• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of 25 years of Demon Summoning, GAF Plays: The (Shin) Megami Tensei series

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Oh. I've wandered into one of those. Why do you prefer 2? And I guess for others, why 3? What makes one a better experience over the other? I suppose I've heard 3 is more beginner-friendly, but I like reasonably complicated systems.

Honestly, I feel like one could skip 3 in favor of 4. The games are so incredibly similar, yet I felt like 4 just did everything better. Though 3 is a great game...

Jucksalbe

Banned
Persona 2 is a better game if you have an avatar from a 16-bit RPG, and Persona 3 is a better game if your avatar is a cute moe girl.
trollin

Oh, you. The Tales series needs more support.

Edit: I'll make it a Megami Tensei avatar if when you announce Soul Hackers 3DS.

Finalow

well I find P2 plot and chara a lot better than any other Persona game, in this case P3. especially if with P2 you consider P2 IS and P2 EP. <- main reason
gameplay is ok in both games, P2 has the possibility to talk with monsters, P3 has the social link and the school thing. also I find P3 pretty repetitive due to the fact that you need to spend a lot of time in the same dungeon.
I prefer P2 bs as well with the FS system (even if it is a little overpowered), in P3 you can only control the main chara and the rest of the party won't always use the skill you hope for.

cj_iwakura

Just looking at those DDS pics makes me want to replay it, then I remember the 30 hours I spent prepping for and fighting Hitoshura.
I meant to do Satan afterward in DDS2, didn't have the willpower to grind as needed. I will end him though. One day.

And P2:EP is like my third favorite RPG ever. Four times through and counting, third only to FFVI and CT.

I love P3 as well, but if you're gonna start, start strong: go IS, EP, and 3.
(P1 if you're feeling masochistic.)

Koroviev

Huh, well
Belial
was a cakewalk. Took care of him in one try and my two teams were actually kind of ill-suited for the task. The battle to prevent
Honda from fleeing the lockdown
was actually more difficult.

cj_iwakura

I'm sure someone(or anyone with photoshop) could do better, but I wanted to contribute, so...

SMT25.png

I've always wanted to play one of these games. Never have. What would you guys recommend for a first timer?

For some reason I wasn't interested in this series until now. I can buy easily Persona 1, 2:IS and 3. What can be a good starting point?

I was going to start with Persona 1, but it seems it isn't so good...

I'm actually going to throw out SMT3. It was the one I was indoctrinated with, and I turned out fine. :D

Great work on the OP Jucksalbe! This Making of... Feature is worth a look. It features a number of interviews about the series, including one with Yuji Horii who I think is talking about how cool the mazes are in SMT games. Check it!

The only SMT games I've played through are Persona 3 & 4, but I just (just) fired up Nocturne because of this thread. Not sure what to expect, though by all accounts it's pretty great. Anyway, will keep you guys abreast of my progress.

Guildkillerwithouttheguildpart.jpg

Prepare...

It's always the right time to return to Manipura!

well I find P2 plot and chara a lot better than any other Persona game, in this case P3. especially if with P2 you consider P2 IS and P2 EP. <- main reason
gameplay is ok in both games, P2 has the possibility to talk with monsters, P3 has the social link and the school thing. also I find P3 pretty repetitive due to the fact that you need to spend a lot of time in the same dungeon.
I prefer P2 bs as well with the FS system (even if it is a little overpowered), in P3 you can only control the main chara and the rest of the party won't always use the skill you hope for.

P2 for characters and Fucked Up-Ass Fucked-Up Megaten Plot Goodness&#8482;, even with Mitsuru "YOU'LL FALL BY MY HAND" Kirijo.

P3 for battles. Even with derp-mode AI; with P3P it's a clean kill. P2's so brain-dead easy and grindy even in Hard that I was able to auto-battle thru bosses and others reported being able to use only the character's two inate personas thru the whole game. Not good.

Persona 2 is a better game if you have an avatar from a 16-bit RPG, and Persona 3 is a better game if your avatar is a cute moe girl.
trollin

Well, I guess it was about time to abandon Charmeleon anyway.

wyOFM.png

Hey, this also results in shorter image links. A win all-around.

are the super famicom games worth getting into? i don't know much about them and haven't seen much either but from the little i have, they look pretty fun.

Aeana

are the super famicom games worth getting into? i don't know much about them and haven't seen much either but from the little i have, they look pretty fun.
They are, very much so. You just need to keep in mind that they are a little primitive compared to what you're used to, particularly in terms of fusion. But SMT2 remains one of my favorites in the franchise to this day.

They are, very much so. You just need to keep in mind that they are a little primitive compared to what you're used to, particularly in terms of fusion. But SMT2 remains one of my favorites in the franchise to this day.

awesome, i will definitely give SMT2 a go at least. i have dds 1/2 and nocturne on ps2 and while i have played a bit of nocturne i thought it could turn out cool to do a series play through.

do you recommend any of the ds games as well? i have been meaning to pick up some more games for my 3ds anyway! :)

Playing Persona 3 Portable for the female MC. I'm hoping just to fly through it. I don't care much for Tartarus grinding this time around, only want to experience the female character's story and enjoy the new content. Miss the cutscenes

Aeana

I just remembered that the reason why I joined GAF in the first place was Himuro's Shin Megami Tensei appreciation thread, back in 2006. Without it, maybe I wouldn't be here!

awesome, i will definitely give SMT2 a go at least. i have dds 1/2 and nocturne on ps2 and while i have played a bit of nocturne i thought it could turn out cool to do a series play through.

do you recommend any of the ds games as well? i have been meaning to pick up some more games for my 3ds anyway! :)
Oh, yes, absolutely. Strange Journey is absolutely fantastic. Devil Survivor games are great, but they are SRPGs, so you'll have to expect that going in.

I should try playing Strange Journey again, I had gotten stuck after going
through the pitch black room to find a monster eating (digesting?) one of the mobile bases, I'm forced to leave the room and are told to find another way

I enjoyed what I had played leading up to that moment though, first person RPGs aren't usually my thing but something about that game clicked with me.

The problem with DDS is that you really are an untouchable god by the end of the game. It kind of goes against the constant dread of the rest of the series (and even DDS itself in the beginning). Only the secret boss is a challenge, and even that isn't that big of a deal if you look up the cheese method of beating him.

cj_iwakura

The problem with DDS is that you really are an untouchable god by the end of the game. It kind of goes against the constant dread of the rest of the series (and even DDS itself in the beginning). Only the secret boss is a challenge, and even that isn't that big of a deal if you look up the cheese method of beating him.

Even Red Star requires significant luck. His first two demons can easily kill your whole team if luck is not on your side, not to mention you have to survive at least one Gaea Rage.

You know that saying about how a dying wolf can still bite your head off? That's the Demi-Fiend. Bastard was on his knees and got four crits in a row, almost killing my whole team. And he was fully debuffed.

Effect

Looking to possibly get my first game of this franchise. I don't think Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 will be getting the Overclocked treatment. So no reason to wait for that. Though not sure how to choose between Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2. I guess one thing that is an issue is the whole "day" setup. Is there an actual countdown or do the days and time in the first game act as chapters for the most part and progress after a major event takes place?

Is there a similar setup in the sequel?

Koroviev

Looking to possibly get my first game of this franchise. I don't think Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 will be getting the Overclocked treatment. So no reason to wait for that. Though not sure how to choose between Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2. I guess one thing that is an issue is the whole "day" setup. Is there an actual countdown or do the days and time in the first game act as chapters for the most part and progress after a major event takes place?

Is there a similar setup in the sequel?

They're basically chapters. I would start with DS2, if only because the presentation is not at the same level as DSO, due to it being on the NDS. Which game you prefer will largely depend on which cast you like best. Personally, I'm inclined toward DS2's cast, but DSO's cast is by no means bad.

Even Red Star requires significant luck. His first two demons can easily kill your whole team if luck is not on your side, not to mention you have to survive at least one Gaea Rage.

You know that saying about how a dying wolf can still bite your head off? That's the Demi-Fiend. Bastard was on his knees and got four crits in a row, almost killing my whole team. And he was fully debuffed.

Yea, but it was still luck. If I remember right you couldn't afford to really change up your tactics. You did what you needed to do and it either worked out or it didn't.

Been a while though. I do remember only needing to two attempts, but it took at least 30 minutes to actually beat him.

Teknoman

Varna

This thread reminded me I need to get back to Innocent Sin. I waited so long to play this game but now it's just feeling like a chore. They did a horrible job of updating the menus and "speeding" up the battles. I am still shocked about this considering how well they handled the Persona 1 enhanced port.

The biggest thing that bothers me is how every time an attack hits more then one target they have to cut to showing everyone taking damage... one at a time. This shit was infuriating in Eternal Punishment, but my patients for such things was much higher back then.

Eventually I will get in the mood.

cj_iwakura

This thread reminded me I need to get back to Innocent Sin. I waited so long to play this game but now it's just feeling like a chore. They did a horrible job of updating the menus and "speeding" up the battles. I am still shocked about this considering how well they handled the Persona 1 enhanced port.

The biggest thing that bothers me is how every time an attack hits more then one target they have to cut to showing everyone taking damage... one at a time. This shit was infuriating in Eternal Punishment, but my patients for such things was much higher back then.

Eventually I will get in the mood.

I think EP improved on the speed battle from what I saw, but I always left animations on for the sprites.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
After having a terrible experience with Persona Portable, some folks in one of the P4G threads recommended I get P3P. I have about 50 hours clocked so far, and I'm really enjoying it! I like how unabashedly Japanese the localization is, which is actually refreshing in a world where jRPGs try to hide that fact as much as possible (sometimes with awkward results). The characters are easy to get along with, and can't ever say no to more addictive demon collecting. I'm also a sucker for day/time systems, so I like how it's implemented here.

The only complaint I have is the menu. It's really annoying that I have to navigate the menu just to see what my max hp/mp is. It's also annoying that I can only see the next character to have a turn, rather than a list. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, but they don't communicate the subtleties of the turn order, so sometimes, you get screwed. It's a shame none of that got fixed, considering that they even made the effort to put new content in the game.

I'll probably finish it up this week, and then I'll be waiting for P4G along with the rest of ya!

PS: I've also clocked like 100+hrs in Devil Survivor/Overclocked. Love it too!

cj_iwakura

Well, I'm back on the grind.

smtc.jpg

This is my second go at SMT1. I feel this game deserves it.

At the prison now. Time to bust heads!

smt1-3.png

First I need a demon...

smt12.png

Oh hi. We have much to discuss, you and I...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
How's the soundtrack in Devil Survivor Overclocked? As I've said numerous times before, I think Strange Journey's soundtrack is the worst thing to happen to gaming since the Xbox, so I'm hoping Devil Survivor's soundtrack is more in line with what one would expect from the SMT series.

Eirikr

I started up a new game of Strange Journey a couple weeks back and, well, after having played both the Japanese and American versions four times each to 100% completion, playing the game without a set goal in mind was a little different, and a little boring at first. Still, since I last played through it two years ago, once I got to Carina I stopped knowing my way around so it got a little more interesting. I once had Eridanus' teleport maze memorized but I doubt that'll still be the case.

But great thread. It is my shame as SMT fan that my aversion to older RPGs trumps my interest in playing the originals; and I really really want to play SMTII, mind you. Late August and Soul Hackers 3DS can't come soon enough.

Korigama

Devil Summoner 2 has required me to unlearn most of what I picked up in DS1 (the mechanics have been changed that much). That said, I am enjoying it so far, and negotiating with demons is more interesting than mashing to confine them in tubes was.

Devil Summoner 2 has required me to unlearn most of what I picked up in DS1 (the mechanics have been changed that much). That said, I am enjoying it so far, and negotiating with demons is more interesting than mashing to confine them in tubes was.

That's ok, a lot of DS1's mechanics were annoying and bad. Bask in the joy of not having to max loyalty before you fuse and a pseudo-infinite MP pool. Feel the luxury of demons with more than two action skills. Kind of... get annoyed when demons decide they want to chat you up right before you deliver the deathblow.

Teknoman

How's the soundtrack in Devil Survivor Overclocked? As I've said numerous times before, I think Strange Journey's soundtrack is the worst thing to happen to gaming since the Xbox, so I'm hoping Devil Survivor's soundtrack is more in line with what one would expect from the SMT series.

Its not. Devil Survivor 2 is much closer to what you'd normally expect from the series. Its done by Kenji Ito of Romancing SaGa fame, but it sounds like Persona 2 at times, and modern SMT + Ito's style for others.

And while thats cool that Meguro wants to try new styles...as much as I like Strange Journey, imo he should have gone with a style closer to Digital Devil Saga or Soul Hackers.

Aeana

ibruKHbgjX95sM.jpg

Raidou 1 done. I used to think that Raidou 1 had a better/more interesting story than Raidou 2, but upon replaying it, it actually seems much less interesting than before. I really want to replay Raidou 2 now, but I know it would be a mistake since it reuses so much from the first game. I think I'll use that to cap off my marathon thingy.

I believe that next will be SMT1, GBA version.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Played a bit of Persona PSP yesterday. Not enough to post any screenshots, but enough to remember how much I love the battle theme, even though you have to hear it a lot.

I'm sure someone(or anyone with photoshop) could do better, but I wanted to contribute, so...

SMT25.png

Thanks! I have to point out, though, that there's a "Shin" too much in the picture. ;)

Congrats! Did you speed through the game or is it really that short?

Aeana

My favorite tune from Persona PSP is that version of Reiji's theme, Tension. I've loved it ever since the clip went up on the JP site.

Congrats! Did you speed through the game or is it really that short?

I didn't speed through it, I just played at my normal pace. But apparently my normal pace is much quicker than most people with most games.

wow, i decided to start going through SMT 1 and the story is very captivating so far. i just love the mysterious atmosphere that it has been creating! very impressive for such an early game. it's also my first, first-person rpg :p

cj_iwakura

It's mostly generic rock trying to copy Meguro's signature style and failing. That's why I like that he did new things for SJ. The OST was ambient, creepy, and fitting. Loved the Chaos theme in particular, but I am a sucker for chants.

And yeah, Raidou 1 is pretty short overall, but the endgame is full of mindfs if you read into the SMT1&2 connections.

Aeana

Some of my screenshots got screwed up, so I couldn't make this post as thorough as I wanted. I fixed it for next time I play, though.

iAwYdryzZnq53.png

Let's get this party started.

iVGhdgAsxjF70.png

You start the game in a dream sequence, and a wall dude asks you for your name. I named the hero Ness, just 'cause. Naturally, I will name the rest of my dudes after Earthbound characters as well.

iXbyOtnNcWetc.png

Upon waking from the dream, I do what any normal, totally well-adjusted person does: check out what crazy things happened on the intertubes while I was asleep. Apparently, I got an e-mail from some STEVEN dude and he gave me a devil summoning program.

ibdha44oZqxWx3.png

Here is a screenshot of Pascal, the hero of our story.

iDSf8uaP3awy.png

The world map in the GBA version looks pretty cool, I think.

iWxomRxnSyaPb.png
i2OIeXxy19Gzr.png

In fact, the UI in the GBA (and PSX) version is really, really dramatically improved. Buying and selling is much nicer, and walking around places like the cafe where there are "talk spots" every step is also less of a headache, because it asks you if you want to talk to the person on the tile each time.

iba8nQQJoHXyFq.png
ibrmvPMCmziUo1.png
inS24El2BwCzb.png

Further exploration of the arcade leads us to some crazy guy with a knife. A gaki appears out of nowhere, rips his throat out, and runs away. But he's nice enough to leave us the knife the guy was using, so yay now we have a weapon.

ibs1BG1pv8Juaq.png

A little more exploring around town leads us to a police blockade near our house. Apparently, we're now wanted for the murder of that poor guy at the arcade.

i6QSwH1HpWVDX.png
ibwz0Cu7o17oSB.png

We're thrown into a jail cell, or at least something that looks like one. Inside or cell is another dude. Turns out it's Poo, one of the guys we named in the intro.

iblEECNQofUw7v.png

Poo creates a distraction and we bust out of the cell and visit the one next door. STEVEN is there, and he tells us all about how his demon summoning program came to be, and how it's being misused by someone named Gotou. He then gives us a devil analyze program, which is not at all useful.

EDIT: Small update

ibcJkfrhJqG9Ea.png
ibjcBgsymBKAxZ.png

Walking around the hospital, I get a knocker with ease. He only asked for yen, so I was happy to oblige. He can cast zan and tarukaja, which are really helpful right now. Plus, I have plans for him later.

inpLJit2uvftp.png
iBguMle12jpgW.png

I also get a pixie after a couple of tries. She kept asking for stuff I didn't have, and also way too much magnetite, but I won her in the end.
Pixie is obviously really useful, but not just because she can heal. She also comes with zionga. Yes, zionga. Lowest leveled demon in the game comes with a second level spell. Crazytown.

ibjgrao4hIIGee.png

Afterward, I head up to see the doctor. He asks me if I've had my reconstructive surgery yet. wat? Well, no matter how I answer, he attacks me, and I fight my first boss.

ibhj98Gpy81mCL.png
ibqqo86ipRyDWU.png
iO7n1iE0ReQmw.png

Orias. Big and scary. But I have zionga, which does a hefty 36 damage, and tarukaja beefs up Ness's attack too. Easy win.

Koroviev

Made it to Day 7 of DSO.
Aligned myself with Amane and agreed to pursue becoming the Messiah. I wanted to side with Atsuro, but his plan to control the demons for human gain seemed too risky. Pride before the fall, as they say.

Meowtor

Gold Member
currently going through P3:FES with my wife (First time she has ever seen any of the Persona games). Made it to my first trip to Tartarus and shes already pretty hooked. Is there any news on Persona 4 coming to PSN for download? Also any more details about Soul Hackers for 3DS? I've read a little bit about it and it seems like a really cool game.

Top Bottom