• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2012 (Sep 10 - Sep 16)

Vinnk

So didn't have much time at al this week. New baby was born, but I had a chance to stop at a really large recycle shop. Tones of used Vita stuff. I think the biggest thing hurting Vita numbers is the amount of mint-condition used hardware on the market. Before and during the Miku-bump people were trading in or swaping a lot of hardware, flooding the used market. So used vita prices are way down. I have seen boxed new-looking vita units for 15,000yen. If I was looking for a Vita, I would see no reason to buy new.

There are a lot of used 3DS units available too. When the LL came out a lot of people traded the smaller units in. Luckily for Nintendo only part of their sales do not come from the hardcore gaming enthusiast market. Casual gamers pick up 3DS units at department stores and other places that only sell new games. It may be hurting new 3DS sales to "gamers" but I believe the impact is less. Maybe it's a stereotype on my part, but I think the people buying Persona and Miku are a lot more likely to shop at actual game stores than those looking for Mario and Art Academy.

Kazerei

Banned
Vita is really close to crossing streams with Dreamcast.

fXy4i.png

Weekly and cumulative Dreamcast sales over the next month. Week numbers are launch-aligned.

Code:
Week  SDC     SDC (c)  PSV    PSV (c)
 40   27,652  907,391  8,684  925,989
 41   26,453  933,844
 42   19,686  953,530
 43   15,284  968,814
 44   16,569  985,383

Vita will get a boost week 42, thanks to new software releases, namely EDF3P, LBXW and Ys.

Media-Create's Vita numbers are much higher, but I don't have M-C Dreamcast numbers for comparison.

If Sony consider their ideal Vita markets to be in the West, then they are idiots beyond compare and the Vita has no future.

The Western market that the Vita is aiming at has zero interest in handheld gaming.

Beyond this, what did SCEE show at Gamescom, exactly? They announced a total of one new software title (Tearaway, which looks great but is absolutely not a system-seller), killed a ton of interest in what was supposed to be one of their two big holiday titles for the system (Declassified), and ruled out a price cut this year.

I mean, they certainly did a much better job than SCEA did of acting like they cared about Vita's fortunes, but nothing they showed gave any indication that they're either willing or able to do anything to change them.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So didn't have much time at al this week. New baby was born, but I had a chance to stop at a really large recycle shop. Tones of used Vita stuff. I think the biggest thing hurting Vita numbers is the amount of mint-condition used hardware on the market. Before and during the Miku-bump people were trading in or swaping a lot of hardware, flooding the used market. So used vita prices are way down. I have seen boxed new-looking vita units for 15,000yen. If I was looking for a Vita, I would see no reason to buy new.

There are a lot of used 3DS units available too. When the LL came out a lot of people traded the smaller units in. Luckily for Nintendo only part of their sales do not come from the hardcore gaming enthusiast market. Casual gamers pick up 3DS units at department stores and other places that only sell new games. It may be hurting new 3DS sales to "gamers" but I believe the impact is less. Maybe it's a stereotype on my part, but I think the people buying Persona and Miku are a lot more likely to shop at actual game stores than those looking for Mario and Art Academy.

Wow, congrats man... :)
Guess you have much going on right now, still hoping for a new Famicast Dojo episode after TGS :)

Beyond this, what did SCEE show at Gamescom, exactly? They announced a total of one new software title (Tearaway, which looks great but is absolutely not a system-seller), killed a ton of interest in what was supposed to be one of their two big holiday titles for the system (Declassified), and ruled out a price cut this year.

I mean, they certainly did a much better job than SCEA did of acting like they cared about Vita's fortunes, but nothing they showed gave any indication that they're either willing or able to do anything to change them.

Congrats Vinnk. Anyway, this is completely correct. Sony's Gamescom was the bare minimum they had to do to show they actually still cared about the system. They announced one new Vita IP that probably won't sell Vita to anyone who wasn't already interested. Call of Duty looks and sounds abysmal, and we already have seen Liberation at E3. Now in comparison to Japan where the holiday lineup is god awful beyond belief this is pretty good having both AC, LittleBigPlanet, and Call of Duty for the holiday, but if last night finally got rid of most of the wait for ___ for Japanese games I imagine the same will be true come November in terms of the west.

Anyway onto another topic, I have to wonder if Nintendo is happy or not with the current sales of the 3DS. I imagine they'll finally give in and cut their projected forecast come next financials.

Vinnk

Wow, congrats man... :)
Guess you have much going on right now, still hoping for a new Famicast Dojo episode after TGS :)

Yeah, because of the new baby I couldn't go to TGS this year. Next year hopefully. But new eps of the show and podcast will be coming from next week.

VICI0US

I have to wonder if Nintendo is happy or not with the current sales of the 3DS. I imagine they'll finally give in and cut their projected forecast come next financials.

if you're refering to the west, I don't think the XL/NSMB2 "re-launch" had quite the impact they were hoping for. I think part of the problem is the DS still being as relevant as it is over here. it's still putting out 100k+ a month in the NPD, is available for roughly half the price of a 3DS, and has an amazing library of games available on the cheap. Once the DS fades out over here things will hopefully pick up for the 3DS.

RM8

Nintendo just will have to happily accept GBA-ish numbers now that a big part of their market doesn't mind settling for phone games. Something like DS is just never going to happen again. I'm okay as long as they keep releasing handhelds.

TunaLover

Vita failure is meaningless, Sony is a big corporation that can afford multiples failures in a row, they can infinitely blood money too.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nintendo just will have to happily accept GBA-ish numbers now that a big part of their market doesn't mind settling for phone games. Something like DS is just never going to happen again. I'm okay as long as they keep releasing handhelds.

For Japan ? I doubt they would be settling for lower sales than PSP did... of course 3DS wont reach +30 million, but more than 20 million should be possible...

RM8

Yeah, I mean worldwide. Should have stated that since this is about Japanese numbers, sorry about that. I see 3DS being Japan's main system this gen, and I salivate at that thought.

So didn't have much time at al this week. New baby was born, but I had a chance to stop at a really large recycle shop.

So why isn't he (or she?) present in this week chart?
Btw, congrats Vinnk!

Thought here and there:

-TTT2 sold poorly; being a really complete entry in the series, I thought it would have sold at least 100k during the first week (PS3+360) but I was just wrong! Maybe because: saturation of the market, too much time from the arcade version, people just tired of Tekken (and Street Fighter)?

-at this point, the new Project Diva will hardly reach the 250k mark; maybe with downloads, but wasn't Sega expecting at least that numbers for just the retail release? Vita is struggling as well; there's nothing that could help it to reach at least the 30k mark on a weekly basis; new colours will do something, and Christmas as well, but wow.

-I think New Art Academy debuted nicely, and will sell well over time; it's not that the original one sold like crazy, it might do 200k units when it's all said and done.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
These Tekken numbers make me also rethink at that flop which has been Tekken 3D: Prime Edition and...at this point, it's clear the problem was not just the quality of the game, but the brand itself too. I thought it would have done better too...

The Vita - it's not that they are historically stronger, I think Sony sees an "in"...or thought they had one, with Vita. They are feeling they could have more future success in the west than in JP, therefore they would be stronger Performing in the west than in Japan.

I own a Vita and I'm flabbergasted at its stall. It's a beautiful machine and it's disappointing to see such a forward device panned so badly by the audience. I'm also extraordinarily happy with my 3DS XL and I see why it's succeeding, too. Weird times.

http://www.********.com/analysis/platform_totals/

When you add the west together (NA + EU) it's nearly double the sales of Vita total in JP, thereby I do believe Sony 'thinks' theyll gain greater by focusing on a western market instead of traditional JP market. See: Uncharted, KillZone, Resistance, LBP , Unit 13, , Tearaway, COD, AC3 - all of their bigger eggs and third party eggs are eyeballing the west harder.

I wonder why Sony in general is giving up on JP, though
Hello. Please do not link to or cite from that website.

Cheers.

I wonder why Sony in general is giving up on JP, though

I imagine SCE believed during Vita's planning stages that they still had some semblance of leverage over third parties, and thus would have little to no trouble securing Japanese support equivalent to what PSP got, particularly MH and exclusive Square Enix RPGs. They were disastrously wrong about that, and had no backup plan.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm actually amazed that there isn't more talk about TTT2's decidedly flat numbers.

I wonder if SxT poisoned the well?

Spiegel

It will be amazing if PSP is the best selling Sony hardware in these last few months of the year. At the very least it is going to outsell the Vita thanks to the pricedrop.

Weekly and cumulative Dreamcast sales over the next month. Week numbers are launch-aligned.

Code:
 41   26,453  933,844
 42   19,686  953,530
 43   15,284  968,814
 44   16,569  985,383

Vita will get a boost week 42, thanks to new software releases, namely EDF3P, LBXW and Ys.

Media-Create's Vita numbers are much higher, but I don't have M-C Dreamcast numbers for comparison.

Wow I really haven't paid attention to that chart in a while, wow Dreamcast motoring up in the last few weeks, the streams should cross next week or week after (I can't see those 3 games doing much for vita)

I'm actually amazed that there isn't more talk about TTT2's decidedly flat numbers.

I wonder if SxT poisoned the well?

It surprises me, too. I'm not following the fighting scene at all, but from what I've heard TTT2 was pretty well received in arcades and the home console version is apparently really good with no strings attached. Weird.

Road

Off-topic.

Does anyone know what the "P" means in the codes Nintendo assigns to games?

Example: Pokemon Red - DMG-P-APAJ.

Some places use the P, others don't (just DMG-APAJ).

Bruno MB

These Tekken numbers make me also rethink at that flop which has been Tekken 3D: Prime Edition and...at this point, it's clear the problem was not just the quality of the game, but the brand itself too. I thought it would have done better too...

Tekken 3D: Prime was a big flop even though the brand is not what it used to be. On the contrary Dead or Alive 5 will be an interesting title to follow. Dead or Alive: Dimensions sold 30,597 units in its launch and it was badly perceived sales-wise, let's see how well a new main title does.

Kazerei

Banned
Wow I really haven't paid attention to that chart in a while, wow Dreamcast motoring up in the last few weeks, the streams should cross next week or week after (I can't see those 3 games doing much for vita)

Dreamcast just got Seaman and Soul Calibur in weeks 36 and 37 (launch-aligned) respectively. Gave it a nice sustained boost :)

I guess I'm a bit more optimistic, because I think Vita can stay ahead for the next two weeks. It needs to sell 27.5k during that time, so 8k next week and 20k the week after would be enough. It's going to be close though.

Vita year 1 < Dreamcast year 1 is a certainty. We just have to wait a little longer...

Dreamcast just got Seaman and Soul Calibur in weeks 36 and 37 (launch-aligned) respectively. Gave it a nice sustained boost :)

I guess I'm a bit more optimistic, because I think Vita can stay ahead for the next two weeks. It needs to sell 27.5k during that time, so 8k next week and 20k the week after would be enough. It's going to be close though.

Vita year 1 < Dreamcast year 1 is a certainty. We just have to wait a little longer...

I don't see it quite hitting 20k the week after next, 17 or 18k I reckon

Danielsan

I love how the PS2 is still charting over a 1000 units per week. It would be kind of amazing to see the Wii sales slide down the gutter once the Wii U is released and see it being outsold by the PS2.

I love how the PS2 is still charting over a 1000 units per week. It would be kind of amazing to see the Wii sales slide down the gutter once the Wii U is released and see it being outsold by the PS2.

Depends how Nintendo treat the wii after the u launch, if they try just kill it off then maybe, given a price cut however it'll probably have a long life ahead as a budget console

muu

How can they when there is nothing to wait for

well, they had their blind optimism up for months despite all signs pointed towards jack shit in terms of surprises coming down our way, at least nothing big enough to save the system from where it is now. I figured at least some of them would be up for waiting till next year's E3 or something.

BTW, regarding the TGS showing... was it just me or is Marvelous overreaching with these new sets of Vita games? I'm not against new IPs or anything, but it seemed they were the only one that was going full-bore with the system. Kagura on Vita could very well hurt the IP as web blogs start fake inflammatory posts that incite people to fight over which system is the mainline.

well, they had their blind optimism up for months despite all signs pointed towards jack shit in terms of surprises coming down our way, at least nothing big enough to save the system from where it is now. I figured at least some of them would be up for waiting till next year's E3 or something.

Well I'm sure even the most die hard vita loyalists (all 3 of them) have given up on monster hunter by now and they can't be blamed for forgetting about ff10 as even SE have too

Code:
 41   26,453  933,844
 42   19,686  953,530
 43   15,284  968,814
 44   16,569  985,383

I thought that 50k boost would keep Vita above Dreamcast a little longer, I hadn't realized how close they were. Next week, it will finally happen. O_O

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
The Vita trolling in these topics have become legendary. At first I didn't care because of all of the trolling 3DS received before the price cut. But now it just seems like its too much.

Even if TGS doesn't have a bunch of turnaround announcements for Vita, that still doesn't mean the system is going to die or needs to die. Such sentiments are ridiculous.

Sony proved that a platform can do average to bad for 2 plus years and still make a great comeback. All it takes is the right price with the right game to start it off the right path. That game, most likely, won't be MonHun this time, but it could be a new great game with that same addictive format.

Even if TGS doesn't have a bunch of turnaround announcements for Vita, that still doesn't mean the system is going to die or needs to die. Such sentiments are ridiculous.

Everybody who says this doesn't realize just how badly the Vita is selling. When we are talking about crossing streams with the Dreamcast, a bit of doom talk is not only warranted, but is an intelligent conclusion.

Sony proved that a platform can do average to bad for 2 plus years and still make a great comeback. All it takes is the right price with the right game to start it off the right path. That game, most likely, won't be MonHun this time, but it could be a new great game with that same addictive format.

Sony has never had sales this bad. We can talk about wishing on a star for a miracle all day, but that doesn't really seem fruitful. Reality is bleak sometimes. That's not trolling, it's cold, hard facts. If the Vita doesn't get its shit together, retailers will stop carrying it. We have no reason to predict that something will save it. This is the situation.

I don't want the Vita to fail. I don't think anybody here does. But we're not here to talk about what we want, we're here to talk about what is happening.

Top Bottom