• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Short review of Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble! for those interested
I bought this a while back and I enjoyed it plenty for what it was. The gameplay is made up of simple minigames that aren't all that much, and the presentation's pretty fugly but the writing gets very funny very often and that more than makes up for it.

The gameplay itself is pretty out there: you recruit a gang of girls (from nerds to drama queens to artsy girls smoking in the bathroom) and go about solving mysteries surrounding some "accidents" that been happening on High School campus. You can do stuff like exposing other girls secrets to get information on the case or fighting bullies or coupling your girls with boyfriends that sacrifice themselves for their girls if you get defetated in one of the minigames.

I gave it a good 3 or 4 hours and was content with what I got for my money.

So it still requires GFWL? I thought I would get rid of that horrible thing once it's on Steam.

It's published by Microsoft; they're not going to drop GFWL from their own products unfortunately. Progress is still ultimately tied to your GFWL account after all - no matter the form of distribution.

Kabouter

Just finished Sniper: Ghost Warrior, it was as mediocre as I was expecting it to be. Some brief thoughts, should anyone be interested in them.

The most important part of making any game called 'Sniper' is that the actual sniper part of the game be fun, and I'm happy to say that it is. I really enjoyed playing the lone sniper role, picking off guards one by one. It's very satisfying to do so, particularly when you headshot someone from a good distance and the bullet cam shows the path of your bullet to its target. I also liked how much verticality there was in the level design, made sniping more fun still. Sadly, that's about the only good thing in terms of the level design, because one of the major problems of the game stems from that, the incredible linearity. There is almost no opportunity in the game to deviate from set paths, and sometimes when you think you have a choice, there's an invisible wall where you want to go. Level variety is fairly decent for a game set entirely in a single country.

Where the sniping portion of the game is quite good, the same can't be said of the frequent times when the developers seem to want to imitate Call of Duty. The run & gun sections of the game suffer from a wide variety of problems, not the least of which is the fact that the enemy AI instantly sees you and has near perfect aim. Friendly AIs are remarkably terrible shots for elite soldiers. Frustrating, even on the easy difficulty setting. I'm no fan of most modern FPS games, but certainly these parts of Sniper: Ghost Warrior made me appreciate the work of DICE and Infinity Ward/Treyarch a little bit more.

Another issue is the overall jank associated with the game, I especially had issues when climbing up places and with the workings of the stealth element of the game, which didn't always make a whole lot of sense. I've seen worse in Eastern European games, but it does detract from the experience a bit. What detracts more still is the fact that the sound mixing in the game was quite poor in my experience. It was very hard to gauge distance of enemies based on volume.

Overall, I enjoyed Sniper: Ghost Warrior, helped in part that at about five hours it was just about the right length. However, I think it could have been better in many ways, especially if the developers had had the balls to make it purely about sniping, rather than trying to put in Call of Duty bits.

5/10

Note: I did not play multiplayer, and have no interest in doing so.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just finished Sniper: Ghost Warrior, it was as mediocre as I was expecting it to be. Some brief thoughts, should anyone be interested in them.

I definitely agree about the sniping vs. the COD-esque combat. Fortunately they have only shown sniping in the sequel and hopefully it stays that way.

That's how I feel, for the most part. $5 was the right amount. I don't know if this happened to you, but sometimes I'd snipe someone who was next to somebody else and they would both be talking, and after killing the guy the other person would continue to stand there and talk. Situations like that were pretty frequent for me.

Kabouter

That's how I feel, for the most part. $5 was the right amount. I don't know if this happened to you, but sometimes I'd snipe someone who was next to somebody else and they would both be talking, and after killing the guy the other person would continue to stand there and talk. Situations like that were pretty frequent for me.

Not too often, but it did happen a few times. Game is pretty janky like that. Hopefully, after selling two million copies of this game, they'll have the money for proper QA on the sequel.

Kabouter

Cryengine 3 has some pretty slick AI features built in.

Oh, it's CryEngine 3? That's promising, even if it does mean that I won't play it until 2014.

Forgot to mention by the way, another thing I really did like about the game was the load times, near instant, even on the old ass mechanical HDD in my PC. I wish more games had that, always makes it far more likely for me to keep playing a game.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So in AoE:Online is there a single player part as well? I hear the servers are dwindling somewhat. Can I still play classic scenario based building alone and just enjoy the game?

moggio

Banned
So in AoE:Online is there a single player part as well? I hear the servers are dwindling somewhat. Can I still play classic scenario based building alone and just enjoy the game?

It's all single-player unless you choose to do co-op or skirmish.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Not going to bother with the DLC for now (although I do own it), will probably play at some point down the line though.

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend taking a break in between. The DLC is essentially more of the same, except sniping only. However, the levels kinda drag on a bit due to how many enemies there are.

Megasoum

Banned
Wait...so people crying over the fact that a game is on Origin is still a thing? Seriously, people need to get over it and move on at some point...

Is steam better? Sure, of course it is... Is Origin fine and working as advertised? Absolutely.

Get over it people!

Tambini

Wait...so people crying over the fact that a game is on Origin is still a thing? Seriously, people need to get over it and move on at some point...

Is steam better? Sure, of course it is... Is Origin fine and working as advertised? Absolutely.

Get over it people!

b b but it splits my digital library!

Get over it people!

They advertised the fact that they take away your games and spy on your shit?

Blizzard

Banned
Nope...why would they? Steam has been doing the same thing for years and nobody ever said anything.
How has Valve been doing the same thing?

Valve doesn't, for instance, ban people's accounts if their Steam forums account gets banned (as far as I know).

Valve does disable people's accounts for credit card fraud triggers (which may be false positives, and be annoying) and then reenables them through support channels.

Valve does have a system that can VAC ban people with false positives (in the Black Ops case at minimum), though in that case, they were widespread enough to be reverted. That does not result in an account ban, however.

My personal biggest concern would probably be that EA is sort of well known as a crappy gaming company from a consumer perspective (note the thread about EA for worst consumerist company), with occasional bright spots. Valve is known as one of the best gaming companies from a consumer perspective, with occasional dark spots. EA is also known for doing stuff like taking down servers for games etc., and I do not have a lot of faith in their service or their servers, whereas Valve (even with occasional server reliability issues) has a huge userbase, is a private company, and I expect it and the Steam service to be around for the foreseeable future.

Tomodachi

Get over it people!
I don't want my library split among different digital delivery service. It's simple, really. Especially when one of them houses the games of only ONE publisher and I don't have any friends over there (/cue foreveralone memes).

Nelo Ice

Banned
I don't want my library split among different digital delivery service. It's simple, really. Especially when one of them houses the games of only ONE publisher and I don't have any friends over there (/cue foreveralone memes).

I just launch everything through steam including origin since most everyone is on steam. Mainly do that for the overlay and if people need to contact me while I'm playing a Blizzard or EA game they can.

How has Valve been doing the same thing?

Valve doesn't, for instance, ban people's accounts if their Steam forums account gets banned (as far as I know).

Valve does disable people's accounts for credit card fraud triggers (which may be false positives, and be annoying) and then reenables them through support channels.

Valve does have a system that can VAC ban people with false positives (in the Black Ops case at minimum), though in that case, they were widespread enough to be reverted. That does not result in an account ban, however.

I await the response of 'Don't post on their forums, problem solved.'

I await the response of 'Don't post on their forums, problem solved.'

I decided to solve the(ir) problem by not posting on their forums and not buying their games. If they ever decide to get sensible, I might reconsider, but it'd take a lot for me to be confident in buying anything from EA.

Blizzard

Banned
It looks like Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery will have a pre-order. The game will be SteamPlay and the soundtrack will be available.
Is that the game that...*googles*
img_02958xjm6.jpg

Yay, it is! I kept seeing the picture, and I look forward to being able to play it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom