• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

We live in a post-Fujiko world! We should know better by now.

WEZSm.jpg

/XX/

The more active shots making quick camera motions look fine, but otherwise the lack of detail on the models and the awkwardness of their movements stands out.
To say it looks better than other efforts is to say it looks more like something from 2003 than 2001.
After his efforts on Sky Crawlers, Tom Myers of Skywalker Sound's fame (http://www.skysound.com/bio/tom_myers.html) is again involved on sound design for a Production I.G project like this one, so at least I expect this movie to be brilliant in that department. With those action shots being decent enough and all that... this could be a good audiovisual experience as a whole.

That's true as well. I mean, I do similar things myself on the internet like you said. Just read about interesting things to pass the time. Things like the networks and cyberbrains would make accessing information quicker than ever, and even easier to digest.
Didn't their 'cyberbrains' had wireless connections to the Net? In the case of Batō, he well could be looking for 'philosophical quotes to impress your friends' through web-search, on the fly!

Jarmel

Banned
Moe~

My only real problem with the article is that it goes to talk about smartness and then analyzes the themes it presents with not much thinking at all. I would rather have one really explored theme than 3-4 shallow analyses and premise choices.

It's Kotaku.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Now I usually don't call people out but I may just have to ask this guy over Twitter if this is the only anime he has seen in years. Because anyone with half a brain couldn't make such a statement seriously.

Maedhros

The hate SAO gets is the reason why I don't like to discuss it. I just enjoy it quietly.

Reading the thread to see what I'll watch this season.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The hate SAO gets is the reason why I don't like to discuss it. I just enjoy it quietly.

It's not really hate, but it's a bit much to say it's the smartest show in years.

It's the Summer Blockbuster of anime.

I like it, well mainly Kirito, but I think Im in the camp that probably thinks its much too overrated in certain places online. The Kotaku article is much better than the ANN one and the guy who writes those preview image write ups.

cajunator

Banned
SAO presents itself as a fun but ultimately not very serious show.
Its just too silly of a premise and lots goes unexplained. Its not very intelligent writing.

Maedhros

Of course it's overrated. It's popular. Every popular show gets the treatment. Main example is K-On.

Also, I don't care about the writing on anime like this. Anime, by itself, isn't realistic most of the time.

wonzo

Banned
Do we know if there's something legitimately wrong with her eye or if the eyepatch is just a fashion statement?
I'm pretty sure it's the later brought on by her delusions. Sounds dumb, I know.

Aren't the lyrics adorable?
Yeah, they certainly add to the overall charm.

Wait a minute. People wear lensless glasses? Why for?
Hipsters

what%20the%20hell%20was%20that.gif

yet another thing to add to the list of reasons why kotaku should be rebanned

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I have to agree with him on that. The fact that getting their bone on wasn't the be-all-end-all was pretty refreshing.

Although given the last two episodes, maybe it should have been.

And that's exactly my point, hahaha.

Indeed. And there are some of us who are legitimately enjoying it, too. Some of the time, anyway.

I most definitely am. I love the MMORPG shenanigans.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Of course it's overrated. It's popular. Every popular show gets the treatment. Main example is K-On.

Also, I don't care about the writing on anime like this. Anime, by itself, isn't realistic most of the time.
K-On is actually well made though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Indeed. And there are some of us who are legitimately enjoying it, too. Some of the time, anyway.

Lets just say I like to poke fun at things I like. Maybe that should clear up any misconceptions of why I keep nitpicking and asking silly questions.

The only smart thing about it is that it makes you feel smarter than the characters in the show, but it's exactly rare for anime.

sonicmj1

Now I usually don't call people out but I may just have to ask this guy over Twitter if this is the only anime he has seen in years. Because anyone with half a brain couldn't make such a statement seriously.

This is the same guy who reviewed Wolf Children earlier.

Ugh.

Paranoia Agent 12

Ever since
their first suspect died
this show has been quietly plunging further and further into the garden of madness. The continued escalation of fantastical events was disguised by the move away from the cops as central characters, so you could kind of doubt the authenticity of any given thing. However, now that we're back in their shoes, you can really tell just how far things have gone.

idI9MoEqlqNlr.png

This was not someone who I expected to appear again.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the way the plot has turned. Perhaps it was inevitable given the show's critical scope, but I was always most impressed by the core human drama of individuals, and the more caught up we become in this apocalyptic event, the more the individual is lost. But in terms of direction, this episode is still extremely strong.

ibsvJxsJz9VsAa.png

The way this door bulges from repeated impacts really struck me. It's pretty unrealistic, but it also reminds me of something like Kaneda's uncontrolled growth at the end of Akira, which adds to the horror of the situation, like the door itself is alive.

There are a lot of interesting, unexpected cameos here, but I'm not sure what to say beyond that. I have no clue how this crazy train is going to end, but from what I've seen of Kon's prior work, he knows how to put together a good climax and knows when to cut, so I'm pretty excited regardless of how I feel about the current direction of things.

Binbougami ga 13 FIN

Ok end to an ok show.

What was the deal with the pendant too? I assumed it was some sort of trick but I'm also left wondering if it wasn't just a roundabout way to give a gift.

The necklace prevent her from stealing other people fortune..it negates the point that she is a treat to everyone around her .Without that everyone she cares about would die. It basicly negates the first problem every god has with tittycows. The second problem being that she still has an unsual amount of fortune energy

Fixed, lol.

But how many of you guys read the novels? (SAO)

I did .

i read plenty of novels for many series.
If you'reintrestedin Sao , you should read them , the novel as it explain many thing way better than the anime can.

Jex

In 19 hours or so, the first two episodes of Psycho-Pass will be screened for those who managed to secure tickets to the pre-screening event in Tokyo. In an extremely rare occurrence, this could well be one of the few (or only?) truly authentic world premieres for a major entertainment release. As of now there is still exactly 0 seconds worth of animation footage, and not even a single screen from the actual show. If it remains this way, those watching the screening will be the first members of the public to ever see what the show looks actually looks like. What an event! :D

I look forward to the inevitably positive Twitter reaction.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Lite 1
tumblr_mb0km3zthy1rz200no1_500.gif

Rikka is pretty awful thus far, down with Valmet as worst femEyepatch character. Anyway, Yuta reminded me of Houtarou at times, or maybe the expressions.. Otherwise I dish they said more on the Dark Flame Master, such a cool sounding name, and all the contraptions were intriguing...

And if those are the OP and ED, neither were good.

Maedhros

The necklace prevent her from stealing other people fortune..it negates the point that she is a treat to everyone around her .Without that everyone she cares about would die. It basicly negates the first problem every god has with tittycows. The second problem being that she still has an unsual amount of fortune energy

I did .

i read plenty of novels for many series.
If you'reintrestedin Sao , you should read them , the novel as it explain many thing way better than the anime can.

I read them too. Just finished vol. 2, yeah, some things are better explained there.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Guys, guys, the internet is supposed to shut down when I go to sleep. The hell are all these pages?

Jex

Zetsuen above Jojo? Oh boy....

I still expect Jo Jo's to be thoroughly enjoyable but I am a little wary of the level of talent that Studio David has ready to bring to the fore. People may find that I'm being rather over-sceptical considering that hey, Jo Jo's is a good work so how badly could a weak studio screw it up? I feel that time has shown that some works and some studios really aren't a great match for each other - see Studio 4oC and Berserk.

sonicmj1

I still expect Jo Jo's to be thoroughly enjoyable but I am a little wary of the level of talent that Studio David has ready to bring to the fore. People may find that I'm being rather over-sceptical considering that hey, Jo Jo's is a good work so how badly could a weak studio screw it up? I feel that time has shown that some works and some studios really aren't a great match for each other - see Studio 4oC and Berserk.

While Ben-to may not be a perfect fit, it gives me a lot of confidence in their ability to do Jojo, since the fight scenes are basically made up of poses and people hitting each other really hard, and they were fun to watch.

Jex

Would that be :firehawk smuttiness?

That reminds of that smut anime which is mentioned in Helen's book where like, the girl falls in love with a guy over summer but really he's a dead ghost or whatever. Of course, at the end they had to be separated because, like, that's what being a ghost's all about. I seem to recall cherryblossom. It was pretty :firehawk

Kazzy

Binbougami ga 13

A decent ending, but it's only served to highlight all the wasted potential, yet again. It was a much needed plot development, although it was hardly one that needed to come this late. If the show had not been so intent on cannibalising itself, week after week, then maybe I would have enjoyed it more. But as is stands, it was simply spinning its wheels for far too long, and this just comes across as its attempt to show off and justify its existence.

Maedhros

Okay, here are the shows I'll be watching:

Jojo- I mean, it's fucking Jojo.
Litch DE Hikari Club - Sounds fucked up.
Gintama - Best comedy of forever
BTOOOM - SAO clone, lolololol.
Zetsuen no Tempest - I hope it's not yaoi.
K - k...
To Love-Ru Darkness
Code:Breaker
Magi
Robotic Notes

Aoi Sekai no Chuusin De - I'll be watching to see Sony destroying both Sega and Nintendo empires in the end
Shin Sekai Yori
Jormungand PERFECT ORDER - I loved the first season
Medaka Box Abnormal
Psycho Pass

For movies, I'm interested in:

Madoka movies 1 and 2
009: Re-Cyborg
Asura
Newareta Gakuen

OceanBlue

It's Kotaku.
I guess that's true. You can't really write an article for a gaming site in the same way you would for an anime blog that expects its readers to have seen the show already.

I don't hate SAO. I kinda like it, although I don't like it to the same degree that I liked Hyouka last season. The article is a bit too much, though.

Jex

Ghost in the Shell Franchise-fin
The problem is that 2nd Gig feels more traditional in regards to overall narrative structure such as the ideas of escalation. 1st Gig was more of a mystery/detective show and I think I enjoyed that aspect of the show as a whole. I also liked the climax in 1st Gig more. The reason being that it's very Wire-esque in tone and considering the Wire is my favorite television show of all time, I loved this to death.
I will certainly agree that the first series has a far more creative and original plot - I have a feeling they spent a long time coming up with all of it beforehand. However, I really do prefer the character work in the second season because it starts to flesh out the team. Thankfully there's no need to play favourites considering that one can watch both.
The film also gets across the point visually about this being a dystopia a lot better than the television series through small details whereas the city in the television series is cleaner and more futuristic.
The city in the series probably looks 'cleaner' than the movie because it's far more labour intensive to create background art which has detail such as grit, dirt, rubbish, decays and so forth because that's an extra layer that has to go on top of the actual buildings and such. I mean, that's why many anime worlds look extremely clean and neat - because that's cheaper than making them look dirty.
--------------------------------

I largely agree with your lengthy write up, except that I think you're being a little too hard on Innocence, but you're hardly alone in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom