• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan's Richest People in Video Game Industry

Yottamole

Banned
Forbes recently published its 2012 list of Japan's 40 Richest. I sorted out the ones who are in the video game industry below in ascending order:

#39 Yasuhiro Fukushima - Net Worth $660 million
Founder of Enix, current largest shareholder of Square Enix.

#25 Hajime Satomi
- Net Worth $1.15 billion
Founder of pachinko maker Sammy, now head of Sega Sammy.

#11 Hiroshi Yamauchi - Net Worth $2.7 billion
Former president of Nintendo, now its largest individual shareholder.

#7 Yoshikazu Tanaka - Net Worth $3.5 billion
Richest among the 4 listed here, and youngest in the top 40 list. Founder of GREE, a mobile social gaming company.

Salvadora

Thought Yamauchi was worth more than that.
Edit: Wikipedia says 7.8bn. Must have been hit hard by Nintendo's share decline.

awaiken

Banned
95PdT.gif

wrowa

I dislike these lists that are mostly defined over the amount of stock the people own... In the end, it's all just theoretical money. Especially when you have people like Yamauchi who wouldn't sell their stock anyway no matter what happens.

EVIL

Surprised no Kojima.

he is "just" a developer

The game industry is an industry where even if you are a legend among developers, you still won't become a millionaire. Money flows to the execs of big publishing houses, not to the talent behind the success. Clearly its the work of the publisher who pump $$$ in marketing campaigns that got a game successful and not the work of the developer *rolleyes*

EVIL

how rich are the designer and creator of games ?
i would guess, that shigeru miyamoto and kazunori yamauchi are the leading characters.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Iwata-Miyamoto-Salary-Japan-Games,news-7270.html
As for the other six Nintendo board members, they were not individually named (although developer Shigeru Miyamoto is one of them), however the group earns ¥100 million ($1.13 million USD *devided by 6 makes that around 216.000 USD a year*) in total. For Miyamoto, that paycheck just doesn't seem to justify the revenue his designs have brought the company over the last two decades. However the famed developer has always insisted on staying level with the other producers, refusing a higher salary.

BD1

Banned
#11 Hiroshi Yamauchi - Net Worth $2.7 billion
Former president of Nintendo, now its largest individual shareholder.

This is why I never believe those "Iwata ejector seat" rumblings. Yamauchi hand picked Iwata, and he's still the real boss. I could be mistaken, but I believe Yamauchi and his various family members have the controlling interest of Nintendo's stock.

apana

Hiroshi_Yamauchi_photo_m.jpg

"Iwata you better get these numbers up or else....well let me just say your body is not ready. Wait, Iwata, are you still on the line? Why aren't you saying anything? What are you doing right now?"

large.jpg

"I shouldn't have put him on hold, he was probably calling about something important....nah it can wait."

Jarmel

Banned
he is "just" a developer

The game industry is an industry where even if you are a legend among developers, you still won't become a millionaire. Money flows to the execs of big publishing houses, not to the talent behind the success. Clearly its the work of the publisher who pump $$$ in marketing campaigns that got a game successful and not the work of the developer *rolleyes*

He's an executive now.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
#7 Yoshikazu Tanaka - Net Worth $3.5 billion
Richest among the 4 listed here, and youngest in the top 40 list. Founder of GREE, a mobile social gaming company.

Wow, didn't know GREE was that big. I've only heard of them last week and that was only cause they had some of the hottest booth babes.

VashTS

I was almost expecting the president of Capcom considering how much they love to rob/fuck over their consumers. Also the president of Capcom owns his own vineyard in the CA.

Hiroshi_Yamauchi_photo_m.jpg

"Iwata you better get these numbers up or else....well let me just say your body is not ready. Wait, Iwata, are you still on the line? Why aren't you saying anything? What are you doing right now?"

large.jpg

"I shouldn't have put him on hold, he was probably calling about something important....nah it can wait."

Holy shit, this made laugh HARD LOL

Good job, that was precious comedy gold!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
The Enix dude has more than the Square head? DQ is crazy

Also Tanaka is pretty young for that money. didn't he start it from almost nothing?

GREE is friggin huge. I'm pretty sure they're the largest social mobile gaming company in the world.
Me neither until I saw their section at E3. Came there for the free drinks they were handing out and the booth babes.

They're huge in Japan. They've only started their attempt at global domination.

Wow, didn't know GREE was that big. I've only heard of them last week and that was only cause they had some of the hottest booth babes.
Yoshikazu Tanaka is rolling in dough.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Well, Enix did absorb Square, and Fukushima is similar to Yamauchi in that they are the largest shareholder of a company that's headed by someone else.
Oh damn, and here I always thought it was the other way around

Top Bottom