• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently: Return of the Revenge of the Curse of the...

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Watched Cabin in the Woods again. God damn that movie is amazing. Its popularity has spread throughout my company. I saw it, then tried to convince one guy to see it, and he eventually saw it. Now the company manager saw it and is telling everyone else to see it. yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh!!!

The Road to El Dorado
Haven't seen it in probably a decade, didn't remember much. Beautiful animation marred by awful cgi. The dialogue is fantastic, very much a movie for all audiences and not just kids. Really enjoyed it.

_Isaac

220px-Contact_ver2.jpg

Yes? And?

Whoa there! I know that, in a rare lapse :)p), you didn't think much of The Bicycle Thief, but there's no need to mock somebody about to watch one of history's great films, even if the jest is completely and utterly deserved based on the comment that he made!

Edit: Just watched a mostly-pretty-crummy little noir called The Chase. It mostly sucked, with very flat and lazy acting by just about everybody (especially Peter Lorre), but there were a few visually nice moments, I guess. And the fact that
the middle act of the film was all a dream
actually got me, mostly because the plot of most noir films is so contrived in the first place that it's pretty much impossible to tell when it's slipped into a subjective mode.

Snow White and the Huntsman (2011)

Fellowship of the Snow White. It's so contrived. It was hard watching Steward trying to give a war speech with that accent. It's a good thing they didn't give her too many lines. Theron was the best part. One thing I wondered was whether Snow White was carrying the one ring, considering the Nazgul easily found her anywhere she went. Not a very big Forest I suppose, or maybe only one path lol.

1.5/4

haikira

Said it before in the Prometheus thread. Really sick of these witchhunts on pirates. It's best to remember films don't release universally the same day as the states. Heck, we're not even getting Cloud Atlas here in the UK until February 22nd. I predict i'll get called out as a pirate, when i try to talk about it then.

harSon

Banned
Said it before in the Prometheus thread. Really sick of these witchhunts on pirates. It's best to remember films don't release universally the same day as the states. Heck, we're not even getting Cloud Atlas here in the UK until February 22nd. I predict i'll get called out as a pirate, when i try to talk about it then.

I apologize if I was incorrect, but 99% of the time these threads are miraculously bumped on the very same day that movies leak onto the internet, and begin to pick up in activity thereafter. Either foreign releases always conveniently coincide with these leaks, or people are pirating films, and considering the frequency that this occurs and the prevalence of pirating in general, I'd place money on the latter being the rule and not the exception. A lot of the people I see doing this are American Gaffers... Obviously there's going to be exceptions though.

I still don't see anything indicating Cosmopolis being released in India this week, or at all, but I'll take his word and give him the benefit of the doubt. As previously mentioned, I apologize for including you under this umbrella for those that have legitimately paid to see these films.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
a) movie releases in India +
b) movie leaks online at the same time =
c) all Indians are pirates.

C4Lukins

I just saw the five year engagement. That was an enjoyable mess. It is like most Apatow films with a very strange balance of being ridiculous and funny and then suddenly getting all emotional on you. It is a mess, but a worthy mess.

Cabin In the Woods, I loved it. Self aware but not so much that it gets annoying. A very clever dissection of a terrible sub genre of horror.

Battleship. I may have mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I just want to make it known once again that this is a horrible film. Not fun horrible, just bad horrible.

The Raid: Redemption. Awesome movie. Just pure joy throughout. A very simple idea done perfectly. See that movie.

I apologize if I was incorrect, but 99% of the time these threads are miraculously bumped on the very same day that movies leak onto the internet, and begin to pick up in activity thereafter. Either foreign releases always conveniently coincide with these leaks, or people are pirating films, and considering the frequency that this occurs and the prevalence of pirating in general, I'd place money on the latter being the rule and not the exception. A lot of the people I see doing this are American Gaffers... Obviously there's going to be exceptions though.

I still don't see anything indicating Cosmopolis being released in India this week, or at all, but I'll take his word and give him the benefit of the doubt. As previously mentioned, I apologize for including you under this umbrella for those that have legitimately paid to see these films.

what are you getting out of this

AniHawk

saw the first mission: impossible for the first time since i was 10 or so. i was able to follow it this time. i kinda appreciate the way it took its time, and i really loved the general look of the movie- sort of like what the 70s imagined the 90s would be, with a little bit of actual 90s thrown in.

Timbuktu

I just saw the five year engagement. That was an enjoyable mess. It is like most Apatow films with a very strange balance of being ridiculous and funny and then suddenly getting all emotional on you. It is a mess, but a worthy mess.

Saw Five year engagement on a plane last week. Yeah, it did become a mess, more and more as the film went on Segel's character became unbelievable. At some point when they both got with other people, it felt like the right thing would be for them never to get back together again, they were hard to root for as a couple. Anyway, what struck me from the film was how casually racist it can be.

There are all of Violet's father's girlfriends who don't have names and then that song about the exes his friend sang he just said, "this Korean, that Korean" instead of saying their names. It was supposed to be funny I guess but i was just reminded about that thread here a month or so back about that asian girl would only date white guys because she knows she is racist against her own race and wants to become more white or something. And this is how Asian girls who date white guys are seen... Call me sensitive, but just struck me as something wrong.

Ashhong

I don't think there's a thread, so I just saw End of Watch, and it was pretty awesome. Not much to say except the climax of the movie was fucking intense. First person shooting done right, awesome.

Probably the single best work of fictional narrative cinema since the new millennium began.
I am ok with this. I am surprised you feel this way though, considering you always talk up subtlety and Shame isn't exactly subtle.
Please do, and share your opinion. I asked you because what you said about Shame was very similar to how I felt about A Separation.
I really have to watch A Separation again. I remember feeling underwhelmed when I saw it. Not that I didn't like it, because it was good, but it didn't blow me away or anything. My favorite parts were the interactions between the little girl and the old man.

Robot 492

Banned
Huh, I don't really feel strongly about The Master either way. I think I will need to see it again, but I have never been this mixed on a PTA film before. Huh.

Also, A Separation and Shame are not really even in the same league of filmmaking.

Damn, A Separation must really suck, then.

Seriously, Shame is so unbelievably, ridiculously excellent that I honestly wouldn't know where to begin in singing its praises. the fantastic acting? the great writing? The beautiful cinematography? The dynamic and interesting use of music?

Don't get me wrong - it ain't a PLEASANT movie by any means, except in the very loose sense of it being very pleasurable to witness great art. But nearly everything about it is pitch-perfect.

It and Oasis would probably be two of the better films released in the new millennium, and both are incredibly difficult to watch due to the nature of the characters that they follow.

Seriously, Shame is so unbelievably, ridiculously excellent that I honestly wouldn't know where to begin in singing its praises. the fantastic acting? the great writing? The beautiful cinematography? The dynamic and interesting use of music?
The scene with the black and white cartoon in the background. Steve McQueen is a boss.

How about watching it first and making up your mind about it after you've seen it? It'd be nice if you watch it unspoiled too. I think I appreciated it more because of it. I hadn't even watched a trailer lol.

It's nice to see Shame is very well received. I really want to watch it.

How about watching it first and making up your mind about it after you've seen it? It'd be nice if you watch it unspoiled too. I think I appreciated it more because of it. I hadn't even watched a trailer lol.

It's nice to see Shame is very well received. I really want to watch it.

Uh, it was a joke, dude. nskinnear hated Shame. Because he, like a few of the other regulars in this thread, went temporarily insane when he watched it.

The shaky cam in A Separation was annoying.

I know how shaky cam can often be annoying in most films, but it didn't bother me at all in that one. I felt it fit well in the film. To me it's more on how it's used. Also, it wasn't so shaky. Not Hunger Games intro type of shaky.

I felt more like it was loose, not so shaky :p. Like we were almost spying on them.

Please don't spoil it for snowy :p

I don't think there's a thread, so I just saw End of Watch, and it was pretty awesome. Not much to say except the climax of the movie was fucking intense. First person shooting done right, awesome.

Good to hear. I can't wait to see it myself. I'm a huge fan of Jake Gyllenhaal.

I'm not really sure how I felt about The Master either, but that's because I fell asleep less than halfway through.

It's no Boogie Nights, though. Probably.

I try to go into films in as unbiased a way as I can, but based on every single trailer and clip that has come out so far, my gut tells me that that'll be my reaction to The Master, as well.

The way that I described it to a FB friend is that it really seemed as though Paul Thomas Anderson had finally drunk his own Kool-Aid, even more than in There Will Be Blood. Does that ring true, you reckon?

Edit: Also, Punch-Drunk Love is probably the best Paul Thomas Anderson film, if only for the fact that there are no obvious daddy issues. Also, it's just more unique and interesting, not as stylistically or thematically derivative of other works/directors.

big ander

Edit: Also, Punch-Drunk Love is probably the best Paul Thomas Anderson film, if only for the fact that there are no obvious daddy issues. Also, it's just more unique and interesting, not as stylistically or thematically derivative of other works/directors.
But in deriving his style off multiple other works he's defining his own style!
excuse me I'm swoon-baiting

And I don't mind PTA's focus on daddy issues. Working with a theme across multiple films doesn't bother me, even when it's carried through just about every film the guy's done, as long as each film has something else to distinguish it from the others.
Speaking of Ernie Anderson, this compilation of him swearing in the most creative ways ever while recording ABC voiceovers is fantastic. He's a profanity masterchef.

I first watched Boogie Nights many years ago, probably around 2000 (around the time I first watched A Clockwork Orange), I was used to movies more in line with "She's all that" and "Jumanji" back then; I remember it being incredible and really thinking it was made in the 70s. It was one the first that made me be more interested in film and start discovering other movies. So, I like the movie a lot.

Nothing wrong with being derivative if you can do it better than the source.

It depends on what you mean by that. It's certainly not a bad thing to wear your influences on your sleeve, but "derivative", by its very nature, tends to refer to things that both overtly show their influences yet fall short of them. "Stardust Memories," for example, most definitely owes a debt to 8 1/2 for its plot and structure, but I'd argue that SM is the far more complicated and interesting work on just about every level, and without the obvious mid-century Freudian baggage that you have to deal with in watching 8 1/2 - not to mention the fact that it's much leaner, as well as more progressive and complex in its portrayal of women.

Man, do I love Stardust Memories.

Paul Thomas Anderson, on the other hand, is most derivative of Kubrick (especially in TWBB), Scorsese (Goodfellas especially), and Altman (earlier in his career, anyway; this has disappeared over time) - and he hasn't matched the best work of any of them, by a wide margin. Tarantino, while he doesn't try nearly as hard to have depth, is alot better at hiding his more specific influences and at couching them within his comic book-y dialogue. PTA's dialogue is pretty much always David Mamet done blunt force trauma, which works sometimes but which can be very grating, especially given his tendency to not rein his actors in.

Edit: And let's be real here - is there anything, other than color, that a person could get from TWBB that they couldn't get from just marathoning Citizen Kane and a John Huston film? Also, Jon Brion >>>> Johnny Greenwood, at least when it comes to film scores. PDL kicks the shit out of TWBB, at least from a soundscape perspective.

I don't mean to sound like an asshole, as my opinion has flipped quite dramatically in the last few years, but I do think that I'm pretty fair about admitting his strengths and his weaknesses.

harSon

Banned
I started the 31 Days of Horror challenge early (I'm still going to watch 31 horror films in October though), so here's a compilation of everything I posted within that thread:

I began watching movies from my list yesterday, but I'm still going to be participating for the proper event next month. I'll just replace the films I watch with some other films.

Movie #1: Hellraiser
Z3jin.gif

I watched the original Hellraiser last night, and having already seen a few of the sequels, I was taken aback by the fact that the Cenobite's have such little screen time. I really enjoyed the film despite that surprise; the acting was decent - especially Frank, the soundtrack was top notch and the narrative was a lot different than what I had in my head going into the film. My only complaint was the fact that I was probably more attached to Frank as a character than anyone else, and as a result, I didn't really sympathize with the characters I'm assuming were supposed to be sympathized for. Oh, and the dubbing.

While the digital effects have obviously aged pretty badly, the practical effects and costume work is damn good, particularly the Cenobites and 'incomplete' Frank, and that dungeon reminded me of Big Trouble in Little China.

I also liked how Pinhead was pure horror, but in a sense, fair... if that makes any sense. Almost like he has rules and convictions that he binds himself too. I found that to be a nice change of pace for a horror creature. The film also seemed to have a strange anti-sex, or possibly anti-infidelity theme layered through out the film. Pretty much everyone within the film who is sexually active is punished in some fashion, on top of the whole merging of pain and pleasure with the Cenobites.

Also, I'm pretty convinced that the filmmakers behind Spiderman 3 were influenced by Frank's resurrection when constructing the birth of Sandman.

Rating: *** out of ****

Movie # 2 - Videodrome
OAV8Z.jpg

Two words: Vagina Stomach. I honestly have no clue what in the fuck I just watched. I obviously get the basic theme of the film, ie. media has the ability to shape and mold people's reality, but unless you're only supposed to only come away with that basic message, and not understand the narrative... then I must repeat: I have no clue as to what the fuck I just watched.

That's not to say that it's a bad movie, considering I was thoroughly entertained through out the runtime, and outside of a relatively underwhelming open ended conclusion, the film was pretty much flawless. The minimalist music was effective, James Woods was the shit (WTF happened to his career?), the narrative was suspenseful in its execution, it was thematically sound and some of those effects, particularly those involving the television set, are timeless.

I've yet to be disappointed by vintage Cronenberg, so I think I may have some of his gems that I've missed into my horror movie marathon.

Side note: Having already seen eXistenz, I couldn't help but draw several parallels between the films. They almost feel like companion pieces, or possibly eXistenz is a spiritual successor?

Rating: *** 1/2 out of ****

Movie #7 - A Tale of Two Sisters
taleoftwosisters.jpg

Unfortunately, I had already seen the American remake, The Uninvited, before watching this film, so I already knew to be looking for a specific twist end. While there were some differences between this film's ending, and the American remake, it's similar enough where I was basically deconstructing the movie on the fly using the already known twist as a platform, which definitely effected my enjoyment a bit. But I certainly can't fault the film for that.

I actually enjoyed the film quite a bit. It's a lot less super natural than the American remake, and is a lot slower and more methodical with its narrative pace, a quality I love within my horror films. The music was appropriately atmospheric, but sort of par for the course as far as Korean cinema is concerned (somebody in Korea use something other than classical please). The camera work and cinematography was absolutely gorgeous, and went a long ways towards establishing an extremely unsettling feel through out the film.

The acting was top notch, particularly the step mother who had the ability to shift between moods, ranging from completely mundane and composed, to upbeat and hysterical, to completely fucking nuts, with the transitions seemingly coming off completely natural and unforced.

I found the ending to be a bit confusing and messy, although it did wrap up nicely at the very end. The 10 minutes proceeding that, jumping between stuff that may or may not be reality, reality and the past and present all without warning, was a bit... jarring, but the director manages to get back on track.

The film's definitely worth watching, it just sucks that my enjoyment was effected by watching the American remake, but as I said, that's no fault of the filmmaker.

Rating: *** 1/2 out of ****

Movie #8 - Night of the Creeps
goCYF.jpg

Why did Robocop 3 have to tank Fred Dekker's career? :(

I love how this film, alongside a few other films from the era, is self-aware, self-mocking as well as paying homage to the films it mocks (50s scifi/horror, zombie films, etc), a full 10 years before Scream, but Scream gets all the credit for this style of film within the genre. The practical effects, schlock acting, corny dialog and cringe worthy one liners, sorority setting, cliche'd premise, etc. I fucking loved it all.

Having watched all of these 80s era films, my wish for practical effects to make a comeback have only heightened. The make-up and costume design within this film were damn good, and the little slugs through out the film were surprisingly well done as well. The opening and closing inclusion of Aliens was pretty hilarious, but from a budget standpoint, a bit overkill since they didn't really add anything to the narrative.

Tom Atkins definitely stole the show, he was the perfect actor to mock the down and out, washed up detective, considering he's made a fucking career playing that same trope. Apparently Dekker wrote the script in 7 days, which is amazing in itself considering the resulting film, but evident within some of the narrative. The scene between Atkins and the main character, where he confesses to the murder he committed decades ago, is so out of left field, forced and unneeded that you can't help but laugh... but I suppose that's part of the charm.

The only thing I didn't like was the choice of main character. Dude had the charisma of week old road kill. I think the film would have worked a lot better if it were channeled through his crippled friend (I really struggled to come up with another way of saying this, sorry!), considering a dude with cerebral palsy kicking alien/zombie ass seems like the greatest thing ever to me.

Oh, and the main characters love interest was gorgeous as hell, but like the main character, had the personality of a cadaver.

harSon said:
Movie #4 - The Monster Squad
monster_squad1.jpg

"Wolfman's got nards!"

Why don't they make kids movies like this anymore? The 80s were a fucking gold mine for relatively gritty and mature, yet still light hearted and comedic kids films. This film is quite similar in tone and execution to something like The Goonies, and I loved every minute of it.

The special effects are surprisingly bearable, and the costume and set design were top notch and very 80s. I love the atmosphere, dirtiness and overall grit that 80s directors were able to capture through their set and costume design. It's an art form that seemingly diminished in the 90s and completely disappeared in modern film, where everything is way to fucking clean, even within horror.

As a throwback to classic horror, I enjoyed this much more than I did recent efforts like Van Helsing. The kids were well casted, the dialogue was memorable and ridiculously quotable, there was a nice balance between comedy/horror/drama (the relationship between the little girl and Frankenstein was ridiculously adorable) and it was just an overall good film.

I was a bit taken aback by the homophobic slurs littered through out the beginning of the film. I can excuse the bullies usage of faggot considering his actions were placed into a negative light, but even the protagonist referred to things as Homo, and everything not heterosexual seemed to be weird. I know older films had a lot of homophobia embedded within them, considering the era, but I was surprised to see it so prevalent within a family film.

Oh, and I love how the black cop's death was the most insignificant thing ever. Dude was a prominent character, and his death is literally shrugged off and not acknowledged at all Lol. Shit was ridiculous.

harSon said:
Movie #10 - Mimic
I0N77.jpg

This is the only Del Toro movie I had yet to see. Considering he disowned the film and the fact that it's regularly shit on by viewers, I didn't have the biggest of expectations going into the film but I was actually pleasantly surprised. It's basically the 50s nature horror/sci fi, infused with Aliens, and taking place within modern New York.

The film obviously owes a lot to Aliens, both in its visual flare as well the mythos behind the creatures themselves, but I found it to be an enjoyable monster film none the less. I was actually a bit disappointed by the insect designs itself considering the man behind them, but I suppose Del Toro didn't want to deviate too much from the actual appearance of an insect. Having said that, some of the practical effects, particularly the insect dissection scenes, were quite good and reminiscent to the slimy splatter effects of the 80s.

The film's definitely not a classic, nor is it terribly unique, but the film is entertaining through out and definitely worth a watch.

I do admit though, I'm kind of tired of the Sacrificial Negro trope within films though, (ie. Black characters sacrifice their own well being for the sake of saving/bettering/changing a whiter character(s) future within the narrative for the better) which can be seen with Charles Dutton's character. And I found it hilarious how the mimic insect slaughters blacks when it encounters them, but takes white victims as a prisoner. I never understood the latter point, the practice of prisoner taking was never explained narratively, and served no purpose other than not killing off significant characters.

harSon said:
Movie #9 - The Omen (1976)
NqwQN.jpg

First of all, I'd like to say that Jerry Goldsmith is a goddamned beast of a composer. The music within this film is so fucking eerie and atmospheric, and is a huge part of why the film works so well.

The movie was pretty much flawless IMO. The cinematography and on location shots are absolutely gorgeous, the movie is well acted on all fronts - particularly the Nanny who was down right menacing, the story itself was slow and methodical - but appropriately eerie with just enough build up for some nice scares and as I said, the music wraps it all up nice and tidy.

I haven't seen The Exorcist in quite a while, but I think I enjoyed the subdued and methodical execution of The Omen, to The Exorcist's larger than life and insistence on shock. And I'm beginning to see a pattern I'm experiencing with all of these iconic films, and that's the fact that they're so old and essential to cinema, that I basic plot points and legendary scenes without having already seen the film. Kind of takes some of the gas out of the film, but something I'll have to live with.

Rating: **** out of ****

harSon said:
Movie #3 - Friday the 13th
J3Cw0.jpg

This movie is strikingly similar to Psycho, which I suppose isn't too surprising considering the film having some extreme influence over the formation of the slasher. The score is striking similar to that of Benard Hermann's. And both films contain a mother/son dynamic, with a misdirection as to who the killer is. I personally wasn't bothered by the obvious influences, just something I found interesting.

As for the movie, the violence was a lot more like Psycho and the Giallo genre than I was expecting, ie. a camera perspective in place of an actor for the killer to keep his or her's appearance/identity a mystery and continually showing the after math of violence that has occurred. The film was pretty tame by today's standards, so I guess the gruesomeness of the genre hadn't quite taken off yet.

I can't really fault the film for tired tropes, considering it's at the fore front of their conception. We basically have a film with mediocre character development, dumb character decisions, hot women, gore (the kills are pretty straight forward, and inventive kills hadn't started yet since the one-upping within the genre hadn't taken place yet), and a decent - albeit unoriginal score.

Already having overheard the film's ending and already being familiar with the genre the film helped to creative, the film lost a lot of the impact that I'm sure it had at its initial release, but it was definitely an entertaining film and I give it props for being an OG. I also enjoyed the misdirection within the early portion of the film, having what we're led to believe is going to be a main character killed off within the film's first act.

Oh, and I was totally surprised to see Kevin Bacon in the film hahaha.

Rating: ** 1/2 out of ****

harSon said:
Movie # 5 - House (1986)
ta1XR.jpg

I had so much fucking fun with this movie. The movie starts out relatively seriously and more inclined with hard line horror, but at the middle point of the film, it stops taking itself so seriously and improves considerably.

The awful Vietnam War flashbacks (William Katt as a Vietnam War vet is fucking hysterical in itself), the cheesy plastic looking monsters, the slapstick humor, the attempted juggling of drama and comedic horror, and the random as fuck soundtrack all just work. The movie is basically Room 1408 with a comedic twist and 80s sensibilities. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, he breaks his medicine cabinet mirror to reveal a portal to some other dimension? The whole fucking movie is ridiculous and awesome.

For anyone familiar with the franchise, is the sequel worth watching?

harSon said:
Movie #6 - House 2: The Second Story
C6PTs.jpg

I didn't enjoy enjoy this one nearly as much as the first film. The film definitely abandons the horror elements inherent within its predecessor, and takes a much more comedic fantasy approach, a movie I feel hindered the successful formula quite a bit.

I did enjoy the characters within this film a lot more than the original; particurally Gramps (his great great grandfather that he digs up and awakens from his grave, his best friend and the repairman that comes into the film for about 10 minutes. I felt they were a bit more individualized, although the main character wasn't fleshed out compared to the protagonist within the first film.

The special effects were also hit and miss. The costume and set design was top notch, but the usage of stop animation for the dinosaurs and the undead horse were obviously outdated.

The narrative was all over the place, with a lot of the subplots being completely abandoned and unresolved, specifically the relationship between the protagonist and his girlfriend (Although I did enjoy the fact that they didn't get back together, that's a nice change of pace..)

I thought the last 15-20 minutes, minus the very end, were the best part of the movie considering the general tone of the film made a shift back to the original film. Gramps arch nemesis was easily the best villain within the film, and the filmmakers would have been better off threading him and his conflict with the protagonist's family through out the narrative, than having these characters jump in and out of ripped settings (Land of the Lost and The Temple of Doom).

It was still pretty entertaining overall, but definitely more of a family movie than the first.

Rating: * 1/2 out of ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom