• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

I regret it, Ultimadrago... I clearly do... but I also think this must be known, so we can see by ourselves what atrocities the human being can do!

We must never forget, my friend!

So, er... do I have to be the one posting those impressions?

Aye. The horrors of today to warn the children of tomorrow!

...and yes, I would love to see your impressions!

SD Nichijou. Might as well not even bother.

I'm taking what they're givin' me, BGBW!

/XX/

You have to see the worst to truly appreciate the best. /XX/ is actually helping us by hurting us.
You understand me better than anyone, comrade! This is why it hurts when you aren't here as much as you used to... :-(

O.K., O.K., I understand your circumstances, but...

...and yes, I would love to see your impressions!
... but... but...

... oh, very well. Or, better yet... no... I don't know if I can!

What have I done to me here?

Cwarrior

It's shounen sunday jojo then hxh then one piece then toriko.

Jojo Jojo Jojo Jojo Jojo Jojo ep2

Hot damn that Manly opening, I didn't read or look at anyones posts So I wasn't ready, now am going to be whispering jojo all day, some castlevania esque intro.
LYd0S.jpg
When man with tree trunk like legs says this to you, know to start sweating bullets.

Awesome episode, mora speedwagon mora everyone one cause there just so awesome.

Code: Breaker 2
tumblr_mbvgpz9mpT1qlp43g.png

The school scenes wont ever get old as long as we keep Ogami their smiling all the time and everyone consistently misinterpreting what happens whenever someone talks to him. Dont know why people are dropping it, theres is nothing wrong with Ogami. He's easily one enjoyable protagonist and the blue flames are beautiful. The scene when he used his ability on the Moonbucks coffee and all the glass was gorgeous. In this universe what he does surely isnt wrong if no one else is gonna take care of it. If only
Sakurakouji
could understand.

Yuuki is hilarious with his Nyanmaru love (better than Mewton (sub)).
Yuuki v Hitomi, I guess that his name there, electricty, and red fire), Hope it delivers on the action that wasnt much present this episode)

One thing this series has so far is, for all the code:breaker'ers, not a single bad design. Toki will probably be my favorite, but Yuuki and Ogami definitely tied for 2.

Maedhros

Nichijou Episodes 1-5

Holy shit this is fucking funny. I rarely ever legitimately laugh from movies, tv shows, anime or games but this is getting me to laugh constantly. Everything just happens out of no where and it's all so ridiculous. If the rest of the series is this good it'll be one of my favourite animes.

What other anime is this funny? Any recommendations?

You have a seriously strange sense of humor. I couldn't really laugh until episode 3, but just one time. Some later episodes are better in humour, but not that much anyway.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Nichijou Episodes 1-5

Holy shit this is fucking funny. I rarely ever legitimately laugh from movies, tv shows, anime or games but this is getting me to laugh constantly. Everything just happens out of no where and it's all so ridiculous. If the rest of the series is this good it'll be one of my favourite animes.

What other anime is this funny? Any recommendations?

Yay! Always glad to see more Nichijou bros.

Recommend you watch Gintama. Another fantastic show, really its the only shounen I even like. I'm like 100 episodes behind, whenever I decide to catch up it'll be a great ride.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I believe Joshiraku features political jokes (and I would guess that Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei does too?), but most anime really aren't targeted towards an audience that's interested in that kind of thing. Anime comedy is generally about parodies or sex comedy stuff; there's not really much of a place for political jokes.

One would think that otaku would have become more politically active after the indecency bill, Ishihara publicly expressing his loathing for anime fans, etc.

I suppose they're an interest group that no one represents, hence the apathy!

BluWacky

One would think that otaku would have become more politically active after the indecency bill, Ishihara publicly expressing his loathing for anime fans, etc.

I decided to Google up Japanese humour in an attempt to learn about something other than manzai, and thought this article was interesting. It talks about launching a Japanese version of Saturday Night Live, and mentions specifically that political commentary was off-limits for it. So maybe it's still slightly "taboo" to make fun of politicians?

There's also some interesting commentary on adapting the musical Spamalot for Japan, but to be honest it's not that different to what they've done to the show for other territories so I'm not surprised by that.

Orlandu84

So you want him to take a sword and kill the guy in the hospital room when it's already said that he is the reason she is still alive ?He is isn't in the game anymore..that was also one of the point of this episode , no sword skills , no powers and the loss of a moral support.Expecting anything that him realising his helplessness would have been totaly unrealistic

Probably same DNA

My problem is that Kirito goes from a decent hero (decently good problem solver and killer) to a bag of wet noodles. How has Kirito learned to solve his problems in SAO? He has learned to 1. analyze his enemies, 2. figure out their weak point, and 3. exploit said weak point. In the game world Kirito quickly figured things out and did whatever he had to do in order to survive and save his friends. In the real world he doesn't even try. That lack of an event an attempt annoys me.

I do admit your point that this episode was about showing Kirito hitting rock bottom in the real world. My problem is precisely that they are splitting Kirito into two different personalities: the heroic online figure and the wuss offline one. Someone like the Kirito in the game world would have tracked down the weirdo "fiance" and figured out how to deal with him. Instead he is reduced as a character for no good reason but to lengthen the narrative. I am not saying that Kirito should have bought a sword and used it to fix his problems. I am saying that he should have at least thought about it, concluded that would not work, and then come up with a plan that might work. Kirito survived the game world not because he had great skills but because he was a loner who thought things through. If Kirito only cannot learn to be a hero in the real world from the game world, I do not see how he can be a credible or interesting character.

cajunator

Banned
It's shounen sunday jojo then hxh then one piece then toriko.

Jojo Jojo Jojo Jojo Jojo Jojo ep2

Hot damn that Manly opening, I didn't read or look at anyones posts So I wasn't ready, now am going to be whispering jojo all day, some castlevania esque intro.

When man with tree trunk like legs says this to you, know to start sweating bullets.

Awesome episode, mora speedwagon mora everyone one cause there just so awesome.

One show that I totally agree with you on.

My heart. x_x

No shit <3

Catgirls show. :/

Actually, its a magical girl show but yes, Mew Ichigo's transformation is indeed a catgirl, and its glorious.

My problem is that Kirito goes from a decent hero (decently good problem solver and killer) to a bag of wet noodles. How has Kirito learned to solve his problems in SAO? He has learned to 1. analyze his enemies, 2. figure out their weak point, and 3. exploit said weak point. In the game world Kirito quickly figured things out and did whatever he had to do in order to survive and save his friends. In the real world he doesn't even try. That lack of an event an attempt annoys me.

I do admit your point that this episode was about showing Kirito hitting rock bottom in the real world. My problem is precisely that they are splitting Kirito into two different personalities: the heroic online figure and the wuss offline one. Someone like the Kirito in the game world would have tracked down the weirdo "fiance" and figured out how to deal with him. Instead he is reduced as a character for no good reason but to lengthen the narrative. I am not saying that Kirito should have bought a sword and used it to fix his problems. I am saying that he should have at least thought about it, concluded that would not work, and then come up with a plan that might work. Kirito survived the game world not because he had great skills but because he was a loner who thought things through. If Kirito only cannot learn to be a hero in the real world from the game world, I do not see how he can be a credible or interesting character.

The way you describe him makes him sound an awful lot like Haru doesn't it?

Mandoric

Banned
I decided to Google up Japanese humour in an attempt to learn about something other than manzai, and thought this article was interesting. It talks about launching a Japanese version of Saturday Night Live, and mentions specifically that political commentary was off-limits for it. So maybe it's still slightly "taboo" to make fun of politicians?

There's also some interesting commentary on adapting the musical Spamalot for Japan, but to be honest it's not that different to what they've done to the show for other territories so I'm not surprised by that.

For the past 80 years, making fun of Japanese politicians has been either a) poking your tongue out at the fascists, who then proceeded to have you beaten to death; or b) trying to find something amusing about an endless wall of grey, one-party-rule, technocrats and bureaucrats.

Couple that with sponsors not wanting to make waves and a national sense of humor that's tuned towards puns and juxtaposition rather than roasts or tall tales.

duckroll

SAO Ep1-14:

SAO Ep15:

SAO Ep16-25:

Alfred is the imouto.

To bring up an example relevant to this thread, Gintama got in hot water after an episode aired mocking a politician (even though the parody was not especially political in nature). So yeah, I think making fun of politicians is not as generally acceptable there as it is in the West.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Mandoric mentioned this before I got a chance to respond, but it also occurs to me that what little knowledge I have of individual Japanese politicians makes them seem extremely bureaucratic and generally lifeless. Political humor works here because politicians (well, the ambitious ones) exhibit more individuality and, in turn, this gives them more visible foibles to be lampooned, but in a society where elected officials simply operate as a single drone within their party's collective, there's not a lot to mock.

Envelope's avatar, holy shit I'm dying :)))))))))))))))))

I'm dying too, because he shanked me in a dark alleyway for mine and left me for dead :(

SAO Ep1-14:

SAO Ep15:

SAO Ep16-25:

Alfred is the imouto.

Better late than never if you still want the OT to be titled The Dork Knight Rises :p

Like i said this isn't a game were all you have to do is to find a weakpoint and attack..

I'd argue that kirito doesn't have 2 personalities ... he is confident some things and totally weak in others..

Even batman can't solve everything if he doesn't have enough preparation time to do it ..
Watch him fight back in his own way
SAO Ep1-14:

SAO Ep15:

SAO Ep16-25:

Alfred is the imouto.
MUST .... NOT ....LAUGH

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Sukitte Ii na yo - 02

Arai
is a total [censored]. I can already see her
causing trouble for Mei
further down the road. Speaking of Mei, big props to her
for standing up for her friend/temporary rival against those jealous assholes.
I'm glad Asamichi
gave up her pursuit on Yamato, even though settling with his friend made it a minor setback (should've stayed single)

Praying
that ends quickly.

Oh well, here's hoping
Yamato screws up and causes Mei to leave him, so she can start a true relationship with Asamichi.

Yamato's hair still looks like shit.

Grzi

Hunter X Hunter - 51

Wow.
A great episode that almost confirms that this remake is the superior version of the show. I'll wait for a couple of more episodes to see how it all plays out, but the way things are going, this is the show to watch for the best animated HxH experience.
What makes me even more excited is the fact that the Greed Island arc is almost guaranteed to be better than the OVAs, and we'll probably get the Chimera Ant arc. Hell yes.

The only thing the first show has going for it right now is the darker color palette (which won't matter after this arc anyway) and the second OP, one of the best ever.

People who stopped watching the remake because of the lackluster beginning need to get back to watching this shit right now, it's fucking great.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Didn't you know? You give a six year old Kirito a gobstopper, half a shoelace and an assortment of Lego bricks and he'll build a PC from them. Not even Batman can do that.

Pooya

Sword Art Online - 15

screw it, I bit the bullet and watched it, it's almost like you're left out when all the 'cool kids' are watching and talking about this and you're not :( . officially hate watching for now.

Man, it's amazing how much creepy stuff you can fit in one episode. It's really shameless that ALL the female characters, no matter who (even his 'mom' sorta lol), are all praising Kirito kun or falling for him. And that creep.. oh dear.

I hope at least
he can log in/ log out from this new game and we get to see more of real world here and there, because their new avatars look absolutely horrible and I can't stand watching them all the time through 10 more episodes.

the OP/ED are actually petty cool overall, better than first ones.

SAO Ep1-14:

SAO Ep15:

SAO Ep16-25:

Alfred is the imouto.

I can't stop laughing.

/XX/

That is why I mentioned long running slice-of-life series as an example, that explores that kind of themes because they reach bigger audiences. Even innocent Sazae-san sometimes has slipped its own satirical view, on politics that affect traditional family matters, but more in the 'caricaturesque' manner that I said before. From what I've seen, maybe Kochikame could be a better example, although without being something very crude.

However, all this happens without escaping from that 'faceless representative of a generic political party', as target of the criticisms.

Envelope Hito didn't die!
I've made this post (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43179429&postcount=191), but nobody answered!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To be fair they only have themselves to blame. Expecting people to pay £60 for two episodes? That's the biggest joke from the whole show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom