• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this "based" thing all about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

So I've seen this around quite a bit recently, "thank you based god", "thank you based 'x developer'" or whatever. I checked Google, and apparently it all came from a misinterpretation from Lil B.

But is that really the origin of this phrase? Is it actually accepted English, or just slang? It seems to have permeated the consciousness a fair bit, for some daft joke from a rapper. Surely it has more substance than that? Right?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
So I've seen this around quite a bit recently, "thank you based god", "thank you based 'x developer'" or whatever. I checked Google, and apparently it all came from a misinterpretation from Lil B.

But is that really the origin of this phrase? Is it actually accepted English, or just slang? It seems to have permeated the consciousness a fair bit, for some daft joke from a rapper. Surely it has more substance than that? Right?

People have been saying ''Maybe I'm a bit based, but...'', at which point I was thinking they had a poor grasp on the English language, made a typo, and meant ''biased'' instead.

Something like that.

Based God

In an interview with Complex, Lil’ B was asked what “based” meant.

“Based means being yourself. Not being scared of what people think about you. Not being afraid to do what you wanna do. Being positive. When I was younger, based was a negative term that meant like dopehead, or basehead. People used to make fun of me. They was like, ‘You’re based.’ They’d use it as a negative. And what I did was turn that negative into a positive. I started embracing it like, ‘Yeah, I’m based.’ I made it mine. I embedded it in my head. Based is positive.”

Thank you Based God.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=based+god

Tesseract

Banned
it's a synonym of almighty. dem adjectives. it's an almighty synonym. it's a synonymous for almightuous da meeps.

Zaptruder

Banned
Based God

In an interview with Complex, Lil’ B was asked what “based” meant.

“Based means being yourself. Not being scared of what people think about you. Not being afraid to do what you wanna do. Being positive. When I was younger, based was a negative term that meant like dopehead, or basehead. People used to make fun of me. They was like, ‘You’re based.’ They’d use it as a negative. And what I did was turn that negative into a positive. I started embracing it like, ‘Yeah, I’m based.’ I made it mine. I embedded it in my head. Based is positive.”

Thank you Based God.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=based+god

Wow... that's a pretty nice place for it to come from.

I mean until you realize that he kinda just decided to own the shit out of been a crackhead.

NinjaBoiX

So it is just from Lil B then. As long as I know, I'd hate to disregard a perfectly good word.

*throws irritating, baseless phrase in the bin*

That's right, baseless.

Jay Sosa

recently?

First I see some thread about a track with Eminem and 50 cent and now this?

Have I unknowingly traveled back to the year 2008?

CRS

lil-b-based-god-o.gif

Jay Sosa

Lol just saying. His hype kinda died down the last year or so. There used to be lots more thank you based god pics and posts, but maybe that was just in the Hip Hop thread.

NinjaBoiX

Lol just saying. His hype kinda died down the last year or so. There used to be lots more thank you based god pics and posts, but maybe that was just in the Hip Hop thread.
I've noticed it for a while now, but I finally had to ask! It sounds almost like it could be proper English, hence the confusion.
OP, if I could tag you, you'd forever be known as Based Member.
Seconded. If I'm gonna get tagged, I'd rather have a cool one.

And what's cooler than a lame phrase cooked up by some washed up rapper 5 years ago?

I have never come across this. Thank based god I live in the UK, where our grasp of English is slightly better than in America.

NinjaBoiX

I have never come across this. Thank based god I live in the UK, where our grasp of English is slightly better than in America.
Come on man, have you been loving under a rock? It's been an occasionally used term, in the niche realm of Internet memes for at least a few years. I mean, don't you watch the news?

Blearth

Banned

Please. You guys drop the 'R' sound at the end of some words and add an unnecessary 'R' sound to the ends of other words.

River becomes rivah
Saw becomes sawr

You guys also have been know to say "me," when you should be saying "my."

KiNeSiS

Banned
It much like Lil' B (short for Bitch) only exists on the internet much like his"Rap Career."

My favorite Lil' B moment was when he got knocked out cold by a kid.

KiNeSiS

Banned

When a kid in a pink shirt rolls up on you & steals your soul & you don't bother to retaliate then don't spit some tough guy shit.
Funny thing If I remember correct that kid was interviewing him than Lil' Bitch said something the kid didn't like & set him off.
One thing I will say is while he sucks, he does blend right in with the current rap crop they all fucking suck.

2 Chainz weak as fuck
Wiz Khalifa sounds like two females names combined plus he's garbage
Tyler The Creator he should stick to adult swim comedy shows....

Shit's all sounding the same to. The hooks couldn't be more basic, I heard 2 identical hooks in the same timing & sequence from Odd Future & Wiz Khalifa

One Said
Tyler..... GANG
Tyler..... GANG
Tyler..... GANG
sic
The Other Said
Wolf.... GANG
Wolf.... GANG
Wolf.... GANG

Rap is the worst, modern music as a whole is creatively bankrupt I hear better shit in video games WhatTheFuck Happened?!?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Please. You guys drop the 'R' sound at the end of some words and add an unnecessary 'R' sound to the ends of other words.

River becomes rivah
Saw becomes sawr

You guys also have been know to say "me," when you should be saying "my."

By "you guys" I hope you mean individuals from certain parts of the country, such as those based in the north.

HiiiLife

When a kid in a pink shirt rolls up on you & steals your soul & you don't bother to retaliate then don't spit some tough guy shit.
Funny thing If I remember correct that kid was interviewing him than Lil' Bitch said something the kid didn't like & set him off.
One thing I will say is while he sucks, he does blend right in with the current rap crop they all fucking suck.

2 Chainz weak as fuck

Shit's all sounding the same to. The hooks couldn't be more basic, I heard 2 identical hooks in the same timing & sequence from Odd Future & Wiz Khalifa

One Said
Tyler..... GANG
Tyler..... GANG
Tyler..... GANG
sic
The Other Said
Wolf.... GANG
Wolf.... GANG
Wolf.... GANG

Rap is the worst, modern music as a whole is creatively bankrupt I hear better shit in video games WhatTheFuck Happened?!?

Yup most of Gaf Hop knows that I'm stuck in the past when it comes to Hip Hop. Lol. I just prefer it over nowadays rap.

*listens to Illmatic*

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member

2 Chainz weak as fuck

One Said
Tyler..... GANG
Tyler..... GANG
Tyler..... GANG
sic
The Other Said
Wolf.... GANG
Wolf.... GANG
Wolf.... GANG

This post gave me cancer.

Vice

Come on man, have you been loving under a rock? It's been an occasionally used term, in the niche realm of Internet memes for at least a few years. I mean, don't you watch the news?

Lil B is popular outside of the Internet. In California at least. He is the best troll in hip-hop.

Prez

Sounds like it comes from an incorrect pronunciation and misunderstanding of the meaning of the word biased.

2 Chainz weak as fuck

One Said
Tyler..... GANG
Tyler..... GANG
Tyler..... GANG
sic
The Other Said
Wolf.... GANG
Wolf.... GANG
Wolf.... GANG

Sounds like you were looking for some Luda and Jermaine, but all you found was a Ruger and some pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom