• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Heropon

YUZ57.png
qw6iW.png

The Gullwings arrive at Bevelle to destroy Vegnagun with the help of Leblanc and her cronies to save the world again. The soldiers aren't very happy to see them and attack with their shotguns and flamethrowers. The priests in Bevelle talk about how Baralai has disappeared.

DpES8.png
qe5c1.png

After discovering some secret passages and pulling some switches, the party can go to a familiar place.

o5oNa.png
Dlnpp.png

Yuna returns to the temple where she adquired Bahamut. There are lots of fiends running around the place and a hole has appeared where the fayth was. That would mean a dead end for normal people, but these girls are pretty crazy and jump in.

7u0Ls.png
JUH9V.png

7zMev.png
Under Bevelle

Thanks to their adamantite legs, all the people survive the fall and discover an underground facility. But it has security measures and the alarm is raised. Leblanc does whatever she is told to do if that means facing less risk (but she complains a bit before obeying).

GNEO2.png
ajcvE.png

Yuna has the chance to slide down a chain after she couldn't do it in the last game because she was getting married. Some enemies the girls have to defeat are some evil machines.

dve5G.png
yQGAI.png

If they want to advance in the dungeon, the girls have to activate some towers and destroy some familiar enemies.

BRbMq.png
adlRH.png

Some platforms appear so the Gullwings can use them to advance. The last tower summons a boss:

Boss battle 17, Precepts Guard: It isn't too strong. It casts Gravity and Osmose so it's a bit annoying.

DL27C.png
ppVwS.png

The third platform appears, but there are more we can make appear to get a very interesting item. The next three platforms have to be rotated to serve as platforms by activating even more towers.

7EnQV.png
GDOsD.png

The girls have to fight more Precepts Guards and...

Boss battle 18, Georapella: It casts powerful spells to all the group, but thanks to my chemist I can heal 1000 HP for free. Having to fight several bosses without saving can be pretty dangerous without preparation. Luckily, they aren't the most damaging things in the world. As a reward, I get the ACCESORY: Ribbon. I give it to Rikku because she can heal status ailments better with her chemist job.

fGl9z.png
O9dPM.png

The party enters the first gate to follow their way until they find a fork. Following the right path leads them to a garment grid (Gravity Absorption, [G]Gravity effect, [R]Gravity and [YRG]HP x2).

RPgaD.png
PrGLN.png

The group ends in a big place with moving cells. Rikku notices that this is the place where the famous sphere (the one in which the Tidus clone appears) was recorded. A giant button can be pressed to stop them.

3T8jT.png
Xj1Cl.png

Thanks to jumping on them and Rikku, Yuna can get two accesories.

9PXme.png
X3jg5.png

In the last section of the dungeon Yuna has to board some vehicles and stand in certain places to rise some columns.

I4aAR.png

Thanks to that, the party gets another dressphere: Dark Knight. This dresphere specializes in status inducing magic and the Darkness attack, which damages all the enemies using some HP. It also has a kamizake skill and another one that attacks 10 times (a mini meteor clone). In the stat department, it's pretty slow but has high attack.

Gym7s.png
8ZRJI.png

Baralai appears to "defend" Vegnagun from my girls. Paine isn't going to stop here and doesn't evade the fight. And yes, Baralai knows Paine from before.

IXrXd.png
d1Pfg.png

7zMev.png
Fire Emblem 7 (SSBB) - Strike

Boss battle 19, Baralai: He is very powerful and can use his gun and his staff to do massive damage. If you didn't get the charm bangle earlier in this chapter (like me), this person has one in his posession to steal.

BkI37.png
S0ByK.png

After the battle, Baralai disappears without leaving a trace. Unfortunately, the huge machine we were looking for doesn't seem to be here.

NXFNd.png
Ynk56.png

But a random dark Bahamut appears from nowhere. Yuna doesn't want to fight it at first but it's a bit aggresive and they have to beat it.

E5c8j.png
SMnJt.png

7zMev.png
Yuna's Ballad

Boss battle 20, Bahamut: It can cast curse on a character (impossible to change dresspheres) and use Impulse (damage to everyone). Having a dedicated healer so the HP doesn't drop too much is a good idea to survive that...

lco75.png
yGGAg.png

...and the Mega Flare attack it will do after a while (it will start a count to warn about it).

RD4lF.png
hDY7B.png

It seems Vegnagun has escaped through a hole and Leblanc and his minions record everything.

84X7A.png
7jL81.png

Meanwhile, in the upper world, monsters have started to come out from all the temples!

End of Chapter 2

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just completed my second, and unplanned, playthrough of FFVIII.

I hate-hate-hate the Junction system but I seem to like the overall scenario and setting of FFVIII. Not to mention I like the music and the cheesy Eyes on Me spaceship scene.

Oh and Rinoa is still pretty even in old CGI.

CorvoSol

Couple of notes here:

1) I'm willing to finally say that FFVII's Materia system is, hands down, the best growth system in the entire series. It requires the player to hand pick which skills and spells they will use throughout the game, offers a variety of bonuses and such a staggeringly large range of customization that no other game in the series really even approaches. The Materia system is so, so good for that. It really gets the whole strategy thing right. The next best is 5's Job class system, and then I guess 4DS' augments.

2) On which note, I reject FFIVCC as the definitive version of FF4. FF4DS holds that title, in spite of having removed the extra 5 characters and Lunar trials. It holds it because, in spite of some really WEIRD translations at times, it nails the characterization. Cecil is the angster to nice guy. Golbez is the classiest motherfugger to ever pimp-slap a ho. Kain is so manly even the guys want him, and Edge is as annoying as you hoped. Everyone looks pretty much the way you'd expect, you can tell Palom and Porom apart, and the game is tough.
FFIVCC, in comparison, has weird translation going on, sorta off characterization, weird Super Saiyan Cecil who feels like he was done just for the DLC, and compensates for its lack of challenge with a jacked up encounter rate. It also has the inventory limit, which is ASS, compared to FFIVDS which had unlimited inventory and made Fat Chocobo a minigame.

3) If only, five years from now, a version of FF4 containing the Augments from 4DS and the bonuses of the GBA version were to come out.

4)It's hilarious how many times Cloud is all "HEY! YOU!" and an important character completely does not recognize him. Pres. Shinra doesn't, Sephiroth doesn't. It's hilarious. It's weird how plot-important Sephiroth's Tatoo is, but nothing beyond this game includes his tat. It's not in Dissidia, it's not in AC, not in CC, nothing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Only a few more days of this exam nonsense and then I can get back to FF4

...this is the most excited (since my late teen years) that i've been to play ff4...

CorvoSol

...this is the most excited (since my late teen years) that i've been to play ff4...

Man I've gotta redouble my speed if I'm gonna catch up! You're what, almost to the first Moon trip? Man, I haven't even done Zott yet.

Couple of notes here:

2) On which note, I reject FFIVCC as the definitive version of FF4. FF4DS holds that title, in spite of having removed the extra 5 characters and Lunar trials. It holds it because, in spite of some really WEIRD translations at times, it nails the characterization. Cecil is the angster to nice guy. Golbez is the classiest motherfugger to ever pimp-slap a ho. Kain is so manly even the guys want him, and Edge is as annoying as you hoped. Everyone looks pretty much the way you'd expect, you can tell Palom and Porom apart, and the game is tough.
FFIVCC, in comparison, has weird translation going on, sorta off characterization, weird Super Saiyan Cecil who feels like he was done just for the DLC, and compensates for its lack of challenge with a jacked up encounter rate. It also has the inventory limit, which is ASS, compared to FFIVDS which had unlimited inventory and made Fat Chocobo a minigame.

The problem with FF4 is that no matter which version you play, it is easily the worst game in the mainline series. Every version of the game has serious flaws, and they compound the fact that the game isnt that good to begin with. It blows my mind just how much better 3 and 5 are in comparison to 4. 4 is just the worst parts of 5 and 3 combined. Disagree? Come at me bro.

I'm actually playing FF3 right now and enjoying it. I love the old school role/points system where you only get to use skills a certain amount of times in a dungeon. The risk reward factor is awesome, as well as the ability to build up your individual role. Obviously the job system in FF5 blows the job system in 3 out of the water, but yeah, still a great game.

CorvoSol

The problem with FF4 is that no matter which version you play, it is easily the worst game in the mainline series. Every version of the game has serious flaws, and they compound the fact that the game isnt that good to begin with. It blows my mind just how much better 3 and 5 are in comparison to 4. 4 is just the worst parts of 5 and 3 combined. Disagree? Come at me bro.

I'm actually playing FF3 right now and enjoying it. I love the old school role/points system where you only get to use skills a certain amount of times in a dungeon. The risk reward factor is awesome, as well as the ability to build up your individual role. Obviously the job system in FF5 blows the job system in 3 out of the water, but yeah, still a great game.

I'd say 4 is better than 3, because as soon as 3 starts to get good it's over. And 4 is also better than 2, which had dungeon design from hell and the worst leveling system in the entire series. If 4 could combine the party swapping from the GBA version and the Augment system from the DS version, it would be a very good game. You'd have a neatly customizable party which would still have a fair amount of uniqueness to every member (EX only Kain can jump). Across its 4 main versions, 4 has a lot of good ideas, but they're not incorporated into one game.

I really can't rate 4 as the worst game in the series. It might not be stellar like 6-9, or 5 and 10's semi-stellar selves, but I mean, check it: The systems in 4 are objectively better than 2. The amount of content is better than 3. The story is better than 2, 3, and 13 at the barest of minimums. The soundtrack is iconic, and Golbez is the father of all Darth Vader clones in video games. It's a memorable package that was better than its predecessors, but is ultimately surpassed by shining performance of its successors.

jb1234

I don't know. I've only played the DS version of 3 and it has a lot of problems, many of them because I'm acutely aware the stuff they added for the remake doesn't always work. I suspect I'd like the game a lot more if it ditched its lame attempts at characterization and made the party members generic no-namers, like the original.

4 is one of the most entertaining FFs for me, for a variety of reasons. I grew up with it, I've played it many times and in many different versions (the DS being my favorite). 5 is fun but it's never been a favorite of mine. As goofy as Cecil and the gang often were, they at least had personalities. I find it challenging to find anything worth remembering in FF5's ragtag cast.

CorvoSol

Wait, what? This lady is one of my favorite cast members of any FF:

200px-Amano_Faris_III.jpg

Faris for the win!

It also had Krile, who is hands down one of the worst characters in the history of the entire series, trumped only by Genesis Rhapsodis and the unfortunate continued existence of Team NORA.

Krile Mayer Baldesion is awful. AWFUL.

That said, everybody else in 5 was great.

jaxword

The problem with FF4 is that no matter which version you play, it is easily the worst game in the mainline series.

Gonna have to go with No on that one. You can dislike FF4, but it is objectively better than FF2 because FF2 is literally unplayable.

No, you didn't. No one here did.

It also had Krile, who is hands down one of the worst characters in the history of the entire series, trumped only by Genesis Rhapsodis and the unfortunate continued existence of Team NORA.

Krile-ffv-map.png

2edz0v5.jpg.gif

Was she that bad? I can't remember.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the girl with the wind dragon who could talk to moogles. Well okay she was bad, but as bad as Team Nora?

CorvoSol

Krile-ffv-map.png

2edz0v5.jpg.gif

Was she that bad? I can't remember.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the girl with the wind dragon who could talk to moogles. Well okay she was bad, but as bad as Team Nora?

The hierarchy is thus:

1. Team NORA, for being the worst characters ever.
2. Genesis Rhapsodos, for being an unnecessary Red Sephiroth
3. Krile for trying to be better than the entire cast of FF5 and therefore being the most shameless Mary Sue after Genesis.
4. Snow, for being King Douchebag two games running.
5. If Minerva were an actual character, she'd go here. Otherwise 5 is a rotating slot for whoever I hate most at present. When I played XIII it was Hope, but since I am currently replaying 7 I'm half tempted to dump it on Yuffie, in spite of my love of her having been played by that girl from Even Stevens. It's probably actually Lisa from FFU, who contributed zilch to the entire show. Or Sherlotta from FFCCEoT, for being a creep.

jb1234

Krile at least has the defense of only being in the second half of the game. ;)

Entropia

No One Remembers

I'm behind on your last few upgrades. This thread has become almost unreadable with the amount of screenshots people have been posting. Plus they aren't as funny as yours.

flyover

XIII could have had a good cast, if it was Sazh and no one else.

I liked Sazh, but the problem with him as a protagonist would be that he had few flaws and little room for growth. He did have a storyline in XIII, but that was more about closure than growth.

I'd guess that was by design. He was the one to whom we were supposed to compare the other characters; they all should aspire to be more like him.

The others were all highly flawed, one-dimensional, stereotypical RPG characters at the beginning, and they each had to transcend that. I thought it was a pretty clever (and meta) conceit, actually.

The problem with it is that you could wind up hating most of them from the beginning -- and be less prone to giving them a chance to win you over. Hope is probably the best example of this, because he's the worst type of angry-whiny-RPG-kid character, at first. But he actually grows the most over the course of the game.

Can't believe I'm defending the characters of FF XIII, but I really think the designers had a clever plan for them. I just don't think it was executed as well as I'd have liked.

CorvoSol

I liked Sazh, but the problem with him as a protagonist would be that he had few flaws and little room for growth. He did have a storyline in XIII, but that was more about closure than growth.

I'd guess that was by design. He was the one to whom we were supposed to compare the other characters; they all should aspire to be more like him.

The others were all highly flawed, one-dimensional, stereotypical RPG characters at the beginning, and they each had to transcend that. I thought it was a pretty clever (and meta) conceit, actually.

The problem with it is that you could wind up hating most of them from the beginning -- and be less prone to giving them a chance to win you over. Hope is probably the best example of this, because he's the worst type of angry-whiny-RPG-kid character, at first. But he actually grows the most over the course of the game.

Can't believe I'm defending the characters of FF XIII, but I really think the designers had a clever plan for them. I just don't think it was executed as well as I'd have liked.

The main cast in XIII is a good concept, like everything else in XIII, but the execution was horrible. Having Lightning as a subversion of the happy/sad swordsman, having Snow as a failure hero, Vanille as the not-so-innocent-not-so-spunky girl, Hope as the not-so-genius-kid, Sazh as the cowardly old man (in FF the old men are usually very brave, like Tellah, Galuf, Cyan, and so on), and Fang as the not-traitor.

It played well into XIII's attempt at subverting all of the tropes III and IV established. The problem, as already mentioned, is that Toriyama is an idiot and couldn't execute the plot to save his life. The game COULD have been a great deconstruction of Final Fantasy, instead it became the poster for what people hate about it.

Anyway, I'mma get Aerith her dang limit breaks people, and then move on to Corel.

Heropon

m3vt4.png
BxbWJ.png

The world is in chaos, lots of monsters are emerging from the temples and the main leaders have disappeared. The only people that can solve all the problems are the Friendly Neighborhood Gullwings!

C4WfK.png
w6Bpt.png

Their first destination is the bed because discovering secrets is really tiring. Their next destination is seeing Kimahri to give him love. The kid starts installing telespheres everywhere he goes in Spira so he can spy from the ship.

Utf4q.png
KEzmx.png

Kimahri gives the trainer dressphere to the party thanks to answering correctly to him in the first chapter. He also tells about stopping the young ronsos from attacking the guado people, but I'm pretty busy so smell you later!

OrJoy.png
quRSd.png

The Gullwings are tired again from saving people and go to Luca to participate in a "sphere break" tournament hosted by Rin, who is pretty well accompanied.

vXXkt.png

I don't feel like explaining rules so I'll only say one thing: Screw the number one.

a3FJK.png
WYc1T.png

Yuna has to beat some poor kids to increase her self esteem. These ingrateful brats play with a blue sphere that can show the cursed number one. Two 1s almost destroy Yuna's chances to win the tourney.

Z1Lzj.png

Yuna's next rival is the "Dear dog". It can give a special garment grid during the game against it. It grants the person who equips it the ability to use all her learned white magic! Thanks doggie, maybe I let you play with Yuna's new dog.

oJMTu.png
8ybpU.png

While Yuna was playing with a cute dog, Rikku was getting her ass handed to her by Shinra. Time to get revenge on another poor kid!

Efutz.png
eYszc.png

After destroying Shinra, Yuna wins the Lady Luck dressphere. Its attacks are based on dices and reels, and can learn the EXP x2 skill to level up faster. It has some nice bonus like items x2, criticals x2 and the skill to bribe enemies.

HoCQB.png
gWCPy.png

At the start of the chapter, O'aka XXIII jumped from the airship to reclaim his shop in Macalania. Now we discover that it's surronded by lots of monsters from the sunken temple. The girls have to do six battles without going to the menu (they can return to the airship between battles, but they have to start again). The most dangerous monster is the Great Chimera that appears in the first and fourth battles and does massive damage.

6xcDz.png
D85Um.png

Use a special dressphere if you don't feel confident in killing it with the normal jobs. The reward for killing the monsters is getting a garment grid that grants the ability to use Sword Arts to non-Warrior dresspheres.

L8zna.png
WSICF.png

The poor Al Bhed that were protecting the shop are all dead and O'aka gets angry. He swears to take care of the shop in memory of the fallen debt collectors. The party gets another reward, the Berserker dressphere.

LAST TIME: we met a rather lippy flower girl, we restored Beowulf's dragon/girlfriend to her human form, and we got some of the best equips in the game. Tonight's update will introduce a new party member that pretty much everyone in the world knows. RET'S GO.

We start by heading allllll the way back to Goug, where we decide to hand over the Zodiac Stone that we plucked from the core of the other Robot.

bXqEb.png
2UDPc.png

Oh Mustadio. Just because the last thing your father unearthed ended up killing you doesn't mean that ALL of them will.

jMHen.png
psUwp.png

z01gx.png
Lrm6s.png

It's Cloud! And apparently we've plucked him straight from Final Fantasy VII. Right during the Lifestream segment, too...which doesn't make a whole lot of sense since he was supposed to be comatose during that part of the game. But whatever, let's continue.

CV6fL.png
I3QoH.png

W0Ngu.png
j95ss.png

I'm getting real tired of Mustadio's dad springing all of this knowledge on us at the last minute. You would think that it'd be helpful to tell us about this cool stuff beforehand. And to top THAT off, he goes and makes fun of Cloud's fashion sense! Although I guess he doesn't know about Cloud's cross-dressing tendencies...

NgzCT.png
eJpE1.png

Hi there Cloud! Let me go and introduce myself and the other two guys--

GCoZT.png
h8XEj.png

...What a jerk.

CMnzg.png

Seriously. Maybe he left his manners behind in FFVII.

Dn3pq.png

Oh great, now what is it? Is he going to try and feign illness to get some sympathy?

ZSv80.png

Sephiroth? Boy, he just loves weaseling his way into any game that Cloud is in, doesn't he?

HBXi2.png
OJIWA.png

And with that, he scampers out of the room going who knows where. Once this scene is over, we have to make our way to Sal Ghidos in order to continue the sidequest. Once we get there, we stumble upon another scene.

ESt2x.png

Does this girl ever quit?

38Uac.png
ndbAj.png

VVaqc.png

Still as snippy as ever, she is. No wonder nobody buys those flowers.

5O1dx.png
JNYOe.png

Ruh roh, here comes trouble. We also learn that the flower girl's name is Aerith. What a coincidence, right? :|

6IPYc.png
VJTuu.png

SGiOX.png

Wow, her family is in deep. 30,000 gil? What in the world did she need that much money for? Those damn flowers couldn't have cost THAT much to grow.

pdM21.png
i8i74.png

And here we see another instance of sexual innuendo. The new translation is a bit more brazen with it, but I think it'd be more effective if they didn't decide to give most of the minor guys cockney accents. Doesn't particularly match up with the "ye olde" accent most of the other characters have...or maybe it does and I'm just bad at this.

FbjIy.png
3NPOj.png

Hey, Cloud is back! And he's acting like a bodyguard for ol' Aerith. Where have...oh you already know what I'm going to say.

QBiaO.png
YJqNF.png

4kdzP.png

You heard the man, Aerith! Get your rinky-dink flowers and get out of there!

G1dbB.png
kyPLz.png

Vjyqz.png

What the hell is a "drubbing?" Before Cloud has a chance to ask that very question, he starts suffering from another headache like when he was first transported here. Doesn't look good to be having one of those right before you go into a fight completely outnumbered.

kkkVy.png
zY4TJ.png

vbUPn.png

Luckily, Beef and Co. arrive just in time to turn this into a Protection Mission! The battle is extraordinarily easy. Cloud spends the entire time running away from everyone (for good reason, too: he doesn't have a weapon equipped and he's at Level 1), and the enemies don't have any strong attacks to worry about. You would have to purposely try and fail this mission, it's so simple. Once the curbstomping is over and done with, Cloud starts talking.

uWYfA.png
FWs1V.png

What did you lose, man? We've got Treasure Hunters, we can help out.

4nkUX.png
XdE4X.png

Oh great, he's turning into that emo stereotype that everyone knows him by.

98Ss9.png
5SQGy.png

There we go! We'll get you back to Final Fantasy VII in no time!

x8Cg4.png
eka9g.png

B7eDB.png

And huzzah! We now have Cloud as a party member!

Cloud in FFTactics plays rather...odd, to say the least compared to some of the other special guest characters. He starts off at Lvl. 1, which is good and bad. Bad because he's obviously too weak to really help in fights once you get him, but it's also good because, if you're up to it, you can raise him in specific classes to really get some great stats. But for this playthrough I'm not looking to get perfect stats for everyone, so I just raised him the "normal" way.

Cloud has access to all of his Limit Breaks (including a new 8th one), but they don't work like traditional Limits. Cloud has a class command called "Limit" which lets him use any of the ones you've learned with Job Points, no matter what your health is. You simply pick a tile (they don't lock-on to units), then wait the corresponding charge time. Some of his Limits are quite good, and are the reason why Cloud can be such a great character to use. One in particular, Finishing Touch, has a 100% hit rate and has a chance of inflicting Stop, Stone, or Instant Death to any unit in range. While it's a VERY good attack, the status it uses is random and doesn't take into account what the target is immune to. This means that if you use it on an enemy that is immune to Stone, Finishing Touch will still have a chance to inflict Stone on them, and in turn will end up doing nothing. Some of the other effects of his Limits include dealing damage equal to what Cloud has taken, and dealing damage equal to what the TARGET has taken.

All of this sounds very good, but it comes at a price: in order to even use the Limit command, Cloud has to equip the Materia Blade, a weapon that can only be found by a unit with Treasure Hunter in the Bervenia Volcano map. Any other weapon equipped on Cloud will leave the Limit command unable to be accessed. Luckily, Cloud won't really need to be doing a lot of regular attacking since his Limits are inherently superior. You can also run him through the Time Mage class and learn Swiftness to reduce the charge time on his Limits, making them even better!

Lastly, as a special nod to FFVII, Cloud is able to equip female-only equipment no matter what class he is. What an easter egg!

NEXT TIME: We finally arrive at Limberry Castle, where we hope to rescue Alma.

Heropon

1gEq5.png
Eie69.png

7zMev.png
Final Fantasy IX - Boundary South Gate

After helping O'aka with the monsters, the Gullwings go to the woods to play with the minimusicians. They have a new friend, the giant sphere boss! Isn't it dangerous playing with something like that? Fortunately, this one is peaceful and gives a garment grid.

PDm9d.png
J3GTo.png

The first Hotspot I'm going to visit is Kilika because it has the second to last dressphere. The woman that wanted the Gullwings to find the thirteen monkeys in the forest gives you a garment grid that grants the ability of using Dark Knight skills.

Even if the temple is spitting out lots of monsters, the men guarding the wall that separates the town from the temple aren't letting the people of New Yevon crossing it so they can be safe. Thankfully, Dona offers herself to distract a guard so they can enter the forest.

UoTII.png
QTtOR.png

7zMev.png
Mother 3 - F-F-Fire!

To enter the forest the player has to push the x button when the guard that is talking to Dona isn't looking at the gate and obviously, when the gate is opened. The reward for not screwing up is an accesory that grants the ability of using Samurai skills, but I don't have that dressphere yet! The people in the forest are running away from the fiends. It's pretty sad how they aren't allowed to go to the town, but that's what happens when people are a bunch of idiots. Thankfully for them, Yuna exits!

a2aEl.png
SFDGV.png

The girls have to use the treetops to reach the temple thanks to additional barriers in the way. The Youth League is seriously putting all their efforts so the poor priests and bald kids die frightfully! Just when YRP reach the temple, they discover that the New Yevon people are trying to kill them too even if our girls are trying to save them. Everyone's crazy in Spira, they need a new Sin so they can complain about serious things again.

21PIU.png
T2P05.png

It seems the priests have some robots in their side against the ghosts and demons.

weQEI.png
y0pqN.png

The group finds Barthello inside the temple and tell him about how Dona misses him even if she hasn't said so. The mechanics of this place are pretty simple, touch the blue flames to fight the demons and continue.

CYKOR.png
TzSfN.png

There are two very important things in the middle of the temple: the Samurai dressphere and another aeon.

uTFvs.png
oBdhR.png

Boss battle 21, Ifrit: It attacks with fire, right? So I suppose it's a good idea using things to defend against that. Ice is effective but I wanted to level up jobs with other skills so I didn't use it. We can see in the first screenshot Yuna being lucky gambling and in the second screenshot she with her new dog friend. It's a clone of Yojimbo's dog, and the most interesting thing right now is that it can use sacred elemental attacks from the get go. The trainer dressphere is special because it doesn't have the same skills for every party member. Yuna's dog specializes in elemental attacks, Rikku's monkey in thievery and status skills and Paine's pheasant has a couple of negative and beneficial status inducing skills.

GrbMJ.png
fqReJ.png

Rikku also tries the Samurai dressphere. She inherits Auron's katana with it and can slice some poor monsters. Unfortunately, Ifrit still knows how to use its overdrive and incinerates all the party.

EanBr.png
mPYDl.png

Thanks to her garment grid, Rikku can use Curaga to save the party. Just when the monster is defeated, they discover another hole in the fayth room. Mission complete!

KPQm1.png

I remember then that I have to talk to the cameraman in Kilika again so I can get a pretty good accesory in the last chapter.

8yl8Q.png
0jqty.png

7zMev.png
YRP Battle #1

There's another mission in the Mi'ihen Highroad. The machines have become crazy and have to be destroyed so they stop attacking innocent people. The Al Bhed are trying to help too and they can dismantle them. Breaking more machines than them increases the reward, so that means destruction time!

fNTQP.png
yp6Qo.png

Some machines and people in danger are in really strange places, but the Gullwings have to go there too if they want the money. After all the 13 machines are destroyed the group adquires 10000 gil and a garment grid. A woman explains that the incident started after a hoover crashed.

And that ends this update!

CorvoSol

You know, Professor Beef, I think Cloud is probably my favorite unit in any Tactics game. He sucks a bunch, but getting him was SO COOL when I first played the game as a kid. If not him, then definitely Beowulf. I really love Beowulf and Reis' sidequest in the end of the game. So cute.

Anyway:
FF4CC
Blew up the Tower of Zott and was pleased that this game has an enhanced version of the Cecil/Rosa makeout sprites. The DS version only has them hug, I think, and it is the game's weakest moment for that. Made it down to the underworld and was pleasantly surprised to see that the Calcabrina were redone to resemble Calca and Brina from TAY. Beat Golbez for the last time (what a shame that all fights against him are scripted), and this is the only version of the game where Cecil actually TRIES to stop his hand from getting the crystal. Granted he still stands around like an idiot and does nothing, but when the hand is making its grab, he runs for it, FINALLY realizing what's going on. Oh, and while I never really felt this way before, the portrait for adult Rydia in this game is totally waifu material. Freakin' adorbs.

FF7 Finished the Gold Saucer, got the buggy, and I've taken a side trip back to Junon to get some Blue Magic and a component for Aerith's ultimate Limit Break. I don't know why I'm so hellbent on getting Aerith's ultimate equipment, but there you go. Also did my first chocobo race and realized that Square are morons for never again doing Chocobo racing THAT way. XIII-2 had it, but it wasn't the same. Square needs to make a Chocobo racing game. I mean, why the hell don't they? It's the logical step for Dissidia after Theatrhythm. Screw it, make Dissidia your new party series, Square. Chaos and Cosmos get bored and make the heroes do all kindsa crap for their entertainment.

Heropon

zRzOO.png
8VLlN.png

7zMev.png
Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver - Route 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/16/17/18/19/20/21/22

After destroying some machines, the group wants to know how are doing the Youth League and the Machine Faction. They're both okay defeating the emerging fiends thanks to their machine weapons. Yaibal doesn't let pass the girls to the Mushroom Rock Road and Gippal talks about his old times as Rikku's boyfriend. It seems Rikku feels embarrasment when she's the target of the gossip.

9jAER.png
Lxt1O.png

Tobli isn't being succesful with his show thanks to the lack of celebrities. Paine understands immediately what he wants and orders her friends to run. Yuna and Rikku aren't that opposed to be used and stop running because it can be "fun", yeah...

YuLp8.png

In their way to Guadosalam the girls encounter the weak version of the evil slug that tried to kill Yuna when she was younger. It doesn't have 4 million HP this time and dies pretty quickly.

Gz04c.png
ZvXBE.png

Meanwhile in Leblanc's chateau, Ormi and Logos try to imitate Nooj so the boss can feel better after her love's disappearance. Yuna, Rikku and Paine go to visit her to remind her of the sphere hunting to no avail. She was only getting spheres for her manly Noojie-Woojie.

jO5gT.png
R9eV7.png

Ormi and Logos tell the party about a sphere they recorded underneath Bevelle and tell them to go to Logos's room to see it. The group can go to a room to get an accesory that halves elemental damage and another crimson sphere.

GKSCk.png
YiGuF.png

In the recorded sphere, we can see Yuna's "back" and Nooj going through a door. After some mean looks to Logos from the girls, Logos tells them to not show this to Leblanc so she doesn't get even more worried.

UF8dl.png
V5XHE.png

Logos has another sphere in his possession. Tidus's clone appears in it and talks with the prison guard about Bevelle and the war. That keeps confirming that this boy is some kind of a real counterpart of Tidus.

1i4r9.png
liRaU.png

Maechen appears from nowhere and confirms that the sphere was recorded a thousand years ago during the Machina War. Yuna and him start talking about her guardian from Zanarkand and if there could be a way to make him come back. Their conclussion is that everything is connected but that right now Yuna can't delude herself into thinking that she's going to see Tidus again.

UJQNu.png

And thanks to all those scenes my completion percentage reachs 50%. Hurray!

LAST TIME: We enabled a debt-dodging flower escape her creditors and recruited Cloud into our party. In this update, we FINALLY reach Limberry Castle. I hope Alma doesn't mind us taking so long...

Before we get to that though, there's a meeting taking place that we get to eavesdrop on.

qIlfC.png
h7R4K.png

9Nw31.png
QSiSn.png

It's Loffrey and our "dear" brother Dycedarg, and it seems like they're discussing politics...or the manipulations behind said politics. Loffrey is trying to get Dyce to accept some kind of deal, but he ain't having it.

pQc5x.png
aRH6x.png

OE7XA.png
WnB1S.png

While Dyce might be one to do what needs to be done in order to gain power (like assist in his father's death), I'm fairly certain he's not used to dealing with someone who is already so far gone and THEN some. Loffrey isn't someone to trifle with.

DNll6.png
5OqyQ.png

owHI5.png
K8tpp.png

Dyce seems ever so confident in his plans, but Loffrey is already chucking warnings at him. I wonder if those warnings will get listened to? Loffrey also mentions the poison that Dyce himself got a snootful of.

6OzRf.png
5fbln.png

E3qFh.png

In small doses, mossfungus isn't deadly so Dyce doesn't have much to worry about. Over a prolonged period of time, though? Hmm hmm hmm...now it seems that Dyce is willing to listen.

QfQEn.png
eDOI6.png

mvJjc.png
Q5VY0.png

Loffrey is aiming for the jugular.

scVfn.png
QkSac.png

And now Dyce is on the defensive! Loffrey currently gives no fucks. He wants that deal made, and he's willing to show his hand in order to get it.

T6ZdB.png
aS04C.png

D59qJ.png
6T4X9.png

Interesting fact that Loffrey just mentioned. I wonder if Dad's grave has those around it...oh never mind, Loffrey has a gift!

bKSKg.png

...Shit.

73fmj.png
aa1CR.png

...SHIT.

3pqBn.png

...SHIT.

cVRJ5.png

With that scene done, we can finally advance to Limberry Castle. Ah, but there's a catch:

NXvHY.png

It's another multi-floor dungeon! Limberry Castle is full of tough fights. Even WITH the almighty THUNDER GOD Cid in our party, we've got to be careful during each and every fight. Remember to utilize those extra save slots!

Q3qnj.png
tL6ex.png

I think we all know just how genre-savvy Beef is NOT by now. When someone kidnaps your sister and tells you to meet them somewhere, you better damn well be sure that there's going to be guards at the door.

K3afH.png
sOngE.png

Ah, the last horse crosses the finish line.

sfquH.png
XRokB.png

5KpsN.png
8zGax.png

Well, DUH. This is an already somewhat difficult fight that you can make even harder on yourself by learning a new skill: ULTIMA! Only two party members can learn it, though: Beef Ramza and Luso. They also have to be in their default classes and must be hit by (and survive) the spell. They do that, and the spell is theirs for free. The two assassins cast it when they aren't in range to instant KO your party members, and it's fairly powerful on them, but nothing to worry about unless one of the demons in the fight has already hit them with a powerful spell (which is most likely the case).

An easier way for the two of them to learn Ultima is for one of them to learn it here, then have whoever learned it use it on the character who doesn't have it yet. This is one of the few fights where you can learn it, so once you leave Limberry Castle, it's gone for good. Get one of the Assassins down to Critical, and the battle is over.

dkgpV.png
Po3u4.png

Njspf.png

Sounds like the second one wants us. When the battle ends, we are greeted to another scene inside the castle.

J5AVq.png
ONV25.png

fyh87.png

It's Elmdore and Folmarv, two of the last remaining Knights Templar. And they're discussing the lack of Lucavi among them...no thanks to me, I guess. :3

b8Jbm.png
HmKkD.png

So that's how it works. Apparently the situation with Weigraf was a coincidence of the worst kind.

oMeyu.png
NfHWY.png

JJhns.png

More of their plan is revealed. Once they resurrect their master, they can show up in our world without having to use a squishy flesh and blood host. That doesn't sound good at all. Hopefully they're a long ways away from doing that.

9Inhu.png

"That girl?" Don't tell me that he means who I think he means...

krjDr.png
7ak6b.png

Oh fuck. Alma is the host for their master. This is far from good. Not only that, but Folmarv just needs to find the proper location, and they can revive their master. Why does nothing ever go good for us??

UKcn8.png
TJKp3.png

XbYls.png
YB4FD.png

Aw shit. Looks like it's go time, and Elmdore is ready to get his revenge for the way we beat him way back on the rooftop fight.

uy6PO.png
0SzeT.png

xbRQk.png

Well it's about time we got some respect from the enemy. Although it seems that Elmdore doesn't particularly care at this point, since he's probably already imagining what he's going to do with our corpses once he's done with us.

OE9F1.png
9fb5a.png

Folmarv leaves to find the resurrection location, while Elmdore and his assassins prepare to do battle with us. NEXT TIME: we take on Elmdore, and reunite with an old ally.

LAST TIME: We entered Limberry Castle, and sent Elmdore's assassin ladies running. This update has us running through the entire gauntlet of battles, so let's go!

oJJ9Q.png

A lessor man would laugh at that.

mtPTy.png
zATz6.png

RreAO.png

Elmdore isn't one for long speeches this time. He wants to fight, and that's just what he'll get. This battle has changed a lot from the PS1 version. In the older version, this battle is infamous for being one of the few (if any) battles where you can obtain the Genji equipment by stealing them off of Elmdore. In this version, he still wears them but he has Safeguard as a passive ability which means that you can't steal anything from him.

Not that it would be easy to do, anyways. Elmdore has mastered the Samurai class, so he can deal big damage to you if you leave your party in a group. If you decide to split up, he has Master Teleportation, which lets him go to any spot on the map, no questions asked. And if he doesn't feel like using a Samurai skill, he can use Vampire to inflict the rare Vampire status on your party members. It's similar to Berserk, but all of the member's attacks are additional "Vampire" attacks. If all of your party members become Vampires, the game is over. Luckily, there is equipment to guard against it, and Holy Water cures the status. Just don't let your Chemist get inflicted with it.

pTuEm.png
yr8fY.png

Elmdore's assassins join him in this fight, and if you KO them they transform into upgraded Ultima Demons, making the fight even harder than it already is. Just concentrate on dealing enough damage to send Elmdore to Critical so the fight ends.

NVFng.png
yM6Aq.png

XyZ6m.png
e1F7L.png

"Fragile shell of flesh?" I think we all know what's coming up soon. Either way, we have to make our way to the basement to continue the fight. On the way there though, we get to take part in a PSP-exclusive fight.

uVBEd.png

dOXRU.png
kDhQL.png

Who thinks they're even tough enough to take us on at this point? You'd have to be incredibly brave or incredibly stupid.

I0uEt.png
GUdcJ.png

...FUCK. Argath is back...apparently from the dead!

la86M.png
SKVZ1.png

...The bastard is STILL mocking the status of my friends. Apparently dying didn't teach him any lessons. He's not alone though; once he sees the rest of the party arrive, he summons his own friends to match.

YgKXs.png
0bMYQ.png

p3yoU.png
tKTpP.png

The battle might seem daunting with all of those damned Ultima Demons, but all you have to do is KO Argath and the fight ends. Simple enough. He also does a LOT of talking during this fight, mainly about how Beef was coddled, yadda-yadda...

xdABN.png
hJdwI.png

Being dead also hasn't seemed to calm him down. He's still the same whiny kid that he was when he was alive. Some things never change, I suppose.

PuuzS.png
1DLPm.png

v1MFl.png
MvTwO.png

Oh, come OFF IT. Eventually I get tired of his mouth, and Nocturnowl comes slamming down after an extremely powerful Jump, thanks to his Javelin 2.

vSnwK.png
2l4cu.png

k86x8.png

With that, the pathway to the bottom of the castle is clear. Time to take on Elmdore!

Om5k7.png
abYry.png

At long last, we finally have a chance to rescue Alma! She's going to be so happ--

3FLdt.png
sx8rx.png

....son of a bitch. I'm getting a Mario-vibe here. :|

QX7PD.png
g5icw.png

5mG36.png

Transformation sequence: complete. Elmdore summons an undead army all over the undercroft in addition to his transformation. Elmdore's speech also seems to have gotten a bit more...refined, for lack of a better word, after his metamorphosis.

Y339W.png

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. THIS IS WHAT IT TAKES?

rALxz.png

Once again, another Lucavi boss battle, with Meliadoul as a guest fighter. Elmdore Zalera has a nasty group attack that can cause Doom and Sleep on anyone in range, which means that he'll be getting a lot of free turns if he can catch enough of your party with it. Luckily, he's quite slow, which means that you may have enough time to rush him and kill him before he can make too many moves.

Meliadoul also has some dialogue in this fight, since she wants answers from the Lucavi in front of her.

9tkeo.png
KpZOL.png

bg0ia.png

See? We tried to freakin' tell you, but you wouldn't believe it! This is what you get for not believing the words of a heretic and his band of outcasts and other-dimensional hooligans!

ucc35.png
CnqjL.png

8SO6T.png

...Yeeeaaaah, about Folmarv...

nGLnC.png
3uzth.png

jqd4f.png

Even with the new translation, I still can't understand a damn thing Zalera is trying to say. I can only assume he's making light of the fact that Folmarv's kids are naive.

i9lmR.png

Although I can't say I blame him, what with how absolutely slow Meliadoul is on the uptake. :|

Jbgg9.png
3gYcO.png

My best guess: "time to die."

9Bj0N.png
pPUI1.png

3Qo1n.png

While I'm glad to have her on our side, I wish these things wouldn't happen during a fierce battle for our lives. Kinda makes you wonder how anyone in this timeframe ever met anyone.

5moNr.png

In either case, Nocturnowl once again demonstrates how obscenely buff he is, and lands his spear directly on Zalera's head to end the battle.

iCuZoEMnkeZxM.bmp
cWXeE.png

Kb3Bk.png
dr7CP.png

The battle is over, and we have ourselves another Zodiac Stone.

NEXT TIME: The aftermath of the battle, plus Meliadoul's initiation.

Heropon

J8Pga.png
fhAcd.png

7zMev.png
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Sanctuary Fortress

After visiting their friends of the Leblanc syndicate, the Gullwings go to the Thunder Plains to see Cid and the Ronso youngsters. They want to know a place where they can look for help to restore Kimahri's horn. This decision isn't important but seeing them gives more completion points and it's the only way to get the ultimate dressphere (such bullshit).

4Jjgx.png
mMDJQ.png

7zMev.png
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Agon Wastes

They have their own problems in the desert. Some destructive monsters are going to awake after being sealed and the party has to visit the Cactuar Nation. Nhadala gives them another Al Bhed wiz kid to use as an interpreter with the cactuars.

mDb1O.png
tlbpb.png

The old cactuars tell them to find the ten cactuars again so they can create a sandstorm and wipe the monsters. The party also discovers their life cycle: Little cactus -> Cactuar -> Big cactus. Ugh, it's worse than the fate of Snivy. The first cactuar is in the oasis with a shoopuf and an hypello.

o003s.png
7Jbgo.png

Minigame time! Yuna has to shoot the little green monster with a limited supply of bullets. This game is a pretty clear case of bullshit because they can evade the bullets, so I don't even try but I win because the first one is eeeeasy. There's a stats screen after that but I don't understand its purpose.

INTERLUDE: Rikku's Machina Maw

rtkbJ.png

7zMev.png
Metroid Prime - Main Title Theme

The monsters are attacking the diggers in the desert! From the depths of Bikanel Island a new hope surfaces:

UJW1M.png
kh1j5.png

:Q____________________________________________________________________

c53dY.png
BABMS.png

Rikku! She uses her missiles to inflict severe damage to the local oversized birds while she reads tales for children like Rumpelstiltskin and Kingdom Hearts II. She could even blow up Spira with her mighty Timer attack, but she's going to be easy on the monsters today.

PuLJY.png
2OEj9.png

7zMev.png
Metroid Prime - Phendrana Drifts

After an non-existent side mission, our Gullwings return to the action trying to stop the ronso from killing some guado. I'd let them die, but you know what happens if I don't complete this mission, goodbye to the ultimate dressphere. The ronso have deactivated the teleporters and that means crossing all the mountains like Yuna did when she was young.

DYMyc.png

A paradox in the timeline has caused the appearance of some prehistoric monsters in the mountains including the giant red wasp and the large rock monster. Thanks to Paine's dark beam and Yuna's sex appeal the monsters go to hell.

oCjBt.png
2sSWJ.png

7zMev.png
Super Metroid - Ridley's Theme

Yuna finally reachs the top of the mountain, where Garik is telling his plans to the Gagazet. Yuna threatens him and a fight ensues for the fate of Tromell and that race of evil elf thingies.

Boss battle 22, Garik and Young Ronso: There would be another ronso if the Gullwings didn't have talked to enough ronsos in the last two chapters and Garik would have like double the HP. Meaning: Easy fight right now.

e4dcd.png
D9GfV.png

Garik surrenders and tells that the mountain didn't like the plain either because it didn't responded when he told it what he planned to do. Someone's a little crazy here! The Gullwings adquire another garment grid thanks to their generous efforts and a Mission Complete!

CorvoSol

Been so busy lately, plus I got my hands on SRW J so that distracted me.

ANYWAY:

FF4 We're in the Tower of Babil now. Just gotta hurry it up (haha not happening this week) and I'll be caught up to Dark Schala! I think! Jeez the encounter rate in this game is so high. I really feel like Square is hellbent on trying to make FF4 into the hardest FF they can, so they pull all the tricks.

FF7 Just finished Cosmo Canyon and at this point there's no excuse for Tifa at ALL. Like, I get Aerith not mentioning Zack to Cloud, because why talk to your current boyfriend about your past one and make him worry that you're into him just because of the similarities? I get that.

But Tifa has no goddamn excuse for the shit she's pulling anymore. She ran out of Zack's house right after Aerith, and when Cloud asks "Did you know him?" She's like "N-NO I DON'T KNOW HIM!" Even CLOUD doesn't fall for it. Tifa remembers Zack, remembers he was AT Nibelheim, and KNOWS Cloud doesn't remember that he was there. But does she tell him? NOOOoOoOoOOOO. Then we go through Cosmo Canyon, and by the fire she asks Cloud "Are you really you? Hey, on that day 5 years ago . . . No, nevermind." Like, what the HELL. Tifa KNOWS something is seriously wrong, knows Cloud's memory of the way things happened in Nibelheim is wrong, and she STILL doesn't say anything to him. Aerith will die, Meteor will be summoned, and all of this because Tifa doesn't ever open her mouth and tell Cloud he's mistaken. GEEEEEEEEEEEZ. It's a good thing she repents of this later on, because if the game treated her as always right I would loathe her as much as I do Snow.

Also, Red XIII's scene with his father was really very good. Bugenhagen's a creep, but the Nanaki/Seto stuff touched my own daddy feelings.

Got everyone's 1st level 3 limit break except Cloud, Red and Yuffie. I actually have barely touched Yuffie. She's really annoying.

Heropon

sZsp8.png
NRjbD.png

7zMev.png
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Water Temple

After installing telespheres all around Spira, Shinra finally wants to explain what the heck is he doing with them: The party can see what happens in the places with one of these in them and talk to whoever passes nearby. They're going to be pretty important in the future (like getting the final dressphere). People in this island are luckier than in Kilika and there aren't many monsters outside the temple. Beclem, the trainer of the Aurochs, wants to burn the temple to destroy the fiends. Marge Simpson Wakka tells him to get rid of them using other ways but he insists on using fire. As we all know, destroying the resident Aeon will stop the tides of monsters, so that's the next target.

YuJp6.png
HkXel.png

After the characters lost their sphere grid in a bus, Wakka has become a weakling and can't stand a fight against a couple of fiends. Yuna tells him to wait for them. Valefor likes his new room and hasn't left it to kill some unlucky villagers.

Al2hn.png
fcNss.png

7zMev.png
Rhythm Tengoku/Heaven/Paradise - Munchy Monk 2

Boss battle 23, Valefor: It's a weaker version of Ifrit but uses non-elemental spells. I don't know what else to say, there are endless possibilities to kill it. And yes, that theme is totally anticlimatic.

0o8nb.png
rthVD.png

The victory against Valefor leaves a bittersweet taste to Beclem, he's glad to see everyone safe, but he wanted to burn the temple. Wakka learns a lesson here: Memories are important, but not as much to dead for them.

2538a.png
nL8bj.png

After defeating the aeons in Besaid and Kilika, the members of the Gullwings start thinking about why there are fiends going out of the temples. Just when they're talking, the Al Bhed in Djose ask for help: Gippal has disappeared too! Djose is the last destination of this chapter, so I pass as I want to go to certain places before.

lOcAz.png
hHYVm.png

I know where Gippal is, so I go to Bevelle to see what does he want. The girls have to go to the same place where they fought Bahamut to see a special event and in their way they find more oversized fiends, they're this game answer to palette swaps.

fB7pE.png
NHXEw.png

7zMev.png
Rhythm Tengoku/Heaven/Paradise - Remix 3

Bevelle is the place where the Bilderberg Group reunites to control the world in the shadows. They must be stopped so Spira can be freed from these evil leaders!

UhpBV.png
cyoAW.png

Unfortunately for my conspiranoic instincts, they're only discussing about the past and how Nooj shot them two years ago... what? The guns start rising really soon thanks to the accumulated grudge.

eJp8D.png
yWVBg.png

Nooj admits he shot at them conciously and starts acting creepy and talking about how easy targets they and Paine were... Hmmmm, Paine. After that, a cloud of pyreflies goes from Nooj to Baralai.

y3g25.png
B6FlC.png

Baralai starts talking nonsense like if he was possessed and just when my group goes to help a monster appears.

C4DF7.png
pdnjw.png

The men have escaped while they were fighting and now Yuna and Rikku know a part of Paine's past thanks to that talk. There's a crimson sphere in the ground for them to take.

YZtku.png
qLBGf.png

7zMev.png
Cave Story - Main Theme

Not only are fiends emerging from temples, but also from the places where there was a fayth and the cave in the Calm Lands qualifies. Like Zanarkand, it's full of tourists and Yuna wants them to fuck off, but she's in a good mood today and is going to help anyways. There are like 15 tourists remaining in the temple and Yuna has to pick them attending to their manias (someone doesn't like being fifth, having three people behind, etc.).

ASfHU.png
rYHYX.png

They give energy blocks to activate the teleporter to fight Yojimbo and one of them even gives the expensive Besaid key for free.

uIZOk.png
gjt97.png

To fight Yojimbo, it's only mandatory to get 6 energy blocks, but one tourist outside the cave gives one more to reach secret areas with two tourists more.

k85x0.png
2XW8L.png

7zMev.png
Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Phenomena

Boss battle 24, Yojimbo: After rescuing all the people it's time to talk to the big baddy. His normal attacks aren't too much powerful (the dagger one causes poison) but the overdrive leaves everyone at 1 HP, so I don't take risks and use Floral Fallal to exterminate it quickly. He dies thanks to the power of sugar and rainbows. Mission complete!

fxdBS.png
Rwimn.png

Before finishing the update, I return to Besaid to use the key and retrieve a seeker sphere. Thanks to it, Yuna can find four telespheres to see four more spheres with numbers in them. Those numbers part of the password to get another garment grid.

f3r1q.png
ieUbe.png

Goodbye!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Welcome back to Batman’s Dying Dream after a long three-week hiatus. School really had to come first, so I sincerely apologize for the delay. Last time, learned what actual world building in a Final Fantasy is, and how to construct side content in a very linear game in an adequate fashion. Oh, and that side content isn’t necessarily repetitive as you will soon see.

Also, Haddock died again or something. Batman refuses to let his friends die in his dreams because he’s an extremely clingy person.

We have two options now: go to the Land of Summons or go to the Sylph Cave. I generally like going to the Sylph Cave first because it’s harder, and you’ll gain slightly more levels there. Plus you get lots of loot. And you have to do it twice. Yaaaaaay.

Let’s go. By the way, imgur’s new layout sucks. I come back after a few weeks and it’s shit.

B4OFc.gif
Illusionary World

cbo2I.png
nQfT7.png

Sylvan? Isn’t that a tutoring service?

Now this another map that I can call a decent dungeon map. You’re not necessarily going from Point A to Point B. You’re going from Point A to Point B or C, which is a bit of a departure in a game like this. The entire map is like a maze where you have to look for alternate routes to take. Luckily they’re easy to spot. The design is also completely different from the boring standard-bog cave maps we’ve seen before. And you’re going to need Float to get past the area without getting your HP decreased.

Oh, hey, you know what’s a neat thing? You can’t possibly get through this area without expending tons of potions or running through + running away from battles unless you were at the level that Beer got float. So it’s kind of like a lock on the dungeon, but it’s a very loose lock. What’s annoying about having to cast Float is that you have to cast it on every floor.

So remember how I said this cave is difficult? It really is. It’s similar to the difficulty spike after Baron. The difficulty spike is a little different, though. Monsters don’t just hit harder, they hit you with a bunch of dumb status effects. Basically, enemies in this cave are complete dicks.

PXKHa.png

B4OFc.gif
Battle 1 (this isn’t worth me picking a new battle theme)

**** YOU. Seriously. Some of the random encounters in this place boggle my mind because:
a) You cannot equip armour to bypass some of the status effects at this stage in the game.
b) Croak croak croak
c) Breath breath breath
d) Cumulative spells!!!!
e) You need to wait until the spells are finished being cast.

I hate ToadLady #s. I hate them more than the next bizarre little monster around here. You have to sit around while they say “Croak my dearies” and then her frog companions will croak and croak. The ToadLady can’t actually hit you. All she does is have her frogs do her dirty work. And her frogs take for-fucking-ever to cast things. Sometimes they hit the same person a few times in a row, sometimes they hit different people… and at the end, you’ll have some guys who are frogs and others who are normal. Frog party members suck because they can’t do much; they attack for 1 damage, and they have poor defense. You want to get them out of that condition as fast as possible. Heal spells, toad spells or heal items can heal them, but you want to get a spell off the ground that will kill off the frogs in one blow.

The only good thing about ToadLadys is that they drop a Ribbon. As FF players, you know what Ribbons do other than keep your hair all nice and tidy—they block status effects. Most of them (Slow, Berserk, Paralyze, and Doom are not included). They are valuable assets and whenever you get one, hold onto it and equip it immediately.

dDTpg.png

Look at all of these paths! This is real map design, folks. We’re going to follow the path that nets us the most treasure first because it’s the longest path, imo.

8LIhv.png
DUyYR.png

We’re underground so trees need to be DarkTrees now. Also, am I the only one who constantly forgets that while DarkTrees and Trees in general are weak against fire, Ghosts/Spirits absorb it? I do the most counterproductive thing all the freaking time…

But Clair should be using Mist most of the time anyway. Or Titan.

Oversized Centpede #s should go down in a few physical hits. They aren’t hard.

gXmCK.png
v4EB4.png

Another reason why you’d want to go here as early as possible is because of all the crap you can get here. Some of them are decent upgrades (ex: Charm Rod, FullMoon, etc.), and others are rarer potions (Elixirs, Cure 3s). We get a ton of new arrows, but since I don’t have Beer using arrows, they’re pointless for me.

“But Schala,” you say, “You’re forgetting the main attraction of this dungeon!”

Hey man, keep your shirt on. I like to take it nice and slow.

At the end of the dungeon, you come across that black hole up there in the second screen, which takes you to the basement which is covered in those spots that take off HP and you have 6 treasure chests to pick up. This part of the dungeon makes the Sylvan Cave feel like an endurance run. Because you have to put up with a ton of these…

The stupid MOLBOL #s.

Qwc4c.png
HvAm8.png
45ag5.png

B4OFc.gif
Shadow Hearts II - Glint of Light (Orchestral Arrangement) ~ War of The Hungry Wolf

Molbols are Malboros (モルボル – moruboru). No, they aren’t a brand of cigarettes. That’s Marlboro. The Molbols will use Breath, which turns you into a tiny frog-pig that’s blind and mute. That is definitely not a place you want to be, but hey at least they don’t poison you? I swear, this condition is the worst in Final Fantasy VIII, but it doesn’t stop it from being super-annoying here. They also have quite a bit of HP, so you’re going to be casting Mist/Titan a few times to get rid of them (4200 HP).

We win an Avenger sword. The Avenger sword isn’t passed down to FF4 from The Avengers. Rather, it auto-berserks the user. This is useful in regular battles where Batman isn’t doing anything. It’s a 2H weapon so you’re going to lose your shield if you equip it.

And that’s Round 1 of the Sylvan Cave.

W5hMw.png

Oh, and Beer learns Cure 4. I’ve always loved the animation for that.

Round 2… we’re just going to skip right to the main event.

Y8Uiz.png

what genius put a roomy house down in this hellhole

3xTwf.png
0vVwQ.png

I just stepped into The Legend of Zelda except the fairies here are really mean. Don’t throw Tatl and Tael at me right now.

They also have Claws in their treasure chests for some reason… I wouldn’t equip them on Edge right now because he’s doing better with his Ninja weapons than he is with his Karate weapons and…

NL3BZ.png

WHAT THE FFFFF—

Batman, let this man die. Oh God let him die in peace. Holy shit, keeping him living like this is kind of inhumane at this point… I know you’re trying to atone for your sins, but this isn’t good either!

How the crap did he get here after the Cannon Explosion? How is he not healed yet because of his Karate? Why is Haddock, who’s also supposed to be dead, walking around and fixing airships even though he exploded and his guts splattered all over the place while Donnie’s—a KARATE—laying around in bed?

As an aside, I like that they kept the claws in the chest consistent with what the player would usually have Donnie equipped with before he leaves (even if you strip him of everything).

oe56J.png
LurlF.png

I wouldn’t take him either. Batman might make him do more stupid shit and then he’d have to go on living without limbs. I can’t help but to feel like Batman’s being selfish. He’s not doing anything to benefit the people who he likes to call his friends. He’s just trying to surround himself with people so that he could feel better about himself.

Even if those people are supposed to die.

So I guess we’re supposed to fix Donnie, then. We’ll do that later.

Right now, we’re going to do the next sidequest. I’m also going to once again complain about imgur.

ioVgj.png

Our next sidequest takes place on this tiny little island in the middle of nowhere.

A6jqX.png
WGwnr.png
Rr78r.png

B4OFc.gif
Final Fantasy VI – Another World of Beasts

To this very day, I still call it that. I don’t call it the Land of Summons or the Path to whatever they call it in newer translations. Is it an ambiguous name that could reference anything? Sure. But isn’t Clair a monster tamer anyway? Of course. Also if she came from the Land of Summon Monsters through here, how the heck did she even reach the castle? Forget that, why isn’t she at a higher level? This game doesn’t like to entertain logic, does it?

This dungeon is fucking awesome because the fact that you can see the floor below it. It scrolls the next floor’s map as you’re walking around so you can see what’s coming next. So you’re taking the dungeon on layer-by-layer.

Also, you need to cast float in here to step over the goopy oozy things that hurt you.

gQOVR.png

Gosh, even the hidden pathways have that layer effect going on for it. It’s sooo good.

As for monsters, I like the monsters here than in the Sylvan Cave. But they’re easier.

3QyPA.png
UF3ck.png
ZmAuM.png

B4OFc.gif
SaGa Frontier II – Feldschlacht III

While we were busting our butts in the Sylvan Cave defeating monsters who spewed crap and turned us into frogs, we have a much easier time in the Land of Monsters.

First we have the Conjurer. This is the guy who you want to farm those Summons from (additionally, you can farm XP from him). Just keep defeating the enemies he calls, and you can have a shiny new Imp summon… which sucks, btw. Conjurers can summon a lot of stuff including Imps, Nagas, Clappers (dragons that use Lightning on you), etc.

Hooligans and Red Eyes were not encountered on this runthrough, but they don’t pose much threat. You can make short work of them. Red Eyes like using Vampire. Kill them quick.

Warriors resist physical attacks, but you can easily get rid of them with a summon or with Virus. Fiends are annoying because they cast Charm, but at least it’s only one status effect instead of a million including things that turn you into useless Frogs.

Arachnes are rendered harmless because you’ve cast Float already. All they do is try to cast Quake, but it won’t affect you at all.

Zj0hx.png
Gbo7r.png

No problem at all. We get a Defense Sword for defeating these guys, and it boosts Vitality, and can cast protect if you use it as an item (I can’t remember if it’s possible in this version or not; probably not… I’ll check in the next entry). It’s one of the strongest weapons in the game and I won’t hesitate to equip it.

R6ntZ.png

This is different. We don’t see this tile often so that means we’re going to be warped to somewhere else. Hold onto your butts! We can see something that isn’t a cave below us!

B4OFc.gif
Illusionary World

pRmaU.png
z11tQ.png

What’s cool about this initial floor is that while the Monsters are friendly, you can still see another layer of stuff beneath you. And it’s a town.

The Monsters are very happy to see Clair again.

gSooU.png

Oh, I neglected to cap the fact that I got a Rat’s Tail. Hmm, I wonder what’s that for? Who would want something so icky?

sDgtx.png
8TLXO.png
ree1H.png

Here’s the second-last town in Final Fantasy IV. But technically, it’s the last town-town. It’s so strange! You can also see that there’s another layer of map, so you’re left guessing where you need to go to get the stuff in the treasure chests below. We’ll do that later.

Everyone in this town wears cloaks for some reason. Except the Bombs and Chocobos. They don’t care. These Monsters like to gossip a lot too. “Did you hear about Shiva? I heard… *whisperwhisperwhisper*” “ohmigosh no waaaaaayyyyyyyy”

And yes, Chocobo. It is weird that you’re talking. All you have to do is come, peck the enemy once or twice, and leave. I don’t need you to gossip about Summon Monsters Celebrities too.

Jl1N5.png
DaeOv.png

The weapon/armour shops have lots of stuff. We only need to purchase one weapon and the armour, though. We’re buying the Lunar Staff, some Aegis Shields, and two Sorcerer clothes. I’m going to keep the Charm Rod on Clair because she gets a Wis boost from it. The Lunar Staff gives Beer a Will boost. It’s not like she’s attacking anything anyway.

Jjinv.png

Oh, son, you haven’t heard the half of it. First there were these Zubats who wouldn’t stop sucking our blood, and then there was this ToadLady…

2odqx.png

I think this guy is a little slow. Clair’s a human and you seem perfectly fine with her presence.

GkMzr.png

I’m pretty sure that he’d be mad if we built a cabin in here, but who cares. He doesn’t seem to care that we’re raiding his goods and are building campfires so we could eat marshmallows to heal up while writing in our LiveJournals about our grand adventures in a Dying Dream.

Anyway, the Town of Monsters was one of my favourite locations in the game when I was younger just because of the Library.

BTSLz.png
3sHJq.png

You learn quite a bit about Callers and Summoned Beasts. The Datalog here is nonessential info for comprehension of the story, and it’s just a little extra that the player doesn’t need to know. It’s much like FF8’s and FF12’s way of worldbuilding in that regard (ex: Selphie’s Diary entries, FF12’s bestiary). Much like FF8 and FF12, the FF4 “datalog” marries extra info with gameplay. You’ve been able to read most of the bookshelves for most of the game. The player here is allowed to explore the game’s library for a smidge of information. The Datalog here isn’t just information or separated from the game. It’s woven very nicely with one aspect of a town.

That is how you Datalog correctly if you need it.

hnoCv.png

When I was little, I… copied these down in a notebook of mine and I could probably recall them word-for-word if you asked me to. Actually, I wrote a lot of FF4 stuff down in a notebook. Before I did some cleaning this summer, I had binders/notebooks full of notes and minifaqs I wrote up for myself growing up for many games I’d played in the past, including the levels that you acquire spells and stuff. But since most of that info is memorized in general now (and because I’d taken the time to type them up in some cases), I figured I could just throw them out. I’m a little sad I did that, but it was taking up valuable space.

7qBq7.png

This book instantly updated in the past few weeks.

cbEQp.png

A literal whale? It’s not Willzyx, is it? Because, um, I hate to break it to you, but…

hvpuZ.png

I wasn’t accusing you of working for Burger King and scaring the everliving hell out of people!

DkVSA.jpg

fQkge.png
9ah5C.png

I don’t understand. If Asura and Leviatan ended up raising Clair after Leviatan decided to get some eats, wouldn’t she trust Clair enough to summon her to save the world? Or is she just testing Batman because Batman sucks? I like to believe it’s the latter.

03GEd.png

No Wisdom? *tsk*

G8m2Z.png
RMNxe.png

That’s not even a sentence.

p8GWz.png
ASTXl.png
UG8sq.png
EaWiZ.png

CAtXz.gif
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom – Battle #2

This is Boss #1 of the Land of Monsters: Godo Asura. Asura generally casts White Magic spells on herself. So what do you do in situations like that? Cast Wall on her, obviously. She counters attacks with a physical attack but that doesn’t do much. Keep hitting her and summoning things and throwing them at her to take her down.

She behaves differently from the Advance version onwards (ex: she’ll cast Protect (and maybe Shell, I can’t remember) on herself, but again, Reflect will work against her).

Asura is a summon that you probably won’t use often, as she costs 50 MP to summon. Rosa’s spells are cheaper plus she knows Cure 4 already. When you summon Asura, she’ll randomly use Life 1, Cure 2 or Cure 3. Clair is best used offensively.

Next.

mSlwo.png
v3HKG.png
ZT42c.png
1cul8.png

I don’t know what this man is saying. But let’s fight. You ate my allies and killed Batman! I’ll make you suffer, Burger King! How dare you make this game worse!

IcmHY.png
snZLa.png
Utwdk.png
2EK4y.png

CAtXz.gif
Mystic Ark – Hey, Let’s Fight!

Holy shit he turned into a freaking Dragon.

Ummmmm....

Wasn’t he bigger than this? Way bigger than a ship? How long was he? Whatever, he was big, GAF. He was the size of a darn island. This guy must be an impostor or Batman’s freaking out again and figured that he should tweak the fight to make it seem like he has a chance in hell of winning.

Leviatan isn’t even that hard. He has two forms. Curled and Uncurled. Curled means that he’s going to cast Ice 2 and physically attack people. When he’s uncurled, he’ll use Big Wave on your whole party. You could cast Slow on him if you want, but the fight will end faster this way. And I’m low on MP because I didn’t use a tent after getting through the dungeon.

Summon Indra, use Blitz, use Jump, make Batman attack, and Beer should heal things because that’s what Beer is for. Repeat for a few turns.

IoyVg.png

It sure is. (Who wrote this...) So basically they were trying to test Batman. Because in Batman’s Dying Dream everything revolves around Batman even though he’s a terrible character.

eE915.png
wkaFr.png
1DUcb.png

We find a passage on the first floor of this town with new equipment and some stuff, but it's a fast exit.

Next time: WALLS ARE EVIL.

Heropon

Dq4Fw.png
9Ejdx.png

7zMev.png
Mega Man 9 - Plug Man Stage

The Al Bhed are having some problems with the flow of monsters and the Gullwings have to defeat them because they're the only people in aaaaall the world that can do it. This dungeon is pretty short (thanks to not doing sphere puzzles this time), and the only remarkable thing is pushing some altars to open the door that leads to the...

KDCRL.png
rTP2i.png

7zMev.png
Final Fantasy XII - Ozmone Plain

Boss battle 25, Ixion: Well, the third aeon battle. At this point this is becoming a bit repetitive: a couple of physical attacks, the special attack and then the overdrive. Having a competent healer is the only important need (but Ultrapotions can serve well too).

YNJ71.png
eiRCy.png

The monster banishes for good and the group gets another Thamasa's Soul and another garment grid. The remaining aeons are Anima, Shiva and the Magus Sisters, but their temples aren't available, so we won't see them... yet.

Xz1xB.png
OYTAq.png

Just when the Gullwings are investigating the hole in the temple the horse scares Yuna and she falls down through the hole. She should learn from Paine to be less klutzy, but we can't wish for everything.

VrtQg.png

7zMev.png
Doom 2 - The Pit

Well, after countless years of service (two years and a half), Yuna finally kicks the bucket. Now she can reunite with her mother, her father, Auron, Hamtaro and her lover Seymour. It's pretty anticlimatic having Ixion as the last boss, I'm sure it's Toriyama's fault! In the Farplane she finds another familiar face:

Ok94z.png

ZA9We.png

Shuyin! He talks to "Lenne" about how Spira haven't changed at all and that he's going to destroy it. I'm starting to understand who the big bad will be in this game.

2lQop.png

Yuna doesn't want to be touched by a total stranger.

s2VfK.png

Yuna starts feeling feelings coming from the dress she has. Oh, Yuna, don't make bullshit excuses, you want that man because it looks like the other.

RmQPI.png
MVW3E.png

Luckily for Yuna, Nooj and Gippal come to save her from... Baralai? I'm starting to understand what was that pyrefly cloud in the last update.It possesses people with Shuyin's negative thoughts and they start acting creepy and trying to kill friends.

uYnKV.png
2h9Li.png

The two leaders give two crimson spheres to Yuna so she can give them to Paine. After that, the two of them follow Baralai/Shuyin and tell Yuna to calm the situation on the surface.

NqoQe.png
XKk2V.png

Yuna is all alone and angry right now. We can see how she gets crazier each second it passes.

IQSuA.png

WARNING, BULLSHIT MOMENT!!!!!!!! After venting some steam, Yuna gets a bit depressed, that's the moment when she will hear a whistle, PUSH X! The trick right now is to push x non-stop to unlock the good ending. Lololoolololololol.

qvOL8.png
gRby7.png

This shadow is the real deal, and she has to follow him.

pCPkp.png
pIxlw.png

After some XXXXXXXXXXXXXX yuna returns to Bevelle safely. That near death experience was really interesting as she got to meet Shuyin and see Tidus again for a moment. Now she's in the boring reality and has to put up with Brother.

sIfVP.png
1hoKJ.png

End of chapter 3.

And yes, Imgur new layout sucks, including that new wait between when you click the bunch of images to upload and when they're ready to upload. GRRRRRRRRRR.

Dark Schala said:
Also if she came from the Land of Summon Monsters through here, how the heck did she even reach the castle? Forget that, why isn’t she at a higher level? This game doesn’t like to entertain logic, does it?

I can only answer how she got out of the cave: Warp, but then I don't understand how did she cross the lava, maybe Ifrit?

Heropon

Welcome to the fourth chapter, the shortest one of the five this game has, so I'll fit it in one update. That's because it doesn't have exploration segments where you can do sidequests. The overall layout is: Airship segment (Including telesphere segments 1 and 2) -> Mission -> Airship Segment 2 -> Mission 2 -> Cutscene -> Chapter end.

jdypw.png
owLtE.png

7zMev.png
Grandia III - In the Sky (Evil Laugh Version)

After falling through the colossal hole, the Gullwings were pretty worried about Yuna's safety, but she's well after "reviving" thanks to those sparkling stairs. Thay wanted to know what has Yuna seen and she tells them the name of the mysterious man, Shuyin, and that he calls her Lenne. Shinra has the answer: the Songstress Dressphere was created by Lenne's memories. Why he didn't tell anything? It wasn't important according to him. Yuna's pretty exhausted after falling and going up and has to rest for the fourth time.

pHdpc.png
QuOcA.png

Yuna has to give Paine the spheres from Nooj and Gippal. Thanks to that she opens herself after being hiding secrets all the game and talks about her past with Nooj, Baralai and Gippal. Unfortunately for Rikku, she's late to the party and can't know Paine's dirty secrets.

mi896.png
nE9gj.png

Paine keeps delivering and now we discover that she can speak in Al Bhed. That makes Yuna and the hypello the only people that can talk it in all the Gullwings. Shinra says that we can use the telespheres to communicate with all the areas in Spira. Yuna has to see through them in Besaid, Kilika, the Mushroom Rock Road and Bevelle to continue.

MRFtb.png
qwEGF.png

After seeing that the people have become crazy and a war between the Youth League is about to start the Gullwings decide that they have to help and Paine gives the best idea: Singing campfire songs! The idea evolves and they decide that Yuna must give a concert to unite the hearts of the people and that Tobli can help them. The Gullwings can do two things right now: watching more telespheres to add to the completion total (it's necessary to get the last dressphere), and going to the Moonflow.

Interesting bits in the telephere spying:

84JtS.png
Sevc0.png

Rin wants to know who was the guilty of starting the machine rebellion in the last chapter and you can help reuniting hints. Thanks to not seeing a very specific scene of Rikku falling from a certain place, I can't incriminate her to get the 0 MP cost accesory, but luckily I'm still able to get the ultimate dressphere if the guilty is someone else. I hate this kind of missables, arrrrgh!

owWQU.png
2eh1r.png

Shinra has installed a chocobo capturing device in the telespheres and up to two animals can be transported to the airship. In the Calm Lands, the father who seeks a girlfriend for his son is putting something inside a chest, that means that 50000 gil are waiting the person who is a bad enough dude to steal it.

1jamR.png
3i8r3.png

zRnii.png
55D1K.png

gxEJC.png
Opqke.png

QrDP1.png
dE3df.png

Hotspring spying! The places you have to see to get the ultimate dressphere are: Besaid, Kilika, Mi'ihen and Zanarkand.

mfU5G.png
kAMeY.png

7zMev.png
Earthbound - Runaway Five on the Move

Meanwhile in the Moonflow, Tobli is enjoying a persecution with some creditors including vehicle sequences. Tobli's the next action man in Spira and he should star in some movies.

nz9bT.png
USBDb.png

Thanks to the use of trained animals, Tobli is able to evade the persecutors and help Yuna with the concert. He thinks the better place to host the concert is... the Thunder Plain???!!! Why does he want to kill the spectators? This is going to be a slaughter but Yuna doesn't feel like choosing another place and agrees with him. Tobli also uses his massive PR team to let the people of Spira know about the concert. Mission Complete!

BOSyv.png
k0qvO.png

The preparations for the concert start and the Gullwings have to drop the PR people all over Spira. Shinra helps too by preparing a screen.

kGNgb.png
N1aEA.png

Yuna can see the telespheres again to get some "complete chapters" in chapter 5. Beclem talks about how he met Wakka's younger brother in the Crusaders and Dona talks about how the people in the town and temple use balloons to communicate even if the people of New Yevon and the Youth League don't let them meet again.

AUbO2.png
Eu288.png

Yuna has to practice before attempting to do the concert (of only one song). The minigame constists of smashing buttons to get an accesory that is basically a ribbon+slow. It goes to the bin immediately after I get it.

YjJWH.png
UQ8i5.png

Thanks to having Lenne's memories in her dress, Yuna manages to plagiarize a song to use in her concert. The other thing she steals is her voice, because obviously Yuna doesn't know how to sing properly apart from la la laaa, la la la la laaa, la la la la la laaaa... Just when the shpectatatorsh are arriving at the concert location, an hypello tells Yuna about some monsters wanting to eat some people for dinner. Another mission starts!

TZaTJ.png
1a3eG.png

7zMev.png
Golden Sun: The Lost Age - Boss Battle Theme

A cave full of monsters and generic walls appears from nowhere to become the next dungeon. There are more oversized monsters inside including:

Boss battle 26, Salamander: This man-eating lizard uses its powerful claws and a fire breath to hurt my poor party members. But it doesn't know that they're more powerful than they show and dies miserably. With all the fiends in the Farplane, it's time to start the concert.

6HPOY.png
ZrRJQ.png

The spectators start showing their idiocy again and start arguing between them thanks to some political disputes. It's Yuna's time to calm them.

DEttS.png

But before Yuna starts singing she has to do a speech to tell the crowd to not fight between themselves like it happened one thousand years ago or the wolf Sin will come again. Well, the last bit wasn't exactly that.

7zMev.png
1000 Words (Cutscene)

NX5Iz.png

qZXlg.png

Kv68n.png

cUafZ.png

NVxBJ.png

u3O2x.png

TRhvS.png

mfAMx.png

7aW3F.png

VFGCZ.png

ps8oa.png

3NwjL.png
Iep0F.png

Yuna seems to be exhausted after singing exactly one song, and that was a ballad. After seeing this, Lady Gaga looks like an athlete at her side. Meachen has entered the airship without permission and talks about Lenne and how she was a famous singer in Zanarkand and a skilled summoner. Knowing that she was going to die in the war, Shuyin tried to use Vegnagun to save her but the both of them died shot by Bevelle troops.

yMTJH.png
4HsYN.png

Yuna thinks Shuyin needs to hear what Lenne never told him, that she loved him. People keep getting inside the ship and Leblanc and her underlings want to talk with Yuna about a sphere where Nooj and Baralai appear. That's the eight Crimson sphere.

2IDyP.png
UTChl.png

The machine Shinra threw through the hole in Djose wants to start a transmission but there are interferences. Leblanc attended to the same engineering school as Tidus and knows how to repair things with the newest hit method. They can see Nooj and Gippal and the two groups take a decision: Going to the Farplane to help them against Vegnagun and Shuyin.

I8p6n.png
9iuuy.png

End of Chapter 4.

NEXT: Finishing the last sidequests to get the last dressphere!

Heropon

JCwma.png

7zMev.png
Dragon Quest IV - Wagon's Wheel March

This is the last chapter of the game and at the start of it every place in Spira becomes a Hotspot depending of your previous actions. Each one of them can be completed successfully granting a "Episode Complete" if certain conditions are met, and if all the locations have that the final dressphere is adquired. This is a list of the remaining sidequests:

-Besaid Island: The baby has born.
-Kilika Port: The end of the conflict.
-Luca: Memories of the past.
-Mi'ihen Highroad: Solving the case and the bug's cave.
-Mushroom Rock Road: The Youth League tournament and the Den of Woe.
-Djose Temple: The Machine Faction's new toy.
-The Moonflow: Tobli's new show.
-Guadosalam: The return of the Guado.
-Thunder Plains: The assault of the chimeras and the mysterious cave.
-Macalania: Memories of the past II.
-Bikanel Island: Sealed monsters in the desert.
-Bevelle: A new hope for Bevelle and Via Infinito.
-The Calm Lands: The end of the marketing war and the cave in the ranch.
-Mount Gagazet: A great elder.
-Zanarkand Ruins: Memories preserved by monkeys.

In the places with two sidequests, the first is the one that grants the "Episode Complete" label necessary to get the dressphere. The final dungeon can be accessed at any moment right now, but it'll have to wait.

zTjOP.png
Hs1ga.png

7zMev.png
Final Fantasy XIII - Pulse de Chocobo

Mi'ihen Highroad: Solving the case

Requirements: Complete the chocobo capturing and machine rebellion missions, and help Rin with his investigation in chapter 4 so he can discover the person/thing that caused the malfunction of the machines.

Thanks to this game being evil, Rikku can't be the person who provoked the rebellion so I had to get evidences to incriminate the Chocobo Eater. Rin says the monster tried to destroy the machines so the chocobos could return to the place and eat them. Inspired by the monster's tenacity, Rin allows the return of the chocobos but the monster is executed.

aziv7.png
O2oM8.png

Remember the dad who told the Gullwings to search a wife for his son? Attract at least one lady to get the speed bracer (auto-haste and Hastega). Behind the shop, there's a chest with 50000 gil inside.

pflTa.png
LJeRg.png

The monsters keep growing and some big tortoises start appearing in the plains. I want an accesory that grants triple AP, and to get it I have to discover another generic cave in the chocobo ranch. To get it I need four level five chocobos and three successful expeditions with a chocobo of each level (3x5). The problem is that chocobos have different level caps and I need to capture chocobos with a level 5 potential. It's said that Kilika has high chances of spawning one, so I'll capture them there.

xypVL.png

7zMev.png
Final Fantasy X - A Fleeting Dream

Zanarkand Ruins: Memories preserved by monkeys

Requirements: Pairing all the monkeys in the second chapter.

With all the tourists gone, this place is like it was the first time Yuna saw it again. A bit selfish, huh?

ll00k.png
dz9r1.png

This place is the only one that doesn't transport the characters back to the airship after the "Episode complete", so it MUST NOT be the last one to be completed. Maechen appears to talk about Vegnagun and the girls ask him why does he know so much of Spira's history. The answer? He hasn't studied it, he has lived it! As Yunalesca, Belgemine and Auron, he's another unsent.

AbBwa.png
acbxm.png

Thanks to Maechen's pyreflies, Yuna can see her father again before entering Zanarkand. After that, the poor Maechen goes to the farplane to not be seen again. ;_; I think he has been the only "loss" in this game.

NBdPd.png
tMgGu.png

7zMev.png
Tales of the Abyss - Meaning of Birth

Besaid Island: The baby has born

Requirements: Beating Beclem in the second chapter and using the telesphere in chapter 4 to talk with Wakka, Lulu and Beclem.

Lulu and Wakka are now parents and we can see how the wrinkles spread through their faces in real time. Wakka has not decided the name of the kid yet, so I'll give him some time by going to the beach. There's an item in a waterfall that teaches Floral Fallal the Damage Expansion skill.

FNMdh.png
kBBCb.png

Beclem is about to leave the island and we can see his masterful blitzball skills. He's much better than those Besaid slackers. He also gives a sphere from Wakka's younger brother Chappu.

OHwkj.png
0Pp8k.png

After seeing the sphere, Wakka finally decides the name of the baby: Vidinu. Episode Complete!

0FMaq.png
pXzzL.png

7zMev.png
Final Fantasy III DS - Return of the Warrior

Kilika Port: The end of the conflict

Requirements: Dona must send the telesphere to the temple in the fourth chapter.

After the concert, the people have calmed down and now want to reunite with their loved ones in the temple. After convincing the soldiers guarding the wall, Dona can reunite with her Barthello. He's her guardian again!

0oYN8.png
FHWFp.png

Talk with the cameraman to go to the Youth League's new base and get the accesory that grants the ability to do more than 9999 points of damage. With the path to the jungle open again, I can catch some chocobos and then I return to the farm. Sending a chocobo to the Mi'ihen Highroad makes it discover a new cave full of bugs. I won't go there in this playthrough.

OweaH.png
1e4Sg.png

After meeting the conditions, the chocobos in the farm discover a cave in it. I love how Paine imitates Clasko "asking" the Gullwings to explore the cave for him.

R7UK6.png
yEW46.png

7zMev.png
Final Fantasy VII - Electric de Chocobo

Boss battle 27, Anything Eater: In the middle of the cave we can find this boss that has really hurtful attacks (2HKO quick physical attacks and OHKO flares). Phoenix downs and omnipotions are our best friends right now to survive.

Ur1Cr.png
rWBmu.png

The death of the monster allows to open four more walls. There are some chests containing a item that teaches Machina Maw a limit break skill (I don't know if HP or damage), and the growth egg (APx3).

oJFJe.png
IqQPt.png

Opening the four walls lets the party discover the super mega powerful chocobo at the bottom of the cave and that ends this little sidequest.

Ultratech

Also if she came from the Land of Summon Monsters through here, how the heck did she even reach the castle? Forget that, why isn’t she at a higher level? This game doesn’t like to entertain logic, does it?

I guess she was escorted by summons? Beats me.

Logic has little place in Batman's Dying Dream. Same goes for Death apparently.

Haddock blows himself up; He's just a bit tired.
Karate Man Donnie eats an explosion point-blank; apparently gets thrown to the Sylvan Cave and lives.

Those old guys must be indestructible or something.

CorvoSol

FF4- Almost done with the Tower of Babil 1st run. Just gotta get DOWN the stupid thing. Man, Lugae was so EASY in this version. It was weird. In the DS one he was a beast.

FF7- Finished up with Nibelheim, and I got Vincent. Now it's up the mountain for Sephiroth to blow my mind. Also, Tifa has literally no excuse at this point. Just none. Like, seriously. SPIT IT OUT WOMAN.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
[Part 1 / 5] [Part 2 / 5] [Part 3 / 5] [Part 4 / 5] [Part 5 / 5]

Ya know I think I finally got a prob with this movie. It needs more colors!! So much next-gen brown & greyness! At least in the city anyway. Also I realized I can't do basic match. 101 minutes by 20 minute episodes = 5 updates needed not 7! That makes this Part 3 of 5!

041 - 060: Alakazam to Nosepass

ib0hNa5jMGy6LV.jpg

Cloud notices his phones missing so he and Marlene look to Vincent, who pulls his cloak open. "Got some rare things on sale, stranger." But a cellphones not one of 'em. Dang!

ibnerhFYwedWl3.jpg

"Why don't you ever pay any attention to us?" Marlene gets all huffy at Cloud and he recalls Tifa acting the same way just before he'd left. He sure has it rough! "Are sins ever forgiven?" Vincent don't know cause he just tries to sleep away all of his. Cloud says he's gonna find out and'll phone him the answer later... but neither of them have a phone now!

ibe25JLgEEMJES.jpg

Next is a nice scene of Cloud's former phone sinking to the bottom of the sea or wherever with lotsa messages of people he knew blaring outta it. Aeris was okay with not being saved, him trying was what counted. The scene ends panning by that big old shell building with a wolf standing infront of it... right? I'm not going crazy am I?

iITqQANMvAQsk.jpg
ibi8myWoi1aE9X.jpg

iCTVntcL2ZUEo.jpg
ibkoGffqxMPfoA.jpg

Back in Edge, the baddies got their brainwashed followers all tied up. Lotsa people are protesting and being like 'won't someone please think of the children?!' yet none of 'em take any action. For such cowardice, the baddies call out some monsters to shoo away the crowd in the most violent way possible!

ibef0H59YLl2AR.jpg

At about the same time Tifa spots Denzel. She gives him alil rattling but he's unresponsive. Not good considering all the crap that's going down around him!

ibuicm3On87g6Z.jpg

Reno & Rude taunt the heck outta the baddies via the LOVELESS billboard in the background. However Yazoo & Loz taunt them right back and it is SO on.

ibyrRgSaxJJFfM.jpg

Rufus is still chilling with Kadaj, who's certain Sephiroth will come back. He's totally jealous that Jenova would prolly choose Sephy over him. "If mother willed it, I would do anything." including bringing about the end of the world. Yeesh. That long dead alien still has alot of pull. "Bring your Jenova's and Sephiroth's. It won't matter. We'll do as life dictates and stop you every single time." you go Rufus!

iD2PLLu2zuFmC.jpg
i5znxSY9yrwQw.jpg

iK20puJQhxI1d.jpg
iZCQSvnnSB2Vk.jpg

Kadaj decides he's had enough chatter and summons yet another Bahamut to further terrorize the townfolk. Meanwhile Tifa's still messing around with Denzel. A monster closes in which she prepares to deck until... Bahamut squashes it and stares her down. Uh oh!

i5R2hFK1kz7tr.jpg
i7sbdmli3Nn4Q.jpg

iRFHV1YGocekI.jpg
iEHHZSALTv0X6.jpg

Reno clutzes out and accidentally clocks Rude! He then tries to save a child instead of crushing thousands of them to death under a giant plate. This kid senses Reno's evil aura an tries to suffocate him, sadly it doesn't work. The Turks run off with kids in tow... "Is it after us?" Rude's all like "I'm not looking!" lol. But no. Bahamut was aiming for the monument which it blows the crap out of!

ibbkThvV7AwS9D.jpg
iEpLI3d4129to.jpg

Instead, the two of 'em end up battling Yazoo & Loz. They don't do a very good job of it either. Reno gets tossed around and Rude gets ko'd by a falling sign. These mamas boys are no pushovers and yet the Turks rise. Reno squashes Rude's shades which makes his partner sad, but he's got a backup pair! "Mother smother. It's Jenova's friggin head." "You meanie!" Which side am I supposed ta be rooting for here?

iBV81Dq8F9qu.jpg
iV94LlL3qNoX6.jpg

ixDwqasE6Ldxk.jpg
iI8jtueIu97PF.jpg

Denzel finally comes to his senses and acts a fool by charging at Bahamut! Luckily Barret shows up to help! Along with Red XIII & 1 half of Cait Sith! Yuffie braves motion sickness to parachute down into the thick of action. She wants to get at those badguys for touching her materia!! And then Cid jumps in gushing about his latest model airship while kicking some butt!

icdtskrhDaTJ7.jpg

Late to the party is Vincent, who wants to know where he can buy a phone. About time he got with the program! Cloud finally enters the fray saying he's lost weight in an effort to impress Tifa maybe? Denzel does was most useless insert kids do not: he gets outta the picture so the real cast can get down to business!

iKR8HICvXfBwO.jpg
iD6HNSQNNBuHc.jpg

i2rnDve6ReTmp.jpg
ibpNIlUQjbEN37.jpg

The reunited team throws tons of attacks at the summon and yet have little to show for it. Guess this is the difference between regular people and SOLDIER. Zack woulda had this beast banished by himself in minutes. An yes, Yuffie can run up the sides of buildings. How awesome is that?

ibqmuuqcnySNOG.jpg

Kadaj is having a ton o' fun watching all this stuff going on. Little did he know that Rufus was about ta prove he's no cripple. The prez stands up an tosses off his robe to reveal a small container. Could it be Jenova's head inside?! Stay tuned to find out!

Heropon

The Gullwings are trying to help people all over Spira by doing some sidequests and seeing cutscenes. Their progress so far is 4/15:

-Besaid Island [X]
-Kilika Port [X]
-Luca [ ]
-Mi'ihen Highroad [X]
-Mushroom Rock Road [ ]
-Djose Temple [ ]
-The Moonflow [ ]
-Guadosalam [ ]
-Thunder Plains [ ]
-Macalania [ ]
-Bikanel Island [ ]
-Bevelle [ ]
-The Calm Lands [ ]
-Mount Gagazet [ ]
-Zanarkand Ruins [X]

cT9vg.png

Luca: Memories of the past

The Gullwings are told by the Besaid Aurochs to play Blitzball for them because they're too occupied taking care of the baby, the baby, the baby, the baby... Of course I won't help them, they can go **** themselves.

xhKrO.png
RNfRz.png

Her next destination is the part of the city that leads to the Mi'ihen Highroad. She starts reminiscing about the crow's laugh cutscene. Yeah, she has fond memories of that cutcene, suck it haters
:p

urCiV.png
ZRJqn.png

A magical stuffed moogle appears from nowhere and Yuna has to follow it and see even more memories. In the end, Yuna learns to not be shackled by memories, blah, blah, blah and the moogle disappears. Episode completed.

XATMU.png
yWgBA.png

After having nightmares with the laughing scene, Yuna wakes up to see a conversation between Brother and Barkeep. He's confessing his feelings for Yuna to the hypello while he laments how they will be all alone. WRONG! Barkeep isn't alone thanks to a wife that appears from nowhere.

anQzk.png
HX6YR.png

Thanks to this, Yuna can rename the animals from the Trainer dressphere. If Yuna goes to the engine room, Buddy will explain her his adventures with brother to get the Celsius and how a gullwing saved them by guiding them through the snowfields. Another one appeared later, they were hungry and... that's the reason they're called the Gullwings.

GRf1j.png
z7XEg.png

Mushroom Rock Road: The Youth League tournament

Lucil says that with the cancellation of the war, the most radical factions of the Youth League couldn't blow off steam and she has planned a tournament so they can hit something else.

First round. Boss battle 28, Yaibal: He's a weakling and it was really easy wrecking him.

The next two rounds are against random mooks.

85Vtu.png
qj76T.png

The battles here aren't too memorable, so I pass explaining, only that the fourth and fifth battles are against Emma and Lucil.

8UbXQ.png
yPFZY.png

After the tournament, that of course wins Yuna, Lucil gives a speech to her partners in the Youth League about personal values, ideals and all that shit. Episode complete!

ctpgx.png

There's a chest with another item that teaches a limit break ability to Machina Maw in the Mushroom Rock Road.

tIt6Y.png
Si9xW.png

Djose Temple: The Machine Faction's new toy

Without their leader, the Al Bhed in Djose are pretty bored and are building a super lethal machine. They're using desert pieces to build it and thanks to my (lack of) efforts it has ★☆☆☆☆Strength, ★☆☆☆☆ Defense and ★☆☆☆☆ Special. Meaning: Easy to destroy. To get the Episode Complete I need to increase those stats to level 5 and destroy it again.

63KMk.png
0lBrx.png

The Moonflow: Tobli's new show

-Requirements for the Episode Complete: Helping Tobli in the first two chapters.

Thanks to the success of Yuna's concert, Tobli now is more popular and this new has been another success.

7ujSP.png
yMemX.png

Guadosalam: The return of the Guado

-Requirements: I suppose they have to be alive to be able to return to the city, so the Gullwings have to stop the Ronso from commiting genocide.

Tromell found the musicians in the forest and thanks to them his inner strength awakened. Now they want him as the new leader of the Guado. A pretty happy ending for human garbage. BAAAAARF. Yuna can return later to Guadosalam to enter a room with some treasures.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Heropon delivered on the swimsuits don't think I didn't notice!

Vincent's safe is crap. That is all.
Were you trying to find the combination legit or annoyed by moving past a number by accident? I understand if its the former cause the monsters in the mansion are among those most annoying in the game, ugh I always try to just speed through it!

You REALLY should be watching Advent Children Complete, it strikes me as bizarre to watch the earlier obvious-beta.
I dun know anyone that has the complete one an from what lil checking I've done its bluray only so I wouldn't be able ta get any screens of it which'd kinda stink. Maybe sometime after I'm finished watching this version I'll check an see if its on psn to rent or something.

Heropon

Let's see how are the Gullwings progressing in their quest to get the ultimate dressphere:

-Besaid Island [X]
-Kilika Port [X]
-Luca [X]
-Mi'ihen Highroad [X]
-Mushroom Rock Road [X]
-Djose Temple [ ]
-The Moonflow [X]
-Guadosalam [X]
-Thunder Plains [ ]
-Macalania [ ]
-Bikanel Island [ ]
-Bevelle [ ]
-The Calm Lands [ ]
-Mount Gagazet [ ]
-Zanarkand Ruins [X]

CvsyK.png
9nAK1.png

Macalania: Memories of the past II

-Requirements: Stopping the Ronso from attacking the Guado.

Yuna returns to Macalania to see how is O'aka doing with his business. His brother Wantz returns from a year long absence and O'aka is very angry because of that .Just after thatt the elder brother starts instructing him to become a successful salesman by teaching him the "Welcome to O'aka's". Episode complete!... wait, this wasn't required to get the episode complete in this area.

jzab1.png
JThBT.png

Yuna has to return to a place where she did some interesting things. Reminding that this place isn't going to last long thanks to Shiva not being near, she decides to move on and, again, not be shackled by past memories. Episode Complete!

VSeXR.png
jxF7i.png

Bevelle: A new hope for Bevelle

-Requirements: Talking to Isaaru in chapter 4 about the chaos in Bevelle.

As the local superhero, Isaaru has to lead the people in Bevelle while their true leader tries to exterminate them with a giant machine. Paine and Rikku compare him to Yuna because they want to solve all Spira problems by dragging their companions in the process.

TcDtM.png
4tp2E.png

The Calm Lands: The end of the marketing war

Open Air and Argent are arguing about who is winning the marketing war. Thanks to my help, Open Air wins by 411 points. Luckily for the losers, Tobli comes from the Moonflow to help them with the business and convinces them all to collaborate to increase earnings.

IAyKR.png
FJO8Q.png

Mount Gagazet: The great elder

-Requirements: Stopping the Ronso from attacking the Guado, like in Guadosalam and Macalania.

Garik is a little stupid and now that he doesn't have the revenge as his objective, he doesn't know what to do and wants Kimahri to think for him. At the same time, the Ronso youngsters finally return to the mountain after their failed trip.

rIZDV.png
LXWzp.png

Garik and Kimahri go to the mountain road and Kimahri finally tires of all the bullshit Garik spits and hits him. He finally learns his lesson: If Garik wants to have answers to his questions he has to at least help look for them instead of whining all day and asking Kimahri to do all the work. Thanks to his hard work, the Ronso build a statue of Kimahri.

Episode Complete!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Finally completed my Final Fantasy IX playthrough after a few months hiatus.

Forgot how...weird the game gets towards the end of the third disc with Garland and Necron... seems very pointless. :\

Top Bottom