• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So uh guys... I was gone over the weekend.. what did I miss in terms of important things/updates happening/guild-relevant? thanks!

KuroNeeko

Not really having a ton of success as mesmer in spvp. Coming back from playing thief for a bit it really feels like I can't do much for damage, nor protect myself if the fight is going bad. Tons of people seem to think mesmers are "OP" but I can't seem to find a build that works out for me. I always feel like I'm on the back foot in fights, even when it's a 1v1 with both of us starting at full health. Lately I've just said fuck it and specced entirely for damage, and I still can't seem to burst anyone down very effectively. Probably need to take more of a break or something.

I haven't tried sPvP yet, but if I were to jump in on my Mesmer - I'd probably go with a condition build based on Sharper Images, and Inspiration / Illusion traits. Clones / Phantasms generate the bleeding condition on criticals, as well as apply Confusion and cripple when killed / shattered. I'd probably run Staff and Sword / Pistol. Staff for the condition / boon spam, Chaos Field + Staff 2, and Chaos Armor. I'm not really a fan of the sword, especially since it's more of a power weapon but it does give you Sword 2 which is a a 2 sec. invulnerability on a short cooldown. Otherwise, I'd go Scepter / Pistol for Scepter 2 (Clone or Blind) and Scepter 3 (Confusion.) Pistol Duelist (Pistol 4) is awesome with Sharper Images and Pistol 5 is a multi stun. Utility skills would probably be Decoy, Feedback, Null Field, or Mirror Images. Feedback is less useful in sPvP but still decent for comboing and harassing ranged. Null field is to deal with boons / conditions. You may even want to try Arcane Thievery if you're having troubles with conditions.

Basic strategy is to kite and apply conditions. Staff 2 / 3 / Pistol 4 / Mirror Images / Scepter 2 means you can crank out a decent number of clones which you can leave up for damage or Shatter (1 to burst down, 2 to apply confusion, 3 and 4 to buy time to escape.) You'll probably want to abuse Line of Sight shenanigans and forced target drops with clones.

You can probably drop Pistol for Torch if you want to run the Prestige for serious mind games. Personally, I think Pistol 4 and 5 is tough to give up.

docbon

Bwahahaha. Playing in Plains of Ashford with Wallach, and some server bug is causing us our attacks to become faster and faster. i am literally the Flash right now.

I ended the night on a WvW match that involved the biggest zergs of enemies I've ever encountered in WvW.

One hunter broke off to chase me, however, and I led him far enough away from his posse to turn it into a 1v1 fight. This guy had me down to half health as I had been running away, but THAT ALL CHANGED WHEN THE MOA NATION ATTACKED. I turned him into a moa and he panicked hard, letting me have an easy quick kill while two more of his friends were just getting there.

Thanks to the bouncing nature of Mirror Blade and the luck of them being close together, I got them into down states simultaneously while they also got me into a downed state. Thanks to Mesmer trickery, however, I had them attack a downed clone while I was able to heal a bit and pelt the lower of the two to revive myself. Then I finished the second one off and danced on each of their corpses - their names were still there so I knew they were watching.

Then I logged off and called it a night.

docbon

I ended the night on a WvW match that involved the biggest zergs of enemies I've ever encountered in WvW.

One hunter broke off to chase me, however, and I led him far enough away from his posse to turn it into a 1v1 fight. This guy had me down to half health as I had been running away, but THAT ALL CHANGED WHEN THE MOA NATION ATTACKED. I turned him into a moa and he panicked hard, letting me have an easy quick kill while two more of his friends were just getting there.

Thanks to the bouncing nature of Mirror Blade and the luck of them being close together, I got them into down states simultaneously while they also got me into a downed state. Thanks to Mesmer trickery, however, I had them attack a downed clone while I was able to heal a bit and pelt the lower of the two to revive myself. Then I finished the second one off and danced on each of their corpses - their names were still there so I knew they were watching.

Then I logged off and called it a night.

This game needs a flex emote for such occasions.

Watch this video. I've played ele for a long while now, but this boon-swapping build is what made it tick for me. RTL into Updraft, switch to Fire, then Burning Speed into Flame Ring, Arcane Wave, Fire Grab, switch to Earth, then Earthquake into that other earth skill. It really feels like a fighting-game at this point. Sure it may not have the most combo-fields, but it flows together so beautifully.

Loading up Churning Earth with the flash is also great fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PKPbboLqzM#

holy shit. I mean... holy shit. Curious how that builds stack up against bosses and what not, but with all those boons, survivability shouldn't be too hard.

Dina

holy shit. I mean... holy shit. Curious how that builds stack up against bosses and what not, but with all those boons, survivability shouldn't be too hard.

And it actually does pretty well in WvW, granted you use a staff here (cause of the range). With a staff you're still swapping out and putting fields down, so the boons will still tick. You can even get that trait which makes your staff-aoe's a lot bigger for no cost whatsoever.

Arcteryx

I think CoF explore is gonna be changed, because right now it's blow a up.

Yea there was a huge zerg outside it tonight. I'm sure they will buff up a lot of stuff in there to make it not as easily doable in sub 15 minutes.

Dinged 80. Now I just need to finish up my p quest and explore a couple areas to see if I can get some easy rares/exotics to sell/gold in general; then off to grind some dungeon gear.

I think my alt is either going to be a necro or a guardian; still need to figure that out.

Ken

I heard AC is bugged right now? Trying to find a group but every time I LFG someone says it's bugged and I shouldn't bother.

Lingitiz

As mindless as the world events are, I really enjoyed fighting Tequatl. The last time I did it today we just barely managed to win the fight at the end when more people started showing up. Its a great feeling to be up in front and fighting while reviving a while bunch of people.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I would seriously buy a personal trading post golem for like 10 bucks. Running back and forth is so zzz....

Haha, I kinda love it :) It makes the TP feel like an actual institution in the world instead of a ooc marketplace. And it's still miles above other MMO's auction houses, where you have to be there for everything.

But ofc I see where you're coming from.

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm just reading this incorrectly but....

Not sure if you're joking or not but dyes are account bound, but you can change the dyes for your equipped items. I believe you dye your slot, so it carries over to future pieces put into that slot.

Dyes are not account bound. What I mean is that when you pick up a dye and double click to consume it will only show for that character. If you create a new character, the new character does not have access to unlocked dyes on other characters.

This information is of course subject to whether or not this changed in the last 24 hours.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just had a few awesome runs with the guys in the GAF guild through the mansion dungeon. Did all 3 of the scenarios and was some crazy stuff!

Good times and great party, thanks for the fun guys! :D

I heard AC is bugged right now? Trying to find a group but every time I LFG someone says it's bugged and I shouldn't bother.

Ya AC is bugged. The mansion isnt tho.

_machine

This game needs a flex emote for such occasions.
Probably coming eventually along with plethora of other emotes; /flex amongst many other commands doesn't yield an "invalid command" message, but simply doesn't have an animation like /dance and the others didn't have in the first betas.

Ferrio

Banned
Best item in the game? I think so! There's a newline after each part too, so it takes up 3 spaces in chat.

R15Lv.png

KKRT00

Watch this video. I've played ele for a long while now, but this boon-swapping build is what made it tick for me. RTL into Updraft, switch to Fire, then Burning Speed into Flame Ring, Arcane Wave, Fire Grab, switch to Earth, then Earthquake into that other earth skill. It really feels like a fighting-game at this point. Sure it may not have the most combo-fields, but it flows together so beautifully.

Loading up Churning Earth with the flash is also great fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PKPbboLqzM#

WTF, why his game doesnt lag at all? It doesnt look like that on my end ;\

Dreavus

I haven't tried sPvP yet, but if I were to jump in on my Mesmer - I'd probably go with a condition build based on Sharper Images, and Inspiration / Illusion traits. Clones / Phantasms generate the bleeding condition on criticals, as well as apply Confusion and cripple when killed / shattered. I'd probably run Staff and Sword / Pistol. Staff for the condition / boon spam, Chaos Field + Staff 2, and Chaos Armor. I'm not really a fan of the sword, especially since it's more of a power weapon but it does give you Sword 2 which is a a 2 sec. invulnerability on a short cooldown. Otherwise, I'd go Scepter / Pistol for Scepter 2 (Clone or Blind) and Scepter 3 (Confusion.) Pistol Duelist (Pistol 4) is awesome with Sharper Images and Pistol 5 is a multi stun. Utility skills would probably be Decoy, Feedback, Null Field, or Mirror Images. Feedback is less useful in sPvP but still decent for comboing and harassing ranged. Null field is to deal with boons / conditions. You may even want to try Arcane Thievery if you're having troubles with conditions.

Basic strategy is to kite and apply conditions. Staff 2 / 3 / Pistol 4 / Mirror Images / Scepter 2 means you can crank out a decent number of clones which you can leave up for damage or Shatter (1 to burst down, 2 to apply confusion, 3 and 4 to buy time to escape.) You'll probably want to abuse Line of Sight shenanigans and forced target drops with clones.

You can probably drop Pistol for Torch if you want to run the Prestige for serious mind games. Personally, I think Pistol 4 and 5 is tough to give up.

Thanks for the input. I love using pistol for the barrage phantasms, but I seem to have issues with survivability when I go for that strategy (for some reason). I came up with a new build after my post basically when I saw the "stealth lasts longer" trait and started building around that, opting for a torch instead.

What I've been running tonight is 30 chaos 30 inspiration 10 illusions with sword+torch and staff, mainly for cloaking lasting longer, healing on shatter, and glamour skills lasting longer. On utility, they're actually pretty similar to yours: I have decoy, null field, and Veil (taking advantage of my traits with this one) with Time warp as the elite. Despite the defensive traits, I'm still running a Soldier's Amulet to hold on to as much power as possible, and it keeps my damage at decent levels. And due to the undead rune set and the 25 minor trait in chaos, I have +5% of my toughness as condition damage twice, despite only having the 10 points in illusions. Makes for a pretty well rounded build I think.

I basically set up staff 3 phantasm, use staff 5, switch weapons, set up torch 5 phantasm, then kite and teleport around with the sword skills, going in and out of invisibility depending on how much I'm being targeted. I'm loving all of the stealth tricks (3 of them!) because it ACTUALLY gets people off me, unlike most clone shenanigans I've been trying up until now (as long as call target is in the game, at least). I've been feeling pretty confident taking people on with this, which is a big difference from a few hours ago!

Kinda stumbled into this build myself when I got annoyed and specced ultra defensive, then saw some of those traits at the end of those lines... and rolled with it! It probably needs some tweaking, but it covers a lot of areas I was struggling with. I would love to find a way to get 20 into duelist for the "make a clone on dodge" trait, but I can't spare the points! It's been working great so far, and my buddy and I even took a tourney win tonight.

EDIT: As for getting effects when illusions are "killed" (cripple/confusion), I don't think that actually works when you shatter them. I'll have to test this, but I'm pretty sure that's specifically when people cut them down and not when the mesmer activates a shatter.

EDIT2: I read through your post again... what do you mean by "line of site" tricks when using clones? Can't people hold a target on you even if you run around the corner? I'm interested to know, because I've done a bit of digging, and clone skills don't seems to affect the targeting people have on you (including called target) regardless of what the wiki states. I've definitely had my character throw auto attacks at someone I have targeted, but is currently behind a wall, so I'm not so sure what the usage of that would be...

---

On a slightly different note, does the NA GAF guild do any sPvP? I really got to get in with you guys if there is. I have a friend who I play a lot of it with, but it really sucks being paired with strangers who obviously don't have access to our voice chat. Trying to type stuff out in battle is catastrophic in this game.

Loginius

I as well can recomend that setup, Im not quite there jet (lvl60 so 20trait points missing in air and water) and it already works really will in basic pve.
But you should always bring a staff for very big zergs and WvW or you will die/cant see anything.
You dont have to respec for that though as a few hundred points of damage/some boons are neglectable under those circumstances.

desverger

EDIT: As for getting effects when illusions are "killed" (cripple/confusion), I don't think that actually works when you shatter them. I'll have to test this, but I'm pretty sure that's specifically when people cut them down and not when the mesmer activates a shatter.

EDIT2: I read through your post again... what do you mean by "line of site" tricks when using clones? Can't people hold a target on you even if you run around the corner? I'm interested to know, because I've done a bit of digging, and clone skills don't seems to affect the targeting people have on you (including called target) regardless of what the wiki states. I've definitely had my character throw auto attacks at someone I have targeted, but is currently behind a wall, so I'm not so sure what the usage of that would be...

Yep, traits that cause effects when illusions are killed only means when someone actually hits them and they die. I'm pretty sure this doesn't also include the illusions dying when your target dies, even if you still get the funny blow up effect on them if you have the chaos trait equipped :p

I think that what he means by Line of Sight shenanigans is that clones/illusions don't need LoS when you summon them, so you can abuse that to your benefit. If you have an enemy targeted who is behind a wall, just summon a clone to annoy the heck out of him.

By the way, I'm glad stealth works better than forced target drops in PvP. I was mighty dubious of how it would work after reading it up on the wiki, so maybe it just doesn't for all of the skills, or people just hit their "T" key super fast to get you back on target after a drop.

DodgerSan

Log-in not working again? (EU)

Also forum login and password forgotten not working. I hope it's at their end and I'm not hacked.

