• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one threaded this yet?

Satterfield: Assassin’s Creed III looks best on Wii U, talk of unannounced/potential launch game
August 5th, 2012 Posted in News, Posted by Valay, Wii U
GameTrailers editor in chief Shade Satterfield predicted a $299 price tag for Wii U on a recent episode of Invisible Walls. During the same show, Satterfield also praised Assassin’s Creed III and teased an unannounced game that could launch alongside the new console.

Regarding Assassin’s Creed III, Satterfield believes that the console version looks best on Wii U. He’s played the game on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as well. Assassin’s Creed III’s visuals, paired with “added functionality” make it a worthwhile Wii U launch title for Satterfield:

“I’m definitely getting Assassin’s Creed III. And like Mike said, I’ve seen pretty much all three versions at this point. To me, the Wii U version looks the best. It also has added functionality, so that would probably be the one game I’d buy with the Wii U, would be Assassin’s Creed III.”

Satterfield could be picking up a second game for Wii U this holiday season. The thing is, it hasn’t been announced yet, and it isn’t set in stone for launch.

Satterfield teased:

“There’s another game that might make launch that hasn’t been announced yet that maybe I would buy for it. But I can’t really mention that.”
Yea I need to see some things now..hopefully he aint just talkin rubbish.

People just don´t want to believe Nintendo did a powerful box this time. Are they afraid it hurts their next gen HD twins? I don´t know.

PS4 and Xbox 720 WILL outperform Wii U but by far not as much that downports aren´t possible!

I'm convinced the Wii/PS3/360 are the first consoles they've ever seen... have to be! A lot of people on this site have memories shorter than 24 hours. It's extremely difficult to deal with people with fried brains. Impossible, in fact.

NBtoaster

I find it funny that no matter how many times this gets reiterated on the forum, people will continue to believe the contrary.

It will keep getting said until there is evidence of signifiicant capabilities beyond the 360.

Or an up to date leak of the hardware.

It will keep getting said until there is evidence of signifiicant capabilities beyond the 360.

Or an up to date leak of the hardware.

First AAA game made from the ground up for the Wii U will hopefully shut people up.

And no, ZombiU is not made from the ground up for Wii U. It started as Killer Rabbids on HD twins. (Just sayin, because everybody throws this game at me when i pop out this sentence)

What's Wii Fit U's excuse?

WiiU_WiiFitU_2_scrn03_E3.png

Design choice? Wiisports and Mario galaxy 1+2 were also on the same system.

edit: probably the view on the controller. I wonder how much they will use this feature next gen, when it might need all the power it can muster to run the main game. Or maybe people will be accepting of much worse visuals for controller features? But will devs take the time if it wont advertise well?

http://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/4/9/1/3/3/9/WiiU_WiiFitU_2_scrn03_E3.png

Its the design choice. Iwata said himself that Nintendo won´t put a huge budget on every game. Only their blockbuster CORE games will get the budget big enough to make outstanding graphics.

People who buy Wii Fit U don´t care if the game looks like it does or if its rendered using UE4... So why put your money into the visuals of such a game?

AzaK

I am SOOOO hoping they add more depth and variability to P-100. What I've seen looks cool but it also looks like I'd lose interest quite fast.

I am SOOOO hoping they add more depth and variability to P-100. What I've seen looks cool but it also looks like I'd lose interest quite fast.

All the bosses have a one on one fighting mode to be unlocked later in the game which is smash brothers style along with the characters. That's why he is angry at sony.
:)

japtor

By the way, in between moaning about PS All Stars yesterday, Hideki Kamiya (Platinum Games) said that he wanted to make more games for Wii U.

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/232201796548980737
He also posted this in reply to someone asking whether P-100 would be a launch game:
http://t.co/2ZrIQY3R
Thanx all, but if I keep talking, ninjas from Kyoto will force me to commit ritual suicide, so forgive me until there is new, official info.
http://twitpic.com/aevmaq
aevmaq

jerd

This may have been mentioned before, but does anyone else see Nintendo releasing a series of HD classics remastered in HD similar to the 3DS's 3D classics?

Ryoku

edit: probably the view on the controller. I wonder how much they will use this feature next gen, when it might need all the power it can muster to run the main game. Or maybe people will be accepting of much worse visuals for controller features? But will devs take the time if it wont advertise well?

http://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/4/9/1/3/3/9/WiiU_WiiFitU_2_scrn03_E3.png

It's not the view on the controller. We've seen the controller display different scenes on more intensive games. See bird demo, Zelda demo, Nintendo Land, ZombiU, Arkham City, and Assassin's Creed via eagle vision. All while maintaining a stable frame rate (though we really haven't seen the eagle vision yet, I think, even though it was stated that it'd be on the controller).

Wii U Fit's "excuse" is its simple design choice. Also, I'm pretty sure it's using Wii assets, but I'm not sure on that. We've seen better looking games on the Wii :p

This may have been mentioned before, but does anyone else see Nintendo releasing a series of HD classics remastered in HD similar to the 3DS's 3D classics?

This was mentioned since the dawn of the first day of rumors of Project Cafe's existence :p
It's not at all unlikely.

jerd

It's not the view on the controller. We've seen the controller display different scenes on more intensive games. See bird demo, Zelda demo, Nintendo Land, ZombiU, Arkham City, and Assassin's Creed via eagle vision. All while maintaining a stable frame rate (though we really haven't seen the eagle vision yet, I think, even though it was stated that it'd be on the controller).

Wii U Fit's "excuse" is its simple design choice. Also, I'm pretty sure it's using Wii assets, but I'm not sure on that. We've seen better looking games on the Wii :p

This was mentioned since the dawn of the first day of rumors of Project Cafe's existence :p
It's not at all unlikely.

I guess i should have been more clear. I meant releasing them as downloadable titles launch windowish

jerd

All Nintendo published games on Wii U can be purchased DAY 1(!) from the Wii U eShop. Iwata said that at the investers meeting in January, IIRC

Ha I got way too excited for a second. We were actually talking about HD classics. Thats really cool too though. Maybe for $55 rather than $60?

Oh, I'm sure they'll be downloadable. I'm just not sure that they'll be available in the launch window. I woudn't rule it out, but I'm not counting on it, either.

If theres nothing announced the the August Nintendo Direct (<-- NOT official, just going by their track record by being bi monthly) or the fall conference, then you won´t see any in the launch window

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
OK, guys, this has been bothering me for some time. During E3 madness, I'm convinced I read an article where someone high-up at Nintendo (Reggie? Iwata?) said that the games in Nintendo Land hinted at future titles. The quote was something like "We have more games in the works. Play Nintendo Land, and you can probably guess what some of these titles will be."

However, to my annoyance, I have been unable to find the article since. Can anyone help?

This is important, because if the quote is genuine, it would turn Nintendo Land - the underwhelming minigame collection that ruined our E3 dreams - into an indirect confirmation that a new F-Zero, Metroid, etc, is on the way.

Stewox

Banned
The FPS on tv WON´T drop from 2 pads. the FPS from the pads drop to 30 fps, if 2 are used.

Thats a common misunderstanding.

Wii U with 1 pad :

TV -> 60 fps, pad -> 60 fps

Wii U with 2 pads :

TV -> 60 fps, BOTH PADS -> 30fps

This is a bandwidth limit of the wireless transmission. It is capable of sending max, 60 images per second. If you connect a second pad, both screens have to share the bandwidth, reducing the FPS for the PADS ONLY to 30 fps.

Thank you for explaining that.

This is a tradeoff that nintendo made in order to keep the HDTV performance unchanged, it's easier for developers and makes a lot of sense, you won't need 60FPS on 2 player experience as it's not as important, best looking games will focus on top quality and those are singleplayer experiences. Multiplayer doesn't need visual quality.

This looks like to be more of a data transmission fix along with the GPU performance. But the question is if developers will be able to adjust GFX detail for each of the outputs, so each of the output could have it's own level of settings and this can help if the game recognises controller display that it automatically disables some of the programmed settings about GFX, for example lower resolution textures because if you have some really great looking textures transferred to the controller like the idea of switching, the game resolution jumps to the native controller one, but the textures are still rendered the same as intended for the big screen, now because it's a smaller screen and smaller resolution that variable extra detail will not matter because it won't be seen, it's the delta change that could be cut off in order to get more power that could help get the HDTV quality even better. That's the dynamic use of the controller input video that's received from the console, the input being native to the controller's output, the resolution should be and that's easy to do with GPU eyefinity support and game software, that eliminates downscaling which would make it not only non-optimal look but also introduce some latency - we can all see the controller has barely any latency compared to today's LCD HDTVs with crappy firmware. (eurogamer wii u latency)
TLDR; if developers will be able to render the game assets for each video output differently and simulaneously with other outputs

If nintendo announced this they probably have it hardcoded that it drops to 30 just because of the transmission tradeoff. In theory you could have 60FPS no problem, this is an artificial limit therefore. Though this may also be limited for sole reason of saving money on not having to have better or more of the terminal chips or antennas.

Very Important Reminder:
Everyone should get that we're just using "FPS" as a convinience in many cases it's not really frame rate, for certain situations, it's the change in performance, TFLOPs , whatever you use to calculate the power, even if the HDTV performance is in any way lowered or pretty much WHATEVER happnes, the developers will adjust their games to run at the target performance no matter what, at the expense of visual quality. Pretty much there will an impact on visuals or game desing (gameplay, number of particles, effect, monsters running at you) in most cases, not on the actual FPS value. If this rule is broken in any game, that would indicate the sole problem is in the game's programming and quality of it's code, developer's fault, not nintendo's.

Stewox

Banned
Now as a followup to my previous post; the big latency issue.

(that's from the patent so some of you already understand)
The WiiU controller (the console system) will have an automated system that detects the HDTV latency and calculates the lag beta, lag alpha is the output signal that goes into the HDTV and controller, technically the controller will be able to output practically instantly, lag alpha is very very small, but it won't in practise, the lag beta is the time it takes for the HDTV to process the video signal and pixels change. That lag beta will be added on top of the total lag the controller will have, so it will match the HDTV perfectly when calibrated as explained.

Now the catch is, it's all up to the HDTV that will determine your lag, and that's a significant problem here as most mass consumer HDTV have even crappier firmware, peolpe will need to be able to set proper settings and only those that really get some effort behind into looking on forums to get the perfect settings for their HDTV if they have game-mode at all, but even with game-mode it's still a problem, 40-50ms is still a lot.

So gameplay will be significantly hindered if not unplayable at all for any case of competitive or hardcore gaming, on a worst-case scenario anything above 100ms is a huge lag and input from the controller will not be show on the screen practically immediately. This will create public reaction or developer comments, expect something, definitely from Carmack if they make something for WiiU soon.

The detection will be done with the GamePad camera which I expect it to be capable of 60 FPS at least.

Now let's look further, when you switch your main screen to your controller, that mode should not include the added beta lag, and the gameplay experience may be for some games a lot better in terminal mode. But we'll test if this is true, so it's not a bug or mistake in the system.

In conclusion, if the system uses the camera to detect certain pre-defined data, that would probably be a special image on the HDTV screen projected by the console, probably some colors changing or some kind of pattern or shape for the camera to lock on to. If we re-create the effect that the HDTV projects we can display it on a test PC monitor and scan that instead of the HDTV, we can therefore fool the controller into thinking the lag beta is only 4ms or less, bypassing the requirement for play, and (only speculation from this point on ->) making some games that use asymmetric gameplay wrok better for the GamePad guy because he doesn't have to use the HDTV and only

But I can see that nintendo probably already thought of that and won't apply the lag to the asimmetric guy for no reason ... oh wait, reason it is, nintendo will apply the lag in this mode as well, because it's would be cheating by technical design and that's not fair, the GamePad guy in asymmetric mode will have to suffer the low responsiveness to be equally fair as the other players with wiimotes.

So you can see how HDTV manufacturer's firmware that's designed in a way of easy developing insead of quality. They just make a buffer between each of the features the HDTV has and that's a lackluser and ignorant way of doing code. HDTV firmware is the sole blame for any lag that you will get, that includes all the other consoles, no PS4 no X720 are immune, everybody suffers from this.

Carmack explains:
Kotaku E3 2012 VR Video: Skip to 4:00 minute mark.

Carmack from Eurogamer's Uncut E3 2012 interview:
And then the other thing that happens, if it comes from sort of a consumer TV heritage, is - it's the bane of the gaming industry - all the consumer TVs buffer, add latency for features. They go, 'we want to be able to take different resolutions, we want to take different 3D formats, we want to do motion interpolation, we want to do deblocking and content protection'. And in theory all of these can be combined into one massive, streaming pipeline on there that doesn't add much latency. But realistically, the way they get it developed is they say, 'OK, you did HDCP, you did 3D format conversion, you did this,' and there's a buffer in between each one. Some TVs offer a gaming mode that cuts some of that down but even there it's still...

"48ms" comment at keynote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt-iVFxgFWk&feature=player_detailpage#t=3274s

Nintendo may just indirectly cause a big public outcry over this, such a great opportunity; the fact that nintendo has a very effective way of exposing the HDTV latency and rightfully blaming the manufacturers for it and on a mass market scale, everyone with a WiiU will be required to scan the TV before play, it's genious and I can wait until the other developers speak about it publicly, and that may force manufacturers to get working if there's tons of people complaining, because carmack and others in industry are not very successful convincing the HDTV manufacturers into recognizing this issue, he's was bugging at sony to get their firmware fixed and I haven't yet made the full Keynote 2012 video guide so I don't have the exact time mark at which point in Carmack's 2012 keynote he talks a lot of dirt about sony how he could not get anyone and was basically ignored, I only know it's after 1 hour mark, that's when he starts talking about VR.

So all of those X360 graphics boys out there, that used their brand new HDTVs bragging about their "1080p" setup on various forums and even increasing HDTV picture quality settings - they've all made a big mistake, playing for a waste of time in any competitive or serious match, bad idea , probably getting owned by a random CRT guy lol.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
This was uploaded fifteen hours ago:

SAVE like a Fred Meyer Associate!
Print these Reusable Shopping Passes and coupons and bring them in for your extra discounts Friday-Wednesday, August 10-15, 2012

Why even include Wii U there, it's not like the console is launching within those dates? Or maybe this coupon can be used after those dates? Or maybe this simply regards pre-orders. Anyone that has a Fred Meyer store nearby could perhaps check what this is about. Strange anyway to include Wii U in this coupon.

Rösti;40679830 said:
Why even include Wii U there, it's not like the console is launching within those dates? Or maybe this coupon can be used after those dates? Or maybe this simply regards pre-orders. Anyone that has a Fred Meyer store nearby could perhaps check what this is about. Strange anyway to include Wii U in this coupon.

Huh that is weird it would have Wii U on there. It says its a reusable pass but I would assume its only for the dates listed.

Hoodbury

Still kinda wondering how this NDA thing is working. EA got to display and announce their Wii-U games last week. Does this mean each third party has their own version of the NDA? Is Nintendo controlling when each company gets to reveal their games? I've never heard of anything like this before.

You'd think that since EA got to do a reveal that other companies would as well. Getting sick of all this secrecy and driplets of info coming at a snails pace.

deviljho

You'd think that since EA got to do a reveal that other companies would as well. Getting sick of all this secrecy and driplets of info coming at a snails pace.

ME3 was announced at E3. They seemed to show off a bunch of games during the events in NY, Chicago, Atlanta, etc...

Are they hiding other E3 games, too? Or just the unannounced ones?

New interview with Ubisoft on ZombiU for nintendo-gamer.net:

http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/07/25/interview-ubisoft-reveals-more-info-on-zombiu/

Of all the games heading to Wii U during the launch window, ZombiU is possibly the one we&#8217;re most eagerly anticipating. A Wii U exclusive FPS set in London during a zombie invasion, developed by the team behind Rayman Origins and Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter? Count us in.

To find out a little more about the game, we got hold of the game&#8217;s Producer Guillaume Brunier and its Senior Script Writer Gabrielle Shrager, and grilled them with some of the toughest questions we could think of. Then we realised those questions were nothing to do with ZombiU so we sent them some easier ones about that instead.

NINTENDO GAMER: ZombiU has clearly changed a lot since its original inception as Killer Freaks From Outer Space. Why was the decision made to make the change from small killer creatures to zombies?

UBISOFT: As we developed Killer Freaks from Outer Space, the deeper we got into creating features specifically designed to make the most of the Wii U, the more we realized how perfect the Survival Horror genre is for the console. Then we just got more and more excited as the game concept grew almost organically. The shift in creative vision gave us the opportunity to deliver a game that would include both the gameplay features and compelling story elements we think gamers will be thrilled by on Wii U.

NG: Based on the original details for Killer Freaks, it seems that it was originally going to take place in various locations around the world. Was the decision to focus mainly on London a case of quality over quantity?

UBI: Killer Freaks was much more of an arcade-style FPS, so its was natural to propose several settings. So yes, in a way, to build a Survival Horror game that offers a credible experience of surviving a zombie apocalypse one immersive setting is more appropriate.

Also, we love London. The biggest banking metropolitan in the world is a city of many contrasts, where medieval meets modernity in terms of both architecture and tradition. There&#8217;s lots of opportunity for cool backstory and rich environments. A zombie game is an great opportunity to draw people deeper into this utterly fascinating city, a city steeped in bloody tales and grisly history.

We&#8217;re working with Antony Johnston on the script, acclaimed British comics book author and writer of Dead Space and Dead Space Extraction among other great games to help us get the most out of this tremendous setting and its unique characters.

chris3116

By the way, in between moaning about PS All Stars yesterday, Hideki Kamiya (Platinum Games) said that he wanted to make more games for Wii U.

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/232201796548980737

He wants to do the Star Fox game. I would not be surprised to see Platinum games being a good supporter to the Wii U.

Sammy Samusu said:

I can see a Dragon Dogma port and maybe a Mega Man game (I hope) but a RE6 is also possible.

DynamicG

Nah. Work with them, even invest in them, but buying them would result in a talent drain- including Kamiya, I'd guess.

Partnerships are the wave of the future for Nintendo.

Kamiya doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would want them to buyout the whole company. He seems to like freedom and space.

Also, working with companies rather than buying them seems to be Nintendo's new MO anyway.

Still kinda wondering how this NDA thing is working. EA got to display and announce their Wii-U games last week. Does this mean each third party has their own version of the NDA? Is Nintendo controlling when each company gets to reveal their games? I've never heard of anything like this before.

As we know from history Activision drags it's feet when announcing Nintendo stuff especially Call of Duty games....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom