• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

CorvoSol

Beat KH3D, would be returning to 6 but someone said the words "Secret Movie" so the rest of my night is now about figuring out how I failed to get that despite playing on Proud Mode.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Beat KH3D, would be returning to 6 but someone said the words "Secret Movie" so the rest of my night is now about figuring out how I failed to get that despite playing on Proud Mode.
Ugggggggggh, secret movies... Not worth it, man.

So that means I have to beat the Dark Aeons... Challenge accepted. I've never defeated Bahamut, Anima, the Magus Sisters and Penance, so this can be a good chance to kill them!
Don't do anything you don't want to do, really! If you haven't beaten them before, you don't have to. I can wait until FFX HD (hopefully w/ international fixes) comes out. That's why I don't really plan on getting the Pink Tails and stuff on my playthrough of FF4.

If I do feel like it, I'll just input a Game Genie code which ensures drops because I do not have time for the chance-based thing at all.

Yeah your spoiler is exactly the thing my girlfriend was confused on, and honestly so was I a bit since it had been so long. It didn't sound right and I told her as much, but the game was through talking on the matter.
The fact the game had the two most important characters have identity crisis' didn't help either. Clouds in SOLDIER, wait no he's not. Sephiroth is an ancient! Wait no he's not. Also apparently who we thought was sephiroth was jenova this whole time!
You should both play Crisis Core together if you get the chance (ie: hook the PSP up to the TV if you can), that way things can be explained, and you get a fresh look at some of the story parts like Zack and the Nibelheim stuff (though you can safely ignore the Genesis parts, lol).

Man, when my boyfriend and I play games together, he just gets overly competitive and tries his best to beat me, even during co-op multi (ex: Tales games by messing up combos or using stupid moves), lol. Half the time when we played NSMB Wii together, he kept killing me because he wanted to get ahead. Eh, I kinda like it this way, to be honest, haha.

Xero

MY girlfriend wouldn't play with me if I acted like that. FUnny story i had gotten her to play tekken with me. She was button mashing as nina williams, and I'm just picking random people and half assing it. That is until she beats me like 4 times in a row. I keep doing random, but I start trying and keep getting beat. So I pick my main guy and hold back a little the first round. She beats me. The second round I go all out and get a perfect on her, and she quits and never picks it up again. I tried explaining to her that she was kicking my ass so much that she forced me to go all out. This didn't make her feel any better.

Heropon

IFt8C.png
HbkMk.png

It seems that Sin has evacuated Tidus in some kind of ruined place. There are strange inscriptions in the walls that he can't understand because he doesn't have any samples to do some cryptananalysis.

oDQTz.png

There's a strange sphere that uses transfarring to discover the key to that language. Unfortunately for him, there aren't dimensions near to get the primers.

0IazA.png
5DsKi.png

TIzmP.gif
Battle Theme

Now that Tidus has discovered that there are monsters in the world, it seems that they follow him and he has to fight alone.

AAXjV.png
ZNrbh.png

He defeats them easily, but a bigger monster appears to eat him.

bFTtK.png
NHD5Q.png

TIzmP.gif
Boss Theme

Eh, it seems that there's a bug with this emulator where someone in a boss battle is facing away from the other group. This time is the boss, who is too embarrassed to look at my gorgeous Tidus. Tidus gets bored and tries to flee.

rdIWx.png
zujqs.png

TIzmP.gif
Hopeless Desire

He ends inside the temple and has to use his knowledge adquired in the Boy Scouts to make some fire. Some rocks to cause a little spark...

JHU3b.png
H6FkE.png

...and some flowers to keep the flame. He's succesful, but only after he gets some woods behind the scenes. The fire is pretty good, but he's still hungry.

anOBa.png
lET6Q.png

Ugh, another monster. Boss battle 1, Klikk: Attack, get attacked, attack, get attacked...

Hlj2f.png
4uukR.png

A group of people appears to help poor Tidus. The new girl spices up the battle thanks to new mechanics like stealing and using special items to attack like grenades.

8FjAu.png
tsuen.png

After she uses all her grenades, she can steal some more. The stealing mechanics are interesting, the chances to get an item halve after each succesful steal.

TIzmP.gif
Victory Fanfare

Victory!

VB6ay.png
g3j7x.png

These people aren't as friendly as we previously thought. They talk in some kind of alien language and like to hit people in their stomachs to faint them.

CorvoSol

Finished KH3D and the Phoenix Cave last night. Now the gang's all together again and we're off hunting for Magicite! First stop? The Sunken Castle! Got the Master's Scroll from the Samurai Soul and now Terra is unstoppable.

At this point though, it won't be long before I'm ready to tackle Kefka. I'll hold off, though, until I've defeated the Kaiser Dragon and MAYBE Omega.

Heropon

WQqMG.png
Erh4P.png

Tidus wakes up in a ship with the people that appeared in the temple. The leader wants to play and Tidus has to guess what kind of thing he wants only by seeing his gestures. Tidus doesn't understand anything and that hurts the leader's feelings.

JjvDv.png
3PNgQ.png

Luckily for Tidus, the lady knows to speak propa English and tells him that they want to enslave him. That's pretty cool. These people are really disorganized and have books on the deck. Tidus gets the first primer to learn this language that is only a cypher based on the real language that everybody can talk in this world.

giMWC.png

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy IV - Palom and Porom's Theme

Rikku teaches Tidus to use the sphere grid. What's that and how is Tidus holding one? Character growth systems are pretty interesting, but there are times where their existence isn't explained very well.

2U1yk.png
lyvVY.png

The mission isn't clear, but thanks to a chain Tidus can dive without thinking where he is going. Luckily for him, there aren't sharks or giant squids, only evil piranhas.

ReTrt.png
ufACO.png

Tidus arrives at a place where all the machines work by hitting them. Another victory for Tidus the engineer.

nEtZg.png
U0ueY.png

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy VI - The Decisive Battle

Boss battle 2, UlTros: This monster appeared when Tidus was hitting another machine. It takes advantage of the environment and it goes behind the column.

3nC3f.png
NctKg.png

And then TACKLE! Don't mess with the octopus! Just when it is going to do it again the characters surround it.

sArgd.png
EUkaV.png

The octopus can't put up with the fight and dies miserably. The ruins are activated and the ship's crew can get what they were looking for. The reward for helping them is staying on the deck and continue starved.

9JQ7s.png
j4dGz.png

Luckily for him, Rikku (the girl) brings him food. Those are really good manners, Tidus! Rikku explains him how the city where he's suppossed to come from was destroyed 1000 years ago (Mmmm, time travel in my Final Fantasy. I'm eskeptical.) and how Sin could have affected his sanity.

VOCG3.png

Just when Rikku was going to tell the crew to take Tidus to a city called Luca, Sin attacks again and he ends up being sucked by a whirlpool. What adventures will have Tidus beneath the sea? We'll know in the next update!

Xero

I also want to point out that when my girlfriend and I fought sephiroth last night my disc was glitched out. On the last screens to him, the background turned into gold saucer fmvs. After I beat sephiroth no videos load and it goes straight to the credits. Had to show her the ending on youtube.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
^Maybe you both should play FF8 or FF10. FF10 because, well, the ending might bring on the tears, and FF8 just to see what she thinks of the love story in it + character designs + the art/game setting.

MY girlfriend wouldn't play with me if I acted like that.
Not a lot of girls who don't play games very often would. :lol

It's different when you're both super-competitive and you're both into games (but play games way differently), though. You get into more fights than you'd want to... At least with NSMB Wii, it's more laughing really hard because you're both impeding each other from getting ahead.

Heropon said:
Tidus arrives at a place where all the machines work by hitting them. Another victory for Tidus the engineer.
I used to laugh at this when I was younger.

You know.

Because Tidus is an idiot.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It's different when you're both super-competitive and you're both into games (but play games way differently), though.

My girlfriend only wants to play co-op with me anymore. Kinda gave up on playing competitively. Though in NSMB Wii it' still fun to throw each other around, game is easy enough that nobody gets mad if you lose a life. Kirby's Epic Yarn is a wonderful game to play in co-op. You can throw each other around and do lots of stupid stuff, but you can't really die, so noone gets angry. And you can help each other out. I think that's the first game I played from start to 100% in co-op.

Over the weekend I obtained 300 more screenshots. I trimmed them down to around 200, but then I realized that I still have one update that I was supposed to do, which I am doing now.

What have I gotten myself into?
KuGsj.gif

PREVIOUSLY: Beef and Mustachio Mustadio decided that it was an OK idea to split up, because apparently horror movies haven't been invented yet so nobody knows what an awful decision that is. Let's find out how that went, shall we?

Z4i4q.png
uMAjh.png

Of course not. He's got a gun, after all. Who would try and capture someone who is packing heat?

bRqj6.png
bPYCX.png

...Well damn.

dT2XY.png
wDCL5.png

YOU HAVE A GUN, MUSTADIO. Why didn't you just shoot him!? And we have a name: Ludovich. He's the bastard who has been giving Mustadio and Mustadad trouble over the auracite.

yRijq.png
iGfzY.png

OmgWz.png
6t3j3.png

Ludovich, as it seems, is not a patient man. He's also not a stupid man, as we can see that he brings out Mustadad Besrudio, Mustadio's pappy. Ludovich orders one of his henchmen to shove him inside the building (presumably to rough him up a bit), and Ludovich goes back to us.

TNF2Q.png
PLfDG.png

Ki2fh.png
Kw7jb.png

For a villain, I kinda like how snarky Ludovich is being.

73lcW.png
BAd1U.png

gb5kh.png
2Usyv.png

Ah, we've outlived our usefulness. But what's more important is that Ludovich let it slip that the Cardinal was in on the plan the entire time. And we just so happened to leave Agrias and the princess with him. Gawrsh, what a mess! We quickly get through this battle after looting some of the enemies here, and rush to Besrudio's aid.

wtmux.png
WhaJ6.png

SJDzL.png
4H5jE.png

Ha-ha, the ol' switcheroo! Maybe he's not the world's dumbest smart guy after all.

MT4Vk.png
SkjI9.png

62wuG.png

While Mustadio is all-too prepared to bask in his own glory, Beef wants to hurry the hell up and get to where Agrias and the princess are. Remember, the Cardinal was working with Ludovich, which means they're in huge danger.

cCC8g.png
fVX7Q.png

8YwhH.png
VHdj4.png

Beef is already assuming the worst, which isn't a bad thing to do right now. His assumption of the Cardinal's plan is in the ballpark, and they need to figure out a plan of action.

4cXJI.png
MGGMM.png

9NZVj.png
MZtrK.png

A new route opens up after this, since we can't go back the way we came. We've got to take the backroads to get to Lionel Castle.

NEXT TIME: MORE FAMILIAR FACES.

Haven't updated my FF2 play through in a while but I've been playing sparingly.

I just stormed Castle Palamecia, and saw the Emperor revive from hell. Nooooooo Ricarddddd.

Now I got Leon with some decent weapon levels. Gonna equip him and go straight into the Jade Passage.

Man, high level Blink + Berserk + Haste makes you feel unstoppable.

Xero

^Maybe you both should play FF8 or FF10. FF10 because, well, the ending might bring on the tears, and FF8 just to see what she thinks of the love story in it + character designs + the art/game setting.

I absolutely hated ff8 and sold it after I finished. So I have no personal desire to ever replay the game. I didn't hate ffx, but I wasn't a big fan of it either. FFX was when I decided I honestly wasn't interested in any new final fantasy games, as I really didn't care for the direction. Our line up is as followed, valkyrie profile 1 and 2, xenogears, final fantasy 9, radiata stories. Then probably the breath of fire games or chrono cross, or us replaying secret of mana or finally playing SD3 with her.

LAST TIME: We saved Mustadio's papa, but learned that the Cardinal was doublecrossing us the entire time. Now we're going to try and head back to Lionel Castle. But first, have some more plot, on the house!

InmAe.png
dJLsF.png

dXD0k.png
JmWvm.png

It's NeoGaffgarion, and he's cracking wise again!

R3Ldt.png
OVyTX.png

bjEAz.png
UbEMt.png

Delacroix plans on using the princess as bait in order to get that Zodiac Stone. It's way too important for us to have around, and from the looks of it Ludovich is not on Delacroix's good side.

GxUb1.png
acgfL.png

And another zinger from Gaffgarion! If only he fought as well as he taunts.

57ouG.png
5tHWG.png

Gaffgarion leaves, and Ludovich is none too pleased. Unfortunately for him, Delacroix is even less pleased with Ludovich.

hPN3H.png
5vINC.png

ar64L.png

And that's the last time anyone ever heard from him again. Well, apart from the bloodcurdling scream.

We make our way through a river in order to reach the castle, when all of a sudden we chance upon someone we know all too well!

FvnBX.png
ll8Or.png

6s41p.png

It's another protection mission! Unlike the last ones however, Agrias is more than capable of holding her own. As an aside, this is actually one of my favorite maps to fight on.

cBaC5.png
ecuMc.png

BqRcD.png
UVive.png

Agrias confirms what we all feared: the princess and her WERE in danger, and only Agrias managed to escape. In order to keep the princess alive, we have to slay these nobodies and head back, post haste! Our destination changes once the battle is won, though. Instead of heading immediately to the castle, we take a slight detour and go to an execution site known as the Golgollada Gallows.

8Vz5F.png
6Q6v7.png

aV8Nr.png
wtsbY.png

It's not a very exciting entry, but we'll take it. Prof. Beef, world renowned princess saver!

tuPNq.png
9CrzH.png

Prof. Beef, the ever-gallant fool! Seriously though, nothing ever goes right. I wouldn't mind showing up somewhere and having the bad guys lay down their weapons. At the very least, it would make stealing easier...

npX6S.png
66KmA.png

8OluG.png

The speech bubbles are a bit backwards, but that's how the game prepared them. After some good ol' fashioned boasting, we finally do battle. Gaffgarion has a lot of good equipment in this fight, and he still has the potential to end your party's run right there, despite his levels being much lower than ours. That's one of the dangerous things about this game, actually. Even though my party members are at higher levels, they can still be taken out in a turn or two by really good attacks. They don't even have to be particularly strong attacks, just enough to make me worry. Stats aren't as important in this game compared to other FF games unless you're trying to min-max your entire squadron to have 999 health and mp, for example. The explanation to it is fairly simple, but the process itself takes AGES. It's truly what separates the hardcore from the rest.

And no, I am not min-maxing everyone. The only character who comes close to getting that treatment is Dark Schala, and that's only because of the ridiculous requirements to become a Dark Knight!

T74uv.png
grm1f.png

I take my time with this fight so I can level up Mustadio and steal from Gaffgarion. Once I'm done with the latter (since the former is a consequence), he retreats and we're back on our way to Lionel Castle. Before that, we get to see a special scene that explains where the princess is.

U5uNV.png
hqnDm.png

lEMCG.png
bnEQC.png

They certainly do enjoy talking down to--wait, come again?

t999w.png
FSi8l.png

YdyZg.png
oikuy.png

Well ain't this a kick in the head. Princess Ovelia gets thrown for a loop with this bit of news, and rightfully so. Nobody likes someone revealing to them that they're a phony.

MlcFr.png
PE8EG.png

d71lb.png
eyF2K.png

All that to displace the Queen? She must be one stone-cold bitch.

QBLlF.png
91yUX.png

fAIO3.png
wqB3q.png

...hey, c'mon now. Let's not go insulting butchers. They do good work.

BquJK.png
WreA4.png

ctHMj.png
Fscy7.png

It's always unnerving when the villain(s) are either in the right, or make a damn convincing argument. This time is no different. Ovelia's world is crumbling in front of her; she is being hunted by an army, the Queen wants her dead, she's locked in a castle, and she just now found out that she's a pauper...or whatever the female equivalent is...if there is a female equivalent term.

YZPrL.png
1Mj9M.png

LG98p.png

With that, the three of them leave to let Ovelia collect her thoughts, numerous they must be. There is one more scene after this, and it involves another familiar face...

hPhg1.png
A0S8J.png

ITAgi.png
0BCWy.png

It's Weigraf! And in case you were wondering, this IS the same map where we fought and killed his sister. I thought it was a particularly nice touch. Anyways, while Weigraf is paying his respects, he gets an uninvited visitor.

v84VB.png
9XUJM.png

Intentional or not, I found that hilarious. Way to kick a man when he's down!

71k0d.png
71k0d.png

mzunG.png
Y9T6R.png

At this point, it's easy to feel sorry for Weigraf. He lost his army, lost his war against the nobles, and lost his only family. He's well within his rights to assume the worst when a shady guy in an overcoat wearing armor walks up to you and insults you in the middle of the night.

...right?

J8XSO.png
NY7FW.png

2ITYO.png

The knight knows just what to say to get Weigraf's ears to open up. He's the spitting image of those revenge tropes.

HeM6x.png
qUDTo.png

BpxC6.png
ydfY9.png

NMfay.png

-END SCENE-

Crazy good manipulator he is. Although it's less impressive when you remember that Weigraf has nothing to lose.

NEXT TIME: THE CHILLING CONCLUSION TO CHAPTER 2!

Natetan

Man, high level Blink + Berserk + Haste makes you feel unstoppable.

They are, but I dont usually bother leveling them (not that it's hard, lv 4 for status spells is usually good enough) If you go to Mysidia early, the game only catches up with you around that point, just when you get the heal staff (1000+ cure), yoichi bow (berserk), and masamune (haste), as well as the blood sword that all pretty much negate any need to level up spells.

hi level heal spell is helpful sort of to avoid buying tons of golden needles , but by the time you level the spell enough, you've become pretty immune to stone anyway...

if the enemy casts forget or curse i usually just restart :)

They are, but I dont usually bother leveling them (not that it's hard, lv 4 for status spells is usually good enough) If you go to Mysidia early, the game only catches up with you around that point, just when you get the heal staff (1000+ cure), yoichi bow (berserk), and masamune (haste), as well as the blood sword that all pretty much negate any need to level up spells.

The only time I remember grinding them were when I first got them to get them to level 2 or 3 and I've been pretty much been playing normally ever since. I use them for larger enemies or when there's lots of annoying enemies, so they get plenty of use.

CorvoSol

hi level heal spell is helpful sort of to avoid buying tons of golden needles , but by the time you level the spell enough, you've become pretty immune to stone anyway...

if the enemy casts forget or curse i usually just restart :)

JUST LEVEL UP TOAD. TOAD is AWESOME and it KILLS BOSS MONSTERS.

Anyway, in FF6, I've gotten all the magicite except Raiden, Crusader, and the 4 new ones. So I'm busy building up cash because EXCALIPOOR COSTS 500000 GIL or whatever! Freakin' nuts, man. I also need to remember where the Cursed Shield is, and the Celestriad.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Professor Beef said:
Shit, he's trapped you in a place with green skies!

oh god what is going on over there

It's Ooze! He's turning you into a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.

My girlfriend only wants to play co-op with me anymore. Kinda gave up on playing competitively. Though in NSMB Wii it' still fun to throw each other around, game is easy enough that nobody gets mad if you lose a life. Kirby's Epic Yarn is a wonderful game to play in co-op. You can throw each other around and do lots of stupid stuff, but you can't really die, so noone gets angry. And you can help each other out. I think that's the first game I played from start to 100% in co-op.
My bf doesn't want to play Kirby Epic Yarn's co-op with me. -_____-

With NSMB Wii, even if you die it's still hilarious. There were times when we got mad at each other but it didn't come out because we were busy laughing at how stupid the death was. But when we play fighting games and Tales games together he button mashes and/or spams the same attacks, and it gets on my nerves. And it's impossible for us to play single-player RPGs together; that's where we argue because we play RPGs very differently. Like, we could never ever sit down and play a Final Fantasy game together unless we MST3K it or something because we'll only argue about how to battle, which skills to use, etc.

The only FF game we came close to playing together for a little bit was Final Fantasy XIII, and I became incredibly frustrated with how he played the game. >.>

Heropon

i27jg.png
qgmxY.png

TIzmP.gif
Besaid Island

Tidus awakens in a beach and sees some blitzball players and explains them about how he can say stupid things thanks to the Sin toxin. The captain is called Wakka, ya?

rG8X4.png
PVSrM.png

It seems that Sin was a kind of giant luddite and destroyed all the cities because people were using machines. Wakka thinks he's pretty funny and throws Tidus to the water, ha ha! Tidus almost drowns and has dark thoughts.

nw06V.png
ubna6.png

Oh, Wakka, you so funny... He begs Tidus to join his team because they're all a bunch of losers. Tidus accepts but wants chicks and money in return.

kC52c.png
fILoj.png

These guys are crusaders, they supposedly fight Sin to protect the towns. And how does one little person hit that big whale? I don't know, I think crusader is another word for suicidal. There's a certain gesture that our favourite blondie has to learn, the Prayer to Yevon. It's the same gesture the blitzball players used in antiquity. It's not uncommon for churches to take pagan symbols and incorporate them to their "holy" traditions, this church is no less than the others. Tidus evidently already knows it, so he does it better than Wakka expects.

mbkvY.png
8HQYF.png

The crusaders not only are suicidal, they also put their books on the floor. Tidus thinks about doing a collection of Albhed primers and takes it. He also visits the temple, where he learns about a guy called Braska, who defeated Sin. Mmmm... Last time I saw it, it was alive and kickin'.

fxWfG.png
stl6x.png

It's nappy time for Tidus. He's tired of fainting so often so he wants to sleep in a normal way. Wakka is alerted about the summoner apprentice and goes to the temple. Meanwhile, Tidus recalls the day when his father disappeared.

me5w9.png
q5aSU.png

Tidus has to help them because he's so nice and breaks the rules about not entering the Cloister of Trials if one is not a guardian of the summoner. Someone is going to get scolded...

The next update contains the beloved by everyone first Cloister of Trials!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
OP updated with a Mission Status image, a DMW Status section, and yet another character!

1 month later...

Pt.4 "Fruit: The Town of Sweet Scent"

iVQdvP8vLMzon.jpg
ii9TH7K6QOmlx.jpg

A restless Zack is exercising when he gets a call to head to the briefing room. There he finds Lazard, who wants him to head to Genesis's hometown to see if he can get information on the guys whereabouts. He'd sent people there previously but lost contact with 'em. Tseng, A member of the Turks will be joining him on this assignment. After picking up a Thunder materia from the supply pods, Kunsel suggests they head down to Sector 8. "You should always do as much as you can before an assignment, so you have no regrets." Personally I think Kunsel was just using him as an excuse to get out of work since he parts ways with him fairly quickly!

i19Ll10wRxeIE.jpg
iEiGpbtIVBf8n.jpg

ixoXQOt89rdbH.jpg
ibdjqSeGyDctGS.jpg

Zack is quickly spotted by a group of women who're fans of certain members of SOLDIER. Sadly he finds out he's not popular with the ladies! These man-crazy gals go on and on about their favorite dude and somehow he gets talked into joining Angeal and Genesis fan clubs. The Sephiroth fan club has stricter requirements for entry which he unfortunately doesn't meet at this time.

iGVDL2ppACbQ8.jpg
i4GKYD0bBIgUG.jpg

Some more time wandering around town and chatting leads Zack to encountering a grumpy Shinra security captain who says Midgar doesn't need SOLDIER. The regular joe troops like him help lost kids find their parents, catch petty crooks, and other things. He then challenges Zack to a joint training session. Security vs SOLDIER. Who's best to protect Midgar? Sounds to me like some new missions have arrived!

i8AI25ipjvy9I.jpg
i9KgJQVI7e2gr.jpg

Back in Shinra HQ, Zack heads up to the SOLDIER floor where he encounters a researcher who suggests he oughta go out hunting for mako stones. Maybe he'll do just that... ~ Time to get this assignment under way! Tseng mentions that this was supposed to be Sephiroth's mission but he declined it. Zack says they spoil Sephiroth to much but declines to say that to his face! Turns out Genesis's hometown is Banora, same as Angeal! It's a nice looking place crawling with Genesis copies. The residents are missing so it seems Genesis may have taken the place over.

i5pw9hIEUzZDj.jpg
iLJ3v1wTpwkBW.jpg

iKP2DmwLTrL81.jpg
ibyp4NgkCGhzRU.jpg

A big ol' mech attacks and get's zapped to pieces in short order thanks to that useful Thunder materia! After the battle Tseng says this tech was stolen from Shinra and that some of it allows Genesis's abilities and traits to be transplanted onto members of SOLDIER and monsters. Zack checks a billboard and gets taken in by some advertising! Tseng then hypothesizes that since Angeal & Genesis grew up together and were best friends that it seems reasonable to assume Angeal would desert to join his buddy. They find a fresh grave which Tseng decides to dig up. Ewww! Icky, but someones gotta do it. On the other hand Zack's got it easy. He gets to stroll around town checking for survivors & Angeal.

ibbHfMvxGvs5ce.jpg
ibz0oDwblbPLHm.jpg

iAD3hv1MDVDeW.jpg
ietIGFY2xJbcs.jpg

Knocking on a buncha doors leads to greetings... from monsters! He also happens upon some strange green glowy spots around town then finally finds a home with a human inside. Angeal's mother seems to recognize Zack based on what Angeal had told her about him "Zero attention span, restless as a little puppy." lol. She tells him that a month ago Genesis and a buncha guys took over the town and killed many of the townspeople. Angeal had visited home and left his sword behind. Zack says he'll take care of Angeal and that the nice old lady should go hide, but she's not budging. Before leaving he decides to do some poking around by taking 5 gil from her treasure chest and inspecting some family photos. The Buster Sword eh... Angeal's dad had that sword made for him in the hopes he'd become an honorable kind of guy and died shortly thereafter. As Zack steps outside he gets a call from Tseng...

LAST TIME: we found out that Princess Ovelia is a big fat phony. In this update, we manage to finally get to Lionel Castle and reach the conclusion of Chapter 2. RETS GO.

CHWWa.png
z81ML.png

When trying to access Lionel Castle, another message shows up letting you know where you're going. This is ALWAYS the sign that you're going into a multi-tiered battle with no chance of leaving until you complete the entire thing. That means no buying new supplies or items if you're running low. Whenever this appears to be the case, you should always double-check to make sure you're prepared. You should ALSO make sure to save in a separate slot just in case something awful happens and you can't escape.

u7qEX.png

We're only at the gate for now, but we know there's a battle. But there's nobody here. You would think there'd be somebody guarding the gate, or at least--

BSi93.png
MkshG.png

...an ambush. Gaffgarion is back AGAIN, and he's managed to catch you locked on one side of the gate while your party members are on the other. This means that, by regular means, your party members can't reach you to heal you or revive you or any of that good stuff. There's a way to circumvent that, though.

aRzKE.png

If you manage to step on that particular tile, Ramza Beef will open up the gate so your party members can walk through when they're not busy holding off the other enemy units attacking them. Until you do that, the gates will remain locked and Gaffgarion will continue to drain your health until one of you dies. In this particular fight, I had a Chemist with the Teleport ability, so healing myself wasn't an issue. We kill all the other units and leave Gaffgarion until we're done looting him, then strike the finishing blow.

imEGQ.png
sC8EU.png

hXxlX.png

Fun fact: the script was changed for Gaffgarion's final words to mimic Barbosa from the first PotC movie.

MEANWHILE, AT...

YKNaQ.png

mavYF.png
NdzOD.png

WSbwz.png
4s2t4.png

Delita is busy escorting Ovelia to her new home, all the while patronizing her - as he should! This mission is a PSP-exclusive, and you get to control Delita for a while as he protects Ovelia from soldiers.

YbmBP.png
ljrSv.png

I had a chuckle at this since I forgot that "swagger" has a different meaning in modern times.

w3Phq.png
PsEQk.png

Delita's fight is an easy one. He's got plenty of good Sword skills, and the enemies here don't generally put up a good fight.

NNEni.png
dxczg.png

pFBvR.png
fKanM.png

Oh Delita. What would we ever do if you ever suddenly became tactful?

We now return to Lionel Castle, where we arrive at the final fight of Chapter 2, which just so happens to be one of many "boss" fights. I clarify it as such because...well, just wait and see.

iXh4M.png
B2N7c.png

9SJID.png

He actually went and insulted Beef's mom? GOD DAMN. Who knew that "yo mama" jokes were so sophisticated back then?

vIX2A.png
NVFoI.png

YTcGc.png
bkuZP.png

Welp. He keeps making good points. But we have Protagonist Power, so we're good for now. Eventually, Beef gets tired of talking and demands to know where Ovelia is.

1EhWM.png
oBGch.png

wr4qB.png
8etVm.png

He's going for the "dude you should join us" line, like all villains do. Unfortunately, he goes in a different direction with it and tries to convince Beef to turn against his brothers. And while Beef is many things, being disloyal to his family is certainly not one of them.

QQRn4.png
FD7u4.png

...Although being dangerously genre blind is another one of Beef's endearing traits.

mJFUv.png
ZUCMj.png

"Can't change the world," he says. It's now time for the Cardinal to play his trump card, which means it's time for a transformation sequence. Remember in the last updates where he mentioned that those stones held power? Well we're about to see it firsthand.

QdvwG.png
Vj4MF.png

l3BLs.png
iTkTw.png

Cuchulainn (who went under a completely different name in the PS1 version) is our first "major" boss fight in the game, and one of several Lucavi that we're going to have to take down throughout the course of the game. The game signifies this as a "major" boss fight by hiding his stats from you completely. His HP/MP are represented by question marks, as are his Bravery and Faith stats (although they can still be lowered). He also has a signature attack called "Nightmare" which causes Sleep and/or Doom on everyone it hits (and it has a 100% hit rate, to boot). Simply put, he's pretty nasty to unprepared teams and can easily decimate you. After some lucky turns and...well, straight-up distractions from other party members, we manage to take him down.

LDsKe.png
CkfXC.png

CIVRi.png

I couldn't capture the KABOOM his body made properly, so you'll have to settle for the floating Zodiac Stone, which we add to our inventory.

NEXT TIME: We check out the Chapter 2 Epilogue, and the Chapter 3 Prologue!

Heropon

pnBoY.png
FXrpO.png

TIzmP.gif
Between Ordeals

Welcome to the Cloister of Trials. There are many people that hate this kind of places but I don't dislike them because they are relatively short and it's interesting to think a little sometimes. Tidus has to touch the walls and get green spheres to open paths.

S2dRV.png
2jjI1.png

The property of this temple's special sphere is illuminating wires and turn on displays (not in this temple). There's a hidden destruction sphere in a room opened by an obstruction sphere.

UMJhG.png
QKagz.png

Put the explosive sphere in the room where the Besaid sphere was and KABOOM!

TIzmP.gif
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Secret Sound

PUsk1.png
7RQ5G.png

TIzmP.gif
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Large Chest

Tidus can get then the secret treasure of this temple. It has a weapon for a character I don't have yet. Do you see that symbol? It means that I have broken an Anima seal. There is one in each temple with a cloister of trials. It's VERY important to get it now in the International version because at a certain point in the game Dark Valefor appears in front of the village, and well, that means you can't get Anima until it is dead. It may be the weakest Dark Aeon but I'm almost sure one wants Anima before attempting to kill it. Dark Valefor means that you can't get the last Jecht sphere until you kill it, so say goodbye to Auron's last overdrive until the post-game.

KpWDT.png
8iw3R.png

Tidus ends the trial and meets with cranky Lulu and mute Kimahri. They're obviously not pleased to see an stranger there. At last the apprentice summoner gets out of the fayth's chamber.

Vu2cv.png
Fa87n.png

She has completed the ritual and is now a summoner. She has to do a demonstration of her powers in the village square.

TIzmP.gif
The Summoning

ozqSR.png
gWym0.png

Here comes Bahamut jr. This summon is the most basic and has high evasion. It comes with the four basic elemental spells, but thanks to its lack of elemental absorption, it can't cure itself for now.

egTow.png
zLqz1.png

Look, it's like a pet! Bahamut jr.'s real name is Valefor.

uIQEU.png
qF39I.png

Tidus starts flirting with Yuna pretty soon but big bro Wakka doesn't like the idea of them being lovebirds. Yuna believes Tidus story about Zanarkand, how naive.

PpTLt.png
5VfdU.png

Tidus has already dreams with her and Rikku because he aspires to being a womanizer like Zidane, Cid Fabool and Steiner.

Ix1cT.png
OzK9T.png

Luckily, his father appears in the dream to break his illusions and say how ridiculous is the idea of him being with a girl. The vision of his father awakes him and thanks to that he can eavesdrop a conversation between Wakka and Lulu about his late brother.

Beat FF2 last night; the Emperor went down pretty easily with all the buffs I put on. I think there was one time I tried to actively grind stats, but I still was pretty strong versus the final boss.

I wish I played FF2 earlier than now, because I ended up liking it a lot. I think the PSP version's relatively low difficulty probably helped ease any frustration, though.

CorvoSol

Seems to me exit is just as useful, cheaper, and has two different uses.

TOAD MAKES IT RAIN TOADS FROM HEAVEN IT IS THE ULTIMATE MAGIC.

Unless we're talking Kingdom Hearts, then the Ultimate Magic is Balloonra. Balloonra >>>>>> MF.

Anyway, in FF6 I've collected all the optional Magicite save Crusader, Raiden, and Diabolos now. I guess I'll man up and hunt the last four dragons so I can have Crusader. I need to check and see if anything other than Odin teaches Meteor before I go and get Raiden. Once I have every other Magicite and my party is boss, I'll go ahead and get Diabolos from the Kaiser Dragon. Need to figure out how to get the Cursed Shield and Celestriad still. I'll do that for the next few minutes before school.

Beat Leviathan with only 2 Reed Cloaks because fighting to get more was a pain.

Ultratech

Seems to me exit is just as useful, cheaper, and has two different uses.

But does it turn enemies into Toads? I think not.

Nor does it call upon a torrent of Toads from the skies.

Plus, it can do this:

Protip: Doesn't work in the remakes. Final Boss will absorb it.

Besides, in the remakes, getting Toad to Lv16 changes the Snowcraft minigame to where you can win MUCH better stuff.

TOAD MAKES IT RAIN TOADS FROM HEAVEN IT IS THE ULTIMATE MAGIC.

Unless we're talking Kingdom Hearts, then the Ultimate Magic is Balloonra. Balloonra >>>>>> MF.

Anyway, in FF6 I've collected all the optional Magicite save Crusader, Raiden, and Diabolos now. I guess I'll man up and hunt the last four dragons so I can have Crusader. I need to check and see if anything other than Odin teaches Meteor before I go and get Raiden. Once I have every other Magicite and my party is boss, I'll go ahead and get Diabolos from the Kaiser Dragon. Need to figure out how to get the Cursed Shield and Celestriad still. I'll do that for the next few minutes before school.

Beat Leviathan with only 2 Reed Cloaks because fighting to get more was a pain.

Crusader teaches Meteor at a 10x rate. :D
Celestriads can be stolen from some enemy in the Arena, or you go beat up on some Brachiosaurs, hope they don't kill you, and pray it drops. I think there's also one sitting around in the Dragon's Den.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Besides, in the remakes, getting Toad to Lv16—
That sounds so tedious compared to hitting him approximately five times with the Blood Sword. :| I guess that weapon was less useful in the original?

BTW, how was anyone ever supposed to find out about the ship and snowcraft minigames in FF1 and 2? Was it just one of those things that you had to buy the guide to learn about, or was there some in-game hint that I missed?

Ultratech

That sounds so tedious compared to hitting him approximately five times with the Blood Sword. :| I guess that weapon was less useful in the original?

BTW, how was anyone ever supposed to find out about the ship and snowcraft minigames in FF1 and 2? Was it just one of those things that you had to buy the guide to learn about, or was there some in-game hint that I missed?

Huh? I guess you didn't highlight my spoiler. Toad 16 wouldn't even hit the Emperor since he has nearly maxed Magic Defense and would absorb it anyways. (The gif above is the result of a bug involving Wall in the original game.)

In the original, the Blood Sword still made the fight a joke, except you could get TWO of them.

http://i.imgur.com/m8K3q.png[IMG]

This was the worst moment.[/QUOTE]

The worst moment is when you have exactly 0:0:0, but find out you technically have to have less than that to get the Sigil. SO MUCH RAGE.

I swear, getting the Ultimate Weapons in FFX is one of the most annoying things ever.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Say, Heropon, how come your FFX screens look so "normal"? Since it's in Spanish, I guess you have to be playing the PAL version. That version normally looks a lot more squashed (at least as far as I remember).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
m8K3q.png

This was the worst moment.
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.
QffuC.gif

Just. Why. Why would Squaresoft do this to me?

She's harder then the damn final boss!

This entire affair makes me dread the trophy list for... well, I don't even know if FFX HD even exists anymore.

Edit: Anyway, the heaviest part of my week is out of the way, so I'll try to get an update done tonight. I'll make it shorter this time around. Probably just up to getting to the tower.

LAST TIME: we lost Ovelia, but managed to strike down Delacroix during the final battle of Chapter 2. Now, we see what happens afterward as we venture into Chapter 3.

After Delacroix's death, we are treated to a scene with Delita in some unknown location.

Gx73r.png
YQFQu.png

qCKcx.png
VidQ2.png

Turns out this is who Delita is now reporting to.

OXj8R.png
dS604.png

2bbfT.png

Well this certainly can't be good for him with all these powerhouses in here.

zAW2t.png
CY6wB.png

xI0r0.png

A traitor! And that guy is the first to jump up and deny it...even though nobody has named any names yet. Seems innocent enough!

iBWLA.png
GgQBX.png

I think you can already tell that this looks bad for the guy. :lol

qykfi.png
U1VCg.png

5iM5d.png
SeSUj.png

And the traitor is revealed! Who'da thunk it, right?

pEoJb.png
LcXyB.png

l8LyW.png
OjViQ.png

nANh1.png

And that's the end of him. Even when arguing against him, and without any proof besides one prisoner's words, he gets cut down.

hw76n.png
x8xve.png

x8xve.png
Fd8tq.png

With the Princess in their custody, they have the tools needed to try and overtake the crown. Of course, the Queen's army isn't going to stand by and watch them; they're going to respond with force.

We're then treated to a nice still followed by a text reading of what happened afterwards in the wake of Delacroix's death and the attempt to put Ovelia in the royal seat.

sLBcJ.png
Jsu41.png

VyH3w.png
R2EsQ.png

And now we know why the game is called what it is called! This ends Chapter 2, but we quickly move onwards to another scene, some time in the future, where the war is being discussed.

9cXJo.png
nWevK.png

Qq8bE.png

Hey, it's the Marquis of Elmdore that we rescued!

qfPlp.png
OlToG.png

Turns out that the war is draining their supplies, money, etc. Even the villagers are revolting and trying to head to new areas. Not only that, but the rations given to the soldiers are shitty at best. Cid wants to try and set a course for peace, but...

5VsqC.png
QH8zj.png

...OH BOY, MORE TAXES. What a great answer! :|

dzAcX.png
gKHYM.png

nks2L.png

...I would not want to call someone nicknamed "THUNDER GOD" a coward. But then again, I'm no duke.

Put3P.png
F4M2Z.png

d2rdv.png
cI3QY.png

...Why is it that everyone always thinks that they're so close to victory during abysmal conditions like this? It's the worst kind of military thinking, yet everybody in media does it. It's not like it doesn't end up biting them in the ass later...oh wait.

tWQJb.png
vNmN9.png

GYOVj.png
yhXbV.png

Cid isn't as tactless as Delita is, so his insults are way more professional. Delita would've just told him to shut up...or stabbed him. Either way works. With that though, the matter is over.

TChij.png
8Akq2.png

Without spoiling anything, I'm just gonna say that this war is going to bite EVERYONE in the ass.

XLo6K.png
f8nIY.png

qFZJM.png
mKxVd.png

We now have our new destination! Before I end this update, I'd like to mention that the next few updates are jam-packed. So much shit happened that it gave me 300+ screenshots, so I have to whittle them down and separate them into their own little folders before I can make more updates. Such is life!

NEXT TIME: we meet Cid's son!

Heropon

I swear, getting the Ultimate Weapons in FFX is one of the most annoying things ever.

I only have "problems" with the Ultima Weapon/Caladbolg because the minigame. Wakka's is simply repetitive, Auron's is part of the monster hunting quest, Yuna's is pretty easy, the cactuar sidequest isn't that horrible and who're Lulu and Kimahri? (I'm sorry Lulu, I know you killed Yunalesca and all that but magic starts being outclassed).

Say, Heropon, how come your FFX screens look so "normal"? Since it's in Spanish, I guess you have to be playing the PAL version. That version normally looks a lot more squashed (at least as far as I remember).

I don't know, the emulator says that the game renders internally at 512x416 (Except CG). I suppose the problem begins when it outputs to a TV...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have a problem with getting Kimahri's ultimate weapon because I can't see the butterflies at all. They blend in too well with the background and they're so tiny that I have to go up close to the TV to see it.

And I've only done Lulu's ultimate weapon once because I don't care about lightning.
oh ho ho ho ho

See, Square thought the same thing, that's why they added harder bosses.
Does that mean you have to race chocobos against them? That sounds hilarious. ;P

Nah, it's good that they added harder bosses in there, tbh. The game needed it.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Huh? I guess you didn't highlight my spoiler. Toad 16 wouldn't even hit the Emperor since he has nearly maxed Magic Defense and would absorb it anyways. (The gif above is the result of a bug involving Wall in the original game.)

In the original, the Blood Sword still made the fight a joke, except you could get TWO of them.
I read the spoiler, but didn't look too closely at the gif or realize it was the result of a bug. I assumed it was just Toad 16 instakilling the Emperor. :)

Also two Blood Swords sounds like hilarity.

CorvoSol

But does it turn enemies into Toads? I think not.

Nor does it call upon a torrent of Toads from the skies.

Plus, it can do this:

Protip: Doesn't work in the remakes. Final Boss will absorb it.

Besides, in the remakes, getting Toad to Lv16 changes the Snowcraft minigame to where you can win MUCH better stuff.

Crusader teaches Meteor at a 10x rate. :D
Celestriads can be stolen from some enemy in the Arena, or you go beat up on some Brachiosaurs, hope they don't kill you, and pray it drops. I think there's also one sitting around in the Dragon's Den.

GIF of the GODS. And yeah, I'm just gonna get Raiden if Crusader teaches Meteor at a better rate than Odin. And are Brachiosaurs immune to vanish-death or not? I guess I could pit Relm's control against them.

I'm having a hard time deciding: Which makes Terra into a more ungodly, unstoppable force of infinite destruction? Terra with two Ultima Weapons at max HP and Master's Scroll or Terra with the Soul of Thamasa and Celestriad and Quick-Ultima?

I think it's the latter, but the former seems much more straightforward, since I'd never be able to keep it straight in my head when I was allowed to cast Quick again. Can I use Quick and Ultima infinitely?

Ultratech

I only have "problems" with the Ultima Weapon/Caladbolg because the minigame. Wakka's is simply repetitive, Auron's is part of the monster hunting quest, Yuna's is pretty easy, the cactuar sidequest isn't that horrible and who're Lulu and Kimahri? (I'm sorry Lulu, I know you killed Yunalesca and all that but magic starts being outclassed).

Most of 'em aren't hard, but very annoying.

More specifically:
-Tidus: CHOCOBO RACING. *strangle*
-Kimahri: Let's chase butterflies! Another annoying minigame. Not near as bad as Tidus' crap at least.
-Lulu: I can do the lightning, it's just time-consuming and I can't reliably keep track of it, so I end up going over. I like the Onion Knight though.
-Wakka: Just annoying in that whether or not it shows up is random. I think I've only gotten it once in a playthrough.

CorvoSol

Stumbled across the "Celestriad Cycle" so now I have 4 of those and the Soul of Thamasa. Only the Dragons in Kefka's Tower left. I think I'll take this chance to teach the rest of the magic spells first, plus Strago's Lore, before I hike down into that thing. Not gonna bother even touching Gau because that's too much work. I'll still take him to see his dad, though.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Genesis has been added to the character section of the OP!

Information overload, man! As a society, we're drowning in a quagmire of vid-clips, e-mail, and sound bites; we can't absorb it all! There's only one sane solution: blow it up!

Pt.5 "Outbreak:Genesis"

ieZBcbwHCuuWa.jpg
izNCZVbxPw3El.jpg

Up to the cliffs goes Zack, making note of a couple more of those green streams along the way. He learns from Tseng that Genesis killed his own family and that Angeal prolly can't be trusted. Zack insists he can bring the big guy back which is what Sephiroth hopes he can do, since his whole reason for refusing this assignment was that he didn't want to attack his only two friends in the world. Now attacking from the front'd be dumb so he and Tseng let themselves in through some windows on the upper floor. They're attacked by lots more copies and stolen Shinra weaponry as they make their way through the relatively small factory. They soon discover this is where the copies are being made!

ibs7H1oDxUQBTm.jpg
iOQDnL5Fnyi8m.jpg

ibc5dbeYR9ga3I.jpg
ixTQcg5Wttyar.jpg

"Infinite in mystery is the gift of the goddess; We seek it thus, and take to the sky; Ripples form on the water's surface; The wandering soul knows no rest." ...? This poetic guy turns out to be the real Genesis! He admits to killing his "parents" without a second thought since they'd allegedly betrayed him from day one. That justifies turning good men into his own personal clone army how? Ya got me! He lightly roasts Tseng and when Zack moves in to retaliate he finds his sword stolen in a flash! Hey, its Angeal!

i7NlJkzaNLGix.jpg
i8XJW7nrvH6O.jpg

izD9U8iP3gCh3.jpg
iVy5ELc3CmeWo.jpg

He may have stopped the attack on Genesis but apparently he's not intent on joining him either. What's this guys angle anyway? Dunno but both guys take off seperately. Zack starts to give chase but there's no time for that! "All evidence of misconduct must be erased. Company rules." What?! That hardly seems necessary! Meanwhile Genesis's forces decide to cause some more trouble and it's up to Zack to slice down the cannon shells shot his way! We've already seen twice that he's good at dodging bullets so it should come to no surprise that he was able to take out all 10 shells. Now he has just 60 seconds to get to Angeal's house! He's quick enough to obtain loot from all 5 of those green glowy spots and make if to his proper destination with seconds to spare!

iX3cqMH9attD0.jpg
ibeQGb5deEbcW.jpg

iPsmAFkkZRPq7.jpg
iwGQVbU4N5a6b.jpg

Being the nice guy that he is however, Tseng had delayed the airstrike so Angeal's mom could be saved. He also pays Zack for having taken out those cannon shells. A measily 100 gil per shell and a 500 gil bonus for getting them all. Geez, it's not like Zack was risking his life out there or anything! Inside the house he finds the mom slain by her own son. Zack gives Angeal abit of a thrashing but gets no good reason as to why she had to die. Angeal up and walks away while Zack is made to eat dirt when Genesis trips him! "My friend, do you fly away now? To a world that abhors you and I? All that awaits you is a somber morrow; No matter where the winds may blow" "Shutup!" Genesis wanted to play with Sephiroth but Zack'll have to do.

ibvvDMzpEYvvET.jpg
ibkAmanFAjTCZB.jpg

Bahamut isn't as simple as Ifrit! It can fly around and get in some pretty hard to hit places. Plus there's nothing in particular to guard against its Mega Flare! The Barrier spell helped but that attack still hurt alot! Fortunately right afterwards Zack was able to strike back super hard with a full powered Rush Assualt to finish the summon off. Hand to hand vs magic dragon? I'm okay with that! For his hard earned victory he snags the Bahamut materia and mouths off to Genesis, saying summons aren't meant to be used like that!

iq0Do6rdH5cNr.jpg
iVljXpd08tNLc.jpg

He questions the dudes dreams & honor and Genesis responds by showing off his single black wing and saying monsters like him have neither of those qualities. He takes to the sky, leaving behind an astounded Zack and a trail of feathers. "SOLDIER... doesn't mean monster." that's right!! But still there's no times for deep thinking because: explosions!

iblX19zfWmae42.jpg
ioTdet7Gf95C0.jpg

ilnksma88Y9nj.jpg
ibiHpMhvKkZ7Gy.jpg

Ya, remember that airstrike? It's happening! Our hero books it outta town as it gets bombed into the ground. This may seem like overkill since everyone there was dead and it appeared to be a pretty rural place, but to Shinra it's a completely sane tactic. He makes it to their escape copter and takes one look back at the burning town. He hadn't been able to save anyone or anything~

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You know...

I can't help but to not like how the Crisis Core models look now, especially in CG stuff. Zack's in-game model is okay most of the time, as is Cloud's, Tseng's and Aeris's, but everyone else...

Man, some of those CG images look kinda... off.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
FFX looks like it holds up in the nice-looking department.

Lil Delita, Lil Ovelia, Lil Dycedarg... my memories of this stuffs slowly but surely coming back to me!

Well final fantasy 6 has limit breaks as well, and even though they are far more frequent in 6, the same rule applies to both. Limit breaks aren't a big reason to pick characters in either game. (with few exceptions) I would have used Yuffie in my party if her being a thief mattered in the game. As it turns out cloud can steal and every other special ability, so it doesn't matter.
FFVI has limit breaks?! I musta erased more of that game from my memory than I thought! Its still nice ta use other characters just because. Keep things fresh, have some different peoples to look at in battle and scenes from time to time.

That has gotta be one of the silliest looking "serious" scenes ever!

You know...

I can't help but to not like how the Crisis Core models look now, especially in CG stuff. Zack's in-game model is okay most of the time, as is Cloud's, Tseng's and Aeris's, but everyone else...

Man, some of those CG images look kinda... off.
I think the in-game models are pretty fine, better when in motion. That chapter 3 cg Zack looked way off model as you say! Chapter 1 stuff was fine and prolly where they blew most of their budget lol.

CorvoSol

1. I hate Genesis, but you'll all hear more about that once I've beaten FF6. Have fun!

2. That scene with the Chocobos marks the moment I KNEW that FFT was all about being crazy awesome forever. I guess that objectively it's silly, but it's something I wish they'd shown off more in Type-0. I mean, Suzaku's mounted troops ride Chocobos (as opposed to Milites' Magitek Armor and Concordia's Dragons) but the RTS sections NEVER give you anything beyond the usual troops and one airship.

After a certain point Chocobos become useless, though, because you get the Airship which is like, way faster.

LAST TIME: we found out that the war is draining the resources from both sides, and that the Duke doesn't give a shit. SHOCKER. Cid tried to make plans for peace, and the Duke still didn't give a shit. In this update, we get to meet one of the relatives of the "Thunder God" himself.

rU0FT.png
xcPvt.png

61uY2.png
V5TVZ.png

"Angry" voices. Glad they decided to let us know that. It's also hard to take a thief seriously when he's dressed like that. And it would also be a good idea to not snoop around in big, seemingly abandoned houses.

oiH2Q.png
lxe5Q.png

Little known fact: Prof. Beef moonlights as a man by the name of Captain Obvious. But either way, we decide to help this guy out. Most of the enemies here have good lootables too. Two of them have guns which I can use for two of my party members. How nice!

vQRB8.png
iivOf.png

Orran ("THUNDER GOD" Cid's son), as he is called, fights alongside you in this mission, and he comes equipped with a VERY handy move called Celestial Stasis. Aside from having a really cool animation, it inflicts Stop, Disable, and Immobilize on all enemies on the field. It's Faith-based, so it has a chance of missing, but it's still fucking amazing when it lands. Orran spends most of the fight casting this when he can, which allows me to steal as much as I need. Once we're done, we end the fight and kill the guy with the goofy hat.

lDRpK.png
6IpuR.png

GERvy.png

Yay, I'm famous! Let's not bother asking why I'm famous though...

4J0yC.png
ZM3Kx.png

zL5r3.png
zgOyb.png

This means that Orran won't be joining the party. As a matter of fact, this is the only fight where Orran fights with you in the entire game (and no, this isn't setting up some surprise where you have to fight him later in the story). Very sad stuff...even if I only like Celestial Stasis.

7j25E.png
mit0R.png

DOHhS.png

Yeah, yeah. Thanks a bunch. :(
Either way, we've got to move on. We finally make it back to Lesalia, where Beef intends to let Zalbaag know exactly what Dycedarg has been planning this entire time.

66bZR.png

...I'll stand, thanks.

LtpOj.png
ErEhe.png

Ah, Alma. I wonder how she's...wait, that's not why we're here.

njXNQ.png
tsjL1.png

"Nonsense?" This isn't going to end well. D:

M0f9I.png
gqszV.png

yp0Hr.png
XnTfi.png

Free life lesson: when you have to say "you don't understand" to someone, it usually means they're not going to listen to your side anymore after that.

yFHaV.png
JGBe6.png

uLF5Y.png

See what I mean? Then again, it's hard to convince people of anything at all when you sound like a conspiracy theorist with no physical proof.

o5vIG.png
8YLjf.png

n6YPC.png
YCDEk.png

Aw crap, we did it now.

8iRB4.png
1WQxR.png

Aw come on, Zalbaag! Stop being a jerk!

X0AGy.png
BPtWT.png

SzMGG.png

....he really just went there. What is it about Beef that makes it so everyone wants to make fun of his mama? Oh, and obligatory reaction to a "yo mama" line:

^ Make sure to click on that if you want the audio version.

9ke7V.png

Oh, I'm pretty sure he did. Before he can get another chance to crack wise about my mama some more, one of his troops barges in.

wa9sO.png
6ot12.png

Nusfx.png
8zlFI.png

You can't stop Cid. They call him the THUNDER GOD for a reason.

NEXT TIME: we get to talk to our sister! I bet SHE won't make any "yo mama" jokes. :(

Heropon

MdTUk.png
9eCX8.png

After some nightmares the next day comes and Yuna and her slaves guardians have to leave Besaid to do a leisure trip around the world. Wakka keeps remembering his brother when he sees Tidus and gives him his brother's sword. Yuna appears wants to bring lots of baggage. Luckily for the guardians, they say two words and she is already convinced to not bring it. But she is pretty lazy and leaves her equipment in the middle of the village.

7AlVY.png
BZaww.png

Before leaving, there's one thing we need to do. The shop girl says something about how her dog has picked up something from the ground. If we go to the house with looms and "talk" to the dog, Valefor learns a second overdrive: Energy Blast. It's more powerful than Energy Ray but slower, so it's a good move to overkill bosses.

6piZr.png
8qKns.png

Tutorial time, rock-paper-scissors: Tidus has ★★★★☆ agility and ★★★★☆ accuracy so he can kill the high speed enemies (wolves and lizards). Wakka has ★★★★★ accuracy and ★★★☆☆ strength (for now) so he can kill the high evasion flying enemies (birds, wasps and floating eyes) in one hit, but not the wolves.

kYZGe.png
fw3FK.png

Flans and elements are weak to magic and strong against physical attacks, so Lulu has to kill them with the opposite element. This battle also explains the elemental weaknesses: Fire enemies are weak to ice (?), ice enemies are weak to fire (ok), electric enemies are weak to water and aquatic enemies are weak to electricity.
Ghosts and demons are weak to holy, but that's a secret

XNpI1.png

L5zmk.png
phop9.png

Tidus has a visual filter that allows him to know if a word is in Albhed or not. Yuna's furry friend doesn't forgive that he was going to being abandoned in the island and attacks Tidus.

thwnH.png
CPPqA.png

I raise the attack and defense with Cheer and try to kill it then. He wants to do a big hole in Tidus' body, but it isn't ready yet for piercings.

Kimahri as a character: He's is the very definition of Jack of all trades, master of none. Right now he's a mini Auron but as there aren't armoured enemies right now his only saving grace is above average attack. To the bench!

Kr979.png
cg5z8.png

More tutorials! This battle teaches the switch system and to use Aeons to kill big monsters.

h8KTG.png
rRA8c.png

Here comes Valefor. It has good attack, good magic and a special attack that is a little weak but it can add turns. Kimahri wishes he could be like Valefor.

RfBHy.png
MeFEl.png

The last tutorial teaches to use Wakka as the "status inducer" and use status effects (dark) to not let the enemy do damage. There is a battle later to use the adquired skills in monster slaying skills.

The roles of the characters right now are:
-Tidus: Fighter.
-Wakka: Fighter and status inducer.
-Lulu: Mage and major damage dealer.
-Yuna: Healer and multiple more roles thanks to Aeons.
-Kimahri: Fighter.

Yuna learns Nulblaze and Tidus learns Flee on the way.

rFb5M.png
zXI3g.png

Goodby, lady Yuna! Until the next update.

CorvoSol

So I'm still slugging away in the Maranda Desert, maxing out on spells before going into Kefka's Tower to slay some Dragons. Why does the Cursed Shield take so long to uncurse? Sabin, Setzer and Cyan have all had the stupid thing and it STILL is cursed. By the time I uncurse it, the only person who hasn't learned Ultima will be Gau!

Also, Terra's HP is 7200+. Does anybody know if Ultima Weapon's damage output is effected by STR in addition to HP? Because presently she only does about 3200 damage per hit (via Master Scroll and Genji Glove). I haven't bothered building her magic up because frankly it's a waste. Ultima does max damage to all enemies and I can just put the Soul of Thamasa and Celestriad on her to chuck 5 of those at a time. If I can get UW to do max damage a hit via the GJMS then it will have outclassed SoTC.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ultima Weapon/Atma Weapon's damage output is calculated as follows:

-Damage is calculated based on what level you're at + your current HP compared to your max HP, even if its stats are 255 ATK.
-When HP is low, its attack decreases - the sword sprite will be smaller
-When HP is high, its attack increases - you can tell this by how big the sword is how much damage it'll output
-At max HP, it'll do more damage, and the sword sprite will be really long, and it'll look like blink was cast on it

There's a bunch of middle calculations (like Damage Output = BatPwr + [(Lv^2 * ATK)/256] *3/2, but you don't need to know base damage output in general because we're just talking about the Atma Weapon), but all you need to know is the damage modifiers for the Atma Weapon:

DMG' = (DMG * Current Lv)
DMG'' = (DMG' * [[(Current HP divided by 256)+1) / [(Max HP / 256)+1]]
DMG''' = DMG''/64 + 1

The Atma Weapon modifications are done after the stat calculations which take into account for vigour, additional equip, etc, iirc. You could try, but I'm not sure if it'll take advantage of it. I should probably check that...

OH. I forgot, if Locke uses it with Capture, it'll act like a normal weapon with 255 damage. Honestly, the implementation of the Ultima Weapon wasn't done well until Final Fantasy VII.

Top Bottom