• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KtSlime

Yeah, I've got it running in VMWare Fusion and it's pretty nice :D Love the Facebook integration :D The birthday reminders are pretty awesome.

I wasn't overly stoked by the preliminary implementation (I'm not much of a microblogger), but after turning on Facebook Contacts, I can see that this will be a great thing for many people. With just a few exceptions Contacts automatically linked contacts I had with my Facebook Friends and propagated all the information - I know other OSes have probably had this feature for a while, but this will make exchanging contact information loads easier. Hope they go the extra step and include a check box for Facebook Chat like they do Google Talk. It'd be nice if they also did Notes syncing over Facebook, but it is the least likely service to get the treatment, since Facebook does not implement theirs over IMAP. They still have 3 months to work on the integration, so I am expecting it to be well done and feature rich.

sikkinixx

Prepping to wipe my 2010 11" air and do a clean install. Dont wanna do another upgrade. Too much shit everywhere. Hope ML runs well in the old' 1.4 C2D

hirokazu

it never existed. the last OS X to have a glass vertical dock was tiger.
I don't know why you're denying it even though I've seen it with my own eyes? Did you use the early builds of Leopard? Tiger never even had a 3D dock to begin with.

A quick search of the Internet will even yield mentions of them removing the 3D vertical dock in the GM build. It was 3D in all the builds before that:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=373507

20070829sidedock.png

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Try Xtrafinder - works with 10.8 (at least according to the release notes; i'm still on 10.7) and offers most everything that Total Finder does, except it's free and feels far snappier.

http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/
It doesn't remember all my open "windows" (tabs) when I restart it or reboot. Shame.

I mean, I'd love to have a better Finder, but Path Finder has always been way to overfilled with options and Total Finder required SIMBL and cost money. I like this app but it forgetting everything is silly. I'd much rather it be a SIMBL plugin just to keep it working. But I had a problem with Total Finder before in that SIMBL would never load fast and the Finder would load before it and would then ignore Total Finder, which sucked. Because I liked the app. I emailed the SIMBL person and he said it was not supported and not his fault. So I'd much rather sidestep SIMBL now. (It's like Unsanity's APE extensions.)

Hopefully in time because I'd love to streamline my Finder using. It also needs to have a Fullscreen option possibly maybe. I just want a Finder that remembers my settings and doesn't just randomly forget things I set.

I don't know why you're denying it even though I've seen it with my own eyes? Did you use the early builds of Leopard? Tiger never even had a 3D dock to begin with.

A quick search of the Internet will even yield mentions of them removing the 3D vertical dock in the GM build. It was 3D in all the builds before that:
Yeah, it was only in pre-releases of Leopard. They realized it looked silly vertically so they removed it.

celebi23

Come on Apple, release the damn thing already. I wanna post my OT :D It has everything that you could ever want to know about Mountain Lion and Mountain Lion Server :D

sikkinixx

Come on Apple, release the damn thing already. I wanna post my OT :D It has everything that you could ever want to know about Mountain Lion and Mountain Lion Server :D

It needs to wait a bit. John Siracusa's Ars Technica review isn't quite done, and sadly his grandfather just passed away so he'll need more time. Tradition.

hirokazu

Can someone with Mountain Lion let me know if the address book properly syncs with Google contacts?

I assume you imply that syncing with Google Contacts doesn't work for you currently? It's worked fine for me in Lion, so I'm not sure if they fixed any problems you may have. :/

It needs to wait a bit. John Siracusa's Ars Technica review isn't quite done, and sadly his grandfather just passed away so he'll need more time. Tradition.

Nuuuuuuuu... :( Mountain Lion delayed so an in-depth analysis will be ready in time. :p

celebi23

Aw man, really? :( Losing a relative is rough :( I love his in-depth OS X reviews. So awesome :D I guess I can keep fine-tuning my OT in the mean time :p

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I seem to have a weird bug where it takes a long time for my WiFi to connect to the internet when I wake up or reboot. WiFi connects, but I get the exclamation point for a few minutes.

frico

I assume you imply that syncing with Google Contacts doesn't work for you currently? It's worked fine for me in Lion, so I'm not sure if they fixed any problems you may have. :/

How do you have it setup? I find I make changes on my Mac and they do not go up to Google.

mrkgoo

Will it tell me what happens to my nonMacappstore version of Aperture? Will ihave to manually download updates, or will it give the AppStore version for free, or just update via the AppStore like an integrated software update, or will I have to buy it again?

celebi23

Will it tell me what happens to my nonMacappstore version of Aperture? Will ihave to manually download updates, or will it give the AppStore version for free, or just update via the AppStore like an integrated software update, or will I have to buy it again?

Huh, that's a good thing to add. What I've found (with my non-Mac App Store iWork '09 & iLife '09) is that the Mac App Store handles all the software updates (much like the separate Software Update app did). But, those apps will not show up in the Purchased section. I assume the same goes for Aperture. I hope that answers it :)

hirokazu

F6T7+

Just tried it and it works fine, even though I've switched to iCloud now.

Yeah, that's the other thing, I don't think you can sync to both iCloud and Google at the same time. If you switch over to iCloud, it'll disable to Google sync. You'd have to keep two contact lists, one for iCloud, and one for Google (On My Mac).

mrkgoo

Huh, that's a good thing to add. What I've found (with my non-Mac App Store iWork '09 & iLife '09) is that the Mac App Store handles all the software updates (much like the separate Software Update app did). But, those apps will not show up in the Purchased section. I assume the same goes for Aperture. I hope that answers it :)

Sort of, thanks :)

I know mac app store handles the software updates now, so judging by what you say, it's really just an integration of the system into that app, as opposed to moving updates INTO the store, if you know what I mean.

I did read anothe roost elsewhere saying I will actually be given the AppStore version, but I dunno.

celebi23

Sort of, thanks :)

I know mac app store handles the software updates now, so judging by what you say, it's really just an integration of the system into that app, as opposed to moving updates INTO the store, if you know what I mean.

I did read anothe roost elsewhere saying I will actually be given the AppStore version, but I dunno.

Yeah. I'm not sure were you read that but, I installed iLife '09 & iWork '09 (from my discs), in the Mountain Lion GM, and the Mac App Store didn't put those apps into my Purchased section. It only handles the updates for the apps. Software Update was just integrated into the Mac App Store. The Mac App Store now handles all system updates & other general app updates. Hope that explains it better.

Will it tell me what happens to my nonMacappstore version of Aperture? just update via the AppStore like an integrated software update?

I think this. I bought iLife '11 on DVD before the app store came out. When I installed ML, I had to reinstall from the DVD, but I had to manually get iPhoto 9.1 from the Apple site before it would show up in the App Store software update.

mrkgoo

Yeah. I'm not sure were you read that but, I installed iLife '09 & iWork '09 (from my discs), in the Mountain Lion GM, and the Mac App Store didn't put those apps into my Purchased section. It only handles the updates for the apps. Software Update was just integrated into the Mac App Store. The Mac App Store now handles all system updates & other general app updates. Hope that explains it better.

I think this. I bought iLife '11 on DVD before the app store came out. When I installed ML, I had to reinstall from the DVD, but I had to manually get iPhoto 9.1 from the Apple site before it would show up in the App Store software update.

Yah, I heard it on a less-than-authoritative board. I wasn't convinced.

Yeah, seems like softwares update is still around, it just hangs out in a different place.

celebi23

Forgot about that. I added that to the FAQ section of my OT too. Thanks!

Yah, I heard it on a less-than-authoritative board. I wasn't convinced.

Yeah, seems like softwares update is still around, it just hangs out in a different place.
Yeah, my iPhoto still updates in the App Store app, but it behaves exactly as it did before in the Software Update app. There is a dividing line between system/external app updates at the top and the App Store updates below.

So how does Skype run on Mountain Lion? Still at 100% CPU usage and fan crazyness? I would really like to update from Skype 2.8 someday, but in Lion Skype 5.x is just going crazy on my Macs when I'm in a video call.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really wish this option:

ibtLnr9JUlr7Tb.PNG

Would place some kind of indicator on the Dock icon that there are windows minimized down there. I'd use it if I could tell at a glance that I have windows minimized. Right now it's still a half-baked feature that's been there for a while now.

LCfiner

Is there really enough new changes to do an in-depth review? I love his reviews though, and wish him the best.

Oh, he’ll find stuff :)

Snow Leopard had very few user facing changes and he wrote tons and tons about the behind the scenes stuff. It really helped me appreciate what Apple was doing with that release - even if I admit that a bit of it was over my head as I’m not a programmer.

KtSlime

Snow Leopard had very few user facing changes and he wrote tons and tons about the behind the scenes stuff. It really helped me appreciate what Apple was doing with that release - even if I admit that a bit of it was over my head as I’m not a programmer.

They redid the graphics rendering - that there at least warrants 8 pages from Siracusa. They also heavily tweaked the scheduler, and memory allocation/deallocation algorithms. I'm sure Gatekeeper could get a few pages as well.

It just stunk that we didn't really get to see so many of those improvements getting taken advantage of until about the last year.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is there really enough new changes to do an in-depth review? I love his reviews though, and wish him the best.
There's always under the hood stuff to talk about. Plus there are some good things on the surface too. Especially iCloud integration. Also screen rendering as mentioned and GateKeeper and Power Nap. (Anyone know if Power Nap is accessible to developers or closed off? I want backup programs OTHER than Time Machine, which I don't use, to be allowed to do their business while asleep.)

NekoFever

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to him digging into how stuff like Gatekeeper works and the technical details of AirPlay Mirroring. It always seems like his reviews get you through the door with the user-facing changes but then hook you with the technical stuff. Even on subjects that I don't really understand, I'll read the whole thing.

KtSlime

I did an upgrade this time, because I wanted to see how well Apple has gotten at making one os seamlessly transition to another. All things running smooth. The first restart was kind of annoying, but it always is. Spotlight has to index, all app caches have to be trashed and regenerated, many libraries need to be rebuilt, etc, but other than that flawless. Popped up a message saying x and x were disabled because they need an update, everything reloaded as I last left it, and I was on my way.

Ninja Dom

I did an Upgrade last time when I went from Snow Leopard to Lion. But my MacBook has slowed down a little bit one year on.

I'd like to do the full re-instal this time round.

Also does anybody know how to download Mountain Lion onto a USB Drive so that it can self install off the drive? I also want to do this. When I did Lion I just downloaded it straight from the App Store so I don't have a "physical copy" of it to do re-installs.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I did an Upgrade last time when I went from Snow Leopard to Lion. But my MacBook has slowed down a little bit one year on.

I'd like to do the full re-instal this time round.

Also does anybody know how to download Mountain Lion onto a USB Drive so that it can self install off the drive? I also want to do this. When I did Lion I just downloaded it straight from the App Store so I don't have a "physical copy" of it to do re-installs.

Inside the package you download to install Lion, or now Mountain Lion I guess lol, is a disc image you can burn so you have a physical copy, it is what I do to make sure I always have that backup handy for worse case scenarios.

This guide seems alright for doing it via USB though, I didn't really read through it properly but it looked like the same way you could do Lion.

Though it doesn't say how big ML is, those who have downloaded it, how big is the disc image?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So how is everyone installing Mountain Lion?

Upgrade or an erase and install?
Well, the GM didn't even give me an option. It jumped right into the installation after rebooting. Then rebooted right into the OS right where I left off before with nothing broken.

I didn't need to make a USB drive. Apple has made it so easy you don't need to leave the house/internal drive. It installs the installer to a partition and reboots onto it and installs from there. No disk, no disc, no drive required at all.

I suspect the final version will have an option to reformat and install and migrate which is what I would have done had it not done everything for me. I didn't even get to use the backup clone I had prepared. Damn you for making it so easy, Apple! Damn you!

Thanks man.

I got an 8GB USB Stick ready & waiting. I hope it's big enough.

Handy to have on a USB Stick for MacBook Air's.
The DMG is a little over 4GB so an 8 will be enough. A bit big, but enough. You could if you need to put other installers in the rest of the space for future installs, or just eat the empty space and not worry about it. Seeing as I don't know if it'd fit on a 4GB drive and there aren't any 5GB Flash drives so...

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Do you have to have Lion installed in order to install Mountain Lion, or is Snow Leopard enough?

I actually own Lion, just never got around to installing it. lol

noah111

Still Alive
I'm getting really tempted to just DL the GM before actual release.. but I think I'll hold off this time. What's more difficult of a decision though, is whether I'll be doing a clean install this time or not. From the impressions, upgrading is faster and simpler of a process than ever this time around. But I really have a lot of baggage I want to get away from tbh.

Either way, I can't wait. I really hope it's not released in the last days of the months again, though..

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.

20070829sidedock.png
Apple was right to change this. Doesn't look good.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Apple was right to change this. Doesn't look good.

The 3D dock in general is one of Apple's few major design bloopers. For one the angle of it is completely awful. For two the interaction between the 2D icons and the 3D-looking dock is...

Urgh. It's horrible. It's the first thing I turn off in a fresh install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom