• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Holy shit I laughed so hard at this. And then I remembered you renamed Rosa to Beer and then I laughed again BECAUSE IT'S TRUE.
Well, if we changed the name of Rose Beer to Rosa Beer, we could kill two birds with one stone. :lol

You forgot the most important character.

xaDQW.png

Edit:
CAtXz.gif
Blinded by Light

Lightning Returns... as a random encounter.

I don't know the strategy against her...
Heropon, how could you do this? D:

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they try to shoehorn Lightning into being an optional boss encounter/superboss in future games or ports/remakes, though.

Ohhh, I'll try to be serious about this. Lightning has four different modes: Healer Mode. Blaster Mode. Attacker Mode. Angry Mode. Lightning has about 13300 HP.

She will activate Healer Mode when she gets down to 13200 HP, 13100 HP, 10000 HP, 6000 HP, and 1000 HP. She'll cast Cure 1 and Cure 2 on herself, but since Batman's pretty powerful right now we can make her healing count for nothing (this can also be done through Virus's Sap effect). We can also cast Slow and Mute on her to try to stop her from healing herself.

She will typically alter between Blaster Mode and Attacker Mode. Blaster Mode allows her to cast wind and lit spells (ranging from Tornado to Lit 1/2/3) against one or all of your party members, meaning that Jam should probably try to heal (and maybe wake Abe up from his slumber to help out). Again, try to use Mute and Slow on her, and maybe cast Wall on one of your party members to reflect damage back at her. Shockingly, she has little immunity against these sorts of attacks.

Attacker Mode is basically her using physical attacks against one member of your party for at least 100 damage, so keep on your toes. She'll use a non-elemental magic-based attack on your party, but again, reflect works. Let us bear in mind that there is no Bravery or Faith in this version of the game, so this fight's going to be a little tougher. Use Blink on your squishies to reduce how many times they take damage.

After you attack her maybe 13 times, she'll shift into Angry Mode. She also permanently goes into this after you get her down to under 1000 HP. It is here when she'll use Slap which will hit you for 200-300 damage depending on your equipment, Angry Response to lower your defense and possibly place a curse on you, and Another Sequel to cast Berserk, Sap, and strike you with Lit-2.

When you finally defeat her, she will try to hit you with a last attempt at revenge in Army of One, which will hit your party for 300 HP a piece. Heal up before you defeat her because she doesn't want to go down easily!

Heropon

Heropon, how could you do this? D:

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they try to shoehorn Lightning into being an optional boss encounter/superboss in future games or ports/remakes, though.

***Detailed and magnificent strategy***

Bravo.

When it comes to appearances in games, Lightning is a ravenous blood-sucking monster always wanting more, more, MORE! And if you give them to her, you'll get plenty back in return.

CorvoSol

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANYWAY.

I just did the Opera in FF6a and I gotta say, I don't see what the fuss about the GBA version's music quality is. My skin still got all tingly playing that part. FF6 really is such a crazy, experimental, showing-off game that it's no wonder it blew my mind as a kid. Also, Terra remembered her mommy and daddy making her. WRAP YOUR BRAINS IN THAT. Oh, and Locke believes Kefka over Celes. He's gonna make a GREAT boyfriend. Rachel didn't fall, honey, she jumped to get out of that relationship.

And what's up with NPCs in FF games ALWAYS being dicks about dead lovers? Like in TAY there's this old lady who says to Edward "I'm sure if Anna had lived she'd have given you a lovely boy by now!" WHAT. THE. HELL. Gee, thanks granny, for reminding me of the fact that, if the love of my life had survived the horrific bombings which also killed my parents and civilians, bombings for which I shall never have closure as the men who committed them and the man who ordered them were all forced into it and the mastermind behind it all has floated beyond mortal reach, had said bombings never happened, my blushing bride would have given me a happy family!

Then you get to Kohlingen and somebody goes "Oh, Locke, the last thing Rachel said was "Tell Locke I love him very much!" She loved you so much, if only she were still here!"

JERKS.

Oh, and my bro likes to refer to the make-out scenes in FF games as "Star-Kissing". Because when Maduin and Madeline fly around there's stars, and when Tidus and Yuna fly around, and while Squall and Rinoa are stuck on the Ragnarok.

Star-Kissing, tell your friends.

Heropon

Terra remembered her mommy and daddy making her. WRAP YOUR BRAINS IN THAT.

Pretty sure it was her father telling her about that. He had to make up for the parental abandonment and tell her the new version of the story about how children are made, that's where the stars come to place.

cullenx

Banned
This is what Square has done to me this generation:

bocWP.gif

Their only hope for redemption is Final Fantasy XII International HD for PS3/Vita

CorvoSol

Pretty sure it was her father telling her about that. He had to make up for the parental abandonment and tell her the new version of the story about how children are made, that's where the stars come to place.

Well that's a less horrific version of it.

At least Maduin had a good excuse for abandoning Terra. He was stuck in a tube not twenty miles from her her entire childhood!

YEESH fathers in FF are lame. Is Dorgan Klauser the only dad in FF who raised his son? Lightning's folks died, Vaan's an orphan, Jecht is in Spira,
Garland
wasn't exactly a father to Zidane,
Laguna left Squall in an orphanage
, no mention of Cloud's pappy, Maduin was in a tube, Kluya bit the dust before Cecil was born, Luneth was an orphan (though Topapa did raise him), Firion was an orphan and
Cid Lufaine is the worst father ever.

Oh, I got Deuce, Rem, and King up to 99 this weekend, btw. I also found out that there are SANDWORMS in the desert west of Lorica and that the Volcano east of Lorica is actually an area the player can visit.

jb1234

Well, there's always Lenna's dad...
who dies shortly after the game begins. Her mother died sometime before. My conclusion is that if you're in the running to be an FF hero, prepare for some pain.

Kokonoe

Banned
After experiencing Scarmiglione giving me "a fine death indeed!", I located Bahamut which was nearby and for the first time ever I managed to get my classes upgraded in this game. This is really cool, and Red Mage looks kinda like Alucard now.

aAlRJ.png

In other news I just found out Monk isn't low tier at all, just having a weapon equipped to Monk nerfs his power tremendously. I tested out Monk after I unequipped a weapon and immediately I did 300+ damage on an 8 hit. *edit* Landing almost 500 a hit now.

1337Sauce

So I'm about to finish Final Fantasy X, and I honestly have no clue where to continue from here, I just can't make up my mind. Not only with Final Fantasy, but with almost every RPG that intrigues me, which is almost every single one. I started off with a Nintendo 64 as a kid, and my parents pretty much kept me with Nintendo systems until the last couple years when I was able to my own systems and games. While I still managed to play some of the biggest RPGs on Nintendo systems since the N64, I missed out on a lot, and in the grand scheme of the RPG world, I've barely scratched the surface, which is definitely something that I would love to invest the time into to catch up on.

I never owned any of the playstation systems until the last year or so, so I have been working to catch up with everything that I missed over the last forever. While I have always followed every genre, I never had the opportunity to play any of these games, so alot of RPGs, even though I am aware of many of the stories, are pretty fresh to me.

So far in the Final Fantasy series I have finished 13 and 13-2, along with finishing X probably by the end of tonight. I have also played about half of 7 before, but I watched my uncle finish most of it so it's a game that I definitely want to completely finish on my own, but it isn't too high on my list since I know everything about the story.

I'm open to just about any game in any RPG series, but since this is a FF thread, I'm looking for what game I should move on to next. I have the ability to play any game, as I own most consoles that every major RPG has been released on (even back to SNES and before that), and if the cartridges are an unreasonable price, I am willing to download it digitally if it is available on a service like the Virtual Console or so on. Portability is definitely something that is a major bonus, as I will be commuting for school starting on thursday, and I have a good hour or so both to and from school to game, as well as inbetween classes every so often. However I still will be able to play console games, so anything is fine.

Oh and I forgot to mention, the preferences that I do have are definitely related to plot. I don't care about length of gameplay as much as I do characters and plot, although an RPG with satisfying battle mechanics is always definitely good with keeping me hooked.

I also just purchased 6, 7, 8, 9, and Tactics for my PSVita off of the PSN, so I'm definitely leaning towards one of those. However I do have a strong want to play IV, which I can get for the DS.

This is kind of off-topic, but I am also willing to play any other RPG if it is worth it, I pretty much just want to get in to the whole genre, and am willing to play anything regardless of difficulty. I kind of want to work from SNES/PS1 up, so things like Xenogears, Vagrant Story and so on are definitely options I am considering.

I also forgot to mention that out of every aspect of an RPG, story and characters are definitely what I look for. While good battle mechanics are great with helping me stay hooked on to a game, the thing that I value most is definitely the story aspects.

jb1234

I also just purchased 6, 7, 8, 9, and Tactics for my PSVita off of the PSN, so I'm definitely leaning towards one of those. However I do have a strong want to play IV, which I can get for the DS.

All of those games are worth playing. I would do 6 first, as it's considered a classic for a reason. 4 on the DS is a great deal of fun (and tough). I'm not sure I'd consider it the definitive version but it breathed new life into a game that I've played and beaten at least four times.

1337Sauce

All of those games are worth playing. I would do 6 first, as it's considered a classic for a reason. 4 on the DS is a great deal of fun (and tough). I'm not sure I'd consider it the definitive version but it breathed new life into a game that I've played and beaten at least four times.

I could get the PSP version (Complete I think) if that is vastly better than the DS version. I would definitely want to play the best version of the game.

So after a minor distraction with Guild Wars 2, I resumed my quest to play through all the FF fantasies, or at least so far all the FF games I owned but never played/beaten (which before this summer was FF 1, 2, 3 & 5).

FF1 was fun and was surprised how much i enjoyed it (played the FF Origins version)
I finally beat FF2 this morning. I went with the PSP version. I hated this game at first for the change in game mechanics, but near the end i kind of enjoyed it. I'm sure playing the PSP version with the less grindy requirements helped. I'm also surprised at the leap in story-telling. You can see the foundations of what was to be FFIV type stories.

And this afternoon i put a couple of hours in FF III DS. So far i'm not sure what to make of this game. At first i hated it, which seems to be an odd trend when i'm progressing through the games. Maybe it was the change in dynamics again? I don't know, things seemed a tad slow. And the starting areas kicked my ass until i raised them up a couple levels. Now i'm walking death. It seems a pretty drastic progression from one extreme to another. And I started to warm up to it because of the Job system. Man i love the job system. What's bugging me now is all the dungeons feel incredibly bite sized and simple. This has to be a product of the remake right? There's not a lot of movement between screen loading, and most dungeons and hell even the world map seem much smaller than FF 1 & 2.

Beth Cyra

I could get the PSP version (Complete I think) if that is vastly better than the DS version. I would definitely want to play the best version of the game.

While some prefer the 2D of Complete to the 3D of IV DS I firmly believe that 4 DS is a better game.

I would always recommend IV DS over Comp unless you really want to play the shitty After Years.

While some prefer the 2D of Complete to the 3D of IV DS I firmly believe that 4 DS is a better game.

I would always recommend IV DS over Comp unless you really want to play the shitty After Years.

After seeing the FFiV Complete on the Vita screen, it's hard for me to go back to the DS version. It looks really really good. And i like the 2D look in general to the odd 3D characters in the DS version

Beth Cyra

After seeing the FFiV Complete on the Vita screen, it's hard for me to go back to the DS version. It looks really really good. And i like the 2D look in general to the odd 3D characters in the DS version

Graphicly I can see the problem, that said as a game DS is far better then Comp and if he is okay how VII and III DS then he should be more then okay with IV DS and that way he gets a better overall game.

jb1234

I would agree. The Comp version is basically just a straight port with pretty graphics. The DS game has completely new features and is significantly tougher (but satisfyingly so). It felt like a whole new game to me (which obviously wouldn't matter to you but it's best to have the most awesome first experience possible).

CorvoSol

What's everyone's beef with The After Years? I'm really enjoying it, even if it has the most insane difficulty and mind-bending, semi-obsessive-compulsive level RNGs for things.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Last time, Batman and friends battled against a bunch of Squaresoft boss favourites, including Square-Enix’s Motomu Toriyama’s favourite character—Lightning, who ended up being very difficult to put to rest. I think she’ll come back somehow. :/

We’re back with Batman and co and we’re going to commit regicide today. We need to find the King, though.

CAtXz.gif
Genso Suikogaiden Vol. 1 – Sedition

VKtMx.png
9JEMT.png
MVESt.png
jPhEu.png

The problem is that there is no one in the castle at all. It’s like they all vanished in thin air, or were all executed. It’s a wonder no one in town has raised a stink about it yet.

MijmQ.png

Eh, we might as well keep everyone alive for now.

On our way to the throne room, we encounter a familiar face from the very beginning of the game.

F2KXu.png

But wasn’t he kissing the King’s butt the last time we saw him, despite the King acting really weird? This is Flag 1. Flag 2 is that he’s being extremely nice, despite the fact that he ended up selling Batman out at the very beginning of the game and thus his rank was stripped from him.

8GsiG.png

Flag 3: I’m a patriot now. I know I was bffs with the King the other day, but y’know, I’m cool now, you see? I shall cross swords in the name of my country. Not in the name of the King. Oh yeah, don’t bother asking me why the castle is deserted.
I killed them.

de5kv.png
U6l1I.png

Wow. Batman is a complete idiot. Batman is far too trusting of an individual. Perhaps his dream is trying to make up for that somehow.

Whatever. We’ve got SIX party members now! But they won’t fit in the whole menu. In fact, I can’t even pull up the menu. What the hell?

WwaRY.png
MtXbV.png

How the crap are children smarter than a grown man who’s been through knight training?

3InnZ.png

i am shocked

legit

c2PSy.png

CAtXz.gif
Lennus/Paladin’s Quest – Boss Theme

Baigan is now a weird monster thing with snake arms. I don’t know. The snake arms do their own thing.

Oh, Baigan… I played Final Fantasy II US when I was quite young and always approached fights with a “brute force the enemy” type of tactic. Therefore, I ended up getting creamed by Baigan quite often. With Baigan, you can’t take a brute force approach with spells.

APvMg.png
HXRXi.png
a2OUn.png
6jxJu.png

The way to approach Baigan is with caution. The body is your main target here. The Snake arms could be taken down to reduce the damage being done to your party; they use Sap to drain your HP, and they can paralyze your party members. Even if you take them down, though, they can be Recovered.

What I generally do is cast Berserk on Donnie so all he’ll do is attack, and his physical attack is increased as a result of the status effect. Cast Slow on Baigan as quickly as possible. Cast Fast on both Donnie and Batman in order for them to attack quicker.

If you cast a spell on Baigan, the body will cast wall on itself. We could use Quake and Twincast in this situation but I really don’t feel like it. The general strategy here is to cast wall on one of your party members and have either Slam or Abe bounce spells off the wall onto Baigan. The problem with this is that you cannot control where the spells are going to land, so if you have the arms alive, it could hit the arms and thus you’ll end up wasting MP. Another thing is that you can’t tell when a character/enemy is still walled, so you have to use an item/spell that causes a status effect to see if they have wall on them.

Baigan’s arms will still be alive if you kill his body because reasons. Get rid of them or you’ll get an explosion in your face like dear Slam did.

Nvz66.png

Children giving a older guy who’s been through knight training advice about talking to strangers.

Hey let’s go see what those guards at the front of the castle are going to do.

tsUpT.png

LOL. I see that Golbez has supplied them with a steady stream of beer. Look at how many craps they give!

Well, since there’s no one in the castle, we could just loot everything.

sYjTQ.png
1Cnl2.png
kiIh1.png

They’re all potions and stuff. In the other versions you get other stuff that cause status effects, but those are either not in this version, or were dummied out.

J7G2B.png
EmDVE.png

This area is blocked off by PURPLE. Shit, we can’t even fight PURPLE.

Hug6K.png

Let’s do this.

Wait.

vB9fD.png

Strip Slam and Jam of their equipment because we want to make this battle kind of harder.

Now let’s do this.

v9xcC.png

Why are you the only person here? This makes no sense.

H7xRV.png

He hates Paladins just as much as Donnie does. Also, he’s so furious that he’s forgetting articles. The dialogue’s gotten a little creepier.

qMclK.png

I think he has a personality disorder… we should get him treatment…

M1mmA.png

…in the form of a sword to the face.

wpasm.png
COPBG.png

Aw, crap, another one of those? I didn’t prepare for two boss fights… I can imagine this guy talking as if he were a crime boss from a 1940s flick, see?

wKXyB.png
HLJVU.png
pPLV5.png

Uh. So he’s shedding the human skin off of himself and throwing it away? Because that’s pretty damn gross.

Batman should probably be pissed right now considering the King of Baron, who raised him since he was a child, has been killed. Kainazzo has been masquerading as the King since they began their fight for the elemental crystals. Somehow this turtle thing managed to pull off a pretty good human disguise. Because it makes sense, and no one noticed over the span of a few days.

Welp, he isn’t the King, so I guess no one can blame us if he dies…

Also, Kainazzo? What were you people drinking when you knew full-well that Cagnazzo would fit? Cagnazzo, like the other Fiends, comes from Dante’s Inferno. It means ‘large dog snout’. Because turtles look like that?

4boMl.png

CAtXz.gif
The Dreadful Fight

Kainazzo is one of the easiest bosses in the game because I don’t think they really playtested this and took into account how strong Abe can be at this stage. That’s right. I said Abe.

3yxPY.png
z09y6.png
HuQGz.png

Kainazzo’s basic move is to gather water from who the hell knows where and cast Wave at you over and over. And it hurts. It especially hurts the twins because I took their equipment off.

So in order to dispel his attempts at making a festive water slide for everyone, you need to cast Lit at him with either Slam or Abe.

b9ZZJ.png
rGeyl.png

LOL, yeah they didn’t take into account that a Lit-3 spell would decimate this boss. Kainazzo also has another move where he hides in his shell and heals himself. But this is only if you drag the fight on for too long.

Man, I’m glad they beefed him up in the DS version. Baigan makes this guy look like a complete joker.

0tOcV.png

I’m not an imposter! D:

FxE4a.png

CAtXz.gif
Cid’s Theme

Smelly? I bet it was overflowing with monsters. I love that we didn’t have to bust [character who isn’t going to be Cid] out of jail. At least some characters can totally help themselves.

…where the hell was he kept prisoner, anyway? This makes no sense.

n6do6.png
Twika.png

How dare he abuse mah Beer?! That shit was frosty cold! That ol’ Golbez is gunna learn a thing ‘er two ‘bout abuse!”

1nTXq.png

Cid hates being interrupted, you know.

wnqHg.png
gP8fi.png
bpzHF.png
zmLGn.png

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Cid is Vince McMahon and Abe is Ric Flair, confirmed.

ybotA.png

YOU’RE NO FUN.

hPZYc.png
MqfqF.png
YLTU2.png

Slam is so much better than her it’s unbelievable.

Finally Batman remembers why we came to Baron outside of finding a new brand of beer.

RuYQ7.png
M9qFt.png

There is almost nowhere you can put this thing. We’ve searched every inch of this castle.

Batman, you’re slipping in your storytelling.

EjplW.png
4UNN7.png

Oh, this room is finally going to serve its purpose. And “this” Kainazzo? How many Kainazzos are there?! Is someone keeping count?

Is there a Kainazzo who likes to build sandcastles? A Kainazzo who likes to smell flowers? A Kainazzo who likes to dance? A Kainazzo who liked to wear crazy party hats? Is it like a Yeul? Someone tell me. D:

ZDtRc.png

Yes, Abe. Those are walls…

CAtXz.gif
Run!

Crushing walls.

X3ayL.png

Cast Exit! Someone. Three of you know it! What are you standing there for? DO IT.

yskJr.png

Batman, this is no time to be playing Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden.

zETCB.png
P0umg.png
oqujv.png

Wait a fucking minute…

P6Sqt.png
PKiBI.png

CAtXz.gif
Cry in Sorrow

It’s okay we’ll use a Soft on them or Heal. Whatever. It’ll be cool.

Ag5wm.png
WojTD.png
Tt6iy.png

Well, nuts. I guess we have to find some Supersoft, huh? To the world of Final Fantasy IX!

I suppose that in the world of Final Fantasy IV, no one can ever come back from a sacrifice.

AAv6q.png
EP2d7.png

Dammit, Batman…

kASkm.png

So why didn’t you bother to do it? Oh, right, your revenge is more important than anything else on this journey, you know what? I dislike Abe a lot.

3CYOk.png
q0OE4.png
OvLO5.png

When I was younger, I never really ‘got’ this dialogue exchange. I thought Cid was directing his dialogue at Abe instead of talking about the kids. So he ended up being this cynical bastard to me when I was younger (which kind of fits in-line with his characterization in some FF games in general).

vPeRQ.png
FSvK0.png

Speaking of Golbez…

Vr5NX.png
GYtwc.png

CAtXz.gif
Somewhere in the World

Where does this guy get his live TV channels from? Who does he subscribe to?

7FCcz.png
Je5SO.png

So apparently the Crystal of Earth isn’t just lying around in the back of some guy’s throne room ready to be stolen. I guess you can’t have your brigade of wonderful airships smack the kingdom down, huh?

PfrVu.png

…

Has Beer even gone to the washroom since she’s gotten captured? All she does is squirm and probably groan. Has she eaten? What have those two done to her?

cznOo.png
cznOo.png

Damn, he is devious. I guess since Batman became a Paladin, he’s become more of a threat to Golbez?

nWvXj.png

Beer doesn’t talk.

hITww.png

Tommy’s kind of channeling a Creepy Raper Guy right now.

Everyone loves Batman. Everyone who meets or comes into contact with Batman wants to jump on him. Why can’t it finally be Tommy’s turn?! D: Remember, Batman dazzles and sparkles. Everyone in FF4 is addicted to Twilight.

Now we’re back with the crew.

gj2ph.png
brCPb.png

…what the hell does this even mean? No, but seriously, what’s this referring to, even? Did they make a guess at the translation or something? It makes more sense in other versions (Cecil usually asking “I didn’t know about that.” Cid goes: “It’s been here the whole time!”). But here? @______@

8gwWX.png
vrig2.png

Airships are shaped like boats. This one is yellow.

ITLxD.png
0PHTF.png

“This” Enterprise? There was more than one? How much money does building all of these prototypical Enterprises cost?

Also, capitalize that “F” on the Abe dialogue, man. I had originally thought that Batman’s airship was the one with the white flag when I was younger for some reason.

8cova.png
fvP1J.png
Nzyfm.png

CAtXz.gif
Suspicion

Time to discuss a truce. Or something? Maybe? I like that Tommy’s keeping up the illusion that Batman doesn’t know that he and Golbez have been snooping in on him since Fabul.

…have Golbez and Tommy been watching episodes “Batman’s Dying Dream” while knocking back a few drinks ever since Fabul?

rlbZB.png
TnzSQ.png

CAtXz.gif
Somewhere in the World

What’s a Toroia? Is this a new Atelier game?

SlHz6.png
KqAVL.png
FxD8O.png

Pretty sure Tommy would flip Batman the bird if he wanted to. Also, in the PS1 version, I vaguely remember Tommy making fun of Batman’s new getup.

Hey, remember at the beginning of the game where we had to steal a crystal and we ended up taking it by force?

Guess what? We have to steal another crystal because of goons. Are you prepared to destroy the world for the sake of one girl one mug of beer?

pkWHb.png
l5D6L.png

Yeah! Let’s get that new Atelier game!

rZ5L3.png
K3ul0.png
4dj9m.png
rDi3u.png

Cid, who are you talking to? Where are you going with this? What do you mean “fourth wall”?

(Really, was it necessary to put a tutorial right in the middle of a dialogue section?)

Next Time: Backtracking, a new kingdom, and NPC dialogue.

Heropon

X3ayL.png

Cast Exit! Someone. Three of you know it! What are you standing there for? DO IT.

For some reason I never thought of that. This situation is made worse by the fact that Rosa Beer uses Exit in a cutscene later. She must be the most intelligent character in the cast, but that doesn't says much of her intelligence anyway.

Jucksalbe

Banned
For some reason I never thought of that. This situation is made worse by the fact that Rosa Beer uses Exit in a cutscene later. She must be the most intelligent character in the cast, but that doesn't says much of her intelligence anyway.

As far as I remember you don't necessarily have Exit at this point, so they couldn't use it in the story. Rosa is the only one that learns it automatically.
Could be wrong, though.

jaxword

It's just a poorly contrived scene, but remember they are using the FF2nes model, so they had to come up with more ridiculous ways to get the new characters and their new job classes into the party. FF2nes was even worse at times.

Ultratech

After experiencing Scarmiglione giving me "a fine death indeed!", I located Bahamut which was nearby and for the first time ever I managed to get my classes upgraded in this game. This is really cool, and Red Mage looks kinda like Alucard now.

aAlRJ.png

In other news I just found out Monk isn't low tier at all, just having a weapon equipped to Monk nerfs his power tremendously. I tested out Monk after I unequipped a weapon and immediately I did 300+ damage on an 8 hit. *edit* Landing almost 500 a hit now.

Yeah, Monks are pretty uber. It takes a while, but they can hit for some pretty ridiculous damage. You really don't want to put a weapon on a Monk unless it's at the start. After a while, he'll do more damage barehanded.

Yeah, it does look really good. However, IV DS is worth a play (especially if you've played any previous version of IV...hohoho).

It's just a poorly contrived scene, but remember they are using the FF2nes model, so they had to come up with more ridiculous ways to get the new characters and their new job classes into the party. FF2nes was even worse at times.

Let's see...
-Minwu: Just leaves eventually. Tries to help his dying King...
-Josef: Helps you liberate his people. Then gets crushed by a boulder saving the party.
-Gordon: Found wandering his old stomping grounds, being useless. Finally stops being useless and becomes an NPC.
-Leila: Tries to rob you, has her crew's asses kicked, and decides to join. As for leaving...there's not really a good reason here.
Sure, they thought she died after Leviathan attacked, but she shows up later on and never rejoins, just being an NPC.
-Ricard: Found in Leviathan (he loves eating people doesn't he?) and decides to help you escape.
Dies trying to fight the revived Emperor, helping the Party escape...which was a bit stupid in hindsight.
-Leon: "Remember me? From the beginning? Well, I'm here now, so take me with you to fight the last boss!" (Yeah, the whole situation here kinda silly given what just happened no less than like 30 minutes ago.)

FFIV is just stupid in that death and sacrifice hardly mean anything in the game.
"Welp, I'll go sacrifice myself to save ya now!" *supposedly dies* Then you usually find them either heavily wounded or asleep, or they're just ok later.
Hell, I think Tellah is the only party member who manages to stay dead...and he more or less offed himself.

And they killed NPCs for the sake of killing them. Minwu dies in vain because Ultima isn't THAT powerful, they could have sealed the Osmose and Toad tomes in the tower and it would have been better.

Yeah, that's one of the more annoying points of FF2, how they made going after Ultima such a big deal when it really amounted to nothing more than a giant goose chase.
Nothing really good comes of obtaining it, (especially if you're playing the NES version...) other than getting those cool equips and Stat Crystals out of the Tower of the Magi. Plus, look what happens while you were in the Tower.

Heropon

And they killed NPCs for the sake of killing them. Minwu dies in vain because Ultima isn't THAT powerful, they could have sealed the Osmose and Toad tomes in the tower and it would have been better.

CorvoSol

TOAD is the mightiest spell in the series. Freaking everything in the Final Dungeon is weak to it.

TOAD.

Myriadis

I guess it fits here the most.

Finished Final Fantasy XIII-2 and I must say that I loved that one. Outstanding Soundtrack with a nice mix of different genres, nice maps that have at least some exploration in it and lots of optional bosses and even optional areas, times and endings. I also think that the writing was actually decent, even though I didn't get all since I never played FFXIII. But the events in Episode V and the last hour were pretty nice.

It's just strange how they managed to make such mistakes, though. Some of the Fragments and Wild Artifacts are just incredibly hard to find. There are enemies where you simply can't flee from, which makes the whole encounter idea kinda useless in that case and items just can be bought from one source. And Academia 500 AF was really boring.
I prefer other games like FFXII, Resonance of Fate or Wild Arms 3, but this one was great too and surely in my Top 10 of my favorite RPGs.

I should give all the old Final Fantasy games (1-6) a try. They were never released on NES/SNES in Europe, but I guess the VC will have them.

Heropon

There was a talk in the Lightning Returns thread about missables in RPGs, so it's time to remember these lovable things in list form:
  • Excalibur II (Final Fantasy IX): Reach the final area of the game in less than 12 hours and get Steiner's most powerful weapon. Rushing though FFIX should be punished, not rewarded! It seems that it's region locked too thanks to the PAL version being a little slower. The best thing one can do is ignore this item's existence, there are things that shouldn't be touched and this is one of them.
  • Genji Equipment (Final Fantasy V and XII): Wow, the mighty equipment owned by GILGAMESH. This magnificent set of armor being missable is a crime, who wouldn't like to dress like the timeless hero? The Steal skill is required to get this set. It's pretty easy to get it in both games but I didn't like thiefs in V and I always missed it.
  • Full Throttle Dressphere (Final Fantasy X-2): You have to talk to the traitor Tromell Guado to get Paine's special dressphere. He can die in a fire, but one has to do insincere things to get the goodies. If you don't talk to him in the first two chapters the dressphere is gone.
  • Trainer Dressphere (Final Fantasy X-2): Look at all those beatiful pets! Have you answered two answers to Kimahri erroneously? Too bad! The pets are gone. The dog keeps being Yojimbo's backup dog, the monkey keeps stealing people and the pheasant will be eaten by brother. Those fates are all your fault!
  • Missing Score and HP Shout (Final Fantasy VII): Not feeling like taking Barret to fight Hojo? The chest that contains his final weapon mysteriously disappears! So funny. The other weapon is in the Shinra HQ just before that event. I didn't know you could get in there the first time and get this item from Reeve's locker. A little hidden for my tastes.
  • Drawable GFs (Final Fantasy VIII): It isn't easy to miss them, but they're important as they give important skills. This is a nasty surprise from the developers to those who don't like to use the draw command (I suppose no one does that). Cerberus is missable too but it's a little big to miss it, doesn't it? There's a second chance to get them in the final dungeon, but it's too late. People shouldn't abandon their GFs in the hands of monsters, they wouldn't do it to you.
  • Zodiac Spear (Final Fantasy XII): The content in that jar in front of Old Dallan's house must be so nice! I entered this palace and I'm going to get all the treasure! Those evil Archadians! I'm going to get the contents in all the jars in the Nalbina Dungeon. 16 jars perfectly organized, I must get all their items! The people that thought this and opened one of those jars were punished and have to open a jar in a dangerous mine thousands of times until they get one spear. Don't follow their steps! Sanity is more important!
  • Mascot Dressphere (Final Fantasy X-2): One must do despicable things to get this overpowered dressphere: Saving the Guado? Check. Saving the Albhed? Check. Helping a maleficent businessman? Check. One error and this dressphere is off limits. The developers of this game loved their missables...
  • Shadow (Final Fantasy VI): A missable character! That's like ultimate trolling. One has to be almost be told how to get him as that involves waiting when you wouldn't think about doing it. The hurdles don't end in that moment and one has to rescue him again and betting a certain item in the Dragon Neck Colosseum. The art of making missable characters was perfected later in Chrono Cross and other games (I don't know about Suikoden, I'm sure it has some).

CorvoSol

Don't forget the missables in Final Fantasy 4 The After Years!

To wit: A number of challenge dungeon goodies, most notably Adamantite. If you don't feel like doing these dungeons a million times to stock up, too bad!
The Queen's set. Without this you can't get the Call Me Queen Band! Did I mention you have to spend oodles of money in a chapter where you get about 300 gil a fight to buy your way to them?
The Tails: While you can get most tails again, later, as random drops, the RNGs for the Tails are in the specific chapters, and the Black Tail can only be purchased in Palom's Chapter. Also, all 21 Small Tails and the Rainbow Tail, which can only be gotten during The Gathering.
Rydia's Summons!: Pretty much all of Rydia's summons can be missed in the game!
Calca and Brina: Unless you get the Mythril Bolt and Nut, you miss out on two whole characters! Did I mention the insane drop rate?
Golbez!
Bring the wrong party to a boss fight and you lose him forever!

Yaaaaay FF4TAY, YAAAAY.

I'm so close to the end of this game.

Ultratech

To be fair, the Zodiac Spear isn't technically missable, but the odds of it actually showing up otherwise probably makes its case there. (Something like a < 1% chance of showing up somewhere in the Henne Mines with the high-level enemies.)

What else...
-FF5 Summons (Though this may be inaccurate since I think some of the summons you may have missed like in World 2 for instance, may show up elsewhere. Like if you miss Golem, he pops back up in the Rift. Really want to test that out somehow...)

-FF2 Blood Sword: In the NES version, it's a non-issue, since there's two. In the remakes, there's only one and if you don't pick it up then, then you lose access to it.

-FFVII Enemy Skills: In this case, Trine and Pandora's Box. Trine is only learnable off of certain fights, which you can't redo. Pandora's Box is bugged to where it can only be cast once per game.

Heropon

To be fair, the Zodiac Spear isn't technically missable, but the odds of it actually showing up otherwise probably makes its case there. (Something like a < 1% chance of showing up somewhere in the Henne Mines with the high-level enemies.)

I think it was 10% chance of the jar appearing, 10% chance of it containing an item and of that, 10% chance of it being the spear. You need to have equipped the diamond armlet, otherwise it'll be an elixir (100% if the content of the jar is an item and not money).

CorvoSol

What else...
-FF5 Summons (Though this may be inaccurate since I think some of the summons you may have missed like in World 2 for instance, may show up elsewhere. Like if you miss Golem, he pops back up in the Rift. Really want to test that out somehow...)

-FF2 Blood Sword: In the NES version, it's a non-issue, since there's two. In the remakes, there's only one and if you don't pick it up then, then you lose access to it.

-FFVII Enemy Skills: In this case, Trine and Pandora's Box. Trine is only learnable off of certain fights, which you can't redo. Pandora's Box is bugged to where it can only be cast once per game.

The mountain Golem is on in FF5 is in both World 2 and World 3.

I've made it all the way to the Trunar Subterrane now. Killed off Baigan again. Present party is Ceodore, Kain, Golbez, Rydia and Rosa. Ceodore is just holding his father's place. When Cecil comes 'round he'll be there to stomp Creator's head in. Also, I should state that I don't have time to fight the Super Bosses. I might come back and take on Shinryu and Omega later, but for now, they just have to wait. I'm trying to just run straight down to the end of the game now.

jb1234

Played quite a bit more of FF8, up to the missile base. It's hard not to shake the feeling that Disc 1 is pretty much where the game peaks. The escape from the prison at the beginning of Disc 2 was interminable, just dreadful. And while I'm still entertained, there really isn't much challenge here. Because of how easy it is to rig the junction system, random battles and bosses fall without much struggle. At least the music is still great.

As far as the characters goes, this game isn't faring well. They all have personalities (for the most part) but aside from Squall and Seifer, none of them are explored. Selphie is your usual spunky JRPG heroine (although less obnoxious than some). Zell is your usual upbeat JRPG hero (and about as obnoxious as most). Quistis seems like she'd have potential but her development stopped right after she had her talk with Squall at the training area and she's just been tagging along for the hell of it. I especially find it hard to like Rinoa, who comes across as a naive, spoiled brat. I want to tell her to sit back and let the adults handle all this... except NONE of them are adults!

Ah, JRPGs.

Heropon

nbCYR.png

FFIX steal rate for the rare items is horrible. At least they give you infinite tries if you fail... The screenshot takes place in an alternate timeline where the RNG is a jerk.

xITEz.png

If Cinna sleeps with Garnet's doll I can't imagine what Baku does with the queen's one.

WHmpn.png

Heropon

^
Yeah, I think it's a great translation.

2ghsj.png
gWRTx.png
Hw9ye.png

I think I'm going to steal shamefully this gif, thanks Schala!

CAtXz.gif
Vivi's Theme

The POV character changes. We control a black mage kid called ??????????. He has to endure being tricked, enslaved and listening to a strange tutorial about MEMORY CARDS.

zgdpZ.png
WQX8N.png

He even has to deliver mail. Poor kid.

DkkB1.png
2KUm7.png
CCQNC.png

After running through the rooftops, the kid is given a name by his owner. The reward to all his ordeals are seeing a theatre play. And this concludes Vivi I chapter!

(I love the prerendered backgrounds)

Jucksalbe

Banned
FF IX still looks great (well aside from being stretched like that).

I was at that scene when I compared FFIX on PSP to the Vita. On PSP this yellow parts in the background are mostly white. It's already mostly gone in the picture, but I think it was even worse when actually seen on a PSP.

Ultratech

FFIX steal rate for the rare items is horrible. At least they give you infinite tries if you fail... The screenshot takes place in an alternate timeline where the RNG is a jerk.

It really is pretty bad. I remember stalling for like 10-15 minutes on one boss fight trying to steal an item.

The mountain Golem is on in FF5 is in both World 2 and World 3.

Not too surprising. The game WANTS you have Golem apparently.

I think it was 10% chance of the jar appearing, 10% chance of it containing an item and of that, 10% chance of it being the spear. You need to have equipped the diamond armlet, otherwise it'll be an elixir (100% if the content of the jar is an item and not money).

Sounds about right. The odds of it actually having the Spear were crazy low.
They changed it in IZJS to where you either get one from the Trophy Club or there's a chest in special section of Henne Mines with a 1% chance of showing up that has it.
It's guaranteed to have the Spear if it shows up at least...and it's easy to go back and forth until it spawns.

I can't wait to replay FFVI when I get it on Virtual Console when I get my Wii U. I haven't played it for almost 10 years, and it's easily the best FF for me.

Although it'll be weird going back to some of those weird translations of the SNES version, hahaha. Fucking tonics.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
FF6 - currently getting my ass handed to me by the mobs on Kefka's floating island. Up until now it had been pretty managable but there's this monster-in-a-box that is kicking seven shades of shit outta me. Think I may have to grind in the pitifully small area I'm in until I gain a few levels...

jaxword

FF6 - currently getting my ass handed to me by the mobs on Kefka's floating island. Up until now it had been pretty managable but there's this monster-in-a-box that is kicking seven shades of shit outta me. Think I may have to grind in the pitifully small area I'm in until I gain a few levels...

You know you can escape the the floating island and go back to Earth, right? Just head farther in.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You know you can escape the the floating island and go back to Earth, right? Just head farther in.

You can?? But is that past the monster-in-a-box? I think this guy is blocking my way (can't see an alternate route at least) but he is two-hitting everyone in my party. Even trying to find a status that will affect him isn't working. I just need to level a bit, everything will be cool then.

Luckily, this FF has the DQ-esque system whereby you get to keep your XP when you die, right? It's just items that don't carry over.

jaxword

You can?? But is that past the monster-in-a-box? I think this guy is blocking my way (can't see an alternate route at least) but he is two-hitting everyone in my party. Even trying to find a status that will affect him isn't working. I just need to level a bit, everything will be cool then.

Luckily, this FF has the DQ-esque system whereby you get to keep your XP when you die, right? It's just items that don't carry over.

You shouldn't have to grab EVERY box, no. Just come back to it later. It SOUNDS like you're facing that Gigas guy who uses ThroatJab a lot. You could just summon Phantom?

Besides, there's some things you should do on the ground before you take on Kefka. Try visiting some older towns and remote islands first.

Heropon

cfRoi.png

BOO!

uYCxl.png
NWQhF.png
tkw5X.png

CAtXz.gif
Vamo' Alla Flamenco

A retro QTE without bad consequences! Our favourite footaballer gains lots of moneys with his actor skills. 98/100 in the first try should be good and the ugly fat cow is entertained.

FfBuh.png
Y1DR2.png

The real deal is the kinapping plan and they find the birdie earlier than they would have thought.

vDW30.png
qgBuh.png

CAtXz.gif
Jesters of the Moon

The court sneakers Zorn and Thorn warn Beatrix and the queen about the princess disappearance. She wasn't in the bathroom, after all!

PCttv.png
fUtRg.png
oF9vc.png

CAtXz.gif
Steiner Theme

Poor Steiner is tasked with searching for the missing girl. The queen knows about the interdimensional bag that Steiner shares with the thieves and gives him a silk robe for them. It's so nice of her.

HIVYV.png
HBlIm.png
DVAz8.png

Steiner find the sixth character in the kitchen. Quina is a female in this version, but she doesn't like women complements. Steiner finds all his minions and discovers useful information for Disc 3 and an elixir.

76ZUJ.png
njogm.png
pYpxR.png

Steiner keeps chasing Zidane and the princess but a roadblock appears on the way. These troops are really silly.

goHga.png
gSBFA.png
2LgAJ.png

CAtXz.gif
Battle 1

Steiner knows the Prima Vista better than their owners and catches them but he frees the filthy oglops Blank has hidden.

UHd7u.png
BusIZ.png
EC0Rb.png

Everyone in this game wants to abandon their jobs and be actors, so Garnet and Steiner join temporarily Tantalus. Vivi wants too, but it's pursued by some Steiner minions.

6zL9F.png
yfdXA.png
vfKW0.png

And he burns the princess. Steiner hasn't liked his job as actor and returns as an enemy. The fireworks aren't FX anymore and Steiner sweats a little thanks to all that heat. Angered, the Queen drops a living bomba in the ship.

dVfda.png
qPlzs.png

KA-BOOM!

CAtXz.gif
Game Over

Ponn

Banned
Did anyone else preorder the FF Sky collection art book from Amazon? Apparently it is sold out there and everywhere else so do not cancel it if you want it.

Lord Phol

Juste wanted to say that Laguna is awesome, and if anyone is not playing FFVIII because of whatever reason, HE is the reason you should play it!

Top Bottom