• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Inspired by this thread, I decided to finally dive into the FF series this year. I've been picking up entries that seemed interesting and/or were cheap over the years anyway, and have given a few minutes/hours time to a lot of them but never really sat down to complete them. So, here's my priority list:
  • FF1 (PSP)
  • FF2 (PSP)
  • FF3 (DS)
  • FF4 CC (PSP)
  • FF13 (PS3)
  • FFT:WotL (PSP)
I also own FF9 and can play my fiancé's copies of FF Origins, FF7 and FF10, but who knows if I'll have the patience/time/desire for those. Among other reasons, I don't particularly like being chained to a television these days.

So earlier this year I started FF1 PSP and got to a cave with a pretty ridiculous encounter rate (something like every other step) full of hill giants (or something like that). I wasn't having trouble with them IIRC, but that was pretty draining so it was like "ugh break time". It's been sitting there for months while I played a whole bunch of other stuff, whoops.

Maybe it's just my imagination or unfamiliarity with RPGs pre-Wild Arms, but the encounter rate in FF1 feels pretty weird. I get that there are set areas where it's deliberately high, but on the world map it almost seems like it's timer-based. I find myself avoiding menu use when I'm trying to get somewhere so I don't get bogged down. Anyway, I think I'll be picking it up again after I finish...

...FF3 DS. I was hoping to at least get a shot at the final boss yesterday but THAT TWO-HEADED DRAGON WRECKED MY SHIT ARGH. I had no trouble with Echidna and Ahriman so that was quite an unpleasant surprise.

This endgame marathon is kind of an asshole, but I'm a pretty patient gal. If I fail, having to do such a large part over again gives me time to level up jobs that might be more suited to taking on the Cloud. As an example: right now my best damage dealer is a Thief. Somehow I'm not sure that's going to go very well...

In general I'd say the game is a mixed bag, but I've had enough fun to want the PSP replacement. (I'm assuming it won't be hamstrung by an external messaging system.) Based on what Aeana's posted about the Famicom original I think I would have preferred a more faithful remake by far...but this is what we got, and it ain't half bad.

Boogiepop

Finished IX last night. It was definitely a fun ride, and I'd probably place it just below VI and equal V in terms of my favorites. Only thing I found pretty lame at the end is how the final boss was one of those "and suddenly, here's an all-powerful entity that was never mentioned before this point" types. Kinda meh. But man, caught me off guard how ridiculously powerful he was. Actually, even Kuja almost wrecked me with his "hey, I'm gonna cast Nova Flare like 3 times before you can move and recover at all." And then I actually thought the final boss wiped me at one point, but then I realized I had managed to get off an Auto-life on Dagger before that happened and I amazingly managed to turn it around for the win. Still, that was brutal. I was overpowered in everything but levels (had pretty much the best equipment and most of the skills mastered, was around level 50) and I still almost lost. Crazy stuff.

Not much more to say on the game. The big thing I can think of is that it would've been nice to see "Mug" work like the VIII Mug, as the way it is leaves Zidane just going "Steal, steal, steal" and little else for much of the game, until the end where he becomes essential. Also, Arc is a really, really awesome Summon. Too bad it was doing pretty small damage compared to Flare/Thievery, so I didn't really bother with it and just had Dagger on healing duty instead.

So, tonight it's on to X! Any tips to not get stuck in that one? Any big things I need to watch out for, or would I be safe just playing however I want?

Ourobolus

Banned
After finally finishing FFV during the Fiesta I should really get back to this. Now I've completed all of the 8-bit and 16-bit games this year (main entries), I had started FFVII, I have a save that I began early in the year/late last year in FFIX, and I have FFX/FFXII International saves that I've been meaning to get back to. Hm...what to do what to do...

Oh, I also have FFXIII and FFXIII-2 saves from when I started again this year. I can finish FFXIII easily, but it's almost painful to play XIII-2.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Somehow I'm always very reluctant to use much of my magic in random encounters, even though you can have more seeds than you'll ever need at this point. That's why I find this dungeon so much more tedious. I should count the amount of enemies in both dungeons, I wonder which one has more. Or I could just use more magic.
To be honest, I'm the same way in any other Final Fantasy/RPG. I don't like using magic much, especially if there are limitations on it like MP, so I mostly use physical attacks (I suppose in some instances that would make the game a little harder). This one is a huge exception because I'm not spending money on armour so I just use money for the "hey, do you want to buy ____ piece of equipment" parts, and also for buying seeds. You certainly get more than enough money in this game.

I'm betting that the Volcano has more enemies to kill off than the Pyramid, just because it has far more of those clusters, and more rooms to house those clusters.

It's only useful for a short while, though, because you need the experience of two levels to level up again afterwards.
And it all evens off anyway. You can't use it to break the level cap, for example. Plus there are only two battlefields left anyway which offer experience so it doesn't matter. What I find interesting about the game's level cap is that you still get more spell slots after Level 41 (though you don't get any stats up for Benjamin at Lv 41).

I love that part, they give you a short glimpse of the final dungeon for no reason. Maybe they were so proud of that track, they didn't want to make you wait any longer. Or it's to motivate you to keep going when you reach the Focus Tower.
Foreshadowing, I bet. The Focus Tower is
really a two-sided final dungeon in that respect, I guess. Plus it separates the lands in arbitrary ways (doors that are only unlocked via coins). That's something a villain would do!

Yeah, which he practically steals from you in the beginning of the game.
His rationalization for that was probably that it was too good for you to use at that point! Not good enough for kids with 2 GP allowances!

So, tonight it's on to X! Any tips to not get stuck in that one? Any big things I need to watch out for, or would I be safe just playing however I want?
Can't speak for the International/PAL version because I haven't played it and thus am not familiar with it, but it's quite difficult to get stuck in that game given that levelling isn't difficult. Watch out for enemy weaknesses and when selecting commands see how it impacts the turn order (ie: if it's to your advantage or not; for example: haste is your best friend for life). Luckily you can swap characters in and out of battle because they're all useful in some way (ex: Wakka has throw attacks which are strong against aerial enemies and they inflict status effects, Lulu is your primary black mage for most of the game, Yuna has restorative magic (tbh I never used Aeons except for the fights where you had to use them), Rikku is a thief but her Mix Overdrive is amazing, Tidus is your speed attacker, Kimahri is Kimahri (you can make him whoever you want but I usually send him into Wakka's field), Auron has a pierce attack). So it's best to use them whenever. Also, use all of them during a boss battle so they can get the XP (ex: if you don't want to use one party member, just make them take a shot, and on the next turn exchange them for someone else).

At the beginning, you'll roped into a Blitzball tournament, and it's best if you get the Jecht Shot on the ship when Tidus is tossing around the football. This way, it'll be easier for you to win, but even if you lose, the game will still go on. As a teenager, I remember getting really frustrated with it because I didn't have the Jecht Shot, so I had to load up an earlier save.

Generally I think people should play a game however they want.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Foreshadowing, I bet. The Focus Tower is
really a two-sided final dungeon in that respect, I guess. Plus it separates the lands in arbitrary ways (doors that are only unlocked via coins). That's something a villain would do!

I don't think just showing you part of the final dungeon still counts as foreshadowing. Also, I'm dumb, I meant Pazuzu's Tower and not the Focus Tower.

His rationalization for that was probably that it was too good for you to use at that point! Not good enough for kids with 2 GP allowances!
His real thoughts were "Gimme!".

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Last time on Megaman Legends Gaiden, we learn that bombs are dangerous things, and that the final dungeon music is the best thing ever.

So, this is usually the part of the game where I say to myself that I want to stop playing the game because this dungeon has a lot of stuff wrong with it, and it’s boring.

xqzfw.png
7Awrq.png

This thing could’ve just been monochromatic if they really wanted it to be. You have brown, light browns, red, black, and beige. This is a problem in almost all of this game’s dungeons, but it comes to a peak here because the colour brown is boring. Boring, boring, boring.

epbAg.gif
Beautiful Forest

Also, the music doesn’t change from the Alive Forest music. Now this could have been a good thing, but that BGM has been used in two field areas now, and it isn’t as compelling as Lava Dome or the upcoming Mountain Range of Whirlwinds. These are the alternative tracks for the Giant Tree:

epbAg.gif

Etrian Odyssey 2 - Ever-Scarlet Forest
Etrian Odyssey – The Withered Forest
Beyond the Beyond – The Tree
Terranigma – Under the Great Tree
Genso Suikoden – Black Forest
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past – Forest

CAtXz.gif

Alternative Battle Themes!
Arc the Lad – Battle 6
Arc the Lad – Battle 2

That about covers it. Let’s go.

So, the first thing you should probably notice on the first floor of the dungeon is that the Giant Tree is more of a giant maze (but with not that much thought put into it). That still doesn’t stop it from testing my patience. This dungeon completely screams "filler material". It isn't even that long, but it's remarkably boring.

qFRmw.png
08Dhl.png
UbfCu.png

We’re lucky that the enemies in this dungeon are all easy, but they have a key annoyance: they can and will inflict negative status effects on you, specifically Petrify (and this will end up being something you'll struggle with for a while). Notice that Kaeli came with a petrification resistance. We’re going to need that since Megaman is going to get petrified a lot. A few of the enemies in this dungeon come with the Doom attack (Tristam is the only character who is resistant to that), which can instakill you if it hits. Mad Toads are assholes, though. They don’t go down in one hit, they can counter with Poison, and they can petrify you. Live Oaks and Leeches are easy enemies because they can be 1-shotted with the Axe.

MXSWV.png

Oh, and I guess this is why Tristam gave you his toy. As I said in the previous entry, the Dragon Claw serves as a grappling hook. Because you have a new grappling hook, the developers decided to make this dungeon your training area for how to use it properly. So if you see a post, hookshot to it. It's not as cool as Zelda is, no. It's really boring and truly comes off as a hamfisted tutorial level. This is not a good thing.

X7FIz.png

This door is creepy.

Qq5wX.png

You’d think you could fall down here, but nope. But what’s the tree doing with all of these holes in here? I haven’t been fighting termites. Just slimes, ghosts, mummies, scorpions, frogs, and skeletons. And they're all just standing around doing nothing.

EIrH8.png

Hm. This area looks small. Wonder what it’s like inside?

YGC9p.png

What. The. Fuck.

This is one of the huge issues I have with the dungeon design, right here. Here, you have millions of little fungi growing in the tree and you need to cut them down while navigating the maze. It’s annoying. *sigh* It gets worse later on, but let’s go.

3t5ky.png

Go up here for loot.

qrJ15.png

CMLHF.gif
This is boring.

e4h1x.png
mfySG.png
5xabL.png

At least this is worth it! Meteor is the third Wizard class spell in the game. The spell effect is nice too. However, it’s an Earth Elemental spell, so watch where you use it.

Now let’s go back into the little sub-area again. It won’t be as bad because the stumps are cut down already.

UHu4H.png

Oh, fuck you, tree.
bCWsB.gif
When you cut trees or stumps down in this game and leave the map, the map will reload with them intact should you come back. These must be fucking magical fungi to reproduce at such a rapid rate. I shouldn't have to cut all of this garbage down again. It's so slow and inefficient. I know they can't make the map retain the way it is when you exit the room, but this is annoying.

RhUJp.png

Um, don’t go down here because it’ll make you go down to the first floor again. You don’t want to do that. Not yet, anyway.

amCdY.png

We also have grapple puzzles, in case you didn’t notice. They aren’t exclusive to the stumps, but they’re also wall grapple puzzles. This is what happens when you don’t go the right way.

M3dT0.png

You have to open these things up with your sword.

P45NM.png
4ccsn.png

Another one of these. I hate these. The second picture is where the player should realize that they don’t have to go up there at all. The time that it takes to animate the swing, and progress through the fungi can take a while, and if you’re speedrunning this (which I’m clearly not), you’ll want to take the route that has the least amount of mushrooms. I understand they were trying to go for an interesting experience here to take into account all of the weapons' abilities you have so far, but it becomes tedious and boring. I don't remember liking this dungeon much as a kid, and probably felt frustrated while doing it.

yZOwN.png

You want to go down here.

OgMx9.png

This is one of those wallgrapple “puzzles”. Basically, climb up, drop, and press the weapon button at the right time to latch onto the wall during your freefall.

1wbMQ.png

More of this maze garbage. We finally start encountering slimes and skeletons on this floor. You do not want to use magic on the slimes as they will repel it back and you'll take the damage (which I think is a nice little animation). Use a weapon. Bombs or your claw. Skuldiers are assholes -- they have confusion and now they have Doom Powder. Proceed with caution. Try to 1-shot them whenever you can with a spell (wind).

8dlDr.png

Well, this one is closed! It must be the right way!

FGNtk.png

No, it’s not the right way! What is up with this tree?! I haven’t encountered any fungi-type enemies here. Where did all of these mushrooms come from? This dungeon sucks. Its mazes suck. The grapple puzzles are boring. The fungus growth and regrowth sucks. The colour palette sucks. And the enemies are lame and not fun to deal with. This still didn’t deter me from cutting down the mushrooms in this room to get the treasure in here, though.

95Gvr.png

This is the right way, btw.

WiuiW.png

Because I like getting chests, we’ll get these.

9nzWA.png

Where is the stump that I need to use to go back?! (Keep fiddling around, you’ll get it eventually). This dungeon sucks. Sucks, sucks, sucks.
bCWsB.gif

ijHwR.png

This is the final floor, thank goodness. You can’t fall down those pits, so don’t worry about it.

lF8i2.png

Don’t go here. It’ll knock you down to the previous floor and then you’ll have to go back up.

Bcd3P.png

So, uh, if you’re familiar with this game, if you just approach the boss, it’ll draw you into an encounter right away. This guy’s just sitting here doing nothing. Let’s see if we can go through that door.

ovZ5D.png

Alright, alright. I’m going. Sheesh! The Great Deku Tree wasn’t this demanding. And, uh, I guess that means I can talk to trees now.

XfZgi.png
lcSCy.png
MSB2V.png

Even the effing boss is a shade of brown.

Gidrah (and I suppose it's a Godzilla reference) isn’t hard to beat. In fact, he’s one of the easiest bosses in this game because he’s weak against Wind so he doesn’t get that many attempts to screw you over. Don't use fire because he's resistant to it. He'll also use Tornado, Quake, Para Gas, and will counter with Poison-touch if you let him mess you up.

U3Kzg.png
rYKFp.png

After the battle, the tree thanks us for getting rid of all of his parasites. …wait, what? Carry me?

dZTBf.png

If I could make a gif of this, I would. Instead, you'll have to deal with something I hastily put together in GIMP. Do you see what the trees spell out? "Go on, kid!" or maybe "Goon Kid!!" Well, I guess we can speak to trees too! Also it's good to see a colour that isn't brown! :D

Nhg9t.png
-->
KQJ9h.png
-->
o1vPb.png

So he literally up and walks us closer to Windia. Well that’s generous. I guess we’ll be on the world map after this.

rijW3.png

Nope. I'm bored! Let's go. Screw falling down the tree with the vines, I’ll just use Exit.

vFCkh.png

By the way, if you go back to Alive Forest, the Great Tree isn’t in his usual spot anymore.

sfErd.png

And let's compare some stats. Because we all love stats. So, we're pretty near-par to Kaeli now. That didn't take much effort. We're simply severely lacking in our magic stat. You'll soon see that this is going to be the general case until the end of the game with regards to comparisons to party members. Our speed and strength can use a boost, but otherwise, we're fine.

GViPD.png

Our next stop is Kaidge Temple. We actually don’t have to go here, but we might as well see if we get some free stuff.

aVzXM.png

Or we meet Master Roshi, whatever works.

PQyrO.png
b0YWB.png

The prophecy? Don’t drop a bomb on me like that and leave!

This game...!
mByij.gif

Next time: We waste our time on Mt. Gale because Kaeli is an idiot.

I don't think just showing you part of the final dungeon still counts as foreshadowing.
Well, this is Mystic Quest... Now that I think about it, I don't think foreshadowing is even a thing in this game.

Jucksalbe

Banned
You do not want to use magic on the slimes as they will repel it back and you'll take the damage (which I think is a nice little animation). Use a weapon. Bombs or your claw.

There is repel in this game? So there's some hidden depth here after all.

This game...!
mByij.gif

Haha, this is so fitting for this game, I added it to its title in my summary.

Overall, I didn't mind the tree dungeon as much. It's not a good dungeon, but it still my favorite out of all the dungeons in the wind area. I really hate that whole chapter.

Aeana

I was all excited to start FF9 on my PSP, but once I got it downloaded and installed, I remembered that the PSP PSX emulator doesn't support analog, and if you remap the directions to the nub, then they're off of the dpad. Menu stuff with the nub = cry. Come onnn Vita PS1 stuff. :(

Gravijah

I was all excited to start FF9 on my PSP, but once I got it downloaded and installed, I remembered that the PSP PSX emulator doesn't support analog, and if you remap the directions to the nub, then they're off of the dpad. Menu stuff with the nub = cry. Come onnn Vita PS1 stuff. :(

i'm waiting on vita ps1 emu fun so i can jump into FF8. my FF7 playthrough ran out of steam after i got distracted by a few games...

i'm so horrible.

Jucksalbe

Banned
i'm waiting on vita ps1 emu fun so i can jump into FF8.

I hope they let you take screenshots when playing PSX games. My only problem is that most of my PSX games are on a different account than my Vita. Switching accounts is such a pain.

my FF7 playthrough ran out of steam after i got distracted by a few games...

i'm so horrible.

Haha, don't worry about it. I have unfinished playthroughs of FF4, FFX-2 and Chocobo's Dungeon in this thread.

Aeana

I'm playing FFIX in my PSP right now and I don't think the analog controls are so bad...
What analog controls? It doesn't have any. You have the choice of moving the dpad to the nub, but then you've got other buttons on the dpad. It's impossible to use the analog nub for movement and the dpad for menus. That's what's bad.

The scene where Zidane and Garnet meet, when you choose "examine her face" just makes me remember how much I hate Zidane. He's such a slimy creep.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Er, let's think of this as a prologue to the next entry! We're going to do the final two battlefields now (they only offer experience):

oXhDF.png

This is where I demonstrate why the Dragon Claw is one of the best weapons in the game:

qaKAd.png
WMdsp.png
AOE32.png
hZnrZ.png

Remember how I said last time that the Dragon Claw inflicts almost every bad status in the book in this game? You can definitely take advantage of this when fighting against cannon fodder. As long as you see the "___ is strong against [this status]" message, you can bet that you'll see a negative status effect inflicted on them--usually Petrify. Petrify can kill the enemy instantly. The claws also boost your magic.

However, there are several problems with the Dragon Claw which may make you use Wizard magic or another weapon (the final sword of the game, for example) over it:
  • Lord help you if you find an enemy strong against Petrify or strong against a series of other status effects because they won't die in one hit.
  • Some enemies, especially from the Windia area onwards, will counterattack your physical attacks.
  • Using the Claw comes with a seemingly higher chance of missing than other weapons, at least in my experience, anyway.
  • Hitting the enemy with a series of negative statuses is still chance-based, and sometimes you might just hit the enemy for mere damage rather than a status infliction.
  • It has less attack power than the best sword and the Giant's Axe.
For the most part, though, you can use it against most regular enemies if you're planning on taking them on with weapons.

There is repel in this game? So there's some hidden depth here after all.
There most certainly is. During the Windia section, the slime-type enemies (so the Oozes and the Beholder enemies) gain an ability which repels magic.

Here, Kaeli decided to use Aero on one of the Oozes. Look at what happens:

p6qhU.png
mEKkl.png
G7hgY.png

She dies. If I used it on a group, then the damage might be around 200-300. Since I targeted only one enemy, she ended up taking 800 damage. There isn't much depth, but it's to encourage you to figure out what to use and what not to use.

Haha, this is so fitting for this game, I added it to its title in my summary.

Overall, I didn't mind the tree dungeon as much. It's not a good dungeon, but it still my favorite out of all the dungeons in the wind area. I really hate that whole chapter.
LOL, I don't dislike FFMQ, but man, there's so much in this game to pick apart here--especially the bad dialogue! Mt. Gale is so plain, the Giant Tree is so boring, and when I was little I liked Pazuzu's Tower's mechanics of boxing in the enemy like that. I don't like the dungeon itself because it can be pretty tedious, but I think I like the mechanics behind the dungeon.

Aeana

Christwire is like the Onion for Christian outrage news.

Oh, my bad, I mean the d-pad. I don't feel the need to move the characters in this game with the nub.
Well, that's how I'm playing now. It hurts my hand to control characters in 3D with the dpad, but oh well.

upandaway

So I got the original FF for PSP a while back and decided to go for it now. I just did the second crystal. Warrior/Monk/White/Black (so disappointed with the monk)

I'm loving it, and I've been making maps of all the dungeons and stuff. But I heard the original FF was hard, right? Just how much did they change in this one? I don't even wander around all that much, and I already have 10x of the money I can spent in the most expensive town so far, and the only problem I had with dungeons so far is conserving supplies/MP.

Was I not meant to fully explore the dungeons?

ATF487

So I got the original FF for PSP a while back and decided to go for it now. I just did the second crystal. Warrior/Monk/White/Black (so disappointed with the monk)

I'm loving it, and I've been making maps of all the dungeons and stuff. But I heard the original FF was hard, right? Just how much did they change in this one? I don't even wander around all that much, and I already have 10x of the money I can spent in the most expensive town so far, and the only problem I had with dungeons so far is conserving supplies/MP.

Was I not meant to fully explore the dungeons?

It's a pretty easy game overall, I don't tend to grind and the game was a breeze right up until the final battle, which took me a few tries because I didn't make a white mage.

Also if you don't feel like drawing out the maps, here are some great ones

CorvoSol

So I'm finally mucking about in the cave north of Deist in FF2. At this point, i begin to worry, because I have at last encountered monsters capable of doing damage to Firion and company. It's a shame, because I rather enjoyed being invincible this last while. Still no need to buy new equipment, though. I'm actually not sure if I should be happy or not that both Maria and Leila are more dressed now than they were in the NES version. Whatever the case, I can't believe how little time I spent with Gordon. It only reinforces how little I like him. I mean, Edward catches flak for being a wuss, but GORDON never really grows out of it.

In MQ, I finally cleared the glitched battlefield of its 255 battles. Sadly, there was no glitch reward. I also passed the stupid fire dungeon or whatever where you get the Charm Claw. I'm amazed by the fact that, despite my best efforts, Benjamin is constantly doing less damage than his partners. What sort of JRPG hero isn't the most broken character in the roster?

In FFL2 I recruited Ki into the party. Which I guess matters. I dunno. Sound track is kickin', though.

Heropon

So I'm finally mucking about in the cave north of Deist in FF2. At this point, i begin to worry, because I have at last encountered monsters capable of doing damage to Firion and company.

Are those monsters the revenants? Their attacks ignore defense. It seems you have low evasion, maybe you'd want to equip shields and light clothes. That increases evasion and the agility stat will increase more often!

I remember my characters incresed their HP in like 1000 points thanks to all that damage in one of my first playthoughs.

upandaway

It's a pretty easy game overall, I don't tend to grind and the game was a breeze right up until the final battle, which took me a few tries because I didn't make a white mage.

Also if you don't feel like drawing out the maps, here are some great ones
I like making the maps. I only do it if I start getting lost, and stop when I get back on track, but it's fun.

CorvoSol

Are those monsters the revenants? Their attacks ignore defense. It seems you have low evasion, maybe you'd want to equip shields and light clothes. That increases evasion and the agility stat will increase more often!

I remember my characters incresed their HP in like 1000 points thanks to all that damage in one of my first playthoughs.

Yeah, it's the revenants. Topping my hatred of them off is the fact that Holy does squat jack. I remember why I never bothered with attack magic in this game: it's useless. Holy is taking an eternity to level up, and by the time I get Ultima, I'll be so powerful I won't need either. Ultima is such a let down in this game.

Vamphuntr

Might not be the best place to ask this but there are no recent thread specific to that game here right now.

In the original version of FF3, what does your skill level do? I know it's the equivalent of your Job level but I'm curious to understand what it does exactly. Do you get more hits and magick to cast as it increases? To increase it do you simply fight battles or do you have to use an ability related to your jobs? Right now some of my character have an higher skill level than their actual level.

Boogiepop

Well, I've got a bit into X now. Just passed the virtually unwinnable Blitzball match (I did not win, despite having the Jachtshot thingy). Oh well. I'm liking the battle system (switching freely is really really nice, and characters/enemies shifting freely and moving into battle is awesome and reminds me of CT), but I'm only just starting to feel the story/world a BIT. The voices are definitely hurting. Particularly painful is that Tidus is the same VA as the main character from that dumb, awful Johnny Test cartoon, and I somehow can't stop hearing the voices as near identical.

I'm assuming that the blitzball stuff is like the card games and just a big old sidequest you only have to deal with if you feel like it? Also, would I be correct in thinking that the Al Bhed stuff isn't too important and perhaps even something that's mainly there for a second playthrough? It seems that way thus far.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Might not be the best place to ask this but there are no recent thread specific to that game here right now.

In the original version of FF3, what does your skill level do? I know it's the equivalent of your Job level but I'm curious to understand what it does exactly. Do you get more hits and magick to cast as it increases? To increase it do you simply fight battles or do you have to use an ability related to your jobs? Right now some of my character have an higher skill level than their actual level.
Pretty much that. Skill levels are levels for your jobs, and as they increase, the character becomes more proficient at their job and it takes less CP to change back to a job. SP are recorded separately for each job for every character. So the Skill Level would affect stuff like steal% (thief), magic multiplier, defense multiplier, how many hits you get in, etc. depending on the job.

So... every time you enter a command in battle, the character will get a certain amount of points towards their job depending on their equipped job and the command entered. Running does nothing for you. You get 0 points if you run. For every 100 points you accumulate in battle, your skill level increases by 1 (afaik, you can't get more than 1 skill up in a fight, and obviously you have to finish the fight and not run to get the Skill Up). Scholars, for example, get a lot of skill points no matter what action they do. Geomancers get more skill points for Terrain than Defend or Item (but Fight gives a reasonable amount). Mages get more points for executing magic commands than fight. So in general, use the skill that's specific to the class in most cases to get faster Skill Ups.

Well, I've got a bit into X now. Just passed the virtually unwinnable Blitzball match (I did not win, despite having the Jachtshot thingy). Oh well. I'm liking the battle system (switching freely is really really nice, and characters/enemies shifting freely and moving into battle is awesome and reminds me of CT), but I'm only just starting to feel the story/world a BIT. The voices are definitely hurting. Particularly painful is that Tidus is the same VA as the main character from that dumb, awful Johnny Test cartoon, and I somehow can't stop hearing the voices as near identical.

I'm assuming that the blitzball stuff is like the card games and just a big old sidequest you only have to deal with if you feel like it? Also, would I be correct in thinking that the Al Bhed stuff isn't too important and perhaps even something that's mainly there for a second playthrough? It seems that way thus far.
It's winnable. You just have to be more familiar with the minigame in general. But it doesn't really matter that you didn't win. You just get a big trophy and some spheres if you do.

Blitzball is a sidequest, yep. It involves you signing players to your team and upgrading Wakka's ultimate weapon. You don't have to do it, though. And the Al Bhed stuff is more suited to a second playthrough since you have to gather the alphabet in the first playthrough to get the stuff they're saying in the second. Plus it helps in deciphering text and clues that can point you in the direction to some weapons, iirc (but I guess using a sidequest FAQ would negate the usefulness of the language in that respect). If that stuff doesn't matter much to you, don't worry about it. The language, as you noticed, does play a role in some story cutscenes.

CorvoSol

Weeeelp. That entire quest to Deist served Firion, his company, and the Wild Rose no good at all. So much for the dying king's request. I guess it's now time to get the equally useless Ultima Tome.

Vamphuntr

Pretty much that. Skill levels are levels for your jobs, and as they increase, the character becomes more proficient at their job and it takes less CP to change back to a job. SP are recorded separately for each job for every character. So the Skill Level would affect stuff like steal% (thief), magic multiplier, defense multiplier, how many hits you get in, etc. depending on the job.

So... every time you enter a command in battle, the character will get a certain amount of points towards their job depending on their equipped job and the command entered. Running does nothing for you. You get 0 points if you run. For every 100 points you accumulate in battle, your skill level increases by 1 (afaik, you can't get more than 1 skill up in a fight, and obviously you have to finish the fight and not run to get the Skill Up). Scholars, for example, get a lot of skill points no matter what action they do. Geomancers get more skill points for Terrain than Defend or Item (but Fight gives a reasonable amount). Mages get more points for executing magic commands than fight. So in general, use the skill that's specific to the class in most cases to get faster Skill Ups.

I see, thank you so much for your explanation. I'm still amazed Square coded something like that in 1991, it's quite deep. FF2 and 3 are quite groudbreaking for famicom games.

CorvoSol

In MQ: I've made my way into the Volcano and discovered the singular source of difficulty in the game: the party has no resistance to bad status effects. It drives me insane losing fights because the computer will trap itself into loops of "Paralyze/sleep/confuse/youloseaturn" and "attack". I had this same problem once in TAY.

Aeana

I decided that what I really wanted to do was give 4 Warriors of Light another go. It's a lot more fun with my expectations about how it plays in check (with the auto-targeting and such), and I'm having a much better time with it this go-around. It also helps that I made a new font for the English version so it doesn't irritate me. I really dislike SE's FF portable font.
Here's how it looks now:

3Lhon.jpg

Not perfect, but better. Sadly, I had to work within a 7x7 square for each character, but it came out all right.

I just love Mizuta's music, and I love how the game feels like a brand new NES FF.

chris-013

Wow FF12/FF12 Zodiac is very good once you understand the battle system ! It's too bad the melee jobs have shitty technics... Maybe they needed to switch the quickenings with technics.

CorvoSol

So I continue to be just steps behind Dark Schala in MQ. I'm now inside the Deku Tree or Tree Beard or Ex-Death or whatever. Benjamin's level 28, but he's finally doing some decent damage now that he's got the Giant's Axe. Also, I have the Dragon's Claw! It's my favorite weapon in the game. Something about it has always seemed so cool to me.

In FF2 I just recaptured Fynn (and Jake), so now I'm off to Mysidia to kill-er-find Minwu. Which means that as of now my armor will no longer grant me invincibility, and I officially need to start caring when I pick new gear up. I got Aura, but it doesn't grant instant limit breaks. Holy, now level 6, continues to suck. Oh well, I still have the whole Mask quests. Am I supposed to get the White one first? Nobody has told me how to get through the mirror into the Castle Basement for it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I’m tired. Last time, I got mad at the Giant Tree’s dungeon design because it’s soul-suckingly boring, and Master Roshi teased Megaman with a prophesy but left before giving us details because he’s a jerk. I also had a brief post where I talked about how great the Dragon Claw is.

Gv33e.png

Today, we’re going to journey to Windia. It shouldn’t be so bad since the Giant Tree carried us close to it anyway.

epbAg.gif
Windia

YGM7y.png

You can’t see it, but the shutters on the windows are opening and closing like mad, and the wind vanes are spinning very rapidly. I suppose that’s to be expected in a town called Windia, wouldn’t you say? Also, they have chocobos as weather vanes. How cute.

hsdBW.png

Oh no, someone’s missing. Quelle surprise!

DJ2hy.png

He makes it sound like it isn’t plastic. >.>

hBtLy.png
vNjCG.png

But you’re living in Windia. Shouldn’t you be used to the excessive wind by now? Isn’t that what the town is known for? Is logic even a thing in this ga--... wait, we've already established this.

AxiFC.png
2rfsz.png

See, now this makes a ton of sense. If they’re anything like dandelion seeds, they’ll be flying around often. And we will need the Mobius Crest eventually, so it’s best to keep this fellow’s advice in mind. It's just too bad that Phoebe decided to blow up the only entrance to Spencer's Place that is accessible.

Ok, enough talking to NPCs we won’t care about after this. Let’s talk to an NPC whom we won’t care about after getting something cool from her:

3z10Z.png
Xkn04.png
OeuN7.png

Of course! We definitely want this, and we’re definitely going to be happy with it. Why?

onhG6.png

Sure, it may only offer +6 defense, but look at which type of defense was added. We are now immune to the pesky Confusion status effect. This is a good thing too since Megaman will get the best spells in the game and we don't want him using them on the party.

There are other things in this town to buy like Explosives, but we don’t want that since we can get those for free. I also love how at the Inn, the person at the counter sells Cure Potions (which you shouldn’t even be buying, by the way), and the person in the speakeasy is the Innkeeper. Hrrrm.

Let’s move on to the story.

P7fO1.png

Huh? What does that even mean? And Otto is an absentminded professor who loses track of where his daughter goes? Oh. I’m disappointed.

Owv6p.png
MNFeL.jpg

Rainbow Road?

YPP1B.png
ImI2b.png

Well, Mount Gale is an oddly fitting name, wouldn’t you agree? (This dialogue is so dry that I can’t come up with jokes anymore.)

cMeBP.png

EEJn5.png
I forgot you were even here. Are you sure about this?

Uzgrg.png
Why wouldn’t I be sure about this? It’s called Mt. Gale. It’s so obvious it’s there!

EEJn5.png
What idiot would put a crystal up there, out in the open? It doesn't even make sense! Let's follow the 'lost little girl' lead. That would probably be the smarter thing to do.

Uzgrg.png
Look, do you want to have Mega Man Legends 3 come out or not?

I'm still not sure about this. :/

gH4AZ.png
9KrSY.png

Windhole Temple only gives you Heal Potions. As you can tell, I now have a maxed amount of Heal Potions and I'm not going to need anymore. If you haven't played the game before, this game's treasure system kind of works like new Zelda games where if you have the max amount of rupees, you'll leave newfound rupees in treasure chests. So if you're really intent on emptying every chest on the field, use up some items.

d74aG.png

epbAg.gif
Mountain Range of Whirlwinds

I think this is many people’s favourite BGM on the soundtrack, at least from a field/dungeon perspective. It’s one of my favourites too. Most people associate this BGM with Pazuzu’s Tower, but it mostly fits for Mount Gale, even if it’s a small dungeon. The synth brass is my favourite ‘instrument’ in all of this.

Anyway, this dungeon is very straight-forward, and the enemies aren’t hard because you have Meteor and the Dragon Claw to your disposal.

finalfantasy-mysticqujyjb0.png

This is the boss of the dungeon, but you have to loop around the mountain to take a shot at him.

a2w82.png

You get to here by taking the upper part of the broken bridge rather than the bottom. So what does the Apollo Helm offer us?

cfZn6.png

A mere stat increase. Recall that the Moon Helm from the Lava Dome gave us Fire protection. This increases DEF by 15, Evade by 15, and strength by 2. This helps us out overall—we could always use extra defense.

Now let’s have a chat with the boss.

finalfantasy-mysticquauk8n.png
4SCkh.png

Oh, wow, I guess we really did waste our time by coming here. We could’ve already fixed Rainbow Road, saved that kid, and had a head start on climbing that tower. Sheesh. I knew no one would leave a crystal like that in the open!

PKGWC.png
2OFYH.png
QXJOe.png

We are now fighting Dullahan. It comes with two Vampires which you pick off with physical attacks with the Claw or Kaeli. It, like many other bosses, has no weakness, and it’s strong against fire. When you get him alone, that’s the time to use the Wizard magic because he has a heck of a lot of HP and you don’t want that damage spreading over an area. His worst attack is Doom Dance, which will take a character out. Outside of that, he isn’t too hard, but you just need to keep pounding him with magic.

After he’s defeated, you...

ihfsI.png

...are simply able to move again. No crystal cutscene. No dialogue. No poking fun at Kaeli to tell her she was wrong. Nothing.

We completely wasted our time.

Next Time: We enter the code for the Special Cup in Super Mario Kart SNES and go on Rainbow Road ourselves.

Boogiepop

Well, X has decided it won't let me reach the end without a little bit of dickishness. Damn Seymour on the mountain was my first Game Over, and he got me twice more even after a good chunk of leveling up. That damn Total Annihilation (I learned last time that taking out the little guy is NOT the answer). Oh well. I read that apparently just using a summon to tank the hit for you will work, so I think I'll give that a shot, and seeing as I'm able to do plenty of damage it shouldn't be hard to put him down if that works. Still, this is definitely making the unskippable cutscenes painful.

Natetan

So I continue to be just steps behind Dark Schala in MQ. I'm now inside the Deku Tree or Tree Beard or Ex-Death or whatever. Benjamin's level 28, but he's finally doing some decent damage now that he's got the Giant's Axe. Also, I have the Dragon's Claw! It's my favorite weapon in the game. Something about it has always seemed so cool to me.

In FF2 I just recaptured Fynn (and Jake), so now I'm off to Mysidia to kill-er-find Minwu. Which means that as of now my armor will no longer grant me invincibility, and I officially need to start caring when I pick new gear up. I got Aura, but it doesn't grant instant limit breaks. Holy, now level 6, continues to suck. Oh well, I still have the whole Mask quests. Am I supposed to get the White one first? Nobody has told me how to get through the mirror into the Castle Basement for it.

I don't think the order matters. Just keep asking the key words to the queen after you revive Flynn. You'll get the pass word that you can use just on the upper right side if that room. The black mask is on an island . Go through the canal type area and continue going right you can't anymore.,if you did it right you should be able to sail straight south and run into it. I usually pick it up in the way to the collisseum to save time

More tips, give everyone shields, and put Maria in the front row with a power staff. The only spells you need in this game are fire, cure, life, and heal and also the white magic spell that warps enemies out of battle. Swap/change helps bulk you up fast especial against the weak enemies pre tornado around Flynn castle.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I just noticed: While we're celebrating the 25th anniversary of the FF series, this year also marks the 15th anniversary of the series in Europe (if you discount the Seiken Densetsu and Mystic Quest Legend spinoffs)! So, yay for Europe, we were last!

PowderedToast

i have directions mapped to both the nub and the d-pad for IX on my psp go. just tweak each button on custom controls.

Entropia

No One Remembers
FFIX Update: Just escaped Lindblum after Queen Brahne destroyed it by summoning Atomos. Zidane, Vivi, Dagger and Quina just crossed through Gargan Roo to the continent without Mist!

As an aside: I don't like the way that Quina has to obtain magic. He/She is basically a Blue Mage but He/She has to Eat enemies first rather than be on the receiving end of the spell which can be difficult if Zidane ends up one shotting the enemies lol

Boogiepop

X's final boss proved quite the dick. Smacked one of my party members out of existence and then proceeded to heal more than I can deal. And those damn spinny things just get more health if you kill them, and they respawn way too quick to make it really worth it. Still, just spent a good chunk of time grinding, so hopefully I'll be able to plow through now.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Well, X has decided it won't let me reach the end without a little bit of dickishness. Damn Seymour on the mountain was my first Game Over, and he got me twice more even after a good chunk of leveling up. That damn Total Annihilation (I learned last time that taking out the little guy is NOT the answer). Oh well. I read that apparently just using a summon to tank the hit for you will work, so I think I'll give that a shot, and seeing as I'm able to do plenty of damage it shouldn't be hard to put him down if that works. Still, this is definitely making the unskippable cutscenes painful.
Yeah, he's probably the hardest boss at the time you fight him.

X's final boss proved quite the dick. Smacked one of my party members out of existence and then proceeded to heal more than I can deal. And those damn spinny things just get more health if you kill them, and they respawn way too quick to make it really worth it. Still, just spent a good chunk of time grinding, so hopefully I'll be able to plow through now.
Got here in less than a day? o_O

Boogiepop

And now I've beaten X. The grinding proved effective in ripping Jecht to shreds (9999 constant hits! More than that with Doublecast/Overdrives!), but the second form proved to put up a fight and almost got me. Ultimate Jecht Shot is formidable. And then as I was recovering from that, the game decided to give him about 10 turns in a row for some freakish reason, and I would of had a game over if it wasn't for a VERY fortunate evasion. Then I discovered how broken Quick Attack (or w/e it actually was called) is and tore him to shreds.

But yeah, that has to be one of the weirdest/most poorly thought out unloseable finales. I mean, the summons are already pushing it, but then the game makes you spend forever waiting for the stupid looking tick god to self destruct. Not exactly ending on a high note, boss battle wise, heh.

Overall, this is probably one of the hardest FFs to pin down. I really like the battle system. The sphere grid is pretty cool (until I ran into more locks than I had keys and kind of dead ended a little at the end). On the other hand, the story/voice acting was painful and intrusive for the majority of the game (though the last 1/3 or so got kind of decent.) And Tidus's higher quality cutscene model always looked odd to me. Like he had buckteeth and/or a bad tan or something. Just weird. This also seems to be the only post N64/PS1 gen game I've seen that didn't figure out how dumb it is to make players sit on a "the end" screen until they shut the console off. Bleh.

More troubling, the game definitely seems to like to funnel you, with most of the game being pretty much linear hallways (a complaint that I'm sure I'll have again with XIII, if its reputation is to be believed). Especially with the little "go here" arrow, it really feels like the game doesn't care much for letting you explore at all. On the other hand, I didn't really try wandering too far off the beaten path in the handful of sprawling areas (desert, field), so there's probably at least a bit to check out. And I'd imagine the numerous sidequests I didn't bother with would also help.

All in all, though, as I'm playing much more for the gameplay anyway, I'd still rank this one pretty high. Right now I'm thinking maybe just below V, VI, and IX.

Now, only one more to go! On to XIII! I'm hopeful that I may make it through them all before my copy of Theatrhythm arrives after all. One last time (sorry for always asking this. VIII kinda worried me a little when I more or less got stuck and had to throw away a bit of progress), but is there anything big to watch out for/make sure to do in XIII so I don't get stuck?

laika09

One last time (sorry for always asking this. VIII kinda worried me a little when I more or less got stuck and had to throw away a bit of progress), but is there anything big to watch out for/make sure to do in XIII so I don't get stuck?

Make sure your left stick and X button work and you'll do great.

CorvoSol

So in FF2 I finally have Ultima and Flare. Should I bother building those and Holy up before getting the airship and going into the Tornado? I feel like the game's caught up with me and I am taking damage, and I could stand to have more MP, since I ran out of it by the end of the Tower of Mysidia.

In FFMQ I just finished Pazuzu's Tower and got Reuben back. Reuben has always been my favorite character in this game. He's just so 90s. That said, I love Dullahan's "Nah, it's Pazuzu." line. I was like, "Well gee, do I feel dumb now."

In FFCCEOT (UGH) I finally made it through the Library of the Damned. I've reoutfitted my ethnically diverse team, and am ready to hunt down that German bastard in the desert. Out of curiosity, do I NEED an ethnically diverse team for this game, or, since the AI is useless, can I swap out the Yuke for a more attractive Selkie girl?

In FFL2 I blew up Asura's base and got some more Magiciteria before ditching Ki to head to world 2. My monster is a crummy lizard or something, but I should've stuck with an Octopi, because Tentacle actually did damage. Zero, my robot, is one hardcore gangster who kills everything with his Z-Colt. Jean Grey has a bunch of nice fire powers, but it would seems that even in this game she's a glass cannon. And the Hero has some swords. The encounter rate in this game is obscene, but the battles aren't as mind-numbingly long as they are in FF7 NES, so it's okay.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Now, only one more to go! On to XIII! I'm hopeful that I may make it through them all before my copy of Theatrhythm arrives after all. One last time (sorry for always asking this. VIII kinda worried me a little when I more or less got stuck and had to throw away a bit of progress), but is there anything big to watch out for/make sure to do in XIII so I don't get stuck?
Never ever use the same strategy over and over because battles will then feel stagnated for you. Always play around with your roles and assign good optima. And don't use auto-battle because it's terrible for reasons I've divulged in other threads (I'm watching the match at the moment, but if I weren't, I'd link to a post where I complain about it; edit: Here: Post 1; Post 2.), but basically:

Com - physical attacker with one nonelemental spell used for enemies strong against physicals or flying enemies. Use it to stop the stagger gauge from decreasing quickly. Fang is the best Com in this game, with Lightning and Snow coming in second and third.

Rav - they're your offensive mages. They can chain attacks quickly to boost the stagger bar really quickly, but if you're only using Ravs and are dealing with a large stagger bar, you might come into a part when the stagger bar decreases very fast. You must create synergy with Coms to decrease the stagger bar going down rapidly. Sometimes you'll use all party members as Ravs to stagger quickly and get rid of monsters fast. Hope and Vanille are your best Ravs, and that's one of Lightning's main roles. I personally really like Fang as a Rav.

Med - self-explanatory. I think everyone's reasonably good at this. Vanille and Hope are the best, and I like Fang as one because she gets some important skills. One of Lightning's main three roles is Med, though, so...

Syn - these guys are your buffers. They are your best friends. Before Hope gets Haste, Sazh will be your best syn because he'll be the only guy with Haste. Always buff when you're in a boss fight when you have access to a Syn. After that, Hope, and Fang if you play that far to unlock her secondary role, is your best Syn.

Sab - these guys are your debuffers. They are your second best friends. The trick to FFXIII is to debuff enemies all the time so that you'll have an easier go of things. Stuff like Imperil, Deshell, and Deprotect, are quick and dirty ways of making your enemies weaker. Poison can work as well. Fang and Vanille (especially Vanille) are your best Sabs.

Sen - this is your bestest friend. Sen are your tanks and they're used for defense. They have a passive skill that reduces damage from AoE attacks for the party. Level their role levels up and this will get stronger. They can provoke enemies into hitting them and only them. Some of them also have a skill called 'Mediguard', which they use after provoking the enemy so that they can guard while healing themselves. Some Sens like Lightning and Hope are just evade-type Sens, where they just dodge attacks as opposed to tanking and taking the attack. But with this in mind, Snow and Fang are your best Sens in the game.

I don't like FFXIII too much, but it's still playable. It isn't as bad as people make it out to be, but yes, it does get boring after a while. The first few chapters make battle a little boring because you're only limited to two people. When you finally get 3 characters in your party, you finally are able to experiment with different tactics.

Always remember that Sen, Sab, and Syn are the best classes in this game.

Try to level up the crystarium up to the level cap before you fight the chapter's boss. It'll make things easier. When you get to Chapter 9 or 10 or something, you'll have the chance to level up your characters' secondary roles. If you're just playing through without the platinum, just level up your primary three roles. You'll be fine with those. If you're using Fang, I'd recommend starting her on her Syn and Rav because she's really good at those classes. As you level everyone up, they gain different passive skills from their roles which really help out and increase the synergy with the party members.

Pay attention to how long animations take, and also pay attention to the enemy's attack animations. If you want to switch to a paradigm that includes a Sen, switch to it as the enemy's animating to attack so you can take a bit of the damage, and then switch back to the paradigm you were using. Never stay on one paradigm. With that in mind, you have six paradigms to use in battle, and it's probably best if you make identical ones because you want to take advantage of something called: "ATB Cancel". MasterLL has demonstrated this properly in this video (it's better if you watch it since you mightn't get it with what I have to say). Use this to your advantage, ALWAYS.

Also, don't hesitate to ask for help!

Boogiepop

Thus far, I've been pretty surprised by how much I've been enjoying it. The way people talk about it I was expecting a giant mess little to redeeming qualities. I was also a little worried because from what little I had seen it looked like an extension of XII, which was pretty much the only FF I didn't really enjoy playing. Instead, the game actually feels more like an extension of X, with a lot of the biggest issues being ones that were already present there. Heck, the "everything is hallways!" problem feels like a LOT less of an issue here, as enemies being on the map makes it feel less awkward trying to make your way down those hallways. Additionally, I'm enjoying the surprising number of neat little throwbacks to IX, which I definitely wasn't expecting. And the battle system is pretty nice, but it'd be nicer if they'd stop knocking me down to just two characters. I think what I might be appreciating most of all is the visual cohesiveness and the amount of effort put into art direction. I mean, of course it's technically pretty. But being that all I had seen of the game was the beginning city area and stuff like "the summons turn into vehicles WTF" I'm really impressed by some of the locales and designs I'm seeing. Just not the Killzone soldiers (but even those are starting to look a lot better as the color schemes are changing to less bleh.)

The biggest issue I've had is that the chapters are so long! I keep expecting them to end, and get caught in a cycle of "maybe it's over, I should give it at least one more save point". I think I've put two hours into Chapter Five, beat down a flower/turtle boss, and the game even significantly changed the appearance of the area, and it's still not over!

Ultratech

So in FF2 I finally have Ultima and Flare. Should I bother building those and Holy up before getting the airship and going into the Tornado? I feel like the game's caught up with me and I am taking damage, and I could stand to have more MP, since I ran out of it by the end of the Tower of Mysidia.

You don't have to. They're non-elemental and you can do ok without 'em. They do have pretty good high base power though. Ultima is ok, but is really dependent on a lot of stuff on how it determines it damage (still pretty good regardless). Also funny that's it's technically White Magic. I still chuckle at how bugged it was in the Famicom version.

Elemental spells are really the only attack spells that are important. (Since there's very few enemies that resist both elemental and physical attacks.)

Personally, I did a lot of Magic leveling in the desert.

I decided that what I really wanted to do was give 4 Warriors of Light another go. It's a lot more fun with my expectations about how it plays in check (with the auto-targeting and such), and I'm having a much better time with it this go-around. It also helps that I made a new font for the English version so it doesn't irritate me. I really dislike SE's FF portable font.
Here's how it looks now:

3Lhon.jpg

Not perfect, but better. Sadly, I had to work within a 7x7 square for each character, but it came out all right.

I just love Mizuta's music, and I love how the game feels like a brand new NES FF.

Looks nice! Can't say I'm a big fan of SE's portable font either.

I really enjoyed the game the first time I played through it. Also kinda funny how you can cheese a majority of the bosses with an Elementalist and the correct shields.
The targeting was an issue for me at first, but I figured out how to deal with it over time, and it became a non-issue.

I think my party for most of the game was Hero, Black Mage, Elementalist, and Salve-Maker.
Elementalist was used mostly for bosses; they're not quite as useful in random fights, so I usually subbed in another physical class like Dark Fencer.

Natetan

You really don't need the high level magic in this game. just power up fire, cure, life, swap, and maybe heal.

Ultima and flare are pretty worthless.

Top Bottom