• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Natetan

I then went and did the incredibly boring flashback (thank God I found the pSX emulator).

I loved the flasback part. Was one of my favorite parts. It really lagged after that until Junon though. I actually really got tired of Midgar after awhile. I guess i knew that the game wouldn't entirely be there, and was just dying to get out. I kind of wish they had broken it up a bit, maybe leave after the first bombing mission, come back and then invade shinra, etc.

But I can accept i have a minority opinion, and I think it's cool that the committed so much time to building up one city. It wouldn't have felt nearly as expansive as it did if you didn't spend so much time there.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Edit: Oh yeah, Schala: How's your playthrough of Mystic Quest coming along? ;)
Ahaha. I started playing it again, so you’ll get updates now. Sorry. I want to finish it off and move on to Beef’s favourite: Final Fantasy IV. Extra bonus: I'm considering playing the SNES version since I haven’t played it in forever. probably the GBA version since I haven't seen anyone mention playing it in the thread summary.

I haven't posted in this thread in aaaaaaages. Anyway, I feel like it’s time to chronicle my latest trip in the dungeon I dislike the most. I think that's partially the reason why I put off playing it. I played this a few weeks ago while procrastinating for finals, so forgive me if my memory is a little sloppy.

Last time on Megaman Legends Gaiden, uh, several months ago (February)...

Megaman decided to go through one of the worst dungeons ever to find useless water that only restores one plant in the town. That plant is used for Cure Potions. You know, those potions that you find lying around EVERYWHERE and you never need to buy them. This is why the next town is better. It sells stuff that you do need. And the music’s better.

Meanwhile, Megaman’s recent ally, Phoebe, moans and groans about how utterly, utterly hopeless it is. *sigh* Phoebe’s a great character in battle, but she’s such a downer.

Moving on, we get to the dungeon that you need to get everything in before you fight the boss in the Ice Pyramid.

9Dsv1.png

epbAg.gif
Dungeon and Waterfall

I never had trouble with Zelda block puzzles or anything like that, but for some reason I could never get past this dungeon when I was younger. I guess I didn’t get how far the character could jump or something. I guess I thought too hard about the puzzle and didn’t think of the obvious approach. Anyway…solutions.

PymK8.png
NleHd.png
22nWj.png
DZZG3.png

(solution to 3rd block is in the lower-right corner of the fourth pic)

We finally get the Heal spell for Megaman. It heals statuses. Because you’re given a ton of White Magic points, and because you have allies who generally have spells you do or do not have, you don’t really need Heal Potions unless you’re somehow low on White Magic points. Be sure to not miss this treasure chest because once you complete the Ice Pyramid, this area becomes inaccessible and you cannot get the Heal spell if you missed it.

And now we fight a Giant Enemy Crab. You may remember it from Japanese history.

CAtXz.gif
Battle 2

32dZU.png

The Giant Enemy Crab’s weak point is axe attacks. The Desert Hags are weak against Fire (I guess they migrated from the Bone Dungeon or something cuz I don’t see any deserts here). Have Phoebe use Fire to get rid of those things, and concentrate on hitting the Crab’s weak point for massive damage with the axe. It curiously isn’t weak against Fire, so have Phoebe use whatever.

qoQZe.png

I think Phoebe’s confused because the crab has rabies.

As a reward, Phoebe gives us the Jumbo Hyper Bomb. She makes Megaman do all the hard work. :(

aku5G.png
qh7o7.png
BFqyX.png

As you can see, the Jumbo Bomb is more powerful than the regular old bomb. But remember that its damage is spread out over a group so it isn’t going to be as powerful as you think it would be. But bear in mind that we will be fighting slime/eye-type enemies in the next dungeon, so it’s pretty helpful… if you isolate the slime/eye enemy from the group.

So… we get into the Ice Pyramid. This dungeon just looks monotonous. I didn't capture a lot of images, so some important stuff is missing.

epbAg.gif
Dungeon of Ice

mO36c.png

Ha ha ha.

You push the switch with your sword.

…take that any way you want.

YHhJy.png

Gosh, why is the Ice Pyramid so empty? The Ice Golem has some pretty shitty security. Actually, this is what the Ice Pyramid looks like when you don’t have the Magic Mirror. You see, the Ice Golem enveloped the place in some magical forcefield to make the players blind to enemies. Thus you don’t know where all the enemies are until you get the Magic Mirror… which happens to be in the dungeon for no reason.

CZVBG.png

For this reason, I think we can conclude that the Ice Golem is an idiot.

Btw, this is what Megaman’s stats are like when he’s at the same level as Phoebe.

9DJ2F.png

With the exception of Defense, Speed, Accuracy, and Evasion, Phoebe is still a better party member than Megaman. The only problem is that she’s just a downer.

I clicked through the “Magic Mirror Get!” message, so I didn’t end up capturing. Basically, when you enter the dungeon, don’t go left, don’t go up… go right, and keep going right. You’ll see a chest with the Magic Mirror. This will make battle preparations go much better, even if the game is easy already.

I like jumping around here for kicks.

ZIUOb.png

And you get to fall down pits. I realized I forgot some armour in that chest.

nyKXT.png
j12Ru.png

Anyway, this is why I don’t like this dungeon:

xvVYN.png

Everything is blue like that village in Earthbound. I have nothing against that portion of the spectrum because I like that portion of spectrum… but everything looks so samey, and I end up tuning the music out after a while.

So. Many. Enemies. Later dungeons have lots of enemies, likely even more, but I guess them being all bunched up like that when I don’t have seeds to my disposal to whack them all in one or two goes tests my patience.

It’s boring. It’s so boring. Bone dungeon is okay because it’s small, and you can jump around anywhere you want. Volcano is cool because the music is great, and you have access to seeds (making Megaman/Benjamin your go-to guy for spellcasting instead of Reuben, who’s your main attacker). And Pazuzu’s Tower is good because in addition to exploring the dungeon, you need to
get the boss to stop moving himself around the tower so you can fight him.

The Ice Pyramid has an interesting mechanic where you need to find the hidden enemies, but you end up finding the Magic Mirror pretty early on if you explore every nook and cranny on the first floor. I guess it would be interesting if this is your first RPG and you don’t know to explore, but I think this issue could have been rectified if they’d put the Magic Mirror later on in the dungeon.

Anyway. Moving on…

That chest houses the Knight Sword. It beats the combined 55 attack on the Butter Knife that Megaman was using before. It also increases his speed a little bit.

x6zQK.png
elLKw.png

That chest I almost forgot has the Noble Armour. Its defensive power is 12 and it increases Evade by 6. It also guards against Water and Poison attacks. I could have used that a few dungeons ago, but no one cares about dear old Megaman here.

YquAd.png
aPmp5.png

In the same room as the sword is the Ice Golem. No, actually, it’s a decoy. Because the Ice Pyramid is full of illusions and tricks. I don’t understand the point of this trickery since you don’t fight the decoy. I guess he really is an idiot.

Y2FUK.png

Let’s get the real Golem!

NjHse.png
L9Tgi.png

I totally do. This journey’s gonna help Megaman get off the moon! Fufufufu…

IT’S NO USE!

mbvpo.png

Let’s slowly make the Ice Golem melt with Fire spells. I forgot to capture the image where he’s intact.

hORUG.png
DcSIH.png
PRGcS.png

STOMP STOMP, dudes.

After the fight, the Water Crystal is restored. And … hey, wait. Don’t you mean “WE will go back to Aquaria”? What’s with this “I” business? Aren’t we a team?

djHE1.png
PmkaN.png

Yeah, bye. Bye FOREVER. Seriously, I hope we never see her again.

Remember to grab the River Coin so you don't have to slog through this dungeon again all by yourself to get it. It unlocks the next area.

tcyVJ.png

After leaving the Ice Pyramid all alone, and thankful that all the monsters were defeated prior to defeating the boss, we step outside.

cYGiQ.png
5q2XX.png

This is precisely why you can’t go to Falls Basin anymore. You’d drown.

Let’s go fight some dudes for an Exit spell.

h6U1e.png

Next time: We get to meet Phoebe’s grandfather. I hope he’s cooler than she is. And then we get to go to the best town in the game. :D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Two for the price of one today. Or something.

You can see the last episode of Megaman Legends Gaiden above this post. Last time on Megaman Legends Gaiden, nothing of importance happened except for making the Water Crystal work again. Phoebe abandons Megaman in the cold, so Megaman goes to fight some dudes for an Exit spell.

Today, Megaman goes to one of the most useless temples ever, the Wintry Temple:

UF8gL.png

Why would you build this if the locals can’t access whatever’s inside? Why make the crest for it, instead of making a straight pathway to the chests? Nothing makes sense in this game. Megaman shouldn’t stay static on an ice block. People build temples in the dumbest places. People build temples with curative items that are inaccessible to the locals. The Ice Golem puts the object that breaks the spell he’s cast inside his very own HQ in plain sight.

Ugh. Plus the temple isn’t very wintry.

Megaman, contemplating why people in this world make some weird decisions, makes his way back to Aquaria. It looks nice now.

qvWqc.png
RxGLm.png

Oh God, not you. “Thanks”? That’s all you have to say to me? Whatever. And this person says your grandpa’s weird.

ejrUX.png

Spencer’s supposed to be underneath the house. Let’s see him by walking through the water.

mTUcp.png
s8cWs.png
JclAs.png

Why are nearly all bodies of water in this game shallow? And this place is huge. It has to be underneath all of Aquaria instead of just Phoebe’s house, because I can’t see the foundation holding up since Spencer’s clearly dug into here pretty deeply. Guy must have a ton of equipment with him, and a bunch of people working on it with him. Drills, a transport module, a table with a bunch of maps and engineering info, land surveyors, etc.

Don’t tell me he’s the only guy in there.

XxOs9.png

Oh my God.

38vRI.png
Lg8iw.png
9qWzT.png
TJ9CC.png

Your granddaughter is annoying, btw. Just saying. I think the shield you’re mentioning sounds pretty cool.

Say, Spencer, how far did you dig down, anyway?

zLz0m.png

Haaaaahahahaha! Alright, I get that the sea dried up or whatever, but man, that’s funny.

sVmPK.png

Are you digging with a spoon?

HfUX1.png

Are you digging with the key?

nnwqV.png

Don’t blame me if your granddaughter’s house falls into this hole.

Time to go back to Focus Tower. On our way through it, we meet Master Roshi on the Flying Nimbus again. He’s voiced by Dr. Light.

wCr5y.png
YeoL1.png
Jia1x.png

Why do you keep switching the topic? And you can’t tell me what to do! (I moved the statue because you won’t be able to access the next area without moving it.)

ZybMM.png

Awesome. Gosh, I wonder if we’ll need this for the next area? :3

Let’s use the shovel-key that Spencer gave us to unlock this chest.

u0ZPO.png
BgjVv.png
2PuIj.png

We get the Venus Shield, the second shield upgrade. Its defensive power is 10, it increases Speed by 5, Attack by 2, and Evade by 6. It also guards against paralysis. This is a Good Thing. We just need to be able to guard against sleep now.

Now let’s unlock the door to the next area with the River Coin.

gcFKR.png

teoI2.png

Brown? I love brown. As you move throughout this area, you experience a bunch of earthquakes. The screen shakes around.

Right out of the gate, we get into a bunch of battlefields. We encounter Amy Rose. I bet she’s mad because we killed Sonic in the Aquaria area.

mmccY.png
jaGeI.png

We also win the Gemini Crest from one of them. That allows us to warp around between towns and certain temples to get items and whatnot.

Onwards to the town! It’s called Fireburg. If it wasn’t apparent before, this area’s element is Fire. I guess they just wanted to pound it into your head.

CAtXz.gif
City of Fire ~ Fireburg

This is probably the best town theme in the entire game.

dnaXL.png

The city of fire and tacky signs that light up!

QcYDJ.png

Eff. Yes.

CAtXz.gif
Rock ‘n’ Roll

The Fireburg Hotel is the best place ever because of the band, but also because it’s a great place to buy Seeds! Finally, you can have all the Seeds in the world! The salesperson looks like he/she is selling them out of a speakeasy, though.

TEQ0M.png

Everyone in Fireburg is so helpful.

GMKSE.png
fSaHB.png

Sora’s here?

ETPM5.png
QEeTX.png

This is the second axe upgrade, the Battle Axe. Its battle power is 62. Much better than the original Axe’s battle power of 9.

Alright, let’s get down to business. The dialogue here is amazing.

eAVqU.png
Amxfm.png
E61or.png

“The volcano seemed odd”. This dialogue seems odd.

zru11.png
mzkF3.png
fHnTE.png

Dad’s stuck behind a boulder. I guess dads aren’t tough.

8S0Zc.png
tQ5g8.png
H8S57.png

I’m joining your party because we need to get some guy to build us a bomb. A Giant Bomb.

Reuben’s stats are as follows:

B5iwI.png
UoMNf.png

pZfAE.png
HyOfa.png
2aXnj.png
Epa9x.png

Those immunities in the stats menu are erroneous. You need to inspect the armour that Reuben’s wearing to have an accurate depiction of what he’s strong against. Coming from Fireburg, he’s strong against fire. He has your old Charm and Steel Helm, which don’t do much. He comes with the Life Spell, and only the Life Spell. This means that Megaman will have to do most of the spellcasting in this area, which is an interesting change of pace. This is why you need to buy some seeds. Megaman’s magic stats aren’t as good as Phoebe’s, so he will need to cast more to beat enemies quickly. Reuben’s Morning Star weapon is basically an Axe, so use it against Turtles, Crabs, Sandworms, etc.

In terms of stats, Reuben’s a ton of levels ahead of Megaman. This somewhat rationalizes why his stats in general (outside of Evade) are much better than Megaman’s. Thus it’s not a good time to compare stats right now.

Anyway, the guy won’t let us in his house, so we go to the Hotel to see if we can encounter that Sora guy.

oiXeC.png

I’m just going to stick this in here:

CAtXz.gif
Rock Theme

Tristam should be the star of Kingdom Hearts.

ZvO1i.png
TuQ8z.png
9b1lg.png

Giving me a Keyblade just like that? Tristam is the greatest.

JgOGR.png

You’re a great friend.

DIJeZ.png
5230a.png
nFNKk.png
Rvos8.png

Nice lesson plan, sensei. You could have thrown the bomb while you were running away from the monsters. Nothing was stopping you.

qm7se.png

We now have the Mega Grenade, and thus, all three Bomb upgrades. Again, bombs have a high power when Megaman gets them at first. But they don’t get more powerful as he levels up. It isn’t very effective towards the end of the game unless we’re fighting eyeballs and slimes.

Next Episode: Megaman and the Carmine… Mine.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I get the feeling you're not particularly impressed by the story in this game. Guess I have to repost this wonderful scene from the epilogue.

XBoDV.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I get the feeling you're not particularly impressed by the story in this game. Guess I have to repost this wonderful scene from the epilogue.

http://i.imgur.com/XBoDV.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
No one cares about how I beat up the guy who tried to take over the world! What about my friends?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/bl7wM.gif

This game's script is so inconsistent: it's like an endless thread derail. And the protagonist clearly doesn't care about making speeches or lengthy conversations.

Scythian

So I got bored with FF III and dropped it, I'll give it another shot and if it doesn't keep my interest I'll just move straight to IV (PSP).

Does it get better/interesting/fun? I just got started, I'm at Castle Sasune after getting the airship.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Picked up FF7 again. I got to the Chocobo farm, got all the stuff needed to tame one.

After many many frustrating battles I finally tamed one to ride. I went through the pond/lake thing and made it to the cave where we saw the defeated snake (that image is so creepy!) by Sephiroth. However, when I backed out onto the World Map I was still on my chocobo and couldn't dismount it for the life of me.

Did I miss something or was it bugged?

jaxword

Picked up FF7 again. I got to the Chocobo farm, got all the stuff needed to tame one.

After many many frustrating battles I finally tamed one to ride. I went through the pond/lake thing and made it to the cave where we saw the defeated snake (that image is so creepy!) by Sephiroth. However, when I backed out onto the World Map I was still on my chocobo and couldn't dismount it for the life of me.

Did I miss something or was it bugged?

Sounds bugged, or possibly you're dismounting in a bad part of the map. Hopefully you saved before wandering across the swamp? If you did, just use the save-reset trick to get across the swamp and save time.

After beating final fantasy XIII, I went and finished XII-2 and wow, this game is so much better in every termn (except difficulty).

Now I´m playing Final Fantasy 7 and I discovered things that when I was young never noticed ( the full accesories to get into don corneo mansion).

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Hadn't had much time lately for VI but picked it up again today. Currently preparing my whole team for Kefka's Tower. Spending a lot of time in 'Jurassic Park' to level up the weaker characters I intend to take and take a trip to the desert every now and then to lay waste to shitloads of Sand Worms and Cactuars. Having fun with some characters with ridiculously boosted stats, like Setzer, who now is an unlikely superfast powerhouse with crazy vigor and speed stats. Looks cool to smack first, throw cards second (Genji Glove) and kill most of the critters still around in the World of Ruin with one hit. Still figuring out the combination of parties I send in the tower, although by now it probably doesn't matter that much - they'll live.

Even boosted with all the relevant relics, Locke's success rate with stealing still sucks. I spend almost half an hour give or take robbing three Tonberries in Umaro's cave of all their Minervas. Okay, kinda greedy to want them all, but still... Still have a shitload of wagering to do at the Colosseum to get some more decent (Genji) armor. And the fanatic's tower is still waiting - always cheated my way through it but kinda want to do it properly once - but for that I need a more robust team of mages than I have now. Everyone's learning Ultima the slow way because I took Ragnarok to get Illumina - so Merit Award + Paladin Shield it is.

ninjatrigg

Neo Member
So I got bored with FF III and dropped it, I'll give it another shot and if it doesn't keep my interest I'll just move straight to IV (PSP).

Does it get better/interesting/fun? I just got started, I'm at Castle Sasune after getting the airship.

I had the opposite effect. I loved my III DS playthrough.
I started IV PSP but im kind of bored with it. i played IV the most out of all the games, so I think im just tired of it. I am at the part where Palom and Porom joined the team.

Side note: Nice touch they did with the music. I find myself switching back and forth from the new and original a lot.

I wanted to play in sequential order, but im itching to play VII. :/

laika09

I recently played III (NES) for the first time and it's now among my favorites. I thought it really picked up after you left the Floating Continent. I've never played the DS version but I'd hold out a little while longer.

I'm on IV (PSP) now, and it's really well done. Dreading having to play V/VI in SD...

As much as I want to play VII/VIII/IX/X, I know I can hold out for Vita support.

ninjatrigg

Neo Member
I'm on IV (PSP) now, and it's really well done. Dreading having to play V/VI in SD...

As much as I want to play VII/VIII/IX/X, I know I can hold out for Vita support.

Ive decided on the GBA versions of V/VI, but I dont know if I should use GBASP/DS/or GBAMicro

Yeah, I also contemplated buying a PSPGo to play VII-IX, just for the brighter screen, but where the hell is my Vita support?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Question: Can I leave the Cradle and go back to Gran Pulse, complete a few missions (notable: 45 for Gilgamesh Inc) and come back and grind the two C'ieth at the "starting" area of the dungeon or is it gone forever if I leave? :/

TheSeks

Well, I guess I'll see for myself. But it'd really suck if I can't continue to grind there after finally getting the last weapon that needs the stones that are dropped by those enemies there. If I could clear that last one, I could get 14,000 from two of those stones and 12,500 from Perfumes. Which speeds up the Gil process a lot.

TheSeks

Question: Can I leave the Cradle and go back to Gran Pulse, complete a few missions (notable: 45 for Gilgamesh Inc) and come back and grind the two C'ieth at the "starting" area of the dungeon or is it gone forever if I leave? :/

To answer my my own question: No, no it isn't. Thank god, now I can finally get the last few weapons I'm missing and grind the cash needed for a Trap to get three traps back, to put one trap into another weapon to get another three traps and get the ultimate weapons for my party.

Speaking of which: What weapons do people recommend to put into Tier 3?

coopolon

I didn't even know this thread was going on! I just beat Final Fantasy IV and am now playing Final Fantasy V.

The biggest change for me is not using a guide. I pretty much used a guide step by step for FFIV and now in FFV I'm only using it to look up jobs so that I can plan ahead. It makes it a lot more fun! This one I'm playing on an emulator and the save states makes me feel a lot more comfortable. If I get killed by some random mob I wasn't expecting (like some random machine I run into on a random island who is immune to all damage I can inflict currently.) I do sometimes wonder just how many secrets I'm missing though.

I love the job system. At first I was just leveling up everything on everyone, but then I started planning more. So many jobs though, I want like every character to master 6 different jobs by the time I get to the mime.

So Final Fantasy Tactics war of the lions via the vita just crashed and burned while saving. Apparently all my saves no long exist (according to the game). Any one else experience this? Are save game editors possible if I don't want to start from scratch? Editors came up in my google search but I'm not sure this sort of thing is even possible for my situation

jaxword

So Final Fantasy Tactics war of the lions via the vita just crashed and burned while saving. Apparently all my saves no long exist (according to the game). Any one else experience this? Are save game editors possible if I don't want to start from scratch? Editors came up in my google search but I'm not sure this sort of thing is even possible for my situation

I don't think there's any editors for the PSP yet, but I think you can probably find some savegames online. Maybe you can find one that isn't too far in so you can still do some personalization? You really don't start customizing Ramza until chapter 2 anyways.

TheSeks

OH MY GOD SO BORING. Grinding these stones is taking forever and I need 39[/i] of the Pero's to max all the stuff for treasure hunter. But they're a rare drop on an enemy of two-three in the final dungeon and respawning them in a PITA and they don't drop them too often. It's pissing me off.

Other than that (which clears a majority of my checklist up) I have to get Admens and Traps for the weapons. UGH.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It's simply not worth it. I really wanted to do the XIII platinum but I couldn't bring myself to keep going. Just give up and feel better.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
OH MY GOD SO BORING. Grinding these stones is taking forever and I need 39[/i] of the Pero's to max all the stuff for treasure hunter. But they're a rare drop on an enemy of two-three in the final dungeon and respawning them in a PITA and they don't drop them too often. It's pissing me off.

Other than that (which clears a majority of my checklist up) I have to get Admens and Traps for the weapons. UGH.

It's not worth it. Really. I did the platinum and I do not want to play that game again for a few years. It's so damn boring, and it ended up making me sick and tired of hearing Blinded by Light over and over and over.

Do you have Catalogues equipped? More than one of a certain type doesn't stack, but the Collector's and Connoisseur's stack. Also, you can get certain stones from Chocobo hunting, so whenever you go to the Steppes area, just dig around as much as you can. I ended up digging up a few things that I sold off so it isn't a total loss if you don't find a lot of interesting stuff.

I don't really see any reason to aim consciously for platinums at all, besides giving in to Sony's Skinnerian cleverness at making the reward for "complete all other trophies" extra-shiny. Just about every game -- certainly every RPG -- includes at least one task that is excessively grindy, infuriatingly random, or otherwise wildly ill-conceived, and FFXIII is worse than many in that regard.

IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO TURN BACK

TheSeks

It's not worth it. Really. I did the platinum and I do not want to play that game again for a few years. It's so damn boring, and it ended up making me sick and tired of hearing Blinded by Light over and over and over.

Do you have Catalogues equipped? More than one of a certain type doesn't stack, but the Collector's and Connoisseur's stack. Also, you can get certain stones from Chocobo hunting, so whenever you go to the Steppes area, just dig around as much as you can. I ended up digging up a few things that I sold off so it isn't a total loss if you don't find a lot of interesting stuff.

Wait, collector's stacks with the upgraded collectors/con? FUCK. I wish you told me that before I spent my 500,000 on Ademites for the three weapons that need it (leaving three other stones of that type for the accessories)

The grind isn't that bad it's just fucking boring and takes FOREVER.

If you read this before starting the game (print it out) and use this as a checklist and "what stones do I need?" it's not terrible. Esp. given if you know where to grind and don't go too far into Orphan's Cradle the only two stones you need to do are the fucking Dark Matter (Long Gui) and Traps (Admentoise) farming because they're 2mill roughly for ONE of them to use in the store and the gil spot in Orphan's Cradle while the best spot for gil (once you have all the stone items that one stone needs upgraded/checked off) in the game, it isn't t he highest in terms of reward, just in terms of quick gil that is good for the upgrading process.

Labadal

Finished Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2.

258 quests done.
I think I got most clan trails done.
Auction house champion in all regions.
Recruited all unique characters.
Spent a little less than 110 hours on the game.

I might go back to it and finish off what I haven't completed yet, but that will have to wait for when my backlog gets smaller. I really enjoyed it. The biggest complaint I have would be that the camera wasn't controllable in battles. I have no complaints regarding anything else. Well, maybe that the game was way too addictive.

Roubjon

So I started FFXIII last weekend and have played it for around 20 hours so far. I'm at Chapter 10 and things have really started to pick up, which is great because I've been enjoying it the whole time so it can only get better.

I've basically only been upgrading Lightning's weapon the whole game, because I hardly have any materials to upgrade at all. I'm assuming I'll get a lot more soon, right?

CorvoSol

I've been plugging through FFXIII again (I borrowed XIII-2, so I'm doing a quick refresher) and I have the following thoughts running through my head:

-Square made FF6 style sprites for this game. An SNES downgraded FFXIII has a lot of potential in my eyes.

-If the whole game was as good as the Pulse-Oerba section of the game, this would have been a good game. That's not saying pre-Pulse didn't have it's highlights (Nautilus), but Pulse is really the best part of the game.

-My feelings toward FFXIII are pretty much Luke Skywalker's feelings toward Darth Vader. Everyone tells me its evil and beyond redemption, but I keep thinking to myself that somewhere, buried beneath all that evil, "there's still good in him, I can feel it!"

Roubjon

While playing through it, I can see why a lot of people don't like it. But it has everything I care about in an JRPG, which is basically just a fun battle system.

The game up to this point sort of seems like a 20 hour dungeon, with a bunch of cutscenes. I love it.

TheSeks

Well, that's 20 Pero's. Leaves 19 to get. Had to buy the last two because I was going insane trying to get them to drop.

More grinding for those tomorrow. And I still can't stand against the Adementoise despite nearly being max stage 9 Crystarium. Very annoying. :|

Mxrz

13 is a difficult platinum? D'oh, I still want to do it. At least it isn't as bad as Star Ocean's, right? That's the one platinum I looked at and just went . . . "No."

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
13 is a difficult platinum? D'oh, I still want to do it. At least it isn't as bad as Star Ocean's, right? That's the one platinum I looked at and just went . . . "No."
Not as hard or as soul-crushing as SO4's. It's just really time-consuming and basically amounts to doing/fighting the same things over and over and over and over. SO4's plat is... uh, more along the lines of "why the hell would I torture myself to do all of that when I didn't care for the game much in general?"

Like, I only do platinums where I've mostly done everything else in the game, which was the case with FFXIII (which was probably a bad idea in hindsight since I just found the game all-around mediocre). SO4's? LOL. No thanks. Same goes for Vesperia's plat too.

Well, that's 20 Pero's. Leaves 19 to get. Had to buy the last two because I was going insane trying to get them to drop.

More grinding for those tomorrow. And I still can't stand against the Adementoise despite nearly being max stage 9 Crystarium. Very annoying. :|
You don't need to grind money on just the things that drop Perfumes. It would probably be more beneficial to go for the Ingots or Gold Nuggets. I ended up fighting more Guis than Adamantoises because Gold Nuggets dropped more often than Ingots. There are other moneymaking alternatives in that post I linked.

And if you're still at Crystarium Level 9, just do the mission to beat the Ochu so you can get the Growth Egg to level up faster.

If you read this before starting the game (print it out) and use this as a checklist and "what stones do I need?" it's not terrible. Esp. given if you know where to grind and don't go too far into Orphan's Cradle the only two stones you need to do are the fucking Dark Matter (Long Gui) and Traps (Admentoise) farming because they're 2mill roughly for ONE of them to use in the store and the gil spot in Orphan's Cradle while the best spot for gil (once you have all the stone items that one stone needs upgraded/checked off) in the game, it isn't the highest in terms of reward, just in terms of quick gil that is good for the upgrading process.
Maaaan, I wish I know most of that stuff (ie: I wish I looked up the FAQs) when I did my platinum. A friend and I did our platinum trophies together, so much of what I knew came out of our discussions, and one faq on GameFAQs that I used for weapons because that development system was just effing stupid, and I didn't want to waste materials to level up weapons because the materials are expensive in the first place.

Honestly, playing a game with a spreadsheet open most of the time like I did is silly. Silly!

pikablu

I recently started Final Fantasy IX. Got really freaking addicted and made it to disc 2 in almost less than day of gameplay.

I'm glad to hear more ppl playing and liking XIII

In my opinion, no.

The only thing that delayed me from plat'ing the game, is time and that is due to trap farming from long gui's. And probably obtaining all wpns/accessories. Honestly though, if you got the right gear and strategy against long gui, farming traps isn't that time consuming. Just equip collectors catalog (the upgraded one), and equip it to the character that does the main killing blow. Through my experience, it seems like the collectors catalog (upgraded) only works when the character equipped with it kills the enemy. If you have two of those accessories, equip it to your main 2 killers. My team was Light, Fang, and Hope/Vanille. And I equipped the two of my collectors catalog (upgrade) to the other two, and not the character I'm controlling. Why? In case that outcast takes the kill which will not get you the higher rate.

Sorry, I haven't played in a while, so I don't remember the upgraded collectors catalog name.. or if thats the name of the upgraded ver. or not. Hope this helps

I recently started Final Fantasy IX. Got really freaking addicted and made it to disc 2 in almost less than day of gameplay.

FFIX is my favorite of all FF series. I love the theme, soundtrack, setting, everything! Beatrix is probably the most BA character in all FF imo.

TheSeks

You don't need to grind money on just the things that drop Perfumes. It would probably be more beneficial to go for the Ingots or Gold Nuggets. I ended up fighting more Guis than Adamantoises because Gold Nuggets dropped more often than Ingots. There are other moneymaking alternatives in that post I linked.

And if you're still at Crystarium Level 9, just do the mission to beat the Ochu so you can get the Growth Egg to level up faster.

Maaaan, I wish I know most of that stuff (ie: I wish I looked up the FAQs) when I did my platinum. A friend and I did our platinum trophies together, so much of what I knew came out of our discussions, and one faq on GameFAQs that I used for weapons because that development system was just effing stupid, and I didn't want to waste materials to level up weapons because the materials are expensive in the first place.

Honestly, playing a game with a spreadsheet open most of the time like I did is silly. Silly!

I'm Stage 9 until I beat the game and I don't want to do that until I have their Pero's since everything else is post game or buy in the store.

So I'm grinding CP while trying to get the Pero's the drop while having little money gain in addition. Worse case scenario, I grind the 30,000 for the last 19 Peros and 200,000x3 for the Adems and then finish the game and grind turtles for Dark/Traps.

TheSeks

The only thing that delayed me from plat'ing the game, is time and that is due to trap farming from long gui's. And probably obtaining all wpns/accessories. Honestly though, if you got the right gear and strategy against long gui, farming traps isn't that time consuming. Just equip collectors catalog (the upgraded one), and equip it to the character that does the main killing blow. Through my experience, it seems like the collectors catalog (upgraded) only works when the character equipped with it kills the enemy. If you have two of those accessories, equip it to your main 2 killers. My team was Light, Fang, and Hope/Vanille. And I equipped the two of my collectors catalog (upgrade) to the other two, and not the character I'm controlling. Why? In case that outcast takes the kill which will not get you the higher rate.

Sorry, I haven't played in a while, so I don't remember the upgraded collectors catalog name.. or if thats the name of the upgraded ver. or not. Hope this helps

Wait, what? Tell me this is bullshit. Please, otherwise I'm going to have to waste another 100,000 and upgrade two collector's cats for Vanilla and Light to have so I can get these stupid Pero's easier?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm Stage 9 until I beat the game and I don't want to do that until I have their Pero's since everything else is post game or buy in the store.

So I'm grinding CP while trying to get the Pero's the drop while having little money gain in addition. Worse case scenario, I grind the 30,000 for the last 19 Peros and 200,000x3 for the Adems and then finish the game and grind turtles for Dark/Traps.
Ahhhh, I see. And that's why you're grinding for the perfumes because the pathways go away when you beat the game. Smart.

Yeah, easiest way to get Perovskites are from the Sanctum Templars or whatever they're called (which I think go away after you beat the game. I dunno. It's been a while.). It's better to get those for free rather than blow money on those when you should be using the money for other stuff.

TheSeks said:
Wait, what? Tell me this is bullshit. Please, otherwise I'm going to have to waste another 100,000 and upgrade two collector's cats for Vanilla and Light to have so I can get these stupid Pero's easier?
No, this is not the case, and functions the same way as the Growth Egg--the ability it has is a party ability, not for the person. That's why having two Collector's Catalogues don't stack, but having 1 Collector's + 1 Connoisseur's equipped (on anyone, mind you) stack. Just get a high score and try to 5-star as much as you can to improve drop chances.

TheSeks

Ahhhh, I see. And that's why you're grinding for the perfumes because the pathways go away when you beat the game. Smart.

Yeah, easiest way to get Perovskites are from the Sanctum Templars or whatever they're called (which I think go away after you beat the game. I dunno. It's been a while.). It's better to get those for free rather than blow money on those when you should be using the money for other stuff.

No, this is not the case, and functions the same way as the Growth Egg--the ability it has is a party ability, not for the person. That's why having two Collector's Catalogues don't stack, but having 1 Collector's + 1 Connoisseur's equipped (on anyone, mind you) stack. Just get a high score and try to 5-star as much as you can to improve drop chances.

Yeah, I know. I basically was going insane grinding the last two Pero's out so I bought them to be a round even 20 today. Otherwise all the rest (17 of them) were drops from grinding all day. So tomorrow I should have those and it's a matter of getting the cash for the Adems.

And yeah, but if the drop rate is based on kills that's crazy. :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I know. I basically was going insane grinding the last two Pero's out so I bought them to be a round even 20 today. Otherwise all the rest (17 of them) were drops from grinding all day. So tomorrow I should have those and it's a matter of getting the cash for the Adems.

And yeah, but if the drop rate is based on kills that's crazy. :/
It's not based on kills; FFXIII just has an asinine drop rate in general which is based on the rank and score you get at the end of battle. That's about it. At least FFXIII-2 rectifies this sort of thing somewhat (but 5-starring battles is much easier in that game too).

If you're planning on getting the platinum, don't level up your weapons to Tier-3 yet. I 5-starred all of the missions with Tier-1 weapons because levelling them up past that will decrease the target time. Target time is calculated like this, so try not to equip a lot of stuff that enhance your stats by a lot.

Which weapons did you end up selecting to level up?

TheSeks

I've been using Fang with her Debuff staff, Vanille with the debuff wand, and Light with the Lionheart, all tier 2 so far.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've been using Fang with her Debuff staff, Vanille with the debuff wand, and Light with the Lionheart, all tier 2 so far.
Oh, that's what I did for those three too. I think those are the ones people pick more often. I have heard that people like to go with the Taming Pole for Fang since the Tier-3 weapon that comes out of that increases her attack by a lot, but what's the point of that when the attribute it carries is Stagger Lock (nah, I know the point, but I'd rather stagger and kill fast as opposed to not stagger, especially since Lightning was barely ever in my party).

For Sazh, I went with the Antares Deluxes (helped out with Random Instant Chain). Snow got the Paladin, and Hope got the Vidofnir (for better buffing; I think people generally go for the Hawkeye for the higher magic stat).

Snow is an interesting one. People don't like using him in general, but I found that he was one of the more interesting characters to use based on his SEN abilities, and his weapon attributes. There were a few times when I equipped him with the Feymark/Soul Blazer, the Umbra/Solaris, or the Paladin/Winged Saint depending on what I wanted him to do. Basically, he became my prime support character while other people did most of the work. Snow was one of my main characters in late-postgame when I was getting used to fighting Guis or getting missions done and 5-starred, so at least he served a purpose.

Hope was one of the characters I ended up dropping from the main roster towards late-postgame because his animations ended up dragging the fight or didn't sync well with some of the other characters' animations for better efficiency.

TheSeks

I haven't touched Snow at all and dropped Hope because his HP is 4,000 less than the next lowest characters HP. Insane.

31-32 Peros. Got a few more to get. I bought a couple to speed up the process but well I can make that money back grinding perfumes for the Adamites.

TheSeks

Getting these Pero's has really sped up my Treasure Hunter checklist. 1 Particle Accel after 36 Sturdy Bones (if it needs them!) + 1 Pero = transformed item. Pretty easy to regain the money on the Sacrifices with perfumes giving you 12,500 so that's Sturdy Bones or one Particle Accelerator back.

Got all of the Pero accessories transformed. That leaves the weapons that need them so that's a bit more grind but shouldn't be bad.

Uranites apparently want 45,000 gil which isn't bad but 19 of them makes it a grind. :/

Nearly maxed all jobs in Stage 9 Crystarium as well which means I should (in theory) be able to go toe-to-toe with the turtles now... I'll see after I finish the Pero transforms.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Getting these Pero's has really sped up my Treasure Hunter checklist. 1 Particle Accel after 36 Sturdy Bones (if it needs them!) + 1 Pero = transformed item. Pretty easy to regain the money on the Sacrifices with perfumes giving you 12,500 so that's Sturdy Bones or one Particle Accelerator back.

Got all of the Pero accessories transformed. That leaves the weapons that need them so that's a bit more grind but shouldn't be bad.

Uranites apparently want 45,000 gil which isn't bad but 19 of them makes it a grind. :/

Nearly maxed all jobs in Stage 9 Crystarium as well which means I should (in theory) be able to go toe-to-toe with the turtles now... I'll see after I finish the Pero transforms.
You should be able to do it with a maxed Stage 9 Crystarium and Tier-1 weapons if you're quick and ATB Cancel/Refill, but if you want to transform them to Tier-2 weapons, that'll make it easier. But if you're planning on 5-starring the missions try to use Tier-1 weapons to increase the Target Time. There are some missions with absurdly short times (mission 35 or 36, I can't remember) that you should use Tier-1 weapons for. But keep in mind that I never used shrouds, so I did most of the missions with a natural Preemptive Strike.

My Chapter 10-13 party was Hope/Vanille/Fang. I ended up taking control of Hope because he didn't do what I wanted him to do sometimes and used AoE attacks when the animation speed is soooo long and I didn't have the patience for that nonsense (and Vanille does some of that stuff too). Gave him a Mark and a Bangle accessory and he was fine.

I guess my dislike in general for Lightning ended up carrying over to who I used in my party during the main game, which doesn't happen often. Didn't use Snow at all after Chapter 7, but when late-postgame and missions came up, he became one of the characters I used a lot.

Man, wait until you have to accumulate money for the Ultracompact Reactors! That's always fun. -_-

I know that you can get Uraninites for free from doing four mark missions, I believe. And you can find one in a chest in Sulyya Springs, and another in Eden or Orphan's Cradle. You should've gotten one as a drop from some enemy in an earlier chapter. But I remember having to get Ingots and having to buy those too.

Honestly, whoever came up with the concept for either the drop rate in the game or the Treasure Hunter trophy in general should be kicked. :/

TheSeks

I dunno. I've been attempting the turtles randomly with Light, Fang, Vanille and Vanille is the one that gets one shotted by the opening stomp. If I could get her to survive we'd be in business.

That said, all the Pero weapons are transformed this leaves the Uranite, Adamite, Trap, and Dark Matters left to get and transform with. Along with 2-3 one-time-only Mark/Hunt accessories that I haven't done the Marks for because I don't want to transform the turtles into Long Guis yet.

Top Bottom