• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moneyhats, moneyhats for everyone!

S5F5L.jpg

The Windows Phone marketing team knows all too well they need to change the app conversation. On March 26, Microsoft and Nokia announced each company would invest up to 9 million euros ($12 million each) into a newly established mobile app-dev program at Aalto University in Finland over the next three years. The program is designed to help create “innovative mobile applications for the Windows Phone ecosystem and in addition, Nokia platforms, including Symbian and Series 40, to create a new generation of self-sustaining mobile startups.”

But there’s more coming on the app front, if Microsoft is sticking to its own December 2011 Windows Phone Marketing playbook, that is.

Microsoft has some aggressive plans to promote apps from vendors which compete with those from developers who are not creating Windows Phone versions of their apps. The slides from the U.S. marketing playbook (a few of which I’m including here) mention a $10 million campaign over three years to “ringfence” companies like Pandora which aren’t supporting Microsoft’s platform.

Microsoft also has plans to try to turn the app conversation from “quantity” to “quality,” especially on the Android vs. Windows Phone front. (RSP = retail sales personnel.)

The company also is lining up more promotional opportunities for top Windows Phone apps and to make use of “app cards” as an enticement to new Windows Phone purchasers.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft...-on-april-8-but-what-about-apps-updates/12264

esZFD.jpg

Circle T

Disabling the lock screen, while not something many people do, is a built-in option of Android. The contest is for showing how fast tasks can be done on WP7 compared to the other competitors. Sneaky, sure, but if you want fast, disabling something like that DOES speed things up.

If you have the standard lockscreen enabled on the G-Nex, and similar widgets/live tiles for info on both, then it basically just comes down to who can swipe the screen faster. Not really much of a test of either system.

hwalker84

I'm tempted to even say $479 is possible, but I'm not sure. I'd say expect $499, and if it is actually $479, hey, bonus.

Since this thread has become the source of Nokia 900 news I wonder how long until we see a article "RUMOR: Lumia 900 $499 off Contract?" and a link to neogaf

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You're a broken record AND you're wrong. LTE is a big deal, a better camera is a big deal, a better, more sturdy design is a big deal, Nokia specific apps are a big deal, a bigger battery is a big deal. Enough to pay $500 for? That's subjective, but to me it wouldn't be worth it. If I can get it for less than $200 after I sell my Focus S, though, it may be a different calculus. Although Apollo is out this year, my upgrade isn't until next year, and my Focus S isn't gaining any value.

Eh you'd still be getting a phone confined to the base WP specs in terms of single core with the same screen resolution and none of the extra hardware bells and whistles like say NFC that could be part of Apollo.

Now I said LTE is a big bump. Build quality might be slightly nicer, but again it's still a pre Apollo phone with the same stuff all the phones already have outside of a couple of cool Nokia Apps.

1st Gen phones didn't really get outdated with 2nd Gen phones because the baseline specs were the same aka single core, 512 RAM, and 800 x 480. Only deal is now we finally are getting some LTE phones. Still difference between now and the 3rd gen devices will be a much bigger gap. Why upgrade now when Apollo is the much bigger update unless you don't already have a phone?

Hell I think now is a shitty time in general to buy a phone irregardless of platform. This is the year of the next BIG updates verses off year bumps. No way I'd buy an Android Phone or iPhone now either until the new phones start to roll in starting with the HTC One X. Meh many probably vehemently disagree with me though.

Black-Box

I think they handled the situation poorly ... but I agree, he shouldn't have won.

He openly admits he doesn't normally have his lockscreen disabled. He set it up specifically to win the contest. That obviously is not in the spirit of what this entire campaign is attempting to show.

so this guy cheats, than goes to the internet to get them to let him have a free laptop and phone?

and yet people will still blame MS?

Raistlin

Disabling the lock screen, while not something many people do, is a built-in option of Android. The contest is for showing how fast tasks can be done on WP7 compared to the other competitors. Sneaky, sure, but if you want fast, disabling something like that DOES speed things up.

If you have the standard lockscreen enabled on the G-Nex, and similar widgets/live tiles for info on both, then it basically just comes down to who can swipe the screen faster. Not really much of a test of either system.

The problem is he openly stated he only did it for this competition. It's not how he normally uses his phone (for obvious reasons).

so this guy cheats, than goes to the internet to get them to let him have a free laptop and phone?

and yet people will still blame MS?
Pretty much.

Assuming what he said is true though, the store obviously handled things poorly. No one could give him a good explanation why he lost. That's really where the problem started, and made things look shady

Circle T

Build quality might be slightly nicer, but....

No buts. There are a lot of nice phones out there (on any platform), but as far as the hardware is concerned, this phone is top of the heap when it comes to build quality and materials, IMO.

The problem is he openly stated he only did it for this competition. It's not how he normally uses his phone (for obvious reasons).

But, this contest was WP7 vs Android, not this guy vs the employee. If Android can do that stock, which it can, then it's fair game, IMO.

D23

i went to microsoft store yesterday to do that rigged challenge.. using my old ass blackberry bold that barely even work. i lose of course but i got a free lumia 710.. so its all good.

been playing with it, i really like it so far! its pretty fast compared to my galaxy s2

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
i went to microsoft store yesterday to do that rigged challenge.. using my old ass blackberry bold that barely even work. i lose of course but i got a free lumia 710.. so its all good.

been playing with it, i really like it so far! its pretty fast compared to my galaxy s2

you got a 710 for free !? god dammit i wanna do this challenge.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I'm puzzled by Pandora because I could've sworn both sides said it was coming. I thought the only problem was the lack of 3rd party background processes, but that was resolved by mango.

I have ZunePass, which is superior imo, plus the platform has Spotify, so I think the Pandora folks are doing more damage to themselves than the platform at this point

Raistlin

But, this contest was WP7 vs Android, not this guy vs the employee. If Android can do that stock, which it can, then it's fair game, IMO.
The spirit of the competition is that you take your phone in its normal state ... and do some relatively common activities to see how your phone compares to doing it on a WP7 phone.

It very much is an individual competition. Regardless, the fact he had to configure his phone in a way he would not normally use really defeats the purpose of the message here. Though yes, it obviously shows some of the flaws in setting up these kind of events.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I agree. You know MS have the Windows Phones set up to do contest tasks as quickly as possible beforehand (for example, they wouldn't want to use my phone because I don't have a weather live tile so they would probably not win those contests). Taking advantage of an option in Android by default to help speed things up is fair game.

clav

I wonder if I can challenge with my Windows Mobile 6.5 phone.

Windows Phone smoked Windows Phone.

Phoneception.

I agree. You know MS have the Windows Phones set up to do contest tasks as quickly as possible beforehand (for example, they wouldn't want to use my phone because I don't have a weather live tile so they would probably not win those contests). Taking advantage of an option in Android by default to help speed things up is fair game.

I agree. I think that this challenge is most sinister of the challenges. I'm more a fan of "post a status update to both twitter and facebook," or "take a photo and upload it to facebook"

D23

you got a 710 for free !? god dammit i wanna do this challenge.

yup.. its literally free. they had me sign a few papers, told me to remove the sd card and sim card from the blackberry.. lol i dont even use that phone anymore! and they gave me a free lumia 710 (because i have tmobile) but they have different phone for each carrier i think..

derFeef

Yeah no doubt, but I wonder if he argumented at all in the store or if he went straight to his blog to let the world know he was right.

Sean

Banned
I think they handled the situation poorly ... but I agree, he shouldn't have won.

He openly admits he doesn't normally have his lockscreen disabled. He set it up specifically to win the contest. That obviously is not in the spirit of what this entire campaign is attempting to show.

Which is exactly what Microsoft did as well by having pre-pinned weather tile with two different locations (which is not default behavior). So why the double standard?

He won fair and square according to their rules.

Raistlin

Which is exactly what Microsoft did as well by having pre-pinned weather tile with two different locations (which is not default behavior). So why the double standard?

He won fair and square according to their rules.
I think the deck is stacked a bit ... but I also think those are 2 different scenarios.

I'd be fine if he simply had 2 widgets set up (which he also did). Basically it would be the same thing as what MS was doing. Actually modifying the startup in such a way that you wouldn't actually normally use it though is different imo. Obviously you can feel free to disagree.

I'm just waiting for people to start showing up with custom ROM's. That will pretty much be where this thing ends.

Circle T

The spirit of the competition is that you take your phone in its normal state ... and do some relatively common activities to see how your phone compares to doing it on a WP7 phone.

It very much is an individual competition. Regardless, the fact he had to configure his phone in a way he would not normally use really defeats the purpose of the message here. Though yes, it obviously shows some of the flaws in setting up these kind of events.

So, what if you go up to do the challenge, and the task they give you ISN'T something you would personally normally do? You get "smoked" and walk away a loser. My point is, even if you set the normal Nexus lockscreen, and have a couple weather widgets set, like they do with their live tiles, then the competition boils down to who can swipe the unlock on their phone faster. Hardly a shining example of OS superiority, regardless of who wins.

If the task was to SET two weather widgets/tiles, then we're getting somewhere. Like some of the other tests. Take a picture, and tweet it out. Find a location and get directions there. Those are everyday tasks, that you could compete with someone with. Challenging someone to check the weather in two locations, when they already had the live tiles setup ahead of time, is pretty shady. The fact that they got beat with THIS challenge is kind of funny really.

I wonder if I can challenge with my Windows Mobile 6.5 phone.

Windows Phone smoked Windows Phone.

Phoneception.

That would be like dividing by zero, and would probably cause an earth-swallowing black hole. Let's not try that.

Yeah no doubt, but I wonder if he argumented at all in the store or if he went straight to his blog to let the world know he was right.

Oh, for sure. The whole PR fallout from this is pretty lame. I'm glad they quickly fixed things, and put it behind them.

Troll

Banned
Do we know if the Smoked by Windows Phone is happening in all Microsoft store locations? I am in California and I think taking a day trip to Palo Alto would be worth it to get me and my wife new phones. I have an old Palm Pre that I can use.... seems too good to be true...

gcubed

i have an old phone that i could give away for a WP phone. Can i just ask for a tmobile phone if i am not on that carrier so i can use the walmart deal?

Raistlin

So, what if you go up to do the challenge, and the task they give you ISN'T something you would personally normally do? You get "smoked" and walk away a loser. My point is, even if you set the normal Nexus lockscreen, and have a couple weather widgets set, like they do with their live tiles, then the competition boils down to who can swipe the unlock on their phone faster. Hardly a shining example of OS superiority, regardless of who wins.
Really there is no perfect way to do this.

What I find a bit sad though is this is a free give away ... and everyone is trying to get something even in situations where they shouldn't. MS is trying to find an interesting way to show off the good points of WP7 in everyday use ... and they actually have given away plenty of stuff ... yet people are basically going to ruin it.

Circle T

Really there is no perfect way to do this.

Well, there ARE ways to have even competition, but then it becomes a crap-shoot as to them winning. No company is going to do that. They did what any company would do. They gear it in a way that provides them the best chances of winning, and then talk about how they "smoked" everyone else. It's really no different than when one company uses a stat or two to show how they are "superior" to their competition. Marketing, as a whole, is about spinning things to show your brand is better.....

What I find a bit sad though is this is a free give away ... and everyone is trying to get something even in situations where they shouldn't. MS is trying to find an interesting way to show off the good points of WP7 in everyday use ... and they actually have given away plenty of stuff ... yet people are basically going to ruin it.

....and like you said, once it starts to fall apart, it can get ugly pretty quick. Like I said earlier, I'm just glad to see that they got right on top of this situation, and did the good PR thing. It was a sticky situation, but they bit the bullet and turned it into a positive.

Sky Chief

Lol, I can't believe people are saying he cheated. I disable the lock screen all the time when I am exercising or sight seeing. It's a great FEATURE of the Android OS.

Korey

Not sure if serious.

The whole point is for them to "smoke you" with their pre-set up Windows Phones, in their home environment and network, and knowledge of the random predetermined tasks, some of which most normal people wouldn't use in real life - like having the weather of two cities on your home screen.

Yea, he had his lock screen disabled, which is a legit setting in Android and one that some people actually use. He also HAPPENED to have the weather of two cities on his home screen, by luck. Microsoft already had it pre-configured for this exact task. And he beat them fair and square.

"Spirit of the competition" my ass. The whole thing's a marketing gimmick (one where Microsoft Stores have the clear advantage by default), not the olympics.

PSGames

Hey guys I took a bunch of photos with the Lumia so you guys can check out the picture quality. What's a good image upload site that doesn't downgrade the quality?

Troll

Banned
Okay I just called the Microsoft Store in Santa Clara, looks like I will be giving them a visit sometime this week (hopefully). I am looking to buy a couple busted blackberrys on craigslist and take the challenge.

It's about a 2.5 hour drive, but they are giving out the Focus S for ATT, I hope this doesn't backfire somehow.

e:

Hey guys I took a bunch of photos with the Lumia so you guys can check out the picture quality. What's a good image upload site that doesn't downgrade the quality?
Is there a way to direct link from Skydrive?

jagowar

Not sure if serious.

The whole point is for them to "smoke you" with their pre-set up Windows Phones, in their home environment and network, and knowledge of the random predetermined tasks, some of which most normal people wouldn't use in real life - like having the weather of two cities on your home screen.

Yea, he had his lock screen disabled, which is a legit setting in Android and one that some people actually use. He also HAPPENED to have the weather of two cities on his home screen, by luck. Microsoft already had it pre-configured for this exact task. And he beat them fair and square.

"Spirit of the competition" my ass. The whole thing's a marketing gimmick (one where Microsoft Stores have the clear advantage by default), not the olympics.

The whole point it to show you why your phone is slower than theirs and educate you about why it is slower (you know that whole marketing thing). They do that by offering you an incentive to get you to attempt to best them. In 95% of the cases they win.

I find it funny people think ms is wrong here when they are giving people free stuff when no other company is doing this.... of course they are going to gear the contests as their advantage and not make it easy to win free stuff. Otherwise the promotion would be called everybody gets $100/free phone/laptop. This is exactly the same as an apple or android commercial but in the event you manage to best them you get something free.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Okay I just called the Microsoft Store in Santa Clara, looks like I will be giving them a visit sometime this week (hopefully). I am looking to buy a couple busted blackberrys on craigslist and take the challenge.

It's about a 2.5 hour drive, but they are giving out the Focus S for ATT, I hope this doesn't backfire somehow.

e:

Is there a way to direct link from Skydrive?

best of luck. i actually want to do this with my moms BB

Korey

That's it, I'm definitely selling my Focus S and getting one of these.

Also, when did Korey become another wp7 troll? I missed the transformation, lol.

I'm not really, I still like WP7. I also sent my buddies the videos of the smoked by windows when it first started at CES or whatever. But the poor way they handled this from scamming the guy out of his prize for no reason to Ben offering him a "rematch", and people actually defending that just ruins the whole concept for me at least.

And it also makes Microsoft look desperate and clueless. Originally you could only blame it on an incompetent retail worker, but then Ben basically ruined it by chiming in on twitter.

Sean

Banned
I think the deck is stacked a bit ... but I also think those are 2 different scenarios.

I'd be fine if he simply had 2 widgets set up (which he also did). Basically it would be the same thing as what MS was doing. Actually modifying the startup in such a way that you wouldn't actually normally use it though is different imo. Obviously you can feel free to disagree.

I'm just waiting for people to start showing up with custom ROM's. That will pretty much be where this thing ends.

Microsoft's rules prohibit any jailbroken/rooted phones, and disabling the lock screen is a stock feature of Android so he met the criteria in this case.

I don't think it's fair for either of them to have already pre-configured their phone for this task. A more fair way to approach this challenge would be to have someone in the crowd name a random city and then have both of them see who can bring up the weather info faster.

kharma45

I really dont like that :/

e: I didnt notice the "third" pivot design. That actually would work well. IMO. I was just seeing the custom background and different icons.

The swiping left from the main tiles is where I'd want to see notifications, my biggest bug WP7 is not having a centralised place for them like iOS and Android.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I really dont like that :/

e: I didnt notice the "third" pivot design. That actually would work well. IMO. I was just seeing the custom background and different icons.

yea i gotta agree with you on that. not saying who ever has this custom background has bad taste or anything, just doesn't work.

Swiping left for notifications makes a ton of sense. Make it happen MS.

That won't happen. I had that in mind since they introduced the history for profiles in Mango, but their stance against a notification center in Windows 8 ("blah blah, Live Tiles make a notification center obsolete, blah") makes me doubt they'll do one for Apollo. So yeah, wait for Windows Phone 9, codename Rambo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom