• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Just got it and I certainly do like this a lot, but I would love some folks to play this with. I put my info on the spreadsheet, so if you add me just say so.

I love all the little references to the older games.

OmegaZero

Gah, Chapter
is the last one I need to 9.0.
I've literally spent 100,000 hearts trying to. :/

Any tips from those who've beaten it on that difficulty?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Man, I still haven't successfully beaten chapter one on 9.0 difficulty. The opening section just slaughters my health. I can dodge a few shots but I just get hit too often.

SmithnCo

I finally did this last night. It's the only chapter I've beaten on 9.0 and I barely did it.

Wait chapter one?

The opening section is easy enough, I save my power moves for the section where you fly backwards, and the section with the frogs on the side of the mountain. Those are the only really tricky parts about the flying section.

The ground section is really easy, you can just run through or get the three chests along the way. Use invisibility on the boss.

With the short range Magnus Club has, you're just asking to be one shotted before you can come close.

Not really though. With the right stats, a Magnus club is one of the most OP weapons out there.

EDIT: Here's mine:

7hNCK.jpg

Kard8p3

Wait chapter one?

The opening section is easy enough, I save my power moves for the section where you fly backwards, and the section with the frogs on the side of the mountain. Those are the only really tricky parts about the flying section.

The ground section is really easy, you can just run through or get the three chests along the way. Use invisibility on the boss.

I don't even have invisibility so that wasn't an option.

Riposte

Do you get anything for 100%ing the credits? I missed a single name lol.

EDIT: Here was my go-to weapon for single player (still switched it to keep it interesting)

Compact Arm (Value 298)
Ranged: **1/2
Melee:
Overall Defense+5
Health+4
Paralysis+2
Forward-dash ch. shot+1
Side-dash cont. fire+3
Heart bonus+1

Served me well.

Neiteio

Do you get anything for 100%ing the credits? I missed a single name lol.

EDIT: Here was my go-to weapon for single player (still switched it to keep it interesting)

Compact Arm (Value 298)
Ranged: **1/2
Melee:
Overall Defense+5
Health+4
Paralysis+2
Forward-dash ch. shot+1
Side-dash cont. fire+3
Heart bonus+1

Served me well.
You must be bulletproof with Overall Defense +5, lol. :)

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
So anyone know what the deal with the Lancer staff is?
To explain a few days ago I went into the training room with a bunch of weapons just to see how they differed and what not, I was surprised when my 180 odd value Lancer staff dealt a surprisingly high amount of damage (it also has 2+ charge shot and 2+dash but even so).
So with the low value in mind a made a setup for light versus dark with the staff, it was solid but not as grand as I was expecting. But I gave it a second whirl yesterday and hooooly shit! the thing was a monster I tell you!
I lack the idol for the weapon that would probably answer my question so i'm just wondering if it's unique hook is surprisingly powerful charge shots and dash attacks at the expense of range and speed?

I used to use a Lancer. Good stuff.

Marlowe89

Man, I still haven't successfully beaten chapter one on 9.0 difficulty. The opening section just slaughters my health. I can dodge a few shots but I just get hit too often.

If it's the air battle you're talking about, just circle around constantly to throw the homing of enemy attacks off. Some might consider it cheap, but it works more often than not.

And speaking of Lancer, that's what I'm currently using. I still need better weapons though.

KevinCow

Banned
Isn't there Defense +7 too? Crazy.

I think Heart Bonus only goes to 3... Haven't seen a 4 so far.

I have some Brawler Claws with +8 Overall Defense. I really want to fuse that into a Ball Cannon.

They also have +4 to Speed and +1 to Stamina. I threw those on with Lightweight and Tirelessness and blasted through the first mission hilariously fast.

Roto13

I got this early on somehow (I guess through multiplayer) and used it all the way through my first run of the game.

Rose Staff
Value: 277
Ranged: 4.5
Melee: 1.5
Overall defense +4
Shot range +2
Backward-dash ch. shot +1
Health -1

Obviously I play long range in single player. :p The health debuff is offset entirely by the defense buff. Dash charge shot goes 120.7m and standing does 115.2m so it's got a great range.

This is what I use for multiplayer:

Skyscraper Club
Value: 267
Ranged: 4.5
Melee: 2
Overall defense +1
Knockback defense +1
Paralysis +3
Walking speed +1
Melee combo +1

I should really make something better, I think. The walking speed boost isn't nearly enough. I move sooo sloooow with it. But its projectile is great so it's handy at a distance anyway.

Marlowe89

Can the exact same Idols you get from the Treasure Hunt thingies also be unlocked with Idol Toss? Or are they exclusively for 'em?

I want an Idol guide and Google isn't doing me any favors.

Neiteio

Can the exact same Idols you get from the Treasure Hunt thingies also be unlocked with Idol Toss? Or are they exclusively for 'em?

I want an Idol guide and Google isn't doing me any favors.
It seems every idol you can get through the treasure hunts, you can also get by doing egg toss instead. For example, I got
Hades (Battle)
through an egg toss, but you can also get it by beating
Boss Rush on Normal

daakusedo

There are some 9.0 videos on youtube.
That's hard for my heart. So much time you wonder if he will die and he always survives, finishing a whole part of flight section with no life, the same on the ground. So painful.

OmegaZero

Nooo, just got to the part where you fight
the two suplexing angels, the archer, and the catapult before the Pit's Body boss

From full-health to zero in 20 seconds. :/
9.0, why do you hate me?

Gah, Chapter
is the last one I need to 9.0.
I've literally spent 100,000 hearts trying to. :/

Any tips from those who've beaten it on that difficulty?

Sorry for the late response, but this is how I did it:

Dash attacks are your best friend in this Chapter. They can one- or two-shot most enemies and stagger the ones that they don't. Also, remember that you don't need to kill every enemy you come across. Skip every fight that the game lets you, as it's safer to miss out on a few hearts than to be unexepctedly cheap-shotted by an enemy.

It's also very important that you keep the camera in front of you at all times (bind "Center Camera to up/down on the d-pad), since Magnus, unlike Pit, can only melee attack straight in front of him, and doesn't turn to hit enemies that are just out of reach.

When you get to the boss, focus on defense over offense. Whenever he fires a volley of arrows, dodge towards him and then quickly pull off a melee combo followed by a dash attack to hit him on the ground. If he tries melee-ing you, then dodge away from him and dash attack. Keep you camera on him at all times, as his attacks come fast and often.

With this knowledge in mind, I wish you the best of luck. May the odds be in your favour.

RagnarokX

I wish they would have explained this somewhere:

U6LBX.jpg

Noticed the purple star medal and was curious. GameFAQs figured it out.

purple star medal = 1000 kills
blue crossed swords = 100 kills
light blue swords = 10 kills
green swords = 1 kill

Which pans out since I have 1,131 kills.

NEO0MJ

Nooo, just got to the part where you fight
the two suplexing angels, the archer, and the catapult before the Pit's Body boss

From full-health to zero in 20 seconds. :/
9.0, why do you hate me?

Another tip

If you stand directly in front of the suplexing angels it seems that they always fail to grab you. So you can just slash them without fear.

I need some help. According to my Power Portrait, I am only 3 powers away from having them all. I know for a fact that 2 of them are Mega Laser Level 4 and Eggplant Attack, but I can't find them even after searching for hours. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Murrah

Banned
People are already that far along with doing levels on 9.0? I haven't even attempted them on anything past
chapter 8
because just thinking about it makes my blood boil, and I don't want to end up hating this game like I did with brawl after getting trophies of all the subspace enemies. But now I feel really inadequate so I can already tell what the rest of my weekend is gonna consist of

OmegaZero

Sorry for the late response, but this is how I did it:

Dash attacks are your best friend in this Chapter. They can one- or two-shot most enemies and stagger the ones that they don't. Also, remember that you don't need to kill every enemy you come across. Skip every fight that the game lets you, as it's safer to miss out on a few hearts than to be unexepctedly cheap-shotted by an enemy.

It's also very important that you keep the camera in front of you at all times (bind "Center Camera to up/down on the d-pad), since Magnus, unlike Pit, can only melee attack straight in front of him, and doesn't turn to hit enemies that are just out of reach.

When you get to the boss, focus on defense over offense. Whenever he fires a volley of arrows, dodge towards him and then quickly pull off a melee combo followed by a dash attack to hit him on the ground. If he tries melee-ing you, then dodge away from him and dash attack. Keep you camera on him at all times, as his attacks come fast and often.

With this knowledge in mind, I wish you the best of luck. May the odds be in your favour.

Another tip

If you stand directly in front of the suplexing angels it seems that they always fail to grab you. So you can just slash them without fear.

Awesome. Will try, guys.

Roto13

I just finished running through the game a second time on 5.0. (Though I did die in one or two stages and finish it on 4.0.) Now I'm going to do some of the Treasure Hunt challenges. Just beat
Thanatos
in Crisis Mode by playing it on 0.0. God, so boring. Attacks barely do any damage. I had to let him hit me like fifty times to get into crisis mode.
I wish they would have explained this somewhere:

U6LBX.jpg

Noticed the purple star medal and was curious. GameFAQs figured it out.

purple star medal = 1000 kills
blue crossed swords = 100 kills
light blue swords = 10 kills
green swords = 1 kill

Which pans out since I have 1,131 kills.
I was wondering about that.

Boogiepop

Beat chapters
15-17
on 9.0. So now I'm up to
Chapter 18
. First try didn't go so great, but I guess I'll keep trying, MAYBE skip to some later chapters if it proves to be as much of a pain as it seems it likely will. Really wish they would've at least put the heart count for trying the level on 9.0 WAY down. As it is now, I feel like I'm going to be losing a LOT of hearts to this level unless I want to force myself all the way through each time I die. Hm.

Neiteio

Cheated the clock to keep getting Play Coins, spawning enough eggs to get all of the idols. There are a whopping
idols. I know I have them all since I got an achievement for collecting every idol!

Later I'll go through them and read all of their entries from start to finish. It's like a pocket encyclopedia of Kid Icarus lore! Every game that has characters and locations should have this feature.

Also,
Hades
fans, take note: The character appears in numerous trophies. Off the top of my head,
Hades, Hades (Battle), Hades (New Legs), Medusa vs. Hades, and Hades (Final)
. Those last two are especially amazing!

One final note on idols: If you know an idol you want is the reward for a certain achievement, and that achievement is too hard and you'd rather save the feather, know that ALL idols are eventually unlocked through egg toss. So in other words, save your feathers -- you'll get all of the idols the normal way just by tossing eggs!

THIS GAME.

hatchx

Banned
Yay! I cleared every chapter on 9.0.

Sweet Jesus....how?

Can you say a little more. How many hours did it take, how much agony did it take? deaths? What were the easier ones.

I consider myself pretty damn good at the game and I still get raped on 8.0. It seems to be a lot of enemy memorization.

SmithnCo

Yeah, I'd like to know what the easiest 9.0 chapters are. I usually run through chapter 1 to get money but it's getting stale.

Boogiepop

Woot, beat
Chapter 18
on 9.0. Only took a few tries, (got it on about the fifth attempt, which was the third time in a row hitting the boss.) It was scary close. Got thrown into crisis mode once, dodged long enough to de-crisis, then I got into crisis again and won! Man was I tense during the
air battle afterwards. Would have SUCKED to die there.

For anyone still trying to do it, the key things I found were
you can run under the Juggernauts/dash through them, and it is ALWAYS a good idea to just do that instead of trying to deal with them. Also, the Strongarms are REALLY easy to deal with, just get approximately aimed at them and wail attack, and you'll autolockon with them unable to hurt you. Combine those together and in the last part you can dodge under the Juggernaut which'll trap the Strongarms on the other side, then just wail on them. That should almost kill the Strongarms as well as destroying the Juggernaut, making the cleanup pretty simple. And for the boss, I just dodged until I got into the "swing around the opponent" dodge, at which point attacking will autolock and you can generally overpower him.

Glad that's out of the way.

hatchx

Banned
It might be a bit early to ask, but what are you guys expecting for a sequel?

For 3DS,
I'd really like a co-op focused mode. Maybe a horde-like mode too. Another
chapters of more of the same for single is fine by me. Include dual-analog controls for the haters.

For WiiU,
Reinvent the wheel a bit. More open world. More focused plaforming/action. Bigger, better, crazier graphics. Yeah....

Top Bottom