• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Boogiepop

So I just got through the Ice Cave and... I'm really liking this game. I mean, they have the "equipment gains points to learn abilities" thing that I really, really, really like, and the whole atmosphere, at least at this point, is reminding me of Crystal Chronicles, which is fantastic. This is also a really nice looking PS1 game. I mean, I'm looking at it and I'm able to say "this doesn't look terribly janky," which is much more than I can say for VII and VIII. As long as things don't start falling apart, this game really looks like it's on track to be by far my favorite out of the PS1 games, and quite possibly one of my favorites in the series overall.

jaxword

Im in the middle of exams, so I have no time I'd love to go through final fantasy tactics again some time. Sooo good.

Yeah, especially as the ending has now been 100% clarified and all those people arguing over it have their arguments put to rest.

CorvoSol

I made it to Salamand in FF2. I dislike how I have to literally beat Maria bloody every fight or she won't gain any HP at all. Everybody else gains HP from time to time, but she's still not even over 100.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I did a little test with remotejoy + fraps :

Maybe it's just me but you should have made it more clear that this image was a link. I only noticed after about 5 minutes.
Seems the sound crackles a bit and there's some slowdown. I hope it doesn't get worse in the actual game.

Boogiepop

Loving FFIX! Got up to the grotto. Picked up Quina before hand, and "eating" monsters is a pretty neat thing, even if it can be a LITTLE tricky to pull off (but on the other hand I already have like 5 different abilities, including Mighty Guard, so yay!), especially when I'm also focusing on stealing everything I possible can, heh. Nice that it warns you when something can't be eaten (tried to eat the black mage guys, but that didn't work.) Decided to take a break when, after saving, I climbed up a rope and ran into a random battle with a dragon that did about 2000-4000 a piece to my characters. I'm going to guess I'm not supposed to fight that yet, heh.

Also spent probably at least an hour doing the Chocobo hot-cold. Got about 6 chocographs (and a piece) or w/e and then noticed they weren't in areas I could reach anymore, so I decided to move on for the moment being. I'm assuming its not a problem doing the Chocobo forest stuff at your own pace?

chris-013

Maybe it's just me but you should have made it more clear that this image was a link. I only noticed after about 5 minutes.
Seems the sound crackles a bit and there's some slowdown. I hope it doesn't get worse in the actual game.

I removed the image.
Yes, there are some sound crackles in the intro. I will see if I can do something about that.

Edit : I can't do anything with the sound crackles... It's strange, I did another test with Chrono Cross and the sound is perfect !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y1nAWABKJU&feature=plcp
(Btw, the third character, randomly generated, being leena is a little funny !)

chris-013

So let's ride a chocobo with Delita in the intro :
2QckK.png

FFT PSP - Intro

The first battle at Orbonne Monastery :
QbZp9.png

FFT PSP - Battle 01 : Orbonne Monastery

kreav.png

Then Delita punch the princess and he kidnap her.

ViUMJ.png

Ramza doesn't believe his friend is still alive !

DarkKyo

Been playing FF9 for a few nights now in bed on my PSP. Last time I played it was years and years ago on PSX so I'm pretty pumped to get into it again.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I Haven't had time to keep my FF8 play through going. I'm still really early in my play through of it, I'm at the tower where I fight Biggs and Wedge.

Doing a FFXIII play. This game is awful. Way WAY too many cut scenes, the combat actually is interesting but the story is just stupid and wacky. Really not enjoying it too much but i'm in Chapter 8 so just persevering to the end....Someone tell me its close....

Also really hate the way summons are handled in this game. Will not play -2

chris-013

Barbaneth Beoulve, Ramza's father, on his deathbed :
VkSmn.png

The next battle is on the way to the Eagrose castle, the Mandalia Plain.
The Corpse Brigade has taken a hostage !
WGa8B.png

After defeating the brigade, we learn the hostage's name, Argath. He seeks help to save the marquis Elmdore.
K5OYb.png

FFT PSP Battle 03 : Mandalia Plain

We are back at the castle, Ramza is praised by his brother, Dycedarg :
F1NiG.png

Argath is put down by Dycedarg about his rank :
5m31z.png

Family reunion ! Alma and Zalbaag, Ramza's sister and brother and Tietra, Delita's sister :
dO2k8.png

Zalbaag told us where the Marquis is held captive :
CfWQi.png

FFT PSP Eagrose Castle

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
What should I play from my backlog, FF 12 or X-2? I played X for a good 25 hours or so back in the winter of 01-02 but it got stolen and I never finished it. I was enjoying it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
X-2 is the better game. But they are very different in style. So look at one or two videos for each and pick the game that better fits your mood.

.JayZii

Banned
What should I play from my backlog, FF 12 or X-2? I played X for a good 25 hours or so back in the winter of 01-02 but it got stolen and I never finished it. I was enjoying it.

Just play 12, especially if you never finished X. X-2's battle/job system is great but everything else about it can be pretty painful depending on who you ask.

Honestly, I would say to track down another copy of X and finish it.

chris-013

On the way to Dorter, we fight monsters in the wood :
f5Mf8.png

FFT PSP Battle 04 : The Siedge Weald

Let's the challenge begins !
So before Dorter I grinded a lot of jp to unlock samurai for Ramza and 4 other characters to respect the rules of the challenge.
Now I'm stuck with only samurai skills... I can't even use katanas because they are sold in chapter 2. So let's punch and run while Delita and Argath do their work.

It seems we are not the only one to seek the Marquis...
RszmZ.png

Wiegraf, the commander of the Corpse Brigade, escapes ! It's the first battle against scary wizards !
wPOEH.png

Jack Bauer.. Hum I mean Argath interrogate the prisoner !
ntDLD.png

FFT PSP Battle 05 : Dorter

The next destination is the Desert ! I will have a better video compression for the next videos. ^^

Boogiepop

Been playing some more IX, just got Ramuh.

Quick kinda of off topic question: In playing through VIII and IX on my PS3, I've noticed that whenever I have to plug in the controller to charge, the games will no longer allow me to use the left analog for movement, and it stays this way until I reset the game, even if I pull the cord out. Is this a known issue that has a work around, or something I just have to deal with? It's not a huge issue, but it has been a definite pain being stuck with D-pad movement whenever I run out of power.

CorvoSol

Just got the Mythril in II. Ugh, thanks so much for helping the resistance Tobul. I'm so glad you've decided to reward my giving you your life's dream by SELLING ME THE MYTHRIL I JUST GAVE BACK TO YOU. Don't cry to me when the Emperor skins you alive.

jaxword

12 is like a single player MMO in its battles. You can override the other characters' actions or you can let them fight like you're in a raid. The game suffers a bit from the obvious change in management, so some areas are incredibly detailed where others lack. It's a far longer and slower paced FF game, and there's a LOT of world-exploring and background details.

FFx-2 is far, far faster paced in story and engine. The job system is a lot of fun, though some jobs are flat out broken. Also, some people throw tantrums over the GIRL POWERRR stuff but only if you're an idiot. The story is very much "what happened AFTER you save the world", which is a rarity in jRpgs. Its length is probably 1/2 of 12, because you can spend hours and hours exploring 12's sidequests.

Music wise, x-2 is more fast paced (though there's some really, really nice ones. 12 is much more grandiose and has the "epic world" feel.

12 is also the prequel to Final Fantasy Tactics. That gives it points as well.

I'd play X-2 first, because it'll be done faster, then you can explore 12.

CorvoSol

Almost done with my second run through Type-0. I got the airship and I gotta say . . . Orience feels so much smaller from the air. Also the
L'Cie
mission where you fight Gilgamesh has to be one of the most fun missions in the game. I felt like such a badass. I love some of the environments in this game and wish you could visit them outside of missions. Particularly the ones in Concordia. I did this mission where you climb this huge island fortress and then fight in this spring and there were rainbows and junk everywhere. It satisfied my otherwise missing need to storm a castle in this game.

In Mystic Quest Phoebe just abandoned me in the middle of the Ice Pyramid. What the heck, man. Can't you at least wait till we get back to town to leave my party? You're worse than Tristam, Phoebe. WORSE.

And in FF2 I am continuing to attempt to make it to Mysidia hecka early in the game. It's not gonna happen, though, because as soon as I cross that stupid river, I die. Does anybody remember if chocobos can cross rivers in this game?

CorvoSol

I'm considering running through Type-0 a third time, and finally attempting Agito Tower and fighting 8AG, but I dunno. That I'm considering playing it a third time straight tells you how much I enjoyed it.

In FF2, I took the Chocobo from Kashuan to Mysidia, and now have Holy just after having gotten Mythril. My team is a little magic heavy, so I might build up a bit more before leaving. Sucks that I can't have any one character knowing every spell in the game, but there you have it. I think I'll save space for Ultima on Firion and Flare on Guy. Is Flare even in this game?

In MQ I made it out of the stupid pyramid and was doing battlefields when one of them wigged out. Now I'm on battle 251/10. No idea what happened there. At all.

Still trying to decide if I want to play through XIII-2's extra stuff so I can see the secret ending or whatever.

Mxrz

I always disliked Delita, and Ramza for not smacking him down. FFT is a good game, but the plot & main characters were aggravating. Your group was just so passive about everything.

I'm considering running through Type-0 a third time, and finally attempting Agito Tower and fighting 8AG, but I dunno. That I'm considering playing it a third time straight tells you how much I enjoyed it.

Are you playing the japan import? I'd like to play but can't read/understand japanese..

Entropia

No One Remembers
Skipped playing 8, onto 9!

God I love this game. Just got out of the Ice Cavern. I feel that out the of all the Playstation and beyond era games, this has the most charm that I think is lacking in the most recent games. I get all fuzzy when I hear the theme song <3

Mit-

I've been on a quest to complete all the major FF games since last year. So far I've done I, II, IV, V and am on VI. I skipped III because I played that not too long ago when it came out on DS and didn't enjoy it very much.

VI is pretty cool so far, but the combat/management doesn't seem as addicting, and I'm really not looking forward to managing tons of characters in this and future FF titles.

When do they cut the "100 playable characters!" thing and just go back to 3 or 4? XII? XIII?

Mit-

Playing FFXII Zodiac, the fast forward is so good !

Is this worth it? I just learned of this from your post. Fast forward sounds amazing. However I plan on playing undubs for X and X-2 because the voice acting is so atrocious. I hear the International Zodiac version uses the English voices. Are they bad? :(

I've been on a quest to complete all the major FF games since last year. So far I've done I, II, IV, V and am on VI. I skipped III because I played that not too long ago when it came out on DS and didn't enjoy it very much.

VI is pretty cool so far, but the combat/management doesn't seem as addicting, and I'm really not looking forward to managing tons of characters in this and future FF titles.

When do they cut the "100 playable characters!" thing and just go back to 3 or 4? XII? XIII?

There are less characters as the games go by (FF9 only has 8 compared to FF6's FOURTEEN CHARACTERS), but I can understand if it's still a lot for you.

CorvoSol

Are you playing the japan import? I'd like to play but can't read/understand japanese..

Yes. It isn't that hard to figure out what to do and such, but the story is something you'll completely miss out on. The GameFAQs community was mostly helpful for getting through the game. I used this spreadsheet to get through the game. It's the only sort of strategy guide that exists afaik.

Got Josef in FF2. Made him accompany me back to Mysidia because he has 200 HP and needs to toughen up a bit. I don't think I'll bother building up Gordon or Leila, but these chumps who'll be my party in SoR need some strengthening.

Stuck in FFMQ. I'm ashamed to admit I can't figure out how to get through the Focus Tower to Fireburg.

CorvoSol

I do that, but then the pillar I pushed moves back to where it was at first. I can't really figure out how to make that pillar stay so i can cross.

chris-013

Wow, the story in FFXII really feels like final fantasy tactics had a baby with star wars ! Anyway the game is huge and hard. (I heard the international version is easier...)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I do that, but then the pillar I pushed moves back to where it was at first. I can't really figure out how to make that pillar stay so i can cross.
You've gotta do this:

Juz4j.png

I'll have the next part of my playthrough of it tonight or tomorrow. Playing through it doesn't take a lot of time, but putting it all in one cohesive post with snarky jokes does. :p

CorvoSol

You've gotta do this:

Juz4j.png

I'll have the next part of my playthrough of it tonight or tomorrow. Playing through it doesn't take a lot of time, but putting it all in one cohesive post with snarky jokes does. :p

Thanks! Now I have Reuben and am ready to tackle that 250 Battle Field. Anxious to know what happens when I clear it.

I've also been playing FFVII NES. It's okay, but fights last WAAAY too long. The difficulty in this game is obnoxious.

Natetan

Got Josef in FF2. Made him accompany me back to Mysidia because he has 200 HP and needs to toughen up a bit. I don't think I'll bother building up Gordon or Leila, but these chumps who'll be my party in SoR need some strengthening.

I usually just get him swap and some equipment from mysidia from when im grinding down there just before I get Josef. But actually you don't need to grind him much if he and Minhwu have the mysidia bought equipment on them when they die. Minhwu can whoop ass with the power staff or whatever, and josef will be able to move up pretty quickly as you work through the cave in SOR. I never use him barefisted, always with a staff and a shield. Honestly I find him pretty useless...

I always find it interesting how powerful staffs are in FF2. I ignored them for most of my first playthrough, but then i saw the light.

CorvoSol

I usually just get him swap and some equipment from mysidia from when im grinding down there just before I get Josef. But actually you don't need to grind him much if he and Minhwu have the mysidia bought equipment on them when they die. Minhwu can whoop ass with the power staff or whatever, and josef will be able to move up pretty quickly as you work through the cave in SOR. I never use him barefisted, always with a staff and a shield. Honestly I find him pretty useless...

I always find it interesting how powerful staffs are in FF2. I ignored them for most of my first playthrough, but then i saw the light.

Yeah, I basically bought stuff and left. I haven't the patience for grinding any more. It's a really dated mechanism in RPGs, I feel.

Which would be my frustration with 7 NES. Cloud's level 400, has less than 1000 HP, and does a mere double digits with his sword. This game is SO HARD. I'm not even to Cosmo Canyon yet. UUUUUUGH.

Got the Megabombs in MQ. Not sure if I want to advance yet, or go back to the glitchy battlefield and build up more. Down to 220 fights on it!

And screw the stupid Library in Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time. Place is long, the music becomes grating after awhile, and the puzzles are obtuse. And the AI in this game is atrocious. Instead of 4 party members, I have 1 party member and 3-headed NPC that occasionally decides to cast whatever spell I'm already casting or take a swing at an enemy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ahhhhhh, finished exams and I'm basically 'vacationing' right now. (ie: not going to do work for a few days).

So. Let's carry on.

Last time on Megaman Legends Gaiden... we found out that Dr. Light is an effing cheapskate since Megaman's allowance is 2 GP a month and a cup of coffee costs 10 GP. wtf is this madness? Oh, and we find out that the Crystal of Fire is in the least obvious place.

o1dJQ.png

We&#8217;re in the volcano right now. I&#8217;ve actually gone through this dungeon three times before without getting the mask to clear up the smog. Let&#8217;s just hope that neither Megaman nor Reuben have asthma.

CAtXz.gif
Lava Dome

First of all: that music! Sasai, you guitar god. Come back to game composition, please. It&#8217;s one of my favourite BGMs on this soundtrack, and I think he should&#8217;ve done more of this kind of stuff. I wonder if he could have composed something as close as Mori's Mystic Ark OST (btw, go listen to the Mystic Ark OST since that soundtrack is one of my favourite SNES soundtracks ever). I can only imagine what he can do now since he can add stuff with live instruments now. :3

Er, since I&#8217;m capping screens for a &#8220;Let&#8217;s Play&#8221;-esque post, I&#8217;ll get the mask. I think doing this dungeon without the mask is interesting and you&#8217;re forced to search every nook and cranny for enemies if you&#8217;re not skipping battles. Thankfully, there aren&#8217;t a lot of enemies around, and you can probably guess where enemies are anyway.

But first, let&#8217;s get the spell in this dungeon that does a hell of a lot of damage for the better part of the game!

LJIun.png
L8b4O.png

White is a Wizard Spell (so this is why I bought a ton of seeds). White is the second-strongest spell in the game after Flare. It isn&#8217;t a holy-focused attack, but rather, it&#8217;s a non-elemental attack. So you can totally use it against anything and it&#8217;ll dish out massive damage as long as Megaman&#8217;s magic stat is good. I also love the sound effect and the spell effect in general. Actually, I think I like most of the SFX in this game.

So anyway, I mentioned the mask because if you keep progressing throughout the Volcano for a bit, you&#8217;ll run into this:

Xyomk.png

The volcano likely has a ton of gases and ash and a bunch of other stuff that is generally reducing visibility since it&#8217;s about to blow. What you can&#8217;t see in that shot is that there are a few monsters lurking there. So, it&#8217;s much like the Pyramid in that regard, only not as stupid.

What you need to do is go on the left-hand path on the first screen and go up the stairs there. Keep going until you find this staircase so you can get the mask:

E21CB.png
0Trjn.png
qRDrf.png

And now you&#8217;re free to see all of the monsters in this dungeon in the gaseous bits:

kM17J.png

Eventually, you&#8217;ll find yourself up against the boss:

QjjnT.png

She isn&#8217;t that difficult.

LuzAT.png
p1uLi.png
o4JPD.png

So we have the mythical Medusa to contend with today! She has no weaknesses, uses status attacks like crazy, and is resistant against Water, Wind, and Thunder spells.

Just keep using White on her. She&#8217;ll end up losing her snake locks and die quickly.

And if we go down the stairwell she was blocking, we&#8217;ll be dumped back on the world map.

COSAl.png
vZPvx.png

Now, to the Lava Dome! What is a lava dome? In geology, it&#8217;s a circular protrusion due to slow eruptions of lava from a volcano. The dome shape prevents the lava from flowing far since the lava&#8217;s highly viscous. The US volcano, Mt. St. Helens, is a good example of one. Let&#8217;s be careful here, then, alright?

asVC6.png

So, um, this dungeon is long. I don&#8217;t like getting tired of the BGM because I love it, so I usually put other stuff on. If you want, here&#8217;s a list of the stuff I listened to while I went through this dungeon. I&#8217;ll only share highlights of the dungeon, too, because you don&#8217;t want me to go through every area that I got into a battle at, do you?

CAtXz.gif

Famicom Genkidama
T-Square &#8211; Truth (that guitar solo!)
The Weakerthans &#8211; Sun in an Empty Room
Arctic Monkeys &#8211; Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor
Jamiroquai &#8211; Canned Heat
Daft Punk &#8211; Around the World
Rise Against &#8211; The First Drop
USS &#8211; Anti-Venom (these guys are great live, btw)
Queens of the Stone Age &#8211; River in the Road (the shitty quality on YouTube doesn&#8217;t do how the guitars are being played justice at all.)
Aida &#8211; A Step Too Far (probably the best piece in the musical because of the harmonies alone, outside of Written In The Stars)
Jamiroquai &#8211; Love Foolosophy

oh god now you know about my shitty taste in music. :x If it&#8217;s any consolation, I haven&#8217;t actively listened to the radio in probably 4-5 years now.

Now for the dungeony bits.

v9s7y.png
VxtJi.png

Earlier in the thread, Jucksalbe had put forth a good argument as to why the Lava Dome is just as bad as, if not worse than, the Pyramid. It&#8217;s a fair point, considering the enemy count in the Lava Dome is likely more than the Pyramid count given all of the enemy clusters in here. I feel as though the dungeon is less demanding of you because a) you have access to seeds&#8212;quick bouts of White and Blizzard can wipe anything out, and b) the enemies are spread around so much that you can just beat one or just a few in a cluster and go on ahead (but I like clearing out the map, so&#8230;).

It isn't as awful because you can 1-shot enemies with either Reuben or White (as long as there are two enemies on the field, in the case of White).

Also, Megaman levelled up to a point where we can see how he matches up with Reuben now:

0t9Qt.png

The disparity isn&#8217;t that awful. I chose to compare Megaman with his Axe equipped since that&#8217;s the largest damage dealer (remember: bombs are not a good indicator of damage given that they&#8217;re AoE attacks and they don&#8217;t power up along with you). Reuben&#8217;s still the better physical character by a mile. But we have no choice but to use Megaman as a mage since he has a ton of spells at his disposal at the moment.

I also got to the point where Reuben and Megaman are at equal HP. I like comparing stats at this point because&#8230;

86Aco.png

&#8230;we have greater speed, defense, accuracy, and evade than Reuben now. Our magic stat is now on-par.

What I didn&#8217;t capture is the part where I was a fucking idiot and used Exit instead of Cure out of battle meaning that I had to traverse half of the Lava Dome again to get to the boss room again. Ugh, I&#8217;m lucky I know the dungeon pretty well otherwise I would&#8217;ve probably done the entire dungeon over again. That did not do well for my playtime at all. How embarrassing.

Anyway, we get a few new things in this dungeon:

Ee0JJ.png

The Life spell. Usually, you want to use this spell as a full-cure (field/battle)/Esuna (in battle only), attacking undead/zombie enemies, or reviving party members (though it isn&#8217;t necessary given that they don&#8217;t get XP at the end). So now we have all the White Spells in the game.

OEMSr.png
OimVa.png

We also get the Moon Helm. We are finally resistant against fire! It also increases our defense by 9, increases Evade by 5, and strength by 2. We&#8217;re slowly getting there, I guess.

These are things I found really cool as a kid:

2pl1V.png
ttTbY.png

I always loved how the gold pieces looked. You can jump over them, of course, but I liked how the glint on them was animated. And the lava flow animation was nice too.

MDO6K.png

This pic is a good way to show that the volcano map is circular, or looping. You can see this chest if you get that chest on the left (since you get that chest when you approach it from the right side). I think it&#8217;s nice.

wzuFe.png
IQHwW.png

Why is this even a thing?!

Now this is the boss room with lava everywhere:

XaAUI.png

This is the boss:

rSDih.png
eeUxa.png

They just can&#8217;t be bothered with wicked insults anymore. I forgot to capture his first form, but it doesn&#8217;t matter. There&#8217;s an image anyway.

CAtXz.gif
Battle 2

aKQwC.png
Zzazg.png
HonZ5.png
jkZaq.png

Dualhead Hydra is not-so-shockingly strong against Fire (it has flame breath). It doesn&#8217;t have any weaknesses. Like Medusa, it seems to like inflicting status attacks on you like poison, paralysis and stone. Nuke him with White. He&#8217;ll go down quickly.

Might I add that Fire Breath does 300+ HP worth of damage so if you missed the Moon Helm, you'll be healing a lot.

Wqdhf.png

oh my gosh, arion was right the crystal of fire is in the lava dome he&#8217;s a geniussss

*ahem* Well, there&#8217;s the obligatory dialogue segment, so let&#8217;s see if Reuben&#8217;s going to abandon us like Phoebe and Tristam did.

qlh9s.png
fpBO7.png

Oh. Someone from Windia said something about a crystal? I wonder what element it&#8217;s going to be! It&#8217;s not going to be the obvious answer, is it?
NgaCp.png

But the best part of this dialogue exchange is that Reuben didn&#8217;t leave! A true bro. Give it up for Reuben, folks!

The ground shakes and something happens. I hope the volcano doesn&#8217;t explode. Oh wait.

TwVVV.png
olHJ7.png
A07j0.png

Welp. I hope no one died. (This is FFMQ. Of course no one died.)

wDDHG.png

Get this so you never have to trudge through the dungeon again.

Oh look, a shortcut.

pl4SK.png

Cleared out the battlefield. Only offered experience.

xW74B.png

At least the quakes aren&#8217;t happening anymore! Also, if you go back to Arion, he&#8217;ll say that the quakes stop happening when the volcano erupted. Dude, you live in fucking Fireburg, and it&#8217;s obvious that you&#8217;re close to fault line. No, you know what. I&#8217;ll just leave it alone. :|

Why is that bridge below the battlefield still intact? This makes no sense. It should be burned given its proximity to the lava flow.. Nothing makes sense in this game.

Next time: We wish we could go to the final dungeon already, but we have to talk to trees instead.

Edit: OH! I haven't explained what Refreshers are. I don't think anyone really uses them. Refreshers are just things you use during battle to cure reduced stats. Yes. They are useless.

Edit2: Because I'm an idiot and warped out of the Lava Dome by accident, I didn't do the battle with Dualhead Hydra at Level 26 and thus didn't have a low EXP count going in. This means I couldn't take advantage of the Double-Level glitch. Mystic Quest's level system is a little wonky because it doesn't reset your To Next Level counter until after the battle ends. Because you get extra experience and your counter is low enough, it'll level you up twice because the game thinks you just need a minimum amount of experience still. It'll still level you up twice.

I SHOULD be at Level 28 right now, but I'm not because of my mistake. Too bad.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Around 23 hours into Final Fantasy VII right now. Just passed one of my favorite scenes in the game:

AwNTE7ICMAIAb5g.jpg

I'm reminded of how much I adore VII's Cid over some of the other ones in the series.

CorvoSol

So I just had Josef fail the Indiana Jones Rolling Boulder of Doom, and good riddance. Guy was dead weight. That said, having made the trip to Mysidia, I have to say there's like, no challenge left in this game. On average I take 200 damage a dungeon. It's pretty sad.

Been building up in the area of Fireburg. Only 200 fights left on my glitchy battlefield in MQ!

Still can't even find Cosmo Canyon in FF7 NES. I wonder if the game's map is at all like the one from FF7. Given there's no map to look at, it's hard to say. The pathetic damage I do is driving me more and more to seek a cheat code of some manner.

No progress in EoT. Screw that Library. No patience for it. None.

And even though it isn't really FF, I just got my first couple of magicite--I mean materia--excuse me, MAGI in FFL2. Speed, Power and Mana. Power is the only one with any visible effect thus far.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Last time on Megaman Legends Gaiden&#8230; well, you can just look up the page, but Megaman and Reuben healed the world but a volcano exploded in their faces.

Now we have to set out for Windia to investigate this rumour about a crystal that Reuben heard about. Pfft. What kind of elemental could Windia have? I bet it&#8217;s nothing. To the Focus Tower, we go!

&#8216;Sup, Master Roshi?

EdQSw.png
1md9V.png
yMCIt.png

I don&#8217;t think Megaman likes Master Roshi much. He usually looks pretty pissed after talking to him, but who can blame him? Roshi shows up out of nowhere on his Flying Nimbus telling him where to go, asking him for spare change, telling him about shitty new allies (ex: Phoebe)&#8230; Really, Master Roshi&#8217;s kind of a jerk.

uMBLR.png
d6K8a.png

Anyway, let&#8217;s go down this staircase. It looks like it leads us to somewhere near the base of the tower where there&#8217;s another staircase.

5VnKC.png

CAtXz.gif
Last Castlehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L59y977ZpaQ

Holy shit, we&#8217;re in a Doom Castle.

Holy shit. that music.

Holy shit, treasure chest.

Let&#8217;s stay here for the rest of our lives. We can just jump into the sandpit and rush the Doom Castle&#8217;s boss. I bet he isn&#8217;t hard.
8iJ7Q.gif

But seriously, this music is awesome. It&#8217;s one of my favourite Sasai pieces and one of my favourite&#8212;if not my favourite&#8212;final dungeon themes ever. I&#8217;ll elaborate on why in a later entry because, sadly, we have to move on&#8230; :/

ETNjl.png

The enemy here consists of bunch of enemies that aren&#8217;t hard. Use Cure on the middle one or get Reuben to whack it for a OHKO, and then use White on everything else. We get access to the Treasure Chest as a reward.

ikgB0.png
YoSBw.png

Aero is the fourth and final Black Magic spell in the game. Now we&#8217;ve completed the White and Black magic spellsets so now we have the strongest spells in the game to get. This is going to be very helpful in the Windia area because the enemies there are inexplicably weak against Wind. You&#8217;ll also have an extra tactic against flying enemies as well, since Megaman doesn&#8217;t have a Shoot attack like Phoebe and Tristam do.

Now it&#8217;s time to leave. We&#8217;ll be back to listen to the awesome music again, I promise.

L3lZC.png
7iRs0.png

Our next destination is the Rope Bridge. It&#8217;s not well-maintained and it&#8217;s bigger than our character sprites. Who built this shit.

ftC8q.png

Oh no! It&#8217;s a monster~

ppCuB.png

No. Stop. You can&#8217;t. It's a trap. Grumble, grumble...

5DkSh.png

Anyway, Reuben gets knocked off the bridge and onto a cliff, and I&#8217;ve always envisioned this scene as Megaman just sighing and muttering, &#8220;The shit I have to put up with&#8230;&#8221; before he takes the enemy on himself.

ljy2w.png

The mummy is actually weak against more stuff than that. It&#8217;s weak against Thunder, Wind, Holy, and Water attacks. It&#8217;s pathetically easy, and it&#8217;s just too bad Reuben had no magic on him to fend off against it. It likes to use a lot of status ailment attacks, and we all know how susceptible Reuben is to that stuff.

VoF8u.png

I just love the sight of Megaman dangling from a huge vine and calling out to Reuben since it&#8217;s like he&#8217;s hanging on for his dear life since he can put himself in a worse predicament at any moment.

K8jt5.png

CAtXz.gif
Rock Themehttp://youtu.be/gvzxcNhGn-Q

Megaman: &#8220;I hear music all of a sudden. Shit, it couldn&#8217;t be!&#8221;

Yes, the rightful star of Kingdom Hearts is here.

gIlTY.png
blhxq.png
8pF26.png

What the&#8230; No one in this game gives a fuck about anything! There&#8217;s a guy down there with likely no way to get back up, but who cares, new party member!! What? That other guy? Fuck him! Who needs him!

This game&#8230; :lol

NRr5c.png
0mDsp.png
Iuuxl.png

So Reuben&#8217;s still stuck down here, but we can get some stuff if we climb down the vines. This is where you can get free Seeds, btw, with little trouble, so stock up.

BoBgA.png

Our next stop is Alive Forest. The trees are arranged in an arrow that&#8230; points at the exit for some reason.

epbAg.gif
Beautiful Forest

But first, now that we&#8217;ve leveled up, let check up on Tristam&#8217;s stats against our own. Let&#8217;s see if he&#8217;s worth Reuben&#8217;s loss.

DWaHQ.png

Well, that&#8217;s good for us, but not good for Tristam. When we had Reuben, he was dealing over 600 HP worth of damage to an enemy. Tristam deals about 300 or so, and the only thing he&#8217;s truly effective against are flying enemies. The only thing he beats Megaman at is speed because he&#8217;s a ninja/thief class ally. No, this isn&#8217;t a good thing at all. We&#8217;re at a point where we can 1-shot a group of two enemies. In cases like that, it&#8217;s best to leave Tristam to defend unless we&#8217;re up against three flying enemies.

of11e.png

The Alive Forest has a weapon for us. It&#8217;s our final Axe. The Golden Axe. Giant&#8217;s Axe. Whatever. The nice thing about the Golden Axe is that the attack animation changes to a vague image of the Golden Axe. It&#8217;s lovely.

nR7vb.png

The Giant&#8217;s Axe provides a strength increase of a whopping +105! You&#8217;ll think that this is going to be our weapon for the next little while, and while you&#8217;re right at the moment, that&#8217;ll change with the next narrative point. For now, let&#8217;s leave the Axe equipped.

Xg3Py.png

This tree has a face. He has a moustache, so I&#8217;m guessing he&#8217;s supposed to be Sakaguchi.

O8re6.png

That works so well, Megaman. Get Wood Man on your side or something. He&#8217;ll know what to do.

JHQNr.png

jOtUF.png
Wjcdq.png
AXBpL.png

Tristam, you&#8217;re so smart!

...Talking to trees is a shitty power. Convenient, but shitty. Talking to animals is useful. Talking to trees? Eh.

I&#8217;ll explore Alive Forest&#8217;s warps in a later entry, since we don&#8217;t have the last crest yet. They aren&#8217;t special, but if you need things for free and want to do it in a cumbersome way, use Alive Forest&#8217;s warps.

Now we have to go to stupid Aquaria. Get used to this backtracking, because this section makes us do it a lot. I don&#8217;t want to go to Aquaria. Aquaria sucks and its citizens are boring and individualistic. :/

wWkNI.png

Let&#8217;s raid Phoebe&#8217;s house because I don&#8217;t like her.

7fiSK.png

I think she poisoned Kaeli and just wants to hide the evidence.

tB0Ic.png

Her grandpa&#8217;s still working alone?! Does no one in this town like him or something? Shit, of course he&#8217;s not getting far. He&#8217;s still digging with a spoon.

5gUGe.png
yq3cL.png

Who&#8217;s Otto? Does he love to get blotto? The person with me is the real star of Kingdom Hearts.

602DX.png

Or a Treasure Hunter. Whatever you do, don&#8217;t mention any snazzy armour or treasure to him because he&#8217;ll want to--&#8230;

d8Fju.png
1iUUv.png
0W6vN.png

...Leave...

i7XMc.png

Why do you people keep abandoning me?

eXfaV.png
hFw4z.png
OwluF.png

Naw, I can&#8217;t be mad at him. Not when he gave me one of the most helpful items in the game.

NeBvt.png

What are you doing here? I don't like you! I can&#8217;t handle all this drama. This game has been drama-free for the most part and I want to keep it that way. No drama = good.

iw6tN.png

Oh, ohhhhhhhh, this is why Phoebe couldn&#8217;t use the Jumbo Bombs on her own. She sucks at using them. How did Megaman learn how to use them successfully, then, when Phoebe was the one teaching him how to use them? Never mind. This is Mystic Quest. Logic is not a &#8216;thing&#8217; in this game.

jAC2C.png

And now she&#8217;s in deep shit! Ahahaha. Well, she deserves that.

eWcDS.png

Let&#8217;s analyze this weapon first. The Dragon Claw offers a battle power of 80, but it compensates for its shortcomings by allowing Megaman to inflict a series of status effects on an enemy such as: Poison, Paralyze, Sleep, Blind, Confusion, Silence, and Stone. That last one is crucial to us because that basically means that we can insta-death an enemy. On the field, it can be used as a grappling hook to go across chasms and gaps.

And now let&#8217;s return to Kaeli. If she isn&#8217;t dead, of course.

MBuvf.png

I&#8217;m just as shocked as you are, Rock.

uH5B9.png
c8eiH.png

Please let Otto be a bus driver who loves to get blotto. And Kaeli joins just because with no &#8220;yes&#8221; or &#8220;yeah, I have nothing better to do&#8221; dialogue from her. Let&#8217;s look at her stats.

tMg68.png

She&#8217;s better than us. In many ways. Ignore the side that says what she&#8217;s strong against because that&#8217;s erroneous. She&#8217;s strong against Water, Petrify, and Silence. She has slightly better defense, but we&#8217;ll be over that pretty soon. I do not have the Axe equipped at the moment since we&#8217;ll be using magic to exploit weaknesses or petrifying enemies with the claw.

qYzZX.png
nicWx.png

She now carries the Aero spell, and she comes equipped with your old Steel Helm that doesn&#8217;t offer any other protection outside of a boost of 4.

Now let&#8217;s roll back to Alive Forest so that Kaeli can showcase her magical gift to us.

DUQvz.png
qvx6W.png

&#8220;whack the monsters inside of me&#8221;. Well, at least he&#8217;s straight to the point, and he's not referring to metaphorical stuff either. Not like Kaeli and her formal approach to talking to trees. Look at the way he talks. Shift to another speech register, darling.

sUgfL.png

My, what a big mouth you have. You can&#8217;t be that big. I bet you&#8217;re just one floor and the boss is on the base floor you&#8217;re letting us in on. This will be a piece of ca&#8212;

gDXSO.png

...oh god nooooo...

Next time: I get pissed with the dungeon design.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Earlier in the thread, Jucksalbe had put forth a good argument as to why the Lava Dome is just as bad as, if not worse than, the Pyramid. It’s a fair point, considering the enemy count in the Lava Dome is likely more than the Pyramid count given all of the enemy clusters in here. I feel as though the dungeon is less demanding of you because a) you have access to seeds—quick bouts of White and Blizzard can wipe anything out, and b) the enemies are spread around so much that you can just beat one or just a few in a cluster and go on ahead (but I like clearing out the map, so…).
Somehow I'm always very reluctant to use much of my magic in random encounters, even though you can have more seeds than you'll ever need at this point. That's why I find this dungeon so much more tedious. I should count the amount of enemies in both dungeons, I wonder which one has more. Or I could just use more magic.

Edit2: Because I'm an idiot and warped out of the Lava Dome by accident, I didn't do the battle with Dualhead Hydra at Level 26 and thus didn't have a low EXP count going in. This means I couldn't take advantage of the Double-Level glitch. Mystic Quest's level system is a little wonky because it doesn't reset your To Next Level counter until after the battle ends. Because you get extra experience and your counter is low enough, it'll level you up twice because the game thinks you just need a minimum amount of experience still. It'll still level you up twice.
It's only useful for a short while, though, because you need the experience of two levels to level up again afterwards.

Holy shit, we’re in a Doom Castle.

Holy shit. that music.

Holy shit, treasure chest.

Let’s stay here for the rest of our lives. We can just jump into the sandpit and rush the Doom Castle’s boss. I bet he isn’t hard.
8iJ7Q.gif
I love that part, they give you a short glimpse of the final dungeon for no reason. Maybe they were so proud of that track, they didn't want to make you wait any longer. Or it's to motivate you to keep going when you reach the Focus Tower.

Naw, I can’t be mad at him. Not when he gave me one of the most helpful items in the game.
Yeah, which he practically steals from you in the beginning of the game.

Next time: I get pissed with the dungeon design.

Haha, sounds like fun.

Top Bottom