• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf 2012 Backlog Blitz - Where we give the middle finger to Steam sales

Asparagus

Currently Playing:
Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2
Star Fox 64 3D
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

Bought: -3
Star Fox 64 3D
Inazuma Eleven: Firestorm
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil

Beat: +3
Star Fox 64 3D
Faxanadu
Mega Man X4

Current Score: 17

Minor update. No games beaten, but I bought 2. My wife and I are about 40% through Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7. We're playing so casually that I am OK with breaking my "1 thing at a time" rule and have been reading A Feast for Crows, Game of Thrones book 4, at the same time. I'm at the 76% mark and expect to have it finished this weekend.

I then fully expect to fire up Deadly Premonition just in time for Halloween.

Puts me at +13, for now

Beat: (+26)
1. LA Noire: Complete Edition
2. Shadows of the Damned
3. Uncharted 3
4. Kinect Adventures
5. No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise
6. Bionic Commando Rearmed 2
7. Duke Nukem Forever
8. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
9. Outland
10. Mass Effect 3
11. God of War: Origins Collection: Chains of Olympus
12. Ms. 'Splosion Man
13. God of War: Origins Collection: Ghost of Sparta
14. Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Wii version)
15. Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP (iOS)
16. The Gunstringer
17. Lollipop Chainsaw
18. Dead Space (iOS)
19. Resident Evil 5: Gold (plus sp DLC)
20. Mass Effect: Infiltrator (iOS)
21. Batman: Arkham City (plus sp DLC)
22. Persona 3 Portable
23. Child of Eden
24. Ys Seven
25. Breath of Death VII
26. Rayman Origins

Bought: (-13)
1. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
2. Mass Effect 3
3. Lollipop Chainsaw
4. Mass Effect: Infiltrator (iOS)
5: Persona 3 Portable
6. Gungnir
7: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
8. Child of Eden (360)
9. Rayman: Origins
10. Prince of Persia Trilogy HD
11. Persona 4
12. Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams (original Xbox)
13. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

Removed from backlog without beating due to not liking (does not count as +1 beaten but does count as -1 on backlog)
1. KOTOR 1
2. KOTOR 2
3. Gungir

Backlog now at: 23
http://backloggery.com/gryphter

2013 vow
I am going to go (almost) cold turkey next year. 2013 is the year of the backlog, and I vow to not buy any new games until it is down to 1 or 0 (I like to keep 1 on deck, so 1 left is basically a 0 for me)

Exceptions:

Christmas and my bday (which is Dec 18, so easy for me to lump in with Christmas gifts). Anything I receive this year will be the last of the purchases. I will also allow myself to buy anything I am hoping for but do not receive.

There are 4 games I already have preordered, which I will allow as purchases during 2013. Ni No Kuni, Tomb Raider, South Park, and Beyond.

I will still buy video games as gifts for other people. This is tricky because sometimes games I buy for my wife end up in my own backlog. This should be pretty rare though.

stn

My full backlog...

X360
Binary Domain
Bionic Commando (may sell)
Condemned
FEAR
Fallout: New Vegas
Forza 3
Gears of War 3
Halo 3: ODST
Lost Planet (may sell)
RAGE
Tomb Raider: Underworld (may sell)
Two Worlds 2

PS3
Dark Souls
Demon's Souls
Dark Void (may sell)
Darksiders
God of War Collection
God of War 3
Infamous 2
Just Cause 2
Kingdoms of Amalur
MGS4
Nier
Saboteur
Splinter Cell Trilogy
Uncharted 3

DC
Shenmue 1

PS2
DMC 1-3
Half-Life
Shadow of the Colossus
MGS3

N64
Banjo-Kazooie
Body Harvest
Jet Force Gemini

TOTAL: 36

Getting Soon

Dishonored (X360)
RE6 (X360)
Hitman (X360)
Halo 4 (X360)
Dragon's Dogma (X360 or PS3)
SFxT (Vita)
NGS Sigma Plus (Vita)
Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita)
MLB The Show '12 (Vita)

...Yeah. Haven't bought anything in a long time so I have some catching up to do!

guest1321

Backloggery

Bought in 2012: -31
Beat in 2012: +37
Current Score: 6

Beaten:

Currently Playing:
  • Halo: Reach
  • Dishonored $
  • Halo 4 and AC3 soon!
  • Portal 2

Backlog Priorities:
  • Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time $
  • BIT.TRIP RUNNER
  • Metal Gear $
  • Metal Gear 2 $
  • Metal Gear Solid $
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater $
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Sly 3: Honor Amont Thieves +

Impressions:
Resistance 2 (3.5/5) - It was okay, but it wasn't the first game, and just didn't grab me. I could leave it at that and given how long ago it came out I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. The visuals don't look good, with varying levels of texture around the environment that make certain pieces look like they are out of place or not fully loaded. The guns felt the same as the first which was a plus with some additions I believe (haven't played the first one since it came out. The gunplay was just as good as the first as well and I enjoyed how the style of combat is really defined by the guns. I know this is a stupid point but I really appreciated the option of a flashlight on the weapons as it accomplished two things: First it makes going through the dark places doable so I'm not squinting or adjusting brightness settings to get through the section, and second, it gives a horror feel to the game. The enemies felt more or less the same; the big guys were frustrating but what I would want in it. The story was really what fell short. I liked the first one and found it compelling, but Resistance 2 just did nothing for me. I flat out did not care what happened, and for those who have played to the end you can tell insomniac wanted the player to care about this character you've been through the shit with and I couldn't. Perhaps others were able to engage more with this one but for me it just didn't work and I don't foresee myself ever recommending this one. Here's to 3 being better!

Little Big Planet Vita (4.5/5) - This is the exact game that the Vita was meant for. Every game I have played so far on the Vita has failed to take advantage of the system either by using its elaborate controls awkwardly or not using them at all. I'm glad in the cases were they don't throw them in there because I'd prefer it not be forced. The point here is that the usage of touch and tilt felt integrated into the game in a way resonated with the physics of the game. It felt as though what you did on the outside had a 1:1 relationship with what happened on the inside. So Vita aspect aside, onto the game. I played the first one about 3 years back and enjoyed it enough but the series really has come along way going on this one alone. Platforming was fun and unique and due to the different theme of every level it really never felt repetitive. The music was good and fit well with the gameplay. The characters were funnier than I expected; I would not go so far as to call them hilarious, but it was certainly written in a witty manner. The story was kind of interesting but was not really the driving factor for LBPV. Visuals. Wow. LBP looks great on the vita. The best part is that I haven't gotten into the community/creation stuff yet so it should get even better fairly once I mess around with that aspect. If you have a Vita this is the game you have been waiting for to make the console really stand out as an impressive piece of tech.

The Walking Dead: Episode One (3.5/5) - The Walking Dead was a different style of game than I had in mind. I don't know if this is the right way to frame it but the 3d point and click adventure style is intriguing and frustrating at the same time. Movement throughout the environment feels a little clunky and the frequent freezes don't really help. The pointer being mapped to the stick that uses the finger that also clicks the buttons to make choices doesn't feel quite right and took some getting used to. The second aspect that initially pops is the art style; I like it, and mainly because it is different. It doesn't look like any other game and along with a seemingly unique gameplay mechanic The Walking Dead really stands out. The story was definitely the driving force in this game; however, I didn't really find it great. I thought that while the storyline is well written it wasn't overly exciting. Maybe I'll have a different perspective on this once I've played the other parts of the story as episode one may just be the character development. I'm going to play episode two as a tester to see if I want to keep going as I don't know if one was enough to base that decision on.

The Walking Dead: Episode Two (4/5) - Well as I've already stated my impressions on the game in general I'll keep this one focused on the story. I really thought this one was a huge improvement over the first. Each seen felt like there was tension and action driving the decisions and it never really felt like you were just doing "stuff" for the sake of having something be part of the story. I think this was the push I needed to jump on the bandwagon and start playing this episodic series. One point that I did not touch on previously was the decisions. I really like how you are given decisions that can radically change what comes next. It is quite ambitions on tell tales part and something I hope they can pull through on. I know Giant Bomb discussed how they expected the decisions to be diamond shaped if plotted along a time axis which definitely makes me curious as to how much the story could change. Given what else is on my plate right now I don't think I'll go for a second play through on these games but I definitely feel the urge to play through the rest of the episodes.

Dyad (3.5/5) - This was a weird one for me. I liked the concept, I liked the crazy visuals/colors, I liked the smooth controls, I like well done music, but I got bored of it. If I look at it as modules I think that this game is great; when I pick it up initially it is, but then that fades. For the record I played it in small pieces, a couple of levels one day, and couple the next, a big break and then the same thing. It is exciting for a short period of time but then the novelty starts to ware off and I'm left with a game that felt boring. I really appreciated what it was trying to do and I thought some of the levels were a lot of fun but then there were ones that weren't that great and I didn't want to play them. From my understanding the creator used the "campaign" (if you want to call it that) as the tutorial and then the real fun came out of the trophy levels. Perhaps I'm not that good and that is why I felt this way but the couple that I tried were frustrating and I did not feel compelled to grind through them. I liked it as a novelty and the last level was really reallly cool, but I can't say that I want to go back to it.

Dishonored (5/5) - Unbelievably well made. What this game was able to achieve is absolutely incredible. Going in I was expecting to be a stealthy character with some cool powers and some freedom but still fairly restricted. What I got instead was a small amount of tools that allowed me to do anything I wanted. I figured the blink power (teleportation) would be confined to certain areas and have a mapped feel to it; I was however, wrong. You want to get up that building? *blink*, *blink*, *blink*, your there. Doing what you want to do in a game has never been this easy in my experience. This was exemplified by the characters jumping. You direct your character to scale a wall, he scales a wall; you direct him to jump then grab something and pull himself up, he does exactly that. These aren't scripted sequences either, you actually find yourself running at something, pressing jump and tapping the climb button right as you are approaching the ledge. The combination of jumping and blinking made the generously large open-hubs so much fun to explore. It became a game of what are the limits, and let me tell you, there are very little.
The story is an incredibly compelling one and the characters draw you in. An important point is that the individual interactions aren't all that memorable but the way they all connect is. The level of cohesiveness in this game is astounding. Everything feels like it is interlaced and while the individual interactions don't feel like a whole lot, they contribute to the bigger picture. The bigger picture is what I'm talking about when I say the story is compelling and it is what will keep you wanting more and wanting to see what happens next.
Your character, Corvo, is incredibly well equipped to take on the world with a few weapons and upgrades for them as well as some special weapons. I didn't feel the need to use half of the weapons which was inherent of my gameplay style but the fact that I had options is appreciated.
While I'd rank other features of the game over this as being a high point the art direction is a pillar that this game really stands on. The oil painting art style mixed with the steam-punk era feel works so well to convey the feeling of tragedy, amazement and beauty all throughout. Although I have only had one play through I will certainly be having more in the near future. The experience as a whole combined with the notion that my second time through could be entirely different than the first is beyond tempting. Bravo to Arkane for such a well made game that offers an amazing concept and a cohesive world.

Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception (5/5) - Naughty Dog does it again, which I suppose was to be expected after the last two. I really had no idea how much better looking uncharted could get and couldn't believe it when I first saw it. The colors really stand out in these games but never in an over saturated way, but in a way that the colors compliment each other in such a way that they just pop. I didn't get a chance to play around with the 3D which I'm regretting and will probably go back for down the road. The gameplay while pretty much the same as the second added a couple of features that gave it fresh feel (i.e. throwing grenades, fighting big guys). I was slightly bothered by the use of yellow to point out practically everything you could jump on, and like Golden Abyss I thought it detracted from the realism of it. Minor point though and the climbing and scavenging were as fun as always. The story was really strong as well and I liked how instead of the relationship with a girl being the inter-team conflict it was focused around the bond between Sully and Drake. The back story behind the two also made for an interesting plot point and getting some insight into your character of 4 games and his buddy was a nice piece of fan service. I find it interesting how fun these games are and yet they still hold a fairly serious tone. It is just an exciting adventure that fails to disappoint on delivering what it's predecessors have.

Resistance 3 (4.5/5) - After having played Resistance 2 and using the jump between 1 and 2 to gauge the quality of three, I can only say that three was highly unexpected. As always the graphics were the first thing that I was judging and I was fairly impressed by the leap over R2. Textures were better, I can't say the lighting changed a whole lot, but from design standpoint things looked rich in detail and not clunky like R2. I don't intend to bash Resistance 2 as it wasn't a terrible game, but after it being a let-down I am entirely impressed by how much I enjoyed Resistance 3. A lot of the gameplay seemed to have been revised including the health and weapons systems. Instead of regenerative health I was given health packs that made me conscientious of running out into fire and not just run, gun, hide repeat. From a weapons standpoint, having a wheel along with a selection of every gun you've gotten to this point was fantastic. I get that for some people it is brings along a loss of immersion but for me it was a matter of utility and being able to fully enjoy the game how I wanted it to play it without the restrictions of having done a level "right" to be prepared. In addition to having access to a larger load-out weapon-leveling was introduced which brought along some cool rewards for finding a couple of guns you were good at and learning how to wreck enemies with them. The story was the next big point that seemed to separate itself from R2. Where Resistance 2 was a continuation of Fall of Man and a boring one at that, Resistance 3 tied back into the story yet introduced the element of a new character and persona that you take on. Instead of a "I'm going to save the world because I'm a soldier" attitude, I got the feeling that my character had a reason to push forward and move and I didn't feel like I was pushing on just because. I can't quite describe the difference between the two in words but simply put I could have cared less about Resistances 2's plot line and I felt sucked into the Resistance 3. I recall Resistance: Fall of Man having an award winning sound track and after feeling the thrill of moving through dimly lit area in 3 and realizing it was the music that was driving that emotion I realized how much the soundtrack could contribute to a Resistance game. All of that praise aside, there were several times were the audio was off for multiple minutes were only my gun was making a delayed sound and environment noises would only kick in during those times. I'm glad I set aside my doubts after Resistance 2 because I would have missed out on a truly great title.

$ - indicates game was purchased in 2012
+ - inidicated game was a PS+ freebie or was free in some other form, no points are awarded to these titles for completion or ownership.

Notes: So I realized that *I* never actually beat Halo: Reach so I'm going back and playing through it now. With AC:3 coming out tuesday I don't know if I'll be able to finish it before Halo 4 Comes out.

ghibli99

Latest progress for October...

nbZz5.jpg

Bought:
  • Limbo (PC) - Just bought it during this week's Steam sale ($2.50).

Finished:
  • Granny Smith (Android) - Solid fun, but way too short. B
  • Rayman Origins (PS3) - Gorgeous, challenging, but controls never quite clicked. 100%'d it anyway. B+
  • Don't Look Back (Android) - VVVVVV's DNA is strong in this one. Short, but effective. B-
  • Organ Trail: Director's Cut (Android) - Fun diversion that definitely makes me feel like I'm in school again. B
  • Borderlands (PC) - Didn't finish it. Got to level 15, but got bored. Great style, and it felt solid, but it just never quite worked for me. C
  • Portal 2 (PC) - Played this again after feeling disappointed with Borderlands. Amazing game. Even better the second time. A+

+13

Update for October:

Survived the horror game challenge...next few months are going to be ridiculously busy.

January-September (+16):

Bought (-21)
Finished (+37)

October (+1):

Bought (-4):

Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
Luigi's Mansion (GCN)
Star Fox Adventures (GCN)
Viewtiful Joe (GCN)

Beaten (+5):

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Wii)
Condemned: Criminal Origins (360)
Siren: Blood Curse (PS3)
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii)
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Wii)

2012 Score: (+17)

http://backloggery.com/thebigg753

ghibli99

Finished Limbo today at lunch. Really cool game... in hindsight I guess it was really short, but it felt like it was the right length given what they were trying to achieve with the story and aesthetic. A lot more gruesome than I was expecting, too! B+

+14.

January Post - Score: -3

February Post - Score: -4

March Post - Score: -4

April Post - Score: -1

May Post - Score: -2

June Post - Score: -2

July Post - Score: -2

August Post - Score: 0

September Post - Score: 1

Current Score: 1

Games I beat this month (but were rented and don't count):

Borderlands 2
Dishonored

Bought in October 2012 (-1):

Skylanders Giants

Finished in October 2012 (1):

The Sly Collection - Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves - Didn't enjoy this one as much as 2. All the extra characters introduced various short gameplay segments that I didn't think were needed or very fun. I recently realized that my Ratchet & Clank HD included a Sly 4 demo which I did enjoy a fair amount. I'm hoping that's a Sly-focused platformer.

Currently Playing:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Just returned my rental and will most likely purchase this during the holiday Steam sale. Fantastic product despite some occasional bugs.
Assassin's Creed III - Getting this in the mail today.
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask - And this will show up tomorrow. Glad I've taken a break from gaming the last few days because November is packed.

I'm in a bit of a backlog slump. This month I've mostly been playing really long games, like Dragon Quest VII, and there is no way I'm able to play through them without taking long breaks. During the last week I've been playing 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors and Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land.

Xl5WX.png

Added the following games to the backlog:
October
• Majin Tensei II: Spiral Nemesis
• Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit†
• The Walking Dead: The Walking Dead: Episode 4 - Around Every Corner
• XCOM: Enemy Unknown
• Quantum Conundrum*
• Aquanaut's Holiday
• The Unfinished Swan
• Warsow*

Completed:
October
• The Walking Dead: The Walking Dead: Episode 4 - Around Every Corner
• The Unfinished Swan
• Tokyo Jungle

* - free
† - "free" from Playstation Plus

ghibli99

^^^ What'd you think of The Unfinished Swan?

I've also been playing 999. Great so far. Playing it right before going to bed hasn't been the best thing for positive dreaming, though. LOL

I loved The Unfinished Swan and I played through most of it with a large grin on my face. There might have been a (very manly) tear or two involved too. It's the best artsy game I've played since Flower. Some might argue that the price is a bit steep for a 2.5 hour experience, but it depends what you compare it to.

Thores

October Update

Main Post
Backloggery

Q1 Update
April Update
May Update
June Update
July Update
August Update
September Update

Score in 2012 Pre-October: -6
Bought in October 2012: -2
Beaten in October 2012: +2
Current Score: -6

Bought:

Pokemon White 2- I was definitely interested in the concept of a direct sequel to a same-gen game, plus the hankering for Pokemon that I get every three months or so was acting up, so I had to grab this.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (3DS)- I am still thrilled this got localized. Even after getting the version of the game with savefile-corrupting glitches, even after experiencing one of those glitches after six hours of gameplay and having to start over... VLR has been absolutely worth it so far.

Beaten:

Pokemon White 2- Either I just play these so much that I've become the goddamn man at them (...not incredibly likely), or the single player campaign is getting easier and easier. I was actually kind of unimpressed by this installment (though it did have some improvements over White, which I liked), but I've barely experienced the postgame so far, so we'll see whether or not I change my mind.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward- While I have seen the credits roll several times by now, and am therefore counting it as Beaten, the plan is to not stop playing until I've 100%ed the whole thing. Every file and every ending (
both game overs and "real ones"
), since I haven't really experienced a Zero Escape game until I've seen the entire story inside and out. So far I'm more or less two thirds into achieving that goal, and maaaan is shit happening. Just like the last game, there are some phenomenal twists already. I might even say I'm liking them better than 999's, because
in the first Zero Escape, the really "out there" stuff kind of gets sprung on you in the last few minutes of the True Ending. VLR is at about that level of ridiculous pretty much right off the bat, and somehow that makes it a lot easier to swallow for me. I know what level to set my disbelief at
. Anyway yes. Good times.

On The Horizon:

My for-sure purchase this month is Paper Mario: Sticker Star. That doesn't happen till the middle of the month, so that'll be more than enough time for me to reach 100% in VLR, and maybe beat another game or two. Contenders for those slots include starting Tokyo Jungle and finally wrapping up Final Fantasy X, but who knows. I'm also looking at Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale as a potential buy this coming month, but that might depend on how many close friends buy the game. So far that number looks like zero. I don't see myself crawling out of the negative this month, but I'm fairly confident that at worst, I can stay at -6.

Netto-kun

Yet another slow month. Tales of Xillia 2 is the only game I am getting this month. Too bad I won't have much time to play due to exams and papers.

Games bought in October:
Pokémon Black Version 2 (NDS)
Liberation Maiden (3DSDL)

Games beaten in October:
Pokémon Black Version 2 (NDS)
Persona 4 (PS2)
Liberation Maiden (3DSDL)

October
Bought: 2
Beaten: 3
October score: +1

September score: +1
August score: +2
July score: -7
June score: +5
May score: -1
April score: +4
March score: +2
February score: +2
January score: +5

Backloggery

guest1321

Pokemon White 2- I was definitely interested in the concept of a direct sequel to a same-gen game, plus the hankering for Pokemon that I get every three months or so was acting up, so I had to grab this.

Pokemon White 2- Either I just play these so much that I've become the goddamn man at them (...not incredibly likely), or the single player campaign is getting easier and easier. I was actually kind of unimpressed by this installment (though it did have some improvements over White, which I liked), but I've barely experienced the postgame so far, so we'll see whether or not I change my mind.

It seemed like GAF was pretty hyped for White an Black 2. I haven't played one since gold on the GBC, would you consider the Pokemon games a reason to pick-up a 3DS. I can't even begin to imagine how many hours I dumped into blue, yellow, and gold. The thought of a newer version and all that nostalgia are making me seriously consider a 3DSXL.

ghibli99

It's funny that I've never/barely played Pokemon. It's one of those series I've always wanted to try, and figured if I really got into it, there's *tons* of content I can go back to, but I've never known where to start.

I loved The Unfinished Swan and I played through most of it with a large grin on my face. There might have been a (very manly) tear or two involved too. It's the best artsy game I've played since Flower. Some might argue that the price is a bit steep for a 2.5 hour experience, but it depends what you compare it to.
Cool... there's like 10 new games out right now that I want to buy, and this is one of them. I'm trying to keep things in check, though. :) How much is it? $15?

vall03

While September was my Atelier month, October was my Pokemon month. After getting the Platinum on Atelier Totori, I couldn't get into any of my games until Pokemon got released and I spent the whole month playing White 2. DoDonPachi Maximum was a surprise purchase since I didn't expect it at all to get ported to iOS this fast. Really enjoyable game and I really like the structure compared to normal shmups between stages. Corpse Party was bought mainly because of the sale and Halloween. The game is really disturbing than scary and Im a sucker for VNs like these.

When Etrian Odyssey IV was announced by Atlus USA, I tried the game to get a feel for first person dungeon crawlers but the game became more frustrating than difficult. Dont think I'll be playing it again though. Orcs must Die is another Halloween game I impulse installed on Steam and ended up finishing in one sitting. Though something I noticed, is that the game seems to have a better focus on multiplayer.

For now, I have no idea what to play. I want to buy Virtues Last Reward but I want it on Vita and I dont have one yet. For now Im thinking something between The Witcher or Half-Life 2. Trying out some of my unplayed games on Steam.

Something I also noticed with my habits lately is that Im playing the games and beating them right away after I bought them. Hope this continues especially since I have a lot of plans for Nov and Dec.

http://www.backloggery.com/vall03

October: -3
Pokemon White Version 2
DoDonPachi Maximum
Corpse Party

October: +5
Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls
Pokemon White Version 2
DoDonPachi Maximum
Corpse Party
Orcs Must Die

Purchased: -51
Finished: +84

Jan: +6
Feb: +6
Mar: -1
Apr: +1
May: +5
Jun: +7
Jul: -1
Aug: +2
Sep: +6
Oct: +2

Total Points: +33

ghibli99

Corpse Party was bought mainly because of the sale and Halloween. The game is really disturbing than scary and Im a sucker for VNs like these.
Interesting timing... I was telling a friend that I thought 999 has some pretty intense 'death descriptions', and he said they were nothing compared to Corpse Party. Not sure if that's a good thing in my book, but I'm intrigued. Was the experience overall a good one?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Beaten in 2012: 25

October: 3

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (10/4) -- What's there to say? It's a Layton game. The puzzles were fun and the rest of the game was...there.

Kirby Mass Attack (10/20) -- This one was incredibly frustrating. When it worked it was so amazing but far too often the levels required a fair amount of precision but the controls/Kirby AI didn't allow for that. Still when it worked it was so much fun.

Infamous 2 (10/30) -- This generation has produced some pretty amazing open-world games. Cole still has his signature Saran Wrap hands (they stick to everything but what you want them to) and the enemies are pretty spongy especially on hard. Still there's so much to do and the missions offer quite a bit of variety. The final mission(s) make it worth playing through the game on both good and evil.

Previous games played:
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (1/1)
Flight Control HD (1/5)
Dungeons of Dredmor (1/12)
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (1/24)
Bastion (2/2)
No More Heroes (2/23)
Endless Ocean (2/24)
Limbo (2/28)
Ben There, Dan That (3/7)
Tidalis (3/10)
Endless Ocean: Blue World (3/20)
Time Gentlemen, Please (3/27)
Ace Attourney: Justice For All (5/1)
Xenoblade Chronicles (5/5)
Nights: Journey of Dreams (5/9)
The Bourne Conspiracy (5/14)
Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent (5/24)
CivCity: Rome (6/30)
Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (7/9)
Tobe's Vertical Adventure (7/31)
Eternal Sonata (9/12)
Ratchet & Clank (9/18)

Bought: 42
Avadon: The Black Fortress
The Ball
Beep
Breath of Death VII: The Beginning
Cthulhu Saves the World
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dragon Quest IX: The Sentinel of the Starry Skies
Europa Universalis III
Forza Motorsport 2
Galactic Civilizations II
Gemini Rue
Greed Corp
Hitman: Blood Money
Infamous 2
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
The Last Remnant
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes
Mount & Blade: Warband
Nikpol: Secrets of the Immortals
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3
P.A.M.
Penumbra: Overture
Penumbra: Black Plague
Penumbra: Requiem
Quantum Conundrum
Q.U.B.E.
Ratchet and Clank Collection
Rhythm Heaven
Sideway: New York
Space Pirates and Zombies
Stacking
Super Mario 64 DS
Supreme Commander 2

The Tiny Bang Story
Tobe's Vertical Adventure
Trine 2
Vessel
Wasteland Angel
Xenoblade Chronicles
Xotic
Ys: Oath in Felghana
Zoo Tycoon 2

Total Score: -17

Stull going the wrong way. Thanks Amazon!

Haven´t really been able to clear much of the older backlogs recently. Mostly just been beating recently bought game.

If anything, this listing has kept me from buying to many new games, which feels good. I want to replay some games and not just buy new stuff, so I have almost beaten The Witcher 2 a second time, and started a new character in Skyrim. That was before the release of XCOM though.

Now playing
XCOM
FTL
Trials Evolution
Spelunky XBLA
Iron Brigade

Bought - 8
PixelJunk Eden
Gabriel Knight 1 (GOG)
Saints Row 3
Crusader Kings II
Spelunky XBLA
XCOM
FTL
Trials Evolution

Beaten - 18
Gemini Rue
Gray Matter
Ghost Trick
The Witcher 2
Shogun 2
Defence Grid
Back to the Future: The Game
Renegade Ops DLC
Skyrim
Rock of Ages
VVVVVV
Crusader Kings II
Saints Row 3 (played it for 8h and realized I have little interest in beating this)
Alpha Protocol
Gabriel Knight 1
Bastion
XCOM

Remaining backlog
Fallout: New Vegas DLC - have only just started Dead Money
The Last Express
Trine 2 - a couple of levels left in coop.
Iron Brigade
FTL
Spelunky XBLA
Trials Evolution

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Bought in 2012: 40
Achron
Alan Wake
Alice: Madness Returns
ARMA 2 Combined Ops
Asura's Wrath
Be Mine 3 Bundle
Binary Domain
Civilization V
Dear Esther
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Drakensang
Driver San Francisco
FTL: Faster Than Light
Humble Indie Bundle V
Humble Indie Bundle 6
Journey
L.A. Noire
Legend of Grimrock
Lone Survivor
Lume
Mafia 2
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Mini Ninjas
Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
Offspring Fling!
Puzzle Agent
The Basement Collection
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
The Walking Dead
Thirty Flights of Loving
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
W40k DoW2: Chaos Rising
W40k DoW2: Retribution
W40k Space Marine
Yakuza 4
Zeno Clash
Spec Ops: The Line

Completed in 2012: 29
Alice: Madness Returns
Asura's Wrath
Bastion
Binary Domain
Civilization V
Dear Esther
Defense Grid: The Awekening
Deity
Journey
Mass Effect 2
McPixel
Offspring Fling!
Portal 2
Puzzle Agent
Red Dead Redemption
Saints Row: The Third
Shatter
Starcraft 2
The Walking Dead ep1, ep2, ep3
Thirty Flights of Loving
Trine 2
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
W40k DoW2: Chaos Rising
W40k Space Marine
The Walking Dead ep4
To the Moon

Curret Score: -11
I just can't stop buying stuff -_-

Deadly Premonition is beat. The story wrapped up so nicely, I really liked it.

Puts me at +13, for now

Beat: (+27)
2. Shadows of the Damned
3. Uncharted 3
4. Kinect Adventures
7. Duke Nukem Forever
9. Outland
10. Mass Effect 3
12. Ms. 'Splosion Man
16. The Gunstringer
17. Lollipop Chainsaw
18. Dead Space (iOS)
22. Persona 3 Portable
23. Child of Eden
24. Ys Seven
25. Breath of Death VII
26. Rayman Origins
27. Deadly Premonition

Bought: (-14)
2. Mass Effect 3
3. Lollipop Chainsaw
6. Gungnir
8. Child of Eden (360)
11. Persona 4
14. Saints Row the Third: Full Package

Removed from backlog without beating due to not liking (does not count as +1 beaten but does count as -1 on backlog)
1. KOTOR 1
2. KOTOR 2
3. Gungir

Backlog now at: 23

I think I am going to try and finish Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7 with my wife next. When I fired up Deadly Premonition, Lego HP came to a complete stop. I'd like to be able to officially cross it off the backlog and count it as a +1 beat.

After that, another video game; I'm trying to make a final rush for this year because I just know I'm going to get like 8-10 video games this holiday season. I'm worried that it'll just completely undo all the progress I've made here in this thread.

Infamous 2 (+ Festival of Blood DLC) or Saints Row the Third: Full Package might be next after Lego HP.

edit: Hmm, I do a large chunk of my gaming while my wife is doing other things, such as cooking dinner, she showers at night, and also goes to bed like 2 hours before I do. I'll need something to do since I'll have to wait for her for Lego HP, so the Portal 2 In Motion DLC is downloading right now. No idea how long it is, but I don't count DLC as a purchased game or backloggable.

edit 2: Aaaaaand it's done.

Arukado

-11/30/12: Wipeout 2048 Fury dlc completed, which means no more wipeout until sony decides to make another one. Dead Or Alive 5 finished too, since i don't play much anymore (the only singleplayer stuff left for me to do in the game is unlock lisa's costume....so no).

-11/23/12: Just got Assassins Creed III Liberation platinum. I have starded Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack thanks to psn+ (looks interesting) and i'll finish wipeout 2048 fury dlc. Only portable games for a while now that i'm busy with some university exams.

-11/14/12: Wipeout 2048 multiplayer completed + platinum. The singleplayer is good, but the multiplayer is fucking awful and boring. What a shame :/.

-Update: Dead Island GOTY Edition bought, Bioshock 2 beaten (i liked it a lot, and that's funny because the first bioshock bored me to death) and Assassin's Creed III Liberation beaten too (finished it 5 min ago. Entertaining game, but it has a lot, A LOT of bugs and glitches). Now i have to finish wipeout 2048 multiplayer and search for all collectibles in AC Liberation.

Purchased in 2012: -29
Ridge Racer Type 4
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Ace Combat Joint Assault
Infamous Festival Of Blood
Wipeout 2048
Motorstorm RC
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Sonic Generations
Front Mission 3
Legend Of Grimrock
Gravity Rush
Everybody's Golf
Deus Ex HR ~ Missing Link
Wipeout 2048 ~ HD DLC (Free)
Wipeout 2048 ~ Fury DLC (Free)
Alan Wake
Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Dawn of War Gold Edition
Dawn of War Winter Assault
Dawn of War Dark Crusade
Sound Shapes
House of The Dead Overkill Extended Cut (Gift)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Dead Or Alive 5
Super Stardust Portable (PSN+)
Assassin's Creed III Liberation
Dead Island GOTY Edition
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (PSN+)

Beaten in 2012: +29
Infamous Festival Of Blood
Sonic 4 Episode I
Wipeout Pulse + DLC
Ridge Racer Type 4
Ace Combat Joint Assault
Wipeout 2048 [Platinum]
Motorstorm RC [Platinum]
Mass Effect 2
{2} Sonic 4 Episode I
Silent Hill Homecoming
Sonic Generations [Platinum]
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Little Big Planet 2
Child Of Eden
Gravity Rush [Platinum]
Portal 2
Resonance Of Fate
Everybody's Golf
Deus Ex HR ~ Missing Link
Limbo
Wipeout 2048 ~ HD DLC
Jewel Keepers Easter Island
{2} Uncharted Golden Abyss [Platinum]
Sound Shapes [Platinum]
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 [Platinum]
{2} Vagrant Story
Super Stardust Portable
Bioshock 2
Assassin's Creed III Liberation [Platinum]
Wipeout 2048 ~ Fury DLC
Dead Or Alive 5

Total: 0 :)|)

Currently Playing:
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack

On Hold: (I'll keep playing them when the time comes)
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Oblivion GOTY
Dead Island GOTY Edition

stn

2012:

Bought:
Splinter Cell HD
Mass Effect 3 (B)
Street Fighter x Tekken (B)
Kingdoms of Amalur
Binary Domain
Sleeping Dogs (B)

Bought 6, beat 3. Puts me at -3 for the year.

inFAMOUS 2 (plus Festival of Blood DLC) is beat. Played with Move controls, good stuff.

Puts me at +14, for now

Beat: (+28)
2. Shadows of the Damned
3. Uncharted 3
4. Kinect Adventures
7. Duke Nukem Forever
9. Outland
10. Mass Effect 3
12. Ms. 'Splosion Man
16. The Gunstringer
17. Lollipop Chainsaw
18. Dead Space (iOS)
22. Persona 3 Portable
23. Child of Eden
24. Ys Seven
25. Breath of Death VII
26. Rayman Origins
27. Deadly Premonition
28. inFAMOUS 2 (plus Festival of Blood DLC)

Bought: (-14)
2. Mass Effect 3
3. Lollipop Chainsaw
6. Gungnir
8. Child of Eden (360)
11. Persona 4

1. KOTOR 1
2. KOTOR 2
3. Gungir

Backlog now at: 22

inFAMOUS 2 + the dlc was shorter than I anticipated. No progress made in Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7 at all. Not sure which game is next, gonna spend tonight and tomorrow daytime deciding.

^quick update to the above

I just got Lego Lord of the Rings (non demo disc version, ha!) plus Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcpom 3. LotR goes on the backlog and a +1 to purchases but UMvC3 does not; I don't consider fighting games actually backloggable.

In the middle of playing Lego HP Years 5-7 with my wife still. At this rate, we hope to have it beat by the end of this weekend.

Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7 is beat.

Puts me at +14, for now

Beat: (+29)
2. Shadows of the Damned
3. Uncharted 3
4. Kinect Adventures
7. Duke Nukem Forever
9. Outland
10. Mass Effect 3
12. Ms. 'Splosion Man
16. The Gunstringer
17. Lollipop Chainsaw
18. Dead Space (iOS)
22. Persona 3 Portable
23. Child of Eden
24. Ys Seven
25. Breath of Death VII
26. Rayman Origins
27. Deadly Premonition
29. Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7

Bought: (-15)
2. Mass Effect 3
3. Lollipop Chainsaw
6. Gungnir
8. Child of Eden (360)
11. Persona 4
15. Lego Lord of the Rings

1. KOTOR 1
2. KOTOR 2
3. Gungir

Backlog now at: 22

I also bought Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and for my wife, Wonderbook: Book of Spells. I don't consider fighting games as backloggable or something that can be beat, so I'm not counting it there and not as a +1 purchase either. More like a time waster when I have a moment here and there for a match. I don't intend on playing Book of Spells so that doesn't count against me either.

Subject to change, I decided to play Fable 1 + The Lost Chapters next but I'm hesitant to start it before Thanksgiving holiday; I'll be pretty busy so I've just been dawdling with UMvC3 until I have a better time to actually sit down and focus on it.

stonedwal

Work gets real busy at this time of year, so my gaming time has decreased. Still trucking, though - just not busting games left, right and center as before.

Bought in 2012: -25
Beaten in 2012: +76
Current Score: +51

Bought:
Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)
Mass Effect 3 (360)
Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3)
Binary Domain (PS3)
Diablo III (PC)
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha (PSX)
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (PSP)
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 (PS2)
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (PS2)
Gradius Galaxies (GBA)
Mega Man Battle Network (GBA)
Asura's Wrath (PS3)
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon (PS3)
Soulcalibur V (PS3)
Sleeping Dogs (Xbox 360)
Dragon's Dogma (Xbox 360)
Max Payne 3 (Xbox 360)
Inazuma Eleven 2: Firestorm (DS)
Mario & Sonic at the 2012 Olympics (3DS)
Devil May Cry HD Collection (PS3)
Street Fighter X Tekken (PS3)
Prototype 2 (PS3)
Fight Night Champion (Xbox 360)
X-Com: Enemy Unknown (PS3)
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (Xbox 360)

Beaten:
Shadows of the Damned (PS3)
Mortal Kombat Armageddon (Wii)
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil (Xbox)
Total Overdose (Xbox)
Deathrow (Xbox)
Sid Meier's Pirates! (Xbox)
Sly 2: Band of Thieves (PS3, Sly Trilogy)
Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (PS3, Sly Trilogy)
The House of the Dead: Overkill - Director's Cut (PS3)
Urban Chaos: Riot Response (Xbox)
NBA Jam (PS3)
Banjo-Tooie (XBLA)
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (3DS)
Dead Island (360)
God of War: Ghost of Sparta (PS3, Origins Collection)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (GCN)
Resident Evil 0 (GCN)
Dragon Ball: Raging Blast (PS3)
Mass Effect 3 (360)
WWE Day of Reckoning (GCN)
WWE Day of Reckoning 2 (GCN)
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (360)
Binary Domain (PS3)
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (PS3)
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage (PS3)
Kirby's Return to Dream Land (Wii)
Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce (360)
The Saboteur (360)
Crysis 2 (360)
Sonic Generations (360)
Trauma Center: Second Opinion (Wii)
Project Snowblind (Xbox)
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (PS3, POP Trilogy)
Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble (DS)
MadWorld (Wii)
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS)
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones (PS3, POP Trilogy)
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS)
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha (PSX)
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (PSP)
Asura's Wrath (PS3)
Soulcalibur V (PS3)
Yakuza 2 (PS2)
Twisted Metal Black (PS2)
Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s (PS2)
Scarface: The World is Yours (PS2)
Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Earth (N64)
Wave Race 64 (N64)
Yakuza 3 (PS3)
Yakuza 4 (PS3)
Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3)
Gradius Galaxies (GBA)
Astro Boy: The Omega Factor (GBA)
Advance Guardian Heroes (GBA)
Yoshi's Universal Gravitation (GBA)
Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge (GBA)
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 (PS2)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong (GBA)
Ace Combat: Squadron Leader (PS2)
The Red Star (PS2)
Demon's Souls (PS3)
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy (3DS)
Boom Blox (Wii)
Batman: The Brave and the Bold (Wii)
Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii)
Mario Strikers Charged Football (Wii)
Red Steel 2 (Wii)
Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces (Wii)
Sleeping Dogs (Xbox 360)
Prototype 2 (PS3)
Max Payne 3 (Xbox 360)
Fight Night: Champion (Xbox 360)
Skate 3 (Xbox 360)
Colin McCrae Dirt 2 (Xbox 360)
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (Xbox 360)

Have to admit that I've been playing more of this year's purchases lately and not getting stuck into the real backlog, which is really against the spirit of the thread.

Sleeping Dogs - excellent, real game of the year contender.
Prototype 2 - remarkably average.
Max Payne 3 - enjoyed it once I figured out you need to headshot everything. Still hate the transition effects.
Fight Night Champion - too easy compared to previous Fight Nights. Seems like they removed all of the challenge and skill. Story mode was terrible.
Skate 3 - had a lot of fun just chilling out with this one.
Colin McCrae Dirt 2 - would have been better without the XGames athletes in my face every 30 seconds.
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City - didn't think it was as bad as everyone made out, but certainly flawed.

Currently playing:
Jade Empire - what a stinker!

Really need to get back to Okami and Majora's Mask. Not going to buy Okami HD and start all over again, I've had enough of playing the first 10 hours of Okami and then stopping.

11/19 Update
Backloggery

Okay, so this year is not going to end anywhere near the positive. Picked up a bunch of Vita games and a few games with the Wii U.

As vall03 mentioned earlier, I think this thread has really put my spending habits in perspective. I went through the list yesterday and added up all the money I spent on games/consoles and peripherals this year, and was shocked to see it well above 2000 dollars. I bought two new systems this year (Vita and Wii U), but that doesn't excuse many of the impulse buys.

I think next year, I'm going to try and set reasonable purchasing goals, like 2 games a month at the maximum. This will make me focus on the games I truly want to play and also help me get to my backlog. I'm going to try and take a break for the rest of the year (Persona 4 and Adventure Time being the last purchases) from buying games and try to make some progress on the backlog. This last month alone I went from -5 to -18; pretty crazy.

Bought in 2012: -66
Beat in 2012: 48
Current Score: -18

Bought
  • Super Stardust Delta
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • Rayman: Origins
  • Resident Evil: Revelaitons
  • Mutant Mudds
  • Metal Torrent
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • Kid Icarus: 3D Classics
  • Mario's Picross
  • The 3rd Birthday
  • Patapon 2
  • Motorstorm RC
  • WipEout 2048
  • Unit 13
  • Dissidia duodecim Final Fantasy
  • Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
  • Trials Evolution
  • Fez
  • The World Ends With You
  • Monster Tale
  • Mortal Kombat
  • ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead
  • Diablo III
  • Kirby's Block Ball
  • Gravity Rush
  • Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops
  • Syndicate
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
  • Spelunky
  • Resistance: Burning Skies
  • Alice: Madness Returns
  • Alan Wake: American Nightmare
  • Alan Wake
  • Binary Domain
  • Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
  • Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dread Drop Distance
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Tomba!
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
  • Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
  • Torchlight II
  • Borderlands 2
  • LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
  • Fractured Soul
  • Dead or Alive: Dimensions
  • A New Little King's Story
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
  • Persona 3 Portable
  • Assassin's Creed III Liberation
  • Need for Speed Most Wanted
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star
  • Zombi U
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Persona 4 Golden
  • Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified
  • Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion
  • The Walking Dead
  • Call of Duty Black Ops II
  • Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage
  • Trine 2
  • Nano Assault Neo
  • Sine Mora
  • Mark of the Ninja

Completed
  • Super Stardust Delta
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • Portal 2
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Rayman: Origins
  • Child of Eden
  • Shinobi
  • Nano Assault
  • Resident Evil: Revelations
  • Vanquish
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Mutant Mudds
  • Metal Torrent
  • L.A. Noire
  • Xevious 3D Classics
  • Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition
  • Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
  • Metal Torrent
  • Kid Icarus Uprising
  • Monster Tale
  • Mario's Picross
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Darksiders
  • Kirby's Block Ball
  • The 3rd Birthday
  • Duke Nukem Forever
  • Resistance: Burning Skies
  • Unit 13
  • Gravity Rush
  • Dawn of War II: Retribution
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops
  • Diablo III
  • Serious Sam 3: BFE
  • Trials Evolution
  • Fez
  • Motorstorm RC
  • Spelunky
  • Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
  • Mortal Kombat
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Syndicate
  • Alan Wake
  • PushMo
  • Dead or Alive: Dimensions
  • Little Big Planet
  • Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
  • Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal our Garbage?
  • Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion

Currently Playing
  • Borderlands 2
  • Torchlight 2
  • New Super Mario Bros. U

Everdred

Backlog on HowLongToBeat.com

Bought In 2012:
1. Bulletstorm
2. Crysis 2
3. Duke Nukem Forever
4. GTA 4
5. Max Payne
6. Max Payne 2
7. Max Payne 3
8. The Last Remnant
9. H.A.W.X 2
10. Alan Wake
11. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
12. Driver: San Francisco
13. Little Big Adventure 2
14. Halo 4

Beat in 2012:
1. Renegade Ops
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution + Missing Link
3. BioShock
4. Crysis 2
5. Portal
6. Max Payne
7. Max Payne 2
8. Medal Of Honor
9. BioShock 2
10. Max Payne 3
11. Dead Space
12. Bulletstorm
13. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
14. Halo 4

Total Score: 0

Backlog Priorities:
Alan Wake
Dead Space 2
Duke Nukem Forever
GTA 4
The Last Remnant

Haven't posted for a while but here is the updated list. I was doing great until Halo 4 came out, can't stop playing. 104 hours on it already.

ghibli99

Bad month for me so far... don't plan on doing any BF shopping, so I should be safe. Only new-new game was Adventure Time. The rest were either inexpensive bundles or older titles.

Purchased:
Forza Motorsport 4 (360)
Humble Bundle for Android 4 (Android/PC)
Sonic Colors (Wii)
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing with Banjo-Kazooie (360)
Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd you steal our garbage?!! (3DS)

Finished:
The Unfinished Swan (PS3)

I really enjoyed The Unfinished Swan. Had a cool Shel Silverstein-like vibe, with some nice tech on display. Choppy framerate at times, but overall, a very imaginative game that made me feel like a kid again. 91/100

+15

Fable 1 + The Lost Chapters is beat. I was prepared for like a 40+ hour experience and beat it in 9, score! I hated the first 1/3rd of the game. Then I leveled up enough were the combat become broken which is when I started having fun; did a complete 180 and looking forward to 2 and 3 now.

Puts me at +15, for now

Beat: (+30)
2. Shadows of the Damned
3. Uncharted 3
4. Kinect Adventures
7. Duke Nukem Forever
9. Outland
10. Mass Effect 3
12. Ms. 'Splosion Man
16. The Gunstringer
17. Lollipop Chainsaw
18. Dead Space (iOS)
22. Persona 3 Portable
23. Child of Eden
24. Ys Seven
25. Breath of Death VII
26. Rayman Origins
27. Deadly Premonition
29. Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7
30. Fable 1 + The Lost Chapters

Bought: (-15)
2. Mass Effect 3
3. Lollipop Chainsaw
6. Gungnir
8. Child of Eden (360)
11. Persona 4
15. Lego Lord of the Rings

1. KOTOR 1
2. KOTOR 2
3. Gungnir

Backlog now at: 21

Will be busy with Thanksgiving and then playing NSMB Wii U co-op with a fellow Gaffer for the next few days. Not a part of MY backlog, but that's where my gaming time will be spent until we either beat it or Tuesday night, whichever comes first.

I'll bring a portable and a book just in case I end up with free time away from that. What portable? It's either going to be 999 or Valkyria Chronicles 2, no promises on either, though. What book? World War Z, I meant to read this in October for Halloween themed month but never got to it, plus I want to get it in before the film comes out so I can hate on it along with all the other people who read the book

guest1321

Backloggery

Bought in 2012: -34
Beat in 2012: +39
Current Score: 5

Beaten:

Currently Playing:
  • Dishonored $
  • Halo 4 $
  • Assassin's Creed 3 $
  • PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale $
  • Portal 2

Backlog Priorities:
  • BIT.TRIP RUNNER
  • Metal Gear $
  • Metal Gear 2 $
  • Metal Gear Solid $
  • Super Meat Boy

Impressions:
Halo Reach (5/5) - It is interesting that I have played so much of the online and until the other day was under the impression that I had beaten the campaign. Well I realized that I never had and someone had done it on my account, hence the confusion, so I decided with all the Halo hype it was time for me to play through it. I started from the beginning again and went for a full play through and I gotta say, I didn't expect it to be that good (although after the surprise that ODST was I should have been prepared). Visually I was used to it after having played so much online, but it still was pretty and I always have loved the look of the Halo universe. It was interesting how this contrasted to the other off-main-series Halo game in that you weren't trying to find people but instead losing them throughout. The story was solid, not exactly memorable but a lot of fun along the way and you didn't really feel like you were doing stupid shit for the sake of playing a game. Recently I heard a distinction between Halo and most FPS's and I though it rang true in this game: Halo is not about who pulls the trigger faster but about individual engagements. I must have forgotten at some point what it was like to go into a battle feel like a vulnerable boss who can destroy everything if the strategy is right. So it was that style of combat, the great atmosphere, and the fantastic score that made this an awesome game and memorable as a whole. Oh, and the final scene was a nice touch too.

Halo 4 (5/5) - I think I must have overhyped myself because I didn't feel stunned by the visuals when I first popped it in. Yes, they looks great but I think I had seen to many screen shots that I really expected to be blown away but when I popped it in it was what I had already seen. Having read the two Forerunner trilogy books prior to playing this I was excited to see how the forerunner, given there history with the human race, would be poised in this game. For those of you have read both and then played the game you were certainly understand when I say that the game does a fantastic job of lightly tying into the books and then making major pieces of the game way better. Bottom line, the campaign was great and music made it epic, and it no way let me down which was a bit of a concern the month before launch. The online was quite a shock. It didn't feel like Halo, borrowed a lot from Call of Duty but it still felt true to its nature. It took some getting used to but now I love it. The various changes they made felt forced at first but once I though about it I felt like they fit better in the Halo universe than anything else I could imagine them doing and another online like 3 or reach was not an option so it was a good compromise. I dabbled in the first episode of Spartan Ops and I like that it was a fairly smooth experience and other than the occasionally crappy teammate who just killed everyone else, it was actually a lot of fun. Halo is definitely in my top 3 this year and with the amount I keep going back to it I expect it will continue to move up. As I know some people are Halo-adverse I can't say I would recommend it to everyone, but if you are the kind of person that has ever had the slightest interest in Halo, this is an awesome point to jump in.

+ - inidicated game was a PS+ freebie or was free in some other form, no points are awarded to these titles for completion or ownership.

