• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
My top 10 albums this year, as posted in the other GAF thread:

Don't think it'll change
b80efe23.gif

L7sq3.gif

xsPG8.jpg

General:
Very nice album in general with very low levels of filler. There were a few major misfires, but I think that they were due to trying things that could have been cool but just didn't pan out. Much better than having a bad concept to begin with. A lot of fun songs with great beats. I do feel it is lacking a little bit in variety and could have used one more GOOD slow paced song to even things out. She doesn't mess with the formula that made her famous, but it isn't stale yet so I am not going to complain too much about it. I do feel like the albums overall theme was cohesive and effective.

Warrior 2.5/5
Good opener and title track. Sets up the albums theme very well and has a different sound, but at the same time it doesn't really stand out as much as later tracks. HATE the ending.....felt like the last minute of the track was a throwaway. Really holds it back.

Die Young 4/5
Great catchy song, and I can see why it was chosen as the first single. Very “Ke$ha” without getting cliché or boring (is it possible for her to be boring?). The beat works from start to finish and keeps pushing you forward. All that said....I like the actual track LESS than I liked her AMA performance so I have a hard time listening to it sometimes.

C'Mon 4.5/5
One of my favorite songs on the album. Honestly the chorus fits perfectly with the rest of the song and the ending ramps up perfectly. My one problem is how similar it is to Die Young thematically, but thats minor. Very reminiscent of her past work but you really cannot argue with the execution. Fun as could be while exuding personality.

Thinking of You 3.5/5
Very nice hook and beat. The beginning is heavenly and I had sky high expectations. The song is reminiscent of early 2000's poprock in a lot of ways, but its not so much that it becomes distracting. Really is a jam. The electronic breakdown portion of the song I found distracting, and it failed add anything of importance which way a major issue. Lyrically one of the most creative songs on the album.

Crazy Kids 3/5
This song has grown on me a lot since I first heard it....initially I didn't like it as all. Not sure about the genre mashup going on here. It doesn't really do anything for me. I do like that this track shows off her vocal abilities a bit (not that anyone listens to e Ke$ha album for vocals).

Wherever You Are 2.5/5
Fairly generic pop song....with a beat overlayed. Nothing really special or catchy about it in general. Still, there isn’t anything that really bother's me about it either. Big fat “meh”.

Dirty Love 4.5/5
This is the variety that the album desperately needed. Very different song and beat. Fun rhythm, lyrics, and organization. Jut enough classic Ke$ha sound to make it fit in to the album. No real disappointing moments that I caught in a few listens. Just fun! I am not sure I would like it as a standalone track outside the setting of the album.

Wonderland 1/5
Its fairly odd to just hear Ke$ha sing.....she has a fairly generic voice for this type of slower track. Still, it is something that I felt the album needed.....they could have chosen a better song to fill the role though. No real rising or falling action throughout the whole song (a crime) which kind of killed it for me. Just boring.

Only Wanna Dance With You 2/5
First song on the album that I felt was filler. Really didn't work with her vibe/voice. Didn't feel like it belonged on the album at all. *thumbsdown* Felt like a reject track from One Direction's first album.....

Supernatural 3/5
I know everyone raves about this song. It doesn't do a lot for me overall, but its not bad. Has some very catchy moments scattered throughout. HATE the verse while I enjoy the chorus. Breakdown was the best on the album. Still....not enough to make me love the song. Overall enjoyable but could have been better.

All That Matters (The Beautiful Life) 3.5/5
Catchy pop track. Probably the catchiest on the album outside of maybe C'Mon. The song could have used a tiny bit more variety in intensity, though it does have a nice pullback near the end, to put it over the top. Still, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Love Into The Light 4.5/5
The existence of this song is the reason why Wonderland sucks. This song is slow, yet still goes places, all while showing off Ke$ha's voice and vibe. <3<3<3. The rise and fall throughout the track are perfectly timed. I am a sucker for this type of song and it really works for me on almost every level. Relaxing without being boring....I would actually like to see this as a single. WOULD have been a 5/5 if it wasn't for the last 30 seconds.....I hate those gimmicks.

botty

Banned
Good Review, Wafflecakes.

Oh... Unorthodox Jukebox is shit. I only like "Locked Out of Heaven" and "Moonshine."

Oh well.

imHWDktp1Kdom.gif

edit: "Treasure" is a good song too.

Dat banner. When will your faves?
<3

Good Review, Wafflecakes.

imHWDktp1Kdom.gif
Thanks! I would have liked to type more but I am in the middle of finals and just threw together a banner and went...also skipped bonus tracks. May come back and update later.

Wonderland is one of my favourites on the album =(

I just find it so boring. Reminds me of 70's/80's country music in that it has no real rising or falling action. No drama. Just soooooo bleh. (may just be boring in comparison to her album....maybe I will try listening to it by itself and see if I like it more)

You need to hear the deluxe edition tracks Wafflecakes.

Listened to them all once. Just busy with finals.....didn't feel like putting forth the extra effort right now.

Great review Wafflecakes :)

My top ten albums of 2012 are as follows:

1) Mumford and Sons - Babel
2) Christina Aguilera - Lotus
3) Leona Lewis - Glassheart
4) Madonna - MDNA
5) No Doubt - Push And Shove
6) Passion Pit - Gossamer
7) Wynter Gordon - Human Condition: Doleo
8) Ke$ha - Warrior
9) Scissor Sisters - Magic Hour
10) Lana Del Rey - Born To Die: Paradise Edition

Counting only pop:

1) Christina Aguilera - Lotus
2) Leona Lewis - Glassheart
3) Madonna - MDNA
4) No Doubt - Push And Shove
5) Wynter Gordon - Human Condition: Doleo
6) Ke$ha - Warrior
7) Scissor Sisters - Magic Hour
8) Lana Del Rey - Born To Die: Paradise Edition
9) Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded
10) Rihanna - Unapologetic

DMeisterJ

Banned
This weeks sales are in.

Unapologetic suffers a 70% drop, directly in line with almost every other big release that has come out this year such as RED, Believe, both of 1D's albums, etc.

iheartrihannaslayingbm0ptg.gif

Xtina tho

17 41 CHRISTINA AGUILERA RCA 14,415

MESSSSSSSSSSSS

is4GXLsrRltDg.gif

160k for Keys......ouch. Painful.

Rih's drop was pretty much what would be expected. 1D, Phillip Phillips, and especially Taylor staying steady......

That Xtina 3rd week drop was pretty massive. Last weeks drop was actually impressively small....looks like it was a fluke.

Bladenic

160k for Keys......ouch. Painful.

Rih's drop was pretty much what would be expected. 1D, Phillip Phillips, and especially Taylor staying steady......

That Xtina 3rd week drop was pretty massive. Last weeks drop was actually impressively small....looks like it was a fluke.

It was BF and I guess the big promo during that week? Idk. But BF definitely helped.

Trigger

It's amusing to see Phillip Phillips doing so well since I dragged him for absolute filth in the last American Idol thread. Here he is doing decent sales numbers and I even have the album too.

It's amusing to see Phillip Phillips doing so well since I dragged him for absolute filth in the last American Idol thread. Here he is doing decent sales numbers and I even have the album too.

It eats at my soul...... of all the Idol contestants to be a success....

Why him?

royalan

The Lotus drop was MASSIVE, but expected.

Xtina's back on the promo trail starting this week though. Just A Fool was officially released to radio today and she's doing Ellen this Friday.

There are also rumors that she'll be performing on Idol this year. Hopefully this is true because that'll mean she's going to stick with Lotus, and not drop it like she did Bionic.

It'll also make for an....interesting confrontation, considering who's on the panel.

There are also rumors that she'll be performing on Idol this year. Hopefully this is true because that'll mean she's going to stick with Lotus, and not drop it like she did Bionic.

It'll also make for an....interesting confrontation, considering who's on the panel.

You mean Nicki or Mariah??? What happened

He's trying to say that doing the same thing that many others have done (Taylor Swift) is wrong, and her sales don't count. That 'thing' is not putting their album up for listening on music streaming services.

Is there any real evidence that that effects sales? 1D had a huge opening and I hadn't heard anything them keeping their music off streaming sites.

Artemisia

Banned
He's trying to say that doing the same thing that many others have done (Taylor Swift) is wrong, and her sales don't count. That 'thing' is not putting their album up for listening on music streaming services.

Well, it's pretty obvious that Taylor would have got her number 1 either way.

Rihanna has frequently missed the number 1 position before, so her avoiding streaming is a reason to doubt if she would get that number 1 spot had things been handled differently.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Is there any real evidence that that effects sales? 1D had a huge opening and I hadn't heard anything them keeping their music off streaming sites.

No, don't think so.

Well, it's pretty obvious that Taylor would have got her number 1 either way.

Rihanna has frequently missed the number 1 position before, so her avoiding streaming is a reason to doubt if she would get that number 1 spot had things been handled differently.

I do agree it is a reason to doubt, but there is nothing unscrupulous about wanting to sell albums.

Delio

Oh all the flop winners of Idol ( minus Kelly) why is he even relevant. I only stanned him during Idol for his gay antics with the asian dude.

Oh all the flop winners of Idol ( minus Kelly) why is he even relevant. I only stanned him during Idol for his gay antics with the asian dude.

I hated both of them lol. So obnoxious.

I take my reality TV too seriously I suppose...bothers me when contestants don't take it seriously.

Still. I have a hard time rooting against any Idol contestant who find success.....

royalan

Phillip Phillips isn't doing much better than other idol contestants have...initially.

Longevity is the key and so far the Jury is still out on him. I just don't see it.

Trigger

Well, Home reminds me of a Mumford & Sons song and he's got the Idol machine working so I guess I can sorta understand it.

Phillip Phillips isn't doing much better than other idol contestants have...initially.

Longevity is the key and so far the Jury is still out on him. I just don't see it.

Not even slightly true. Home is the biggest debut single from an Idol contestant EVER....passed Kelly's Moment Like This.... His album sales also compare very favorably with Scotty's. He BLOW's Scott out of the water on radio presence.

He really is smashing. Though we will see if he has a decent second single in the pipeline.

royalan

Not even slightly true. Home is the biggest debut single from an Idol contestant EVER....passed Kelly's Moment Like This.... His album sales also compare very favorably with Scotty's. He BLOW's Scott out of the water on radio presence.

He really is smashing. Though we will see if he has a decent second single in the pipeline.

But none of this is surprising. Of course his single is performing better than other Idol contestants. It's a singles world now. People always use that defense when someone tries to brag about album sales, and it works both ways. I think his deficiency in album sales compared to other winners balances this out.

The true test will be his second single performance, IMO.

botty

Banned
After hearing Bruno Mars' album I can now debut my top 5 songs of 2012:

s7JjM.jpg

You would be lying if you didn't agree with at least one of these songs.
qzpll.gif

Mau ®

Funny you're the broken one when Im the only one that needed saving.

i66Lj1MVC78Pn.gif

Cuz when you never see the light is hard to know which one of us is caving.

i66Lj1MVC78Pn.gif

But none of this is surprising. Of course his single is performing better than other Idol contestants. It's a singles world now. People always use that defense when someone tries to brag about album sales, and it works both ways. I think his deficiency in album sales compared to other winners balances this out.

The true test will be his second single performance, IMO.

Meh. Even if you just look at airplay....no sales...Home is probably the most successful debut single from an Idol contestant ever (Kelly MAY be close.....measuring radio airplay is harder).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom