• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ahh, damn. That would have been my last possible excuse for being so slow. I guess you're just playing fast.

Edit: Oh yeah, Schala: How's your playthrough of Mystic Quest coming along? ;)

Heropon

Guys, I have finally finished a numbered Final Fantasy!! it was 13..

I did really like the missions, but I hated to grind....

I'm looking for more of your impressions about that game.
Did you like the first ten chapters?
Do you want to punch Snow or Hope?
What is your opinion about Deus Ex Machinas?
Why does Square insist in puting Lightning everywhere when she has never protagonized anything?
Did you like the difficulty?
Are you going to play another FF after that?

CorvoSol

Why does Square insist in puting Lightning everywhere when she has never protagonized anything?

She was the protagonist in FFXIII. No, it wasn't Vanille. Being protagonist isn't the same as being the narrator. And why is being a protagonist somehow a requirement for appearing "everywhere"?

Come to think of it, how is she being put everywhere? She's in one Dissidia game and the two games from which she originates (and a Fortune Street title?). That's nothing compared to say, Cloud and Gilgamesh. Heck its less than Kain.

Heropon

She was the protagonist in FFXIII. No, it wasn't Vanille. Being protagonist isn't the same as being the narrator. And why is being a protagonist somehow a requirement for appearing "everywhere"?

Come to think of it, how is she being put everywhere? She's in one Dissidia game and the two games from which she originates (and a Fortune Street title?). That's nothing compared to say, Cloud and Gilgamesh. Heck its less than Kain.

Hehehe, it was a joke, but for some reason I have the feeling they have used her as some kind of mascot lately.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Updated summary.

Final Fantasy

Aeana PSP: Part 1A, 1B, 2, 3, 4
Scythian PSP: Part 1, 2, 3
perfect free iOS: Part 1, 2, 3
Cyan NES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
catchan PSP: Part 1, 2
BreakyBoy PSX: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Jucksalbe PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
kswiston PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Heropon PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
IdreamofHIME : Part 1
Entropia GBA: Part 1, 2, 3
Ourobolus GBA: Part 1, 2
ATF487 PSP: Part 1
ninjatrigg PSP: Part 1

Final Fantasy II

Aeana PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Goli PSP: Part 1
Heropon PSP: Part 1, 2, 3
charlequin : Part 1, 2
Johnas : Part 1, 2
Ultratech GBA: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Ourobolus iOS: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Entropia : Part 1, 2, 3
Chris25 iOS: Part 1, 2
IdreamofHIME : Part 1
Scythian PSP: Part 1
ninjatrigg PSP: Part 1

Final Fantasy III

Aeana Famicom: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Jucksalbe Famicom; Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 , 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
stupei DS: Part 1, 2, 3
Heropon DS: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
TranceKuja Famicom: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Entropia DS: Part 1, 2, 3
Ourobolus Famicom: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Psxphile DS: Part 1, 2
Kaori's Babydaddy Famicom: Part 1, 2

Final Fantasy IV

Absoludacrous PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Jucksalbe PSP: Part 1, 2
itzknickknac PSP: Part 1
Goli PSP: Part 1, 2, 3
Aeana PSP: Part 1, 2
Zing SNES: Part 1
Heropon PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Kalnos DS: Part 1
Zerokku PSP: Part 1
Paches-EJ- SNES: Part 1, 2
Ourobolus PSP: Part 1, 2, 3
Red Scarlet SNES: Part 1, 2

Final Fantasy IV - The After Years

Electivirus PSP: Part 1, 2, 3

Final Fantasy V

HiddenWings GBA: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
Labadal : Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Aeana SFC: Part 1, 2
Schnei871 : Part 1
Entropia : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Heropon GBA: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Jucksalbe

Banned
Final Fantasy VI

Vamphuntr PSX: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
FrontalMonk : Part 1
Aeana : Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Entropia : Part 1, 2
Natetan : Part 1, 2, 3
Heropon SNES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
FGMPR PSX: Part 1
Rei_Toei : Part 1, 2
Ourobolus GBA: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Final Fantasy VII

Gravijah : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Lindsay : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, Bonus
StuBurns : Part 1
Entropia : Part 1
Aeana : Part 1
Heropon : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Final Fantasy VIII

SFGamer : Part 1
chris-013 : Part 1
Wildesy : Part 1
xist : Part 1

Final Fantasy IX

Billychu : Part 1, 2, 3
Lactose_Intolerant : Part 1

Final Fantasy X-2

Jucksalbe : Part 1

Final Fantasy XIII

Rahxephon91 : Part 1, 2
Seda: Part 1
Ourobolus: Part 1

Final Fantasy Tactics A2

Labadal : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core

Locke_211: Part 1, 2

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers

Goli : Part 1

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (Legend)

Jucksalbe SNES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Dark Schala SNES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4

Seiken Densetsu / Final Fantasy Adventure / Mystic Quest

Jucksalbe SGB: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Chocobo Racing

Jucksalbe: Part 1
HiddenWings: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Bonus: If you want to take screenshots on your PSP, follow Stumpokapow's instructions here and here.
Bonus 2: Need to get rid of black borders in your pictures? Look here.

Xaekid

Since FFXI gets no love on this thread (IT DOES have a story too!) I might as well post some stuff here since I've been doing Windurst nation missions lately. At first I just wanted to get them done ASAP and change nations but I have to say: the NPCs from Windy really got me interested in their story in the long run.

I did them all solo so it was pretty much a "FFXI Offline" experience.

ffxi_20120422_180423.png

ffxi_20120422_183351.png

ffxi_20120422_183811.png

Depending on people's reaction I guess I could post some more, or heck, maybe some other GAF people that used to/still play FFXI.

So, will you continue with FF VIII right away? I think you'd even be the first to post screenshots of it in this thread.

I started FFVIII again before I knew of this thread and had made it almost to the end of disc 1 before other games got in the way. However I am playing it with a friend so that means playing it on PS3. I wish the PS3 had a screenshot function as well but it doesn't. So all I can end up with is photo's of the screen but, well... yeah.

dP0Xl.jpg

Entropia

No One Remembers
Jucksalbe - Thanks for posting those update links! That's awesome. Mine feel lame because I don't throw up any screenshots ;<

I didn't get a chance to play 7 last night like I wanted to, definitely going to be playing tonight.

They were very boring to be honest.. chapter 11 it´s where everything starts awesome!

Snow.... at least Hope really lost someone.

Even when I finished the game, I didn´t understand why the bad guy did that.

She must not be forgotten.

If the difficulty is to grind like 1 day to barely kill an enemy from a mission, then no, I didn´t like it. Also, the last boss is a joke.

Now I´m playing part 2 and it´s so much better <3

That´s my opinion.

Heropon

That´s my opinion.

Thanks for the responses, I wanted to know some opinions about the black sheep title. I think I shouldn't have called that game the black sheep when it's evident that title belongs to VIII, ups no, II.
I find really funny all those arguments about how every FF is the worst game in history.

Thanks for the responses, I wanted to know some opinions about the black sheep title. I think I shouldn't have called that game the black sheep when it's evident that title belongs to VIII, ups no, II.
I find really funny all those arguments about how every FF is the worst game in history.

I think this is because the series usually tries to experiment with new things (systems-wise) in each installment. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

While my boyfriend was playing today I decided to take a few pictures of the screen to see if there might be a consistent way of making them not look like ass. Final Fantasy VIII really needs some screenshotlove in this thread after all.

But I'm afraid they won't come from me. Playing the game stretched across an HDTV is surprisingly okay looking once you get used to it, but the pictures I took have been wildly inconsistent.

This is what we played tonight.

TlQuE.jpg

Tomb of the Unknown King.

C01Me.jpg

Yay for prerendered backgrounds. They are still gorgeous.

RzKHl.jpg

I've always hated this place. I could never wrap my head around it, although I've always beaten it somehow. You don't HAVE to, but Brothers await at the end. I love the music and atmosphere here.

ssIcC.jpg

They actually killed us the first time around. We don't want to spam GF's since they are so overpowered, but we also don't want to go through this place again all the time... so the second time we won by spamming GF's >_>

So ehm yeah, I hope Heropon will come to save the day and take some actual better looking screenshots : D

Ourobolus

Banned
I started FFVII a little bit ago (minus the initial bombing run since I apparently had a new save from way back when), and just beat the Air Buster and met Aeris. I'll post some screenshots at some point, been really busy lately.

ninjatrigg

Neo Member
Finally finished FFIII DS

Enjoy my crappy screenshots :)

zka8U.jpg

I really enjoyed the job system, but the game was pretty boring story wise.

On to FFIV PSP!

To anyone who has played it, is The After Years a worthy addition to the game?

Great job Jucksalbe on keeping track of everything.

jaxword

On to FFIV PSP!

To anyone who has played it, is The After Years a worthy addition to the game?

It is average. There are some good parts, i.e. seeing how Edward has matured into a real King, seeing the heroes' descendants, and general nostalgia at seeing how the world's changed in 16 years.

The bad is that they didn't NEARLY put enough effort into it, so many characters are left undeveloped, but it was originally just a cell phone romhack so some lenience is fair.

Xaekid

FFXI discharge incoming!

ffxi_20100218_093142.png

Automaton vs Cardian. Mnejing vs King of Hearts (Aht Urhgan Storyline).

ffxi_20100218_093801.png

Nobody messes with the King of Hearts.

ffxi_20100601_003625.png

He's also an excellent medic.

ffxi_20120411_142835.png

Party time (A Moogle Kupo d'Etat Storyline).

ffxi_20120425_093745.png

Karaha-Baruha and the Star Sibyl on the secret Animastery (Windurst Storyline).

ffxi_20120426_000942.png

Final boss for Bastok Storyline: Zeid.

ffxi_20120317_141114.png

Time to relax a little bit.

Experimens continue when I load up Final Fantasy IX into my PSP. The last time I played it like this must have been around two/three years ago.

Much to my delight, my savefile was still there :p

9s0kY.jpg

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the concensus will be that 'normal' screen ratio is the best looking:

Normal
luX9w.jpg

Normal x2
zzXIl.jpg

Fullscreen
gQAMl.jpg

However playing the normal ratio is, well, reeeeally tiny on the PSP screen. Fullscreen is rather ugly but something I could get used to I think. That's how I played it back then anyway. Thoughts?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Play it on normal. It takes a few minutes to adjust, but then you won't even notice the smaller picture.

Edit: Any stretched version shouldn't even be considered. ;)

Not sure how far I'll take this since I'm also playing FFVIII, but hey.

E2VMc.jpg

Garnet is having a nightmare.

QGAsP.jpg
0GbDu.jpg
UcJpv.jpg
dgCfE.jpg

Airships!

And our main main:

z0Bvi.jpg
pzgfJ.jpg

Zidane is late, but so is their leader.

Ugkm1.jpg
vnb2Y.jpg

Oh no a dragon. You can steal a Mage Masher from him.

dUnqv.jpg
J8iea.jpg

Oh hey, it's Baku. Time to start the meeting. The plan is to kidnap Princess Garnet while playing 'I Want To Be Your Canary.' Or...

GyfVe.jpg
5EIrq.jpg
09wXd.jpg

:)

Time to meet one of Final Fantasy's best characters, Vivi!

LuRUU.jpg
QKRwZ.jpg
P1Ca3.jpg
G0nQ3.jpg

You f'in bet.

T1qO6.jpg

Vivi is a clutz. While exploring Alexandria, I've always felt a little bad about this:

aBlze.jpg

And I was and still am awful at this:

VsZva.jpg

And I'm still freaked out by this hippo's smile:

DryiM.jpg

Anyway, after some minor distractions it's time to stamp the ticket for I Want To Be Your Canary, which is why Vivi is here. But wait!

81tdz.jpg
689S9.jpg

It's a fake ticket ):

Then Puck comes along and makes Vivi his slave in exchange for a secret route into the play. They steal a ladder while Alleyway Jack is oblivous.

FqYmJ.jpg

I'm not playing the card game this time. Back in the day I had a complete collection, besides two that were a one time only missable item.

Aaj3u.jpg
mlrbi.jpg

Moogles as savepoints. I love this game. I never did complete the whole Mognet sidequest, I'm always left with two or three letters or something.

And that's it for today :)

I just finished FFCC The Crystal Bearers. I took some pictures along the way so I thought I'd try my hand at a write up.

vQ6WSl.jpg

Picking up from where the last guy left off, Belle is being chased by the capitol for being an all-around thief.

UN9Kdl.jpg

The crystal idol she is holding is the key to resurrecting a lost tribe of people in the game. Belle does all the crystal gathering for you so you never have to do some over involved dungeon crawl to get them.

sUsBnl.jpg

Story events happen and it drains the crystal of power. Layle, the hero of this game, takes the crystal to the only inventor across all space and time in the FF universe. Cid.

R5iYFl.jpg

Layle is something of a wanted man after his involvement with the Crystal Idol. A moogle makes an appearance in Cid's office to put up a wanted sign featuring Layle's face. Although this is a reoccurring plot point in the game, this is the only instance of an NPC recognizing Layle from the wanted posters.

qdIn0l.jpg

Layle and Keiss kick back at the vineyard while following the trail of "Goldenrod" a crystal based life form that crashed the air ship in the opening of the game by draining all its power.

qfaxAl.jpg

They catch up with Goldenrod and get pulled into another dimension. Not much is known about this dimension except that all the scrub monsters carry extremely power swords that can pierce the skin of a dragon. After you take care of the dragon, Goldenrod makes her escape and you and Kiess hop though the portal after her.

Sf2jgl.jpg

More plot happens, but the important part is you get to go to the beach! Turns out that Belle is part of a gang. This is only important because it is used an excuse to battle for turf on the beach in a butt bumping mini game.

1jcrgl.jpg

You think it's hard to hide something in that bikini? So does Layle.

zE0I5l.jpg

Layle also gets some beach attire for this part of the world. Belle busts him for being a creeper and stealing from her. Their argument is interrupted by more plot and the changing rooms burst into flames.

VG7k5l.jpg

This is inside a temple at the ice stage. More plot happens here.

SyHJ8l.jpg

I'm a sucker for Belle and her costume changes.

guuc9l.jpg

Ice stage ends with you following Goldenrod into her home dimension. This is her house. It's kind of sparse. She explains that her tribe was banished because their crystal was jacked up in the last Great War. There's something called the "Crystal Imperative" which is just a way of saying that any plot hole will have crystals shoved into it until it's filled.

5pMVZl.jpg

More plot happens and the world's most wanted Crystal Bearer sneaks into a royal dance without so much as a pair of fake glasses. Something tells me these people just can't read.

byCntl.jpg

He gets his private time with the princess. He's after the last crystal idol that she wears on her chest. She's a little hesitant to give it up because if Goldenrod's people come back to the world then her own tribe's crystal will break and send them away. Goldenrod conveniently forgot to mention it.

ZoMYYl.jpg

High Commander Jegran has been a bad guy for a while, but on the floating prison ship, it really comes out. He collected all the beach goers and imprisoned them in the prison to turn them into red crystals. The crystals can be used to power machines, but because there is like only 200 npc's in the world, losing 30 of them is kinda a bad thing. The heroes bust into prison and we get to find out that Kiess is kind of a bad ass with a sword.

78Ximl.jpg

Vaigali, king of the beach party people, tries to crush Jergran with a big rock in an effort to kill the man with the bat sword. He dies. I'm sorry party people.

That concludes part 2 of the FFCC The Crystal Bearers recap. I'll try and post the third and final part this afternoon.

Heropon

wgZDQ.png

DAY 1

n3LLo.png
6tl2j.png

We start this game with Squall in an infirmary because bully Seifer has injured him. Luckily, he attracts women like a magnet and a mysterious woman and his instructor Quistis come to look after him.

w1UFu.png
1e3dr.png

More women bump on our Squall. This will be a busy day, first we have to visit a cave.

NM5L6.png
0c00Q.png

When Squall is about to exit the Garden, he recieves his first two G.F., Quetzacoatl and Shiva.

H6lcc.png
ZwtyS.png

After changing the strange initial configuration, (triangle=menu forever) we go to the monster infested fields.

fQYRs.png
eapaH.png

The worms attack us. I keep L2R2 as the escape input, as I need R1 to use the manual trigger with the gunblade. Free criticals!

uZozh.png
6VdA7.png

There's a self-imposed time limit in the cave. I think 20 minutes is a good amount. It's hot in here...

3jTTE.png
exbdY.png

And we find the first boss, Ifrit.

2Pw1d.png
FE5xQ.png

As I don't like using the G.F. command, I use all the ice I have.

aCoI2.png
ANokj.png

I get the skill to transform items into ice/water magic and a new G.F.

52bS5.png
Q6beu.png

It comes with the dangerous Elemental Attack Juntion (Elem-Atk-J), as you can equip an incorrect magic in the incorrect place and screw up. We'll do something about it later. Returning to the Garden, Quistis gets an item that teaches Ultra Waves.

u3ctL.png
AL59b.png

It's time for the exam, and Zell has the honor to be in the same team as Squall.

KNPO3.png
LZ8Ee.png

But Seifer is the leader. Zelda's father visits the group to give encouragement.

V0poG.png
wNhpr.png

After use of various transportation, they reach Dollet.

6DdjN.png
yogcv.png

The galbadian army greets the seeds, and they have to defeat them. What happens with them, faint or death?

RRd3M.png
EUraN.png

We learn one of the most useful skills in the game. Card lets us kill enemies (not human/robots), recieve AP and don't gain EXP and win awesome cards.

PoUmr.png
AGFc9.png

After some adventures in the town square, Seifer decides to go outside the group's area.

2FR3l.png
5Iuht.png

Snake, Snake, Snaaaaaake! The monster increases the deck!

jtUry.png
Ct9Sf.png

Seifer loves burning people faces and spying.

gq8zb.png
wVWbJ.png

Seifer leaves the group and Selphie appears. She keeps tripping and jumping.

UrlNq.png
6hBZc.png

The villains activate the transmission tower for mysterious purposes.

uJVqk.png
bzJUD.png

Second boss, Biggs and Wedge: They are a joke, enough said.

o0uie.png
xCzA2.png

But another boss blows them and there's a serious opponent for once in this place.

p35hU.png
9bFzX.png

The group draws Siren and Double.

Wsa5N.png
8Hzl5.png

Thanks to a barrage of magics the monster dies.

NTP5r.png
06rQ6.png

After the battle we gain the possibility of transforming items into fire/Flare magics and the ability to use Siren.

DAXvb.png
QC1nZ.png

It's time to leave this damned place, but a stupid robot makes it difficult.

8elMw.png
D36HG.png

And it keeps chasing them...

EWV8f.png
S1ldT.png

...until Quistis destroys it for good.

EIkic.png
CbyRz.png

Thanks to this world strange mechanics, the sky is still blue in the Balamb island. The instructors and Cid scold Seifer for his irresponsability.

8889O.png
oR9r9.png

But Squall, Zell, Selphie and mysterious man pass the exam. Squall is the favourite and gets a battle log.

afRKk.png
iwPeU.png

We're Seeds &#9835;, we're Seeds &#9835;!

zA2mF.png
eXNfi.png

I don't know if this rank is good or not, but I don't care, I like written exams better.

l9scl.png
nTRcA.png

I don't care about your festival, Selphie.

f8LT2.png
sGTCO.png

An unknown woman appears from nowhere and starts begging for attention.

iNysm.png
3xUjl.png

Squall is gifted and learns to dance while stepping on people.

J9pyW.png
WG5yY.png

Quistis is jealous and wants her date with Squall. What place could be more romantic than an indoor monster-infested jungle?

AqpKn.png
ZgPl7.png

This dangerous monster appears with a huge amount of HP.

vaoqM.png
qResZ.png

Sleep+Double Blizzard+Card takes care of it.

q3wXj.png
Nz5xl.png

Now Squall can do more damage thanks to Strength Junction!

eBk9n.png
qY0Dk.png

Talk to the wall, the wall always listens &#9835;
Mysterious woman is in danger, let's save her.

M3QHI.png
kNyRX.png

The stone monsters are strong against physical attacks, but we can use some free magics on them. After being defeated, they give some interesting items.

u5XPe.png
HsIdT.png

And we get a skill that transform items into life spells. The woman is saved and we can go to bed.

zbuSG.png
5BBJr.png

Thanks to the monsters gifts we can get 80 Blizzagas. The Junction system is soooo exploitable. Say goodbye to Squall, he has to sleep after this long day with boat jet lag and all those things.

Jucksalbe

Banned
1jcrgl.jpg

You think it's hard to hide something in that bikini? So does Layle.

Sold! Well, honestly, I still haven't played neither Crystal Bearers nor Chocobo's Dungeon for Wii, so I just ordered them both.

I really like the menus in FF IX. Just seeing those makes me want to replay the game.

There's a self-imposed time limit in the cave. I think 20 minutes is a good amount. It's hot in here...
I usually choose 10 minutes. Makes it easier to match the time as close as possible. But you also said you don't care much for the ranking you get later, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

We learn one of the most useful skills in the game. Card lets us kill enemies (not human/robots), recieve AP and don't gain EXP and win awesome cards.
Are you doing a low level run?

Xaekid

ffxi_20120410_202317.png

Wrapping up San d'Oria missions.

ffxi_20120412_145559.png

Cait Sith and Lilisette (Wings of the Goddess Storyline).

ffxi_20120403_193354.png

It all began with a crystal (or stone, whatever). Voidwatch Storyline final area: Provenance.

ffxi_20120318_164613.png

Shinryu FFXI style.

ffxi_20120408_211517.png

Heaven's Tower (Windurst) from the Ferry.

ffxi_20120425_191406.png

The amazing manticore circus.

ffxi_20120211_205315.png

Zogbog begs for mercy one more time.

ffxi_20120425_221338.png

Zeid explains the Antica/Galkan conflict.

Heropon

Are you doing a low level run?

No, the EXP bit is useful for low level runs, but I want to get energy crystals easily later, so I don't care about levelling up to level 40. However, I try to transform enemies whenever I can, I love early access to certain items/magic.

Vivi and Puck climb the rooftops to get to the play.

6aDoq
rFylo.jpg
Mqbcf.jpg

The play starts. And here is everyone's favorite (not really) queen: Brahne!

fwFPL.jpg
hxqYx.jpg

The princess doesnt really care about all of this ):

ts3r5.jpg
TBlTh.jpg
AwJwS.jpg
JN3Ke.jpg
fWvMb.jpg

A battle ensues where you can use fake magic for special effects.

slk8L.jpg
U1qbC.jpg
nAsKa.jpg

The upcoming minigame is a great way (and fun) to make some cash.

wVHj0.jpg
hcIrO.jpg
SdBhU.jpg

Thusly our heroes arrive in the castle, dressed up as guards.

ZRZBc.jpg

Then they meet a hooded woman. Zidane is such a womaniser.

lHip8.jpg
pVYiM.jpg
i1WDe.jpg

Meanwhile, Zorn and Thorn find out the princess escaped. I love this duo.

lkjtv.jpg
1gu0N.jpg
Jtigp.jpg

Steiner does not like Beatrix. The queen orders 'Captain... uh... Steiner' to find Garnet.

9kKOI.jpg

Hmmm...

z5lAK.jpg
ZeWGj.jpg
rITKY.jpg

Hey, look!

gJ0fY.jpg
9MJE0.jpg
2JN3Y.jpg

Garnet climbs on top the castle wall... and plummets down. Giving Steiner a heartattack in the process.

eGDHa.jpg
3d9zS.jpg
BZh0h.jpg

They land safely. Or, well, sort of. Steiner to the rescu-ooooh!

kHnIX.jpg
UDNfv.jpg
uxjTs.jpg
ZKNLT.jpg

Zidane finally catches up to Garnet.

C2wVv.jpg
CTyVs.jpg
7rg02.jpg

Heh. They make their way through the engine room, but Steiner is in their way.

vOdso.jpg
wvz8G.jpg
ZYo2A.jpg

Remember oglops?

D9ISi.jpg
JuNB7.jpg

Now our valiant heroes make their way to the main stage. Steiner, u so silly.

1LJWF.jpg
7yjer.jpg
PkhxU.jpg

Priceless. Meanwhile Vivi almost gets caught. He escapes onto the main stage, where he sets Garnet on fire.

fxXLL.jpg
gHfaU.jpg
fKdbJ.jpg

Bah, foiled again! Once the queen finds out what's going on, all hell breaks loose.

Urc6d.jpg
Kv8R7.jpg
GnmdE.jpg
MgLmg.jpg
tWKm5.jpg
SGb5S.jpg

A battle with a bomb ensues. And we all know what bombs do!

Szxsx.jpg
Xeszd.jpg
R2nbr.jpg

Get away!

YSw3G.jpg
wxkUS.jpg

The ship crashes into the woods.

AGMZm.jpg
ndn6k.jpg
GE8v5.jpg

ATE gets introduced. This way the player can view what happens elsewhere. I love this feature.

Fhvps.jpg
WkSZs.jpg

Uhoh...

Let's save, kupo!

TgpkK.jpg
3jTXM.jpg

FFIX has my favorite intro of them all. It's so silly, charming, funny, exciting, fast-paced and the music is excellent. Next up, saving a princess!

EpFkL.jpg

The heroes reflect on all the junk and stuff that's happened to them.

rMNML.jpg

Jagran catches up to you just as you finish the 2nd resurrection and Goldenrod sacrifices her own life to keep you from turning into a crystal. I have to admit that she has been the coolest summoner ever because of her ability to open portals at will. It's just too bad that she didn't portal Jagran's attack back at him.

CG6XC.jpg

Turns out that you just can't run around murdering people like in the good ole days. The princess and Belle team up to bring Jegran down. There's a great scene that follows where Layle almost turns Jegran into bean paste.

pSoZe.jpg

The king was turned to red crystal and only Jegran can turn him back. Or so the princess thought. Instead he uses the chance to power up and and take off with the ship he used to imprison the king. He also tries to kill off the princess, but she is a crystal bearer as well. Not being able to turn her into a red hunk of crystal, he does the next best thing.

jIP8e.jpg

He tosses the princess overboard and she starts to fall to her death. This fall is so incredible that it starts generating plot holes right and left.

8OSUr.jpg

Layle shows off his flying skills, a gift of the plot holes.

dHeQN.jpg

Cid compressed time to make steam engines for his plane. I believe the princess is saved at this point. The plot holes play tricks with my memories.

RsEhR.jpg

Layle gets a power boost from being so close to massive crystals. At this point crystals are being shoved into every plot hole imaginable.

3iTBC.jpg

Yes, that is a surfboard. Deal with it.

UwjAY.jpg

The lost tribe is back and they are preventing a dooms day spell they cast back in the day from taking out another crystal. Crystals are very important. The will of the crystal, the crystal imperative, the crystal principal. It all makes sense if you're a crystal bearer.

6YLZv.jpg

Jegran has become one with the ship and it's headed towards another crystal. Ideally, if he destroys this crystal, he and the rest of his people will disappear.

qJiVh.jpg

Layle beats Jegran with the help of a lot of waggle controls.

zyutP.jpg

Like many FFs, the main hero some how manages to pull off a flashy move that makes him disappear as a result of killing the main boss.

2CDnY.jpg

The world is safe, but Layle has yet to check in. Kiess goes to lead his people on Pirate boat island, Belle seems to have not spent her reward money on new clothes, and the princess is no longer a crystal bearer.

YLyZ6.jpg

The game ends with a kid loosing their hat on a sea boat. Layle plucks it out of the sky with his powers and returns it to the kid. The screen pans up and we get to see the big pay off.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I received my copy of Chocobo's Dungeon for Wii today. My chocobos are ready, too. :)

pwjIq.png

I will post some screenshots later after I played it some more.

Jucksalbe

Banned
19Jon.png
miXqh.png

Let's get started. Our friends Cid and Chocobo are heading towards a mysterious tower in the desert.

Vd9xA.png
bCslL.png
hiNfy.png

And inside is....the tutorial dungeon! For anyone who doesn't know: this game is basically a (a bit simplified) Rogue-like.

TBAHp.png
65xao.png
7UHqn.png

At the end, we meet our nemesis(?) who, of course, was faster than us and already the stole the treasure.

vY7SN.png
dT0bx.png
3rsPu.png

For whatever reason something goes wrong and we're warped to some unknown location.

VXOcC.png
WpNGi.png

It's the town of Lostime (haha) in Memoria!

0p7Yu.png
Hbp5n.png
NBkFH.png

But then the Bell of Oblivion tolls and Cid forgets just about everything.

tArRL.png

Forgetting is a nice, to forget is a virtue. Too bad that scene didn't come with its own song, it certainly looks like it would.

FaWTJ.png
g2PxG.png

Enter: the heroine who doesn't want to forget and conveniently lives on a farm outside town, just far away enough to not be affected by the "Bell of Oblivion".

tRMBq.png
drJnh.png

So, on to the farm...

YjIoj.png
yoIVv.png

...where we try to speak Chocobo and the heroine leaves again right away.

7mOvr.png
eUfkW.png

Time to mess around. You can leave hoofprints all around. :)

LZxgM.png
J7ha1.png
U3tS3.png

When we return to town, a giant egg falls from the sky.

twsoU.png
Sbn2S.png

It's Super Baby (it's missing its clock, though)!

ax910.png
LI0ja.png
UHEPc.png

But just when the mayor wants to tell us everything about the baby, the bell tolls again and he forgets again. But Super Baby comes to the rescue.

OTw91.png
pcLvo.png
HtZwW.png

We also receive the Brooch of Memories which lets us enter the mind of people and recover their memories.

IGdGO.png
cCajf.png

The first real dungeon!

hdfHY.png
VSVto.png

And the first boss fight. Luckily, he only attacks every second turn, so he's not much of a challenge.

R39FA.png
u05lx.png

Memory get!

MFAC8.png
sDqi8.png

And now the mayor can finally remember....that he's the mayor of the town.

wMybu.png
p6KVY.png
OfvwN.png

When Chocobo returns to the farm strange things happen and moreso strange Moogles appear.

hP22j.png
iaV68.png

But even more important: We get a card case and some cards which means there must be some kind of card game in this game. I'm very much looking forward to this (I actually didn't know about that when I bought the game). :)

klS2I.png
bSSlH.png

But right now, it's Cid's turn to recover his memories. So, Super Baby, you're up!

YYmVM.png
wwCzr.png
ivJEF.png

This dungeon is already a little more complex than the first one. Plus there are monsters that can cast Protect.

sMnfM.png
rEFXc.png

The boss is an oversized Mandragora. This time he can actually attack every turn, so you have to at least watch what you're doing. A couple of special attacks did the trick.

xfPMb.png
Lcbmc.png

Cid is gonna be so glad.

QuEuK.png
Eoj1g.png

He then remembers about the land of Memoria and his missing grandfather who (surprisingly) wanted to build an airship before he disappeared.

vRNLD.png

A new enemy appears (and likely the heroine's sister...).

pOmgX.png
LPDw2.png

Chapter 2, the baby's missing. But that will have to wait for another time.

So far I really like the game. I'm especially happy about all the new (and sometimes original) versions of old Final Fantasy songs. Some of those can be found here.

Sorry for the overlong post, I hope all you people that just scrolled over my post aren't too annoyed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Someone please tell me grinding all this gil in Chapter 13 instead of slamming to the ending is worth it to save myself the grief of turtle farming once I get the cash to get a Dragoon Lance x 2 the items needed to upgrade them to max and a trapzohedron to transform them to max to get 6 traps from disassembling them in the long run. >_>

laika09

Someone please tell me grinding all this gil in Chapter 13 instead of slamming to the ending is worth it to save myself the grief of turtle farming once I get the cash to get a Dragoon Lance x 2 the items needed to upgrade them to max and a trapzohedron to transform them to max to get 6 traps from disassembling them in the long run. >_>

If you're interested in the platinum trophy/maxing out your t3 weapons, grinding up gil to get the extra traps is a waste of time. I think I ended up with 10 or 15 extra trapezohedrons by the time I had the gil for Fortune Hunter. Finish the game.

Unrelated note: FF4CC looks absolutely gorgeous on the PSVita screen (with bilinear filtering off). If you like that game and were on the fence about it (and $30 is admittedly steep for a 20 year old game), get it. You won't regret it.

TheSeks

If you're interested in the platinum trophy/maxing out your t3 weapons, grinding up gil to get the extra traps is a waste of time. I think I ended up with 10 or 15 extra trapezohedrons by the time I had the gil for Fortune Hunter. Finish the game.

Well, I'm grinding Gil and a little CP to max these secondary jobs out to stage 4 or whatever before I finish and then have to max the primaries AND secondaries at stage 10. Yes, I'm insane. But it seems like these perfumes are the best source of gil in FF13 so damn it I want to make sure I have the money and it seems like having the two Lances break to six stones is less a headache than killing turtles that may or may not one shot me. :|

laika09

Well, I'm grinding Gil and a little CP to max these secondary jobs out to stage 4 or whatever before I finish and then have to max the primaries AND secondaries at stage 10. Yes, I'm insane. But it seems like these perfumes are the best source of gil in FF13 so damn it I want to make sure I have the money and it seems like having the two Lances break to six stones is less a headache than killing turtles that may or may not one shot me. :|

Once a couple roles are maxed, turtles become pretty easy. You can kill them in 90-120 seconds with a good strategy. At that stage, farming them for gold ingots becomes substantially better gil than perfumes, and you get trapezohedrons without going out of your way. (Ingots sell for like 200,000 vs the 8,000? you get from perfumes, and drop rate over time is not vastly different.)

You can beat the game pretty easily even with your base weapons and not touching the customization system at all, so it all comes down to how you want to play the game or what's fun for you. Personally, I'd just max out as many weapons as I have traps and then forget about it until later.

Esura

Banned
Wow, FFXI looks awesome and I want to play now.

Since my PC is garbage would it be cool to play it on my 360 once I get a HDD?

TheSeks

Once a couple roles are maxed, turtles become pretty easy. You can kill them in 90-120 seconds with a good strategy. At that stage, farming them for gold ingots becomes substantially better gil than perfumes, and you get trapezohedrons without going out of your way. (Ingots sell for like 200,000 vs the 8,000? you get from perfumes, and drop rate over time is not vastly different.)

You can beat the game pretty easily even with your base weapons and not touching the customization system at all, so it all comes down to how you want to play the game or what's fun for you. Personally, I'd just max out as many weapons as I have traps and then forget about it until later.

I guess. I mean I've beaten the turtles before. It's just them stomping and one shotting my leader at times that pisses me off and makes me not want to go that route if I can help it. :/

Wow, FFXI looks awesome and I want to play now.

Since my PC is garbage would it be cool to play it on my 360 once I get a HDD?

I don't see why not. It's cross-platform isn't it? You don't need to pay for XBL Gold to run it either.

TheSeks

Say what? You dont?

It's an MMORPG with a subscription, so no you don't need XBL Gold to play it. Just like PSU. You do need XBL Gold to play other non FFXI/PSU titles though.

So silver is fine, but you'll be paying a monthly fee like other FFXI players, obviously.

Esura

Banned
It's an MMORPG with a subscription, so no you don't need XBL Gold to play it. Just like PSU. You do need XBL Gold to play other non FFXI/PSU titles though.

So silver is fine, but you'll be paying a monthly fee like other FFXI players, obviously.

Yes! Now I need a HDD (I have the arcade) and the game. I'll cancel Netflix and I can easily fit this game in my budget.

Would getting this copy do?

$%28KGrHqJHJEoE88d-ioFgBPdVb+f%28fQ~~60_12.JPG

TheSeks

Yes! Now I need a HDD (I have the arcade) and the game. I'll cancel Netflix and I can easily fit this game in my budget.

Would getting this copy do?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzYwWDQ4MA==/$%28KGrHqJHJEoE88d-ioFgBPdVb+f%28fQ~~60_12.JPG

I think there's one more expansion after that, which you wouldn't be able to access. I think that's possible to use though. Can't say. Never played the MMOs.

Esura

Banned
I think there's one more expansion after that, which you wouldn't be able to access. I think that's possible to use though. Can't say. Never played the MMOs.

Awww....

Eh I found it for 39 bucks online so it should be ight. I still have a lot to go through. I probably could transfer my character to PC once I get upgraded too.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
She was the protagonist in FFXIII. No, it wasn't Vanille. Being protagonist isn't the same as being the narrator.
Other than narrating, let's see what Vanille is...
She's one of the only two truly relevant characters in the party, the other being Fang.
She is deeply related with past events, more so than any other character, because Vanille actually determines how the entire story starts.
Vanille is responsible for gathering the main party together.
Vanille's character and development is directly tied, and goes hand-on-hand, to how the main story events turn out and develop.
Vanille's and Fang's main powers are key to the plot, and directly influence how the villain helps developing/ shaping the plot. All other l'cie are random units for plan b purposes.
Vanille and Fang conclude the story, and save the world from Orphan and from Lightning.
Lightning gets declared as heroine by Etro, the name that Motomu Toriyama goes by in his own universe.
Motomu Toriyama can't write.
And Lightning is the heroine because he said so.

And why is being a protagonist somehow a requirement for appearing "everywhere"?
It isn't, that's why Lightning isn't. "Appearing everywhere" is one of the very few reasons of why Lightning might feel like a main character. But even that changes halfway, when Fang and Vanille steal the spotlight and the main plot actually gets to move forwards, beyond the whole "character drama" filler.

Awww....

Eh I found it for 39 bucks online so it should be ight. I still have a lot to go through. I probably could transfer my character to PC once I get upgraded too.

Your best bet is to buy a used copy of the game for 360, then grab the current ultimate edition on Steam. By buying the steam copy you'll get your playonline codes and access to all the expansions, and you can use those codes on the used 360 disc.

Otherwise you're going to overpay for a new 360 copy and then have to buy expansions on top of that.

Entropia

No One Remembers
After much delay I picked up my FF7 game over the weekend. I did the whole Shinra tower bit and finally left Midgar. I have to say, the whole scene when you decide to leave is very... haunting.

When I think back to when I first played it, I thought "Man is this entire game in this city? It's huge!" When I finally left the city I was in utter shock.

I then went and did the incredibly boring flashback (thank God I found the pSX emulator).

Top Bottom