• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Wii U will sell out for months (through April 2013)

fallagin

i6loC.jpg

Oh God, this is an awesome reference.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I don't know what to think about this; it seems to be the kiss of death, but he is not being honest with what he's said in the past...

I don't know if his powers work when using them in purpose.

Also, there is the chance that the Wii U will be sold out for two years, like the Wii, and he is completely wrong again.

Jockel

Successor of the best selling console is going to sell well?
Even Ray Charles could see that coming. And he doesn't know anything about video games.

Joni

Successor of the best selling console is going to sell well?
Even Ray Charles could see that coming. And he doesn't know anything about video games.
That is a really strange prediction when the last two examples are the PS3 and the Nintendo 3DS, both not really known for their stellar launches.

I thought it was a cardboard box, or something? Pachter's one of those people that claims to know what's going on in the industry, but he clearly learns things as we do. Fool.

Joni

I thought it was a cardboard box, or something? Pachter's one of those people that claims to know what's going on in the industry, but he clearly learns things as we do. Fool.
He also knows he doesn't make money by informing us, he makes money by informing investors. We don't know what he told them.

Hahahahaha. Looks like he's breaking his neck or something o_O

I dunno, I quite like Pachter really I'm pretty sure the Wii-U will be selling quite well for a while.

I haven't been keeping up with all the Wii-U threads actually. What does GAF reckon? Gloom and doom or it's looking good now that they gave us prices and specs and shit?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I haven't been keeping up with all the Wii-U threads actually. What does GAF reckon? Gloom and doom or it's looking good now that they gave us prices and specs and shit?

It launches with an impressive 2D Mario game so I think most rational people expect it will do quite well.

Wow, Pachter is really down on Wii U:

-Only an average of one million units worldwide a month (that would have it finishing weaker than either HD console over the course of the gen)
-Saying only Nintendo fans are going to pick it up
-Predicting a year one price cut (when the price is already incredibly reasonable)
-Labeling it "casual" despite the majority of the software being "core" focused

bud23

Oh yeah Pachter again.

Pachter on July 16; “[The Wii] worked, they got lucky, [but] I don’t think they’re getting lucky with Wii U. I don’t think they suck. I just think that they really believe that, ‘If we’re still novel, everything we do will work’. This isn’t going to work. "

http://www.edge-online.com/news/nintendo-made-wii-u-pro-controller-secure-call-duty

And this quote from Pachter......LOL
"I am wrong on every individual estimate, but the sum of my errors generally adds up to a very small miss. I was skeptical about Wii until I played a game on it at E3 in 2006, then instantly became a fan."

This guy really deserves a thread on GAF?

McLovin

Oh yeah Pachter again.

Pachter on July 16; “[The Wii] worked, they got lucky, [but] I don’t think they’re getting lucky with Wii U. I don’t think they suck. I just think that they really believe that, ‘If we’re still novel, everything we do will work’. This isn’t going to work. "

http://www.edge-online.com/news/nintendo-made-wii-u-pro-controller-secure-call-duty

"I am wrong on every individual estimate, but the sum of my errors generally adds up to a very small miss. I was skeptical about Wii until I played a game on it at E3 in 2006, then instantly became a fan."

I don't want to live in a pachless world.

I love GAF's comments on Patchers statements!

Also, pretty sure the guy has said the complete opposite before. You might as well pay a fucking magic 8 ball.

Protocol7

Since when Patcher is a reliable source? He's just a phony... All he does is predict loads of things to at least get one right...

He also believes that Activision’s support of the Wii U with a lot of casual titles (sans Black Ops 2), signals that “they think the Wii U market is casual”.
It's worth noting he said this immediately before they said Black Ops II was coming, so it became obsolete very fast.
LQX said:
Who did not see Nintendo under shipping to cause the same hysteria the Wii did?
There were more Wiis available than any near-launch home console ever. 7 million through March would top that.
X360_WW

Varjet said:
Paging JoshuaJSlone
Hahaha.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wow, Pachter is really down on Wii U:

-Only an average of one million units worldwide a month (that would have it finishing weaker than either HD console over the course of the gen)
-Saying only Nintendo fans are going to pick it up
-Predicting a year one price cut (when the price is already incredibly reasonable)
-Labeling it "casual" despite the majority of the software being "core" focused

some of those seem reasonable.

what are the launch volumes of previous generations? 1m per month sounds ok for the initial high prices and limited production at the start of a product. Lifetime sales aren't linear.

I don't see much in the current line up to make non-Nintendo fans jump right now.

One year price cut would be around when PS4/720 are launching, using price as a weapon against them makes sense.

Oh yeah Pachter again.

holy shit wtf

2MF

I'm more interested in evaluating his statement that 30% of shipped consoles will go to the US. Is this historically reasonable? Seems low to me.

MrT-Tar

seems the kiss of death has been given to the WiiU; didn't he claim that Nintendo priced the 3DS at launch too low?

I'm more interested in evaluating his statement that 30% of shipped consoles will go to the US. Is this historically reasonable? Seems low to me.
It's definitely a simplified rounding to say 30% for each major region, but not TOO far off. The last few launches NA seems to have gotten 33-40% in the first half year, and those figures wouldn't come completely from the US.

EDIT: I made a mistake there. Doing days-from-launch for each region rather than going by date made NA seem worse in the Wii percentages and better in the 3DS ones.

Wii
Wii_EU

3DS
3DS_EU

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Pachter: Nintendo will regret low 3DS price
"I'm impressed that they had the confidence to charge $249; I think that they're going to regret it," warns the mighty steed. "It's going to sell out and they're leaving money on the table. I'm impressed that they're this consumer friendly -- that really matters. So it's not shareholder friendly, but consumers are going to love the $249 price point. We can call bullsh*t on Reggie [Fils-Aime] a lot, but I actually agree with him. If you explain the feature set to most consumers, they would say $300 or more. So $249 is a bargain, and I think this thing is going to be on eBay for $500 immediately."

LOL!!!

He gets his information from a horse?

Nekki

This thread is great, and that Reggie picture is priceless. I like him a lot, but i also love all the persona surrounding him (my body is ready, what's wrong with you, etc) haha.

Pachter: Wii U price cut next year
Following today’s launch details, he’s unleashed a barrage of tweets about the info. “ think Nintendo is pricing right, will capitalize on fervent fans who will buy at this price,” he said. Those are probably the kindest words he’s ever said about the console.

His kindness continues as he mentions that he likes the launch lineup that he sees: “The Wii U software lineup was better than I expected, third party support pretty solid, and Nintendo titles high quality.”

Still, Pachter did say that he expects 2013 to see a price cut for the machine, as competitive PS3 and Xbox 360 deals come to the fore.

http://beefjack.com/news/pachter-wii-u-price-is-right-but-expect-price-cut-soon/

Top Bottom