• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #100 - "The Things Unfinished"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Votes!

1. Mike Works - The Finish
2. DumbNameD - Before This
3. Azih - Two Tasks

HM: GSR, Tangent

This was really hard, but Mike's story was head and shoulders the best. If/when Mike wins, I'll be happy he beat me!

Ashes

Banned
I know what I said a few posts ago, but I'll give out one crit for sure:
@crow: a short story is supposed to be short and yet sometimes say such a lot more, and though you failed last time, with your single sentence effort, per sentence wise, I think this said a lot. A lot. Well done crow, well done.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Myself? I privately rate every story as I go along (out/10 or sometimes A-G); so I know at the end, which I thought were best. This helps me personally to look at it from a step removed, or from a distance, I guess.

Criticisms. In short I'm done with providing them until I can get better at it. I've read a few things about criticism during the weekend; how it's good sometimes, and quite awful other times. Sometimes I can be very harsh, and whilst some don't mind, it's hard to gage whether it is doing something positive or something negative - I don't for example want to 'thwart a persons' writing ambitions/confidence'. I know this sounds convenient, but I'm just stating it as it is.

I think you should still give thoughts and crits even if you don't feel good at it. At it's most basic, you say if you liked or did not like a story, and then give a couple of examples as to what you did or did not like. Simple! I too feel that I'm being harsh (especially when I'm writing 20 of the buggers), but then again is it not better to be honest? Surely if someone has written a bad story they must understand on some level the shortcomings of it already, right? So it shouldn't be like you're giving bad news, more to the point that you've recognised some weaknesses, and maybe suggestions on how to avoid.

I find them really useful and, from a purely selfish POV, it's nice to hear more detailed and impersonal feedback on something when my friends usually just say it's good and pat me on the back. Yeah, I know it's good motherfucker, I wrote it. But what about it sucked, or could be improved?? I found Mike's crit useful this week for instance, where I realised that even though I'd written something that felt true to me, it was still a little weak in that there was no new angle (although I'd argue that gay + ww1 is a unique angle, that's all I was fixated on, when I could have found a better way to portray a relationship).

The more voices there are commenting on something you've done, the more angles you can look at the work from, and try to understand your own weaknesses. But if more people drop out of criticising then we all lose out, it makes the whole thing mean less. It's not so much about 'who won' but more about how we support each other IMO.

Ashes

Banned
Offering criticism is a bit like teaching, but offering pointers/advice instead. I don't want to be the type of teacher that slaps a child, as in a couple of decades ago, nor one that is half-hearted (as I almost certainly will be) and always encourages, I want to be honest. There's plenty of research out there that will tell you why both approaches don't work, and have an adverse affect. Even if a player tells the coach they want harsh training etc.
And I don't think we want boo, yay, type criticism. We all want good criticism. And for that to happen, I need to take a timeout.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Offering criticism is a bit like teaching, but offering pointers/advice instead. I don't want to be the type of teacher that slaps a child, as in a couple of decades ago, nor one that is half-hearted (as I almost certainly will be) and always encourages, I want to be honest. There's plenty of research out there that will tell you why both approaches don't work, and have an adverse affect. Even if a player tells the coach they want harsh training etc.
And I don't think we want boo, yay, type criticism. We all want good criticism. And for that to happen, I need to take a timeout.

Sometimes a kid just needs a slap.

But really, none of us are professional critcs, or indeed, writers. So all we can do is give our opinions. I worry that there are not enough people offering crits as it is, so to see one more person bowing out of it is disappointing to me. Will this go the way of the music threads, where eventually it's just people posting context-free lists?

and btw if someone does not agree with my criticism then by all means argue your point.

A guy can't write a simple story about some people blowin' up Comic-Con?

That's what was happening?? Maybe you could use another sentence to say that. Because otherwise it felt like some self-hating alcoholic geeks going to comicon.

The objective of critiques is to improve the manuscript, and long-term craft. Not to cast judgement on the ceiling of a writer's ambitions. The writer should know it's not them but merely a singular piece of their work being picked through, and be wise enough to weigh opinions as they are, subjective impressions.

As for critiquing itself: On one side, concerns are going to outweigh praise, if improvement is the goal. On the other, tact is necessary; lecturing or imperatives probably aren't the best idea. These two things can go hand in hand. So, I don't think you need to pull any punches, Ashes, or keep your views hidden. Just focus on how you say what you feel, but keep it honest.

Ashes

Banned
The objective of critiques is to improve the manuscript, and long-term craft. Not to cast judgement on the ceiling of a writer's ambitions. The writer should know it's not them but merely a singular piece of their work being picked through, and be wise enough to weigh opinions as they are, subjective impressions.

As for critiquing itself: On one side, concerns are going to outweigh praise, if improvement is the goal. On the other, tact is necessary; lecturing or imperatives probably aren't the best idea. These two things can go hand in hand. So, I don't think you need to pull any punches, Ashes, or keep your views hidden. Just focus on how you say what you feel, but keep it honest.

Yeah, this is pretty much it.

And I wouldn't worry about crits, you'll have enough this week, and I break my rules whenever I see fit.

@j.s. I don't censor myself normally, but the others know that, and you may not. I like to reflect gaf in stories I write for gaf. Think of it as an Easter egg. Football gaf will get the c**t discussions ( people got banned) last week. Even though, I agree with the mods in that situation, I think.

It isn't just that though, but that's another thing all together.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah, this is pretty much it.

And I wouldn't worry about crits, you'll have enough this week, and I break my rules whenever I see fit.

@j.s. I don't censor myself normally, but the others know that, and you may not. I like to reflect gaf in stories I write for gaf. Think of it as an Easter egg. Football gaf will get the c**t discussions ( people got banned) last week. Even though, I agree with the mods in that situation, I think.

It isn't just that though, but that's another thing all together.

Come to the UKGAF thread for continued discussions (read: rage) about the language issues...

But no worries about the crits, it is what it is. Depending on how I feel next week I may abstain from them myself, I spent about 4 hours writing them this week.

Aaron

Way too many stories for me to comment on all of them. Not that I had anything useful to say about most of them.

1 -- Tangent -- It's a sweet story, but I wish you had stuck entirely with the mother's POV. The start ends up confused because of that, and I don't feel like you really gain much from it.
2 -- Lone Prodigy -- The letter works. It's got emotion and personality, setting the scene without being too obvious about it. I think the story big after just takes away from it.
3 -- Mike Works -- You have a great story here, but the POV you chose to write this in is like a wall between me and the story. It's like listening to music through concrete.

Jedeye Sniv -- You have a gritty tale here, full of love and longing, and undermined by the overall rough grammar. Sometimes you have commas where it should be periods, and no commas where you need them.

bakemono -- It's a strange, sad story, but being a story being told in a story it feels a little removed from the actual events, losing some of the impact.

DumbNameD -- It's a delight, but it doesn't go anywhere. I wanted it to solidify.

Cyan -- You've used this format before, but it still works. If I have one slight it's you don't get a good grasp of the characters, but the whole thing has a movement that carries it along. Middle is a bit long, but brings things back in the end.

Ashes1396 -- Your writing is generally very good, but if you have one problem it's your characters can run off at the mouth to a degree that it becomes completely unbound from the story, grinding it all to a halt.

Azih -- The middle is really strong, but it's telling and not showing up front, and peters out at the end. I wish it had started strong and ended strong instead.

Because otherwise it felt like some self-hating alcoholic geeks going to comicon.

Going to assassinate Damon Lindelof. Brad wasn't an alcoholic; Blow's words brought him to throw up.

And I don't see how everything I write is pessimistic and doom and gloom. On the fly, sure.

I don't know if I'm voting yet. A lot of shit to do before Comic-Con just plopped into my lap.

Ashes

Banned
Cyan and his emails. :p

I'm not sure it will work as great on others as it did on me though, but I think you knew that, and still went with it. Obviously not me personally, but field specific Lexis does put up all kinds of walls. Props for that, even if you deny it! :p

For a second, I thought, you'd write about Hobbes. And I laughed to my self (yeah I'm weird -I just found it funny that Hobbes would write about Hobbes). And ot, this was because I didn't think you were interested in ethics (Philosophy wise), and were rather more into religion and belief, the criticism and exploration of it anyway.

I'm not so well versed in Chicken theory, or that in light of game theory (evolutionary game theory I suppose), but game theory it self and cold wars, I know enough about I think - I have heard of the phrase 'chicken games' being used in the financial sector, but didn't realise it was game theory. So on chicken, I can give an outside look in as well, and I think you did a well enough job of convincing both outsiders, and those who might know - well roughly know- what game theory is.

Am I mistaken that on the threat that both negative consequences are of such great value, i.e. nuclear threat, that neither can truly risk the other's actions; thus there results a stand-off between the two opposing factions. Surely the professor would have to be close to being threatened to being fired, to even think about posturing with the said student. Further, the student has to then convince the principle, which lessens his case for passing. Thus the student's grasp is an imitation, rather than actual grasp of what's on hand? So he should be failed?

Anyway, I think it likely, I'm wrong, as I'm taking what I know of Game theory and applying it here. They tried to play the numbers game with politics, and sometimes it works, and other times, human beings find a way of outplaying the rules of the game, see NHS targets (for uk folks), and we are tragically worse off. Myself? I think Math games only work in cold wars, such ideas (where human beings are reduced to nothing but cogs in a machine) shouldn't see light outside of that.

I'm happy to be a fool though.

Cyan

Banned
Mike Works - "The Finish" - Great imagery, great character choices, great structure. I even enjoyed the 2nd person imperative (I have to try that some time--I've done 2nd before, but never the imperative). The theme is very much in keeping with the sort of thing you used to write for the challenges, but the actual writing is head and shoulders above. My one complaint is the difficulty of concretely establishing the character in the beginning. I got totally turned around by "mother of your child" and had to go back and reread the first bits before I decided it was just an expression. Avoid confusing the reader whenever possible!

Lone Prodigy - "Thanks Dad" - Interesting to read this right after Mike's. It does something similar with the second person, but frames it in such a way that it's more immediately readable, since it's justified. My main complaint in this piece is the final segment. It doesn't fit with the preceding, and the transition jars. I'm not sure it adds enough to the narrative to be worth that; the reader can infer the son reading the message on their own.

Valerie Cherish - "LEGO Fire Brigade; 2,231 Pieces" - Brevity!

Azih - "Two Tasks" - Hi Azih! I like the world you've set up, the dusty Cambridge, the quiet militarism. And I like the MC and his view of the world. The whole is sort of a nice cozy apocalypse. Where the story completely loses me is the iPad. It's funny, but it just doesn't fit with the rest of the world. And my first thought was "what's the point? there's no internet!" That was a lot of story time spent on something kind of random and unconnected. I got a chuckle out of the Apple cult.

Sober - "Birthday Pilgrimage" - Ah, never letting go. You know, I thought about doing a ghost story, but I'm glad I didn't. You pulled it off really nicely. I like the structure, though it confused me at first. If I were to change something, I'd say to ditch Duncan. He's not really necessary, and takes up space that could've been used to more fully introduce Frank. I also would've like a little more time spent on the relationship between Frank and Rob.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Going to assassinate Damon Lindelof. Brad wasn't an alcoholic; Blow's words brought him to throw up.

And I don't see how everything I write is pessimistic and doom and gloom. On the fly, sure.

I don't know if I'm voting yet. A lot of shit to do before Comic-Con just plopped into my lap.

I think pessimistic is the wrong word, it's more that mix of the lurid pop culture references and the nihilistic tone, like chuck paluhniuk or something. Not necessarily bad, it's just a tone I get from your work, and I find that style a little - I don't know, one dimensional?

Jedeye Sniv -- You have a gritty tale here, full of love and longing, and undermined by the overall rough grammar. Sometimes you have commas where it should be periods, and no commas where you need them.

Thanks for reading. Would it be possible to point out a couple of sections that stick out as bad? I'm very aware that I have issues with the dreaded comma and it's something that I try to keep an eye on in the edit phase. I'd be really grateful for sone specific examples though so I can be more careful in future. Thanks!

Ashes

Banned
Irish you poetic mofo, that was a great piece, but the last line took the car over the face of a cliff. And I look to the title and can't figure my self out of this corner.

I have no idea what the poem is about now. "The feet" and "four instead of five.." what? toes? senses? I don't get this. Cold feet?

Anyway, in each verse, you were close to writing the poem as a first line Iambic tetrameters, which, granted is uncommon, so I guess you felt for the rhythm. You can remove 'its' on line 5 and keep it a repetition of 8 syllables on alternate lines.

Four, Instead of Five

I couldn't figure out the title.

My eyes, they linger on nothing
Arms lack something to hold

I also liked the break in the first line and end line, ending in some kind of symmetry felt instinctive and right. Linger is a good word, fits and sets the mood. And ending with 'nothing' and 'hold' sum up the first stanza really effectively. Kafka used to do this a lot. Ending with the most significant word like that. I think it just came naturally to him.

My mind was never this restless
yet my slumber has increased tenfold

So the person in question is staying up at night a lot, but sleeping most of the day? or is this something else? at a guess, I think this is a recent separation. And the person just feels contradictory moods.

The wind blows through on its iron hooves,
but the story remains untold

Iron hooves in cockney is somebody who is gay. But I know for sure, you're about as cockney as a dick van dyke. Apart from that, it feels like this is just creating some kind of distance. Either this person is trying to discuss something else, apart from themselves, or doesn't know what to think. That's my take on it. Further to what I said earlier, the subtle but natural rhythm, is in play here, 'wind blows'/story remains untold'= good work.

My heart was frozen in summer,
when your feet... they grew too cold

Honestly, this feels weird. Like the person is dead but lying on the floor. I guess, you could have talked about empty sandles, cold sandles left idle. The coldness, the loneliness of the poem is still there, but this with the title makes little sense with me.

Overall, I like this poem. Its dark, lonely, foreboding. But I don't really get it. It feels nice to say it, and feels like it was written down in a single stream of thought. I have learnt to write like that, you know, how you keep saying, to wait till the last few hours and just write. But it still takes me a while, and I much prefer to think about what I'm writing beforehand. Poetry takes longer to write for me, and I think, the last two things I wrote, is a good example of this, (I don't normally have examples so it is hard to explain to people, so I'll use this whilst I can):

The story I wrote this week, took about 3 days I guess, from first thinking about the idea to editing the final word, whilst this poem took almost 3 weeks. Bootaaay gave a very challenging secondary objective to be fair. Trimeric.
Hah! I've talked about Trimerics twice in the same week! woot¬!

Irish

Oh, silly Ashes, leave it to you to overthink something produced by a simpleton such as myself. The title simply comes from the fact that I could only come up with 8 lines when I wanted to at least get 10. Four pairs/stanzas, instead of five. I know titles are something that you put a lot of time and thought into, but, for me, they have always been something that I just slap on after I've written the story or whatever it may be.

In typical Broken fashion, one line came to me all of a sudden and I tried to fill in the rest, which obviously never works out as well. I was surprised that even one line came to me after my mind has been so blank for so long. (It was the first line, btw).

It's good that you've been working on just sitting down and letting it come out, but that line about editing the final word worries me a bit. What the hell is this editing thing, anyway? ;)

Ashes

Banned
Oh, silly Ashes, leave it to you to overthink something produced by a simpleton such as myself. The title simply comes from the fact that I could only come up with 8 lines when I wanted to at least get 10. Four pairs/stanzas, instead of five. I know titles are something that you put a lot of time and thought into, but, for me, they have always been something that I just slap on after I've written the story or whatever it may be.

In typical Broken fashion, one line came to me all of a sudden and I tried to fill in the rest, which obviously never works out as well. I was surprised that even one line came to me after my mind has been so blank for so long. (It was the first line, btw).

It's good that you've been working on just sitting down and letting it come out, but that line about editing the final word worries me a bit. What the hell is this editing thing, anyway? ;)

I knew it! I bet it took you fifteen minutes as well!

On a serious note. I did actually like it.

Irish

and then you said to yourself, 'No, that can't be it. Way too simple/stupid."

Well, now you know better.

Nah, I was in the shower, so ten minutes. :p

Ashes

Banned
and then you said to yourself, 'Know, that can't be it. Way too simple/stupid."

Well, now you know better.

I wouldn't say that. I can be harsh, but that's not the same thing as saying something deliberately unkind and being an ass.

I get that we're different; I have a deliberate method, you go about writing with gut, but I think either way is completely fine. People write stuff, and honestly, I'm not sure where creativity comes from. Just do what you do. :p

Whichever part of the brain, the 'magic' so to speak is coming from, let it be. Some people are interested in that kind of stuff. Honest people have their own sort of way of telling the truth. Whatever veil you may put on it.

/read the text analysis again, and you'll see that I was trying to be fair.

Irish

Heh, I'm just joking around. I don't think I've ever had any qualms with crits (still can't believe any body has ever pm'd you about them). I know everyone takes a different approach to writing things and that is what makes these challenges so great. It's all so varied and interesting.

Ashes

Banned
Heh, I'm just joking around. I don't think I've ever had any qualms with crits (still can't believe any body has ever pm'd you about them). I know everyone takes a different approach to writing things and that is what makes these challenges so great. It's all so varied and interesting.

I think on reflection, What Tim said above, is best. I looked at it differently. This is what I wrote initially, for the memoir piece idea, (the plan was to have it near the end)I had last Monday:

Criticism hurts like rejection does. Why it does? I don't know. I've always thought I'd rather be killed with a single bullet than five or six shots so I have to bleed to death, but maybe that's just me. I've noticed, sometimes, that I'm harsher on people I consider to be the best writers - I reckon I set the bar higher. I fucked up royally a fair few times, and once to such a point, that I still haven't forgiven my self. I criticised his work, called it a cliché, then it turns out, he was writing about himself. Worse, he was one of my favourite writers. Even worse, I read it later, and it was great. So writing from a distance, or criticising from a distance, has its drawbacks. Big drawbacks. And so I changed tack, and tried to adapt, tried to change. I've written loads of stories now, without planning, and just writing to deadline. I get it now. It's a good challenge. And sometimes stories come from places that even I didn't know about.

It leads on from writing from a distance, but the gist of criticism is there...

Edit: o.0 Valerie Cherish went for the all or nothing sentence. It isn't easy, but I'm glad somebody here tried it. Honorary mention at least for sure.

Ashes, I can send you the template that I use for workshopping if you'd like? It's a great list of questions and pointers that help you deconstruct a piece while also looking at the whole.

I've been using it for the past year and I've received perfect marks for the workshopping portion of every workshop class I've taken.

Ashes

Banned
Ashes, I can send you the template that I use for workshopping if you'd like? It's a great list of questions and pointers that help you deconstruct a piece while also looking at the whole.

Send em my way! I'm completely at my leisure. No work (off week started today!), no games (till I start journey later on this week), no books to read (taking a half-way break for couple of days), I have pizza ordered, a film on, and internesting with gaf.

And I think, not quite as discretely as I had hoped, bumping this thread enough times already.

Cyan

Banned

I've been using it for the past year and I've received perfect marks for the workshopping portion of every workshop class I've taken.

I'm interested.

Ninja edit: I was about to hit the post button with this saying "I'm interesting." Which may or may not be true, but is kind of irrelevant. :O

Ashes

Banned
I'm interested.

Ninja edit: I was about to hit the post button with this saying "I'm interesting." Which may or may not be true, but is kind of irrelevant. :O

/ninja edit !

wait, scratch that, reverse it.

edit: ;) @Ronito's story! I er quite an interesting turn of events there.

Jables

I'm interested.

I'll jump on the "I'm interested" train here as well if this is something you're willing to share with additional folks. If not, not worries.

Okay, last handful of critiques:

Irish - "Four, Instead of Five": I know so little about poetry, so I can’t really critique this. Maybe it’s your username, but I totally envisioned an Irish dude singing this. That’s pretty much all I have to offer. Worst critique ever.

bakemono - "Goodbye Sisters": A strong premise (that vaguely reminds me of that Japanese movie where a bunch of people jump in front of a subway), but there are a handful of technical issues that break the immersion. The narrator sounds too robotic at times, especially at the beginning. Consider working in some contractions. Also, there are too many instances of the narrator narrating what she’s doing in an unnatural way: “I admit; I trace the smiling photograph; I feel the memories,” etc… Then there’s the logic side of things; what has the narrator done to make Claire admit all this now? It doesn’t feel earned. Surely if all it took was a glance at a notebook, then the police would’ve extracted this info from her. There’s internal conflict within the narrator, but nothing that appears after the story starts, if that makes sense – until she’s faced with the realization that her daughter may be at fault, at which point she just cries, which isn’t much of a reaction. The piece has promise, but it’s going to take some effort to make it mature.

Valerie Cherish - "LEGO Fire Brigade; 2,231 Pieces": Gotta love one sentence stories! I often have trouble discerning how much effort people put into these, and admittedly I assumed that this wasn’t a “serious” submission. Nevertheless, here’s a critique-y question: why couldn’t she remember that the lego was Travis’?

HP_Wuvcraft - "The Art of Geeks, Part I: Ode to a Toilet": I liked giving the toilet a perspective, but aside from knowing who Damon Lindelof is, I had next to no connection with anything else in the lines. Enjoy Comic-Con if you’re going though!

crowphoenix - "Things I Still Need to Do": Interesting structure, though not fully realized. The first issue I had was this: when people cross something off a list, it usually means they’ve accomplished that task. This made reading the first page quite confusing, since the ‘order’ of things didn’t make sense. Additionally, I can accept that the list of items can devolve into a more manic flow of consciousness due to the topic that the narrator’s dealing with, but it seemed all but abandoned halfway through the story – like it was no longer possible that someone would be writing these words down. It’s a fine line to skirt, but one that I think requires strict attention. In terms of characters, I’m not quite sure how the narrator forgot about Linda, to the point where it seemed he did so conveniently for the story’s sake. Overall, it’s a unique approach that I think can be successful if you go back to it.

If any of you have any questions about something I’ve written about your story, feel free to ask.

I’ll get my votes in later in the day.

re: The workshop template, I've emailed the professor that the majority of its content is derived from asking permission to share it, so I probably shouldn't post it online until I get the okay from them.

I'm sure I'll hear back from them before the voting period of the next challenge, and I expect the response to be favorable. If it isn't, then I'll just modify it enough to make it my own and post it for you guys.

Cyan

Banned
GSR - "Jeanie" - Wow, that took a real turn at the end there. I like the presentation--here's a man visiting the grave of his young daughter, and... wait, what? I think the once-per-paragraph repetition of what happened to her was maybe a bit much. It makes sense that it'd be so much on his mind, but I'm not sure it helps the story. I like the implied undercurrents of what he might have done to the drunk driver.

Grakl - "An Abusive Occupation" - The color of a dead channel, hmm? ;) It was kind of funny to hear such a detailed description of applying lipstick. I suppose she's thinking hard about it. The ending was kind of a shocker. I'd like the scene to have been set a little more in the beginning. I had no clue we were talking about a high school kid until halfway through the thing.

Bootaaay - "Procrastination" - Love the concrete imagery. The blobs of blu-tack, the hum of the photcopier. Tumultuous masses of cloud. As for criticisms: I see what you did there. Do you think the confessional made the story stronger? I'm not sure, though I certainly understand the temptation. I had a whole story planned out for this topic, then decided I hated it and it was totally unoriginal, then went with something totally different. I feel you, man. Hard to ignore that little voice.

crowphoenix - "Things I Still Need to Do" - I like the structural choice here. Always fun to see folks experimenting a little, and it works surprisingly well. I think the "beat cancer" item on the list is maybe a little too on-the-nose. You know me, always preferring the undersold, inferred topic to the overt. Also, come back more often, we miss you. Taverns and all! ;)

zethren - "Stuck" - I like that you made your zombie story about a relationship rather than about zombies. The MC's cynical but relaxed POV makes for a smooth read. I might've cut down on the repition of "the last thing she said to me that stuck", as I got the idea after the first couple. Also not sure about bringing the zombies into the foreground with the ending. I sort of liked having it as a subtle background thing.

I think pessimistic is the wrong word, it's more that mix of the lurid pop culture references and the nihilistic tone, like chuck paluhniuk or something. Not necessarily bad, it's just a tone I get from your work, and I find that style a little - I don't know, one dimensional?

Oh, of course it is. Besides Kate, which was an chapter from a first draft, everything I've written here has been on the fly.

Voting was really hard this time, due to the influx of quality pieces. Usually I have a strong idea for the top 1 or 2, and then I have to struggle a little to find a third that I liked above the rest, but this time there were a solid 5 or 6 stories vying not for the top three, but for first overall. Great submissions dudes, and I hope we get just as many for #101.

Votes:

1. Aaron - "The Unveiling"
2. DumbNameD - "Before This"
3. Azih - "Two Tasks"

honorable mentions: Cyan - "Chicken", GSR - "Jeanie", zethren - "Stuck"

dishonorable mentions: ronito - "At 30 Rockerfeller Plaza" - for there is no honor to be found in the world of exploding donkeys

1. Mike Works
2. Tangent
3. Jedeye Sniv

HM; Aaron, Jables, bakemono, DumbNameD, Ashes

Damn, that was hard, so many awesome entries this week.

As for criticisms: I see what you did there. Do you think the confessional made the story stronger? I'm not sure, though I certainly understand the temptation.

I think it did, but I'd also consider myself biased, as I had come to hate the story I was writing. If I'd given myself the time to write and improve the piece I think I may have possibly gotten something good out of it, but the confessional was just a cheap way of propping up the broken pieces. I feel I need to get into a mindset of writing ideas down as they come to me, of working on stories over days, not burning them out in hours, because as it is, and as evidenced here, I come up with themes and images and snatches of conversation and then consistently expect myself to be able to fill in the gaps a few scant hours before the deadline.

Grakl

Votes:

1. Tangent
2. Mike Works
3. Cyan

Tangent, I'm loving your stuff, as usual, haha. Thanks for the criticisms, guys.

starsky

1.cyan
2.mike works
3.aaron
HM. Gsr, ashes, dnd

Will be back later with comments.

Ps. Hi ashes! Thx for the wb. And, cyan, lol. I sneaked in as the ninja I am.

Valerie Cherish - "LEGO Fire Brigade; 2,231 Pieces":... here’s a critique-y question: why couldn’t she remember that the lego was Travis’?

Repressed memory of her child's death; came around the same time as the divorce with her husband. The car accident was when she was driving Travis to stay with his dad for the weekend. She lived in denial of the incident and her husband had soon after quit talking with her because he had no legal obligation to. She always wanted him back though and being able to see him after the death was reason enough for her to at least remember him and the pain from losing him. Nobody ever really brought up the son, because it was uncomfortable for anyone to mention and this neighbor just happened to say it. Whether it was because they thought enough time had passed, it was a genuine accident, or genuine slip is something I should probably decide.

I'm not saying that that is a great or even good answer and may lead to more questions, but it's what I was thinking as I wrote it. I was trying to write something considerably longer and hated it and wanted to trim it to one (unfortunately terribly long/run-on) sentence. So, this was a bit of an experiment for me.

Aaron: Interesting once you got into the artist, but I think I would have enjoyed more of his psychosis and less of the real.

Jedeye Sniv: The clichés were what brought this down for me. They were never so bad as to pull me out of the story, but they did tend to distract.

DGRE: You’re a good man. You don’t mask your faults. The only real flaw to this piece is that it seemed like it was leading towards a conflict between you and your wife. So your son being affected came a shock.

Irish: I liked it. It resonated and the visuals were strong. The only flaw it has was that the third stanza doesn’t feel like it fit as well as the others.

Ronito: Not as fun as the previous Al stories, but still manic and fun. This one is brought down by a bit more telling than is normal for you. Also, Riot gear, riot gear, riot gear, riot gear.

Jables: There were a few things here and there that pulled me out of this story, such as the reaction of the nurse and Charlie’s possible resurgence of memory at the end. But you captured a good emotion for most of that piece that if refined would be really powerful.

Bakemono: Difficulty story, difficult topic. And I have to admit that I don’t fully buy the story we are told, but perhaps that’s the point? However, the mother is completely overshadowed by the story the girl is telling to the point she could have been someone else and little would have changed.

Dunbar: I liked what was there, and as usual the dialogue was excellent, but I feel like there were too many unknowns. For instance, what year is it? Where is it? It feels like the wild west but I never felt comfortable enough to fill in that blank in the canvas.

Ward: There seems to be a bit of a disconnect between the first and second half in tone. In the earlier bits, the character seems so perfectly content with his life that it feels a bit surprising when he starts yearning for connection. Not that that’s a flaw in your story, I would have just liked to see a few more cracks,

Zethren: This was a fun piece, and I really love how you treated the zombie like things as something just there. It was a nice touch. However, your repetition of “it was the last thing she said to me that stuck” really brought this piece down in the beginning and made the ending way too expected

Boot: Honestly, what you gave us was enough. The bits you gave us were strong and painted the characters in vibrant colors, and the reader shaded everything else in with what was left out. It was a surprisingly touching piece wrapped in the annoyance everyone here has felt.

Grakl: I think this piece could have been improved by shorting the beginning. It felt too detailed, to the point where I had to fight not to skip the last lipstick paragraph. However, the second and third sections were excellent.

GSR: Wow, that was damn good. I love how you peppered the reality of the situation into the memories. It added a sense of horror with the suddenness.

Sober: Very fun little story. The beginning was a little choppy and hard to get a good sense of, but oce the story picked up speed it got very good.

Azih: A post- apocalyptic postman? Where have I encountered that before? Anyway, this was a fun story.

Valerie Cherish: I think you could trim this down some.

Lone_Prodigy: That would be some very effective propaganda right there. It was a good piece, but I don’t think I fully understood the last line.

Mike Works: Strong piece. There was some disjointedness here and there as time passed and scenes jumped, but overall a cohesive and tight story.

Tangent: That is one harsh tradition. Beautiful story. I just wish I knew why they had that tradition.

HP Wuv: As overwrought as Geeks are want to do.

DND: Fun story that captures the whimsy of childhood manic imagination.

Cyan: That story raised my night’s Utility by three.

Ashes: I enjoyed it. I just have difficulty connecting the end to the first paragraph.

----------------------------

1) GSR
2) Mike Works
3) Tangent

HM: Cyan, Ashes, Azih

Sober

Not really critiques entirely, mostly comments if I had anything to say:

ronito - "At 30 Rockerfeller Plaza": no idea what I just read but I would love to see a made-for-TV movie of that.

crowphoenix - "Things I Still Need to Do": Interesting format first of all, and how it progressed into something more than that.

Bootaaay - "Procrastination": Enjoyed the commentary between actual story pieces. Yeah, some tropes are done to death but I guess that's the world we live in, all we can hope for is to put our own spin on it. :p

Grakl - "An Abusive Occupation": Even after a few reads I did not really understand how the story really flowed in this one. I feel like a few more words could've been spent with the transitions at the end (for clarity's sake anyway)

GSR - "Jeanie": That reveal was something I wasn't expecting, although I should have with his recollections mixed up with a crazy stream of consciousness that made it feel him sound a bit crazy, until I got to the end, that is.

Azih - "Two Tasks": Interesting post-apoc setting, it's probably going to be better than that new show Revolution already! (even with the Apple cults)

DumbNameD - "Before This": Like how you captured the craziness of a child's imagination.

Cyan - "Chicken": I think most of the game theory stuff kinda made my eyes glaze over a bit (though no fault of yours, just some topics will do that to me) but I think it worked out in the end really well.

Votes:
1. Jedeye Sniv
2. Tangent
3. zethren
HMs: Bootaaay, GSR, Azih, Mike Works, DumbNameD

Tangent

Wow, I'm finally done. And beat. I'll vote in a bit. I need a drink of water and a round of pull-ups. Or something like that. Maybe just a break from my screen.

Ashes – The Unveiling: While the beginning of this story was slower, it still caught my interest, like a slowly revealing mystery. There were parts in the middle where I got a little lost, but I think that’s just me. If I had time, I’d give it a second read. I liked how Sutton was somewhat of a mystery, but then showed emotion at the end… and yet at the same time, the reader would have understood Sutton if more was revealed about him, other than being sort of stoic and removed. But… if you did that, then I think the essence of Sutton and the reason why he was being interviewed…would have all been lost. The whole story got much more momentum in the final third. Well done.

Jedeye Sniv – Pro Patria Mori: This was so fun to read and my attention never once waivered (even though this was close to the end of the stories I read – I read them all out of order just to jumble it up). It was all very realistic. I also liked how the MC didn’t sexualize Freddie because I think there was too much of a mental obstacle to do so. Plus I liked how you blurred the lines between romantic and comrade love. I saw a huge collection of photos and letters that alluded to this idea, and how it occurs often in battle. You described both characters very well. Your descriptions are often. I especially liked, “His daredevil grin and his deep red hair poking out from underneath his helmet” and the bit about freckles on his nose. You really nailed those characters down.

DGRE – 52 Weeks in Seoul/Know You’re Loved: Nice little slice of life that felt entirely realistic, I guess, cuz it probably was real. But still, that’s hard to do so bravo! I think you captured the experience of a parent very well, too. I think this is a fear – or point of excitement for the braver ones – that a lot of parents have: what are the traits, and looks, that will be passed down? But it’s not always spoken of. So cheers to you.

Irish – Four Instead of Five: Pretty amazing poet you are, Irish! (It also sounds good when read in an Irish accent. ) Beautiful and powerful. Um…. I wish I knew poetry better to say more.

Ronito – At 30 Rockerfeller Plaza: This was so fun to read! I think writing action scenes are hard but you did well in keeping the fast pace, and yet still making everything vivid. And I can’t believe you introduced the donkey so early on. I wish we all had a mascot in our writing. Awesome ending. The ending line was absolutely perfect.

Jables – Second Chance: This was a very captivating story. It sort of reminded me of The Notebook without the cheesy bits. Nevertheless, I think you could have created more suffering in this story! I know that sounds so grim, but considering that Alzheimer’s is so horrible, if it was tied with any dementia, I think you could have shown more fear in Charlie. And fear turning into more rage than simple anger. Charlie could have even thrown a bottle at Chase or something. Well I guess Charlie doesn’t get that stuff if he’s in a nursing home. But something more threatening from the father would have been really good, and a turning point in Chase that gives him conviction to stay and persist, perhaps. But I say all this because I think you have a good story, and I like how you brought in the fear of being a parent, etc., and not knowing parenthood until it’s there. That mom sounded amazing. Good job with the style – it was a smooth read.

Bakemono – Goodbye Sisters: This was a very captivating story, and it gave me the chills with how psychotic it all was! Well done for creating that mood. And awesome ending where I felt like the mother got sucked into the hyper-empathy these girls had. There is a book called Parables of a Sewer by Octavia Butler, and the main character had hyper empathy, to the point that she would have had practically felt a bullet wound if she were to shoot another person.

John Dunbar – Too Many Humble Heroes: The way you described Smiley in the beginning was awesome. He almost sounded innocent. You wrote the fight scene very cleanly, and it was easy to imagine. Again, I find this hard to do, so bravo. I also liked the dialog. The storyline was an attention-grabber. I guess the only thing is that I wish I knew a bit more about this Jefferson character and how he tied into Smiley, and maybe a bit more about the boy assassin, or more about the gang. But those concerns were small in comparison to the overall flow of the story, which was engaging.

Ward – When He’s Dead It’s the End: Oh man! I absolutely loved the beginning of this. I didn’t know whether I’d be readying about a psychopathic killer (which you sort of alluded to at the end) or someone who was autistic, a unibomber, or just a geek trying to be something. My interest wained a bit when you started talking about the friends. Perhaps this is because I was expecting something and this seemed to be off-topic. But maybe that’s just me not being open to a change in course, as a reader. But I was much more interested in the psychology of the MC vs. his friends. Though I can see they go hand-in-hand. Anyway, great opening and it was very strong for the first half.

Zethren – Stuck: Good description of actions. I think that the flashbacks might have been more vivid with a little dialog too. I like how you return to the theme of what the MC remembered Eloise saying. But I think that tying up that memory at the end a bit more would have been helpful too. Nice job of capturing the essence of the MC and how memories work, etc.

Crowphoenix – Things I Still Need to Do: This was awesome. If this was an experiment, that’s impressive. I liked the progression of it, and I liked how we could see the progression of his thought process too. I really think you should do something with this! It’s so great.

Bootaaay – Procrastination: Dude. IDK what you’re talking about all those disclaimers at the end. This was SUCH a fun idea. And I’m sure all of us can perfectly relate. This was a creative idea and I liked how the reader got to experience the author’s experience. Something that doesn’t happen too often – we only get to escape into the actual story. I would explore this style more. It vaguely reminds me of “The Princess Bride.” On that note, I’d consider twisting the plot here and there, as an author might do, or changing up motives, or something. But this would require you to have a longer piece, where you can first grab the reader’s attention fully into the plot of the story, and hold that while you indulge in writing about the author’s perspective. But I think it would be fun. Way to go!

Grakl – An Abusive Occupation: Wow, I’ve never read such detailed description of lipstick in my life! I like how you bring it back later in the story, but still felt like the description was extra long. Maybe I’m missing something though, in terms of what the lipstick might have symbolized. I think you did an excellent job of describing the abusive scene – very vivid and easy to read.

GSR – Jeannie: I liked the start of each paragraph and the sort of cyclical pattern of Dubront’s thought pattern. Having said that, it’s hard for the reader to re-read the same recollection of what happened to the daughter. But I think it’s a good idea to write that way, since people often re-remember an event. (That was something I was toying with in my story, and each remembrance took the MC farther from the truth.) But I wonder how you could make it so that each reiteration had something new. But maybe that’s it: some new revelation each time. I also liked how you expressed what the MC thought of her daughter, in contrast with his grim perception of the rest of the world.

Sober – Birthday Pilgrimage: At first I thought this was gonna be like my story but not at all! The ending paragraph was my favorite part – you pulled it off without getting cheesy. I guess the one part that dragged just a little was the 1 or 2 paragraphs at “Rob couldn’t make heads-or-tails of Frank after all these years.” Maybe that description could have been slightly shorter but even then, I think it’s just fine. Very smooth read, nicely done.

Azih – Two Tasks: Very creative story and a fun read. I like how reading about the future felt like reading about the past a bit. I liked the way you thought about how universities would be regarded. On that note, I wonder what else he would have seen in his trek that would have been amusing. But maybe that would have completely distracted from this short story – perhaps more appropriate for a longer novella or something. It’d be a big seller in the Silicon Valley!

Valerie Cherish – LEGO Fire Brigade; 2,231 Pieces: It sounds like you didn’t have time to make something longer. But even a haiku can have a lot of meaning! So, even with your line, I think I see what you are going for… but I wonder if in your short sentence, you could have described a bit more why the mom didn’t recognize it. She seemed to have a lapse in memory of her own son, so I wonder if she has had mental health stuff or what not.

Lone Prodigy – Thanks Dad: This was fun to read and the letter was very well written. I could practically hear the dad’s voice. I was glad I got to hear the kid’s response too because I wasn’t sure if the story would end with just the letter – which might have also been interesting, but maybe frustrating to the reader! With the ending, though, I wish there was more reflection or reaction on the part of the kid, before he saw the church. I liked how the church was somewhat of a cliffhanger and if he was going to try to go meet his dad. That would allow for a whole other story in which maybe there’d be more point to the fighting than just duty, but also personal relation, etc. That would be way down the line though. I vaguely thought of Ender’s Game when I read this.

Mike Works – The Finish: Loved the 2nd POV. I also liked the word choice and the ease of reading. Also, creative topic. I liked the main character but at points the MC felt a little less convincing than could have been… but I think I’m just trying to find something. Overall, this was a great story with the right amount of seriousness, pace, and emotion. I also liked reading about her relation to others, and to her job.

HP_Wuvcraft – The Art of Geeks, Part I: Ode to a Toilet: Hmm, I wish I could say something to this, but I think I don’t have enough of the background knowledge to be able to speak to why all is so bleak. But, it sounds interesting. Good start.

DumbNameD – Before This: Very creative idea. I like how you blurred reality and fantasy. You could go on and on with this story and it wouldn’t get boring. I really liked how Moira said, “You must forget your past, my dear.” Especially since kids sometimes use play as the kid-version of talk therapy, and it helps the KIDS move on from THEIR past. So nice spin on that. I also liked the analogy, “the words cut through the silence like scissors through construction paper.”

Cyan – Chicken: This reminded me of college – time spent in tangential ways! Off target! What I thought was funny was how the subject of each emailed changed with the number of question marks and exclamation points!!?!?! I wonder if there could be a way you could expand on helping the reader understand the characters better. I felt like I could picture Malcolm and his personality a bit better than Luftweng’s, for example. (I wonder if he is left wing, too! Hee hee.) I also questioned how much the professor would entertain the question since that would take a lot of his time, anyway, which is what he is trying to avoid. If he was entertaining it, then I was surprised by his serious tone. I did like the tone of Malcom’s writing though. And I liked how casual he was with his professor. Overall, I thought this was very creative, and well-executed. I liked how you brought in the 3rd character too, but expected that she’d chime in too. But anyway, very fun read.

Ashes1396 – The Unfinished Experiment: The middle of this story was the most captivating for me. I had difficulty feeling engaged in the beginning. Once the discussion about “paradise” began, I was hooked, and it was very fun to visualize the spelunking, which you described well, and with a good pace. The ending was very well done, and nicely ironic. I would say that I wish I knew a bit more about Conrad and Jules, and a way to spice up the 1st third of the story.

Aaron

Thanks for reading. Would it be possible to point out a couple of sections that stick out as bad? I'm very aware that I have issues with the dreaded comma and it's something that I try to keep an eye on in the edit phase. I'd be really grateful for sone specific examples though so I can be more careful in future. Thanks!

'We don’t sleep on the front lines. We may have your eyes closed, huddled together for warmth and safety, but the sounds of [warfare] rip us from the gentle arms of sleep like a babe from the breast. We never become used to it. So we lean up against the wall of the trench to snatch what rest we can. Never lie quite horizontal for fear of drowning in the slurry of rainwater, blood and shit that laps endlessly against these shores of hell.'

I trimmed it a little too. You over-describe things, which is something I have a habit of doing, but instead of making things clear it just buries the important details. There's also a big change of perspective halfway through the paragraph that's very jarring.

Tangent

Tangent - "The Pilgrimage to Mount Nara" - Wow, that was really interesting! Was this a real thing? I think the choice of the omniscient head-hopping POV worked, though don't forget to be careful with it. I found it surprising that a woman so old that she feels she should take her own life is able to run and walk such distances. Probably helpful in this type of story to watch out for anachronistic expressions like "kidding yourself." (that's something worth spending an editing pass on, probably--don't worry about it while writing)

Oh good point on "kidding yourself." Thanks for the "heads up" (pun!) about POV. I do need to be more careful with that; I think I confuse myself, even. And yes, that was a real thing... crazy, huh? There are a lot of Japanese movies based off of it. It happened in rural areas the most and I think I heard that it still occurs in remote parts of Japan.

Tangent - "The Pilgrimage to Mount Nara": I liked the setting and tone of the diction, and also the ticking clock that the story was framed around. That said, I didn’t buy certain aspects that were meant to move the story forward – specifically, the mother’s transition to her suddenly thinking about this terrible moment that happened decades ago (and then she starts running even though she’s frail). I’m not quite sure what the point was of making that past experience ultimately meaningless either. It may be a more philosophical answer, but in terms of the story itself and its engagement, that climactic scene kind of fell flat. I think there’s definitely potential in the framework here, but it just needs to be a little more natural or convincing. Lastly, the final line came off quite comedic in my reading, and I’m not sure if that was the desired intent.

Yeah I didn't know how to convey that the grandma was fit, even though she was small. Maybe frail wasn't the right word to use. I guess, when I heard about this tradition, I was surprised since 70 seemed so young, especially for fit, healthy Japanese folk. And, thanks for the heads up: I think I didn't convey what I was trying to... my idea was that we can build our memories up into these monsters, and believe our own recollections. When in fact, the most accurate memory is one that is never re-played even once in one's head. Oh and thanks for the heads up about the final line. Yeah, I didn't mean for it to be comedic, but perhaps a mix of emotions and not ONLY sad.

Tangent - The Pilgrimage to Mount Nara
This was pretty good. I loved the Japanese setting, it was very unlike the modern day or post apocalyptic stuff I’ve been reading today, so it was a nice change of pace. I thought the mystery of what Rin was remembering was a little flat. She didn’t say those things after all? Then how did she remember them? Or perhaps she did say them, and Iku was sparing her embarrassment, or offering forgiveness? I could see this, especially in Japan. Or maybe you’re just talking about the gulf in perception from one person to another. Either way, the story was evocative and easily read, a success.

Yeah that's sort of what was happening. I didn't convey this very well, but as I mentioned to MikeWorks: my idea was that we can build our memories up into these monsters, and believe our own recollections. When in fact, the most accurate memory is one that is never re-played even once in one's head.

Votes:
Tangent, I'm loving your stuff, as usual, haha. Thanks for the criticisms, guys.

Wow, that's a huge compliment. Thank you very much. I hope I can keep it up.

Although it took forever to read all these, I think I learned the most this time around more than ever before -- just by reading all of your guys' stuff. Some really awesome stories. Voting will be sort of a crap shoot.
Votes:
1. JedeyeSniv
2. MikeWorks
3. Bakemono
HM: cyan, crowphoenix, ashes, dumbnamed

Azih

1. Tangent
2. DumbNameD
3. baekemono

HM: Mike Works, crowphoenix, zethren

NB: Couldn't open your submission Ashes.

Aaron:

I liked it though there were some grammar issue that would have been taken care of by an extra editing pass or too. Liked the main character though the ending scene didn't quite work for me.

Jedeye Sniv:

Nice love story, but it was set up as a period piece and I don't think it felt authentic to the time period and nationality.

DGRE:

Lovely little slice of life. You are right though it did feel a lot like a blog post.

Ronito:

=I think you picked an incredibly difficult challenge with a comic action piece. It was funny in places but it felt like the timing was off at some times.

Jables:

I liked it a lot aside from the typo in the first paragraph. I was a bit confused about how Chase got the pictures from his mom. Also I don't think Chase smirking at the end really fit with the rest of it. A bit too sardonic an expression for the sentimental bent of the story.

baekmono:
Really great creepy horror story.

John Dunbar:
I liked it and the dialogue was sharp. I just don't think the flow of the story supported the last paragraph.

crowphoenix:

Fun list. Fun story, sweet and short.

zethren:

Holding on to what's important even as the world ends. I liked the story a lot

Ward:

I liked the story as a small little character study of a slightly awkard character. Not so sure about the last line.

Bootay:

A lot of really good ideas but a little indulgent yeah?

Grakl:

Confused me a bit, was the last part on stage or somewhere else? The start with the makeup also left me wondering.

GSR:

Great structure and a really interesting way to convey the plot. The practicality of John and the insanity of his last action was jarring though. It might have been what you were going for though.

Sober:

The time shifts were a bit confusing until I figured out what was going on. I liked it after that.

Valeri Cherish:

Very very short. An interesting moment and realization but I'm not able to accept that she would forget what the Lego set was there for.

Lone_Prodigy:

Well flowing story and well written letter. The churt part confused me though. Wasn't he in the church, then why did he see a burnt out one at the end?

Mike Works:

Very odd choice of tense, but it seems like that's what makes the story work as well as it does

Tangent:

Really really liked this one. The guilt the mother carried with her for so long is what makes it really poignant for me.

DumbNameD:

Lovely story. Just lovely.

Cyan: Fun story, just a bit too technical for me to follow without serious study so I just skimmed the various matrices. I would have given you a vote but I'm not cramming to figure out a short story!

interesting thread, just started reading the stories.

now I don't have anything readily written for that but I'm currently finishing up a somewhat long short story (9000ish words) and was wondering if anyone would like to critique it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom