• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seth Killian leaves Capcom USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
other than a few faithful fans who was asking for a new darkstalkers? i doubt it would have done well. making a new marvel super heroes is a much better idea.

I'm really wondering how long this industry is going to be able to keep up the practice of funding projects like they were films and having 95% of them sell 5 to 10 times less than they need to be profitable. But now I'm just way OT.

BadWolf

Yeah a new Darkstalkers could do well with the fgc but in terms of sales I doubt it would be much of a success.

They should just jump straight to SF5, though at this point it looks like if they do go ahead with it then it will be aimed at next gen (so they can milk it for an entire gen).

I blame Street Fighter Vs Tekken, there was a royal fuck up with this game and I bet many people even from Capcom didn't agree with the atrocious practices taken to the extreme with that game.
Those who were vocal against the Capcom suits will get their heads chop off, next one is Ono-san

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yeah a new Darkstalkers could do well with the fgc but in terms of sales I doubt it would be much of a success.

They should just jump straight to SF5, though at this point it looks like if they do go ahead with it then it will be aimed at next gen (so they can milk it for an entire gen).

Next gen for SF5 is probably for the best in other ways; let SFIV roll for a few more years, and next gen would allow them to use a more technically sophisticated form of 'artistic' graphic shaders like they've been apt to employ.

There's a bit of a disconnect from the SFIV art style in concept, and in-game. The CG intros for SFIV vanilla and super, execute that style a lot more organically than is possible in the actual graphics. Even if they stick with a similar style (as likely they won't) I suspect it would look a lot more palatable to more people, next gen.

BadWolf

There's a bit of a disconnect from the SFIV art style in concept, and in-game. The CG intros for SFIV vanilla and super, execute that style a lot more organically than is possible in the actual graphics. Even if they stick with a similar style (as likely they won't) I suspect it would look a lot more palatable to more people, next gen.

Was it really a technical limitation though? To me they just went for a weak in game style, right now we are basically stuck with exactly what they came up with 4 years ago. With SFXT they went with pretty much the same engine and somehow made it look even uglier.

I don't think next gen is needed to make a more appealing looking 2.5D SF.

Kajiba

Was it really a technical limitation though? To me they just went for a weak in game style, right now we are basically stuck with exactly what they came up with 4 years ago. With SFXT they went with pretty much the same engine and somehow made it look even uglier.

I don't think next gen is needed to make a more appealing looking 2.5D SF.

True. But to appeal to non fighting game fans, 3D graphics was needed to get more peoples attention and sell well. That was one of the biggest decisions capcom had to make for SFIV.

SFxT was just a shit game in general. It coming out the way it did after every other fighting game, gems, add ons and character limitations on different systems plus looking like SFIV just crappier just really wasn't needed. I honestly think the game would've sold better if it was handle diiferently.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Next gen for SF5 is probably for the best in other ways; let SFIV roll for a few more years, and next gen would allow them to use a more technically sophisticated form of 'artistic' graphic shaders like they've been apt to employ.

I agree with all of this. Though, I really didn't have a big problem with SFIVs art in the game.

Man, the SFxTK saga would make such an interesting case study. Looking at pro player opinions, GAF opinions, and Capcom's stances over time.

BadWolf

True. But to appeal to non fighting game fans, 3D graphics was needed to get more peoples attention and sell well. That was one of the biggest decisions capcom had to make for SFIV.

Not talking about the jump to 3D (or 2.5D rather) but the actual style and quality they went with for the character models etc. I find them to be very forgettable and unappealing.

LakeEarth

I still like SFxT, despite Capcom trying their best to make me hate it (auto block!), but I have to admit that the game's poor showing is going to have ramifications. This has got to be one of them.

Vice

Darkstalkers will probably never get the SFIV treatment at this point...

Ono is the guy who really wants a new Dark Stalkers game. He;s using the same strategy he used to get SFIV made. Which is, get enough people to bitch to Capcom so he can make it.

vg260

That may be true, but he doesn't know when to close his damn mouth. I don't wish ill on him, but he makes it hard to like him. :\

He says nothing, people get mad, he says all he's allowed to, and people get mad. It's really a no-win position. People need to have realistic expectations of what these jobs entail. Heck, he doesn't have to respond to anything in the Q&A sessions really. The distaste for specific people in these positions is often silly.

danmaku

I still like SFxT, despite Capcom trying their best to make me hate it (auto block!), but I have to admit that the game's poor showing is going to have ramifications. This has got to be one of them.

The other being fighting game devs listing "no DLC characters" as a bullet point.

Lothars

The other being fighting game devs listing "no DLC characters" as a bullet point.
they all are doing DLC characters in the range of preorder bonuses but that's okay and it's the same posters bitching about capcom say that it's okay the characters are preorder bonuses.

Dragon's Dogma is at around like half a million sold thus far in Japan. I'd also imagine since games cost more over there the revenue margrins are higher. The game is a complete success in Japan by far - at the very least a franchise has been established over there.

While it placed 9th in NPD in the States it was pretty ho-hum at 100 k , but I wouldn't necessarily call Dragon's Dogma a "failure."

A franchise hasn't been established over there. They were expecting a million no problem in Japan. Sales don't generally double more than a month out. It's the most expensive game they've ever made, it took a long time to make with their biggest team. Their expected sales goal for Dogma was 2 million. 700k is toxic.

Nemesis_

Has he been forcibly removed or is he just resigning? Did we have more details other than what we've been told in his leaving post?

Just interested, that's all.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Has he been forcibly removed or is he just resigning? Did we have more details other than what we've been told in his leaving post?

Just interested, that's all.
The OP's link has all the information we know thus far.

Also, thanks ViewtifulJC!

alstein

Man, fuck this SF5 talk. I don't care if Darkstalkers won't sell well I just want that shit to see the light of day.

You forgot the "2: Judgement" .

Given Capcom's recent track record, you might wish it never came out after it does.

Skullgirls is the closest thing to a game with the soul of Darkstalkers.

TreIII

they all are doing DLC characters in the range of preorder bonuses but that's okay and it's the same posters bitching about capcom say that it's okay the characters are preorder bonuses.

Team Ninja just re-confirmed that they're not doing the DLC character game with DOA. Pre-order bonus swimsuits, on the other hand, are looking to be fair game...

El Sloth

Banned
I would think this would make him more free to participate in the FGC.
This. Rather than just merely commentate I hope he starts competing again.
Given Capcom's recent track record, you might wish it never came out after it does.

Skullgirls is the closest thing to a game with the soul of Darkstalkers.
I believe in Ono. The man has shown he has a real passion for Capcom's fighting game properties and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt over SFxT.

TheOGB

Banned
What the fucking fuck, this shit happened yesterday?! :O

mgs3salute.jpg

Oh man, best of luck to you Seth. Really great guy from the sound of it, didn't know he was a professor and all that jazz. I hope we'll still see him around.

...I wont lie, I bet this means Darkstalkers 4 just got canceled, or is about to be. :c I mean, Ono is still technically around and I'd trust him if anyone, but... how long will he last?

Its really gonna suck not having him commentate at evo this year. If skisonic takes his spot I might have to kill myself. I can't stand him.

I'll prepare your eulogy.
He says nothing, people get mad, he says all he's allowed to, and people get mad. It's really a no-win position. People need to have realistic expectations of what these jobs entail. Heck, he doesn't have to respond to anything in the Q&A sessions really. The distaste for specific people in these positions is often silly.

I would rather Sven say nothing, or something along the lines of "sorry, I can't really talk about this subject." I've said this before, but he would rather climb a tree and lie instead of stay on the ground and tell the truth.

This. Rather than just merely commentate I hope he starts competing again.

He would be more valuable to the FGC as just another knowledgeable competitor than he was as a Capcom employee, after he helped the direction of SF4. Tthey clearly didn't listen to him much on SFxT or else gems wouldn't be in and character dlc wouldn't be a messed up situation. those were clearly business-focused decisions, rather than gameplay-focused decisions.

I didn't see a whole lot wrong with on-disc DLC from a practical P.O.V. In fact, I kind of defended it because it's a capcom fighting game...the only difference is they're telling us there's a "Super" version beforehand and have found a way to release content and not splinter the community, which is nice. but from a consumer perception P.O.V., it has been a huge disaster, so I have to acknowledge that and call it an overall bad decision, though not as nefarious as some make it out to be.

Then, on the other side and more importantly to me, gems pretty much killed hardcore interest. Maybe someone thought the FGC would use gems and that would avoid time outs and make it hype. if so, they guessed wrong on a 50/50 mix up.

The whole sfxt ordeal probably takes up a pretty large chunk of Seth's reason for leaving.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

All? I'm aware of TTT doing it, but they're also releasing them all for free later on anyway.

Lothars

All? I'm aware of TTT doing it, but they're also releasing them all for free later on anyway.
From what I understood it was both DOA 5 and TTT doing it, I can't find the preorder characters for DOA, So I might be wrong about that but I remember reading something about preorder characters for DOA5 just not dlc characters for DOA 5.

I would rather Sven say nothing, or something along the lines of "sorry, I can't really talk about this subject." I've said this before, but he would rather climb a tree and lie instead of stay on the ground and tell the truth.
Urgh, I was actually in the process of typing out a long winded diatribe about Sven (and Capcom)'s treatment of PC gamers regarding Street Fighter X Tekken, but then I realised that I'm getting way too bent out of shape for what amounts to be a month and a half's worth of annoyance.

Cliff notes version:

- before SFxT was released on PC, Sven said (via Ask Capcom) that as the game is coming 2 months later for PC after console, the game would be updated to near console patch parity, with all of the DLC (in-game store) at launch or close to launch.
- game is released in May and we get the botched version 1.000 (the console version that Capcom quickly updated due to the bugs rendering the game unplayable online (teleporting, sound skipping)). But Sven said we'd be getting the patch at or close to release and so we wait.
- 2 weeks later, Sven tells us that the game is getting it's patch and that it'd take about a week to get certified. 3 weeks to patch isn't even close to "at launch", but oh well.
- finally today (~1.5 after release), Sven informs us that the new patch (1.02, not the 1.05 consolers recently got) has actually finally been sent off to MS and will hopefully be available next week. Just what the hell have they been doing this past month?!?

So yeah, 1.5 months after the botched release and us PC users are still on version 1.000, the broken version that nobody really plays online anymore. Just what was Sven on about all of this time, from before launch and after? And because of Sven's poor handling of the situation (just shut the fuck up if you don't know!!), regardless of whether he was out to deceive us intentionally or he just doesn't know shit, this whole escapade has really put me off purchasing any Capcom PC game and any Capcom fighting games, PC or console.

Verelios

Man, that's hard. I never really agreed with Sven's practices but he was an amiable (enough) guy. Sucks to see him go.

If Ono does go, I wonder what's the first thing Harada would tweet?

Skilletor

From what I understood it was both DOA 5 and TTT doing it, I can't find the preorder characters for DOA, So I might be wrong about that but I remember reading something about preorder characters for DOA5 just not dlc characters for DOA 5.

There hasn't been anything about doa dlc other than a Jpn collectors with some sexy outfits.

ezekial45

Banned
Man, that's hard. I never really agreed with Sven's practices but he was an amiable (enough) guy. Sucks to see him go.

If Ono does go, I wonder what's the first thing Harada would tweet?

No, this is Seth Killian who's leaving. Christian Svenson, the head guy at Capcom USA, is still there.

Brera

Banned
From that Ono interview, Capcom doesn't come across very well at all.

To see a franchise like SF treated like that...like junk shows a complete disrespect for their own company and why they're in this mess while others like Nintendo who embrace their history are winning.

Seeing SF run into the ground is even sadder.

Fuck Capcom. The suits are fucking that company up big time!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
To see a franchise like SF treated like that...like junk shows a complete disrespect for their own company and why they're in this mess while others like Nintendo who embrace their history are winning.
I really don't think this is a good comparison. Nintendo has their own problems on the other end of the spectrum.

Also to claim they are "winning" is suspect.

Neiteio

30lpcshmxk2l.gif
Dat Seth.

Brera

Banned
I really don't think this is a good comparison. Nintendo has their own problems on the other end of the spectrum.

Also to claim they are "winning" is suspect.

In software terms...what other Japanese company is still pumping out hits like in the old days?

Nintendo aint changed.

Capcom started this gen so well...so sad when a company stops believing in itself

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There's some more information:
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/seth-killian-leaving-capcom.162272/page-4#post-7124635

Take it for what you will, but d3v is a longtime poster of high quality who is also a Capcom-Unity moderator. Thanks to smasher61 on GFAQs for providing the link.
Ooh I see.

I thought this was posted, but I don't see it. Apologies if repost. Svennson comments on Seth's departure:
How does Seth leaving affect Capcom's relationship with the fighting game community? — D3v

Svensson: Suffice to say, there are many people who work with the FGC within Capcom, not just Seth (though he was the person who provided the entre and was by miles the most visible and vocal). We also are continuing to discuss how we continue to keep channels of communications as open as Seth has... but I have nothing to report in terms of details at this time.

Also, Seth is still in the FGC... and we still have a relationship with Seth of course.

<3 Seth

Darkstalkers will probably never get the SFIV treatment at this point...
Mahvel never even got the street fighter treatment. What makes you think Darkstalkers would be any different?
other than a few faithful fans who was asking for a new darkstalkers? i doubt it would have done well. making a new marvel super heroes is a much better idea.
Faithful Darkstalkers fans are still playing the games today. I don't know about the people asking for a new game. They're not less important than the people who actually play the games, but I find all the requests really naive after seeing Capcom's output and management style over the last three years or so.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Quite surprised that Lupinko hasnt said anything about Darkstalkers ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom