• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemisia

Banned
oh.

ibh8TdeEss21aC.gif

oh

garbaj.gif

#rememberwhen

inthezone said:
Owl City's song with Carly Rae JESUS is #5 on itunes.

Im afraid your hopes and dreams of this POP PHENOMENON to just be a ONE HIT WONDER are about to be SQUASHED.

tumblr_m3o2f1RnVR1rp2w1u.gif

She truly is THE NEXT SAVIOR SWIFT :3

I wonder how quickly its back will turn on its flavor of the month this time?

i3jE2mfrg1nIF.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
10. RIHANNA – Diamonds: 97.683 (+ 2.671) 11. KE$HA – Die Young: 87.186 (+ 1.685) ▲

Rih with that biggest update of the day again, increasing it's lead over Die Young.

Radio Queen, tbh.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
@NICKIMINAJ This is actually NOT the PINK FRIDAY FRAGRANCE COMMERCIAL, u guys will see that in a week or 2, this is internet promo http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=igsGX...ature=youtu.be …

@NICKIMINAJ The actual commercial has no similarities to this one... not even the song "whip it" =p

@NICKIMINAJ Nope! a song from the #REUP!!! mwahahahhaaha *evil laugh* > RT @OnikaNickiRoman @NICKIMINAJ Is still a song off of PFRR??

ibh8TdeEss21aC.gif

Mariah's fake emotions.

5zvrU.png

Can't disagree with this.

<3 Mariah and her music....but I have watched quite a few interviews lately (catching up before idol) and she comes off as incredibly scripted and fake in 100% of them. I mean......Nicki has NOTHING on Mariah musically but she comes off as much less fake in one on one interviews.

Hopefully Mariah can snap out of it during the show itself.

Nemesis_

I have a CHALLENGE to SPICE THINGS UP or POPGAF maybe since this thread is full of nothign but shade at this point ;_;

ALL OF YOU could nominate ONE ALBUM from UR FAVE for me to LISTEN IN FULL to and REVIEW.

I will do it as quickly as possible and will be HONEST, OPEN and SUBJECTIVE.

Entries are still open if you are interested!

tsrDH.jpg

RECEIPTS:
Unavailable, last.fm didn't track any of this for some reason >_>

Settle Down is one of my favourite songs and one that first got me thinking I should check out "this Kimbra bitch's" other music. It was also possibly her first song to receive airplay here. I love the verses but the refrain is a little bit disappointing for me. It just doesn't really go where I want it to. Still, this is a nice and soulful opening to the album and easily one of her standouts. The clip is cool too.

Something In The Way You Are is the first track that I had never heard before (as I owned the original version of Vows). The beat is pretty good, but much like recent music has really got this Donkey Kong Country vibe to it :| Her vocals are nice and soulful in this song too, and I like the way it kind of takes off with a more complex production about 1:00 in. The kind of airy ethereal tone to her voice during the refrain and chorus is great, not really a fan of her "yelling" style of vocal during the main verses though.

Cameo Lover is one of the more popular Kimbra songs - the crowd went off when she played it on her recent tour. I don't really like it, I know this will sounds really TERRIBLE of me but I just think it's too happy but I totally understand why people jam to it so much. I like that this song is a bit less soul and a bit more.....something else and makes Kimbra seem a little bit more versatile.

Two Way Street is a return to the slower, more soulful Kimbra after what we could say is a more vibrant outburst of emotion in Cameo Lover. This is probably one of my least favourite Kimbra singles in both the song and the clip itself (which IMO is poorly executed). I wanted to skip this but I kept listening to see if it grew on me since the last few times I heard it but it just didn't do it for me. It just felt too slow.

Old Flame reminds me of another song by another soul singer but I can't really put my finger on it. I don't think it really goes anywhere and I found it quite disappointing. The production is pretty good, albeit basic, but saves this song from getting a one star. There were also times during this song where I was wondering if Kimbra was recording while eating or having her mouth full or something. Some of her enunciating is just plain weird.

Good Intent is one of my favourite songs on the album. The production on this song feels like an early 50s era jazz piece, but Kimbra's vocals give it this kind of air of mysteriousness. I really, really like it. It's not a high tempo dance track, but it's a great song to bop along to. Ever since I noticed her weird voice thing in Old Flame I noticed it a little bit here though, which was a bit offputting and worrying for the rest of the album. I like the way this song gradually feels like it gets more and more complex as more instruments get introduced to the backing track. It gives it this sense of urgency.

Plain Gold Ring (Live) is a bit boring. I don't like the harmonising. It really doesn't do it for me, though the guitar gives it this kind of country edge that I like (despite hating that entire genre). It kind of sounds like one of those songs that some depressed starlet sings to on the fly without any minor preparation.

Come Into My Head is like, one of the greatest songs ever. This song is such a jam, I absolutely ADORE it. The uplifting jazz essence, the fact that both the production and Kimbra's tone crescendos gives it this NEUROTIC YET OH SO AMAZING feeling. I am in love, this is one of my favourite songs and I feel absolutely FUCKING ROBBED that this wasn't on my original purchase of Vows. It's fitting that Kimbra chose the treatment for the video that she did, it really suits not only the "head / mind" idea of the song but also because this song is so infectious, it'll send you crazy. J'ADORE. It's soulful, it's sexy and it's overflowing with energy.

Sally I Can See You is another one of those annoying high voicey kind of songs. The rolling drums give the song a really uplifting and cheery vibe, but it doesn't really do anything for me. The transition from slow to really fast is just poorly handled and quite jarring, tbh.

MORE DONKEY KONG COUTNRY TEAS in Posse. This one reminds me of a more slower, more soulful version of Settle Down upon first listen. But as you listen to it more it opens up into this really well put together production. The way the beats interact with Kimbra's voice really brings it up to something else. These tracks that were exclusive to the international edition of the album are all pretty high quality thus far. It's quite telling (I hope) that these tracks were produced / developed at a later stage of Kimbra's career with what I can assume is more maturity and more of an idea of how her voice works.

Home is another one of those UPLIFTING songs that I really enjoyed the production on, but Kimbra's vocals just weren't up to scratch for me in this one. I really enjoy the harmonising, and, as mentioned, the production though and that really saves this one. It's cute.

The Build Up actually gives me weird Lykke Li teas for some reason, though I'm not sure why. This is easily one of the most scaled back songs I've heard from Kimbra. It kind of evokes memories of a Bjork song like Pagan Poetry or something. It's not exactly similar, but it has the same kind of dreary, ethereal tone and atmosphere to it. It's weird and I like it, although the name is quite ironic given it's tempo and nature. The use of the gong or something in the background is just perfect

Warrior is one of my favourite Kimbra tracks, though I'm not really sure why. It's relatively radio friendly, it's got a somewhat anthemic refrain and the production has this kind of retro styling to it. I really can't put my finger on why I love this track so much, but it's just such a great jam.

BONUS:
These tracks were included in my initial purchase of the album, and won't be included when calculating my review score. But I thought I would properly review them since I haven't really listened to my original copy of Vows outside of my absolute favourites.

Upon first turning on Call Me it reminded me of LET ME BLOW YOUR MIND by Gwen and Eve. But then it becomes much jazzier and upbeat, and really evokes memories of tracks like the veritable classic Superstitious. Of course, it's not as good and it's not really anything to write home about. It's just a bit of a nothing song that really doesn't do it for me. But if you like these kind of mid-tempo Jazz stylings from Kimbra, this is probably right up your alley.

A cool and nifty fast tempo song, Limbo gives me more jungle teas (though not quite Donkey Kong). Too many noises (the weird UH OOH UH OOH UH) things really distract me from the song though, and I can barely hear what she's saying. It's a unique song, but the noises that are made just remind me of the noises the Kongs make when they take damage. I don't know why this album reminds me so much of Donkey Kong Country, and I apologise for all the references. >_> It's uniqueness saves it, though I understand why it was left from the album.

Wandering Limbs

121wqx1xeddh.gif

Withdraw

121wqx1xeddh.gif

Somebody That I Used To Know

121wqx1xeddh.gif
121wqx1xeddh.gif
121wqx1xeddh.gif

a70NV.png

Vows is a great album, it's probably one of the best albums that I've really sat down and got into throughout this whole album review process thing, and I am really glad that I listened to the thing in full despite owning it for a year or so before it went international. The international edition definitely is superior, and I am pleased that this product was the one that international markets got to experience. I am definitely here for DANCEBRA and not SLEEPBRA, but she has a versatility that I admire.

I think Kimbra is incredibly talented, she's a great performer live, she had great chemistry with her audience when I saw her (the venue was small, but still) and she has the great ability to put on an intimate display and an energetic party all within one space of an hour or so. Vows solidifies this fact. I am excited to see what she will bring to the table next.

COMING UP NEXT:

TAHcw.jpg

The ArchAndroid by Janelle Monae for Crumpet

SaintZ

Flawless review as per, Nemesis_. Although both Settle Down and Cameo Lover have the same level of enjoyment for me. I also enjoy Two Way Street a little bit more than most of the slow songs on the album. Plain Gold Ring and Withdraw are probably my least favorite songs.

Trigger

What a lovely review. *.*

I need to listen to Invisible Republic myself. Someone played a song from there in the DJ room once and I was slayed.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
"Losing You" is already one of the best tracks released this year, so I don't doubt the others will be pretty great.

So bummed that Dawn Richard's album got pushed off by three months because of a new distribution deal.

Koodo

Banned
Losing You has grown on me. I used to be bothered by that odd shrieking noise in the background, but now I don't mind.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
'Cause your sex takes me to paradise
Yeah your sex takes me to paradise
And it shows, yeah, yeah, yeah
'Cause you make me feel like, I've been locked out of heaven
For too long, for too long
Yeah you make me feel like, I've been locked out of heaven
For too long, for too long

rmeKY.gif

SaintZ

Deryck Whibley and his girlfriend dressed up as Avril and Chad Kroeger for Halloween

oJpa7.jpg

He needs to get over her, tbh. Also, Chad's response:

ZAtkE.jpg

ibfERMyvkKrTCz.gif

royalan

I CAN'T TELL IF THIS IS TERRIBLE OR IF THIS IS A BOP.

GNU&#268;&#268;I - DAMENA ft VAZ (prod. by Farkas)
GNU&#268;&#268;I - OH MY GOODNESS ! (prod. by Mash Up International)

Giving me Swedish M.I.A. teas tbh.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I completely understand what you when you say you're not sure this is a Bop. For me, the production...ehhh...could use some work. I know this is Indie Hip-Pop we're talking about, but even considering that the production is a little TOO bare.

BUT, and this is a big BUT, homegirl's vocals SLAY.

I loved the layering in the chorus of the first track. The vocals seemed to be on another level in comparison to the production of the track.

But then I listened to the second track, and was SLAYED BY GNUCCI in the first 30 seconds. 30 SECONDS.

I was like "No this white girl didn't just go INNNNNNNNNNNN like this!!!!"

bsKgS.gif

She's like this weird but oh-so-good mix of MIA and Nicki Minaj. Her swagger is SICK. She definitely needs to get with a better producer.

Coincidentally, I think one thing she has in common with MIA is that Diplo would be a good fit for her. She's got this real urban-ethnic quality to the way she flows, and that tends to pair really well with Diplo's superior beats.

I can hear her spitting mad fire on a Major Lazer track.

Definitely Bopping to this chick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom