• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacophony

But there's a certain constellation of rap music that, when fetishized by white people, causes arched eyebrows across the board. When a white person's interest in a hip-hop artist seems driven almost entirely by how hood they are, how "real" they seem, it suggests they may, in fact, have a less-than-real relationship with black people, in general.

White people aren't alone in fetishizing authenticity, but when they do it, it's much more likely to feel racist, like they have a fantastical idea of how black people live that's driven more by caricature than truth.

what the hell is this shit

thabiz

But is true.

So every 10 years we wipe the slate clean?

"Even for tracks that were important, being significant doesn't mean they will appeal to younger audiences down the road."

How the fuck do they know that? I would wager that music from the 70's and 80's, gets more play now then it did back then, regardless of quality.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Ready+to+Die+readytodie.png

61BBo-fdsSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

outkast~~~~_aquemini~_101b.jpg

R-220244-1201413695.jpg

41EFH96D7KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

only+built+4+cuban+linx.jpg

resurrection-common.jpg

NAS%2B-%2B(2002)%2BThe%2BLost%2BTapes.jpeg

62340127.jpg

krit-300x300.jpg

Action Bronson - Well Done and Kendricks - Good Kid and M.A.A.D. City are creeping into this list though

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
what's that you say? complex made a shitty list that reads like a lazy last minute submission filled with complete bullshit, wild assumptions, and claims at knowing more than they actually do? I am shocked.

what's that you say? complex made a shitty list that reads like a lazy last minute submission filled with complete bullshit, wild assumptions, and claims at knowing more than they actually do? I am shocked.

That or there's a whole lot of racists in here. Recon did call Ace blackface a couple times, just saying.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Aside from the distinct cultural differences between where rap is now, and when it was birthed, it also doesn't help that unlike listeners of the past, people can't remember what they listened to yesterday morning sipping Starbucks, whilst smudging up the screen of their ipads, with bacon egg and cheese McMuffin grease from the local McDowells. Add in flavor of the month rhyme scheme and bar structure, and you have an opinion that's not far off from the mark. That's just for the old GOOD music.

For the larger point, displayed in the headline, it's absolutely true. Regardless of whatever golden era dangling individual will tell you, not every old song was blessed by seven angels and given to you with a drop from baby Jesus and the Wisemen. Some of that old shit was indeed bad.

edit: I'm not trying to defend Complex for a poor ass opinion piece (it is) stated with some type of faux authority, but not all of what was on it is bullshit. There is some truth is some of what was said...

Dipset? I thought people only liked them as a joke?

hipster. white. people.

That list is lol worthy in many areas (Drake best rapper in 2011?) but it does make some good points. Especially about us old heads being bitter. I will say this: overall in terms of dudes being able to RAP, the 90s clearly were better than now. Rapping isn't an art anymore, it's something dudes claim they're only doing for a few years before jumping to movies or fashion.

The level of competition of the 80s and 90s has been replaced by pure jealousy. Ninjas fighting over girls, clothes...shit is pathetic.

I like where hip hop is at right now, mainly due to the "underground" scene no longer being dominated by conscious shit with neo soul/jazz/weak drum production. Not a fan of every ninja having their own fashion line and rapping about popping molly, but overall there's a nice mixture of dope rhyming and dope beats right now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kanyewest_collegedropout.jpg
Kanye-West-My-Beautiful-Dark-Twisted-Fantasy-cover-300x300.jpg
DrDre-2001.jpg
00-kid-cudi-man-on-the-moon-the-end-of-day-300x300.jpg
l25966.jpg

175103;encoding=jpg;size=300;fallback=defaultImage
nas_illmatic_pv.jpg
Da-Drought-3---Disc-1-mid4313-large.jpg
The+Big+Bang.jpg
51O9uM382cL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Criteria here is pretty much albums that were influential in either building my tastes, putting me onto new styles of hip-hop, making me start listening to rap, being influential in my life and/or just being damn good albums.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Curren$y is that atmosphere music. You listen to that shit when you're working on a paper or you're on a long drive and you just want some wall of sound to chill out to. Or when you're in bed trying to figure some shit out after a long day. It's not really supposed to hype you up or be thought provoking lyrically or any of that. Its that contemplation shit. Its pretty much just some stream of consciousness shit talking over some laid-back production. Like the opposite of rappity rap. Nobody said it was for everybody. Some people are always trying to party, or go hard, or work super fucking hard.... or feel the need to glean meaning from music like nuggets. Curren$y's not for you. on the low his music is like drone or ambient rap.

Jets-(Just-Enjoy).png

He even gives you instructions, #jetlife

A couple pages late, but great fucking post. I'm starting to get into a phase of more laid back rap about just kicking back and nothing that tries to hard lyrically or beatwise.

Atmosphere kind of reminds me of that laid back hip hop but he goes a little harder lyrically. It must be the beats that remind me of the two. First heard God Love Ugly for the first time last year or so and was blown away. Listened to some of Atmospheres stuff back in 03 or so but never actually sat down and listened to one of his whole albums from start to finish.

Where does GAFHOP generally rank God Loves Ugly?

HiResDes

Atmosphere is fairly downtempo, but I wouldn't call it laid back rap for the most part. The guy is cool, not really into him, but I have nothing bad to say about his shit. I enjoy his passion, just not his rapping as much.

PBY

Banned
Pretty sure Ezno has never heard Paid in Full
Lolol. It's def a great album, especially when you put it in the context of the era. I listened to it for the first time only a few years ago and it put me down a path of checking out hip hop from that time, and even earlier. The rapping was good, but it's awesome to see how beats have changed for better or worse. There was something hypnotic and definitely raw about the production style of that era. It was like a trance style break/repetitive loop w verbal poetry. It almost sounds mantra like, or at least that's how I approached it/appreciated it.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Atmosphere is fairly downtempo, but I wouldn't call it laid back rap for the most part. The guy is cool, not really into him, but I have nothing bad to say about his shit. I enjoy his passion, just not his rapping as much.

Yeah, dude has passion no doubt. Anyone similar to Currensy in terms of tempo or style? On Pandora I was listening to his channel and they starting play Devin the Dude, who is solid, but I'm looking for more rap, less sanging.

And enzos list is decent except for the inclusion of The Documentary. Great beats and production but I'll never be able to respect game as an MC for a variety of reasons.

HiResDes

Quiet as kept Big Daddy Kane was giving Rakim a run for his money album after album, but nobody gives him half as much play.

Yeah, dude has passion no doubt. Anyone similar to Currensy in terms of tempo or style? On Pandora I was listening to his channel and they starting play Devin the Dude, who is solid, but I'm looking for more rap, less sanging.

And enzos list is decent except for the inclusion of The Documentary. Great beats and production but I'll never be able to respect game as an MC for a variety of reasons.

Nesby Phips
Smoke DZA
Blu
Action Bronson
Sir Michael Rocks
C-San
Wiz Khalifa
Marion Write
Chip Tha Ripper
J Nics
Strong Arm Steady
Abstract Ninjaa

PBY

Banned

Listen to both jet life albums, it's his crew.

CRS

You can try more weed rap with Smoke DZA and his crew (Fiend, Trademark, and Young Roddy). Also, check out Big K.R.I.T.'s more calmer tracks.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Lolol. It's def a great album, especially when you put it in the context of the era. I listened to it for the first time only a few years ago and it put me down a path of checking out hip hop from that time, and even earlier. The rapping was good, but it's awesome to see how beats have changed for better or worse. There was something hypnotic and definitely raw about the production style of that era. It was like a trance style break/repetitive loop w verbal poetry. It almost sounds mantra like, or at least that's how I approached it/appreciated it.

Follow the Leader only a year later sounds much closer to hip-hop now than 80s hip-hop

Really ahead of it's time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom