• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Nice! Crunchyroll's next simulcast for this season is From The New World.
Scheduled for Tuesdays at 12:40pm PDT.

Nice! Really looking for it.

Oh, speaking of staff-whoring - I guess I should ask since I do this every season. Are there any shows this season that are:

1) directed by SatoJun
2) written by Yoshida
3) starring Kobayashi (where is Ginga? Dead? :()

No SatoJun this season.

Yoshida is writing Girls und Panzer, Bakuman 3, and the new Seitokai no Ichizon anime.

I dunno about seiyuu shit, sorry. :(

Wait.. who's making the Magi OT?

I think cosmic or dresden. They might be waiting for more announcements this Sunday first.

Stop quoting pizzaroll. It defeats the ignore function.

8bgMd.gif

Risette

A Good Citizen
LOL. Did you guys come up with this in IRC?
I came up with it to streamline anime criticism.

Given it's shaky quality even with KyoAni's animation and direction skills, I feel comfortable saying that it would be completely unwatchable in a lesser studio's hands.
Agreed. I feel that way about the whole show, actually. On paper it's rather mundane, but KyoAni pulls it off pretty spectacularly.

Ultimadrago

Paranoia Agent 12

welpp3jxd.png

I guess this is a warm-up for Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

I have an issue putting this episode in words. On one hand, I still enjoy the direction as I usually do. However, the narrative's bond on me is weakening. Shounen Bat is not much of a mystery anymore, aside from
the plan on snuffing his presence at the source
. The victims aren't interacting much anymore (while still popping up around the place), but instead the entirety of Japan displays a link to
Maromi

The camerawork and editing still work effectively for the events that Paranoia Agent shares. Example A being
the key character's delusional grandeur
, though strangely enough, it's a case that has been touched on before in Paranoia Agent. One fought for
Shounen Bat
and this one wants to extinguish the entity that has grown powerful from the
reactions surrounding it

However, I find a gap where powerfully executed character insight used to be. The series is close to closing its curtains and the focus is understandable, but mildly vague. This leaves me pondering on the quality and direction of the finale. This episode didn't pull me as previous ones have (in fact, that could be said about a couple of these latter episodes), but I'm still interested in where it will lead.

Here's to anticipating a grand ending to this story created of smaller stories.

cajuninmyanimeaizsa.png

The essence of cajunator got into my Paranoia Agent...or maybe it has always been there. Hmmm

duckroll

AO 22-

I'm not even mad. Seriously. I'm not sure why this episode was the breaking point for people.

If you hate the series anyway, and think all the characters are garbage, and you're watching just to hate on it, then there's no reason to be mad about the episode. Some people are actually invested in the characters and story they were telling, and clearly they have no intention of actually delivering on anything they were building up.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
If you hate the series anyway, and think all the characters are garbage, and you're watching just to hate on it, then there's no reason to be mad about the episode. Some people are actually invested in the characters and story they were telling, and clearly they have no intention of actually delivering on anything they were building up.

Pretty much how I feel.

Jarmel

Banned

The story and characters had long been garbage. Truth had never been a good villain and Naru had never been a good character either. We've already known the show was more interested in doing twists rather than an actual cohesive story. It's not like the show took a nosedive out of nowhere. I mean last episode they gave important character information in a bullshit exposition dump. Look at how Elena's plotline as a whole has been treated, of course the show isn't interested in paying things off. The producers/director/script-writers have been smacking the audience in the face with a steak and have no intention of letting them eat the steak.

/XX/

It is good to know that Otaking, from GAiNAX.FR, conducted a juicy interview with Shigeto Koyama at this recently passed Paris Manga & Sci-Fi Show event, to be published soon. Not as good omen is the related information he has been dropping in the meantime, and that is Evangelion: 3.0 isn't finished yet and still has some aspects to be reworked on, at only one month-and-a-half until its premiere! Confirmed by Mr. Koyama itself (that comment can be read here http://www.gainax.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?p=41336#p41336).

I don't think it is specially worrying without a clarification on what exactly hasn't been yet completed, but I'm curious to see more information on that now (if there is more from his sources), that much is clear... nice trick selling it, man!

duckroll

The story and characters had long been garbage. Truth had never been a good villain and Naru had never been a good character either. We've already known the show was more interested in doing twists rather than an actual cohesive story. It's not like the show took a nosedive out of nowhere. I mean last episode they gave important character information in a bullshit exposition dump. Look at how Elena's plotline as a whole has been treated, of course the show isn't interested in paying things off. The producers/director/script-writers have been smacking the audience in the face with a steak and have no intention of letting them eat the steak.

If all you're interested is in going "haha I told all you suckers so, this show sucks, if you listened to me you wouldn't care either!" then whatever I don't care. It's clear you're not interested in really discussing something but just going "I could see it a mile away, suck it!"

Jarmel

Banned
If all you're interested is in going "haha I told all you suckers so, this show sucks, if you listened to me you wouldn't care either!" then whatever I don't care. It's clear you're not interested in really discussing something but just going "I could see it a mile away, suck it!"

I'm really not. I'm apathetic to the whole thing. This was probably my 2nd most hyped show going into this year and I've come to hate it. I honestly thought there were enough warning flags to advise people. In fact you even posted about stuff like that after either episode 16 or 17. I'm sorry that the show has become this painful for you, seriously.

Eureka Seven AO 22

Ah episode 22 delivered something that I wanted for so long!
Ao v Truth, finally
. I enjoyed how it played out and was so flashy. Could have been longer but I guess they'll save that for the conclusion late autumn or whatever. Anyway I hope my ending scenario plays out
Since Ao is kind of like Truth with being human and scrub coralish etc, I hope they fight then reach an understanding and then unite under some same goal for teamwork, would be nice
. Truth is really cool and at the end of the day, just needs a good hug :(.

