got to protect the UGV and it all fell apart, i can clear the first ambush but the area near the train car is a clusterfrack, too many macers and whatnot gang up on the thing, i need to power up more or this may be where i throw in the towel..

is THAT the last part to protect the UGV or is there more?

I want to say there's only one more part, you kill a reactive and a liquid(?) armor guy and a bunch of grunts. Which has always seemed much easier to me than the part you're stuck on(partially because you don't have to protect anything anymore).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm going to try leaving the Syndicate and I'll see what happens. Most of you guys are on my friend list already so I'll still be able to play with you. Will report back in a bit.

Top Bottom