• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Jackpot

Banned
Would be nice if once in a blue moon the game spawned an empty Stryker or T-34, but with zero chance of finding an ammo or fuel truck, just to see how it disrupts the game world.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm so on the fence. I get the feeling I'd play it once or twice then hang it up. Especially with D3 looming ahead, and my League of Legends addiction.

Phandy

Just about to jump on the UK1 hosted by RoaR server if anyone else is aboot.

I might be playing later, me and my friends play on UK1 when we can.

We had a game yesterday where we were at the smaller of the 2 airfields, hunting somebody down who was making a load of noise. My friend shot him and it turned out it was Roar himself, and wow did he have some good shit on him.

Also I had THE best spawn yesterday. I got into a fire fight with a bandit, as soon as I spawned, killed him without taking hit. He had just spawned, so that meant double starting supplies.
Literally 2 minutes later, I came across a sniper sat on a hill watching over Churno. Put about 5 bullets in the back of his head. Open his backpack.... the motherload. Full CZ550, tonnes of a ammo, about 12 cooked meats. A full AlicePack filled with pills, bandages and more ammo. So good.
I think I'm actually still on that character. Still survior too becuase i have killed about 4-5 bandits, but really I'm a bandit too, haha.

Haven't played a game like this since Dark Souls, probably spent about 7 hours playing yesterday with my friends - we just go around as a bandit pack hunting people down.(excluding DOTA2 :/)

Apparently there is a 100player server up now too.

Is this fun if you don't have a bunch of people you know to play with? The videos look amazing but they mostly show groups of five players or more, and none of my friends are interested in playing this yet.

I'm not sure there is much appeal to playing alone. I mean you can, but it really begs the question why? Zombie apocalypse or not, IMO the main focus of this game is surviving humans. And playing alone will get you killed 80% of the time no questions asked. It's only when you are with someone else that people will know that you are willing to co-op.

Someone mentioned earlier spawning in the woods surround by essentially lifeless beings standing around. That shit is scarier than zombies!

Split into, I think, 12-15 servers. They just add Aussie ones last night. 50 and 35 max count. Almost always full but you can get in if you get lucky, spam enter, or play during a game time night hour.

That happened to me, may have been my post you're referencing. It happened again yesterday when i first spawned. I don't know what it was, but I was able to get gear off of one of them like I mentioned. They were definitely non-player, the label was glitched.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I might be playing later, me and my friends play on UK1 when we can.

We had a game yesterday where we were at the smaller of the 2 airfields, hunting somebody down who was making a load of noise. My friend shot him and it turned out it was Roar himself, and wow did he have some good shit on him.

Also I had THE best spawn yesterday. I got into a fire fight with a bandit, as soon as I spawned, killed him without taking hit. He had just spawned, so that meant double starting supplies.
Literally 2 minutes later, I came across a sniper sat on a hill watching over Churno. Put about 5 bullets in the back of his head. Open his backpack.... the motherload. Full CZ550, tonnes of a ammo, about 12 cooked meats. A full AlicePack filled with pills, bandages and more ammo. So good.
I think I'm actually still on that character. Still survior too becuase i have killed about 4-5 bandits, but really I'm a bandit too, haha.

Haven't played a game like this since Dark Souls, probably spent about 7 hours playing yesterday with my friends - we just go around as a bandit pack hunting people down.(excluding DOTA2 :/)

Apparently there is a 100player server up now too.
Let me know when you're playing today.

I managed to get on last night, died after trying to run from like 30 zombies, one of them finally caught up and broke my leg and then I got ate.

Arucardo

That happened to me, may have been my post you're referencing. It happened again yesterday when i first spawned. I don't know what it was, but I was able to get gear off of one of them like I mentioned. They were definitely non-player, the label was glitched.

What I gathered from hearing Rocket talk about the mod during a stream last night is that that's the actual character you spawn as but it then transfers to another character, that's also why chat is broken because all the characters are at the same place.

It's done that way so the server has time to save your character when you disconnect and to avoid item duplicating exploits. He's trying to figure out a way to change this and get chat working properly. This is where being a BIS dev will come in handy since he can ask for help or discuss it with people who made the engine.

I'm sure BIS has taken notice since Combined Ops is almost in the top 10 steam sales charts now (11 right now).

IMACOMPUTA

Can somebody please help me with a problem i am having?
Whenever i try to join a server i am instantly "Kicked from game" without explaination.

Could somebody join the server and tell me what is says i was kicked for ? I'm pretty sure it says in-game in the chatbox, even though it doesn't let me know.

Anybody willing to do that right now? PM me if you can ! Thanks so much.

Arucardo

Can somebody please help me with a problem i am having?
Whenever i try to join a server i am instantly "Kicked from game" without explaination.

Could somebody join the server and tell me what is says i was kicked for ? I'm pretty sure it says in-game in the chatbox, even though it doesn't let me know.

Anybody willing to do that right now? PM me if you can ! Thanks so much.

Have you tried re-installing BattleEye? it's their anti-cheat client

Also, make sure you don't have other mods running besides @dayz .

IMACOMPUTA

Have you tried re-installing BattleEye? it's their anti-cheat client

Yes I have. I have tried via steam, and have even gone to the battle eye website and downloaded the newest .dll and added it to the battleeye directory in the arma 2 folder.

Would you be willing to just go in a server and wait to see my kicked message?

Arucardo

Yes I have. I have tried via steam, and have even gone to the battle eye website and downloaded the newest .dll and added it to the battleeye directory in the arma 2 folder.

Would you be willing to just go in a server and wait to see my kicked message?

Ok sure, just pm me the server and stuff.

Kritz

Banned
Why it's a bad idea to fire a Lee-Enfield in Elektro

33DFCCF3A6C1D90EEB815B1213FB997844EEE9DC

(sorry for the garbage Steam screenshots)

What I gathered from hearing Rocket talk about the mod during a stream last night is that that's the actual character you spawn as but it then transfers to another character, that's also why chat is broken because all the characters are at the same place.

It's done that way so the server has time to save your character when you disconnect and to avoid item duplicating exploits. He's trying to figure out a way to change this and get chat working properly. This is where being a BIS dev will come in handy since he can ask for help or discuss it with people who made the engine.

I'm sure BIS has taken notice since Combined Ops is almost in the top 10 steam sales charts now (11 right now).

Whoops, I guess I killed a spawning player then huh? Well now I know for sure...

Kritz

Banned
What server? I'll try and 'save' you.:p

Yuh huh, I'm sure you'd love to liberate me
of my supplies

I already decided to end it all and jumped off to my death. Left all my weapons and gear on the roof and told people if it clears up there's some loot there. Then took a dive onto the pavement.

Turns out a two story fall wasn't enough to kill me, only break my ankles. The next half a minute was watching myself be eaten by zombies while phasing in and out of conscious.

abracadaver

Is someone playing this with a radeon 7850 ? Can you play this in 1080p, high detail and 60fps with it ?

This mod makes me want to go back to pc gaming and Im already looking at what to buy.

Also do they plan to add gore to this mod ? Shooting limbs off and stuff ?

raphier

Banned
Yuh huh, I'm sure you'd love to liberate me
of my supplies

I already decided to end it all and jumped off to my death. Left all my weapons and gear on the roof and told people if it clears up there's some loot there. Then took a dive onto the pavement.

Turns out a two story fall wasn't enough to kill me, only break my ankles. The next half a minute was watching myself be eaten by zombies while phasing in and out of conscious.

That sucks.

Also do they plan to add gore to this mod ? no Shooting limbs off and stuff ? no
you are overestimating engine's modern capabilities.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Is someone playing this with a radeon 7850 ? Can you play this in 1080p, high detail and 60fps with it ?

This mod makes me want to go back to pc gaming and Im already looking at what to buy.

Also do they plan to add gore to this mod ? Shooting limbs off and stuff ?

I think 60 fps is unachievable in Arma games. As for limbs the current version of the engine doesn't support even ragdolls, Arma III will support that. I also wouldn't recommend buying Radeon card because they run this game worse than Nvidia.

Slair

I'm having a hard time trusting people in this game. I've stalked a couple groups trying to feel them out and find the right time to approach them. I then get spotted by a sniper unrelated to the groups i'm following, because i cant see the sniper and the dirt is kicking up around me i run into the woods to hide then come back at the city from a different angle. I very rarely see anybody, the city i'm beside at the moment seems dead except for a lone sniper (regardless of which server i'm on) who takes pot shots at me from his vantage point. I tried to head inland for a bit and got completely lost in some hilly area and had to head back to the coast because i was low on supplies and i couldn't find any houses etc.

Truant

For those of you who played it, what are the main things they need to fix or improve to make this worth paying for?

For the videos I have a few pointers, but like I said, I haven't actually played it:

Visual/mood stuff:

Make the player characters look better, more choices. Regular people in regular clothing.
More realistic weapon places, you have to search closets, containers, etc.

Mechanics:
Some sort of RPG system to make it more rewarding to survive for long periods of time.
More responsive combat, right now it looks like zombies don't react to hits. Makes the guns feel weak. They should feel really powerful, especially since they're a rare commodity.

Enco

For those of you who played it, what are the main things they need to fix or improve to make this worth paying for?

For the videos I have a few pointers, but like I said, I haven't actually played it:

Visual/mood stuff:

Make the player characters look better, more choices. Regular people in regular clothing.
More realistic weapon places, you have to search closets, containers, etc.

Mechanics:
Some sort of RPG system to make it more rewarding to survive for long periods of time.
More responsive combat, right now it looks like zombies don't react to hits. Makes the guns feel weak. They should feel really powerful, especially since they're a rare commodity.
Yea quite a few things to do. I haven't played it but from watching stuff:

- The animations are ridiculously bad
- The lag
- Possibly the menu system? Looks pretty ugly
- The huge amount of glitches

raphier

Banned
I think this mod needs to become standalone before people start finding flaws in Arma. What makes this mod interesting to me is that they only added zombies to the game to Arma scenario. People are playing arma and they don't even know it thanks to zombies.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
I think this mod needs to become standalone before people start finding flaws in Arma. What makes this mod interesting to me is that they only added zombies to the game to Arma scenario. People are playing arma and they don't even know it thanks to zombies.

I think the cat is definitely out of the bag as far as finding faults in Arma goes (i do love arma though)

And they didn't just add Zombies, they added hunger, limited supplies and took away a whole bunch of stuff too. It's fantastic that people are enjoying this mod even in it's current early state, i hope BIS and the guy who started it can make good of the potential.

Arucardo

- The lag
You just described Arma II, lol. There's only so much the DayZ guys can do about these, especially the menu system and animations.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

- The lag

welcome to arma

Phandy

- The lag

Its such a shame that Arma is probably one of the only games that this mod could run on.
Because it means you have to put up with all the janky shit that comes with it. Glitches, awful movement and gun use, dodgy inventory systems, and the terrible little menu system that pops up to use anything.

I have heard though that the creator, the guy who works for BIS, made an off hand comment that the mod runs pretty well on Arma3. So fingers crossed it will be appearing on that, soon after release, maybe built into the game.

fanboi

Banned
Its such a shame that Arma is probably one of the only games that this mod could run on.
Because it means you have to put up with all the janky shit that comes with it. Glitches, awful movement and gun use, dodgy inventory systems, and the terrible little menu system that pops up to use anything.

I have heard though that the creator, the guy who works for BIS, made an off hand comment that the mod runs pretty well on Arma3. So fingers crossed it will be appearing on that, soon after release, maybe built into the game.

Well , the janky inventory etc is, imo, an aspect that make the DayZ mod even more intense ^^

KKRT00

I've started here and head to the Bor.

Unfortunately Bor was completely empty. No zombies and no loot except for empty canister. Even water pump didnt work and i was thirsty as hell. After like 15-20 minutes of checking every corner of this village i went to north-east, because i found going uphill interesting ;p
Unfortunately there was nothing there for a long time, except small village that dont even have a name.
There was no loot either, but plenty of zombies. When passed it through there were zombies near the road and i though i'm a in safe distance from them, so i just run.
That was mistake, hey saw me and started chasing. I took too many hits just for two zombies and spray too many ammo [1.5 of clip], but i panicked a little, because they were fast as hell :p I lost almost 3k blood ;\

I continued my trip to the north to get to the Kozlovka. I passed through some barricades made from junk and vehicles and then saw two barns with no zombies nearby. First though: 'Was it just looted or what', so i was cautious. Fortunately i hit a jackpot. There was pepsi [finally something to drink], can of beans, winchester with some ammo, Lee Enfield with 4 ammo clips, Sniper Rifle with two ammo clips and Crossbow with like 8 bolts.

I picked up Lee Enfield first and then was wondering if i should exchange it for Winchester when i heard steps. I've pointed gun without even loading it to the guy who just walked up. Asked if he's friendly and he typed that he is, so left him alone. He search other side and then left to second barn.

When I've was searching through GAF for post about guns, i heard shots. The guy was killing zombies in Kozlovka it seems. After 5-7 minutes of looting and deciding what to take, i went out and head there too and i saw that he was running from Kozlovka to me. That was the same guy, but with friend with Bandit skin.
I've saluted, cause he was friendly, so his friend should be too.

They were ok for a second, but still behind me, so i was looking on them whole time. They've switched to rifles, so i started strafing to see if they were targeting me, they were.
Finally after, i dont know, maybe one minute of hesitation they've fired and i've fired back with Lee Enfield.
Both dropped to the ground after one shot, so i just finished them in the head. Unfortunately they hit me too and my blood level dropped to 2500, so i've bandaged myself, ate painkillers and whatever food i had in inventory. I've passed out two times, but fortunately they were very wealthy, so i've just ate what they've had and got my blood level to 5300 :)

Now i'm wealthy as fuck, just look :)

Dead motherfuckers

tPyKV.jpg
LCF6F.jpg

Dat loot :)

oqaIV.jpg
u6BI1.jpg

==
Trip shots

SilSN.jpg
ZAsHZ.jpg

Fvsy1.jpg
B8jpF.jpg

NFlg0.jpg

And Route

RObOX.jpg

Next stop will be probably in Zelenogorsk, after i hunt for some animals to get my blood level over 8000.

Still making my way inland, through a forest and over many hills I ended up at a hunter's hide overlooking a village, found an AK with a couple mags up there, good on food but need water pretty badly, the place is overrun by walkers, I'll d/c now and wait for nightfall before venturing down.

I fucking love this game.

Vostro

So yesterday night I logged in to my player and found a dead player nearby. He had a map, binocular, watch, compass, and a rifle so I grabbed all of them. Few minutes later I was raped by a bunch of zombies and died. FUUUUUU!

Top Bottom