Ao is just so funny and just so unawares that whole scene with Naru still makes me chuckle
when he was like talking about the ear plugs thing and was like Truth is into that, wow and then gave her older sister status, so good for me.

Ah and the credit stuff...
Someone seemed to get even more cool with age, wow at that character design and such!

Thoraxes

Eureka Seven AO 22

Ao v Truth, finally
. I enjoyed how it played out and was so flashy. Could have been longer but I guess they'll save that for the conclusion late autumn or whatever. Anyway I hope my ending scenario plays out
Since Ao is kind of like Truth with being human and scrub coralish etc, I hope they fight then reach an understanding and then unite under some same goal for teamwork, would be nice

Ao is just so funny and just so unawares that whole scene with Naru still makes me chuckle
when he was like talking about the ear plugs thing and was like Truth is into that, wow and then gave her older sister status, so good for me.

Someone seemed to get even more cool with age, wow at that character design and such!

Ao is the greatest
male to female friend-zoning protagonist ever.

Eureka Seven AO 22

This, I feel, was one of the better episodes of the series so far. The action was more impressive than usual, and the brisk pacing allowed this to be a largely entertaining episode. That being said, the characterization remains incredibly inconsistent, the narrative is convoluted as hell, and Truth is still a terrible "villain". So this certainly wasn't great.

The ending, due to
Renton's appearance
, was suitably amazing and thoroughly satisfying.
So Renton's hopping through worlds and looking for Eureka, which explains why there was no heart on the moon. That's also not the movie Nirvash, so I really had no problem with this entire sequence.
The rest of the episode was wholly mediocre, but somewhat enjoyable nonetheless. I don't quite understand which aspect of this episode caused so much vitriol by several posters here, since the flaws throughout were just more of the same, really. I do, however, think that the direction this is taking within
AO's world
inevitably lends itself to a rushed, unsatisfying, inconclusive ending. For this series in general to have been considerably better, AO should have
left to look for Renton ten episodes ago on Eureka's suggestion, and, after struggling to find him, they both leave to save Eureka, and consequently, AO's world
. Instead, we're left with characters who never seem to have any motivation or urgency whatsoever and a narrative that loses focus constantly, meandering between several story and character threads, without ever truly elaborating on any particular one.

This has ultimately diminished into something substantially worse than the original E7, which is my favorite anime ever, and, although, in it's entirety, E7AO has been immensely disappointing and exceptionally unnecessary, I'm hoping for a semblance of a satisfying conclusion. The majority of the AO characters are, unfortunately, rather bad though, so I'm just hoping there's a good ending for
Eureka and Renton
at this point, since
their excellent, previously happy ending
was needlessly discarded in order to set up this waste of a show.

duckroll

Eureka Seven AO 22

Ao v Truth, finally

Okay, I think this post alone has made me crawl back from the edge and rethink my thoughts of self-harm. I am now living life with a new perspective and joy. Thank you Shounen Emperor for putting a smile on me today! :D

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Binbougami ga! 10:

That was......actually kind of an okay episode, if only because
Ichiko showed kindness toward another living thing of her own free will
. Even though there was a greater lesson to be learned, Momiji's plan this episode was actually kind of dickish considering the aforementioned development and, for the first time, I felt something approximating sympathy for Ichiko. It's a strange feeling.

dafuq @
there being a harmless object that could suppress Ichiko's fortune absorption THE ENTIRE TIME
, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Area No Kishi 37

Really didn't like how they ended the series. It just seemed like a regular episode and really had no closure (
they teased the rematch with Yoin and that's it. You really don't see the new improved Kakeru like they have been hinting at.
)

It's nothing wrong with them ending there but they should of done it like they did with Kuroko no Basket.
I stopped watching since they stopped caring about Nana and Mai. Did they ever show who that guy stalking Mai was? lol

Had I ever watched SAO I'm guessing I would probably agree with you - except about the last part, I mean, who cares? - but I find it difficult to take seriously this level of moral outrage over the current state of taste in anime fandom when it is coming from a self-identified fan of Code Geass and Death Note.
SAO's initial premise was disgusting. I suppose it still is, but the first two episodes were quite possible the worst thing I've seen in the short time that I've been watching anime.

Did they ever move out of that apartment?! lol

Thoraxes

Binbougami ga! 10:

That was......actually kind of an okay episode, if only because
Ichiko showed kindness toward another living thing of her own free will
. Even though there was a greater lesson to be learned, Momiji's plan this episode was actually kind of dickish considering the aforementioned development and, for the first time, I felt something approximating sympathy for Ichiko. It's a strange feeling.

dafuq @
there being a harmless object that could suppress Ichiko's fortune absorption THE ENTIRE TIME
, though.

I'll preface this by saying I know nothing about the manga or source material at all.

I was guessing that maybe the
necklace was a placebo effect.

Instro

Okay, I think this post alone has made me crawl back from the edge and rethink my thoughts of self-harm. I am now living life with a new perspective and joy. Thank you Shounen Emperor for putting a smile on me today! :D

Duckroll is such a junkie, just last week he was saying that he didn't care what happened in the series anymore. Bones reeling you back in!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'll preface this by saying I know nothing about the manga or source material at all.

I was guessing that maybe the
necklace was a placebo effect.

I strongly suspected that at first, but then this line made me doubt myself, as I couldn't tell whether or not
Benjogami was chiding Momiji for taking an aggressive, violent approach to Ichiko's situation instead of politely asking for her cooperation from the beginning
. Their conversation was a bit ambiguous, and in these instances I generally just try to take things at face value and accept that I've been deceived if it comes to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom