• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil HD |OT|

slit

I just finished the HD version on PS3. I never played it before and I really liked the game, however, it was a bit short and the difficulty was a bit on the easy side. I did love the world that was created here though and the game mechanics were great. I hope they expand upon it in the sequel. I also thought it sucked that it doesn't give you a chance to go back and collect the rest of the pearls, unless there is a way and I'm not seeing it, but that's just minor.

Spoiler:
What was up with the evil emblem appearing on Pey'j's hoof at the end after the credits? Is that where they're going with the sequel? I admit I haven't been keeping up with it's development. Anyone know? I know there hasn't been much said about BG&E 2.

DonMigs85

slit said:
I just finished the HD version on PS3. I never played it before and I really liked the game, however, it was a bit short and the difficulty was a bit on the easy side. I did love the world that was created here though and the game mechanics were great. I hope they expand upon it in the sequel. I also thought it sucked that it doesn't give you a chance to go back and collect the rest of the pearls, unless there is a way and I'm not seeing it, but that's just minor.

Spoiler:
What was up with the evil emblem appearing on Pey'j's hoof at the end after the credits? Is that where they're going with the sequel? I admit I haven't been keeping up with it's development. Anyone know? I know there hasn't been much said about BG&E 2.
not an emblem, I think it's a DomZ spore infection or something.

slit

DonMigs85 said:
not an emblem, I think it's a DomZ spore infection or something.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't really an emblem. I was using the wrong word but you know what I mean.

Dunno, I think the name fits fine. Some things once you investigate are beyond the realms of simple concepts like good and evil.

Did anyone notice a glitch when you reach the factory? Once the vehicle docks it doesn't lets Jade/Pey'J out... and you can't take off. So fricking annoying.

Leanotsoynus said:
I just started gaming 3 or 4 years ago, before i did not care much. I played soms games, but was nog completely into gaming.

I knew this game was a good game, so when it came as a downloadable title i could not wait to play it.

I live in Holland and most of the times voice overs on games are just a waste of time. Luckily all the movies (except child movies) are with subtitles.

But this game was completely done in voiceover.

I did not even finished the intro movie, i was so disappointed..
1) VAing is superb.
2) You're missing out on a fantastic game due to a minor thing.

Leanotsoynus said:
I just started gaming 3 or 4 years ago, before i did not care much. I played some games, but was not completely into gaming.

I knew this game was a good game, so when it came as a downloadable title i could not wait to play it.

I live in Holland and most of the times voice overs on games are just a waste of time. Luckily all the movies /series and other media (except child movies) are with subtitles.

But this game was completely done in voiceover.

I did not even finished the intro, i was so disappointed..
Am I missing something? I played the XBLA version of Beyond Good & Evil in Holland with a English voiceover. Maybe it is because I have my system setting in English.

TripOpt55

Just finished replaying this via the PS3 HD version. Such a fun game. I really love the world and characters. The photo taking mechanic is great. The game camera does get kind of messy. Particularly during stealth and hovercraft sequences in tight spaces. Otherwise, it seemed like a nice version of the game and a good deal at $10 for people who missed it. I managed to get all the trophies too. Seems pretty easy. They actually leave some room for error with things like the pearls and the animals. I know I missed a few of each. I may go back for them. A couple I couldn't figure out on this time through. I hope we do get that sequel one day!

besiktas1

Where is the third picture in the slaughter house
? I've got the sarcophogi and trafficking one... Where's the third
?

What's funny is I remember I had the exact same problem the first time I played it through on the xbox

LTTP again but basically i just tried the PS3 version of this and i remember now that i never really finished this game back on PS2...

i would like to give it a shot again, but now my question is this:

I can get this on Steam for 5 bucks... is that JUST as good as this "HD" version then or are there other reasons to grab this instead? is the PC one a bad port or has no controller support etc. things i should know?

Emitan

besiktas1 said:
Where is the third picture in the slaughter house
? I've got the sarcophogi and trafficking one... Where's the third
?

What's funny is I remember I had the exact same problem the first time I played it through on the xbox
If it's the one I'm thinking of (and considering one of these is a total bitch to get and you'd never figure it out on your own) you have to
ride that big gate up to get to an upper level

Winnie the Pimp said:
LTTP again but basically i just tried the PS3 version of this and i remember now that i never really finished this game back on PS2...

I can get this on Steam for 5 bucks... is that JUST as good as this "HD" version then or are there other reasons to grab this instead? is the PC one a bad port or has no controller support etc. things i should know?
This is the definitive version. PC version looks better, but runs into issues on most modern systems, so you're much better off getting the XBLA/PSN version. I haven't played the PSN version, but the XBLA version is fine.

Get it on PS3/360 over PC. The PC version has garbage controller support, if I recall.

Plus, I think they may have cleaned up the graphics a bit for HD (textures, etc.), though it's probably negligible.

Winnie the Pimp said:

It's about the same as the PC version, but the PC version doesn't have widescreen. In fact it's 4:3 letterboxed, so if you have a widescreen monitor, you're gonna be playing in a small little window in the center of your screen surrounded by black bars. And there are no fixes for it.

Winnie the Pimp said:

The PC version needs quite a bit of work to get it to run on modern systems. At least, that's what I remember when I tried to play it a couple of years ago. Spent a lot of time googling how to solve the various issues that crept up. If you must play it on PC, get the gog.com version as I believe they have tried to integrate some of the external fixes into the game client.

It would just be easier to play the console version though. That's what I'd do given the choice.

I've bought this game on XBLA for only 240 MS points and i noticed no sound from my rear speakers (Dolby Digital 5.1).
I also played the PS3 demo and this one have surround! WTF? Anyone else noticed this?

Montresor

Just starting this game! I already know about the point of no return as I played this on Gamecube a long long time ago.

Well fast forward today and I'm into achievements. =D I'd like to know if as long as I don't cross the point of no return, that there are no missable achievements. Can I just play the game care-free minding my own business and never have to worry about missable achievements?

Just starting this game! I already know about the point of no return as I played this on Gamecube a long long time ago.

Well fast forward today and I'm into achievements. =D I'd like to know if as long as I don't cross the point of no return, that there are no missable achievements. Can I just play the game care-free minding my own business and never have to worry about missable achievements?

No missable achievements before the point of no return. You can take your time, do whatever you want and get them all. You may have to go back to areas if you miss some animals or heart pieces but nothing you can miss. Should have 10 of the 12 achievements before the point of no return.

SykoTech

Yes. All the things tied to achievements/trophies can be done whenever you want as long as you don't cross "that" line.

Kujo

Halp. I think I just found a missable animal. Timorea Saponifera - the bubble creature at the Trolley Entrance (Slaughterhouse). Only one I'm missing and the way back to it seems blocked by red lasers. Any way to get back to the Trolley Entrance after beating it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
aehoZ.jpg

I think this is a game that is like, quintessentially more than the sum of its parts. I can point out a hundred things wrong with the game, but for each of them I feel like it's counteracted by just... the overwhelming impression that the game leaves on you. The last game that made me feel this way was Actraiser, which is actually one of my favourite games of all time.

The strongest thing about the game is just how much thought went into the game world. Hillys is small and there isn't very much in it--actually, it's almost comically tiny in scope--but everything in it was thought through so well. Every character feels like they've been individually placed and given life and a daily routine. Pey'J, Jade, and Double-H are so well characterized, but so is everyone else--I especially loved the Rasta Rhinos at Mammago garage. There's a strong sense in each and every character interaction that these people are part of a shared world that existed long before the game started. There are only 3 dungeons, but each has a very strong sense of purpose and layout and central mechanics. The only real item upgrades you get serve very obvious purposes. It's a breathtaking economy for a game.

Even something like the spiral keyboard interface is basically totally irrelevant--there's no reason why you couldn't just push a button once you got the access code instead of entering a password... but it was so well thought out. There's basically no chance your team members will die, and yet the game has a unique, never-before-seen mechanic where you can basically change your health allocation between Jade and the sidekicks. Every time the game introduces a new idea, it works, and in most cases, it's never been done before.

One thing I wanted to note is that I love the way the game de-activates the combat mechanics in every area where they're not needed. It gives the strong impression that combat is a secondary part of the game rather than primary, which is very refreshing in comparison to most games.

In contrast to many others, I don't think the game needs a sequel. I mean, if someone were to do a newer game with the same driving philosophies as Beyond Good & Evil, that would be great, but I think the game stands very well as a self-contained work. We know the recent history of Hillys, the players in this urgent moment of the planet's history, and the antagonists. That the DomZ are not fully defeated or that the Jade / Shauni plot is not fully expanded on is kind of irrelevant. I feel like the game stands on its own like A New Hope does. Vader didn't die and the Empire didn't collapse, but the good guys get a big win and we're left like we had a glimpse into such a pivotal moment in the struggle. The Pey'J cutscene at the end of the credits is an unfortunate tease, but that can easily be set aside.

Really wonderful game and well deserving of its place in the canon of great games. It'd definitely make my Top 100.

Just fired up the HD edition again after falling off the wagon a bit after release.

What strikes me most about this game is, despite how simplistic the stealth mechanics are, how really effective they are. It reminds me a bit of Dishonored in terms of the scenario designs really being thought out well in terms of the mechanics, so that the majority of players will be able to complete them without a huge amount of frustration.

The whole game is just a great example of simplicity making an experience better through layering complexity in the game's overall structure, and I think a lot of current/next gen devs should take a lesson from it.

Love it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Necro bump-

Just started playing this on my PS3. This game is supposed to support 5.1 surround, right? I tried both dolby digital and DTS settings, and it's only outputting in stereo. I loaded up a few other games to make sure it wasn't my stereo, and they are outputting 5.1 just fine.

Am I missing something?

Top Bottom