• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Binary Domain's set-up is so retarded. The game doesn't detect if you're using a keyboard and mouse and provide you with the correct display for keys, you have to set it to display the proper ui elements in a drop down menu in a separate launcher that you can't access once you've started the game.

Man, I wish I had bought a PC version of Vanquish instead of this. Binary Domain is such a bog standard cover-centric third person shooter saddled with horrendously stupid A.I. teammates that won't shut up and frequently walk in your line of fire and blame you for their idiocy. The whole voice communication thing is pretty shit too, you give your AI teammates verbal orders or take these frequent breaks in the game to interact with them via one word answers and build up their trust so they'll better follow your orders. I find myself having to frequently repeat words because the game simply doesn't understand me. It's a pretty shit answer if the solution is to simply disable the voice communication. Your A.I. teammates also don't shut up, the amount of banter is on par with Blades of Time and it's super annoying.

I bought Binary Domain, Ridge Racer and Ys: Oath in Felghana because I wanted to speak with my wallet and show Japanese publishers there's a market for their games on PC, but damn, I wish this was Vanquish instead. I wouldn't recommend buying BD for more than 10$.

Ledsen

I love the previous games but i went in with low expectations because of what ive heard, so i guess that helps.

that iraq shooter part was fuckin embarrasing and i almost gave up, but surprisingly enough there hasnt been any more of those

Splinter Cell: Conviction is one of the very best Splinter Cell games. But not the single player campaign. Nope, that's pretty bland. No, what I'm talking about is the Deniable Ops mode (single player or co-op) on Realistic Difficulty. Same type of gameplay as Chaos Theory: big, open levels where you use your wits and stealth skills to clear the level. Amazing, amazing gameplay. I even made a thread about this amazing mode.

Is there any estimate of the number of Steam users having access to the beta of Dota2 and CS:GO? Indeed, the stats page always surprises me: there is about 5 million concurrent users, and 50 thousands play Dota2, 60k play CS, 55k play CS:S, yet less than 7 hundreds play CS:GO.

Edit: CS:CZ accounts for about 5k users.

50,000 people have access to CS:GO, according to a tweet by CS:GO_DEV a few weeks ago.

I found CS:GO in my library last night. It could have been there for days, as there was no indication that I was accepted and I rarely scroll through my library. I feel special. :p

Kabouter

Cleared my backlog of yet another game, Singularity. I have to say, this was quite a surprise. I picked this up during a sale on a whim, and thought it'd just be some time travel monster shooter, and little more. Instead it's reminiscent of BioShock in many ways, except obviously a lower budget production. The game starts in a considerably less impressive fashion than BioShock does, and certainly fails to create a world as intriguing and engaging as BioShock. I love worlds I can marvel at from time to time, Singularity offers but few such moments. I feel like being limited to just the fictional island of Katorga-12 might work for the game's story and what not, but when moving between times, I prefer to see a 'real' world change rather than some isolated research station. The game starts showing its strengths quickly however. Gunplay is very good, as you would expect from a Raven Software game, and the game creates an eerie atmosphere that always leaves you a little on edge, especially in the beginning of the game.

The game really starts to shine though when its main gimmick is made available to you, the 'Time Manipulation Device', which allows you to either age or renew objects and people amongst other abilities. It's a lot of fun playing around with it, and some of the puzzles they give you based on it are actually very good and much better than you'd find in most FPS games. There's also the ability to travel to 1955 and back to 2010 at certain points during the game, which they could have made somewhat more use of, but is still quite interesting. I'd also have liked more 'big' moments of restoring objects. At certain points in the game, you can use the TMD to restore entire bridges and even a ship, those moments are great, and I would have liked to have seen a few more of them.

In terms of story, I thought it was great interesting and had some pretty good ideas. I would have liked to have seen a bit more character interaction and a few more different characters in general. Other than you, I can only think of four real characters off-hand, a bit light. I also loved the propaganda films early on that showed you what the world was like/how it had changed, I wish there were more of them throughout the game. Lastly, I want to mention the fact that where most games in my experience get weaker towards the end, Singularity only improved, and ended it all with a choice between three equally excellent endings.

On the whole, I was pleasantly surprised by this game. There are a few flaws, and there is definitely a lot of potential left here, but I really enjoyed myself through the whole thing. Glad I picked this up, and it's a shame this bombed so very hard. 7.5/10

Patriot2

Banned
^Raven's always made solid shooters so that's not a big surprise, you should also check out the new Wolfenstein its actually better then expected :)

Baha

The Haunted: Hells Reach is $6.78 at Gamersgate and is steam redeemable. Anybody own this game who can give impressions? I'm somewhat interested.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
So weird. Aquanox 2 has a 59% Meta average, but PC Gamer (which I trust) is at the top with an 87%.

I liked what I played by the time it came out. Like a space fighter game with a mission structure and cool upgrade possibilities for your ship. Story is delivered through animated portraits talking to each other in various locations. I loved it as a kid lol

kami_sama

The Haunted: Hells Reach is $6.78 at Gamersgate and is steam redeemable. Anybody own this game who can give impressions? I'm somewhat interested.

It's one of the games I have in my backlog. Only thing I know is that is has a metacritic of 61.

Amneisac

Singularity loses huge points for the PC FOV. It's basically unplayable for me. There is a workaround program you can run to fix it, but it totally messes up the gun models and things look all wonky.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Singularity loses huge points for the PC FOV. It's basically unplayable for me. There is a workaround program you can run to fix it, but it totally messes up the gun models and things look all wonky.

I just started playing Wolfenstein, and the FOV is way too low as well. The game seems decent so far...the intro level felt like Call of Duty with supernatural elements (heavily scripted, progress blocking chats with NPCs), but I'm sure it'll get more interesting now that it's opened up.

Levyne

Banned
I've played through Wolfenstein (360), thought it was okay, not great. I thought the hub was a little weird but also made the game play a little differently than every other fps.

Maybe I'll grab Singularity some time down the road.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea Singularity was a lot of fun, but that's Raven for you. I don't think it's in their DNA to make a bad game.

Salsa

Stacking is cool, at first i loved it but after 4.3 hours i'll stick with "its good, not great".

Absolutely love the art style, the humor and the music, as with any doublefine title.

Problem with it is that it gets a bit repetitive and more of a game of trying to figure out multiple solutions to issues that (at least so far) tend to be really far fetched. Game should provide more hints in a natural way (characters mentioning something and whatnot, its great when that happens). It isnt really fun when you end up stacking into everything and trying everything until you get the right outcome.

Sanic

I just started playing Wolfenstein, and the FOV is way too low as well. The game seems decent so far...the intro level felt like Call of Duty with supernatural elements (heavily scripted, progress blocking chats with NPCs), but I'm sure it'll get more interesting now that it's opened up.

Wolfenstein is great, keep at it. I personally felt the gunplay was fantastic, and the levels will open up a bit more as you progress.

Sysgen

I did this and it works.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

There is a sweet spot between wonky weapon models and a console FOV. Play around with it a bit. Tons of games have that issue when you have to go fix what devs lacked the foresight to. MW3 is an excellent example of this.

Zimbardo

Today's DD is Red Nation (2 bucks)

pretty fun game ...but one thing that i've experienced with it is that it 'hitches' from time to time.

example = you'll cause an explosion, and the game will pause for a split second like its loading data off the hard drive, and then continue on.

it happens randomly, and i have more than enough PC to power the game ...so lack of power isn't the issue. its gotta be the game's engine, because i did read one online review where they stated the same issue ...so its not just me.

annoying when it happens, because the game is pretty fun otherwise.

Rufus

So which DeathSpank is worthwhile? Thongs of Virtue seems to have a better Metacritic score, if that matters.
The first two are interchangeable in my mind. If you can stand the humour or even like it go ahead, keep in mind that the second continues the story so play them in order if you care about that.

Stay away from The Baconing. Ron Gilbert wasn't involved any more and it shows. That games lost what humour (whatever you may think of it) and unique character there was and replaced it with dumb cameos from the previous two. The only interesting zone is the gated community for discarded deities at the very end. It's by far the worst one for other reasons as well. Loot became entirely meaningless, for instance. There was some sense of discovery before, completing armour sets felt somewhat meaningful, acquiring new weapons could change your approach to combat. That's entirely absent in Baconing. There's one unique set per zone that you can't really miss, so they might as well have a wardrobe change at the beginning and get it over with. It seems like they screwed up ranged combat as well. Ranged mobs are too strong/numerous. Your ranged weapons don't hit on occasion, because the projectiles don't take the unique curvature of the world into account. Blocking is useless when you're pelted with arrows while other monsters hack away at you up close, because it's impossible to get any hits in without taking damage. The progression is utterly boring and rote. You destroy the thongs (yes, it is dumb) one by one in bacon fires (don't even ask, there's no answer), with the same cutscene playing every time. The big bad doesn't actually show up until the very end, etc.

HoosTrax

Thank god it's most likely going to be Steamworks. Company of Heroes set up was such a clusterfuck.
What? You mean you didn't enjoy downloading two dozen incremental patches via torrent to bring Company of Heroes and Opposing Fronts up to date because Relic didn't have a cumulative patch back then?

I almost want to post a screenshot of my folder containing all of the mini patches just to prove I'm not exaggerating, but I think I deleted it after buying a second copy of the game, this time on Steam.

PaulLFC

I've always wondered why midweek madness starts on Tuesday, yet the weekend deal ends on Monday, leaving a spare day with no "big" sale. I know that's the way it's always worked, but it seems like whoever discounts their games for midweek madness is missing out on a possible extra day of revenue and sales, and as a knock on effect of that Valve is missing out on making more money through increased sales of the games.

My best guess is because Monday isn't "midweek", but is there an official reason why they don't start the sale when the weekend deal finishes?

MRORANGE

I've always wondered why midweek madness starts on Tuesday, yet the weekend deal ends on Monday, leaving a spare day with no "big" sale. I know that's the way it's always worked, but it seems like whoever discounts their games for midweek madness is missing out on a possible extra day of revenue and sales, and as a knock on effect of that Valve is missing out on making more money through increased sales of the games.

My best guess is because Monday isn't "midweek", but is there an official reason why they don't start the sale when the weekend deal finishes?

How about "love mondays" sale?

MNC

Splinter Cell: Conviction is one of the very best Splinter Cell games. But not the single player campaign. Nope, that's pretty bland. No, what I'm talking about is the Deniable Ops mode (single player or co-op) on Realistic Difficulty. Same type of gameplay as Chaos Theory: big, open levels where you use your wits and stealth skills to clear the level. Amazing, amazing gameplay. I even made a thread about this amazing mode.

I remember chaos theory's mp mpde; that was such a gem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom