• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
[Magi] - 1

- Alibaba came to a dramatic realisation about himself by the end of the episode, but I didn't feel like there was any build up to this important moment. Perhaps it was paced better in the manga because here is felt unearned.

The early manga was not very good as well, all the
I JUST WANT FRIENDS
scenes were done just as poorly there.

cajunator

Banned
Shinsekai Yori - Pretty interesting series thus far, hoping to see more. This might turn out to be my hidden gem of the season.

It has a really fascinating atmosphere to it.
Really intrigued.
The cute character designs help, but it just gives off this really cool mysterious vibe.

Reknoc

Magi 1

This was really well made. It looked great at times, problematic mouths aside, and sounded amazing. They even did a really good job of translating the mangas art. So it's a shame the beginning felt so... butchered and will likely carry on this way until the Balbadd arc starts.

Ultimadrago

From the New World 2

rotpkqfv.png

This episode starts with yet another story straight from the school books of a young man
not taking into account and action the teachings of the school. This boy too would also choose isolation from his society for the greater good because of the "wrong" they committed and punishment that followed.
It's quite a conditioning treatment from the organization. For maximum effectiveness, they have the students read the stories aloud rather than simply being told by the instructor.

The tournament section of the episode was fine. Though, I'm not fond of the heavy CG usage for the game. It simply didn't look good. The segment of the episode gave a closer look at how the peers in the school interact on a cooperative and competitive level. Additional insight into the personality of the group, such as who is willing to speak out when something undoubtedly questionable has come up (an important detail or trait given their environment).

Saki with the Queerats
is another example of her growing rebellious nature with traditional teachings.
Of course, not everyone is more-than-happy to tango with such actions. I'd believe future friction is inevitable based on these early events that will feed into the development of the characters. As far as creating that basis, From the New World has worked effectively.

Overall, while not to the same degree as the first, I had a good time with the episode. I look forward to what fresh executions this show will take with its direction to further build the world and the main cast.

Final note: Great ED.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Finished Gurren Lagann. Talk about a big fat meh of an ending. I was catching all the existential stuff they were throwing but it was pretty repetitive. Maybe I should have just watched the movie for the second half as was suggested.

Anyway, now I'm a bit burned out on yelling willpower battles. What should I watch next?

-Darker Than Black 1 & 2
-Gankutsuou
-Tatakai Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
-GitS S.A.C 1 & 2
-Fate/Zero 1&2
-PlanetES
-The World only God Knows 1&2
-Ozma
-Mononoke
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Paranoia Agent
-Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Finished Gurren Lagann. Talk about a big fat meh of an ending. I was catching all the existential stuff they were throwing but it was pretty repetitive. Maybe I should have just watched the movie for the second half as was suggested.

Anyway, now I'm a bit burned out on yelling willpower battles. What should I watch next?

-Darker Than Black 1 & 2
-Gankutsuou
-GitS S.A.C 1 & 2
-Fate/Zero 1&2
-PlanetES
-Ozma
-Mononoke
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Paranoia Agent

Those ones.

cajunator

Banned
Kind of curious why everyone is saying the second episode isnt as good as the first.
Does it take a different direction? Was the first episode just that good to you guys?

Narag

-Darker Than Black 1 & 2
-Gankutsuou
-GitS S.A.C 1 & 2
-Fate/Zero 1&2
-PlanetES
-Ozma
-Mononoke
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Paranoia Agent

Ozma doesn't belong on that list. Super disappointment.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

-Darker Than Black 1 & 2
-Gankutsuou
-GitS S.A.C 1 & 2
-Fate/Zero 1&2
-PlanetES
-Ozma
-Mononoke
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Paranoia Agent

Best 5 shows on that list by far. Go with one of those.

I would recommend either Gankutsuou or Planetes the most out of those.

cajunator

Banned

-Darker Than Black 1 & 2
-Gankutsuou
-GitS S.A.C 1 & 2
-Fate/Zero 1&2
-PlanetES

-Ozma
-Mononoke
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Paranoia Agent

Preferably all of the bolded.

-Darker Than Black 1 & 2
-Gankutsuou
-GitS S.A.C 1 & 2
-Fate/Zero 1&2
-PlanetES
-Ozma
-Mononoke
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Paranoia Agent

Get rid of Ozma and add Tsuritama.

Soma

-Darker Than Black 1 & 2
-Gankutsuou
-GitS S.A.C 1 & 2
-Fate/Zero 1&2
-PlanetES
-Ozma
-Mononoke
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Paranoia Agent

I liked the Gurren Lagann ending but it's been years since I watched the whole thing through.

Also, I recommend the bolded. Mononoke, Madoka, and Fate/Zero are probably my top three favorite out of those.

Ultimadrago

-Gankutsuou
-Fate/Zero 1&2
-Paranoia Agent

I've watched these, the titles in bold, I recommend.

Branduil

-Darker Than Black 1 & 2
-Gankutsuou
-GitS S.A.C 1 & 2
-Fate/Zero 1&2
-PlanetES
-Ozma
-Mononoke
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Paranoia Agent

You shouldn't list things that don't exist like DtB season 2, people will get confused.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

-Darker Than Black 1 & 2
-Gankutsuou
-GitS S.A.C 1 & 2
-Fate/Zero 1&2
-PlanetES
-Ozma
-Mononoke
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Paranoia Agent

Fate/Zero. Easily.

Instro

-Darker Than Black 1
-Gankutsuou
-GitS S.A.C 1 & 2
-Fate/Zero 1&2
-Planetes
-Mononoke
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Paranoia Agent

I just went ahead and removed the stuff I would not recommend watching.

Well, Robotics;Notes and the true end of Steins;Gate (kind of spoiler)
share the same Divergence Ratio
. Maybe the movie is a prologue for Robotics;Notes.

cajunator

Banned
I heard it's basically all battles, though. Are they more interesting than in Gurren Lagann? I heard there is no real "hero" and "enemy" so that sounds cool, at least.

Madoka Magica is really really really really good by the way.
Easily in my top 10, and thats not a joke or a troll suggestion.

kayos90

I heard it's basically all battles, though. Are they more interesting than in Gurren Lagann? I heard there is no real "hero" and "enemy" so that sounds cool, at least.

Wait... what? Which scumbag told you this?

Branduil

It's not really anything like Gurren Lagann.

Most of that list is fine except for crap like The World God Only Knows or Ozma.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

I'd avoid F/Z, there's a number of other shows on your list that are far more worth watching.

BluWacky

If you want something COMPLETELY different, watch one of these shows:

-Mononoke
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Paranoia Agent

They are all much more thoughtful (to the point that you might find it a negative in the case of Lain). Several of the other shows on your list are good, but to narrow things down a little I'd suggest those as a complete change of pace.

cajunator

Banned

Fate Zero does have a LOT of talking in it.
The battles really arent that prevalent. Its morel ike positioning chesspieces on a board for the main attack. Its slow to devleop but pretty good.

survivor

Banned

-Darker Than Black 1 & 2
-Gankutsuou
-GitS S.A.C 1 & 2
-Fate/Zero 1&2
-PlanetES
-Ozma
-Mononoke
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Paranoia Agent
Mononoke and Planetes are amazing

kayos90

Fate Zero does have a LOT of talking in it.
The battles really arent that prevalent. Its morel ike positioning chesspieces on a board for the main attack. Its slow to devleop but pretty good.

Except it's like a 7-player chess game. lolz.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
One Piece - Water 7 + Enies Lobby Arcs (220-325)
Also known as My Nakama Can't Possibly Be This Awesome

Sometimes when I'm watching this show I realize that it's so good I could just die.

It'll be hard to avoid spewing hyperboles everywhere in this post. This show gets a lot better with each passing arc, and, hell, I already adored it back in the Baratie days. Then came Arlong, Baroque Works, Skypiea... And now this. How does Oda do it? I have absolutely no idea. But he does.

It took me many months to watch these 100 episodes, but it wasn't because I didn't want to just rush through them. In fact, every single time when I did sit in front of the TV to watch one short chapter, I ended up watching five or six in a row. But things got in the way, and now some of the early events are already a little bit hazy in my head, haha. But let's do this.

Water 7 - which I eventually learned to describe as
the largest introductory arc ever
- was basically an emotional rollercoaster. Right at the beginning you get
Aokiji leaving Robin and Luffy for dead,
and that surely sets the tone for the events to come. When the crew reached the water metropolis, I was a bit weirded out by how chill those first episodes were... But then
Usopp Vs. Luffy
happened. The limits of nakamaship were tested, and I said "goddamn" out loud. Then Robin started being annoying, some guys on masks appeared, some mysteries were teased... And finally shit got real!

I must say:
it was obvious from the very start that Califa wasn't just a secretary, but Kaku being one of the CP9 really shocked me. I guess it shocked Oda too, considering the dialogue between him and Zoro after his defeat later. Hell, I honestly wasn't even expecting Lucci to be evil... But I guess I can't really blame myself for that, because his pidgeon made me let my guard down. Anyway: I thought the twist was really well-planned, because I honestly didn't see it coming. I had no idea what was going to happen.
Obviously, everyone got beat up, and only then the truth behind all that was going on surfaced:
Robin was trying to save their asses. Then came Nami to demonstrate one of the reasons why One Piece is so wonderful: there are no training arcs. "Now that Luffy and the others know what's really going on, they won't hold back." Squeeee.

During the
sea train chase mini-arc,
Oda made us remember a couple of things:
1 -
Sanji is a badass.
2 -
Luffy and Zoro are gods. WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO TO THE AQUA LAGUNA, man.

Also, it became clear who this arc was really about (besides Robin, obviously):
Usopp and Franky.

I really liked the way the Water 7 arc was structured.
Despite not having any big fights like one would expect, it was never boring because the new characters were all pretty fun to watch and because the city itself is a great location, as demonstrated by the scene in which Kaku jumped around the rooftops. Just like Skypiea, it was a place unlike any other we had seen before.

... But Enies Lobby was oh so much better.

It's hard to even describe, really. This arc was basically the pinnacle of shounen anime.

Man, dat opening. DAT OPENING.

The fact that they
managed to invade the island was awesome enough, but when all six of them stood on the rooftop facing the tower with CP9, Robin and Franky... I never thought I could manage that big of a smile. And then comes freaking Sogeking and burns the goddamn flag downaadisudanirjefwdisjpofiwefomdfs

- All of the fights were amazing. All of them.
Yes, even Franky x Fukuro. Hell, I think Zoro x Kaku was the worst of the bunch, and it was fantastic. There were so many mindblowing moments all around. Luffy's first Gear Second against Blueno. Chopper's legitimately scary transformation. Nami's fight. Sanji's molten lava legs. The sakuga in Luffy x Lucci. Then Gear Third... And finally Lucci going down Crocodile style³. Wooooooow. Hell, even when no one was fighting there were amazing moments, like Usopp sniping everyone on the bridge.
-
Franky (I'm spoiling his name because I found out not everyone knows who joins the crew in this arc, and that's kind of mindblowing)
was awesome.
What a bro, man. If I wasn't such a huge a Luffy x Robin shipper I'd totally jump on the old guy x old lady OTP boat.
- The tension levels were unbelievable the entire time.
And in that final scene in which they decide to jump into the ocean, only to be saved by the Merry... ;_;

After everything was done, obviously,
came Garb to put Luffy back in his place and show the viewers that he's still irrelevant in the large scheme of things. Oh, not feeling threatened enough yet? Then here's the king of overpowered logia Blackbeard... Overpowering the already overpowered Ace.

Oh, and I've already bowed down before our new CG overlords, so
the Thousand Sunny gets a big OK in my book.

What a ride, man. The humor, the tension, the epicness - Oda and Toei nailed everything. This show can't possibly get better than this. And don't tell me if it does or does not - I'm in for life anyway.

(Oh, and just for kicks, here are my Skypiea and Davy Back Fight impressions. I couldn't find my old Arabasta post :/)

Edit: Narag is a true bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom