• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Absolutely the best looking game I've played all year. Agent 47 especially looks incredible with tessellation on.

9b8790191515738d18176118ca40c667da845e09.jpg

95c13154750a9671ee84981a78baac5be20f8f98.jpg

And yeah, the story is hot garbage (I get what they're going for, but the script stumbles a lot) but the framing in the cutscenes can be quite nice.

460152bb120f35923baee48ad1d79f031cc1d995.jpg

This may be one of the first times I've actually been straight-up offended by a game though. The story and script is trying to be this pulpy, grindhouse-y, tongue-in-cheek type thing but it's far too mean spirited sometimes. Lots of racial humor (and hoo boy, some handicapped jokes!) that just doesn't play. It feels like someone watched a bunch of American dark humor and didn't quite pick up on the more satirical aspects. It's not all bad, though; some of the characters are great, and the voice acting is pretty good across the board.

The game itself is fun. Surprise surprise, the best stuff is the sandboxy Hitman levels. The point-a-to-point-b stealth/action missions aren't as good, and can be really frustrating.

Foffy

Banned
That philosophy sort of made Blood Money very boring for me in a lot of the missions.

Blood Money was way too forgiving with disguises. Unless you blew your cover by doing something notable, guards almost never cared about you. It made the game way too fucking easy. It's nice Blood Money is a sandbox, but it's a damn shame so much of the game feels like once you're in a particular disguise, the entire level is at your disposal.

Retrofluxed

LOL, I just got an e-mail from Amazon telling me the download has been unlocked, but when I go to Amazon, it tells me Hitman will be unlocked at 12:00am PST. Bastards!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have no idea how the gardener spotted me but whatever.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm in Australia and finished preloading probably about an hour ago, and it was unlocked right away. Didn't have to do anything except a first time install.

DocSeuss

Disguises aren't anywhere even remotely close to useless. God forbid you have to actively play a stealth game in your stealth game.

Why do people assume that "stealth" = "hiding?" One thing that made Hitman games good is that they had a totally different approach to stealth. You didn't just have to hide from people; it was just important that you weren't noticed. This game seems to focus more on hiding, and less on other means of disguise or not being noticed, which is disappointing.

One day, I'll have a full-featured stealth game, which involves talking to people to trick them into thinking you're an ally.

Played the tutorial on Purist because I could. At the very start it tells you it's going to be absolutely worthless and then proceeds to be.

If you can get into the greenhouse without being detected I'll be impressed.

EatChildren

1hsd59.png

Thrilling QTE fights.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm getting a "DXGI error device removed" crash after starting the first mission, after walking around for about a minute. I installed the latest Nvidia drivers, and am still getting the crash. No problems in other games.

Ugh....

Also, there is a large inventory cross in the middle of the screen that looks like a large gamepad. It doesn't go away, even when pressing around on the Dpad.

Everything maxed except MSAA. Did the benchmark and it averages 50 fps. GTX 680 i7-920@3.8Ghz/ 6 gbs Ram. Does that seem right? It looks absolutely gorgeous though. Gonna hop into the first mission here in a minute.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
My machine am cry, benchmark pretty much makes only a 4 frame difference between High/Ultra and Low/Medium settings. Something doesn't seem right about that, but my rig isn't exactly the best.

...Well, going to try to play this, but I'm not happy about 15FPS. :\ Weird how much the final game chokes when I managed alright on Sniper Challange.

dreamfall

I'm getting a "DXGI error device removed" crash after starting the first mission, after walking around for about a minute. I installed the latest Nvidia drivers, and am still getting the crash. No problems in other games.

Ugh....

Also, there is a large inventory cross in the middle of the screen that looks like a large gamepad. It doesn't go away, even when pressing around on the Dpad.

I just crashed and got the same thing! About to fire it up again- it does indeed look insane. Single 680 here, maxed all and added 4XMSAA- got framerate fluctuating between mid 40's and 52. Wondering if I should just tone the settings down!

Why is this game so fucking big? And bigger apparently that it says it is? I had 31 GB open on my SSD, it said it was around 25 GB, yet it fucking filled my SSD up, so I had to stop the download, move my whole Steam directory over to my storage HDD and restart the download from there. Why did it take 6GB more than it said?

Why is this game so fucking big? And bigger apparently that it says it is? I had 31 GB open on my SSD, it said it was around 25 GB, yet it fucking filled my SSD up, so I had to stop the download, move my whole Steam directory over to my storage HDD and restart the download from there. Why did it take 6GB more than it said?

Look at the textures yo. I'd wager that doesn't help the filesize.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just crashed and got the same thing! About to fire it up again- it does indeed look insane. Single 680 here, maxed all and added 4XMSAA- got framerate fluctuating between mid 40's and 52. Wondering if I should just tone the settings down!

It was running really well here too. Everything maxed except no TXAA, 2xMSAA and normal SSAO.

I just tried it again, same crash. Can't get past 1 minute without it crashing.

Valient

Everything maxed except MSAA. Did the benchmark and it averages 50 fps. GTX 680 i7-920@3.8Ghz/ 6 gbs Ram. Does that seem right? It looks absolutely gorgeous though. Gonna hop into the first mission here in a minute.

oh god you are right i was worried why my GTX 670 was doing so bad, i was getting around 29 average with MSAA and without it is like 56ish on benchmark

kaskade

I'm going to have to tweak some stuff with my 6870 to keep it above 30. I do fine inside but outside it dropped a bit in some spots. Usually it's the DX11 stuff that'll work my card.

Throwing a knife into the back of a guys head is amazing though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, MSAA does that much damage? I thought my aging 5870 was just going to have to deal with 25-30fps with maxed settings.

I'll try turning off MSAA next time and hope I get better results.

Anyway, about the game: I just played the first mission.

That felt kind of like Hitman-lite or something. I hope future missions are less linear/hand-holdy.

Jin

Optimization seem bad. Benchmark shows above 60fps but it drops like a rock on my GTX 690 when I enter the kitchen area in the tutorial mission and this is with AA off. Someone at reddit posted a summary of PC Gamer review which said "Performance is 15~fps on 2/3 review machines."

So apparently all is well now(?)

I fiddled with CCC a little bit and now the game runs at a locked 60 fps maxed with 8xMSAA. It keeps creating a custom profile for the game regardless of what I set, but for some reason it decided that it was going to run smoother now than it did with no AA before.

I have zero idea what is going on.

Top Bottom