Edit: Working now, minutes after I ticketed it :/

Dreavus

Yep, traits that cause effects when illusions are killed only means when someone actually hits them and they die. I'm pretty sure this doesn't also include the illusions dying when your target dies, even if you still get the funny blow up effect on them if you have the chaos trait equipped :p

I think that what he means by Line of Sight shenanigans is that clones/illusions don't need LoS when you summon them, so you can abuse that to your benefit. If you have an enemy targeted who is behind a wall, just summon a clone to annoy the heck out of him.

By the way, I'm glad stealth works better than forced target drops in PvP. I was mighty dubious of how it would work after reading it up on the wiki, so maybe it just doesn't for all of the skills, or people just hit their "T" key super fast to get you back on target after a drop.

On LoS... I hadn't thought of that! Although I'm reasonably sure I have been doing it at least a little bit all along without realizing. I try to watch the range indicators on my phantasm skills and as soon as they're in range - all systems are go, no matter where they currently are, haha.

As for clones, yeah, it definitely doesn't drop you as a target as I thought... for most skills at least. Particularly the more common ones like sword 3 and staff 2, and I'm pretty sure even the blocks off scepter 2 and off-hand sword 4 don't drop you either, despite the weird ripple effect. I still want to test mirror images though, since that skill seems to specifically mix up your position with the 2 clones it creates, so there may still be hope on that one.

At first I was annoyed that none of these skills worked the way I thought they would, but considering the cooldowns on some of these skills (I'm looking at you, staff 2) I admit it would be a little hectic for your enemy to be re-selecting you EVERY TIME one goes off.

I did kind of wish there was another way to do it though, because it really feels like when a target is called on you (red crosshairs and all) the jig is up, sans stealth ruining things for them I guess. I suppose shaking your target is one of the big advantages of stealth, and giving that functionality to illusion skills (complete with their short-ish cooldowns, not to mention high frequency for a mesmer) might be a little too crazy after all.

Morokh

Audίoboxer;41980872 said:
See the 'costumes/armour' in the gem store, it says they can be used once per piece, I take it they can then be transmuted though?

The way they are described, it seems to me they are items with no stats that actually act as a transmutation stone.

The medium armor one is pretty cool btw ... but the light one ... hum ...

Dreavus

The way they are described, it seems to me they are items with no stats that actually act as a transmutation stone.

The medium armor one is pretty cool btw ... but the light one ... hum ...

Sounds similar to how the heritage stuff works. Kind of sucks that you only get one though, I would have thought you'd just "unlock" the skin in the store and use it as you please. I guess if you change your mind with it you could always use a stone to move it to something else.

K now it's not downloading at all... 0.0kbps. And if I restart the downloader the whole thing starts over from scratch...don't these guys have the technology to pause downloads?

accx

Seriously, do You guys have also lags? Its scary to watch other footage with no lag at all, when i have sometimes 2-3 seconds on skills ;\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RANKno7s0M&feature=youtu.be

0:13, i'm even activation instant skill with mouse to show delay ...

Movement is good, but skills and reactions from them and npcs are lagged.

Looks like latency issues. I get similar issues when playing during prime time (although it's increasingly better than at launch).

Ken

Seriously, do You guys have also lags? Its scary to watch other footage with no lag at all, when i have sometimes 2-3 seconds on skills ;\

I get like half a second lag on my skills but that's expected since I'm outside of the mainland. 2-3 second lag sounds like something really bad though. I would not play if I had that much lag.

Median

Log-in not working again? (EU)

Also forum login and password forgotten not working. I hope it's at their end and I'm not hacked.

I'm in Canada and can't login. Updater is telling me that the game client can't get access to the login servers, and my login/password don't seem to work on the forums.

Had that for a couple of hours the day after launch, but it's been smooth since then. Every instant skill activates the moment I press the button. I guess it's latency on your end.

Ah nice, managed to get 25% off GW2 Deluxe Edition at greenman with the code GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G

They didnt have the regular edition (which I would have got instead) so I got the digital deluxe for the $60 with that code. I dont think the deluxe is normally worth it, but its basically "Free" with that code.

Dash27

So if I wanted to grab some magic find gear I'd just search the AH for "Explorer" of my armor type?

What foods are + magic find?

RossCo

Neo Member
I have been having random lag as well, all other games work fine.

To add to the weirdness, the latency only seems to occur on on character (a charr mesmer). Playing in the same zones with my Asura thief is perfect.

Serious weirdness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom