• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell 6 Explores One Of Series Root Themes, Has All The Action Flick Elements

Haunted

Conviction wasn't even that bad.

But I'm not super huge on stealth games, so it going a more action-y route was fine. I always preferred Hitman's social stealth over the mechanical MGS cones or Splinter Cell darkness mechanics.

More open/freeform options like Thief and Riddick are fine as well, though.

The last true Splinter Cell game was Double Agent.

That had some of the best levels in any game, like that Shanghai one and the cruise ship.

That game had some small bugs (such as when you tried backing out of a gameplay based menu using esc on the PC version, the game would look fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked), but seriously I don't know why people gave that game shit. I loved it. It was my favourite Splinter Cell and the first one that had a story that I gave a damn about.

-viper-

Banned
For some reason no media, or at least rarely, likes to let their sequel numbers get too high.

Like there wasnt a Rambo 7, 8, and 9. There was a shitton of Harry Potter movies but they werent called like Harry Potter 8.

Heck even the iPad switched, it's not iPad 3 it's just iPad.

I guess high sequel numbers are just the box office kiss of death. People relate them to flogging a dead horse or something.

And it wasn't Mortal Kombat 9 just Mortal Kombat. The list goes on and on.

What about Final Fantasy?

rvy

Banned
I would actually prefer a new game with Conviction's gameplay, or, at least, a mix between Conviction and Chaos Theory. It fills the void of a Bourne game very nicely.

Feindflug

Deniable Ops was better than the Single Player. By far. It still wasn't nearly as good as CT, but at least it went the right direction and allowed for more improvised actions and clever use of environments.

It also shows how you can fuse Action with STealth without compromising too much.

Yep, the co-op missions were in fact pretty good and much better than the mediocre campaign which focused to much in action in places and lacked in challenge (even in Realistic difficulty)...if they can expand the concept of the co-op missions it could be a good game.

It's pretty sad though that stealth games nowadays focus on action instead of improving their controls/mechanics, level design and especially enemy AI...also hopefully they updated a good deal the old ass UE2.5 that Conviction used.

Kinyou

Roots?

Is she talking about the fifth freedom?

fifthroe78.jpg

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Please have spies vs mercs return. That's all I want. I'd even take an xbla & PSN port of chaos theory's multiplayer if it comes to that

Fixed.. I don't want far away hackng & pussy ass heartbeat monitors

I want Spy traps, mines with lasers, ammo backpacks, 3 different weapons for merc.... Basicly all of Chaos Theory MP

soultron

Banned
Fixed.. I don't want far away hackng & pussy ass heartbeat monitors

I want Spy traps, mines with lasers, ammo backpacks, 3 different weapons for merc.... Basicly all of Chaos Theory MP

I was showing an MMO-focused friend the MP from CT+DA the other day and he was blown away. I had so much fun just explaining it to him.

kitanii

Banned
A multiplayer component that's not dumbed down in the visual and performance department would be nice. Getting pretty tired of being forced to play with bad performance just because my coop partner doesn't have a decent enough computer.

What else? Get rid of the black and white stealth indicator. The purpose of it is obvious, but it ruins the possibilities of appreciating the visuals. Not to mention that it's hard to see anything at all since it went black and white every time you stepped into a black spot.

I like how he didn't specify that that root theme is "stealth." Because obviously that isn't what he's talking about.

Chaos Theory was as good as it got. I suspect that will remain true. I had no interest in Conviction, and I'm sure I'll have no interest in whatever monstrosity they're creating now.

Bring back Amon Tobin please!!!!

That would be great wouldn't it? But it wouldn't matter much if the game itself weren't as brilliant as CT.

Ivan 3414

Conviction is a good game IMO. It added a lot of interesting mechanics that works well for the loud player, but didn't give too many mechanics for the stealth player. Not being able to pick up knocked out enemies, no way to kill a light without a switch stealthily, and having nearly every weapon reveal your position upon use makes stealth near impossible(and not very fun) on too many levels.

I'd like the next game to play like Conviction with all the available stealth options of Chaos Theory. Make the game less of a shootout and more of a survival game, I guess.

Derrick01

Banned
Just what splinter cell was missing, more action elements! Ugh.

Please let the series die with dignity Ubi. If you have to make some dumbed down bro game like conviction just make a new IP.

ss_lemonade

>root of the series
>action flick

Pick one...

everything after 3 was god awful
The Xbox version of Double Agent was a different game compared to the 360 iteration. It was more like Chaos Theory and I heard it was pretty good.

I do wonder how the "Series' Root Themes" and "Has All the Action Flick Elements" even make sense together though.

soultron

Banned
Just what splinter cell was missing, more action elements! Ugh.

Please let the series die with dignity Ubi. If you have to make some dumbed down bro game like conviction just make a new IP.

The series isn't going anywhere, AFAIK. There's a 5-year plan for the franchise starting with SC6, which has already been in development for 1.5 years.

Stat!

Please keep it like Conviction. Conviction was a lot of fun. Nothing was more satisfying that being a predator while being stealthy. Taking out 6 guys in 5 seconds was absolutely awesome. And I loved the co-op stuff in Conviction too.

Keep it like Conviction Ubi. That was a great reboot from a stale Double Agent.

soultron

Banned
Please keep it like Conviction. Conviction was a lot of fun. Nothing was more satisfying that being a predator while being stealthy. Taking out 6 guys in 5 seconds was absolutely awesome. And I loved the co-op stuff in Conviction too.

Keep it like Conviction Ubi. That was a great reboot from a stale Double Agent.

I like your enthusiasm (I really enjoyed SCC too!) but I feel sorry for you if you're not trolling with a post like that. You're about to be torn to shreds by CT/DA fans.

Stat!

I like your enthusiasm (I really enjoyed SCC too!) but I feel sorry for you if you're not trolling with a post like that. You're about to be torn to shreds by CT/DA fans.

I'm not. CT was fun. But you can't tell me that Double Agent wasn't a repetitive, awfully linear, mess. DA (aside from it's MP) wasn't fun. I felt like it never came down to skill in DA - just whether or not I figured out the one correct path.

Conviction was my favourite in the franchise. I loved the predator stealth where you can hide in the shadows, take out 5 guys, and no one's the wiser.

Please don't hurt me people. Personal opinion. I loved the co-op stuff too and taking out rooms of people together.

I really hope Retribution is not the final title. How horribly generic.

What happened to cool titles like Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory?

Conviction was a solid game, it was just a terrible follow up to its predecessors, especially Chaos Theory which IMO is one of the best stealth games ever made.

An alternate view is Conviction is a fucking horrible game. Here's why:
- lack of stealth and the dudebro influence;
- a ridiculously out-of-place level that was padding an already ridiculously short game;
- amongst the worst AI this generation;
- horrible character models on an engine way past its prime ;
- proliferation of invisible walls

I could go on. It seems Ubi ripped out all the good ideas and stuck them in AssCreed

Derrick01

Banned
- a ridiculously out-of-place level that was padding an already ridiculously short game;

I could go on. It seems Ubi ripped out all the good ideas and stuck them in AssCreed

Don't forget the sick-nasty 1 shot auto kills!!!

Though I guess that could be filed under the dudebro section.

EYEL1NER

I'm hoping for Splinter Cell Conviction 2.
Conviction was the first SC game I've been able to have any fun with.

Sojgat

Conviction would have been a good game if not for the screen turning black and white whenever you were invisible. Hated that concept, it gave me a headache.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm hoping for Splinter Cell Conviction 2.
Conviction was the first SC game I've been able to have any fun with.

I guess you had fun because you were able to melee dudes and then headshot three people with a Five-seveN.

Shame you're part of the problem that the series has. :(

Haunted

Those in-world objectives being written on walls?

Stellar idea. Someone should do more with stuff like that.

Derrick01

Banned
So we've got Hitman and Splinter Cell raped and left for dead on the side of the road.

I'm going to lose my shit if Thief 4 goes a similar route. Thankfully it's in the hands of a good developer who knows how to properly reboot a franchise.

soultron

Banned

While I agree the ending segments felt poorly executed (spoilers regarding the end-game segments:
The concept of facing 3E agents was cool, IMO.
) I disagree on most of your points.

I played on the hardest difficulty available and I really enjoyed the enemy AI.

And I didn't know that using 24 and Bourne as inspiration were considered dudebro. I always considered both as highly-regarded series. (Okay, 24 got terrible towards the end, but that's a discussion for another thread...)

I think stealth very much played a part in the game. I used M+E very sparingly since I preferred to sneak up and incapacity enemies with my bare hands whenever possible. The environment was a gameplay mechanic in itself since it afforded the player new ways in which to be a stealthy predator, IMO. The environmental navigation in SCC is the top of the series, IMO.

Sure, it has a lot more action if you choose to play the game that way, but I feel that it makes sense with both the narrative and Fisher's character motivations this time around.

Conviction would have been a good game if not for the screen turning black and white whenever you were invisible. Hated that concept, it gave me a headache.

I know people found that annoying but I really enjoyed it. As someone who really likes when a game can go as HUD-less as possible, I enjoyed the fact that the mechanic conveyed very important information regardless of where a player was looking.

If Ubisoft wants to do the same thing with SC6, I feel that a Hardcore option wherein you can turn the light/dark indication off would be best, similar to how Eidos Montreal let players turn off the environmental/interactivity highlighting off in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Those in-world objectives being written on walls?

Stellar idea. Someone should do more with stuff like that.

SSX (2012) does it! I really enjoyed that too. It meant less HUD crowding, which I dug.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I think she was talking about narrative themes, not gameplay, lol. We'll see.

because everyone played Splinter Cell for it's narrative themes. remember that bad guy from the original? no, me either.

just show everyone how you implemented the 'win' button this time and be done with it.

Top Bottom