Notes:

ghibli99

Well, I caved... there are just way too many good deals right now. When you can buy 20+ games (incl. bundles) for less than a single game at retail, you jump at that opportunity. :)

Barely holding on now... only at +3. :p

New purchases:
Sonic Generations (PC)
Botanicula (PC)
Trine (PC)
The Blackwell Bundle (PC)
Mutant Mudds (PC)
Gemini Rue (PC)
Forza Horizon (360)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)
Quantum Conundrum (PC)
Orcs Must Die! 2 (PC)
Batman: Arkham City GOTY (PC)
The Basement Collection (PC)

I finally created a Backloggery even though I went on an incredibly insane mad dash last summer and completed more or less every game I've ever owned and then some (primarily for older systems). I've opted not to list my PAL games (Originally from Europe) so I'll only add pre-6th generation titles as I reacquire them through collections and whatnot.

Backloggery Link
  • Beaten: Getting to the end of the single player campaign/arcade mode/etc.
  • Completed: Beating every available mode/difficulty/etc.

I don't count achievements, trophies and other similar "platform" systems because there are several instances where things get muddled, for example:

I've got a 130 hour MGS4 file with every single emblem, item, weapon, etc. unlocked, but I accomplished this before the trophy update. I have no desire whatsoever to return to the game and re-do those trophies, even if most of them are fairly easy.

Another example is GRAW for the Xbox 360: The Global Leaderboard achievements, and many similar multiplayer achievements are impossible to accomplish in games with dead communities, shuttered servers, etc.

I also don't really remember what I've bought this year so far, so I'll only list my Black Friday haul and start from there.

Bought in 2012: 5
Beaten in 2012: 0
Current Score: -5

Beaten:
  • Coming Soon

Bought:
  • Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus (The Sly Collection)
  • Sly 2: Band of Thieves (The Sly Collection)
  • Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (The Sly Collection)
  • World of WarCraft: Mists of Pandaria
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Backlog Priorities:
To Beat:​
To Complete:​
  • Coming Soon

guest1321

Backloggery

Bought in 2012: -34
Beat in 2012: +40
Current Score: 6

Beaten:

Currently Playing:
  • Dishonored $
  • Halo 4 $
  • PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale $
  • Portal 2

Backlog Priorities:
  • BIT.TRIP RUNNER
  • Metal Gear $
  • Metal Gear 2 $
  • Metal Gear Solid $
  • Super Meat Boy

Impressions:
Assassin's Creed 3 (3/5) - I really expected this game to be a lot better than it was, and not in the over hype way, but in the sense that it looked like a solid game and fundamentally it was going to build off of it's predecessors in an exciting setting. Welp, it turns out that in building on it's predecessors it managed to throw every possible pointless side mission into the game without regards for how it fit in. This is really raw analogy but it felt as though someone dipped their game making paintbrush into a bucket of game idea paint, and just splattered it on a canvas. That may sound like a gross exaggeration but if you look at everything besides the story line it really does feel that way. You literally have to do none of the side missions and for the most part the game does a terrible job of informing you on the various systems mechanics. There is crafting and trading, sailing, liberation, hunting, guilds, postal missions, view points, gambling, and a bunch of other stuff, that if you ignored it would make little to no difference on your game it seems. I hate to knock this game because it really did have some cool moments but there were a lot of other points where I was just banging my head and asking "why!?". I'm happy that I finished the game but I really felt like it was a push for me to take interest in this one, especially after having played 2, brotherhood, and revelations within a 3 week period. I think a lot of the time I felt overwhelmed and not in the good exploratory sense, but in the sense that completing this game (story plus extras), just seemed like a task that I had no interest in taking on. To contextualize, in past games I never collected the feathers, but I always bought everything I could and upgraded everything and completed all the side missions. In this game it felt like there was too much that I just felt like the incentive did not exist for me continue playing past the story. It is a shame because I thought this one would surprise me but unfortunately it was a huge let down.

Notes:

OK

So I am playing through Persona 3 Portable on a PS Vita, which I bought on PSN. How do I categorize that? I'm using PSP, originally on the PS2 right now (is that a stretch, Persona 3 was on PS2, not P3P?). I could put PSVita, originally on the PSP. I could also put PSN, originally on the PSP as well. I do currently own a PSP, but I'm not playing any games on it.

For the PSOne Classics I have like FFVII, I'll probably use PSOne Classics, originally on the Playstation 1. But If I'm playing to play it on the Vita, should I just use that as the system?

I imagine you can use these tags to search things later, or help categorize the collection.

Anyone have a system for things like this?

At first I put those games under PSN, but now that you can buy pretty much everything from the different networks I think it makes more sense to categorize it under the corresponding platform instead. I'd put the game under PSP and then add [PSN] to the comment section.

Mit-

I just use PSN, since a lot of games can now be played on multiple platforms. The platform itself is PSN to me.

That might bother you though, go for what makes sense to you :V

Never used this thread before but I've had a backloggery for a long time so I might as well. Black Friday weekend just destroyed me.

http://www.backloggery.com/mit

My current progress index for 2012 is -29.
But I still have over 15 games coming in the mail :(

2010 I was -18. 2011 I was -31. I don't know if I'll be able to stop my downward yearly trend D: I'll have to beat around 15 games before the year is over and that likely is not possible.

guest1321

Has anyone identified a good way to categorize Cross-play games on Backloggery. In reference the situation above with playing a PSP game on a VITA, backloggery has an option to put down the system you're playing it on and then add the original system. With something like Playstation All-Stars and it being PS3/Vita and I'll play on both platforms about the same amount of time, it is difficult to track it.

Backloggery Link
  • Beaten: Getting to the end of the single player campaign/arcade mode/etc.
  • Completed: Beating every available mode/difficulty/etc.

Bought in 2012: 6
Beaten in 2012: 0
Current Score: -6

Beaten:
  • Coming Soon

Bought:
  • Assassin's Creed III

Backlog Priorities:
To Beat:​
  • Assassin's Creed III
To Complete:​
  • Coming Soon

Forgot to add AC III. I also bought the THQ bundle but I've owned all of those games, just not for Steam so not going to bother throwing them as up as they're all beaten/completed already.

Can't believe I only have one more of these to go for the year. Thanks guys, for helping me commit to playing and finishing a bunch of new games this year including many that I had bought and ignored for too long. My count for finished games is over 40 now for 2012.

Despite my efforts to keep my backlog at a net 0 by the end of the year, I'm pretty sure I'll end up negative. My December is going to be consumed by Far Cry 3 I'm sure and then there's the Steam Winter Sale that's only going to hurt.

January Post - Score: -3

February Post - Score: -4

March Post - Score: -4

April Post - Score: -1

May Post - Score: -2

June Post - Score: -2

July Post - Score: -2

August Post - Score: 0

September Post - Score: 1

October Post - Score: 1

Current Score: 0

Games I beat this month (but were rented and don't count):

Assassin's Creed III
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Halo 4

Bought in November 2012 (-3):

New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Finished in November 2012 (2):

Skylanders Giants - The game maybe looks a little bit better but otherwise is too similar to the first. My son loves it though and that's what matters. I hope they have good new ideas in the pipeline though.
The Walking Dead - CANNOT wait for season 2. This has a very good chance of ending up my GOTY.

Currently Playing:

New Super Mario Bros. U - Pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying this. It's no Super Mario World but it's got to be the best of the entire "New SMB" series.
Nintendo Land - Already tired of some of the minigames but I can see others lasting a while for me. Even my 3 year old daughter likes swinging a sword in the Zelda one.
Paper Mario: Sticker Star - I'm disappointed that they took the RPG out of this game but I still can't put it down. I think it's the soundtrack mainly that pulls me back. It's really something special.

Netto-kun

Tales of Xillia 2 being my only purchase for November didn't go that well.
laugh.gif
Bought Street Fighter X Tekken for 63 NOK ($11/8.6€/£7) and snatched DKC 2 & 3 before Nintendo removed all the DKC games from the Wii Shop Channel.

Games bought in November:
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (Wii VC)
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (Wii VC)
Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3)

Games beaten in November:
Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3)
Sky Jumper Sol [aka Aura-Aura Climber] (DSiWare)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (DSiWare)
Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X (PSP)
Tales of Phantasia: Cross Edition (PSP)

November
Bought: 4
Beaten: 6
November score: +2

October score: +1
September score: +1
August score: +2
July score: -7
June score: +5
May score: -1
April score: +4
March score: +2
February score: +2
January score: +5

Backloggery

Um, yeah. This month went pretty terribly from a backlog perspective.

4kQDR.png

Added the following games to the backlog:
November
• Dragon's Dogma
• Earth 2160*
• Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
• Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
• S2: Silent Storm
• Another Code: Two Memories
• Another Code: R - A Journey into Lost Memories
• Spacechem
• Anomaly: Warzone Earth
• The Blackwell Legacy
• Blackwell Unbound
• Blackwell Convergence
• Blackwell Deception
• Geneforge
• Geneforge 2
• Geneforge 3
• Geneforge 4: Rebellion
• Geneforge 5: Overthrow
• Resonance
• Punch-out!!
• Trauma Center: Second Opinion
• Frog Fractions*
• The Walking Dead: Episode 5 - No Time Left
• t@g*
• Silent Hill: Book of Memories*
• Uncharted: Golden Abyss†
• Hotline Miami
• Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies
• Mr Moskeeto
• Viewtiful Joe
• The Darkness

Completed:
November
• 999: Nine hours, Nine persons, Nine doors
• Frog Fractions
• The Walking Dead: Episode 5 - No Time Left
• The Blackwell Legacy
• Miami Hotline
• Inazuma Eleven 2: Blizzard

* - free
† - "free" from Playstation Plus

Backloggery

Thores

November Update

Main Post
Backloggery

Q1 Update
April Update
May Update
June Update
July Update
August Update
September Update
October Update

Score in 2012 Pre-November: -6
Bought in November 2012: -9
Beaten in November 2012: 0
Current Score: -15

Bought:

Knights of Pen & Paper (iPhone)- Haha this game is adorable, even though it does occasionally fall into the trap of padding the game with meaningless tasks. My most recent quest was actually three back-to-back item farming quests, and it kinda sucked most of my motivation to play. Still love the aesthetic though.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star- I've been playing this on and off since I got it and my relationship with the game is complicated. The gameplay is solid, the game looks gorgeous, the presentation is hella polished, and I'm enjoying myself. But... while the Paper Mario charm is still there in small doses, it just feels neutered. Every time there's a hint of the character development and dialogue that made the last games great, the game starts to get ashamed about what it's doing and sweeps it under the rug. I'm at the final boss right now and
does Bowser, one of the characters with the best writing in the sub-series, seriously have no lines?
Uuuuuugh.

Torchlight II- Got this as a gift from a friend, and I've been playing through the game as an Embermage with him and another friend. I didn't get to play the first game before this so I kind of don't really care about the world or the story due to the feeling that I'm missing a lot of context, but man this game does do some really smart things with the Diablo-like formula. And Papillon animal companion, yes please

Dead Island- Another gift, This one is actually from April, but then starting the game fried the motherboard on my desktop. I didn't have a non-Mac computer to play it on anymore, so I didn't count it. Now that I've put together a new PC, I feel like I legit own this game again, so here it is. I'm up to Act 2 with the same two pals I'm Torchlighting with, and with them around it's a lot of fun. I don't think I would have gotten past the first dozen quests if I was playing solo.

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (PC)- And the first November sale rears its ugly head.

To The Moon- Critically acclaimed indie games + under 5 dollars= my kryptonite

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)- Oh Steam. I wasn't even making great progress without you pulling this shit.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition (PC)- Man, I hope I beat the first game sometime this decade so I end up ever playing this one.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy- And finally, Square-Enix's cutting the price in half made it so the nostalgia consumer whore in me could no longer exist. I'm saving the sweet, sweet FF tunes as a reward for after I beat Sticker Star.

Beaten:

OOPS.

If it helps at all, I got the true ending in Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward this month (which I counted as Beaten last month) and that actually took up a good portion of my time.

On The Horizon:

This month was the one I gave up on making it into the positive. It doesn't help that I already know I'm buying Crimson Shroud and Wario Land II on the 3DS eShop in December. The GAF Metroid replay thread also means I might end up beating Metroid for the first time, but also potentially buying Metroid II and Super Metroid for their respective Virtual Consoles. And I want to play catchup and buy a few 2012 releases before this year's GOTY thread to see if they qualify in my books, most notably Journey. And I probably shouldn't forget that Steam will probably have a fucking Christmas sale. This isn't fair, December is supposed to be a dead month.

At least I'm really close to beating several games. Let's see if I can keep myself from reaching -20 this year.

Update for November:

Well, so much for all of that 2012 progress...I was +17 going into the month, but went on a spending spree. The good thing is that I won't have much to buy over the next few months.

January-October (+17):

Bought (-25)
Finished (+42)

November (-18):

Bought (-20):

Dishonored (360)
Assassin's Creed III (360)
Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
Hitman: Blood Money (360)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360)
Sleeping Dogs (360)
Silent Hill: HD Collection (PS3) [2]
Jak and Daxter HD Collection (PS3) [3]
Journey: Collector's Edition (PS3) [3]
Darksiders II (360)
New Super Mario Bros. U (WiiU)
ZombiU (WiiU)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (WiiU)
Madden NFL '13 (WiiU)
Nintendo Land (WiiU)

Beaten (+2):

Bioshock 2 (360)
New Super Mario Bros. U (WiiU)

2012 Score: (-1)

http://backloggery.com/thebigg753

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Beaten in 2012: 28

November: 3

Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (11/13) -- As much as I enjoyed the PS2 Ratchet games I never actually completed any of them. Now I'm making up for lost time.

Mercenaries 2 (11/26) -- I only had to play this for two hours to finally finish it and half of that time was relearning how to play. I remembered liking it a little more when I first played it, but after playing the similar, yet vastly superior, Just Cause 2, I can see just how bad this game is. Still, how often do you get to play a game as a mowhawk-sporting Swede?

Super Mario 64 DS (11/24) -- I was pretty surprised to see how much extra content this version has over the original. The inclusion of Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario being the most visible addition but there's so much more. Unfortunately, playing as any other character than Mario began to feel like a chore after the novelty wore off. I also wasn't impressed with the new pacing. In the original you could get all but a handfull of stars by just going straight through the levels but now many are unobtainable until you unlock the various other characters.

Previous games played:
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (1/1)
Flight Control HD (1/5)
Dungeons of Dredmor (1/12)
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (1/24)
Bastion (2/2)
No More Heroes (2/23)
Endless Ocean (2/24)
Limbo (2/28)
Ben There, Dan That (3/7)
Tidalis (3/10)
Endless Ocean: Blue World (3/20)
Time Gentlemen, Please (3/27)
Ace Attourney: Justice For All (5/1)
Xenoblade Chronicles (5/5)
Nights: Journey of Dreams (5/9)
The Bourne Conspiracy (5/14)
Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent (5/24)
CivCity: Rome (6/30)
Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (7/9)
Tobe's Vertical Adventure (7/31)
Eternal Sonata (9/12)
Ratchet & Clank (9/18)
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (10/4)
Kirby Mass Attack (10/20)
Infamous 2 (10/30)

Bought: 42
Avadon: The Black Fortress
The Ball
Beep
Breath of Death VII: The Beginning
Cthulhu Saves the World
Dragon Quest IX: The Sentinel of the Starry Skies
Europa Universalis III
Forza Motorsport 2
Galactic Civilizations II
Gemini Rue
Greed Corp
Hitman: Blood Money
Infamous 2
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
The Last Remnant
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes
Mount & Blade: Warband
Nikpol: Secrets of the Immortals
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3
P.A.M.
Penumbra: Overture
Penumbra: Black Plague
Penumbra: Requiem
Quantum Conundrum
Q.U.B.E.
Ratchet and Clank Collection
Rhythm Heaven
Sideway: New York
Space Pirates and Zombies
Stacking
Super Mario 64 DS
Supreme Commander 2
The Tiny Bang Story
Tobe's Vertical Adventure
Trine 2
Vessel
Wasteland Angel
Xenoblade Chronicles
Xotic
Ys: Oath in Felghana
Zoo Tycoon 2

Total Score: -14

There's no way I'm going to end the year positive! Hell, there's probably no way I'm going to do much more since I just started playing Dragon Quest IX and have been replaying Fallout 3. Oh well.

ghibli99

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who succumbed to the crazy November sales. Well, not "glad", but perhaps comfort in the fact that I wasn't alone. :)

Christmas break is coming up, so i made myself a little christmas list of games to beat before break is over:

"Christmas List"

Resident Evil 1,2,3
Mega Man Legends 1,2
Metroid NES
Metal Gear solid 2 and 3 (maybe MSX 1)
Final Fantasy II
Rayman Origins
Binary Domain
Spec Ops The Line

AND GODDAMMIT GET A HOLD OF DONKEY KONG COUNTRY

AND SKIES OF ARCADIA I GUESS

Let's see if i can do this..