• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
From The New World 2

This episode isn't as immediately striking as the first. It's not bad by any means (it's still great IMO!) but it's not as atmospheric - they're not laying on the creepiness quite so thickly this week.

I'm impressed by how consistently thought through the major elements are and how the show makes it clear to the audience the way things work, even in the most subtle of ways - (don't read this spoiler until you've seen the episode)
loved the shadow of the Nekodamashi following the "cheater" from the tournament

We're also introduced to another major part of the storyline and one that brings Saki back into focus as the central character IMO. Without wishing to go into too much detail, I found this really interesting for linguistic reasons -
the Bakenezumi "click", but also speak in kind-of fragmented Japanese, so although the characters can't really understand them you get hints of what they're trying to say.
. I find the dialogue in this show pretty challenging to follow, but one of the more interesting things is the way that writing has changed in the future - we see more of this in this episode in particular, but you can particularly notice it in the title cards where the show's logo is smudged and corrupted so the kanji are distorted. I think it's all these little touches that make the show so interesting - a lot of attention has been paid to detail, both in the source material and in its adaptation.

If I have one disappointment, it's the music, which takes a bit of a tumble this week. It's not as terrible as I thought the music in Chuunibyou was but I think it weakens some of the earlier scenes in the episode.

Next week's episode should kick the story into high gear, but it's definitely living up to my expectations so far.

FWIW the ED is now included on the satellite broadast. It's a really fantastic ED sequence, probably one of my favourites.

Excellent that it remains good. I'm really hyped about this show. I can understand if its not overall as impressive as episode one. DAT HOOK is important.

Ebiten - Koritsu Ebisugawa Koukou Tenmon-Bu 01

ZWapj.jpg

Hello again show, now in 720p instead of 288p.

First episode is still pretty decent basically being a Saint Seiya parody. I think this show basically parodies stuff which should be fun and the club at this point is basically the SOS expect with more stripping and bondage.

Some details from the Otona Animedia interview with the Magi director was posted on 2ch:

- The series is 2-cour
- He says they should be able to adapt all of the Balbadd arc without cutting out much
- Making Aladdin's mannerism feminine was apparently a direct order from the original author
- Tatsuyuki Nagai (Anohana director) is storyboarding and directing the OP, while Atsushi Nishigori (Idolmaster director) is the animation director for the OP
- They're planning a big event in the future

:(

I thought it would be longer than the 20 or so episodes. Kind of disappointing considering I guess there are over 130 chapters of the manga?

Kurita

Zetsuen No Tempest 1

I don't watch a lot of animes, so maybe I'm easily impressed but... damn, the animation is amazing. The music is great too.
Alright episode, I liked what I saw. Mystery, all that stuff, will watch this season.

Also, I thought Spirit Inspiration was supposed to be the opening, not the ending.
Did I misread ?
Still good to hear some Nothing's Carved In Stone.

If I were to start watching Gintama, is there any filler I can/should skip? I realize the show goes on breaks, but thought I might as well ask. There's a ton to catch up on and I think I want to minimize that as much as possible.

Not really. The thing is, Gintama is mostly an episodic comedy, so while you can skip a bunch of episodes without losing the thread of what little overarching plot there is, to do so would be to miss most of the point of the show. There isn't a lot of filler in the sense of anime-original material anyway, but even when there is it can contain some of the most hilarious moments of the show.

You can skip the first two episodes, which tell an anime-original story designed to introduce most of the main characters at once, and start with the third if you'd like.

BluWacky

Also, I thought Spirit Inspiration was supposed to be the opening, not the ending.
Did I misread ?

Something that happens quite frequently on first episodes of anime is that instead of having both an OP and an ED, they use the minute and a half at the start of the episode for more "episode", and then show the OP at the end instead of the ED. So you're not wrong - they just showed the OP at the end!

Zetsuen No Tempest 1

I don't watch a lot of animes, so maybe I'm easily impressed but... damn, the animation is amazing. The music is great too.
Alright episode, I liked what I saw. Mystery, all that stuff, will watch this season.

Did I misread ?

Really good suspenseful mysterious series, I hope the writer through in big twists, like their previous work had.

cajunator

Banned
Something that happens quite frequently on first episodes of anime is that instead of having both an OP and an ED, they use the minute and a half at the start of the episode for more "episode", and then show the OP at the end instead of the ED. So you're not wrong - they just showed the OP at the end!

Yeah, or like Madoka Magica where they insert the troll ED first then the real one.

Kurita

I see, thanks for the info.

Jex

I'm okay with boring OPs and EDs as long as the animation budget gets used for an actual episode or something.

Well, of course in the grand scheme of things OP's and ED's rarely matter at all, unless they're tied into the show in some interesting and unique way. I guess I've bee spoiled by good ED's recently.

yami4ct

I should just let you guys pick out a new avatar for me. This Sinanju is getting pretty old and, frankly, I'm too lazy to find a new one on my own.

Not really. The thing is, Gintama is mostly an episodic comedy, so while you can skip a bunch of episodes without losing the thread of what little overarching plot there is, to do so would be to miss most of the point of the show. There isn't a lot of filler in the sense of anime-original material anyway, but even when there is it can contain some of the most hilarious moments of the show.

You can skip the first two episodes, which tell an anime-original story designed to introduce most of the main characters at once, and start with the third if you'd like.

Cool. Having just watched the first two episodes, it's good. I find the humor hits way more than it misses. Gin is constantly hilarious and the side characters each are given their own little bits. I'll check out more as I get a chance.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
JoJo's Bizzare Adventure 1

Yup, this is JoJo.

This first episode covered about 5 chapters of the manga, but with one exception, it worked really well. The opening sequence showing how different Jojo's and Dio's lives were was really nice, and the 2 big fight scenes in this episode were well - animated and did a good job of capturing the feel of JoJo.

My only complaint *actual spoilers*
is that they cut a lot of the danny sequence out. It cuts directly from the caretaker realizing there's something inside the incinerator to showing Danny's grave.

Classiest swimsuit scene ever?

I'm okay with boring OPs and EDs as long as the animation budget gets used for an actual episode or something.

Going by early impressions, I don't think Jojo has much of an animation budget but apparently the direction and general visual style makes up for that.

Cool. Having just watched the first two episodes, it's good. I find the humor hits way more than it misses. Gin is constantly hilarious and the side characters each are given their own little bits. I'll check out more as I get a chance.

If you like the first two episodes, you'll love the show as a whole.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Going by early impressions, I don't think Jojo has much of an animation budget but apparently the direction and general visual style makes up for that.

If you like the first two episodes, you'll love the show as a whole.

There's quite a few stills used, but the animation is really good when it counts, the fights and a few dramatic moments.

They were planning a movie. Then his wife got sick or something. It was apparently pretty serious and she was in hospital for a long time. Since she was the lead screenwriter for Gundam SEED, Fukuda obviously didn't want to move forward without her. While that was put on hold, Sunrise moved on with Gundam 00 and Unicorn, and later AGE.

This HD revivial is probably going to eventually lead into something new, since Fukuda is actively working on the series again and supervising all the new cuts and revisions himself.

Damn I hope so.I will never get enough of SEED. Yes, I even liked Destiny. It's pretty damn bad when you look at it with critical eye but somehow I just enjoyed it so much. Of course original SEED was still tons better as it was actually ''good'' series. As a side note this thread also moves damn fast lol

yami4ct

Damn I hope so.I will never get enough of SEED. Yes, I even liked Destiny. It's pretty damn bad when you look at it with critical eye but somehow I just enjoyed it so much. Of course original SEED was still tons better as it was actually ''good'' series. As a side note this thread also moves damn fast lol

Not trying to be insulting, but have you seen any classic gundam shows? Like pre-Wing era? I once thought SEED was a "good" show, but then I watched Zeta, Turn A, the original MSG, etc. It's cool if SEED's your thing, but I can't even really call the original "good" anymore after seeing some of those other shows. It's on the same level as Wing to me. It's watchable, but not great.

As for doing something new in SEED, as long as we continue getting Gundam stuff I like, I don't mind. If we do get another SEED movie/show, I hope we have the Gundam the Origin anime/ova running at the same time. Even better if we got an adaptation of Crossbone or Sentinel. If a new SEED thing is all that's running at the time, I'll be a very sad Gundam fan.

Steroyd

If I were to start watching Gintama, is there any filler I can/should skip? I realize the show goes on breaks, but thought I might as well ask. There's a ton to catch up on and I think I want to minimize that as much as possible.

It goes on breaks so there is no filler, and when it is filler they're usually bitching about how the episode is filler, or there's budget cuts or how their timeslot has been moved.

Ebiten - 01

I have no idea what to think of what I just watched, it's basically your typical school club room with a 100% female ratio, there's a fujioshi drooling over BL doujin that gets her clothes taken off and bondaged, and it did a Saint Seiya parody that went on for the whole second half of the episode.

Wow, I have no opinion of what I just watched, can't remember if that's happened to me before.

duckroll

Jojo's Bizarre Adventures - Episode 1

I really enjoyed this. They went through the early material of Phantom Blood really quickly, but not in a bad way. There are some really nice transitions in the direction, and a good sense of pacing the runtime around the contrast of Dio and Jonathan instead of covering every single event or detail. It's clear that David Production is not some top-tier animation studio with superstar animators or a huge budget, but with what they had they really made it work. Scenes which matters had good animation, lots of creative visual usage to create tone and shift the focus of the presentation. The best part is how exaggerated the setting and the art is, intentionally make a very dated feeling anime production which fits the period setting of the story.

Yeah, I think this is really going to work out. :)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Jojo's Bizarre Adventures - Episode 1

I really enjoyed this. They went through the early material of Phantom Blood really quickly, but not in a bad way. There are some really nice transitions in the direction, and a good sense of pacing the runtime around the contrast of Dio and Jonathan instead of covering every single event or detail. It's clear that David Production is not some top-tier animation studio with superstar animators or a huge budget, but with what they had they really made it work. Scenes which matters had good animation, lots of creative visual usage to create tone and shift the focus of the presentation. The best part is how exaggerated the setting and the art is, intentionally make a very dated feeling anime production which fits the period setting of the story.

Yeah, I think this is really going to work out. :)

Yeah, I really liked the atmosphere they managed to produce - it has just the right amount of drama without taking itself too seriously, which really fits JoJo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom