• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PC: Both GFWL...and Steamworks/key?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my dream world, they would release a dedicated server component that anyone could run. It would probably be a horrible idea because it would shatter the community into a bunch of small sub-communities but I still would selfishly love to see, say, a NeoGAF Dark Souls server, so things like hacking could be policed. Obviously, that would never happen in a million years but I still think it's an interesting idea.

In my dream world, they would release a dedicated server component that anyone could run. It would probably be a horrible idea because it would shatter the community into a bunch of small sub-communities but I still would selfishly love to see, say, a NeoGAF Dark Souls server, so things like hacking could be policed. Obviously, that would never happen in a million years but I still think it's an interesting idea.

Actually, it can happen. If people figured out IWnet, WoW and other type of server emulators I don't see why this one wouldn't work, remember that the game is P2P, I think it can work using a modified live dll and tungle, or something to emulate a LAN.

The idea will be pretty awesome!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Cannot believe I'll actually have to wait till other people buy this to see what the hell is up with the framerate problem. From Software, not good with computer.

tokkun

Yea, but once the PS3 got hacked and started getting CFW's and stuff, there were people that were able to save edit and cheat. It wasn't as widespread as the 360 though.

Not sure I ever encountered it with 200 hours on the PS3 version including a lot of PvP. Encountered dragon head glitchers frequently, though.

chiablo

I suspect that some clever bastard will eventually set up a custom dedicated server and do all kinds of crazyness. Just look at what has happened with the multiplayer mod of Just Cause 2, and that game wasn't even designed to do multiplayer.

Akkad

Banned
I got this for $28.50 from GMG, so I'm not gonna be that sad if there are technical problems. Besides I have already beaten the PS3 version when it came out.

Teknoman

A GAF Dark Souls server would actually be pretty cool.

Zzoram

Does getting it from GMG give you a Steam code if you're from Canada? How do you get the GMG discount coupons?

Bulk_Rate

So regarding the default PC control layout, it seems to me that slow walking while holding up one's shield (ctrl and shift) while strafing, etc. will require some fingertastic gymnastics. I have a wired 360 controller so no worries here, but considering how much of the game is spent carefully slow walking with one's shield up, I wonder what a better layout might look like?

I have 100 hours on the 360 and 50 on PS3 versions. Can't wait to help the PC noobs. That is unless the community is primarily made up of double-dippers.

Kade

I will be the first one in line to have a litter.

Seriously reading threads about this game's PC release I've definitely noticed a few people who seem to think they are getting into an Elder Scrolls-like experience. Gameplay-affecting mods would totally defeat the purpose even if they weren't used to cheat or grief people online (and they will, if it can happen on Xbox it can definitely happen here).

Even if you just played offline in your own little sandbox...you're missing a big part of the game. I don't personally do this but I can kind of understand why someone would play Skyrim and mod his character to have the Badass Looking Armor of Invincibility with a flaming sword that instakills everything right from the get go. Make your own fun, and all that. But to me the Souls games are not an individual experience both inside and out. I don't want to go into a thread, see someone relating his personal horror story of curse frogs in the depths, and then see people say 'oh just download xX420sniperXx's no cursefrog mod, it totally improves the game'. Obviously a silly example but it's just my line of thinking. Even if there were mods in the vein of super-hard romhacks I still don't think it'd be worth giving up the online functionality unless they got popular enough to develop their own community following.

But whatever, enough speculation. Who knows what'll happen, maybe the port will be so bad that we'll need mods to save us, or maybe there will be rigid anti-cheat measures that somehow weren't in place in the console versions.

Most people who use mods don't use difficulty modification mods like what you describe in your post. Usually, people want texture/graphics mods or UI mods. Personally, I dislike the fact that you have to go through a catch-all menu to access inventory, stats and skills/abilities and would rather have hotkeys like I for Inventory, K for Skills/Abilities and so on and so forth. It sucks that difficulty modification mods exist but that's a sad reality of modding. I think most people realize -- especially with the Souls games -- that 99.9% of the time, enemy placements and stats are deliberate and changing them goes against what the designers and world builders intended. There are good difficulty mods though, for example, J.E. Sawyer's mod for Fallout: New Vegas which basically acts as the game's "EXTREMELY DIFFICULT NG+++" difficulty and dramatically alters the way you approach most situations.

Sentenza

And just to not discontinue their great marketing effort so far, remembering how mystery is part of the charm, the game will run in some laptop put in stand-by in a corner and you will have to stumble on it by chances.

Sullichin

I'm confused...did the manual go back to what the story was before the game came out?

"You are thrown into a world of darkness, a world of demons. It’s a
place where humans with the Dark Ring are sent to succumb and
transform into the living dead. You are soulless at the beginning
of the adventure, and in order to regain your soul, you must
emerge from the abyss to reach the land of the living. "

Isn't this the Darksign in the final build of the game?

Yeah the manual has outdated information that's also in the console versions. The steam site for the game also has tons of wrong/misspelled information ("White King Gwen", "First dead Nit"); the same information has been on the prepare to die website since before the game came out.

NBtoaster

Yea, but once the PS3 got hacked and started getting CFW's and stuff, there were people that were able to save edit and cheat. It wasn't as widespread as the 360 though.

Doesn't really matter because they'd have difficulty getting on PSN.

ctrayne

I'm in this for full price - I want the boxed version with the goodies - so I hope it's playable.

I think it will be.

Tain

Is the online even a super-important component?

Honestly, no, I don't think it is.

Co-op trivializes the toughest moments the game has to offer, and the hints may or may not improve the game for you, but I enjoyed the game more when I wasn't getting many of them at all.

I never got into the PVP, but I guess it might be better on PC.

I would say it's an important component but not crucial. The online components are very unique to these games. Just seeing other players phantoms floating around lets you know that you're not alone in the bleak world.

anddo0

I don't really care about the co-op or PvP but I wouldn't want to play this game without the silly messages people leave all over the place. Bloodstains are awesome too.

Damn. I came here to post this.

I don't care for co-op/pvp either. I like seeing peoples ghosts, bloodstains etc... The unique use of the signs to guide you through one particular section of the game. It's part of the games charm.

kodt

Banned

Yes it is.

You can play the entire game single player. Opting not to co-op any bosses, as you can often summon NPCs to help you in certain fights.

But the messages people leave, watching the deaths of others through bloodstains, and getting invaded are big parts of the game IMO. Nothing more intense than getting invaded and defending yourself.

As I've said before, I am really interested to know how the online/offline aspect will be handled. I like playing by myself but I would want to play online too once I am more confident with my character.

The online/offline profiles and the mysterious way GFWL manages to handle them, makes me wonder if I'll have to make a choice after installation to play either online or offline, and not be able to change my choice afterwards.

Sullichin

As I've said before, I am really interested to know how the online/offline aspect will be handled. I like playing by myself but I would want to play online too once I am more confident with my character.

The online/offline profiles and the mysterious way GFWL manages to handle them, makes me wonder if I'll have to make a choice after installation to play either online or offline, and not be able to change my choice afterwards.

Even if you're stuck playing in online mode for whatever reason, you can only be invaded by someone else if you are in human form, which is optional and a conscious decision of the player. It's not difficult at all to play the game 'online' and avoid invasions.

Also, the worst thing that happens if you get invaded is that you'll die. You'll die a million times playing this game. Who cares?

Seriously reading threads about this game's PC release I've definitely noticed a few people who seem to think they are getting into an Elder Scrolls-like experience. Gameplay-affecting mods would totally defeat the purpose even if they weren't used to cheat or grief people online (and they will, if it can happen on Xbox it can definitely happen here).

Even if you just played offline in your own little sandbox...you're missing a big part of the game. I don't personally do this but I can kind of understand why someone would play Skyrim and mod his character to have the Badass Looking Armor of Invincibility with a flaming sword that instakills everything right from the get go. Make your own fun, and all that. But to me the Souls games are not an individual experience both inside and out. I don't want to go into a thread, see someone relating his personal horror story of curse frogs in the depths, and then see people say 'oh just download xX420sniperXx's no cursefrog mod, it totally improves the game'. Obviously a silly example but it's just my line of thinking. Even if there were mods in the vein of super-hard romhacks I still don't think it'd be worth giving up the online functionality unless they got popular enough to develop their own community following.

But whatever, enough speculation. Who knows what'll happen, maybe the port will be so bad that we'll need mods to save us, or maybe there will be rigid anti-cheat measures that somehow weren't in place in the console versions.

sorry, but all I'm getting from this is that you think you're the arbiter of fun. personally I've never used mods which make games easier, but I also don't have my head so far up my posterior that I believe that I have the right to tell other people how to enjoy their games.

chiablo

Anyone know if we're still forced to use the limited list of options when leaving messages? Or because we have a keyboard, can we actually type what we want?

GooeyHeat

Anyone know if we're still forced to use the limited list of options when leaving messages? Or because we have a keyboard, can we actually type what we want?
I don't think that the chat choices were limited because of the controller. I think they just didn't want people saying "smoke weed everyday" all the time. Therefore, we'll probably still be limited.

chiablo

I don't think that the chat choices were limited because of the controller. I think they just didn't want people saying "smoke weed everyday" all the time. Therefore, we'll probably still be limited.

But what if the solution really is to smoke weed every day? Now we'll never beat Dark Souls!

gdt

I love getting invaded. Its not like you lose anything.

So tense when in a new area, not knowing wtf is going on, barely making it, and you get invaded.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

You tense up, look around, heal up. Stand your ground.

He/she appears. You stare at each other for a bit.

Then you battle.

Klyka

Banned
I love getting invaded. Its not like you lose anything.

So tense when in a new area, not knowing wtf is going on, barely making it, and you get invaded.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

You tense up, look around, heal up. Stand your ground.

He/she appears. You stare at each other for a bit.

Then he teleports behind you and backstabs you.

You are dead.

fixed

ArjanN

It also works across different languages that way.

Deadstar

Honestly, no, I don't think it is.

Co-op trivializes the toughest moments the game has to offer, and the hints may or may not improve the game for you, but I enjoyed the game more when I wasn't getting many of them at all.

I never got into the PVP, but I guess it might be better on PC.

I always laugh when i see a "Try Jumping Off" next to a pit where I know falling in means instant death.

Deadbeat

Banned
sorry, but all I'm getting from this is that you think you're the arbiter of fun. personally I've never used mods which make games easier, but I also don't have my head so far up my posterior that I believe that I have the right to tell other people how to enjoy their games.
BUT YOU CANT PLAY THE GAME YOUR WAY IT MUST BE PLAYED MY WAY

I never understood the mentality of people being angry that someone is playing something diffferently from them and is ruining the "purity" of the game or some other pretentious bullshit. Not all mods are like that. Infact most mods are usually bugfixes or polished mechanics.

For example, I just got fallout 3 and guess what mods im using? GFWL removal and unofficial patch mod. Do they alter the game's mechanics in terms of balance? No. Does it make the game not crash and glitch up? Yes. Thats the whole point with mods is they can clean up stupid problems in games. Skyrim UI mods are a godsend and anyone feeling that it ruins the purity of the game is an idiot.

To me, the only people that get angry about modding and it ruining games are people that have little experience playing games on PC.

edit: and people saying modding is going to make cheatin rampant on PC well I guess you havent seen the 360 version in action.

I disagree. Dark Soul is a great game. I played it for over 80 hours and loved it but there is absolutely room for mods and improvements without ruining the intergrity of the experience. I personally am really looking forward to mods and hoping they can be done. I dont want some infinite health mod or even anything that changes the difficulty balance but there is ALOT of stuff you can do that doesnt fit into those k ds of simple cheat categories. I also dont see a problem with allowing people training wheels a bit if that is what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom