• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #104 - "Compensate"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme - "Compensate"

Word Limit: 2750

Submission Deadline: Friday, August 24th, 2012 by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, August 11th 2012, and goes until Monday, August 27th 2012 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Lifestyle Interrupted

Force your protagonist into an unfamiliar situation before the story starts. Make sure they haven’t finished coping with it. Perhaps they haven’t started coping with it either…

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Mike Works: Congrats on the win. I didn't get to finish critiquing yours but I read over some of the other critiques and I agree that it was a bit too slow.

Thanks everyone for the critiques. I'll try not to put a twist at the end this time.

Aaron

Votes / Comments:

1- Tangent - Sad little story, but almost overwhelmed by the flood of details about kid life. They should be adding color to the story instead of dominating it.

2- Cyan - In a story with so much talking, the lack of visual detail makes it hard for me to follow. It comes off a little too abstract, and doesn't fit neatly in my head.

3- Ward - Strong idea, but too unfocused. It needs a revision to focus on the narrative.

Tangent

It feels ridiculous to vote on these three great entries. I feel like I'm tossing them up and just seeing where they land.

Votes:
1. Ward
2. Cyan
3. Aaron

Crits:
Ward - Sinister Sun: I liked the choice of 1st person, very appropriate the story. It might just be my style, but I would have liked a bit of dialog to break up the description. Really creative idea.

Aaron - The Plague of 306B: Great opening and really good mix of dialog and narration. There were times in the middle that I felt like there was too much detail and it took away from moving the plot forward, but then everything picked up again in the last third.

Cyan - The Elysium Society: I liked the story and the fast pace, and the dry humor. Interesting use of very short paragraphs. I can't say yet whether I liked or disliked them. Somehow, I felt that the 1st half of the story was stronger than the second in an engaging style with an appropriate amount of detail. Detail seemed to lack a bit later on, but on the other hand, maybe that's oK since you set the stage well.

Votes:

1. Tangent - "Nodobi Nits to No"
2. Cyan - "The Elysium Society"
3. Aaron - "The Plague of 306B"

I've written up critiques for all of the stories and I'll get them typed up within the next day or so.

Cyan

Banned
1. Tangent - "Nodobi Nits to No" - Oh man, the bit at the end where the secret is discovered just made me shudder. Great job on pulling me in. The ending felt a bit... lacking. Like, it didn't feel like the story had properly ended; I kept trying to hit the "next page" button thinking I'd missed something.

2. Aaron - "The Plague of 306B" - I enjoyed the solidity of the setting and the strong dialogue. Ironically, given my own use of them, I was kind of put off by the asshole protagonist.

3. Ward - "Sinister Sun" - Interesting setting, and well-established at the beginning. It felt a little vague at times, in the sense that I wasn't entirely sure what he was trying to do and where he was going.

ZeroRay

Votes:

1. Tangent - Good ending. Though as Aaron pointed out, less extraneous details, a little more focus on the characters.

2. Cyan - Humorous story, really liked the bit with the "crazy hair guy". The beginning kind of felt like a bunch of independent ideas jury-rigged into one narrative. Though I may be thinking that because of the story I'm writing :p.

3. Aaron - Nice little slice of life, with some entertaining use of language. Lacked that certain punch, which may have been the point.

HM - Ward - Liked the intro and the world building. Ending felt abrupt. Would be a good opener for a longer story.

Ward: Beware of familiar pitfalls with the first person POV! There’s far too much “I do this” and “I do that” in your story. By writing in this style, you’re actually distancing the reader from your narrator/protagonist; it feels less intimate. Like a robot narrating what it’s doing. Instead of saying “I pick up the cup”, say something like “The cup’s chipped handle rubs against an old blister on my palm.” There are a million ways you can get away from the “I do this” narration.

As for the story itself, I felt like it took too long to actually get going. It needs more action, as there’s far too much exposition in the first few pages, and every time there’s a line of action, the story falls back into exposition. I’d suggest re-reading Tangent’s piece to show how much action you can have, and how brisk it makes the reading experience. Lastly, the narration/POV gets broken when the narrator starts asking if we (the reader) “remember that scientist?” The tense collapses too, as it goes from present tense in the past, then past tense in the present. In terms of plot and character, I’d say that the ending felt unearned… it’s not that there isn’t the potential for power behind that ending, but I didn’t really feel on board with the scientist really losing himself. Definitely a first draft, but not without potential.

Aaron: I’m a little confused as to what the protagonist’s motives are (and perhaps I misinterpreted)… why would he want to move in with an unattractive manipulator? I liked the idea behind the theme, but that one piece of motivational confusion stuck with me. I also made a note that, halfway through the story, I had no idea what the plot or story was. In terms of technical stuff, I noticed that a few too many dialogue tags spun out into longer sentences; not necessarily wrong, but perhaps overused. Going back to theme, I thought that everything in the first half of the story is largely just action with little touching on the theme, and then suddenly a switch is turned on and everything theme and tonal-related comes exploding out from the protagonist. Perhaps this was because the story was approaching the word count limit and you wanted to make sure it got out there? Regardless, I felt it could have been parceled out more evenly. I think the story could use a little more action that could relate to the protagonist’s feelings and the theme… perhaps a short scene where he’s alone or with someone else?

Cyan: Near the beginning of your story, the narrator describes 3 stories where he’s been late for something. The first is a big sporting moment, the second is a first date, and the third is an engagement party. I know this might be a little OCD with rules of three, but it irked me that the latter two were about personal, relationship moments, and the first was just about baseball. Not that baseball can’t mean a lot to some people, but there’s almost a thread between the three, and I think it could benefit from that. In terms of the casual narration, there were a few too many “like’s” and “well’s” and “yeah’s”… but they work when used sparsely.

The sentence “The people were gone” made me say, “Yes!” out loud in a coffee shop. Always a good litmus test when judging a moment in a story. That said, I’d caution against over-using the one sentence paragraph as well.

As for the story, I loved the premise for the most part. I was totally sold on in about two thirds through the story; the idea of an absurd cultist who’s missed out on such a monumental moment that actually surprisingly happened, and being forced to cope with it is an awesome idea. Unfortunately, the ending almost risks wiping out the entire story (is this all a big lie that the narrator made up to get out of jail… also why is he in court in the first place?); it makes us ask questions that detract from the potential focus the story spends so long setting up. It almost makes it feel trivial. My opinion/advice: the heart of the story is in a crazy space-cultist having to cope in the ‘real world’ with having missed the once in a lifetime spaceship. What mindset would he be in? What are the ramifications?

Tangent: You know Tangent, I don’t often vote for your stories nearly as highly as others generally do in these threads, but I have to admit that you’re nicely consistent with your stories in that they, at the very least, are technically sound and strong. You got my first place vote for this competition primarily because you had an idea for a story that you set out on, you structured it so it would flow nicely, you focused more on showing rather than telling, and you largely accomplished those tasks.

That’s not to say it can’t be improved of course! I’d start off with changing the title; it risks spoiling the revelation and it sounds really cheesy. Personal opinion. Additionally, I kind of questioned the vocabulary this younger girl who can’t read possesses. It fits for the most part, but there are times when her vocab sounds too eloquent or older, and times when it sounds like a different person completely. I also wasn’t quite sure how none of her teachers never noticed that she couldn’t read. I’m not quite sure if that’s something she could realistically hide this far into school.

That said, it’s the ending that needs the most attention. It’s far too abrupt and doesn’t really say or conclude anything. We know that illiteracy is an issue and can be a real burden, and it’s interesting seeing that from a child’s POV, but what is it you want to really break open in the climax? What does your protagonist want to say (aside from “I hate school”)?

Anyway, this is probably going to be my last critique/entry for a while; school starts next week and I’ll have my hands full writing new stories and critiquing vampire lit fic (just joking, hopefully). Keep writing dudes and keep up the good work!

Aaron

Thanks for all the comments on my story, particularly Mister Works. When I finished writing it I knew there were a few things off about it, but I couldn't nail down what. The comments have helped me see it in a new light.

Ward

Tangent- Nobody Needs to Know

I'd like a clue as to the gender of Zora. It's not apparent to me and I consider it an unusual name compared to the rest of your characters. The kids speak at a much higher level than I anticipate based on their actions.

A little too exact, as I type on my Lenovo brand mouse in Microsoft Word 2011. I wouldn't expect kids to care about brands and model numbers.

I like the logic of if the teacher likes me, she'll think I'm a good student. It fits the age.

Ok, maybe there is more to this disconnect of perceived age and character. I am now motivated to discover the truth. I don't know.
Great job of creating the character and capturing those kid moments, but the character is still a bit of an enigma. The kid seems knowledgeable and well spoken, more so than I'd think based on circumstances.

Ended too quickly.

Aaron
Great start, great characterization. I really enjoyed the writing and the character you created. I was expecting more from the ending. I'm not sure it's even what was said, but how. Changing one sentence or adding one might make all the difference.

Cyan
Great start, though I'd have liked a Gibson walk off home run or a Carter walk off. I don't think Johnston exists, though I could be wrong.
Really enjoying everything. Your insight in this piece is great. Great references, Battle of LA.
Great ending.

1 Cyan
2 Aaron
3 Tangent

Thanks for all the crits, though I really felt out of my league with the other entries.

Great stories all around, but it was a surprisingly low turn-out this challenge.
Perhaps a half week-week break might be in order to recharge everyone's batteries before starting the next challenge?

Cyan

Banned
Thanks for the crits! Mike, I really appreciate your in-depth efforts, and it's actually quite helpful. I'll be sorry to see you drop away again.

I think we can all guess who won, but I'll put up the official count in a minute.

Squiddy- not to worry, everyone who didn't write this time around just got two weeks off! ;)

Tangent

Hey guys, thanks for all the crits! From what I got out of your guys' comments: too much detail, corny title (highly agreed), vocab might be inapprop for Zora's age (who was a girl), fleeting ending, and less character development. But keep with story structure.

All good things to keep in mind. I might keep some of this in mind when thinking of a new challenge.

Also, I haven't given too much thought about characters' names and their significance. I chose Zora because I met a little girl named Zora who was pretty cool and it seemed fitting to me. It's good to remember that names can say much more about one's personality, etc.

New challenge coming soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom